Distractions, one two and three... [Sam 27, TT]

Moderator: Mods

Dionysii

Distractions, one two and three... [Sam 27, TT]

Post by Dionysii »

A raucous drinking song in drawling voices met Hollers ear as he approached, an ear that was being stubbornly claimed as home to a fly, it's sucker-like tongue feasting upon body oils.

It was an un-named tavern into which Holler entered, it's low doorway necessitating he bend to enter the dark establishment. Dark, very dark, his bulk obscuring the only natural light source to the long and narrow building wedged between a warehouse and fishing supplies shop.

"Oy, get out of the..." a cranky voice yelled out from the gloom, which Hollers eyes could gradually adjust to enough to see that a old man sat looking at a deck of burlesque cards, his free hand somewhere near his crotch. As Holler continued into the low class bar the old man returned to his occupation, a grim look of concentration upon his face.

Raucous noises, then a cheer, in the central floor an arm-wrestling match had gathered a half dozen spectators, money changing hands to and fro - the process quickening the closer one of the compeditants drew to loosing. "Show him what you’re made of Bubba!" a huge woman stood behind one of the men, massaging the shoulders of a similarly oversized male - he leered at his rival in a yellowed smile. "Yer mama's got a big mouth." his rival taunted, and was about to suggest what she could do with it when a sudden burst of energy from his rival had him grit his teeth in effort.

Where were the drunken choir? A doorway at the end of the room, only a door way, no door, though rusty hinges suggested there had once been one there. From the doorway issued laughter and song, flickering cande-light danced the occupants shadows on the wall within.

"What'll it be mate?" the bartend asked, looking up from wiping out a mug. The waitress, a weedy looking girl with long lank hair looked nervously towards the Orc and pushed past him, deciding that now was a good time to check the back room. She'd not seen a greenskin before, frankly he gave her the creeps, a dozen drunk sailors were more appealing.

Post by Guest »

An insistent and annoying buzz tortured Holler's ears. Yep, that'll be a pub fer ya! Grinning and salivating in anticipation, Holler settled himself into a higher gear. Only to brace and brake himself at the doorway to his chosen establishment. Crashing full speed into a small opening was something that had happened to him too often on his ship, so he sure wouldn't let it hit 'em in the head here on shore. Arching his head down he pushed through the cloud of stale ale, sweaty bodies and...something else.

Fully inside now, the massive Orc took a few tentative steps before he stopped. Eyes wide, nostrils flaring, he took in all that was the alehouse. Slowly a wide grin spread over his green face. I'm at the right place! Thus should a alehouse behave!

Standing there he felt torn; one part of him wanted to join the hubbub in the back room, the other all but dragged him to the counter. Giving in to the latter, he lumbered over to the bartender. Before he reached him, a bland female pushed past him. Annoyed to be hindered in this way, Holler Sleipnir bared his teeth and issued a low rumble. Leaving it at that he slapped his big, muddy hand on the counter-top and grumbled. "A large ale fer me!"
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

The girl gave a squeal of fright, and scurried away.

"Ahaha!" the barkeep laughed, "never seen her so quick about her work! One large ale it is!" and he set about pulling a handle for the Orc...

"New round here aren't you?" he talked as he worked

The din of the arm wrestling match rose a tempo as Bubba was caught off guard by an 'under the table kick'. "Cheat!" the huge woman yelled above it all, chairs tumblig to the floor helter skelter as she rushed around the table to swat Bubba's rival with a surprisingly dainty purse.

"Now don't be surprised, I'm no fortune teller, see, most of my patrons are locals... so if I see a new face, I know they just happed into the city, see, most of the new comers don't take to keen on my little slice of paradise." he pushed the mug of ale across the bar, then leaned out to yell past Holler, "Oyz! Give the man a break Maddy!"

There was a dull thud as Maddy's purse hit the rival on the head, a thud that spoke of something extremely heavy inside that deceptively dainty purse.

"Shuddup Denning!" Maddy yelled.

The Barkeep laughed, "What about you then, tell me this isn't a home away from home!"
Last edited by Dionysii on Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The satisfactory bolting of the young woman, conjured a small grin on Holler's face. Works every time... As the barman filled the jug, the Orc's nostrils flared in anticipation. The heavy aromas of barley and hops fueled an illogical impatience. It took the barkeep only a few flickers to redirect the flow of ale into the earthware. Still, it couldn't go fast enough to the former sailor's liking. Com'on, com'on!

As the man behind the bar started a - in Sleipnir's eyes never useful - conversation, a large, green hand could no longer resist the urge. It slowly rose and took on a posture that said: 'Gimme, gimme...'. apparently unnoticed by the barkeeper it hovered over the bar, itching to receive the sturdy handle of the filled jug.

With a sigh Holler realized that answering the man's queries might speed things up. Before he could answer the racket at the wrestling table rose to drown out any words he might have spoken. Turning his heavy skull to seek out the reason of the disturbance, he almost missed the next remark shot at him. "Yes, yes, new here. Arrived not mark ago." Once more taking in his surroundings, Holler added - with a rather atypical sense of irony: "Prradise indeed!"

During the wordplay of Maddy and Denning, the hovering hand snatched up the bucket of ale. With a huge gulp, the contents of it disappeared behind the row of sharp Orc-teeth. Delighted a blissful expression spread over the muddy green features, only to be shattered by an unexpected belch. Plonking the jug down on the bar, Holler realised that Denning's attention once more had returned to him.
"What about you then, tell me this isn't a home away from home!"

In a flash of intelligence, the tall Orc straightened, puffed up his chest and announced: "I'd be the Ambarrasdor of Orcs! Came to tell and show of Orc life." Holler Sleipnir took care to stress the capital A. His whole posture took a small dent as one hand slowly shoved the earthware jug over to the barkeep for a refill, during his delivery of the proclamation.
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

Behind the bar along the back wall a sheet of polished metal, grimy with tobacco smoke, reflected a distorted version of Holler's bliss...

"Pleased to meet you mister ambassador!" the barkeeper laughed - Orc's weren't known for theri sense of humor, Holler was a rare one, "And I'm Denning the crown prince of Ale houses!"

"Let's see the colour of your money," he added as Holler pushed fowards his mug."

With more time in the darkened tap room, further details became apparant. For one, slung across the ceiling of the room was a long piece of drift wood that looked at certain angles much like a sleeping dragon. And all around the room a small high shelf held collections of shells. Then there were further sheets of dirty polished metal serving as mirrors. Denning was not the sort to have decorated his bar - Holler might noticed the barkeeper's breath similarly reeked of alcohol.

“You fat trollop, why did you go and do that!” Bubba’s opponent protested in an angry shout, leaping up from his armwrestle to lunge at Maddy.

“I win by default!” Bubba leaned back in his chair crowing out in elation – seemingly not bothered to go help his mother out. “Gimmie my cut!” he demanded of the fellow holding all the money.

Post by Guest »

A bit fazed by the bartender's reaction, Holler took the only course left open to him. With a - in his mind regal - bow he retorted: "Ah, pleased to meet ya, sir Prince!" Hoping he would fit into the shoes of an Ambassador, he grinned. "A mighty fine estate it is you have!" A feeling of pride swelled up in the broad Orc's chest, as he dug up the difficult words and delivered them with confidence.

Too bad Sleipnir's next actions all but denied the possibility of him being of station. In a response to Denning's wish to see some cash, the muddy green Orc had to filch for his money pouch. As the only safe location for it was in his breeches, the search for it resembled him fondling his balls. After what - in the eyes of any concerned onlooker - might have seemed some ages, he finally located the jingling bag of coins. Pulling it out he unknotted the leather cord and opened the purse. He removed a lance from it and handed it to the bartender. "There ya go, Prince Denning. That should cover a few drinks."

After hiding his money once again in that smelly, humid place, Holler pointed at the empty tankard. "Fill'er up, dear sir. Fill'er up!" Once again his words were almost blotted out by the uproar caused by the arm wrestling match. A bit put off, the thirsty Orc turned his head to see what was happening. Not interested to take any part in the going-ons, he peered back at Denning's hands, willing them to do their job. Already the taste of the first pint was fleeting. Come on, give me some more!
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

The room darkened for a moment, as a new arrival blocked the sunlight flowing through the front door for a moment.

A curious eyebrow rose on Denning's face as Holler bowed. As far as bows went, it was the finest this Prince had ever been given, more specifically, his first, he found he rather liked it. "Glad you like it," his chest puffed up, compelled to brush the lunch crumbs of vest, "I like to think I've made it my own."

A girl shrieked, the noise coming from beyond the broken doorway, followed by raucous men's laughter.

He watched as Holler reached for his stash, then growing concerned as it appeared the orc had changed his mind about paying in favor of jerking off. Mixed relief as the dubiously scented coin bag was removed... "Ah, ah yes that ought to do the trick Ambassador." he begun pouring another pint.

"Now now, not so quick!" the bookie held his handful of coins high above his head, jumping on top of a chair to keep it out of Bubba's reach, "I has to do my equations now!"

Meanwhile, on the floor, the scuffle between Maddy and the opponent, it seemed the large woman was winning. "You bitch!" yelped the fellow pulling back from a bite, laying a slap across her face. "Go-on, you love it don't you!" Maddy gave a lewd laugh, hoisting herself up to straddle him. Attention diverted from the bookie with the money, the cluster of onlookers now forming a ring around Maddy, as it became apparent a show of another sort was about to start. Bubba however, doggedly harassed the bookie.

Denning pushed the drink across the bar towards Holler, and begun pouring the next. The new arrival brushed past Holler silently.

Post by Guest »

Glaring over to the ongoing scuffle on the floor, his annoyance grew. Holler preferred to gulp his ale in relative calm surroundings, but the yells and shrieks emitted by the entangled man and woman prevented that. The ring of onlooker slowly hiding the duo from his sight also muffled some of the sound erupting from it's centre.

With an annoyed growl - partly caused by the loud romping and partly by the ale sloshing about in an otherwise empty stomach - the brutish Orc turned his gaze on the newly arrived tankard. Gripping it firmly he was about to take a large swill when someone silently brushed past him. The silent part of the manoeuvre was to Holler's liking...the brushing however was not! Steadying his drink, his coal black eyes peered at the newcomer. With a fang baring sneer he sent a low snarl in after it. Let me be! His thoughts were mirrored by his eyes, which in addition promised violence and bloodshed.

Pointedly the tall, green Orc ignored the new arrival and focused on his ale. This bespoke of a very easy dismissal of the person, denying him/her any importance whatsoever. Well, in Holler's eyes anyway. In the Orc world where words are less important the weight of this attitude of disdain - yes even of offence - would be tenfold more.
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

[Sam 27, ET]

A lance went a long way...

Flickers merged into burns, burns became marks... the more notable measure of time was the ebb and flow of it's patrons. A social tableau that altered, though largely ignored, behind Holler as he continued to drink.

The light falling through the doorway ceased, the sun, like Maddy and Bubba, had left. A cool salty breeze wafted in through the door, though scant noise accompanied it. The wharfs across the road having largely closed up business for the day.

"If you want another, you'll have to pay more." Denning called from the other end of the bar to Holler, not certain if the Orc had noticed his mug was now empty. If Hollar happened to remember it, he might notice too the pocket he'd put the egg in was likewise.

Post by Guest »

Ignoring the menacing growls of his stomach, Holler continued to drown the grumbling beast in his belly. All the stout ale on a empty stomach couldn't be good. Even the hefty constitution of an Orc couldn't save the would-be ambassador of it's influence. Although he liked to drink himself silly in relative peace and quiet, the silence that started to rule the common room and the streets outside, started to nag at Holler as well. It almost felt as if the calm echoed back from the emptiness of his tankard.

Hearing Denning's words, two deep black eyes flicked over to the man. The speed of the movement, caused a burst of bile to shoot up his throat. Added to that, was a strange double vision blurring his sight. Swallowing and blinking Sleipnir tried to regain his composure. Groaning softly, he smacked with a face portraying the awful taste now reigning his mouth. Better find bed!

Any thoughts of the egg he'd owned so briefly had slipped his mind, as more physical matters took precedent. With a sour grin to the barkeep he said: "Me thinks there's enough ale inside. Do'ya know of a bed?" Solely the prospect of a place to sink down, sent a wobble down his muscular legs. Quickly Holler clamped down on the bar to keep his balance. Yeah, a bed would do fine.
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

Where the bars edge ought to have been - wasn't. Hollers inebriated misjudgment set him askew, his knee collecting impacting heavily with the sturdy wood of the bar.

Denning rose a brow, "You might want something close I'm thinking... just down the street there's a hostel, none to fancy but." The drift wood dragon flew around Hollers head.

Across the room, largely ignored, an inconspicuous fellow fondled the egg hidden within his pocket, turning it over and over. It hadn't been the best prize he'd pick pocketed, but then he'd come to take closer note of it's owner. The other two men at his table talked with burly bravado.

"Turn right, then take the first left, the place is called 'Raja's'," Denning offered helpfully as he poured another drink for someone further down the bar. Holler’s grimy reflection tettered.

Post by Guest »

As his large hand missed the bar Holler had no time to curse himself before his knee impacted with the wood below. Swearing and growling the tall orc absentmindedly swatted at the oversized fly buzzing around his head. "Close? Close is good!", he grunted when his attention returned to the barkeep. Not fancy is even better, swept through his flipflopping head. After all Sleipnir fully intended to hurl a couple of times during the night. The damage that would do might be less in a cheaper room.

Through an ale induced fog the orc's ear caught the directions tossed at him by Denning. "Right, than first left...Raja's?" murmuring the words in order not to forget them, he bent down to retrieve his leather satchel. As he slung it over his shoulder in a wild arc, stars rained down. Dark green lips formed a surprised O, as Holler admired the show. As the colorful display slowly faded, he smirked at the helpful man behind the counter. "Thanks, crown prince of ale houses. I enjoyed my stay here." A well intended bow followed, ending with the orc's heavy sack thudding onto the floor. Shrugging, Holler straightened up and started to waddle towards the exit, dragging the bag behind him - conveniently cleaning the floor.
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

The sounds of the bar faded as Holler rolled out of the tavern turning right into the street, following the vague directions the barkeep had given.

Lamp lights were few in this district, the docks being a favored haunt of those with shady motives, against the night the spluttering light bright and cheery. Hollers shadow shortened as he reached the first intersection posted with such a light hanging from a sturdy iron pole, a puddle of shadow at his feet.

Before him the street stretched onwards, some few of the buildings that lined it had lit windows open allowing the cool of the night to enter. Behind him there was a shuffling noise. "Love you long time sailor, one lance" a woman appeared from the shadows to his right. Dressed, though barely, in a shawl of red gauze, her eyes heavily lined with kohl widened as she realized his race. Only desperados would solicit an orc. Her lipstick smudged mouth twisted, then in broken human she continued, "Make that four." she pawed at his chest.

To his left a short unlit lane, more of a thoroughfare through to an adjacent road again posted with another lamp light

Post by Guest »

Licking his lips, Holler had to admit to that the sheer fabric didn't leave much to the imagination. Unerringly the orc recognized the best chops on the woman. From experience he knew what part would be the softest and which one more stringy. As the heavily garnished girl pawed at his chest, a large, ruddy hand had to take a firm hold on the lantern post for him to stay erect. . Swaying slightly, Holler Sleipnir sniffed to ascertain the freshness of his midnight snack.

Actually the thought of food, especially in the quantity offered here, made the inebriated, former sailor feel rather queasy. Perhaps bed better..., flashed through the muddy green skull. Unwilling to release the sturdy post for now, Holler glanced down at the hand on his chest. As images of it floating around in a hearty soup appeared before his mind's eye, he involuntarily started to gulp and hiccup. Bile accompanied it, bringing back the taste of the ale he had been gulping away all night. A large swallow, followed by a wet cough cleared his throat once more. Ya, bed, bed!

Releasing a rumbling growl from the innermost regions of his stomach, the single minded orc groaned: "No! No long time love. Holler must find bed!" Shoving the painted whore aside, he stumbled towards the next light. Raja, first left than right... Confused he swung his dark gaze around and grumbled at the girl: "You know Raja? You bring me, I give you lance anyways. 'Kay?"
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

Dark eyes narrowed as he confirmed the Orc’s drunken state was no act, his hand lovingly turning the egg within his pocket, "Get him boys..."

The shuffling noise behind Holler broke into a speedy tramping of twin sets of boots.

"Lance and no love?" the whore blinked with confusion, her eyes then widening as she saw two burly men lurched forwards to tackle Hollar from behind. A high pitched scream ringing out into the night.
Last edited by Dionysii on Fri May 19, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

As loud chaos erupted all around him. Holler swung his gaze, neatly followed by the rather heavy knapsack in his hand, too quickly around. As his eyes found their mark in the two burly men stampeding at him, his mouth opened into a confused O. The abrupt movement of his turn sent his visual field swinging past the duo, offering him a look at the inside of his eye sockets. As the black coals returned to their proper place, his eardrums got a thorough beating. A high pitched screech assaulted them. Confused, the intoxicated orc clamped his hands on his ears and spun around once more. Again the filled out, leather sack followed in an arc at chin height.

Whoa? The racket and mayhem around him sent Holler's mind into a tailspin. Annoyed by the renewed disturbance of his night, he let out a low, menacing growl. Razor sharp teeth showed, sadly pointing into the direction of the terror struck whore instead of the two men aiming at him.
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

As the inebriated orc swung round, his sack following passively in a arc, the first man dove under it to tackle Hollers feet while the second man hesitated for a moment seeing the grizzly sight of his face.

Yet he hesitated only a moment, then lunged.

As the sack swung a second time, his feet constrained, everyone was thrown off centre. The whore's screams amplified as Holler bared his teeth towards her, then toppled. She tried move away - but it was too late. With the second man's lunge Holler fell across her, that he landed with more of a thump. "He's killing me he's killing me!" the girls shrieked trying to wrestle herself free.

"Shuddup!" Growled the second man.

Thin cold steel pressed at Hollers throat, "Now do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?" a gravelly voice hissed into his ear.

Post by Guest »

Too drunk to look straight, let alone think straight, the thin strip of metal held to Holler's throat somehow seemed not very intimidating. Not used to the press and nearness of so many warm bodies, the fogged orc couldn't help but wriggle and squirm. Need get air! Out of here. Let me gooo... With a head as single minded as his, only one thought at a time - certainly in its' current intoxicated state - could take the front seat.

So, not fully aware of the vicious blade beneath his stubbly chin, Sleipnir uttered a low, rumbling roar. Fear, uncertainty and pointless anger all mixed together to form a terrifying howl, that bounced from the surrounding buildings. All these emotions rushed through his veins telling his muscles to move, to bulge, to act! Hampered by hazy walls of alcohol, it took the slacking bowstrings a few flickers to respond to the emotional impulses. Strangely enough the first muscles to obey were those in his legs. As relatively calm as the brawny form had been before, so violently kicked his legs out now.

Tiny shivers slowly making their way up the muddy green body forecasted the progress of the fierce tidal wave gripping Holler's whole physique. His heart thumped and bounced like the huge war drums common to his people. The heated blood was pumped with fierce gusts through his veins, through his parched brain. It felt like the tall orc's eardrums matched the furious thuds of his ticker, drowning out all sounds around him. Soon the seething red flood would reach Holler Sleipnir's arms. How the massive muscles there would react can only be guessed...and dreaded.

(OOC: Prrfff :twisted: )
Dionysii

Post by Dionysii »

The ruffian atop of Holler with the blade to the Orc's throat gave a guttural laugh at his howl, the metal bit into his skin with the struggle, a slick line of blood appeared shimmering in the lamplight.

"Your bloody idiot!" it was the third man's voice piercing through the noises of struggle, feminine screams and grunts of the men.

Hollers kicking broke a leg free from the lower brute's grasp, who quickly moved to try recapture it.

"Must I do everything myself, I told you not to damage him!" the third man's irritated tone, betrayed he ws the mastermind behind the mugging - he stepped forward from the shadows with a brick in one hand.

"My names Wallace Willowby," a sick smile broke his lips as he hefted the item, "Charmed to make your acquaintance." he brought the brick down with controlled force to the Orc's head.

Black.

OOC: Holler's adventure is continued here: http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=167634#167634
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”