To Choose and Be Chosen - Delanedra (Sam 24, MT)

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

ooc Merry Christmas!
Your thread will be taken over by Dartimos soon! Thank you for playing so far and have a great time with the continuation of this story :)
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

OOC: 8) To quote Mr. Sullivan, And now, onnn with the shewwww

The tableu in front of her had not changed as her focus returned to the three people. No signs of pleasure, disappointment, nothing.

She looked tired and even drained, she took a few steps backwards wobbling a little bit. "How was that?" Delanedra asked softly.

"If you need to ask, then clearly it wasn't good enough." The woman spoke for the first time, her voice clear and carrying without effort. "When you perform the way you should, you know how well you did."

"Still, there is some potential there." The man moved forward in his seat elbows on his knees, his eyes unquestionably focused on her. "Something that might be developed if she is willing to work instead of play at it."
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra looked away. She cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, it's just that I've never had to perform for those who would determine if I'd get a job or not." she nervously twined her hair into a small braid then let the braid hand down and straightened up. "I'm sorry." she she looked through the skylight again this time as if waiting for sign.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The woman rose to her feet. It was a graceful, fluid move. Everything she did seemed to be effortless. The ease with which she stepped over the human male, and then down off the seat-rows, spoke of trained and toned muscle under that fine skin.

"Never apologize. Rule One. Never apologize." She now stood a step below the man who was still watching Delanedra with a palpable intensity, so that thier faces were at nearly the same height. She had turned and her eyes caught his gaze. Her arm came up behind him where he could not see grabbed his hair, pulling his head back. She covered his mouth in a kiss. Not a peck of friendship, or even the lazy tasting of lovers, but a hard kiss, a kiss of possession.

"As for you," she continued to him in that same calm emotionless voice, "keep your eyes in your head or I'll have them plucked out. You need your hands not your eyes, Arrond, remember that."

Turning again she walked over toward Delanedra. "So, lets have a look at you."

"Uncle" she called over her shoulder to the elder elf. "How about some scales so we can see what our new little songbird can do."

He pulled out a lute and ran a scale. "Ah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha" The woman, clearly a full Adhiel, now that she was closer, matched the notes exactly, pitch for pitch.

"Your turn" she said to Delanedra and the older Adhiel began again.
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Watching the Adhiel woman she nodded. She took her lute, but didn't play immediately. She ran through through a few scales, on her lute. "Why shouldn't I appoligise?" she asked softly before striking up her lute and begining a careful scale. "La... la la la la....la.. la..." she said slowly mentally playing something else in her head.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

*SMACK!!*

The hand came up and across, barely registering motion before the open palm crossed Delanedra`s face. The young achadhiel`s face stung. She could feel the imprint of each finger where it had bruised her skin. Skin she was sure was now reddening from the impact.

"You will NOT disrespect me! I am Kaleen Eithelorim. I have been filling halls since before you where whelped! When you sing for me, your mind will be on what you are singing!" Gone was the calm, confident, relaxed Adhiel maid. In the blink of an eye she had been replaced by a snarling, ravening beast.

Kaleen turned and took a step away, her shoulders lifting as she inhaled deeply and let out a long slow sigh.

Turning back around, the mask had been reset on her face. Again, calm, perfect posture, with her hands clasped lightly in front of her. "Uncle, if you would, please, lets try again."

At this the elder man started the scale again on his lute.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra's hand fingered the reddening area on her cheek. For a moment tears threatened in her green eyes. Both stunned and frightened at the sudden change in the woman, the half Adhiel woman looked as if she'd been smacked- which she had of course but for a few moment's she'd not looked it. She took a moment to compose herself, a long moment.

Kaleen... she imprinted the name to her memory, the name the face the attitude. She turned her hair in her fingers. This was supposed to be her audition for her job. Not some music lesson. Her green eyes flashed then settled, no reason getting upset.

She looked around for Maloth, but then deciced against going to him. I need to this myself. If I let myself be pushed around... I'll never prove myself... to .... she let her thoughts die inside her head. No point trying to fix that now. She only had to stand up for herself, make sure she wasn't passed over like she had been at home. She cleared thoat and waited for the music lesson with the older Adhiel to finish before getting up and making her stand.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Kaleen was smiling now. Almost like a child opening a present when the voice of `Uncle` broke her reverie. "Doubles now, dear." he said. His fingers flew and from the lute came clear tones that stopped short suddenly, replaced by a note either a third step up or down from the original note.

Each time Kaleen's voice rang out "Laaa-Haaa" matching the pitch and timing of the notes provided. Her voice to was clear, and precise sounding almost horn-like. Each time her voice became a little louder, like the charging horns of an approaching army.

After the fourth or fifth call, Kaleen turned to Delanedra. "So little songbird, are you ready to show me what you can really do, or do you just want to run back to your little thatched hut and have a good cry in the mud?"

Before Delanedra could even fram a reply, `Uncle` had played another couplet. Three pairs of eyes watched her intently, waitng, stalking, sniffing for blood.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Green eyes flashed. "I will not be leaving, Mistress Kaleen." Delanedra said slowly, attempting to keep anger out of her voice. She needed to be calm, she needs to show this Adhiel that she would not be toyed with. She began to play her lute, this time her mind fixed on both appeasing and out doing Mistress Kaleen's reprimand.

"Stars and moon, and sailing etheral lights...
Passing unseen above us, and all around...
Filling us with hidden wonder and awe...
Watching us as the world goes 'round and round...
Singing to our souls and hearts,
Our voices lift'ed in harmonious song...
Seeking only one voice... one song..."

She let the last few notes of her voice die away, looking at Kaleen waiting for judgement.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Well now," Kaleen was sounding pleased as Delanedra finished. "There is definitely a stone of some value under all that dirt and rock. We will have to see what we can do about polishing it."

A curtain seemed to fall over her eyes and again the Adhiel was all business. "The livery is out front. Uncle will take you back to the estate and arrange to have your clothes and other possessions moved there. We will decide which ones get burned later."

"Arrond, be a dear and find Maloth and let him know that I approve of his latest find." As she spoke she pulled a handful of coins, they looked like crowns, but Delanedra couldn't be sure at this distance, from a handbag and gave them to the human man. "Tell him this covers his fee, and give him my thanks."

Having packed up his lute and supplies the older Adhiel gestured for Delanedra to follow him.

-----------------
OOC: Two notes:
1) Very minor, but your description of Delanedra says she has two different colored eyes, but in your posts you consistently say her eyes are green.
2) I clearly know the kind of music Delanedra sings from the words, but not how she sings it. Is her playing unemotional, but straining for technical perfection? Does she push her anger into her playing so her fingers are sore from the strings of the lute? Don't just say what she is doing, tell me how she is doing it.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Her fingers gripped the lute tightly, nearly to the point of snapping strings. "Burned?" she said quietly, her voice was tight with fear, and bearly above a whisper. Her dicolored eyes fixed on the Adhiel woman, her possessions were not to be burned, especially not without her consent or at anyone else's whim. Delanedra bowed her head aquiescene though as the woman's praise -though it was more of an admonition- was spoken to her. "Yes, ma'am." she said keeping anger out of her voice once more.

She exhaled softly, Stay calm, this woman does not control me. I can't let get me upset. She's probably used this before, she's manipulating me, to give her exactly what she wants... her music her way. Well that's where Mistress Kaleen is wrong. I will not let her control me or my music! she thought angrily. Her different colored eyes focused on Kaleen again. She stared at the woman as if meerly starring at her would cause something to happen. All the while her hand gripped the lute tightly-clenching and unclenching the instrument in surges of anger.

As the older Adhiel motion to her though, she forgot about the anger, the hatred of the Adhiel woman for a few moment and picked up her lute and bag and followed the man. Attempting to be as calm and quiet as possible. "It is nice to meet you sir...." she said warmly. Though she did throw a glance back at Kaleen as she spoke to her Uncle.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Please, call me Miguel." The Older Adhiel gave her a warm smile as he led her down a long corridor filled with tapestries of plants and potted plants such that it was hard to tell where leaf ended and art began.

"Welcome to our little family, eh. Don't let Kaleen get to you, she treats everyon on Kislovan as her private playthings. So, how did Malolth talk you into this audition? I would have thought Kaleen's reputation would have scared away all but the most jaded or egocentric of seekers."

His eyes were kind as he said this, and there was no malice in his voice, either at her or Kaleen, Perhaps Delanedra did pick up a trace of sadness as he spoke.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

"Miguel,then." she said slowly. She kept her voice low as she followed the older Adhiel. She admired the paintings and the growing plants, marveling at the lavishness. Her eyes had been trained in the simplistic beauty of her mother's kitchen and her home, not this palace-like, and richly decorated house.

"Well... Maloth did not tell me of Lady Kaleen." she admits. She sighs. "He'd never told me about her. I had thought I'd be performing for people who would appreciate simplistic music, something I'm familar with. Not exactly what Lady Kaleen..." she stopped and groped for the words. "wants I suppose. I am also new to Kislovan,so I did not know of her."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Did not tell you....Well now, that explains a great deal." He continued to lead the adhiel down a flight of stairs and out to a courtyard with large ornate gates. As soon as the two of them reached the bottom step a young elf, almost still a boy, but smartly dressed in a uniform of deepest blue woven with gold was waiting for them.

"Milday Kaleen's wagon boy, and be quick about it." The smiling adhiel turned and sprinted towards the back of the courtyard where Delanedra could make out what looked like stables though a large pair of wooden doors.

"Perhaps some history is order. Kaleen Eithloriom has been performing since she was ten. She has performed before many of the Leaders of the Seven Isles, and her performance as the lead in the Opera "Darkened Souls" before the assembled royalty of Trothgaurd has been called one of the greatest performances of the decade. When she is not honing her own talent, she spends much time finding new talent and bringing it forth. The young human man you saw her with is just now beginning to be known as a drummer, and will be a star in his own right soon."

The four horse carriage pulled up. Crafted of fine woods artfully carved, and with silks and linens covering the inside, the driver pulled it to a stop and hopped down to open the door. After helping Delandera in, Miguel settled himself in, climbing the steps with some difficulty, but waving away the driver's offer of help.. Knocking on the paneled roof with his cane, he called out "Home please".

Turning back to his new charge he continued. "You should also know that Kaleen is a hard nosed, driven, egotistical bitch. Those are her words, not mine. If you stay with us, you will learn much more than simple music, but staying with us will not be easy."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

The young woman blinked. "She describes herself that way?" she sounds surprised, most people never described themselves in such a dark light. But then she thought about the woman's display. "I can see why she would term herself so. She is... very..." she leaned against the seat as the carriage rolled along thinking of the the proper word. "Very strong. I will have to learn from her."

She watched the scenery go by. "Mistress Kaleen has accomplished so much..." she remarks quietly. "Where is that we are headed?" she momentarily fingered her pack, which sat in her lap- fiddling with the straps which help it closed. She rand her hands over the worn cavnas, it was a pack she'd brought all the way from home and had repaired a few times, but for she realized that it was time for a new pack. This one had reached the end of it's life.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"We are headed back to the estate, Kaleen's family home. She lives there with her parents, and a sister, although she has a building of her own where we will be staying." With this older adhiel leaned back into his cushions, sighed deeply, and let his eyes drift closed to the swaying of the carriage.

The ride took nearly a mark of slow rocking while the horses plodded along comfortably. The journey could probably have been much quicker if she were in a hurry, but the warm air and pleasant smells made for a relaxing tour of this part of the island.

The colors were brilliant, both the flowers and native plants, as well as the occasional bird she saw wing past. Soon enough, the coach pulled up to a set of gates that were pulled open as they arrived. As Miguel shook himself awake, the coachman dropped down to set a stool, so that getting out of the carriage would be easier.

The courtyard itself was not large, but it was beautifully decorated. Statuary formed a circular drive with two exits. One lead out the gate they had just entered, while the other went straight back, under one of the three buildings that formed a square around this plaza.

------------------

OOC: We will finish this thread to get you settled but I will be PMing you tomorrow start you on a thread for the 26th so that you are up with the synch event.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Smiled as she heard the that they would be staying in a building that was Kaleen's own. She collected her things and looked about the estate, her eyes wandering to the buildings and trees. She turned back to the coach- the last refuge she had against the Lady Kaleen's grip. She took a few steps and then relaxed. She was far enough away to bolt for the coach now- no turning back. She smoothed her hair out and let her eyes take in the scenery.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Miguel led her up the path to one of the buildings. Inside it was light and airy, filled with plants. Above the main entrance rising three stories was an atruim with plants growing nearly the full height to the glass dome above.

"So what do you think?" he asked Delandera. Not waiting for an answer, he pointed up a flight of stairs with his cane before starting up them. "Beeee-kaaaa!" he called out in a musical tone. At his call a young human girl, perhaps just in her teens appeared at the top of the steps.

"We have a new guest Beeka, please show her to a room, and she what she needs. As for me, I'm for a hot poltice for my knee." As he finished climbing the rounded stairs, he turned and sketching the new student a half bow, headed down the hall.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Craning her head back to view the plants she smiled. "It's wonderful... like a dream or something." she said to Miguel quietly. "All my life I've lived in very simple surroundings, being a very simple person." she walked to wards the steps then realized the older man had reached the top. He's quite spry. she thought as she quickly bolted up the stairs after him. Upon hearing his request for a hot polutice she tried not to smile Well maybe not that spry. She smiles at the older man. "Are you alright?" she asks concernedly.[/b]
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"I tell people it is a injury from the great war against the darkness ten years ago," he said. Then after a slight pause and a chuckle, "What I don't usually say is that I got it when I was part of a mob fleeing the destruction of a building near the Citadel, when I tripped and most of the crowd ran over me. It will be fine with a hot poltice and a little rest."

He continued down the hall while Beeka led her to another wing. This was to be her bedroom she was informed as part of what seemed a never ending stream of chatter. "Just you wait here miss. I'll have your bath ready in just a flicker." The room with the bath was just through a door and Beeka kept talking the whole time. She seemed to be incabable or exhaling a breath without adding words to it. "It was nice to have a new person here, now doubt about it. There were never enough people staying at the house. Not that she minded the lower level of work, mind you, but the Mistress always seemed happier when there were people about." And so on the prattle continued until Beeka returned and rreached out to start undoing the buttons on Delandera's blouse.
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra took a deep breath as she listened to the woman speak as she was lead away. The girl's endless stream of chatter was worse that buzzing bug. "Um.... Beeka, was it?" she asks. "Lady Kaleen, likes it when people are living in her home?" she asks softly. She smiled, she'd never though Kaleen would be nice or kind even.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Beeka continued to chatter while she started unbuttoning Delandera's blouse.

"Oh, yes. She always likes it when she has people here, although it doesn't happen very often. Mostly it is students who want to study voice with her, but even that has been rare lately. Not suprising I say given Milady's stern ways, but she always says,
There is the right way and the easy way. I know what I want for myself, what do you want for yourself?

This was said in a clear and somewhat harsh voice, clearly an attempt to imitate Kaleen.

Beeka walked around behind Delandera, and lifting the blouse by the shoulders started to slide it off her arms.[/quote]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

From what little she knew of Kaleen, Delanedra was certain that, Kaleen indeed had said that. "Odd, I never though the lady Kaleen so, kind as to let someone study voice, by asking her." she said dryly. She smiled. "So how long have you been working here Beeka?" she asks as she unties her hair, from the braid and ribbon.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Here now, you let me do that ma'am." Beeka waited for Delandera to put her hands down so that she could slip off the blouse and then she got to work on the Adhiel's hair and braids.

"My family have been serving here for generations. I was one of Kaleen's playmates when we were children. Now I am one of the senior servants here in the household." The last was said with a bit of pride.

After Dleandera was undressed, Beeka gave her a robe and escorted her to the bath, two large circular pools, both perhaps 12 feet in diameter, one steaming gentlely.

"Why don't you just get in for now and have a soak. We can scrub out your hair in the morning before we put the braids back in."

Backing out, Beeka left the musician alone with her thoughts.

OOC: Unless you have something else you want to do here, you can write a final post and we can close this out.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Letting her hand drop to her sides after realizing that Beeka wasn't going to let her unbutton her own blouse, Delanedra aquienced. "You and Kaleen were playmates?" she sounded surprised, and as she stepped into the tub she smirked. "I didn't think Lady Kaleen would play with people,I just thought she gave orders, and put people down, but I guess I was wrong." She sank into the tub, grateful for the warm waters to clear to her head.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”