Kis: The Studious Arcanist ~ Ashtallion, 27 Samheen, ET

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Kis: The Studious Arcanist ~ Ashtallion, 27 Samheen, ET

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

The Lord Advocate's carriage pulled away from the Cullàmh estate and turned north along the street that fronted most of the noble compounds of Cerleann. On Ashtallion's left the richer neighbourhoods of the city rested comfortably atop the same bluff that the palace graced, nestled within the shadows of the original city wall. The brick and stucco homes were tall and well-kept, overflowing with colourful gardens and brilliant green shrubbery that accented the bright blues, golds and reds of the buildings themselves. The sprawling size of the noble holdings could not be contained within the old defenses, and so they fringed the fortifications to the east where space was not at such a premium. As they travelled along Ashtallion could see fanciful gates and ivied walls pass by the through the carriage windows on his right.

The intervening space had been swallowed up by the expanding capital, and so despite the lack of a fortified wall the carriage ride was indistinguishable from a tour from the palace to the temple. All manner of businesses and handsome homes lined the street's left side, and traffic was still decent even at this mark. It was easy for the golden-haired sorcerer to take in all the sights and sounds given the carriage's fairly slow progress through the throngs.

Ashtallion heard another chorus of howls as they rolled northward, almost as though they were following him, and he could see the anxiety that came over those close to the carriage as they ominous calls floated past on the breeze. Almost immediately the carriage came to a stop, and the mage could hear the driver speaking to someone outside. Before he could even crane his neck out the window for a look, two adhiel soldiers dressed in olive green dhotis trimmed in gold appeared at the right hand side of the carriage, glaives clasped easily in one hand and swords hanging from their waists.

"This passenger is not the Lord Advocate," one called out, his head angled back to the front of the carriage, while the second took up a cautious stance just outside the door. "Is that so?" Ashtallion heard a third soldier say, though he could not see the speaker quite yet. "Perhaps an explanation is in order?"

The guard outside the door nodded and faced Ashtallion through the window. "I'll have to ask you to step down for a moment, good sir. The sergeant will want to be speaking with you." His companion grasped the handle of the carriage and made ready to open it for Ashtallion to exit.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

As the carriage made its rather slow journey towards Argils' estate, it gave the mage time to allow the days events to sink in. He was a Noble. That alone would have been sufficiant to bowl him over, for now the sorcerer had to consider many other aspects of that position. Never one to enjot intrigue and politics.....Ashtallion was now finding himself thrust into that slippery game of plotting. Suppressing a sigh his mind wandered to Alustariel. Now she was more suited to such a world, beautiful and strong willed, she had more than just her alluring looks to bewilder and confound her opponents. If only she had been stronger and better trained in sorcery, those humans would not have laid a finger on her.... or had he himself been there, their fingers would be his as a trophy.

That anger whelled in him again, burning with a savage passion. Asht had never considered himself racially prejudice, but this latest act of aggression on his sister was rapidly diminishing the value he attested humans. At any rate, the ones that had harmed his silver sister would pay for it, if not with their lives, then with a a great deal of suffering at the sorcerers hands.

To distract his troubled thoughts, the adhiel mage gazed out over the beautiful surroundings he travelled through. The colours and rolling greenary eased the tension from his shoulders and mind. Yet with the distant howling, the frown returned. A dark line appearing on his forehead that matched the shadows swirling behind his golden eyes. However the golden sorcerer was not to be given the time to ponder the howling wolves as the carriage was stopped, muttering voices and then two faces appearing at the window on the right hand side of the carriage.

What now!

With a cold and expressionless face, Ashtallion stepped out of the carriage. The Pelegrim was once more around his waist and with it a small sense of security was also returned. " Will he know? Very well then. Please make it quick... I have important matters to attend to. ", turning to the previously unseen gaurd, Asht regarded him intently before speaking. " Are you the Sergeant? I am Lord Ashtallion Alrul. ", the let the title drop from his lips heavily, mentally flinching at using it, but he prayed it would settle this quickly.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The middle-aged sergeant was brisk and to the point, much like his appearance might suggest. His chestnut hair was neatly clasped at the nape of his neck, his uniform was sharp and orderly; even the pale scar on his left cheek somehow enhanced his air of professionalism. If he felt out of place dealing with a man claiming to be a lord, he showed nothing of the sort.

"I am Aichlinn Curran, Sergeant of the Seawall," the adhiel replied smartly. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance Lord Alurl, though I apologize it is not under better circumstances. There is some unrest in the city this eveningtide, and we are trying to make sure everyone is safe to go about their business. Just a few questions and we'll have you on your way."

Behind the sergeant the human driver of the conveyance had hopped down from his seat and was clutching his felt hat in both hands, a helpless look of apology in his eyes as he glanced at Ashtallion. It seemed his own explanations had not been satisfactory enough for the guardsmen.

The sergeant cast his amber eyes to the door of the carriage, where the Insurinn crest stood out against the black lacquer of the door. "As one of my men most ably pointed out, you are not the Lord Advocate yet you ride in his carriage. How is that?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion smiled slightly towards the driver, an unspoken answer to the mans obvious discomfort. Turning back to the sergeant his smile vanished, yet the previous coldness had left his eyes. " Naturally, Sergeant Curran. You're attention to duty is most admirable. ", Ashtallion withdrew the letter given to him by Argil, stating his use of the carriage. He extended it towards the Sergeant.

" The Lord Advocate and I were in a meeting earlier on this day. Certain other events transpired that I will refrain from mentioning..... at any rate, Lord Argil has extended an invitation to me to reside at his estate and as such gave me the use of his carriage to retrieve my belongings and those my sister before continuing to his residence. ", the mage gestured to the short letter, " If that does not give you enough proof, I believe you will still find the Lord Advocate at the Temple. Although it will add time to my already tight schedule, I will gladly return to vouch for my sincerity. "
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

OOC: Sorry Asht, bad week...
-----------------

The adhiel sergeant accepted the note from Ashtallion and perused the message written there, along with the golden embossed initials of Argil Insurinn on the letterhead. The soldiers eyes lifted for but a flicker to consider the golden-haired sorcerer before finishing off the letter and shaking his head to Ashtallion.

"No, Lord Alurl, that won't be necessary," Curran replied, handing the stationary back to Ashtallion. "You are free to carry on your way, with my best wishes for a safe stay at the Lord Advocate's estate. Make sure you take care and do not tarry on your way, for not everyone we have stopped has been allowed to pass."

The sergeant's amber eyes met Ashtallion's squarely, even as his men were backing off and opening up a path for the carriage to continue on its way. "The animals are restless, and there are those still not leashed."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

OOC: No probs! :)

IC:

Ashtallion took the letter back, his eyes never leaving the sergeant. " You are diligent in your duty, sergeant, I will remember such and will inform the Lord Advocate of your caution. ", he allowed a small smile to slip past his lips, before giving a short bow of his head and turning he headed back into the carriage.

However he stopped, catching the captains last words, without looking around, his head down slightly. " Animals in captive can be the most vicious captain..... thank you for the safe wishes..... however I believe I can defend myself adequately enough. ", hopefully you mean!

The golden eyed adhiel stepped into the carriage and closed the door himself, settling into the cushions once more and enjoying the simple luxury. Ashtallion thought to himself, I could certainly get used to travelling like this.... much more comfortable!

" Carry on, driver! "
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The carriage quickly lurched into motion and Ashtallion found himself once again in transport to Argil's estate. The rest of the journey, admittedly short despite the busy streets, was concluded without incident and within burns Ashtallion was staring out the window at the gates of the Insurinn compound.

The street frontage of the grounds was not so different from the Cullàmh estate, consisting of a golden-brown stone wall topped with spiked iron grillwork and intermittently draped in curling green vines. The gate before which the carriage had stopped was also ironwork, and though its design was no less spectacular than Rilana's, this one emanated strength over beauty. Perched on the arch over the gates was the wrought iron symbol of the Insurinn clan, the eagle over the mountain.

Two adhiel guards swathed in blue dhoti with black trim and looking very capable exchanged a short word with the driver before waving them through. Each nodded to the golden-haired sorcerer as the carriage rolled past, before closing the gates securely behind them.

Here again the Insurinn estate deviated from what Ashtallion had seen when he and his sister had visited Loraith. Where the Cullàmh grounds were neatly manicured and arranged Argil's home was more natural, with a flowing sense of beauty all its own. The path leading to the house was bordered by tall banyans, but beyond Ashtallion could see mixtures of open lawn, shrubbery and trees that enticed one to explore. It was as though the Insurinn holdings merely borrowed of the land upon which they stood.

The manor house was another departure from Cerleann architecture, though impressive in its own right. The rounded domes and gleaming colours of the capital were absent, while the straight lines, peaked roofs, natural materials and warm colours of the northern hills dominated. Greenery was the only constant, with shrubbery and flowering gardens accenting the front verandah and ivy climbing the walls and encircling the columns supporting the carriageway. Lights danced merrily in lamps hanging across the verandah and at the carriage entrance, bathing the building in a warm, welcoming glow.

The door of the carriage opened and a human lad silently ushered Ashtallion out of the conveyance. Atop the three short stairs that led to the visitor's entrance stood an adhiel in impeccable dress, the fine fabric of his outfit also dyed in the house colours of blue and black. His reddish gold hair, greying now in his later years, was pulled back neatly and fastened with a short length of black ribbon. Clear brown eyes regarded the new arrival with welcoming interest and a smile appeared the instant Ashtallion's feet hit the paved drive.

"Good evening, m'lord," the adhiel greeted Ashtallion with a bow. "I am Kerhaelin, steward of the Lord Advocate's estate. Welcome to Lord Argil's home."

With hands clasped before him, Kerhaelin's expression betrayed just a hint of the surprise he must have felt at Ashtallion's unannounced arrival before carry on. "How might I be of service to you this eveningtide?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion was suitably impressed with the gardens, the greenary and colours of the flowers surrounding the estate. Here was a place of true nobilty that enhanced the natural world instead of dominating it. He would have to steal a few moments at some point to simply wander amongst the beauty. It had been some time since he had the chance to merely appreciate nature, his thoughts always ablaze with flames, magical words and incantations, controlling his emotions and reactions, pressuring himself to work harder, pushing himself further into sorcery and the true ranks of power that awaited him.

For now, all he really wanted was some rest.

Stepping out of the carriage, Ashtallion was gratified to find a smiling face before him. It put him at ease. " Namaste. ", Ashtallion nodded but once, " I am Lord Ashtallion Urdil Alrul..... ", he severely destested having to use that title, but it served its purpose. " .....the Lord Advocate has extended an invitation to me. He has generously offered me a place to reside for the time being until I can find a more permanent accomodation. "

Reaching into a pocket, the mage withdrew the parchment and handed it to the older adhiel, " Lord Argils' signature and seal, incase you have reason to doubt my word. I have already been stopped by the guards who can also vouch for me. "

Gesturing towards the coach. " Could I ask for some assistance with my belongings? I find myself somewhat tired...its been a trying day to say the least.... ", he almost flushed pink at his cheeks, asking for help, it was not something the sorcerer liked to do, yet he held a new position now and it was one he would have to get used to. Others seemed to want him to adopt this role of Lord and against his better judgement, the adhiel knew it would hold some benefits. However the disadvantages may soon out number the latter, especailly if his sisters and his own life were in danger.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lord," the steward replied, bowing again and then accepting the proffered letter from Ashtallion. He cast a perfunctory glance at the parchment but it was clear he considered it a formality at best.

"This is more than satisfactory, Lord Alurl," he said with a small smile for the sorcerer, as though apologizing for such tedious administrative requirements. "And may I say it will be a pleasure to have staying with us. If ever you find something not to your liking, please inform me immediately and it will be corrected."

Kerhaelin's smile returned again when Ashtallion asked about his belongings, but he nodded indulgingly. "M'lord, I wouldn't dream of you carting your belonging around the manor. It will be looked after, trust me. Please retrieve anything you might wish to keep on your person for now, and my staff will look after the rest."

Kerhaelin gestured toward the door to the manor where another young lad waited to open the portal at their approach. "If you will follow me, we will see to your comforts," the steward encouraged. "Would you care to spend some time in the library, or in the gardens, or just retire to your suite, m'lord?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion suppressed a sigh of relief that the gentleman was not going to ask further questions. He was getting tired of not being trusted, something that the adhiel sorcerer found unusual for others never had reason to question his actions or words.

Turning back to the carriage, Asht collected the satchel with his three books, he wouldn't allow others to handle them. He made sure the Pelegrim was around his waist also, not wanting to let the enchanted blade out of his sight for now, the memory of the wolf cries still fresh in his mind. " Thank you for the assistance.... I will retire to the library first of all, after I see the suite, just so I know where it is. I have some studying to complete.... ", he paused for a moment.

" Can you tell me, is there an open field or glade near by that goes relatively unvisited? "
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Kerhaelin nodded his understanding and led Ashtallion into the house. The main hall was sparsely lit owing to the late mark, but still clearly enough for the golden-haired sorcerer to see that it was tastefully appointed. The style was minimalist, but those decorations and ornamentations that were present were of very high quality and taste. As with all Kislovani estates, natural elements figured strongly in the abundant greenery, effective use of natural materials and generous use of windows with a view. The steward led the way up a broad staircase to the second floor of the manor, where the guest rooms were located.

"You had asked about a glade," Kerhaelin mused, as he guided Ashtallion down a corridor on the left. "There is of course the Sunsward behind the house, where guest parties are held in good weather. It is a broad expanse of lawn, although in plain view of the house from the rear patio and the upper floors."

"Depending on your desires, there might be two or three other locations on the grounds that would suffice. It would depend on what you wanted to do there, I suppose." Curious eyes shone over a crooked smile as Kerhaelin glanced at his guest, but the expression only lasted a flicker. "I can certainly arrange for a guide to show you the different spots come the morningtide, m'lord."

They had arrived at Ashtallion's suite, and the steward opened the door and showed the adhiel mage around. Inside there was a small sitting room, a bathing room, and a large bedroom complete with four-poster. One of the house maids was just finishing with the lamps as they walked in, a lazy trail of smoke drifting up from the wooden sliver in her hand. With a nod from the steward she curtsied and then silently exited the room.

"I trust this is to your liking, Lord Alurl?" asked Kerhaelin.
--------

When Ashtallion was ready, the steward next took him to the library. It was on the first floor at the far end from the carriage entrance and looked out over the front gardens. Inside were several shelves of books, many dealing with the laws and customs of Kislovan as befitted the Lord Advocate's home, but also a variety of other topics covering the arts, philosophy, history and the like. An old, careworn desk sat in the centre of the room, a family heirloom by the looks of it.

The steward stood near the door and waited a burn for Ashtallion to look around and then made his excuses. "If there is nothing else I can do for you m'lord, I shall leave you to your work. If you need anything, please ring Lord Insurinn's bell," he pointed to a silver bell with a rosewood handle sitting on the corner of the desk, "and one of the staff will be along immediately."

"Good eveningtide."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" It certainly is. ", he smiled politely, looking around the room, impressed. Compared to what he was used to it was certainly luxurious for the mage. Though he had to remind himself he was not just a sorcerer now, he was also a Noble. Holding in a sigh he turned to Kerhaelin. " And to settle your curiosity, I am a mage, though still training under Mage Falgan....... I have to practice my spell weaving.... a small one.. ", he held up a hand incase he caused any alarm. " Merely some localised mist is all. "

He looked around the room once more before being escorted to the library, and yet again was impressed by the array of books.... ok they were not detailing important arcanic facts, but still, some of the information may come in handy. There was only one book he wanted to start studying however with eager anticipation.

" That is all for now, you have my thanks. ", he gave another smile of flashing white teeth before nodding slightly.

As soon as the man servant was gone, Asht hurried to the table and sat down. He had not yet had a chance to even open the covering of this book of magic. The thrill of excitement coursed in him like fine wine. Taking the book out of his satchel, the mage placed it gingerly on the table. A deep breath and he opened it...

The Secrets of Creation.

It was a book from the University of magic, alone with the book on demons, monsters and also the book of battle magicks and techniques. It was the Secrets of Creation which spiked his interest the most however, its title daring and bold and hopefully filled with intoxicating magicks!
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The tome was clearly ancient, its hide binding worn thin by innumerable hands just as eager as Ashtallion's, its brass fittings corroded to a brown, pockmarked finish. The volume even smelled old, like the musty air that billowed up when one sorted through stacks of documents long set aside in the cellar archives of abbeys and universities. Scrawled in faded ink across the cover, in archaic letters barely discernable to a modern eye, read the words that sent a thrill through any mage who read them.

The Secrets of Creation.

The book opened randomly at Ashtallion's gentle touch, displaying aged, dogeared sheets covered in what appeared to be a host of languages all mixed together. Even those entries that appeared simple adhiel were difficult to read, the style varying from thin spidery scribbles to bold grandiose strokes, all in characters familiar and yet alien at the same time. It was clear that an understanding of the text would take some time to divine, even for those sections Ashtallion was able to read.

The golden-haired sorcerer also noticed a curious trait in the tome as he flipped through the contents, namely that he seemed only able to effectively view a small number of the pages. Entire sections defied Ashtallion's attempts, either by containing frustratingly faded sections where the barest hint of ink enticed but did not reveal, pages ripped or marred by spilled ink or water damage, and most curiously pages that simply refused to be parted for review no matter how diligently the mage coaxed them.

After perhaps half a mark of general scanning, Ashtallion had determined there were four main sections he could reasonably study in the compendium. The front section, entitled Facts of Creation, was the first topic in the tome and though obviously well-perused was still easily legible and seemed a treatise of sorts. Then collected in the second half of the book were three sections, each separated by an uneven number of damaged or otherwise unreadable pages. These sections were entitled Master of the Heavens, Ultimate Power, and Immortali, and all appeared to describe specific magics.

The study was quiet, with only faint rustlings from the rest of the house as the servants went about their last duties before retiring. The lamps were still well-fed judging by the strength of their flames. All that remained was a decision on what section to begin with, and the Secrets of Creation would belong to Ashtallion.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

His fingers trembled with excitement as the book opened....yeah such was swiftly replaced by frustration. What had he been expecting? A mage of his mere rank being able to study a tome that was obviously of powerful sorceries straight away...perhaps he had thought too highly of his own abilities. Pursuing the book further did bring a spark of hope as he found a few sections that with effort could be discerned more easily.

Facts of Creation.... it would of course make sense to start with this, perhaps being a basis on which he could build the other sections on. Yet the other three screamed of power to him and what was his ultimate goal, but to attain power. Not your average magery tricks, but High Order Magicks, the likes of which few wizards have seen never mind are capable of. Master of the Heavens, Ultimate Power and Immortali, the sorcerer all but started to salivte at the potential might he could achieve with these, but further study would only reveal their truths.

He decided with Master of the Heavens, such a grand and elaborate title demanded that he pursue its writings...the others were their for his leasure to read later.

His heart hammering in his chest, his mind willing it to slow and bring himself into control once more. Ashtallion was Master of himself and would allow no room for distraction at this moment..... he started to sieve through the words, gleaning what he could.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"The stars in the heavens are but sparks struck from the anvil of creation, caught in the firmament when the very gods themselves were forged and worlds cast across the universe, there to smolder fitfully forever. But even dross from that miraculous creation carry untold power..."

So started the section Ashtallion decided to study, Master of the Heavens. The initial prose was archaic and caused the adhiel sorcerer to squint despite the good lighting in the study, but with concentration he was able to glean the gist of the entry. The short paragraphs were written in reverential awe of the heavens and spoke of the creation of the stars blazing above and the myriad of worlds that circled them.

"Far more than simple repositories of raw power, after The Scattering the stars aligned themselves in patterns of power so intricate and far reaching that it is beyond belief to credit it a random event. There is sense of life in the stars, a force that beats against the cold darkness, that thrives in its midnight bed."

"To master the heavens then, is to create life itself..."

The words began to change by the second page, as the first overtones of arcane power began to slip into the convoluted sentences. The hand grew spidery and dense, and yet the words drew Ashtallion on, deeper and deeper into the mysteries the tome described. Beneath his fingers, pages yellowed with age almost seemed to thrum with a subtle vibration as he continued to read...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The sorcerer did not miss the slight sensation of power that flowed from the yellowed pages. It stirred his blood, his soul singing with the prospect of power. This is what I'm after! Ascendance! Rising through the ranks of the Arcane.....sorcery untold...holding the very stars in my hands.

His excitement was not such that it could lead him to distraction, he focused on every word, though the concentration was intense, trying to sift through the paragraphs and archaic langauge, but he endured it. His eyes never left the book, following the words intently, sitting in the quiet he needed. The mage murmured a few of the sentences as he read them, trying to memorise them, understand them, to make the power his own in his mind and heart and soul.

Such will be my power, even the sun, moon and stars will not be beyond my reach. Demons? I will assail the Nether itself!

Before getting carried away with such grands notions though, the sorcerer read ever on. Not even away of the candleflickers passing by.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The tome continued, and with Ashtallion's intense concentration all else dropped away. The words drew him onward steadily, each syllable whispering of power waiting to be unleashed, the structure of the entry marshalling the might of the very heavens themselves.

By the third page the sorcerer was clearly caught within a spell of great power. No more was this a description of what power the stars contained; instead the arcane scrawl bored into the mysteries of their arcane energies with the sole purpose of tapping that untold crackling depth. Faintly around the edges of his vision Ashtallion could see swirlings of the Aether, platinum and fiery gold slowly coiling about the place where he stood. He realized he was now speaking aloud the words he read, plowing steadily forward through the convoluted spell.

But these were merely fleeting observations, for the tome was what held his eyes and his concentration. The spell begged for completion, it sang of joyous power. It demanded that Ashtallion continue...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The Magus had risen from the seat, standing with the book held between his palms. Only vaguley was he aware of what was happening, yet his mind and soul sung with such power as he had never felt before. It thrummed through him like the strings of harp, strong and sweet. The words were that of a spell and it desired him to continue, who was he to deny the release of such magic? The arcanic script burned in his mind, how could he ever forget the words that burned into his memory and mind. Imprinting on his heart.

The aetheric energies of platinum and gold were strange to him, yet he only reveled in these new sorceries. Weaving the pattern with the book, speaking the incantations loudly, no longer murmuring.

However, there was a part of him, a small irrtating voice at the back of his mind, shroaded within shadows so deep and buried he could barely make out what it was saying. Stop, you idiot! Stop!
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The spell called Ashtallion onward, and each incomprehensible word the sorcerer spoke dripped with molten power. With his trained eyes he could see the energies swirling around him like a whirlpool, the platinum and flaming gold intertwining and mixing to form a shimmering maelstrom within the confines of the study. Overhead a vision of the starry sky formed, burning pricks of silver in a field of deep blue, as though the upper floor and roof of the manor had never been.

Somewhere in the background, far too faint to be heard by Ashtallion over the rush of mystic energies, an insistent pounding came from the study door.

The immense feeling of power reached a crescendo when the golden-haired adhiel saw he was on the final page of the spell, a handful of spidery lines all that remained between him and the completion of his mastery of the heavens. And then the final word was spoken, and though the aetheric whirlwind still raged around him and the vision of the stars remained above, an ominous, suffocating silence settled over the study.

One flicker, two flickers, three flickers...

With a deafening roar the swirling energy accelerated and then launched skyward, spearing through the vision overhead and streaking like a flaming arrow straight toward the constellations prowling the night sky, platinum and fiery golden sparks trailing behind. Ashtallion could see the energy flying far beyond normal sight, until the magical missile struck the heart of Arkovda, constellation of the Great Bear. The sky seemed almost to ripple, and the sorcerer felt a slight concussion down to his bones. Like water down the drain the vision overhead collapsed into itself, and then only the unmarked ceiling remained.

From the door came a steady hammering of fist upon wood, and an urgently concerned voice. "Lord Alurl, are you all right? Please open the door, m'lord!"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The sorcerer stood in exhaltation, reveling in the thundering maelstrom of aetheric energy surrounding him. Never before had Ashtallion felt such power coursing through him, he was touching the power present in the very heavens themselves. Nothing else mattered aside from this moment, from the rushing roar of the spell words, the swirl of sorcery, the stars and heavens above.

Silence.

In that moment of sublime quiet, Ashtallion could have lived forever, basking in his triumph of casting the spell.

Wait...

Too late, the spell finished and slammed skywards, an arrow striking the sky and stars themselves, the rippled spreading out. It was only then he heard the door being hammered against, someone shouting out to him. He could not speak, the sorcerer fell to his knees, the powerful spell, nothing like he had cast before, having drained him. What have I done? He had no idea what the spell was supposed to do, though somewhere in him he knew, the spell painting a picture in his mind. But he couldn't grasp the power now, free of the weaving.

" I'm...I'm alright! ", his voice cracked. Pushing himself up and moving across the room with timid steps, fearing whatever exhaustion might take him would crash him to the floor. Opening the door he opened it... " I'm sorry.", he looked over his shoulder at the book, lying open. " I was reading, never heard you... ", I can't remember locking the door! Was that part of whatever I cast?!

" Tell me! ", in a moment of sudden comprehension, " Is there anything strange outside? The sky? Has something happened? ", there was a wildness to his golden eyes, he fought against the rising panick. Gods, what have I done? You stupid, stupid bastard!
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Ashtallion was confronted by two house servants when he opened the door, a stocky young human lad who had been doing the pounding, and behind him a willowy achadhiel lass with a bundle of laundered sheets clasped tightly to her chest. Both looked alarmed at the appearance of the golden-haired sorcerer, though the lad recovered soon enough.

"You...you were calling out in a strange tongue, m'lord," stammered the servant, suddenly looking unsure of himself. His dark eyes flicked past the adhiel to the strange tome laying open upon the desk, and then back to the sorcerer. "I...we...feared for your safety. Perhaps some sort of attack..." The lass nodded behind him, her eyes wide. "There have been howls in the city tonight, m'lord," the lad concluded weakly.

The two shrunk back even further when Ashtallion pressed them with his questions about the sky. "The sky, m'lord?" asked the lad, clearly not understanding the lord's fervor. "I...I don't know. We've been in the manor since supper, m'lord."

"There's a window just down the hall, m'lord," piped up the achadhiel lass, finally finding her voice despite their guest's strange behaviour. A graceful arm extended, pointing down the hall from where the trio conversed. "You could look outside from there, or on the rear patio."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" It was a spell... ", he looked back to the open tome, having noticed the lad had saw it also. " ....hence the strange language. I don't... ", he paused and shook his head. He was about to reveal that he had no clue what the spell actually did, but decided that it was best to keep that to himself for now. Ashtallion brushed passed the two servants, moving to the end of the corridor to look out the window....but then stopped and whirled about to face them once more.

" Wait, you said there have been howls in the city? ", his tone suggested this alarmed him greatly. " Have there been any reports? "

Should he venture out again? The Brotherhood of the Wolf....they could very well be trying to kill Alustariel at the Temple. Would they dare attack it? It was a place of healing for both adhiel and humans. " Can one of you arrange for the Lord Advocates carriage to take me into the City? I need to get to the temple immediately. "

He had fogotten about the sky altogether, his more pressing concern was Alu. Yet in the back of his mind there was something foreboding about what he had done. What was the spell supposed to do? In his pursuit for power and strength he had misplaced his reason and wisdom. Seventy yahren and you would think I'd had learned something!
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Both servants' eyes widened at Ashtallion's casual reference to the spell. Magic was hardly a rarity, but something in their involuntary response made it clear to the sorcerer that neither had previously experienced anything close to what had been going on behind the study door.

His sudden about face in the corridor startled them anew, the lass even letting out a little yelp of surprise, before the lad mastered his tongue again to answer Ashtallion's question.

"Yes, m'lord. The howls have been off and on since early eveningtide, since before you came to the estate, even. Did you not hear them before?"

"As for reports, I've heard naught from here, m'lord. Though we're a bit removed from the city proper, bless K'tan for the mercy."

"There's something...a glowing, it looks like, over the city," piped up the achadhiel maiden tremulously. "I saw it from upstairs, just before I came down with the sheets," she said, the linen still clutched protectively in front of her against the sorcerer's insistent manner. "With it so late and the house and grounds all dark, it shows up especially well."

"It frightens me, though," she cast her eyes downward, ashamed at the admission.

The servant boy didn't spare her any sympathy, but carried on with Ashtallion. "M'lord, the carriage went back out shortly after you arrived. To fetch Lord Argil I expect, but I don't think he's come home yet. It's the only carriage the Lord Advocate has," he trailed off apologetically.

In the small silence that followed this short exchange, the faint tinkle of glass sounded from the far end of the hall...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Something was glowing over the city? Could it be a fire? He needed to get to Alustariel and protect her....the howls ripped through him, chilling his blood at the thought of what they would do to Alu. " I'll have to go in on foot then.... if the Lord Advocate arrives back and I am gone, please inform him where I have went. He will undoubtably be concerned, assure him though I can defend myself quite effectively... ", the mage stopped though as in the silence he heard the tinkling sound of glass.

Turning, the sorcerer regarded the end of the hall, started walking towards it, curious as to what could have made the sound. He extended his magical senses, searching out with more than sight, sound and smell.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Both servants let Ashtallion move forward toward the slight but ominous sound, content to let the lord sorcerer deal with whatever shadowy secret made the noise. The lass clutched sheets tight to her chest and over her lower face, revealing nothing but wide eyes, and the lad swallowed hard against his fear. Both remained stock still.

Senses stretched into both realms, Ashtallion noted nothing in particular as he walked down the hall. His feet trod on plush carpets, his breathing was measured, the lad and lass behind him were frozen still, and the rest of the house was darkened for the night. Quiet reigned supreme. And yet, the tinkling sound had been no figment of the imagination.

Toward the far end of the hall, wreathed in deep shadow, two doors stood opposite one another. On Ashtallion's right the portal was closed, but to the left the door was fully open. From his vantage partway down the hall, only an endless inky blackness waited beyond.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”