At the Luau - Delenedra, Kaleen Conversation

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

"Don't let the fop rattle you," Kaleen told her newest student and she pointed to a seat next to her. "We'll make his ears fall off when the time is right. Do you know Faliu, Adhiu?" (Love and Faith)

The song she referred to was a simple country tune, often sung at weddings and festivals, as a with that the new couples love echo that of the Mother and the Father.

As Kaleen spoke the servants were busy bringing plates, actually serving on large open sea shells, a salad, dressed with a light fruity sauce. To one side the band was warming up.

The night was beginning to get dark so the humans brought out torches on long sticks to sit around the tables bringing light, but throwing jumping and flickering shadows all around the tables.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded. "I know it." she responded. Her voice had become more assured over the last few days under Kaleen's tutalage. She closed her eyes and lightly on the table played the cords inside her mind.

Her fingers danced lightly across the table, as if she was doing it to prove to her teacher that she did indeed know Faliu, Adhiu. A long moment passed in silence as inside her mind Delanedra let the commotion die away.

No longer was sitting at the table near herteacher she was at him listening to her mother singing the song, sining and telling her to remember it. she continued to let her mind wander further-for she had feeling she'd probably never see- or go home again. I need to hold on to these memories. They'll be the only ones I think I have of her. She leaned back in the chair, but the voices of the conversation around her brought her back. "Did you say something?" she asked Kaleen.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Nothing important." Kaleen's voice was softer than Delandera had ever heard it, her eyes focused on something that did not exist here in this time and place.

Again, the mercury slid in a new direction. Kaleen's face bacame hard. A porcilian mask, with fine cracks showing the stresses it had been through. Her hand shot out to grab Delandera's, wrapping around it and squeezing past the point of discomfort, past the point of pain. "Don't ever let anyone deny the value of your memories!" she whispered. "Sometimes they are all you have."

And then, before Delandera could react, the smile was back on Kaleen's face, as she raised her glass. "To life! Long, short, joyous, or sad. It is ours and we will treasure it."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Wincing slightly at the tightness of Kaleen's grip on her hand, though she didn't feel the pain it was a little suddenly and she was surprised. After a few moments, the only thing Delanedra could muster was a smile. Raising her own glass. "To life." she mimiced, half-heartedly. Her mind was momentarily distracted by the thoughts of her home. She smiled. How did she know? Delanedra mentally shurgged. Kaleen was Kaleen, and far wiser than she in the ways of the world.

"Kaleen, why did you ask if I knew that song?" she asks trying to keep any emotion out of her voice, but it wasn't working. Delanedra's normally calm voice wavered a bit. "Out of curiousity." she added almost as an after thought.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"It seemed a good choice for this evening, and given where you have said you come from, I expected you had at least heard it, and might well have learned it." Kaleen's voice was back to her light cheerful self and her face showed none of the previous stress. She released Delandera's hand quickly, and moved it to pick up a piece of the roe and bacon.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded. "Oh," she said warmly. She pondered the various foods, most were not unfamilar to her-but they were something she'd never tried. She tenetatively picked up some roe and bacon herself. She starred at it a moment. "Kaleen,what's it like... being ummm..." she struggled a long moment, trying to make sure she wasn't being rude. "wealthy?"
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Kaleen's laugh this time was clearly genuine. "Just wait, little songbird, just wait. You will have a chance to decide that for yourself. Personally, I have found those that consider money an evil are those without any. Money may not buy happiness, but it always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

This elicited a round of laughter from around the table.

"But, why are you asking? I didn't take you for one who is studing the arts to become rich. Although, your reason doesn't matter to me."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra smiled. "Because I grew up, without it... well not without it... but with very little of it. I grew up in a small villiage,not that I didn't love it, but sometimes not having money made things hard when my farther was out at sea." she closed her eyes. "I'd always wait for him, just hoping maybe I'd get something... didn't happen to often. Usually the money her earned went to food and things... rarely clothes. " She taps her finger on the table. "But what's it matter, I'm on my own." She sits back in the chair. "I'm sure you've never gone a day without something nice to wear or the plainest of foods on the table, Lady Kaleen."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"No, I dare say I haven't. And I certainly intend to keep it that way. Keep up with what I have to teach you Delanedra, and you will never have that worry again. But you are right, there are thing a person must have," with that Kaleen pointed to the plate of tuna steaks being brought by the servants, "things you should have", lifting her glass of wine, she again toasted the table, "and some things......" her eyes rolled up and down Arrond, "you just want. No matter how bad for you they may be."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Del nods. "I must agree with all that. Though sometimes getting the things you want is more difficult the getting the things you should have." she watches the Tuna steaks and when they came around to her she took a smaller one. She cut it into bite-sized peices. "Perhaps one day we should trade lifestyles-just to see how we'd do?" she suggests as she began eating a peice of tuna.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The handsome male adhiel next to Delandera sprayed her with liquor as he tried in vain to drink, breathe and laugh all at the same time.

"Oh my.", he apologized, waving at one of the servants for a towel.

Kaleen gave him a sharp look, but then relaxed and joined in the laughter. "Perhaps, but only when you are good enough to teach me to sing."

"Let me introduce Ellmar, a good friend, and one of the notable patrons of the arts here in Kislovan. His family have one of the greatest private sculpture collections on the island."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Covering her mouth, Delanedra smiled. "Opps." she say holding her hand out to attemptto block in the impromptu spray-it didn't work very well, leaving the young half-adhiel some what damp. She promptly laughed, it was just too funny. Reaching for the towel brought by the servant, she sighed. Oh well, it could have been worse. she thought to herself.

She looked the Adhiel, this time with a formal introduction from Kaleen she felt like she was allowed to speak. "Ellmar." she said still smiling, and trying to avoid a fit of giggles which had suddenly over taken her. "It's-" another half-hidden giggle. "It's nice to meet you."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Lord Argil had gotten up from the table next to them and come over to make sure everything was alright. Seeing that no harm was done, he took another towel from a servant and helped to dry Delanedra off. Then with a bow, he turned to go back to his table.

As Delanedra went to put the towel down, Ellmar took her hand and bowing over it, kissed the knuckle. "It is my pleasure to meet such an enchanting creature. Although, I would have preferred a more dignified introduction. So you are one of Kaleen's new finds, hmmmm? From what I have heard, we will have the pleasure of your enchanting us with a song tonight?"

"You can look," Kaleen responded, "but don't touch." She leaned in close to stage-whisper to the Achadiel loud enough for all to hear. "Watch out for that one. He is a leatch. Handsome, loveable, and fun to be with, but a leatch none the less."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra smiled. "Understood." she breathed, she gripped the towel, and carefully extricated her hand from Ellmar's. "It would have been nice to meet you under better circumstances." she agrees. She took a moment to glance at Kaleen then focused her attention on Ellmar. "I'm Kaleen's pupil." she corrects politely. "I may sing... if Kaleen says I'm up to the task."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Ellmar did his best to pout and look hurt at Kaleen's remark, but he just couldn't hold it. His smile broke through despite his best efforts. "I am not a letch." He responded still trying to sound insulted. "I am just a man who feels that joy and pleasure are worthwhile pastimes in and of themselves."

"Don't you worry your pretty little head about my songbird", Kaleen told him. "We will be performing tonight once everyone has finished eating. Argil told me that he already has the servants getting a bonfire ready on the beach, and we will all be going there for liquer and snaks after dinner. I expect we will perform then."

"That reminds me," Ellmar said, his face actually growing serious. "Have you heard the story about what happened the other day? Depending on who you listen to one of us either viciously attacked, or was viciously attacked, by a human female. The adhiel knew battlemagic, and the human female was nearly killed. I have to find out what he knows, and if he thinks security at the family shops should be upgraded."

Rising, he reached down to plant a kiss on Delanedra's cheek as he turned towards the other table.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra paused. "No I'd not heard that particular tale." she said quietly. Her face looked abit worried. "That some rather conflicting information Ellmar. Is any of it true? Were you both attacked or attacked someone?" She turned herself towards Kaleen, then She smiled at a private thought, I'll get to perform. Finally a chance to display all I have learned-though I've probably got much more to go. She mused.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"No, no," said Ellmar, clearly sensing her confusion. "By us I meant the Proper Citizens of Kislovan. The people here, for example. Don't worry about it. If Kaleen says you bleong with us, then that is good enough for me.

With that Ellmar put a soft, kiss on Delandera's cheek, and headed off to the next table.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra glared at the Adhiel. She doesn't wipe his kiss away immediately, she lets it linger and lets him get out of ear shot before leaning foreward and wispering to Kaleen. "I'm assuming he's always like that. And what did mean 'us the Proper Citizens of Kislovan' ? Does he mean to imply that there are others who are not citizens." she shifts her wait in the chair nervously.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Not that they aren't citizens", Kaleen responded. "But they aren't proper citizens. In Ellmars view, you can't be a proper citizen without be a rich, landholding adhiel. Of course he also considers it a pre-requisite that you be a complete snob, but keeps forgetting that his father was not much more than a common fisherman until decades of hard work let him buy the fleet that keeps his family in silks, statues, and attitude. If he didn't do so well at supporting the arts, he'd only have one good use, and any male past puberty can handle that."

The last sentance was said in a completely dead flat voice, clearly looking for a reaction.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra hid her laugh behind a hand. It took her a moment to straighten her face. "I must admit that's very true. Though I do find that it's very self-centered. To have only 'proper' citizens as the rich, landhold ahiel, it limits one's choice of friends." she taps her finger against the table. "Perhaps I should go make him, work for a day's wages, see how likes it?" she smirks. Not that I could get him to go... or could I? She smirked.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Though she clearly saw the humor in her young student's words, Kaleen's face grew sterner as she reminded Delandera to: "Be careful what you say and how it is said around Ellmar. It may be family money, but he controls a large chunck of it. Upset him enough and he will buy that little village you come from just for the pleaseure of throwing everyone to the streets."

On that note dinner became more silent as the guest digested Kaleen's words and the wonderful food infront of them. The tuna steak was wonderful, as were the grilled or steamed fruits and vegetables set in front of them.

A mark later, give or take, everyone was done and being herded down to the beach were the bonfire was lit and blankets prepared.

OOC:
Please return to the main Luau thread here.

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=25
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread archived without skilling due to character disappearance.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Kislovan Archive”