Netherworld Nightmare

Moderator: Mods

Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The bovine daemon grunted, which could be interpreted as a negative answer. No surprise there. The bat squeaked and danced on the shoulder of his friend. "I've not read it," was all it cared to contribute.
Friends come and go but enemies multiply.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"Whispering the secrets most mortals hold isn't the same as knowing where a book might be found sir," she sneered slightly. "First, the daemon would have to actually know the location of the book. It isn't as if they know everything or can be everywhere. Next, they have to be in the mood to be helpful which often they aren't," she added flippantly, a truth she knew oh so well from experience.

"If you summon one strong enough to actually know anything, then you risk much and had best consider if what you seek to know is worth the price you most certainly will be asked to pay." Paying prices was another truth she'd come face to face with on more than one occasion.

"Why would you risk life and limb for some book that might drive you insane? Having a book is not the same as having the power to use the book," she offered, another truth she kept bumping into.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Yes, yes," he acknowledged, "there are risks. But the book is our best bet at the moment." It was then that he began to wonder whether the book might be housed in his father's library. It held an impressive collection, and perhaps it held the Liber. Andolin did not remember such a book being there, but perhaps Balik had hidden it. He made a mental note to return to the tower in the near future.

"It appears that I will need to keep searching," he admitted in a resigned tone, "unless you know where it is, or have a better book to recommend." He did not expect her to have anything to offer, so he was preparing to enter the rift and be back about his business.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"You claim to desire this book to return a demon to the Netherworld realms. However, the method of doing so varies from demon to demon as does the method of summoning. Someone in your location obviously had a book detailing the summoning, the same book would also explain how to control the beast and send it back. Of course, if it were set free from the one who summoned it, I wonder if it is possible to return it.." she wandered off, her thoughts a flurry of pondering her summoning of the demon she called up to talk to Rimeras.

"I would focus on finding the book that summoned the devil. There you will find the answers you are looking for," she offered flatly, a corner of her mind certain that his story was just that, a story, concocted as a way to ask questions about the liber in the hopes of finding it and possessing it. However, the book was hers! It had come to her, chosen her! She was not about to tell this upstart anything that might allow him to take it from her.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I have been taught only one way to summon daemons ... safely. It involves a circle of protection, blood and runes. It is the negotiating that is unique to each it seems," he uttered as if by rote. "The daemon lord is free and the book has not been located, though the summoner's body and abode were ransacked. No, the best scholars in the Citadel thought that the best hope of describing how to return a freed daemon lord to the netherworld lay within the pages of this Liber." He paused to watch her actions. It never hurt to see if she knew anything useful on the subject.

"I assume you have a Master who trains you in the dark lore," he stated, in the form of an assumption that was intended as a question.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"Many things lie within the pages of a book such as the Liber, but I fear you would not find what you look for and the handling of such a tomb could prove.. harmful to you," the sorceress asserted cautiously. It wouldn't do to have this one back in the other world still looking for the Liber. It was important to convince him that it was not the answer he and the others sought.

"But if you are so set on finding it, I've heard it said that it was last seen on Pan's Isle so it would seem logical that it might still reside there... somewhere. I would think the owner of such a book would guard it quite jealously," she shrugged and shook her head. His question about her master caught her a bit off guard and one brow arched upward sharply followed by a short pause.

"But of course," she replied slowly, not sure what to say about her "master" and not entirely sure Darius qualified as that. "One must have a master to teach proper handling of the various energies," she added nonchalantly.

"Why do you ask?"
Last edited by Ryalda on Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Curious. Ryalda had previously scoffed at the existence of the book. Now, she claimed to have heard that it was sighted on Pan's Isle. It was a mistake she had made. It meant that she likely knew something more than she was telling. Are you trying to dissemble my dear? he asked himself. But why?

"Pan's Isle?" he mused aloud. "Odd, what I had heard was that it lay closer to your own land," he bluffed. He had to be careful and watch her every facial expression to see if she was uncomfortable. The more defensive she would be, the more likely she knew something.

As for his reference to a master. He had wanted to know whether she was simply a self-taught dabbler, or whether she was under the protection of someone far more powerful and knowledgable. "I only asked because we are too young in our studies to do more than speculate. I was wondering whether your Master might have heard of the Liber, or have more insight into how to return a daemon lord." He let his comment hang, in hopes that it would draw forth a response that might better enable him to determine the power and motives of Ryalda.
Last edited by Andolin on Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

It was becoming quite clear that this one was not going to be put off by possibilities and rumors, making her wonder if he knew something. Why press a complete stranger about this one particular book? Why did he think she should know anything about it at all when it's existence was little known to begin with and could be anywhere in the world. Time to take another track, another diversion.

"As a matter of fact, my master," she barely kept herself from choking on the word master in reference to Darius, "does know about the book. However, its not like other books of magic but has a life of its own and chooses its... owner. Those who are not chosen go mad like the bookstore owner who took his own life even after the tome left his hands. It isn't a wise volume to go searching after. If the book wants you, it will find you," she assured him with a smile.

"As for how to deal with your demon lord, I doubt my master would know anymore than those masters you have dealt with. Each one has his own weaknesses and the book that was no doubt used to free this demon of yours would be where you would find those details."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"You speak as one who has the book in her possession," he mused aloud. She did seem to know much about it. Why else would he have found himself in this strange world, unless there was some greater power that wanted him to meet her? At least it made some sense. It also accounted for why the other persons of their original party had simply vanished. There was something familiar about that mousey redhead that had been so terrified. He forgot her name. Yet, she did not follow them, so her role must have been unimportant.

"If the book is as sentient as you suggest, why believe that it will not do the same to you?" He continued to suggest that she had it, for it made her more open about it, and free with facts.

In a whisper, he thought to entice her. "What does it say on the pages then? If it will not help me, then at least sate my curiosity."
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"Possession of the book?" she chuckled softly to hide her growing irritation with this man's questions and her own questions about why this should bother her so. This mage was halfway across the world from her so the chances of his showing up in World's Mouth were small and even if he should show up, the chances of finding Ryalda in that huge city were even smaller.

"Just because I know something of the book doesn't follow that I have it. You yourself have knowledge of it. However, even if I do have the book it would be because it chose me. The ones who lost their minds were not chosen which is why seeking out the book is dangerous. You would do better to let the book find you," she smiled politely.

"Citadel is a very long and arduous journey from World's Mouth, a city you no doubt would abhor for its filth and common industry. I wouldn't recommend the trip."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

The more she spoke, the more he became convinced she had it. But what could he do to feast his eyes upon the pages? He could threaten her with his fictitious family in World's Mouth. Or ...

He smiled at her suggestion. "Yes, perhaps I should wait until it finds me. But, how do you know it is not searching for me now? Why else would we both be here?" Let her think on that for a while.

"Now, all I want to know is a description of its contents. Perhaps it will not be helpful, but I must know what is in it. Fear not, it will not be I that comes looking for it." But others might. "Really, there is no need to be so protective. You'd want to know the same if I had the book. Shared knowledge is a good thing in these dark times. There is not need for rivalry here," he purred in a soft, hopefully reassuring tone.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"I haven't a clue why any of us are here but I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with the Liber Maleficarus. Had the book been looking for you, it would have found you, not I," she fired back at him. Feeling a bit spiteful by now, she grinned, an almost ferral expression that was devoid of any warmth.

"It came to me at the cost of a single banner," she boasted arching a brow triumphantly. "In fact, the bookstore owner wanted to make a present of it but I felt I owed him something. I had no idea what it was at the time, simply an odd book that seemed to... call to me. It was long after that I learned he had taken his life the same night."

"You would not be able to look at the book should you manage to find it. Only those who've passed the test can open the pages. There are still parts of the book that I can't see yet. They will come in time however," she put her hands on her hips as she watched Andolin, challenging him to dig any deeper.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"So you do have it!" he exclaimed. "And you think it is just a coincidence that I was looking for it and we met in the netherworld?" He returned her feral smile with one of his own.

Suddenly taking on a more respectful visage, he added, "Tell me, Ryalda, what knowledge lies in that book?" It was his hunger for information perhaps, but he was always fascinated with dark lore, let alone lore that originated from such a cursed book. His eyes virtually pleaded. He had to know.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"As I've already said, I haven't a clue why we are here but I am certain the book has nothing to do with it. After all, look at the idiots we left behind who will never leave this place. Are you suggesting the book brought them here as well? This is all more likely the result of another one of those freaky storms that seem to have run amok lately," she folded her arms across her chest as she scrutinized Andolin.

"As for the contents of the book, it is much like other books on the dark arts. It contains instructions and rituals for accomplishing things. Most of them are unspectacular and can be learned elsewhere such as the summoning of a sucubus or a nature oriented demon to work the garden," she shrugged. "It would hardly prudent or practical for me to try and tell you everything in the book."

"Besides, as I already mentioned, there is much the book hasn't allowed me to access yet."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Those odd storms," he started smugly, "are the creations of certain dark sorceresses that are widening the rift between the worlds so that they will have an easier time summoning major daemons from the netherworld." He had helped cause one in the Citadel and assumed that another had been created in World's Mouth.

He was disappointed in her explanation of the book, but, then again, she would have every incentive to downplay its significance. As he had no way to threaten her to get the book, he paused to think of some alternative.

"Does the book mention anything about using imps or the like to communicate with persons far away? I wonder whether you might be interested in .. comparing notes ... about developments in the Mouth and in the Citadel. We might be able to help one another after all." He thought about telling her the story that he was the long lost Azarin heir, and that she could use his mansion if she kept the place up. Of course, it might need more than a letter and the seal from his ring to accomplish, but Ryalda seemed to be resourceful. He decided to wait to see if she was amenable.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”