The Prodigal son

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Rilana merely chuckled softly at Loraith's words. With a wave of the hand she motioned to Alyn. "Make sure we are not disturbed." The boy merely nodded in silence and stood. Another nod was directed at his new master and then he was out. "Such impatience. It is somewhat comic, I must say. But, you are right. There is not much time to lose." She sipped her wine and leaned closer. "Now, I will emphasize this once more. I need absolute discretion in this matter. No one is to know what you are doing and for whom. No one. I will give you the means to succeed, but you must put some effort into it. And if you fail....." She paused for a flicker with strange fire in her eyes. "You are alone in that failure. Am I understood?"

She waited for his confirmation before proceeding. "Now, our family has suffered a few setbacks in the past. But, there is still hope. Only, for my plans to succeed, I need someone I can trust. Namely you." A smile graced her beautiful features. "One of chief exports of Kislovan is our famed wine. And, whomever holds that trade will make an enormous profit. Unfortunately, there is a certain document that ensures this trade is fair. It was made many years ago. Now, each document must be held in the Royal Archives to be valid. It applies to this one too."

She paused to let him draw a few conclusions of his own. "Now, once the document expires it is taken from the archives and destroyed, by the Chief Archivist. Now, imagine if this document were to vanish? And someone was to propose a new document that will ensure only one family had the right to sell famed Kislovani wine outside of Kislovan?" A wicked smile graced her lips as her eyes glinted. "Of course this must be done in absolute secrecy if the plan was to have any chance of success. The person who would procure said document and dispose of it would of course have to remain silent as the inquiries are made. And how better to ensure his or her cooperation than by a suitable reward? A reward that could be discussed later?" With a last questioning glance, Rilana sipped her wine once more, and leaned back into her chair.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]

Post by Guest »

"if I fail you will not see me again, of that I promise." He nodded solenmly, one failure was bad enough and he could use it to state how his resolve had grown. Two failures would be too much to every recover. He shuddered softly at the ramifications of that outcome. The plan Rilana explained was quite a good one, Loraith saw a few flaws in it namely that the key reason for the lack of the families prosperity was not the lack of items to trade but the pirate raide stopping the ships leaving. But she knew what she was talking about so he kept listening.

"I dont quite understand though cousin, I could take the paper from the archives, I hope I shall not have to use stealth but I am sure I can find a way inside through words, but when you proposed or if anyone proposed our family having utter control of this trade everyone would understand which family was behind it and would never allow it. Why to get this measure passed you would need royal consent." He smiled gently, "I do not wish to gain this document myself either, I have my lifetimes work of stealing things and so forth, there is much too much danger for me involved. I would propose you approach this from a diferent angle." He looked down then up again, "Use your authority to write a letter to the Queen asking her to set my challenges for Knighthood. Since I am a noble seeking to join the vaunted ranks and considering there are not many nobles of my age in Kislovan at the moment I think she would accept a puppet to send to do her errands for a time." He smiled, "I am sure I could have her confidence and sway the fortunes towards us, I would sooner have the Queen pass the new law than try to change it myself." He clasped his hands behind his back, "After all that would serve two purposes, it would make me a knight and essentially secure my own nobility and stop my reliance on you, plus if I am on good terms with the Queen it will reap a rich crop later." He put a hand through his hair and began tying it behind his head, "This is our best chance to have me meet the Queen, will she want to meet me later? I think now is the time to insert me into the bosom of Kislovan, and if I should fail and not get near the Queen we can revert to your plan anyway?" He bowed, "Of course you are my mistress and your word is final, but know that I shall not sneak into the royal archives, if you wish for me to do that then you may send me away now, I am no spy or sneak."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Her features tightened as he spoke. It was clear she was not pleased by his words, but she kept her feeling in check. She did allow him to finish and sat there for long flickers after he was done, slowly sipping her wine. "Hmmmmm, seems to me we have had a slight misunderstanding. I do not plan to pass the proposal. Our family will have nothing to do with it. We will profit immensely, but not directly. I am not a fool. Or do you think otherwise?" The voice she used was sweet. Almost too sweet.

"You still don't realize your own position. I tried to avoid this, but you keep asking for it. You are free only because I have uses for you. You are a wanted criminal. Or have you forgotten your little trouble, just before you left Kislovan. One word from me and the guards would be notified of your whereabouts." An evil smile flashed on her lips before she proceeded. "I can use my influence to postpone you arrest. But, to get you to the Queen to serve her personally?" And here she broke into laughter. And it was genuine although she managed to control herself after a few flickers.

A tear glinted in the corner of her eye as she tried to calm her breathing. "Dear, dear cousin. You ask if the Queen will want to meet you later? When you should be asking: What am I to do to avoid meeting the jailor soon? I can help you. And I will help you. But, I need a favor in return. I can not get you to meet the Queen. I can, however make your arrest unimportant for a while. And, if you prove your worth, I can make it disappear. But..... I need you to get me a piece of paper. I don't care how you get it. I don't even want to know what you do to get it. Steal it or buy it for all I care. GET IT. And make sure it stays missing. Leave the rest to me. And then we might see about your knighthood."

Post by Guest »

Loraith has been naive, a trait he was often accused of, perhaps he should win some sort of award for it. It amused him for a moment that foolish notion before he turned to the woman again, "I shall do your business for you, I shall keep the paper hidden and your plan shall go ahead." He decided it would be safer for him if he were a servant, "Consider me a servant my Lady, cousin is such a silly term with very little to reccomend it, servant and mistress shall suit us better dont you think."

He smiled, "May I take Alyn and go and try to retreive it now my Lady, I do so hate to keep you waiting." He hated her, for taking away his slightly naive dream of a famil again, he was alone and that would not change.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Rilana did not stop Loraith's bout of self pity. She let him finish and just sat there smiling. Flickers dragged on, until she finally shook her head. "My dear Loraith. Such impatience. Such impulsiveness. I think I know what brought you down and brought you here. Think for a while. Think about every decision you make. Think about everything you hear. Try to find some flaw. Even if it is your plan it may be wrong. Be humble sometimes. Admit you are not perfect." He paused and regarded him for a flicker. Even I am not perfect. How could you be perfect then, as tainted as you are? Not even a full blooded adhiel could be perfect. When she proceeded, the fire in her eyes was gone and her voice calm. "I could send you to the Court. And you could ask the Queen to sponsor you Knighthood. And that would accomplish what? My enemies would eat you alive. And what little influence I still have would have gone to waste. Now, I do not doubt you would have done your best, but it would not be enough. Thus.... my decision."

She poured herself another glass of wine and filled the second glass, pushing her towards her cousin. "Now, archives are unimportant. Not much goes on there. So, if I put my influence and try to find a position for you there, they will think it is my attempt to get you out of the way and put you somewhere where even you could not do much harm. Now, imagine how surprised they would be if they knew my plan." She paused and rubbed her forehead for a flicker grimace painted on her face. "Our family is not what it once used to be. I plan to remedy that. And you have a place in my plans. Consider this a test. If you prove your worth, maybe you won't be just a servant, but a cousin once more." Her voice dripped with irony as she pronounced the word servant. "Curb your pride a bit. Not, because you have to, but because it will serve your task better. Arrogance is not a positive trait. It drives people away. You are not, at this moment at least, in the position to be arrogant. Neither am I."

She placed her glass on the desk between them and leaned closer. "Do this for me, and your fortunes will improve. But, do it. Prove yourself. Don't expect your birth to this family to be enough for me to place my trust in you. That blind faith is what brought our family where it is now. I can't afford to misplace my trust. Earn your place in this world. Don't expect to get it for free." And then as if somehow she felt ashamed, she leaned back and sat for a flicker.

"Now, to start you on your task, I have sent some missives. That little incident that forced you to leave Kislovan is not an issue anymore. You are still not welcome in the Court, but that will change soon. Certain people are working on that. You will be notified of their progress soon enough. Maybe even today. In the meantime, I have been invited to a party of sorts. Lord Advocate has invited me to a picnic this evening, and since I will be, ah, unavailable, I shall send someone to represent our family there." She paused for a flicker to let the words sink it. "Any ideas whom I could send? Yes, you. Alyn already has your invitation. Now, I will say this one more time. Your task is important. And I will know how to show my gratitude" And then she rose and smiled. "Now, if you will excuse me cousin, I still have work to do. There is a long ride ahead of me and I would like to be at the estate before nightfall."

Post by Guest »

Loraith stood resolute as she spoke, she did speak sense but Loraith did decided to reply in sort. "I do not deny I am impatient my Lady, I do not deny I strive to get to the top faster than you might consider wise. You may live to see hundreds more summers my life shall be considerably shorter, while you see the seasons change I shall be back among the dirt from whence I came." He smiled, "I seek to reach the pinnacle of life before the sun sets on me, it will be hard for you to understand and while my Adhiel blood runs proudly through me the blood of the humans runs within me as well as changes my nature. For the worse that much is so, but we shall see if it comes to any use in time." He raised a finger to his lips and rubbed them gently as she went on. He stooped to accept the glass and let it stain his lips as he supped deeply upon it, the caress of its arcadian delight overcame him for a moment and he briefly forgot his woes.

Loraith grinned at her as she repeated her plan, "Like the dead tomes of the past I shall languish in the archives then until you perhaps have need to retreieve me for the present." An almost playful smile crossed his lips, he considered himself on a fine line of being important enough to chide her gently but not important enough to critisise her openly, so he walked that thin line of discontent.

"I shall go to your party, though how distasteful going to a party of nobles as a pesant is, fear not I shall quell my arrogance and stay out of the way of anyone important." He chuckled, "And you enjoy your stay in the country, I shall do my best to obtain that paper from the archives and stay anonymous at this party." He yawned gently, "I suppose if you are taking the carriage I shall need to give my legs a bit of work, unless you can spare a horse?" He put a hand to his chin, "and perhaps that sword, I would like one thing bearing the family crest to at least show I am slightly above the humans." He smiled, "I think I can command that little arrogance in my present state."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

She listened intently to Loraith's explanation of his own impatience. And had to admit it made sense. Yet, she did not pity him. There was a proper way to do things, and he was doing it wrong. No excuse was good enough if her plans got ruined. And she did laugh at his sarcasm and humor. "Now, now, cousin. No need for such a foul mood. This thing I ask of you is of great import to me. I needed you to realize that. And since you were not listening, I needed to make you listen. It worked. We have an understanding now."

She listened to his ideas about a carriage and sword and merely shook her head. "No carriage. There will be a few horses left at the stables. You are free to use them. You do know how to ride? As for the sword, I am not sure if we have any. At least something suitable for you. I suggest you send Alyn to buy you one. You have my permission to use a family sigil on hilt. Just don't flaunt it too much. We don't need tales of how we are 'oh, so proud' of our heritage. Even if we are. Now, excuse me. I have duties to attend to." And she strode out of the room with a casual nod. A few flickers later, Alyn entered and stood at the door expectantly.

Post by Guest »

Loraith nodded, as she left the room Loraith bowed again and called out after her, "Do not tarry long cousin, I fear my weak human heart will break without the delights of your company for too long." He turned and finished his wine setting the glass down on the table. He turned and spotted Alyn and motioned him forward, "Alyn go into the city and find the finest smith in the city, buy from him a longsword, his finest longsword and have him attach the family seal on the pommel and the engraved words "Billowing wave" up the blade, stress to him this is a noble comission for a higher up in society and as such much be a fine weapon." He smiled, "Tell him to deliver the blade when it is ready and I shall pay him, for the moment." He handed the boy a crown, "That should serve as comission. Then when you are back wake me and we shall go to this party."

With that Loraith returned to his room and rested until Alyn returned and they could venture to the picnic.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Thread skilled and locked. Look for a PM with your new skills.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]

Return to “Kislovan Archive”