Crying Dragon - Samheen 24, MT (Open)

Moderator: Mods

Crying Dragon - Samheen 24, MT (Open)

Post by Guest »

Most of those outside this morning were running late. They rushed by with full wagons and creaking carts, preparing for the daily market under the Great Dome. The weather had stayed cool after the rainstorm two days back. The clouds had not completely dissipated and, though the ground remained dry beneath the domes, the air was heavy with moisture.

Roland made it through the morning streets of Sabata without incident but there were times, and more than two, that Roland felt like he was being followed. Stranger’s glances would linger and his suspicions would rise instantly. His heart beat faster every time stones would rattle across the street or camels would snort unexpectedly. It was a long, stressful walk back to the tavern.

The Crying Dragon was subdued this late Morning Tide. Most of the early risers had left for the day and only a handful of patrons milled about the common room. A lone barmaid roamed the room and even the bar was conspicuously empty. The only sign of life came from the ever present Gharibu hovering about the entrance waiting for the day’s customers. While the lunch break was rarely busy, it wasn’t quiet either and within a mark, the common room would be lively enough that he would not be resting. He was busy preparing a table near a window in the front when Roland entered. Looking up, the bald master of the tavern smiled in recognition.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland gave a pleasant smile to the omnipresent landlord of the Dragon when he arrived back, but it was mainly for show. His heart was no longer pounding like it was but he knew- not felt, knew- that he'd been followed back here. Once again he cursed himself.

Did he really expect he could turn down Ramessu- a man used to getting what he wanted- and there would be no repercussions? That the councillor would simply bid him goodbye and good luck?

But now he needed time to think: time to organize his thoughts and come up with something resembling a plan. Given Ramessu's power and influence in Sabata Roland had already surmised, a little sadly if he was honest, that he would have to leave the city...

But first he needed Sabata's most valuable commodity: information. And the man to impart it was smiling benignly at him right now.

"Good afternoon Gharibu," Roland walked swiftly over to the innkeeper and shook his hand, showing respect for the one man (as yet...) who had been straight with him. "I know not if you're busy, but I was wondering if I could have a moment of your time. I need some information, perhaps a few more of the tips you supplied last time."

Roland smiled easily and broke his handshake. "And I believe a man in your position is always a good stop for... enlightenment."

He gestured to a corner of the almost-empty tavern. Roland knew that the odds of them being overheard in a room virtually devoid of life except for the barmaid was slim, but he was taking no chances after what he'd just seen. "Shall we?"

OOC: By the by, when do I get my skills upgraded? Have I even earned them yet? Or are they dished out to everyone at a set time? :D

Post by Guest »

Gharibu watched Roland with cautious and concerned eyes. The old warrior had an instinct for sensing troubles. It was an instinct that served him well in Sabata's most popular tavern. There was never a shortage of troubles in the Crying Dragon.

"Of course, my friend," replied Gharibu, leading Roland to one of the smaller tables in the shadows. Here in the common room, their meeting would be less suspicious but there was always the risk of an eavesdropper. The curtained rooms behind the double doors would offer complete privacy but conversations held there were supposed to be secret. Roland had chosen the best way to have a discreet conversation without calling attention to himself.

Gharibu sat and motioned for Roland to do the same. He smiled a slow, understanding smile.

"What may I do to help, my western friend? I am guessing this is not about the quality of your room."
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland smiled a little as he sat down, amused at Gharibu's jovial insightfulness. Yes, he was probably the one man in Sabata the young mercenary was comfortable with. Speaking of which...

"No, No, Gharibu, of course not. There is very little to complain of in this place anyway, you'll be glad to hear." He leaned forward a little, shoulders hunched, trying to convey the urgency of his request. Gharibu followed suit.

"What I have said and seen and done today I need not go into, as it could endanger you as much as myself, and I would not want that. However, it means that I am once again a soldier without orders, and I crave them. I need your help Gharibu. Do you know of anyone- not Harkhebi of his like- who has need for a man like me? Someone who could pay for and treat reasonably a good swordsman? Someone perhaps criminal or similar ilk-" Roland smiled cynically, events of the past few days surging round him- "I've noticed the law here seems to be worse than those who break it."

Roland waited expectantly for Gharibu's answer, half-knowing the jovial but wise landlord would probably not put himself out for Roland, but hoping he could get something from the old salt...
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Post by Ilaria da'Margeir. »

Gharibu nodded sympathetically throughout Roland's story, as if he had heard the same thing from countless other travelers. Once Roland finished, Gharibu stared long and hard at him, as if trying to pierce the depths of Roland's soul. After what seemed like an eternity, Gharibu nodded his head slowly and simply said, "You'll do. I can help you, but the path won't be easy. If you want my help, come back here after I've closed down the place. I'll leave the door openfor you. Stay out in the common area until I call you to the back room." He firmly nodded his head, as if to say that was the end of the matter, at least for now. Any questions asked by Roland would not be answered until later, should Roland choose to accept his help. Ghribu quickly put on a smiling face, and went to help another patron. Roland now had two options: he could stay and try to strike up some sort of conversation with some of the friendlier looking patrons, or he could venture outside and enjoy the refreshingly cool day.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Image is copyright Electra and www.project812.com
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

IC: Roland watched the still-smiling Gharibu weave his way through the Dragon's main floor with practiced ease, a smiled, hiding it under a low nod. appearances could indeed be deceiving...

he didn't know who are what to expect from Gharibu, but he knew it was probably better than what Ramessu had to offer. Now he simply had to wait until Gharibu closed up shop and gave him the nod.

Roland sighed and stood up slowly. He hated waiting.

He walked to the bar and swiftly ordered an ale. Now more confident in his new surroundings Roland felt comfortable with drinking... just not to excess, like the last time...

A long sip obliterated the memory and Roland turned his attention to the rest of the Crying Dragon, running an appraising eye over the currently-sparse clientele. Nothing to worry about: by Gravetide it would be full to bursting.

A quiet conversation with a stranger was always something Roland had found rewarding, and a great way to ward off the ponderous passage of time. His eyes flitted over faces and peoples, looking for someone who clicked in his mind...

OOC: Nice to meet ya Ilaria, hope we enjoy posting! Bit stuck at the end there, wanted to talk to others but currently NO-ONE THERE! Sure you have a solution, so speak to ya next time! :lol: :lol:
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

OOC: I'm sure we'll have a wonderfully evil time together :twisted: For now, a short post which will be followed by a much longer post depending upon what you do lol.

IC: The Crying Dragon was indeed almost empty. Along with Roland, there were only three other patrons occupying seats in the tavern. There was a rather surly looking red haired male dwarf sitting in one of the corner tables, staring long and hard into his mug of beer. He seemed to be trying to find the answer to a very difficult problem at the bottom of his mug, but was having some troubles. Over by one of the windows sat a very regal looking elf who looked very uncomfortable in the desert climate of Sabata. Elves were very rare in Sabata, due to the fact that the climate was very hard on them. A curious looking female with pale blonde, almost white hair, and milk white skin that didn't seem to be marked by the sun was currently entered the establishment, giving a slight nod to everyone and sat down at the bar and waited for Gharibu to serve her.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

IC: Blimey its like Blind Date! De-LIGHTfully fiendish :twisted: ! Thunk I'll look forward to posting with ya Il! :wink:

OOC: Roland took in the three patrons with quietly appraising eyes, taking in the features and manners of each. They all had their particualr fascinations for the young soldier, especially one with such an inquisitive nature as Roland.

The dwarf looked like a man who needed an answer to something, something that could apparently only be found in the bottom of a mug of ale. Well, not a bad place to go for a solution... depending on the problem. He would certainly make for engaging conversation, although...

No, not him. He had a surly air about him and after the last few days Roland wnted to keep his distance from trouble of all kinds.

The elf was a particular interest to Roland. He knew as well as any other that their kind were rare in this part of the world, even unheard of in places. And yet here was one, and a particularly... impressive one at that. His story would certainly be fascinating... but Roland cast him out of mind as well, and for the completely wrong reason...

A woman.

Roland was not made of stone. He was a soldier, now a mercenary and as such had to maintain a hard life, a strict routine for survival if nothing else. Still he still possessed a yearning for the opposite sex present in all Natures creations. He watched them, was fascinated by them, had puzzled over them and even thought he loved one...

And yet, he had never... known a woman, in the physical sense. He still believed even in his educated mind that until he could never really know women until then.

But the days bewildering and exhilirating events had given Roland courage, and - along with a host of problems- a rush of the like one can only attain in combat. And that boosted him even more.

She was a fair woman; Roland was not blind. But he would not try to woo her, not here and not now. He had far more important affairs to attend to. But she would be pleasent conversation, or so he hoped...

He wandered over and sipped his beer, planting it on the bar next to her. She turned to look at him as he seated himself next to her, and he gave her a friendly smile: open, pleasent but not lecherous. The gods forbid...

"Good norning, my lady. Pardon my inrustion, but would you honour me with your company? I need only to mark time, and seek a pleasent voice to converse with." Roland raised his hands in front of his face, palms forward in innocence. The smile stayed as it was.

"No tricks, no... alternate agenda. What say you, lady...?"

He waited expactantly for her name, secretly hoping he hadn't in some way already scared her off.

OOC: Wait a sec... surly ginger dwarf, tall regal elf, milk white blonde resembling a Nordic maiden... am I detecting a little Lord of the Rings parallel here? heheheh :P :D
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

OOC: D'oh! :lol: I was just thinking about some common stereotypes for dwarves and elves. Guess that's all my mush of a brain could think of after the wonderfully long test that I had just taken. As for the girl...well there's more to her than what you would think

IC: Before the woman could even get a word out, Gharibu came out of nowhere and swooped the tiny woman into a ferocious hug. "Zhanna! How has my favorite dark lady doing today," he rumbled, with a wink in Roland's direction. "This woman is absolutely amazing. She has the most limitless knowledge of...plants out of everyone that I know. Amazing!"

Zhanna blushed and replied slowly, with a thick accent that Roland and most others couldn't place, "Now, now Gharibu, you know that you could learn if you only applied yourself. Anyway, here is the stuff you asked for. Just put it out on a plate in a corner somewhere and it will get rid of any rodents that are pestering you. Just make sure that no little ones get their hands on it or both of us could end up in loads of trouble."

Gharibu took the packet that Zhanna had offered him and grinned, "You know I'll be forever in your debt. Oh! I've forgotten my manners. Zhanna, this is Roland. He will hopefully be coming to help us out. He's managed to get himself on the "good" side of Ramessu and Harkhebi . Perhaps you can show him around the city until the others get here tonight." And with that, Gharibu disappeared into one of the back rooms, humming to himself."

Zhanna smiled and shook her head. She turned towards Roland and offered him a radiant smile. "So, Roland. What did you do to get yourself in the good graces of Ramessu?"

Veritas vos liberabit

Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

OOC: Ah, well you'll have to forgive Roland: like most men when it comes to the opposite sex he thinks with the lower part of his body. 8) Still, looking promising and and tantalizing Il; can't all be mush, eh? :lol:

IC: Roland did a quick double-take on hearing Zhanna's question, preoccupied as he was with what he saw as a gross error on Gharibu's part. Ramessu's "good graces"?! He considered himself lucky the Councillor hadn't had him killed or arrested yet, or sicced Harkhebi and his men on him. And judging by his watchers on the way to the Dragon, he already had...

But for now he had other "business" to attend to, of a more pleasant variety (he hoped). He decided to play it straight with Zhanna, or as straight as he would allow.

"Let's just say I retrieved some stolen goods for him, but was unwilling to enter a long-term contract with the man. Now I'm not sure whether or not he'll have me killed or just exiled."

"Anyway, we'll get to that later. What about you, mistress Zhanna? A botanist are we? I see already that you have knowledge of the more..." he mused over the right word, nodding at Gharibu's direction, "mortal plants of Tazlure. How does that aid you in Sabata, or did it bring you here? And... what is that accent of yours?"

Roland caught himself just in time, the idea suddenly dawning that he was suffocating the poor woman. "I'm sorry mistress, just a little inquisitive is all. You need not answer all that... only what you're comfortable with."

Roland took a swig of his drink and waited for Zhanna to answer, cogs already turning in his mind that this mysterious woman may be able to help him...
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

"Ah well, I too am in the "good graces" of Ramessu,"Zhanna said, laughing, "He didn't seem to like it very much when he found out that it was by one of my poisons that some of his men died. He now keeps a very close watch on my shop." She gestured vaguely to the outside and said, "I own a small shop up the street a ways called Rare Blessings. To the right people, my trade is very valuable."

Zhanna gave a small mysterious smile before continuing, "And as for what broght me here, well, Darien could probably give you a better answer to that question. He's the one that broght me back here to Sabata. I suppose it was my "exoticness" and my knowledge of the arcane arts. Have you been to the bath house yet? Those trees were my doing. They remind me of the ones from back home." At the mention of her home, Zhanna got a faraway look in her eyes and it was a few moments before she continued. "Well Roland, it seems that we have two options here. We can continue talking in here, or we can go for a walk around the city and I can show you some places that will be of interest to you."

Veritas vos liberabit

Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland listened intently to Zhanna as she talked, silently impressed at her accomplishments. The trees at the Bathhouse were extraordinary indeed, bursts of magical life amid the harshest dirt in the Western Kingdom. Someone who could nurture such life and natural art was indeed skilled.

As was someone who had apparent skill with poisons. Roland knew that this slight looking girl was probably as lethal as he, if only with some herbs and a glass of wine than a sword... or perhaps with that as well!

But to the present! Roland downed his remaining ale with a hefty slug and a grin, happy to have met such a personable being. A tour around town wouldn't go amiss with him, especially with such lovely company, and Gharibu's meeting was not for a while yet

"It would be an honour, Zhanna, to be led by such a gifted person as yourself. Lead the way!"

He stood from his seat and almost unconsciously checked his weapons. Sword in scabbard, dagger at his belt and a knife hidden in his boot, just in case. Only his bow and quiver were missing, still up in his room.

Roland was happy to oblige Zhanna for a tour, yes, but the past few days had taught him one needed to be on guard at all times in Sabata...
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Zhanna watched as Roland checked his weapons. "No need to be shy about checking your weapons. You can't be too careful, especially in a city like this. I think you're a very shrewd person, which is exactly what Gharibu's partners need. I think you'll prove to be a great asset. Now, if you're ready, off to the city!"

OOC: Ok, you can post here

Veritas vos liberabit

Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”