The Scillus, Upper Decks - Samheen 24 TT

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

OOC: Guys, I wasn't clear if you were continuing your discussion or heading on deck. I am going to assume you did not head back up yet. Also, Maverick, check you PMs.

IC:

"I've seen signs of the soldiers aboard," added T'kil. "It seems I did not do enough investigation as to the 'cargo' of this vessel before choosing it as a likely method of transport. It is strange though. This ship could not hold more than a hundred soldiers. I would doubt we're heading for a direct conflict, more likely an outpost," reasoned the shaman. To Jack and Maverick, it seemed odd that one of the People would be so familiar with the ways of the 'wetlanders.' Clearly he had spent a significant amount of time in their society.

"As to the politics of the guarrdi, though," contined the Shaman, "it would not surprise me if those nations are at war, but no word has reached Sabata yet that I know. Granted, I've been a bit preoccupied, I might have missed it which is too bad. War would be particularly popular gossip. Perhaps it is recent?" He sighed deeply.

"Regardless, it is an ill omen. You two should head up. If we are caught talking . . ." He left the sentence unfinished ominously.

"I will hide . . ." he sniffed, "better," he added. "When you learn more, return so we can determine how we will act and how we can find Amica."

Post by Guest »

"We are going Northeast," Maverick told them both, "So Taquar is not our ultimate goal. Should we remain on this course we'd likely end up in Kislovan or Pan's Isle, but perhaps the capital of the Empire is going to be our port of call. Strange though, for I have seen no diplomats on board, and for a trade mission you would perhaps not need this many soldiers for your protection." Unless you know of an outpost that is easily conquered with easy pickings that you are ready to abandon as soon as you've collected your treasure. Mavericks eyes narrowed Or if you are simply reinforcements for troops already there.

Maverick stared at the strange shaman with some suspicion, noticing how eager he was to get rid of them.. He knows as much of guarddi things as I know of the People... not much but more than average. "So Jack, are you going to explain to me what this is all about," he said pleasantly, but with a firmness that warned it could turn nasty pretty quickly "Or shall I have to beat it out of you?"
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

ooc: sorry its a bit late, tis the season...

Jack felt himself grow more aware of Maverick - it was something he did whenever he felt a little threatened. Jack focused a little more, listened clearly and there was a seconds pause, a momentary tension to the scene.

Abruptly Jack laughed, "You wouldn't be the first to try friend." And he gave a side-long glance to T'kil. "It is not truely my story to tell in all honesty - not yet. This man and his darling wife wished passage on the Scillus, passage Rezon refused. In short they are stow-aways." Jack turned and looked Maverick in the eye, "Though if their story be true, then they have a mighty powerful reason to be on board and that is no mistake."

Jack finished off the horse, checking the buckles and the cargo around to ensure none had been displaced by the take-off.

"It is T'kil's tale should he wish to tell it, but I figured it was greater evil not to let them on board than to fit two people into the crawl-space for a couple of days. I dont know Maverick, make of it what you will."
Last edited by Jack Farrell on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

T'kil looked suspiciously at Jack. The shift in his eyes clearly indicated he'd expected more support from Amica's chosen ally. He wondered, if Captain Rezon were to walk down the ramp, would this Jack introduce the situation the same? The shaman's grip tightened visibly around the shaft of the spear he held.

"You ask if now, young guarrdi?" asked T'kil. He kept his voice low and even and glared at Jack ominously. "Now , when we are conveniently aboard and vulnerable, seems a little late to voice your doubts."

He peered at both men, trying to guage their intention. The two rookie airmen could see the man felt threatened and uncertain.

"The ways of the Desert are not the ways of the City," he began looking intently at Maverick. "You know this well.

"In the Desert, there are mysteries . . .spirits, and powers flowing behind all we see. It is magic and yet is not, for it simply is the way of life. They are symbiotic, I think. The desert cannot be what it is without the magic and the magic would not be what it was without the desert. It is the role of the Shaman, myself and Amica, to understand the relationship between these powers and our people."

T'kil had started wandering about the small hold as he spoke. He was an animated speaker, using both his hands and the spear to emphasize his point. He still looked intently at Maverick while he walked, trying to explain his postion but not sounding desperate.

"If you have been among my people you know of the Dragons. Few who live in Sabata do not, but those in the Great Desert know them all the better. I would wager that you've seen at least one harry a trading caravan in your trips through our lands.

"I tell you if you have seen one, you will see more, unless Amica fulfills her quest. The Great Wind Dragon Aeis has chosen to make war upon our people. If she succeeds, she will draw every tribe into a conflict. Not just with her, but with all of her kin. And from there, the conflict will spread. Aeis has taken something so precious to the People that we cannot bear to let her keep it. It is Amica's quest to recover what Aeis has stolen. The spirits have given me the charge of watching her."

T'kil had walked almost a complete circle around the pair, lost in his explanation and waving his hands. He moved, breathed, and paused as if he'd prepared the story a thousand times but never had the chance to tell it to someone who might not already know the details.

Taking a deep breath, he placed both hands on the spear and lowered the point toward the ground. Eerily, the tip began to glow with a sickly green light and when it did both Jack and Maverick could see a strange shape had appeared on the floor. Near their feet was a crude but recognizable circle made from what appeared to be colored sand. Both men were inside the circle.

"Yes," said T'kil slowly, "my people have exiled me. I am the diseased, the heretic, the forever penitent. Never will they let my words interpret the spirits will for them again." He lowered the spear to touch the circle and instantly the circle of colored sand began to sparkle unnaturally.

"Yet, they are my tribes. My People. And I will stop at nothing to save them. Our quarry lies in the West, in her lair in the mountainous border of the Desert you call the Howling Ice Mountains. Desert travel is too slow. Already, time wastes. Even now, as we sit explaining the peril, Aeis tightens her grip on the Peshawgo, the Lost One she has stolen. The spirits chose to provide this vessel as a means to reach our goal. No matter that it goes the wrong direction. We will use it to take us to the Mountains."

He level his gaze at both men and tightened his jaw.

"You have options, guarrdi," explained the shaman. "You can choose to fight us, to prevent us from taking this ship. We are only two. But I warn you, neither of us fear death in pursuit of this task."

The sparkling of circle of sand flared with an angry green light. Maverick and Jack could see that the shaman was exerting a tremendous amount of force on the spear. His knuckles were white and a bead of sweat was just forming on his forehead. The shaman was struggling to keep whatever power he held in his hands at bay.

"Or, you can choose to help us." He grimaced as the green light flared even brighter.

"I suggest you choose quickly. The spirits are fickle with how they grant us their powers with the Peshawgo gone. We have no more time to waste and I cannot tease Annuire, Amica's spear, much longer."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Gaius wrote:
"The ways of the Desert are not the ways of the City," he began looking intently at Maverick. "You know this well.

Maverick nodded, not bothering to spill air on the confirmation. Yes, the strange shaman cut right through the outside looks of the young man before him, like the People of the Sand were wont to do. Maverick had stayed with the tribes on more than on occassion and knew their ways well. T'kil's story of magick and spirits was a familiar one and Maverick would not snort. He had seen too much evidence of its power.

It was time for a story, and T'kil walked around with the characteristic movements of a storyteller, so respected among his people.

"You wife would war on a dragon? That one has great courage," Maverick said in a formal tone, but with rising anticipation "Each dragon I've seen was always one too many. At times I escaped with nothing but my life. They have a great love for spices." Kill a dragon, perhaps more.. and all this by first winning an airship for yourself with not only a crew but half a legion as well... this Amica is not short of amibition.. she'll likely get us all killed. "What is this Peshawgo that was lost to your People, holy one? If you would risk our lives with you, then we should be considered of your tribe and worthy to share this information with."

"Do not use your magicks upon me, shaman" Maverick said angrily as they were suddenly surrounded by a glyph. It was no surprise for him that the man was an exile from his own People. This was not an honorable act "I am willing to consider your story, but do not force my hand. I do not like to be bound for I am not a dog. Tell me truthfully why this Peshawgo is so important to the People and let me chose of my own free will if I can join your quest. " After all.. if it was really important to the people there might well be interesting trade opportunities later, or perhaps a reward of some kind. Maverick did not have anything in particular going on right now and so was free to persue such silly quests, with the right persuasion. He also knew, in the back of his mind where he not readily admitted it, that he had no wish to see the People of the Sands at war with another nation. It was at the very least bad for business.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack was a practical man, one to believe what he saw. What he saw now scared him.

He had believed Amica, she had a certain persuasion about her but once the fantasy of it had fled, he had spent more time considering her tale and how far-fetched it seemed to be. Now, with glowing sand and a man seemingly fighting with his own spear, Jack was out of his depth.

He listened to Maverick speak and agreed heartily with the sentiment. He was a simple man, a slave in truth but he felt he understood the mind of men to some degree.

"This Aeis." He said, backing away from the man with the spear and the glowing sand he stood on "- she could unite the dragon nation?" Jack found it hard to believe, even the few tales of Dragons that he had heard depicted Dragons as solitary territorial creatures. "If they want war so bad, then killing the figure head will make them even more volotile wont it? Unless this Peshwago she owns is the key."

Jack looked down at the green sand beneath his feet. He did not know what it was but he did not like it. He edged away from the circle a little faster, one hand drifting to the knife at the small of his back.

"You said you felt magics here, don't you think that this palour trick won't attract the eye of those that cast it? Damn it, I have seen camels that can hide better than you."

Jack grew worried and he knew an edge of panic entred his voice. "If you want to try and storm the ship then go ahead." He knew his grin was a little too wide here but a certain resolve stiffened his spine. "But you may find a shaman finds it hard to cast with fifteen arrows in his back as in case you have not noticed this ship is filled with soldiers. Now sit back, let me find Amica and we can think about how we can act to our best intrests." He watched the Shaman. Any sudden movement would have Jack's knife spinning through the air. Amica be damned - he did not want to die this day to some glowing green sand.
Last edited by Jack Farrell on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The green glow died suddenly as T'kil removed the spear from the sand.

"My tribe, guarrdi? Neither of you, nor Amica, can be of my tribe," he said bitterly, disgusted at both the question and the answer it required from him.

"You think my act dishonorable?" he asked incredulously. He glared at Maverick.

"Perhaps I overreacted," he admitted. "But now I know where you stand."

"He," said T'kil, jabbing a finger toward Jack, "tells you my People are in danger, I tell you the People are in danger and still you seek to barter more knowledge for your aid. You ask one of the greatest secrets of my People. Are you saying that you will judge the reason Amica and I seek the Peshawgo?" T'kil shook his head in disgust at the notion.

"I do not have time to bandy arguments about. If you wish to learn about the Peshawgo, you must ask Amica. She is his kholen, not I. But, to meet Amica, you must be willing to help me.

If it is honor you want, then I will tell you my intention. I intend to use this ship to go west across the desert. I will take it no matter the cost, but," he hesitated and took a deep breath. He was calming down.

"Do not misunderstand. We are not making war against this ship or its crew. We simply need the ship. And I understand there are ways to reach this goal without killing. But that is where I need your help. I do not have a plan for taking this ship other than by force. Two shamans of the black tribe against your half a legion is not a contest. But let us see where subterfuge might serve us better.

"He," said T'kil, again jabbing a finger toward Jack, "offers to go find Amica. I suggest we let him. And when he returns, Amica can enlighten you as to the nature of the Peshawgo and our fight against Aeis."
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

ooc: Merry christmas!
ic:

Jack shook himself. The magic over he felt, more than anything that he just wanted to be out of this hold. He nodded to Maverick and the shaman "Ill try the other holds, maybe ask around carefully - maybe she has also been discovered." He checked his knife in his belt and spun, leaving the hold with all due haste.

He figured he might pop into the other holds and at least check, he did not know how well she had hidden but maybe he might call her name if there was no one around. He had to be careful though, he could not just do a systematic sweep of the ship. He bit his lip as he tried to form some sort of plan.

He would have to report for duty, see what would be required of the Cabin boy, he could look for Amica in the mean-time.

Post by Guest »

Maverick shook his head with a sigh. Just taking somebody's word for it without further explanation to undertake such a huge task seemed rather naive to him and if that is what Jack did.. somehow it appeared out of character even in the small period he had gotten to know the man. It was just like the People of the Sand however to think their word was enough for the most fantastic tale. "I shall ask your wife then, shaman," he said relunctantly, knowing he was getting in way over his head with this adventure "And ask her what it is like to be the kholen of this Peshawgo. I have no wish to cause danger to your People, but perhaps my small brains and even smaller courage need the reassurance."

He pondered how they would take such a huge ship, and operate it without causing dead or injured. At the very least they needed a few of the crewmen alive and working with them. Maverick had no wish to war with anybody from the Mouth. They were in general good costumers and to mesh with one of their airships was a sure way of getting on their bad side. That interferred with business. Something more subtle than all out violence was needed.

"Do you have a sleeping draught, T'kil ? Or perhaps a spell of either sleep or charm? Or we may kidnap one or two of their senior officers and hold them under threat of death" Maverick thought aloud, "For we'll need something as a leverage. By force seems out of the question even if we wanted to. These are trained men, and on the airships they only tolerate the best of the best. It is the Condotierre legion that traditionally mans their airflotilla. They are a great deal more efficient than any guarrdi force in Sabata." Do you even know who you are messing with?

Maverick sighed again and stared at T'kil wearily.

OOC: Happy New Year ;)
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Jack
Jack had no sooner left the confines of the hold when he heard a familiar voice.

“Farrell,” growled the deep voice of Luis. He was one level above Jack on the ramp leading between decks. He stood like he owned the ship, one hand confidently resting on a railing while his other rested on the handle of his belt knife. In the dim light, Jack could not help but compare the quartermaster to a stereotypical pirate.

“You and the horse must be getting along,” he sneered. “Rezon said to tell you to head to his cabin when you’ve finished if I saw you. Apparently, you’re capable of more things than wiping a horse’s arse.”

Luis continued down the ramp and moved to pass Jack.

“Out of my way pup,” huffed Luis. “I have one last cargo to check before I eat.”

~

Maverick

T’kil relaxed even further and drew back away from the circle of sand. With a sigh, he leaned the spear against the wall, a small show of trust. At least visibly, the shaman was unarmed.

“There is wisdom in you then. For that, I am grateful,” said T’kil to Maverick. He turned and nodded toward Jack. “Be cautious,” he warned. The young man moved toward the ramp and Maverick and T’kil listened as his boot steps faded in as he went up the ramp.

When Jack was gone T’kil sighed.

“I pray he stays the course,” said the shaman absently. Maverick could see that T’kil did not completely trust their companion and that he was not entirely comfortable with the situation on this ship. He rubbed his eyes with one hand and then turned back toward the merchant before him.

“A sleeping draught?” he asked quietly. “No, but I am encouraged by your imagination. It would be a wise suggestion given the fickleness of our powers lately. My control over the magicks granted me by the spirits has weakened of late.” He smiled wanly.

“As has Amica’s,” he added. “I believe the spirits are angry that the Peshawgo, the Lost, is gone from his place. When we use the power,” he said motioning toward the spear, “it comes out stronger and more violent than we expect. It is as if it has grown stronger.”

He moved to sit on a nearby crate.

“I tell you this so you understand that I cannot just simply will this ship into my hands. Destroy it? Of course, in the breath of a cloud my magicks would tear this vessel from the sky. But what you say about this crew is true. We are learning more and more that this is no simple trading vessel bound for a rich port.”

He smiled again and Maverick sensed that something might not be altogether normal about the man he was dealing with.

“But the most dangerous predators in the desert are not the loud and angry ones, are they my friend? Your idea about kidnapping has merit. We do not seek bloodshed and this could be a means to our end. They only need take us close to our goal. The guarrdi would not need know or see our final destination. Have you learned anything about these soldiers? Whatever you say, these crew are not soldiers. I watched them before we left and have seen them since. They are typical of the sailors at the wharf, slightly more refined, but still . . .” He let the words hang for a burn, trying to form his idea into words.

“Would it be possible to turn the crew against the soldiers? Are they truly, two separate factions?”
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack felt his gut fill with a cool anger as Luis approached. He disliked this man, and he knew the longer he let it abide the inevitably more violent its birth would be. He choked it this time, letting the man walk past him as he stared woodenly at the wall. Suddenly a thought struck him, as far as he knew there was only the one hold back there; the one that contained T'kil.

There was no chance of him rushing down back past Luis, nor successfully removing him alone. Even if jack won a fight the crew would not likely side with the newcomer. Suddenly Jack felt a flash of inspiration and barked after him.

"Aye sir!" he hoped it was loud enough for Mav and T'kill to here, otherwise he felt that spear would have to glow again. He shook himself and made for the captains quarters.

Post by Guest »

Luis turned and shot the young sailor a look of serious contempt. Jack could tell he'd annoyed the older man and the look on his face made Jack feel like he never, ever, wanted to do it again.

"Don't get too smart, kid," warned Luis, stroking his moustache dangerously. Narrowing his eyes into a menacing stare, he turned and stomped away. Perhaps the short delay would be enough to give T'kil and Maverick the needed warning.

~

In the brief flash that Maverick hesitated to answer T'kil's question, both men heard the shout. It sounded vaguely like their companion Jack. Someone had acknowledged a command. The loud 'SIR!' was easily distinguishable.

T'kil looked at Maverick for a reaction and readied himself to jump and hide.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

ooc:i was waiting for mav, but he seems quiet
ic:

Jack shook his head. There was little more he could do for Maveric anc T'kill, he just hoped that they had heard his barked report. He sucked in a little fresh air and started up the gangway and headed for the captain's quarters.

He had not yet really seen the captain, being busy with tasks assigned to him by Rezon, the pilot. Jack supposed that an airship differed to a normal vessel - but in truth he did not know much about either, he was just stumbling his way through as best he could as it was.

He gave himself a quick brush down to rid him of some of the hay and smell of horse. Jack felt proud of his new job and wanted to keep it if at all possible.

Post by Guest »

Maverick was lost in thought and about to answer the shaman that he agreed with the assessement that the crew as seperate from the soldiers when a loud call could be heard upstairs. Maverick motioned to T'kil to go hide himself and quickly stood near the horse, tending to it like he should.

OOC: sorry for the short post. Been busy elsewhere on the site. Feel free to thwap me earlier in PM Jack if I forget to post ;)

Post by Guest »

OOC: Maverick - please continue here

IC: Jack could hear no sign of anything below that sounded like a scuffle. He could assume his warning served its primary purpose. Maverick and T'kil would know someone approached.

Upward, Jack traveled two levels to the main deck. The horse stall had been on the lowest level. Above that, he'd past an open door with several men lounging about. Some appeared to be sailors but most looked unfamiliar to him. They were most likely the soldiers Maverick had mentioned. The level above that was long and lined with doors. It was mostly quiet though Jack thought he could hear a few voices. His destination, though, was on the main deck, near the rear; Captain Rezon's quarters. Jack surfaced and walked the length of the ship toward the rear quarter deck where Rezon's quarters lie.

It was the first time he'd been on deck since the craft had launched and Jack was amazed at the view before him. They were high enough that little detail could be made out of the earth below him. The ship traveled above desert. That much was obvious. But, with the lack of clouds, the dunes seemed to stretch unbroken and unending in every direction like a faded dust cloud. Still, the view was breathtaking.

In a short time he navigated his way across the main deck, through rigging and sailors, few who even gave him a second look. The Captain's door stood before him, finely crafted with a small piece of stained glass in the shape of an eye where a peep hole might be. Two small windows flanked the door and through one Jack could see Rezon huddled over something with his back to the door. He was alone.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack took little time in rapping the door smartly. He did not wish to simply barge in and thought it best if he let the captain greet him at his leasure. Jack's mind was racing. There was so much going on, the adrenaline of being on a Flying Ship was amazing, like nothing he had felt since that exhilirating night he had fled the Caravans. This was an opportunity that he could scarely afford to turn down.

That would be the crunch. If Amica took control of the ship or coaxed it to the mountains - what would Jack do? Follow her and risk death and glory in the Dragon's caves or stay with the ship and make his living as a SkySailor and, perhaps, one day become a pilot himself of his own ship. Jack Shook his head - a big choice. Perhaps circumstances might change at a later date.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'm going to move you in the door to avoid a simple 'Jack opened the door and entered the room' post. If you planned on running should Rezon invite you in, let me know and I'll edit. ;)

IC: Rezon looked up at Jack's sharp knocking. Jack could see that Rezon had been focused and now looked annoyed at the interruption. However, when he spied Jack through the window, the pilot's face visibly brightened. He waved and beckoned the young man enter.

"Jack," Rezon said, smiling widely.

The men were in a room that appeared to be the Pilot's private planning room. Rezon leaned over a well polished but worn table with navigation equipment and maps, holding an empty pipe like a pointer. Two chairs rested near the window, providing a breathtaking view of the aft horizon.

"Good to see you, my boy. Did you get that pesky Marshall's horse taken care of? I swear the Condotierre couldn't wipe their own arses if they didn't have a full staff . . ." he paused and looked slightly chagrined. "I digress."

"So, what can I do for you? Looking for your next task as the cabin boy?" Rezon asked blushing. "My apologies leaving you with the horse. When she takes off," he mused, patting the wall affectionately, "I feel like I need to be focused solely on her. I hope the horse wasn't too much of a nag."
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

“The Horse was no trouble at all sir, grew up with them you might say. He aint’t fond of the tight hold and I doubt the launch did much for his nerves - an open field and a little free air and he will be fine.” Jack smiled. “So long as nothing shakes him on the voyage. Ill pop in on him regular like, ensure he is seen to proper.”

Jack caught himself in his rhetoric, he was overstepping his bounds when talking to a superior officer. He was still find his feet with the etiquette of command and he felt at ease with Rezon to a certain degree. Perhaps it was that the man was distracted - it was true, men could be strange in a myriad of ways.

“Luis said I was to report to you sir.” Jack stood, if not quite to attention, then certainly with a certain sense of form. “What do you need doing?”

Post by Guest »

Rezon smiled again. He was a confident man and his excitement for his life and his job was infectious. Those that saw him in his element would rarely walk away unenthused about the day ahead.

"Well, at the moment, I need very little. Perhaps a good tea, but I'll survive. That is, though, why I wanted to bring you here."

The pilot moved around the edge of the table and over to the chairs by the window. He motioned to Jack to follow. Sitting down, he produced a bottle that appeared to be brandy and began pouring into two pewter mugs.

"As our Cabin Boy, you're job here is to simply be here and help whenever one of the officers, but most specifically me, needs something done. This could be standard duties on the ship such as manning the rigging and tying ropes off but, more or less, you'll be responsible for special errands throughout the ship that require a little more 'head'," he pointed comically with one index finger toward his temple.

Then, the crafty pilot shot Jack a devious grin from below the rim of his cup. Jack had an eerie feeling he would not like what the Pilot was about to propose.

"So now I have one of these special errands for you." His grin dropped away.

"You see, this is a Mouth ship but it's also carrying troops of the Condotierre. While that's not unusual, it does present challenges. Normally, on the ground,air or in port, I'm in charge of the Scillus. She don't move without my saying when, how and how long.

"But with Condotierre aboard, I lose my ground and port authority to the Marshal. He is in charge of the troops and any mission we might have. What I'm afraid of is that the Marshal has something going on that I don't necessarily know about.

"I've heard some strange things over the past day, many of which involve the strange sleeping habits of Captain Liam, the Marshall's second in command. I fear there is something I need to know and am being deliberately cut out of the loop.

"In short, I need you to meet Liam and see if you can figure out if there's anything we as a ship's crew, may want to know? You up for that? It'll be a bit dangerous, you know. I'm not going to guarantee anything. What do you think?"
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack nodded, savouring the brandy in the glass. It was a fuller taste than the Dragon's tears that had nearly ruined him a few days ago - at least you knew you were drinking something potent here.

Jack listened intently to the Captain's words and his offer. It would mean he would have a little more freedom to search the ship and look for Amica, though he suspected he would not be able to let his more basic duties slide. The task Rezon set had its own allure too. If Jack could prove his worth here he might find his station on the ship somewhat improved. Jack liked the idea of that. Luis might find the new runt a little more of a challenge than he thought at first.

"An interesting thought." Jack swirled the brandy around in his glass and savoured another mouthful. "I could see what I can find, I dont doubt that I could engage the marshal - particularly if he is fond of his horse..." Jack smiled, a plan already forming in his mind.

"I will see what I can do." Jack smiled and finished his brandy. "Thank you sir."

He stood, waiting to be dismissed and then, nodding formally went into the corridor.

He mulled over the particulars of any plan before heading back to the hold with the horse in. He wanted to check on Maverick and T'kil as well as put the first part of his plan into motion.

Post by Guest »

"Just be careful," cautioned Rezon. "I don't want you risking your life finding out the Marshal brought along the Captain to do more than shine his boots, if you catch my meaning. I just want as many ears listening for me for as many mouths out there the Marshal has talking."

The pilot dismissed Jack with one final instruction.

"Come back for a meal around mid tradetide. I'll be dining with the rest of the officers and I'll want you here to help and, of course, listen."

~

Jack left and headed back onto the deck. Little had changed on the deck from the time he'd entered. The sailors, if that's what they should be called, were still busy about their duties. The ship simply plodded along, gently throbbing with the pulse of the propellers. He could not help but feel relaxed at how routine the whole upper deck felt, even though they thousands of paces in the sky, using some mystical power source to cut through the clouds.

He was about to enter the ramp downward when his thoughts were interrupted by a loud shout. It was not directed at him but a general yell of alarm. Instinctively, he knew it was not an emergency. The tone of the voice was wrong. The shout came a second time and this time he understood.

"Storm ho! Aft and starboard!" came a voice from high up in the rigging.

Jack could not help but look where the man indicated and indeed there appeared to be a storm approaching. It was a storm, though, unlike anything Jack had ever seen. Roll after roll of black and brown clouds gathered and fell in the distance like giant waves crashing in on each other. Above the twisting mass, more traditional storm clouds brewed with streaks of lightning zipping down and antagonizing the the tumult of sand below. It was still leagues off by Jack's reckoning, yet he knew to to feel fear when he thought of taking the ship into those clouds.

OOC: Jack you may continue back in the thread with Maverick here. This assumes you do return below decks. If you don't continue in the thread we're in.

Post by Guest »

Passing the many decks without as much as a word Maverick finally surfaced up in the fresh air, where a storm was about to hit them. His brown eyes searched the ship for the familiar form of the captain.

He didn't have a big plan. He just wanted to discuss some details with the captain, see what he could find, before sneaking away with the compass. Meeting the Sky Marshall, owner of the horse he had taken care of would be a bonus.. and then of couse there was Luis.

Giving a final nod to Jack Maverick made his way over deck in the direction of the wheel. No doubt the captain would show up there somewhere, and T'kil had indicated the compass might be there.

Post by Guest »

As Maverick reached the top deck, tendrils of wind whipped into him and instinctively felt the urge to grab for the gunwhale. The ship was still leagues away from the storm; he could see it like an expanding bruise on the horizon, but the strength of the wind reached far, stinging his exposed cheeks. Maverick could tell the storm headed their way would be devastating and so could the crew.

Maverick struggled mightily against the wind. His muscles just weren’t used to the strain and he struggled to catch his breath during the mightiest gusts. More than once, he had to turn his body just to keep moving forward.

Above the rushing wind, orders were shouted from the rigging and men rushed about in the controlled and organized rapidity. They were like a storm themselves, bounding about as they did. The crew was perhaps one of the most capable Maverick had come across. It made sense given their precarious position vaulting through the skies. In water, men thrown overboard could swim for a while and even in the event of a hull breech, a ship could still float. But here, with clouds as their only companions, it was exhilarating; one misstep would send a man to his doom. Maverick could sense both the excitement and fear among these sky sailors as they bounded across the deck. The commingled emotions filled him as well.

It was in the middle of this whirling storm of a crew that Maverick saw what could then only be its eye, Rezon. Up on the rear deck, red coat flapping vigorously in the wind stood the pilot peering through his spyglass into the oncoming storm. Anchored only by his stance, he looked like a man facing his mortal enemy. Of his other quarry, Luis, there was no immediate sign. That could mean he was somewhere hidden in the rigging, or, more than likely, had moved back below decks.

Maverick’s approach was noticed by chance as the Pilot turned briefly to issue an order to a rushing sailor.

“Maverick,” shouted Rezon with a grin as wide as his face. He was clearly enjoying the approaching challenge. “Don’t you have work to do?” Rezon asked teasingly. “Come here, I’d like to show you something.”
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack watched Maverick depart. A head strong man, Jack hoped he knew what he was doing.

Jack had his own mission - he had to find out what was troubling captain Liam and report back to Rezon. Jack grimmaced, this meant heading to the heart of the problem and involving the Condotierre. Jack hadn't really had much call to see them whilst grounded but now they were airborn there was no place to hide, and ships could get very crowded.

Jack had several things on his mind. Maverick was headed to Rezon to obtain the compass but there would likely be one on the ship's wheel also. Then there was the problem of Luis. Even if Mav got both compasses, this could all go horribly wrong if Rezon found out about Amica. Luis would have to go.

His grey eyes looked over the bough... Once the storm hits.

Jack turned and went below decks. It was time to meet the Condotierre.

Post by Guest »

Maverick grinned at Rezon as he approached "You almost look as if you are going to a party! That is some storm that is coming this way." Some dragon even, he thought, and the rush through his body of a mix of fear and almost happy anticipation for some action made him confident and eager. Now it will turn interesting.

His green eyes sought for the compass that he knew would be around here. "Say Rezon, who are the military men on this ship. Are those condotierre?" he asked casually. He glanced at where the men rested, trying to remember what he knew about the legions colors. It has to be them. Who else would man an airship? "That guy.. what is his name.. Luis? He gave us some serious heat downstairs. He didn't like us being in his hold, and knew nothing about what we were assigned to do. Not a real horse man, this Luis."

Return to “The Sands Archive”