Dhurana at the Temple of K'tan, the Mother - Samheen 27 MT

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Dhurana Enarch

Dhurana at the Temple of K'tan, the Mother - Samheen 27 MT

Post by Dhurana Enarch »

The enclave of the Kislovan Adhiels’ beloved deity is surrounded by a tall, lush, dense hedge that serves as a living wall. An arch and double gate of wood seem to be growing right out of the trees that form the supports at either side. Only in times of trouble are these gates closed. At all other times, they are swung wide open to welcome all who seek the goddess and the wise council of her priests.

Within are three flourishing gardens, separated by shell-covered paths. The air here is fresh, with the soft fragrance of the abundant blooms and soothing with scent of herbs. The atmosphere is tranquil and contemplative, but welcoming. Bird song is the music here.

Each of the three garden features an altar, dedicated to an aspect of K’tan. To the east is the alter to the Maiden Warrior, an image of the armed and armoured goddess holding back the sea carved lovingly into the wooden pillar altar, formed from huge tree stump. To one side of this, in a little alcove created by bowing Yews, stands the shrine to Madeliefje, featuring a bronze scupture of the Bard, with Daisies and Forget-me-nots growing at her feet. Directly ahead is the altar to the Mother, a topiary trained into the shape of a woman tending the garden that grew around it, with a concave-surfaced offering stone at her feet. To the west is the altar of the Matron, with a large up-ended stone, its jagged top resembling the peaks of a mountain, and a small tree stump forming a low altar before it.

Either of the paths, beyond these three garden rooms, leads to the temple at the heart of the enclave. The open air temple is circular, approximately a dozen paces in diameter, with columns of plastered and painted brick supporting a domed roof. The columns are painted to appear as a continuation of the garden landscape, and the domed roof resembles a myriad of leaves.

The temple is flanked and backed by the living quarters, and meeting and study rooms of the priest of K’tan, in a u-shaped configuration. Although there is a small guest dormitory, only students and clerics have access to the meeting and study rooms, expect by permission. Only clerics have access to their living quarters. This u-shaped structure is of the usual brick construction, with a tiled roof, but vegetation provides its decoration, rather than plaster and paint.

Priests and Priestesses tend the gardens, meditate and pray throughout the day and night, and there is always someone available to greet visitors as they enter the gates and provide them aid.

~~~~~

“Seodhiu ta eabh inaidha,” an ageless Adhiel woman, dressed in a batik sari of greens and browns, with a beaded edge, stood up from her meditation and turned to offer her greeting in her native tongue. Although she had been facing the altar to the Mother, the Priestess seemed to know that someone approached. Her smile was welcoming as she enquired, “How may the servants of K’tan assist you?”

It didn't take Dhurana long to get to the Temple; the Guards' directions had been easy to follow, and soon enough she found herself standing just inside the Temple gates. She had been intending to seek out a cleric the moment she arrived, but all thought of this was wiped from her mind once confronted with the beauty of the gardens before her. If this is the path you have chosen for me, K'tan, it certainly is a beautiful one. She mused.

The breeze was softer in the enclave, and carried with it the scent of flowers and greenery, so different from the dust and horses of the North Gate. Dhurana felt a sense of peace wash over her as she watched the Priests and Priestesses tending the gardens. She took in the altars that seemed to grow out of the ground and wondered at the care the sculptors would have needed, to carve the intricate works.

A small bird took flight from a tree near the altar of Madeliefje, followed closely by another. Dhurana sheilded her dark brown eyes and watched the birds circle once around the alcove, then swoop back into the tree. She smiled at their game, taking a few steps forward, and it was then that the Priestess came to greet her.

"Eabh ta seodhiu inaidha," Dhurana curtsied, somewhat akwardly, and had the distinct impression that, once again, she should have taken more care when it came to thinking things through. "I wish to - well. You see.." This won't do! You forget yourself, Dhurana! She felt a slight panic take her over, but quickly and forcibly regained control. There's hardly anything respectful to be found in panic, she reminded herself. Yes, you should have thought this through, but it's too late now. You can't run all the way back to Paoganabh. You're here now, at the Temple, before a Priestess. Take the rest as it comes, and not a moment before.

Dhurana sighed wearily and raised her eyes once more to those of the Priestess'. "Forgive me, I've had a long journey. I wish to become a priestess. I had dreams as a child, and I believe they were sent to me by K'tan. I think that this is my calling."
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

The adhiel priestess continued to smile understandingly as Dhurana first stumbled, then regained control of her tongue. "It is nothing, my dear," she consoled the strawberry blonde achadhiel gently, with the friendly, welcoming tone of a mother. "That is the way of long journeys."

Her smile only widened when Dhurana announced she wished to become a priestess herself, growing to encompass even her clear green eyes. "That is most exciting news," she beamed at the new arrival. Extending an arm of greeting, she guided Dhurana to one side of the Mother's garden, where there was a clear patch of fresh green grass near the topiary.

"Come, let us sit for a time and talk more of your calling," she invited, gracefully folding herself down into a cross-legged position, hands folded in her lap. "You mentioned dreams as a child. What was their nature, that you feel the presence of K'Tan was behind them? And what leads you to pursue them now?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Dhurana Enarch

Post by Dhurana Enarch »

Any doubts Dhurana had regarding her own foolishness at this journey were instantly swept away when the priestess smiled. Dhurana returned the smile gratefully, feeling much more at ease. She went with the priestess to the small clearing, smoothing the wisps of loose hair out of her face with hands that shook only a little, willing the strands to stay there, but doubting that her hair would ever be that gracious.

She followed the priestess' lead and sat cross-legged on the cool grass, brushing dust off her knees. I must look terrible, she thought, glancing at the well-groomed priestess, but hastily pushed the thought out of her mind. You've gone about as far as you can go on panic and doubt alone. There can be no more "should have's". Dhurana shook her head and smiled at her own folly, then looked up at the holy woman sitting on the grass beside her.

"Well, truly, I do feel a little foolish now." she admitted. "But these dreams I had, they weren't the normal dreams of a child. They didn't fade with the dawn, they stayed fresh in my mind, and I remember them as well as I do any true memory." she paused, as if seeking the priestess' assurance. "They were.. frightening, but not in the same way as a nightmare is frightening. There were battles, and unrest, and the forests and gardens were burning, leaving no food. Everyone was starving and terrified for their lives." she swallowed hard, remembering.

"In dreams, normally, the dreamer plays a part. But in these dreams, there was no.. Well, I mean to say.. I wasn't really there. I had no thoughts of myself, of getting away from the danger. I was only a pair of eyes, watching everything like a moving tapestry, as if from above. At the end of each dream, just before I awoke, I heard a jumble of words that weren't truly words, just a mass of noise, and a feeling of.. Well, I'm not exactly sure. A feeling that told me I had to change it all somehow; that this was the course we would follow if something was not done to change it, and quickly. A feeling of urgency, I suppose." she mused, picking a fallen leaf off the grass and fiddling with it to distract her hands from their shaking. "I told my father, of course - he was adheil, and worshipped K'Tan. He took me to a friend of his, who was a religious scholar. I told the scholar of my dreams and he said they were sent by K'Tan. He taught me what little he knew about prayer and meditation, that I might be able to.. Not control the dreams, but that I might glean more information from them when they did come." Dhurana met the calm green eyes of the priestess and smiled, almost sorrowfully. "But they were just as vague as before. I suppose that is the way of dreams, though. I hardly expected a map or such like that." she laughed then, and the unease she had felt loosened its grip.

"The scholar couldn't instruct me much further after that, and we agreed that I would find better guidance in Cerleann, here at the Temple." she smoothed her hair again, out of habit more than need. "Am I just being foolish? I truly don't know. The dreams were so vivid and terrible, though, and I felt such urgency.." Dhurana looked down at her hands again, and resumed playing with the leaf. "They couldn't be just dreams, could they? They didn't feel like normal dreams. Could the scholar have been wrong?" she sighed then, and grasped tightly what little resolve she had left. "I hope not, honestly. I really do want to serve K'Tan."
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

The priestess listened to Dhurana's tale in silence, though at various times her facial expression hinted at the thoughts that flew behind her clear green eyes. Here the pursing of lips, perhaps a slight frown, then a small nod, or eyebrows raised in surprise or respect at a revelation. Otherwise the adhiel remained the picture of calm and serenity as she waited patiently for Dhurana to fully complete her story.

"That sounds like a onerous load to have carried since childhood," she said at last, with sympathy. "And momentous dreams indeed! They may well have the divine touch of K'Tan behind them." Considering, the adhiel priestess unclasped her hands and laid a slender finger upon her lips in thought.

"I do believe the Temple can help you, young one," she nodded with certainty, "but before we go see about that I would like to ask another question. You have come seeking help in interpreting your dreams, to seek guidance on their import. There are priestesses here who can aid you with that effort, perhaps even leading you to enlightenment. But that assistance does not require you to formally serve K'Tan."

"So tell me," the priestess smiled softly, not demanding but rather inquisitive with her voice, her head cocked ever so slightly to the side. "Why do you wish to become a priestess?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Dhurana Enarch

Post by Dhurana Enarch »

The question was a serious one, and deserved careful consideration. Dhurana sat in silence for a moment, weighing what little answer she had. "I know it sounds feeble," she said, quietly. "But I'm not sure how I can put it into words. I feel as if a string is wrapped around me, and it's pulling me here." she paused, wondering how best to continue. The leaf was little more than dust between her fingers now, and she wiped them clean on the fabric of her skirt.

"I don't feel as if I've been forced here - not at all - but I do feel as though I don't particularly have a choice in the matter. Every road will lead me back here. This is where I am, and while I may not stay here, every path I take will bring me back to where we sit." Dhurana looked up at the gardens surrounding them and smiled. "And when they do lead me back, I'll go willingly."

All at once she felt heavy, as if the weight of the words weren't fully realised until she spoke them. She sighed. When she spoke, her voice was burdened by sincerity. "I'm an achadhiel. There is unrest between the humans and adheil, and I feel caught. I cannot choose either side without being a traitor. But what scorn could I bring upon myself if I choose this path, the path of K'Tan? None, because everyone should respect a servant of the Mother. I would wield that respect carefully, and hope that I could do my small part to bring peace to Kislovan." A humble cause, truly, she thought, somewhat cynical. "What better way to aid my peoples than with the help of K'Tan?"
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The priestess smiled at Dhurana's explanation. "Then it is a true calling," she nodded. "It was much the same for me. I debated many other paths, but K'Tan continued to call to me until I entered the Temple, and since then, I've never had any doubts. I suspect it will be the same for you.

"However," the smile evaporated into a serious countanence. "You may find some of our brethern here... unenlightened... regarding those of your ancestry. Unfortunately, the Temple is not devoid of those who cannot fully open their minds. All we can do is continue to teach that K'Tan loves all, regardless of the loins they sprung forth from. These will be some of the trials you will need to face while learning to become a speaker for the Mother." The woman's eyes searched Dhurana's, looking for truth. "Will you be up for the task, difficulties and all?"
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Dhurana Enarch

Post by Dhurana Enarch »

Dhurana sighed with relief at the priestess' words, and wondered why she had been so distressed. Of course it is a true calling. she thought, and smiled inwardly. You do a disservice to yourself and to the Mother for ever doubting it. and while she knew it was true, the confirmation was a salve for her fears. She listened as the priestess continued and felt her heart sink, but only a little. She quickly gathered her resolve.

"If I was unable to stand against ridicule from the clergy, after all my life, what use would I be?" she smiled. "It's a sad thing, truly, but I will do what I can to change their minds. That's what I'm here for, after all. I imagine I'll be dealing with their like for many years to come, and if I crumbled now, and only because a few harsh words were thrown at me here... well, how would I ever be able to bring unity to my peoples? The Mother guided me here, and I doubt that She would set me a task that is impossible for me to accomplish. The others, with their wrong thinking and predjudice, can do what they like to me. I'll do all I can to set them right." she shrugged then, and glanced down at her road-worn skirt. "That's all I can do, and I'll try my hardest to succeed, no matter the cost to myself."
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

"The Mother never gives us more than we can handle," the Priestess agreed with a smile. "Though some have a more difficult time remembering that than others. I think you will do well here."

She rose gracefully from her place on the ground, offering a hand to the newest acolyte of the Mother. "Most of the acolytes choose a particular path to follow to spread K'Tan's works," she explained once Dhurana was once more on her feet. She began walking slowly toward a door that led deeper within the temple, stopping only if Dhurana did not follow.

"Some choose the path of healing. Some the path of a missonary. Still others choose to teach the knowledge they have gained to the young of the city, and still others choose to minister to the poor that Cerleann, unfortunately, has too many of. Those are the four paths most commonly chosen by those who are called, yet if another speaks more strongly to you, who are we to get in the way of how K'Tan best wishes to use you."

The strawberry blond adhiel smiled at a memory. "I chose to heal. I hadn't planned it, but when the Priestess who first greeted me when I came spoke, K'Tan whispered in my ear that it was the path she wished to set me upon. Though it's a difficult path sometimes, it's one I've never regretted."
Tickle-fight champion.
Dhurana Enarch

Post by Dhurana Enarch »

With a smile of thanks, Dhurana took the offered hand and got to her feet. She followed and listened as the priestess spoke, and smiled again as the adheil shared her story. "Healing," she mused. "If I've been called to bring unity to my peoples, then really, there would be no more fitting path than that. I have no doubt that I will see much conflict in the time ahead of me, and I want no part of the violence." she stopped just outside the door. She felt a pang of worry, that if she entered any further into the temple she would be irrevocably changed.

She thought of the dreams K'Tan had sent her, and wondered if that was really where she wanted to go. How could she step willingly into such a bleak future, one filled with so much hatred? Surely she would break at the first sight of conflict. The Mother never gives us more than we can handle. Dhurana shook her head and sighed. If you don't follow this path here and now, you'll only be brought back until you do. So follow it now, and worry about the other things when they come. Little steps. she smiled at that, and met the priestesses eyes once more.

"Healing, then." all at once, she grinned. "I shall follow in your footsteps."
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The priestess' lips curved into a soft smile of acceptance as she held a hand out to Dhurana, ready to help her over the threshhold into Temple life. "I may be biased, but I think you've chosen well. You'll serve K'Tan well as a healer, I believe. You already have the compassion for your fellow beings."

As she waited for Dhurana to take her hand and make her first step, her eyes rose to meet the younger achadhiel's. "My name is Karuna," she introduced herself, the smile reaching her eyes.
Tickle-fight champion.
Dhurana Enarch

Post by Dhurana Enarch »

Dhurana hesitated, but only for a moment. "I hope I can do K'Tan proud." she said, and smiled, taking the adheil's outstretched hand gratefully. It was a simple gesture, but she found in it a great deal of comfort. She steeled herself from squeezing too hard, took a deep breath, closed her eyes, then opened them again and let the breath out in a sigh. She met the priestesses eyes. "My name is Dhurana." she said, and smiled again, as she took her first step into the temple, ready to follow where Karuna led.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

And thus ends the beginnings of Dhurana's path. Your next steps can be found here.
Tickle-fight champion.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Thread skilled!
Tickle-fight champion.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”