Managing the Menagerie- MT

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Managing the Menagerie- MT

Post by Guest »

(Late MT 27th Samheen)

Loraith stood by the stables, it had been a good day thusfar. Dressed in a fine Dhotee he had sent Alyn off to find a well repected Animal trainer so he might discuss obtaining some pets for companionship...and perhaps protection. His fine ebony charger he had named Iovar had born him about the grounds and he felt a sense of majestic pride as he mopved about the family grounds. This was nothing compared to the rural estate and the thought of riding about that made him almost salivate. Still hunting would amuse him while he was doing nothing else.

But after rubbing down Iovar's coat with oil to keep it in top condition he allowed a servant to take it back to the stables. Moving round to the shaded dining area overlooking the sea he sat down and awaited this trainer and Alyn to arrive. He knew he could use some family funding but he would have to consider moderation, his cousin would question his purchaces and surely he could get away with a few little luxuries?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

The ride had presented Loraith with a chance to scout out his cousin's city estate in relative solitude, giving the achadhiel and his new charger a chance to get better acquainted with one another. After leaving behind the young lad who now served as page and stable hand in the skeleton staff left to him, a neatly raked gravel path had led Loraith past the rear veranda and extended terrace and then followed along the hedged border of the broad swath of open lawn behind the manor house. A handful of manicured flower beds, accessed by small cobbled footpaths and complimented by strategically placed statuary and carved stone benches, added some sense of privacy in the corners of the otherwise open, rectangular space. At the rear of the lawn, where the footpaths exited to join the larger riding path, a short wooden bridge crossed over a small stream that carved its way toward the sea. That was the border between cultivated estate and natural acreage, and on the far bank tall trees draped in dense green acted as sentinels at the gate.

The path carried on though, changing over to hard-packed dirt once Loraith and Iovar left behind the bridge and entered the trees. Within flickers the manor house was lost behind a veil of lush jungle foliage and the pair was effectively lost to the city. Around them a natural silence fell, interspersed only with the regular clop of Iovar’s gait and the occasional call from one of the brightly coloured birds of paradise that flitted from one tall bough to another. Colour also slashed through the vibrant green surroundings in the form of trailing lianas in bold reds and oranges, and smaller underbrush with delicate flowers of white and violet. Quiet and relaxing, the surroundings were nevertheless far from dull.

As he rode along Loraith had come across reminders that he was indeed still on the Cullàmh compound – a small pond had been augmented with a teak gazebo, clearly intended as an idyllic retreat from the hustle and bustle of civilization; a particularly dense cluster of flowering vines and underbrush to the left of the path was fronted with wooden benches and a weather-stained bronze sundial on a stone pedestal; and at the farthest point from the manor house a small rain shelter stood, provisioned with a large overhanging roof to protect any horses and comfortable wicker chairs for six. Otherwise the trail simply allowed any visitor to reacquaint themselves with the wilderness that still waited patiently beyond the city’s borders. The entire ride had taken roughly two marks, considering Loraith’s casual pace atop Iovar. The trail had wound back around to the small bridge over the stream, and there the achadhiel had rediscovered the house and its manicured grounds.

Some time after Loraith had settled to relax on the veranda, enjoying the ocean breeze wafting up from the shore, the sounds of visitors coming around the house reached his ears. Within a burn Alyn appeared, leading an older male adhiel toward the veranda. The young lad offered his master the slightest nod of his blond head to indicate a favourable response so far, and then guided the adhiel in front of Loraith.

“Lord Kasvenir of House Cullàmh, may I present to you Master Cellyn Terynel. Master Terynel is an acknowledged expert in the field of animal mastery.”

The adhiel bowed his head slightly, but his light grey eyes never left Loraith’s face. His own appearance was best described as grizzled, with steely grey woven through his dirty golden locks and a face worn with harsh lines. A variety of pale scars criss-crossed his forearms and his left hand was short a finger and bore the pock marks of a terrible bite. He was dressed in a modest tan dhoti, clean and serviceable but otherwise unremarkable.

“A pleasure to meet you, Lord Kasvenir,” he greeted Loraith in a gravely voice, strangely soft for all his hard appearance. “Your servant tells me you have an interest in my services?”
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]

Post by Guest »

Loraith stood and offered a curt nod of the head to the animal trainer, "Well met Master Terynel." He said clearly before waving to a seat to offer it. "House Cullàmh thanks you for coming to its estate, I did not feel obliged to shop with those below me." Kislovan Loraith had learned rather quickly was a strange society. He had to be subserviet to those above him and show arrogance towards those below him so he did his best to do that now. "I wish for a few little pets, but am quite unable to catch and train them myself. So I seek someone to deliver to me trained animals that will view me as master, and of course I am quite happy to pay for it." He nodded to himself and turned to Alyn, "Alyn kindly fetch our guest some wine and cheese, I shall partake of a little wine as well if you please." He turned back to the man and smiled softly again, "I am recently arrived back in Kislovan and am not sure of the animals that take well to training."

He leaned back gently and folded his hands in his lap, "But I need animals for a few reasons, I often find it nice to have companions so I should like and animal that responds well to a master's attention and is not going to attack houseguests unless it is on command, but at the same time I should like them to protect me. Guards are all well and good but I prefer more unusual protection, but on the basis of my demands I was thinking some sort of large cat would fit the need? They tend to be affectionate and yet dangerous, but of course I know little of Kislovani wildlife, and I should like my animals within a day or so, so it depends what you have ready trained? Oh and if you would mention cost, we shall have to decide if I am to use my own wealth or my family money." He smiled and waited for the man to enlighten him on the subject of Kislovani wildlife.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The adhiel trainer took the wicker chair Loraith indicated, sliding into it with an animal grace befitting his occupation. He then listened carefully to his host as the achadhiel outlined his wants and needs. The mention of a large cat was the only thing that drew any reaction to Terynel's otherwise stoic expression, and even that was simply a widening of the eyes for a flicker. Either the trainer had outstanding control over his features, or he was used to unusual and demanding requests from potential patrons.

"Very well, m'lord, let me explain to you the typical animals that I might be able to offer you," replied Terynel once Loraith had finished speaking. "I don't know that any will meet all of your hopes, but let us see, shall we?"

"The animal most ready for your service would be one of the foxtails. They are dogs I've bred from the wild jungle dogs of Kislovan, crossed with a breed of snowhounds from Trothgard. The results are quite pleasing, resulting in an intelligent and hardy breed." Terynel's gravelly voice contained no small amount of pride as he described the animals.

"I have three more or less ready for purchase that would suit your purposes as companions and guards. We could arrange for a visit to the compound where they are housed and trained and check how they take to your lordship before deciding on which one you'd like."

The trainer paused then, steepling his fingers as his light grey eyes affixed Loraith with a considering gaze. "The option of a jungle cat is possible, but most certainly not in the time frame you request. I have trained some of the smaller cats before - some short-tailed ocelots and a few of the larger jaguars, semacams they are called here. But I have nothing that could be ready in a day." Terynel's expression was deadly serious. "They are far too fickle and dangerous to just hand over as trained adults in that fashion."

The adhiel left it at that as Alyn arrived with a small plate of white cheese, cubed and stacked in a basic but artful pattern. He set this between the two men and then placed a glass before each, while holding onto a glass decanter filled with a light amber wine. At Terynel's nod he filled the guest's glass and then did the same for Loraith, before retreating to a polite distance. The adhiel trainer tested the wine cautiously and apparently found it to his liking. He also tried a morsel of cheese, before responding to the last part of his host's concerns.

"Price is somewhat negotiable, and depends upon the exact animal you choose, but you can plan on spending in the neighbourhood of five crowns for one of the dogs, and upwards of 100 crowns for a jungle cat, perhaps more."

"But I shouldn't think mere money would be important to an individual of your stature, m'lord."
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]

Post by Guest »

Loraith listened politely, the words the man said partially pleased him but he had not expected the cats to be so dangerous or rare. But he nodded as the man finished and took a sip of his own wine. "Now what you say intrigues me, I feel I shall quite easily be able to hand you fifteen crowns from my family coffers for the Foxtails, I understand dogs in numbers tend to work together especially jungle dogs? Do these dogs keep this instinct? By buying three would I maximise their danger?" He stroked his chin gently as he thought.

"Now there are a few more options, dogs are all very well but large cats still interest me that is for sure. And I have always had a certain intrest in snakes. Now there appears to me a few problems with each. For one cats according to you contain a pricetag to make even me freeze for a moment. And from what I know of snakes they tend to be interesting pets but not large enough or indeed fast enough for protection." He smiled and popped a little cheese into his mouth.

Loraith smiled as though suddenly hit by a little idea, "I am a member of my great noble family it must be said, however I am a noble by blood not alas by worth. Now I have certain business to perform in the city but I wish to reaquaint myself with the island, and at the same time I seek, perhaps seek to prove myself to society. To do this I must acheive an act of worth, I must do something to prove my skill. Now I am suddenly hit by a little idea. I find the idea of the dogs all very well but I seek to prove myself in the hunt like my illustrious forefathers. So I wish for you to tell me this. What creatures cause fear amongst the hunters of this isle, does a dragon lurk among the crags of Kislovan, does a great and intelligent beast lurk through the clogged pines of Daini Saliubh. There must be mythic beasts of intelligence on this isle. I heard in my youth of creatures that could talk with Adhiel using otherwordly intelligence, I heard of beings so quiet that they could kill the greatest hunters without them knowing. Maybe it is youthful endevour but I must prove to society my manhood and do something out of the ordinary. Is there a beast I could hunt on Kislovan? A beast that is but of legends?" Loraith smiled, perhaps he was being mad. Perhaps there were no beasts but he had heard of dragons in Terra Incognita, great Hippogryphs in Trothgard. Perhaps Kislovan had a similar hunter amongst the ancient forests.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Yes, they can operate as a small pack," allowed Terynel of the foxtails, a slight crease forming as he lowered his arched brows. "And that would allow them to take down bigger prey. I'm not sure I would describe them as more dangerous, exactly."

The adhiel's mood grew even more cautious as Loraith spoke of even more exotic creatures that might be trained, particularly the snakes. "I would agree with your assessment of serpents, m'lord. They are hardly suitable for the type of duty you wish your companions to fulfill. While they can be exceedingly deadly, and lightning quick over short distances, they would never make a practical hunting animal, nor even proper protection for grounds such as these," explained Terynel, gesturing with his maimed hand to the expanse of lawn behind the veranda.

"A jungle cat is still a possibility, but you must give me the proper time to train one and then acclimatize it to your ownership. To do otherwise would be irresponsible, and quite possibly deadly. I cannot condone it, for any amount of money."

And when Loraith turned his fancy to fantastic creatures, hoping to achieve instant notoriety with some landmark slaying of a mythical beast, the adhiel trainer's expression closed down completely.

"M'lord, I have worked around wild animals most of my adult life," he explained in a somewhat clipped tone, placing his glass back upon the table and sitting very formally upright. "There are many dangerous beasts on the island, ranging from a spider as small as the fingernail on your little finger to the great condors of the mountains, and many in between. Any and all could end your life, if you were foolish enough to invade their domain as an antagonist. You would be wiser to leave such such hollow displays of mastery over the natural inhabitants of the island in favour of more meaningful accomplishments."

Post by Guest »

"One strives to tame nature I feel. We all seek to hunt those more dangerous than ourselves, it is in the soul of all beings to survive. And yet when the necessity of survival is taken away it is replaced by a burning desire to show our latent superiority. I myself have the desire to prove myself by capturing a beast of legend but admittedly they are rare and I imagine dangerous to catch." He smiled, "I shall...meditate on the matter and consult my Lord K'Tan then I shall see." Loraith leaned forward and refilled his glass and his guests before sipping the wine.

"Your hounds sound fine, I shall think on the matter and if I decide to but some I shall send Alyn here to meet you." Loraith smiled and popped another chunk of cheese into his mouth, "I shall need to prepare space for them after all and inform the staff." He smiled, "I shall also decide on number, but I shall let you know soon. I shall have to prepare rooms for them as well." He gave a curt nod of the head and smiled again, "Please do help yourself to any of the food here, I must go and perform some duties but is there anything else you need of me before I go?" Loraith intended to go and at last declare himself a man not inf ront of himself not even the Queen, but in front of his deity. He would seek guidance and hope for an answer he could fathom.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Terynel did a masterful job of hiding his dubious expression at Loraith's plan for grandeur, but the adhiel trainer's disagreement with his host's attitude toward the wildlife of Kislovan still seeped into the air between them. Brushing a stray lock of greying hair from his face with his scarred hand, he nevertheless remained strictly polite in his response.

"I am sure m'lord will receive the proper guidance from K'Tan," he agreed neutrally. "The dogs I will hold for a week, allowing for your consideration. Have your servant inform me or my assistant of your decision within that period, and we will finalize the deal."

"I will still require your presence there at some point," Terynel reminded Loraith, "just to ensure the dogs respond favourably to you. I am sure you agree it would not do to have personality conflicts with your pets."

The adhiel rose from his chair, sensing in Loraith's words that their meeting was ended. "Your lordship is overly kind. I have partaken of your courtesy more than enough already. Thank you once again for considering my services."

Terynel glanced over to Alyn, who still stood dutifully poised to attend their needs, and spared him any further duty. "I can see myself out, thank you," he said, a small smile creeping onto his stern face. With another short nod to Loraith the adhiel bade his farewell, and strode across the veranda to where the short flight of stairs led to a path leading back to the front gate.

Pausing on the top step, Terynel looked back to Loraith and offered one parting piece of advice. "Think twice about your venture into the wilds, m'lord. There are many things that are best left untouched by mortal hands." The adhiel raised a hand in parting, but whether he used his maimed hand intentionally or not would remain his secret.

Post by Guest »

It would be unfair to call Loraith a fool. He was not his new plan had quite gripped him due to its fufillment of multiple goals. And he was sure to get a knighthood for such an act. However it presented problems, he would need to leave the Urdil alone at the house, there was a great risk of death and he would be out of the city for at least a day. So it would take planning and godly approval before Loraith would consider his plan.

But Loraith taking a finak piece of cheese and draining his glass walked into the estate, he was heading towards the library, he knew most of the books with anything really useful would be at the main estate, but he was optimistic his cousin left some small tomes of use here. Primarily he would look for books that might contain legendary creatures of Kislovan. So books on the nature of the island, myths and legends of Kislovan or books relating to faerie lore. He secretly wondered if there were the little sprites on his land. Of course had retained the childhood impulse to talk to faeries and he saw no reason why he should deprive himself if the opportunity was there. So Loraith would be studious and flick through a nuimber of books looking for snippets of information. And for Ashtallions benefit he would keep an eye out for any books the magus may find useful.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Whether or not the bulk of the Cullàmh wealth in written volumes was stored at their country estate, there was no denying an impressive collection awaited Loraith as he pulled aside the sliding doors and entered the library. The room itself was typical of the sort, with a oaken roll-top writing desk and chair to one side and a large mahogany reference table empty save for a single hurricane lamp, set atop the muted deep reds and golds of the carpet covering the centre of the floor. A glass-covered case sat in a corner, containing a delicate hide map of Kislovan and its immediate neighbouring islets, and a small step ladder leaned against the wall in the other. On the far wall sat a small hearth, protection against the damp chill days that might threaten a room full of written material, flanked by two tall windows that flooded the room with natural reading light and offered a view out the side of the manor house. The long velvet curtains mimicked the colours of the carpet, but were neatly tied back to let in the midday light.

But most stirring were the shelves that lined the side walls and those on either side of the door. Although littered with curios and family knick-knacks, the majority of shelves were lined with books upon books, some thin, some thick, with gold lettering upon hide covers, or leather engraved bindings, or little more than glorified sheaves of parchment. But no matter the presentation, there was no lack of the written word in the room.

Unfortunately, a quick scan of the titles on the nearest spines meant nothing to Loraith. The scrawling strokes, whether in gold leaf, black ink or red dye all read the same - gibberish to his illiterate eyes.

Post by Guest »

"ALYN!"

Rang out Loraith's call, he was frustrated about his failure to support himself in the scholarly arts. He grumpily sat down and when Alyn appeared spoke to him not unkindly but somewhat irritated, "I cant do this so you shall have to collect information for me Alyn, I want you to read books on legends of Kislovan and things like that, I want you to look through these tomes for a few marks and find me information on fey of Kislovan, legendary beasts, relics of the island that could be obtained anything that could serve to interest me and prove my manhood." He smiled, "Feel free to get yourself some food and wine and report to me in a few marks if I dont find you first alright? Oh and books on magic for our magus guest." He stood and began to leave the room, "Oh one more thing, my cousin is a vain woman and I am sure there are books on our family in here, I wonder what family relics we have stored away I could persuade her to dust off? Find out if there are any will you? I should hold the weapons and wear the armour of my glorious forebears."

With a smile he left the library leaving Alyn with a lot of work admittedly, but he would give the boy plenty of time to do it. He knew what he wanted to do now, he located and entered the chapel and knelt in front of the small altar, after a few moments of quiet contemplation he closed his eyes and lowered his head. It was an important moment for Loraith, he had not spoken to K'Tan directly since his childhood when he was made to. He had always felt himself unworthy but no longer. Slowly he began in Elvish speaking to himself and of course K'Tan, "My Lady I apologise for my lack of words directed towards you. You gave my people life and I do not treat you as I should treat my creator, I have lived in shame. As scribe of my deeds you know I am like all an imperfect being, and while you love me as you love all your children I did not deem myself worthy of love. I at last view myself as a man, and yet society will impeed my progress. I do no ask my Lady to heap rewards upon me or give me lots of advice, I merely put myself at my Ladies disposal." He took a deep breath and resumed, "I wish to ask my Lady to accept me as a servant of her divine will, if she instructs me to perform her will I will do my best to perform it, my sword blade and my occasional quick wit shall seek to perfom your will. I desire to rise up the ranks of scoiety and I hope my Lady chooses to support me and allow me to serve her as I do so." he stopped and raised his eyes upwards wondering if a sign would manifest itself.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Perhaps half a burn passed before the sound of rapidly approaching footsteps reached Loraith's ears, heralding Alyn's arrival to his master's bellow. The young servant appeared in the open doorway to the library, his cheeks slightly flushed from the effort of responding, and bowed. "You called, m'lord?"

As Loraith explained Alyn's latest duty, marks of work slated beside a lamp perusing titles and entries in any number of volumes contained within the Cullàmh collection, only a twitch at the corner of his mouth and a slight tightening around the eyes hinted at Alyn's feelings on the daunting task. "As you wish, m'lord. I shall begin immediately and inform you when I have finished, if you have not already returned. Will you be visiting the Archives in the meantime, m'lord?" The lad entered the library and stood politely to the side of the door while waiting for Loraith to be about his lordly business, after which he moved to the nearest shelf of books and began scanning the titles for a likely starting point.

Loraith's search for the private Cullàmh chapel led him outside the house itself, to a secluded nook off the rear gardens. Worship of the Goddess was almost exclusively conducted outside, unless circumstances dictated otherwise, and so a natural setting was not an unusual location for such a chapel. The area was small, permitting perhaps ten individuals at a time if the need was great enough, but ideally suiting no more than a handful of supplicants. High hedges framed the holy ground, providing a backdrop for the young banyan tree that dominated the chapel. An intricately carved wooden altar sat beneath the protective spread of branches, featuring a small backing not more than a span high that depicted the three guises of K'Tan in relief upon its delicately grained surface. Upon the altar sat two separate offerings: a small grouping of fresh fruit and two fresh-cut lotus blossoms.

In this idyllic setting Loraith offered his prayer to K'Tan, but when the last of his syllabic adhiel words drifted away on the ocean breeze only the natural sounds of a living world filled the void. Overhead, where Loraith cast his gaze, there was only the gently swaying banyan branches. Until a polite cough sounds from behind him.

"Beggin' yer pardon, m'lord, and forgive the intrusion," said Devon, the old wispy-haired human caretaker who lovingly tended the grounds of the estate, and now did so without the assistance of two others who had left with Rilana. He stood there at the entrance to the chapel, callused hands wrapped around the shaft of a fan rake and dirty workclothes bearing testimony to the day's efforts, his blue eyes pleasantly crinkled at the corners. "But it seems ta me ya ain't gettin' tha answer ya wanted. My pappy always tol' me, She helps those what helps themselves. You want a good garden, Devon?" he echoed that long-ago advice, "Get down on yer hands an' knees and get yerself one. And She'll look after it with ya."

The old groundskeeper offered a gap-toothed smile, and then tugged his wispy forelock. "Can't say as it hasn't worked awfully well for me, these years, m'lord. I reckon it'll work fer ya as well." And then he shuffled away, to look after a little trimming of the hedges out front.

Post by Guest »

Loraith got to his feet and nodded smiling, "Perhaps K'Tan does help those who help themselves, although I find it rather a sad state of affairs, as far as I can reason the deities should judge individuals and be active in the world, I am not so keen on the silent cultivator template." He smiled and walked out of the chapel smiling to the gardner, "Wonderful work on the garden by the way, I think K'Tan does help you with this, divine." He patted the man on the shoulder as he passed, and stood outside looking about. He was somewhat dissapointed that K'Tan had not replied in the manner he expected. The excuxse offered by the gardener puzzled him as well. He had heard stories of gods appearing to their followers and giving them rewards and directions, still if she did not wish him then he would soldier on without her support.

Thus poor Loraith wandered a bit about the garden feeling like an invalid, it was all well and good relaxing in this wondrous setting. But he felt like little progress was being made. If he were Adhiel he had little doubt he would be knighted by now, it would have been so simple to get into everyones good books then. He was actually dreading meeting the Queen now if he ever managed it. He imagined her spitting in his face and calling him vermin, the thought produced one of those very long sighs that are meant to be heard by someone but never are. His life rather seemed to be a contented haze, he was very much languishing in the palm of others, he had to work for his cousin, he had to stay away from the Citadel. he could not get to court because of his race, what more was there to do and sit about and ponder how to get the document from the archives. it was beastly work he thought, sneaking about seemed to be what people expected of him. being a bastard, a sneaking scoundrel that had very little scruples.

Finally he decided that he should perhaps at the least pay a visit to the archives to view the lie of the land and so on. He decided to take the journey by foot and with a smile at the gardner moved to the front of the house, grabbing a handful of dates he began to walk up to the palace and hence the royal archives, as he walked he thoughtfully popped dates into his mouth and considered his position in the grand scheme of things. He was a little happier now, walking had this effect on him. One thing was clear however, he was not going to get any favours, he would need to do everything based on his own merit. Having seen the skills of Ashtallion the night before he decided his sword hand would likely be his great way to ascend. Champion and swordsman of Kislovan, his fame would spread he hoped. Still there were still necessities to come across first, he needed to make the aquaintance of the Queen after all. Why should the Urdils be given a meeting before him? After all he was a realative of the Queen, they shared the same blood of the first Adhiel of Kislovan, they were both the descendants of the same noble line. He decided to make inquires at the palace make a day of it up there. Then when he got back he could probe Alyn for information, he wanted to wear the armours and wield the weapons of his family. A smile crept to his lips, perhaps things would not be so bad being under the thumb of others after all.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Loraith, your story continues with a two-post opening in A Visit to the Archives

Return to “Kislovan Archive”