The Patrician Residence of the Master of Protocol

Moderator: Mods

Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Elevie listens to the Butterfly with a faint crease in her brow. Although the woman looks like no avatar or precognasticator Elevie has ever met or heard of, somehow her words have a similar ring of truth and the elf wonders again if the Butterfly is touched by one of the Gods.

"I do believe you."

Her voice is warm, and Elevie surprises herself by reaching out to take the woman's hand and give it a brief and reassuring squeeze.

"I have been wondering all night how it is that I came here, and not quite able to realize it, although all seemed to fall into place in a most ordinary way. I could not think where my entourage- my friends and guards- could be and how it was that I should be left to my own devices for so long."

Pausing, Elevie looks at the woman before her in the Butterfly's gay painted weeds and realizes how very young the face peering up at her is. The Princess' expression softens a moment and then she adds quietly,

"I am the Tarien Elevie and where ever we are, I am far from my home. But I think I hear the Western Kingdom in your voice, and I would know where it is that you reside? And-" she pauses and then smiles more fully than before, meeting the girl's eyes with her own blue ones,

"I wish that you would call me Elevie. It seems past foolishness to stand on ceremony if this is aught but a dream."

She glances up the steps and then across the dark sweep of the lawn, wondering if the Prince still stands above. Elevie bites her lip slightly and then catches herself in a small sigh and stands up straighter.

He seemed to be quite at ease left to his own devices,and Elevie wonders how Prince Balthasar manages that, and feels curiousity plucking at her once more. Had he known who she was all along? Or merely guessed? Recognized her torque and not mentioned it?

She leaves this line of thinking as the Butterfly tells her seriously that her portents of death not only come true in dreams, but have lasting reprocussions in the waking world as well.

Leaning down to resheath the narrow dagger on her thigh once more, Elevie takes the Butterfly's arm and starts to pull her back towards the Terrace.

"If the Prince is truly in danger as you say, then we ought not to leave him so unwarded. I have not liked the feel of this party from the beginning. I have not even the gift that you seem to, and yet there is a dread here- heightened tempers and mischance and a threat of things going ill."

Ill mischance indeed... and ill tongues and tempers as well! Still, if they all speak truth you have no one but yourself to blame for that little brangle on the terrace. But perhaps what is torn might be mended?

As she pulls the Butterfly back towards the flagstone steps, Elevie spies something glittering against the dark grass and she detours over to it.

It is the silver Heron's mask, the beak long and sharp. Elevie feels a sudden tingle down her spine and reaching down to the trailing ribbons, picks it up before moving back towards the terrace.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

No longer shielded by the elven princess, the healer felt the anger and perhaps frustration churning inside the young king but whether the anger was with himself or aimed at Elevie she couldn't even guess. Was this an alliance he looked forward to or one he dreaded, she wondered as she watched him staring down at the mask. His comment about finding him onerous brought a smile and a shake of her head.

"Oh no milord. I don't think I'd ever find you onerous. A bit stubborn at times perhaps but I suppose that comes with the role you must walk in," she chided him gently.

"As for the princess, she did seem a bit... unnerved as if she thought she might have said or done something amiss while thinking no one knew who she was. Elves seem to be so much more... regimented, so... proper. I suspect she's not had much to do with humans perhaps? She seemed almost.. ill at ease," the healer shook her head. Imersed in the woman's shield, the healer had been able to sense Elevie's emotions though the elfess seemed to hold them in tight control. While ill at ease wasn't quite what she sensed, Shae didn't know a better way to describe it.

"As for what if we had been so cruel as to do such a thing on purpose, I suppose she would be justified in her reaction. After all, thinking no one knew her, she had let her guard down not something royalty is allowed to do much," she shrugged slightly.

"Did you not enjoy being masked and unknown milord?" she queried still wondering about these two who seemed so different and yet were destined to be together.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Shae, would you call me Tal when no one else hears? Sir...ah...another once did this...when we trained. And as for the mask, no...I think perhaps I don't much enjoy wearing them. I've done so all my life. I'd like to be seen from now on. I've little to hide, and little reason to do so," he began, leaning upon the terrace overlooking the gardens. "Strength is needed in these times. I wish I had known this a week ago...or even a month ago, before any of our troubles even started. I wonder if this Crystal we seek is what might really heal our lands, or if the journey itself is meant to heal her ruler?"

Just then, Balthasar caught sight of the elven princess taking up his mask. Her grace and poise still impressed him along with the feminine shape of her body. "I think you're right about the princess," he said, his tone low and his eyes fixed on her form. "She probably thought she was under attack just now. She did well, considering. But I must accept that I will share the rest of my life with her. Will she always retreat from me like this? I must bring her to trust me, and this is no easy task when it comes to elves. After all, I might be her husband, but I'll be her king as well. She has much more at stake than I. I wonder if she finds obedience harder than acceptance?"

Will she be an ally, or another headache? he thought, watching the Tairen in the gardens below, almost hopeful that she might see his eyes upon her. She isn't as voluptuous as any human, is she? Beauty she has, but it's a refined beauty...like finely crafted crystal. And she has rejected me completely, has she? Well, she has also found something that belongs to me. Some ploys are worthwhile...and that mask might help undo what has been done.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Of course Tal," she replied, cheeks coloring slightly. Sensing his pensive questioning mood, Shae listened to the young ruler voice his concerns and wondered about his life so vastly different than hers. His world was a web of responsibilities to others that dictated he be wise and strong most of the time. Yet, like herself he had fears and doubts and concerns, parts of himself he dare not show the vast majority of the world for various reasons.

"Few things in life seem simple or one sided. Let us hope the crystal brings healing to the land. But if all it does is bring healing and strength to you mi.... Tal, then it is just as vital for you represent the health of the land, of the people. Both are noble ends," she replied as she followed his gaze to the elfess on the lawn.

"You say that as if it were a bad thing, that you will be her king. Certainly her life will change and perhaps more drastically than yours, as she will move from her land to ours, but I think she is stronger than to allow that to diminish her. And trust is something that grows with familiarity. Something foriegn and unknown is difficult to trust but as she grows to know you as we have, the trust will come for you truely are not onerous," she smiled resisting the urge to place a reassuring hand on his arm.

"As for obedience, I suspect that is something all of us struggle with at times, but like you she has been trained to this Tal. She is more than an elfess, more than a woman to be wife. She is a princess with all that involves. Besides," she watched the lady move away again.

"Would you not rather have a partner, a friend, a listening ear who will give you their thoughts honestly rather than simple obedience?"
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The princess’ reaction surprised the chaotic girl. She did not expect the kind squeeze in her hand and almost withdrew until she figured out what the woman meant and smiled. “Thanks. It’s nice to have someone not think me the fool, although I usually don’t mind too much. What’s your name mean? ‘Elevie’...it sounds very pretty. Then again you are very pretty so I don’t think the princely Heron has any reason to complain. Then again, people like complaining, people like being the victim instead of taking a little responsibility for their own behavior. Did you ever notice that? Really weird. Why would someone want to try to be miserable? Anyway, that’s not important I guess, but it might explain the weird stuffy feeling to this party. I think a lot of people are making too much of too little just to feel important, although there will undoubtedly be something to happen since this still is a dream. Right, time to stop talking.”

Immediately Syrawenn shut her mouth, putting up a bright smile at the trusting woman. She watched as Elevie picked up the mask from the ground and let herself be dragged along. Already the silence had lasted too long for her liking. “So, if we should not leave him unwarded...whatcha propose? Tackle anyone that comes near? How long you think before we get kicked in the butt by the princy person himself cause we’ll bore the guy to death!” She kicked away a little pebble.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Post by Guest »

Balthasar smiled down at the distant elfess. "Sure, Shae...but I don't have the choice. She must be subject to my rule, just as anyone who would live in the Kingdom would, regardless of how colorful it might be described. Do you not consider yourself subject to my rule as well? And yet I find you to be particularly contrary instead of obedient," he said with a grin. "But then, I think you have a choice. You could always leave. I don't think the princess feels she has this choice. Perhaps she feels trapped? I..."

Stopping all at once, the Prince stared down beyond the princess and further into the garden, his calmly pleasant expression fading to one of almost unhappy weariness. Here it is, he thought, the growing tide of darkness broaching his attentions in the gardens. I wondered when it would happen. Assassins or orcs, something had to come. I should be pleased I might dream of something altogether worse.

"Shae, perhaps I might ask you to go back to the party for a time? I must be away just now. I doubt I'll return in this dream, but I think we might see each other once again," he said, bowing quickly to her as he slid down the terrace. The elven princess would be just below, still inspecting his mask, but he did not have the time to speak with her just now. Certainly, his passing might offend her even more, but he could only hope she might understand him sometime in the future.

And how useful has that mask been tonight? Who would try such a thing as this if they knew of my presence? Perhaps there is a use for a mask after all. Or perhaps I've just been lucky once again... he thought, drawing the rapier that had only been a burden to him before, he found it's gleaming-white length buzzing and alive with power. Without any of the fear he had known so well before, Prince Balthasar, the chosen of Dominicus, moved forward to destroy whatever it was that brought evil into this world and, more importantly, into his presence.
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Elevie smiles and says

"One meaning is 'she who stands in the gap'. When I was born my aunt dreamed of two trees with a great swathe of clear sky between them that filled with darkness and then with moonlight. After the moon rose up, she saw me standing there as I am now. It is partly by this that my aunt chose me as heir."

She walks over to pick up the mask, still listening to the Butterfly and turns to look at the girl.

"You are good to say I am ..pretty" Elevie stumbles briefly over the word not much used by elves and then continues as she twirls the mask absently in her hands by its ribbons.

"You are pretty yourself and I find your exuberance... refreshing. It is good to hear someone speak their mind so freely. I would be glad to have such a one around me in the times to come...."

Not thinking, Elevie has spoken the last sentence aloud and then considers that it might be for a reason.

Indeed, perhaps nothing has happened without reason in this odd place. Perhaps-

But her reverie is broken abruptly off as she holds the mask by a feeling like a hot wind rushing over her. Elevie feels herself sway back as if physically pressured and then feels an overwhlming wave of emotions come over her from the direction of the garden; fear, lust triumph, desire,hunger- all of them unnnatural and strange, seeming to pull at her very skin with tiny claws, picking and plucking at her so she throws her shields up strongly around her and takes a step back to the Butterfly again.

As she does so, she sees Balthasar, sword drawn come down the terrace steps and stride purposefully towards the garden- and the source of the trouble. Elevie can feel a rightious purpose washing off of him and streaming behind him like a cloak, and feels the power of another god not her own, as well as a keen and dangerous resolve.

She takes the Butterfly's arm and says to her urgently,

"Go find the Lady Shaeliana and tell her to ward herself! Then get you both from here if you can. Something lies in the garden and it is like to flood the place if the Prince does not stop it. Get them all to leave, if you can!'

Elevie turns towards the grass and follows after Balthasar, but not so closely that he will see and stop her. She can feel the emotional morass swelling up before her, making her nearly ill as she holds her shields up and kirtles her skirt at her waist, leaving her stockinged legs free.
Last edited by Elevie on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Contrary milord?" she arched a brow, yet a small smile curled the corners of her mouth.

"Is it contrary then to express one's thoughts, concerns or opinions? Was there ever a time when I refused your wishes even if I questioned them? Or is it blind obedience you seek?" she asked lightly, listening intently to his reflections on the fact the princess didn't have the freedom to choose, also listening to the emotions that flowed from him. Now that she knew these were not her emotions, but that of someone else, she could see how this would be a very useful gift for a healer.

Suddenly awash with new feelings... tainted and dark, the healer hardly needed the sudden pause of the king to know something was amiss. The shift in Balthasar was strong and obvious to the healer. Worry, concern and questioning turned to a sort of righteous indignation that was clearly aimed at whatever was generating the new dark feelings.

Standing mute, struggling with the new flood of feelings, the healer watched as the young ruler moved away. He had asked her to go back inside, though she wasn't sure why inside would be more secure than out here. While she appreciated his concern for her safety, he didn't realize what going back inside meant to the empath who had not learned to control it yet.

He would frown on disobedience, but the healer could not face the barrage of emotions she would have inside and she had to admit to an intense curiosity as to what this was she felt seeing the king also felt it as well. Still, not wanting to confirm his pronouncement that she was contrary, she wanted a long few burns before she moved from the terrace to follow her liege. Spying the princess following as well, she moved faster to catch up with Elevie but was stopped in her tracks by a sudden onslaught of things dark and foul and was suddenly torn by the need to escape these new emotions and the need to know what was happening.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The now wingless butterfly came in, hurrying most un-ladylike. She looked around as if she was trying to find someone, shrugged and bluntly invaded the dancefloor to make her way to the musicians.

The girl was about to try and get them to stop the music when another thought hit her: if a panick rises, we're all dead meat. No good, no use. Gotta find people that know the dead persons...how...I think the dark guy was the owner of this all. That lady, no bloody idea! Bloody indeed...oh gee thanks for getting that idea back into my head!

Now who had the man talked to this evening? Most were outside already. I should have payed closer attention! Now think, who else was around him?

Oh, to the deepest pits of darkness with it all! Syrawenn took a deep breath and tried to get her voice heard: "Scuse me! Anyone here that knows the guy that hosts this party? No need for names, no worries, but eh...anyone? Anywhere? Somehow?"
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”