Kis: Decisions and Consequences - Temple of K'tan - 27th ET

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Kis: Decisions and Consequences - Temple of K'tan - 27th ET

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

She had be able to eat, albiet nothing that required a great deal of chewing. He lower jaw still hurt where she had been hit. But Alu was definitely stronger then she had been when first brought to the Temple.

Sitting in a chair out in a garden it was hard to avoid a sense of peace and health or perhaps life all around her. That made the tension in the acolytes even more obvious and they went from place to place on thier daily tasks.

Aaarrrroooooooo

The howl broke the evening air. A lone wolf call, perhaps reaching out from the mountains.

Aaarrrroooooooo
Aaarrrroooooooo
Aaarrrroooooooo

It was answered again and again; wolf howls from all around. Some sounding as realistic as the first. But many were clearly false, human imitations. They seemed to go on and on echoing back and forth, with some of them getting closer to the temple.[/u]
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

Alu felt a sharp chill shoot down her spin and forced her to sit bolt upright, she looked around. Nobody in the Garden had made that noise, but it was close, too close for comfort. And she knew exactly what it meant - the Brotherhood of the Wolf were about. They're mere presence close to the Temple made Alu wonder whether they had come to finish her off.

"Bastards" she cursed in a wisper "Only a coward attacks a place of healing" she vented, knowing full well nobody else would hear. Though Alu was now quite concerned, this place held many sick and injured who, if Adhiel and the Temple was stormed, would surely be cut down. Would the Brotherhood dare attack the Temple? Alu was not about to find out.

She got up and got the attention of one of the Acolytes who were going about their duties passing through the Garden. Her eyes were wide thought not in fear, instead they gleamed with purpose. As she spoke to the young cleric her voice was direct but calm.

"Forgive my forwardness, dear acolyte, but time may be of the essence - who is in charge here m'dear? Can you take me to them?" Alu's voice may have sounded a tad hurried, she did not want to wait for the howls to come any closer. Her first plan was to try and close off the Temple to the outside world, thus protecting those inside.

Alu had met the Wolves before, she thought about it as she looked at the remaining bandages and bruises, especially the main wound on her shoulder. Perhaps the Wolves were coming to finish the job. So be it, the fools had no idea who she was, if they moved against her they moved against one who wanted to return Kislovan to peace, a woman with no bias on race... Certainly, she was not the murderess they thought her to be.

The fact that they were being so bold tonight worried her, this was so brazen who knows how many of them confidently strode throught the streets tonight.

Yes, best to ensure that all are safe in here, I'm not wandering about in the dark tonight. she decided thoughtfully.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Well that would be Mother Latheal, the High Priestess. I'm sure she would be happy to see you, but right now things are a little hectic. Can I suggest that you return to your room? I can't imagine there would actually be trouble here at the Temple, but still it never hurts to be careful." The acolyte, a younger looking achadiel with sharply pointed ears was clearly nervous; the tremble in her voice belying the calmness of her words.

"Mother Latheal has asked that I make sure the gates are open but watched. We don't want to turn anyone away that truly needs the Mother's help on a night like this."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"I can understand that with the Brotherhood in town we may be looking at a few more Adhiel patients" Alu conceeded, nodding softly "But they are the ones who did this to me ..." she revealed the extent of their bruises "And if I am right they are returning for me. they know me ... and they want me dead, they take orders for one who tried to have me killed this afternoon and though he may have failed he will try to finish me off" she said darkly.

"I respect any pre-occupation Mother Latheal may have, but my life may depend on seeing her" Alu's voice was calm, not frantic, she knew that the Acolyte's notion that the Temple would never be raided was not comforting in the least. If Cuhir was behind this would he be so bold to slay her in a Temple? It was the worst case scenario, but Alu had to prepare for such.

Alu leant down to meet the shorter adhiel eye's but her words remained calm and steady. Millions of opions and ideas were running through her head - she was fairly certain now that the Wolves might be coming for her and her alone.

"If you can provide me with adequate guards to protect me as a precaution I will return to my room. Otherwise, please take me to the High Mother ... you can tell her that she can be angry with me for breaking her current business, she can blame me, Lady Alu Alurl of the Anghiril clan, for her trouble" she introduced her formal title. She detested using it, but the Anghiril name might just pose the correct bargaining chip.

"I don't mean to be arrogant or troublesome, my dear" she patted the young acolyte on the shoulder "But I have dealt with these people before, I pray you will not have the same experience. Please, take me to the High Mother" she gave a comforting smile to the Acolyte.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The acolyte wasn't exactly dithering, but clearly she was out of her element and a strong voice was just what she needed to hear right now.

With a nod, she led Alu through the Temple gardens.

ARRRROOOOOOOOOO

The calls continued. Most of them seemed to be headed toward the city center, but it was hard to tell from the echoes. The harshness of the cries counterpointed directly with the peace and contemplation of the herb gardens the two women passed through. They went up a small set of steps, apparently formed by training tree roots to grow out and support flat areas of soil, into one of the buildings.

Down a hallway lead to a fairly large office area with several desks. At one side of the room at a desk nearly identical to the others sat an elderly adhiel. Her sari was simple, identical to the others Alu had seen throughout the Temple except for a single stripe of white that ran along the entire outer border.

A group of acolytes and mothers was gathered around her as she gave them instructions. Even from the other side of the room Alu could feel the calm and strength radiating from the woman.

"...Marissa, you and Dhurana go and start preparing bandages and salves. The wards will be full of people needing our help soon and we must be ready."

Even before her guide could speak, the High Priestess looked up, her sharp ice-blue eyes meeting Alu's. "Ahh, child, I was just about to call for you."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"Know that I am at your service, High Mother Latheal" Alu curtsied respectfully. Latheal was one of the leaders of the religion of the Mother, Alu's religion, and therefore Alu felt a great deal of reverence for this serene woman. There was a calm aura around her that seemed to ease Alu's concerns but did not remove them.

As expected the Healers were readying themselves for a night that promised more work. They seemed to have known what the wolf howls meant as if they had dealt with this before. They are the true Kislovani, Alu thought, Those who weather the storm of the extremist conflict and then tend those hurt by it. Alu exused herself politely as she stood amongst them and disrupted their planning. She nodded with a smile to Dhurana, the acolyte who had attended her earlier.

"I would be happy to recieve any instruction you might wish on me, High Mother" Alu said softly "But may I speak with you aside for but a moment? I have concerns and I fear I may be endangering the Temple" Alu said, the Mother might have noticed her reserve, for Alu did not want to blurt out and proclaim her plight in front of everybody.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Come child, it is a beautiful night outside. Walk with me." Taking Alu's arm with one hand and leaning on an intricately wound and carved cane in the other, the High Mother led her charge out onto the Temple grounds.

Her steps were slow and careful with age, but never faltered. It was as she placed the cane in a small depression in the soil to keep her balance that Alu realized the cane was not carved. It had grown into exactly that shape.

"You like it?" the High Mother asked, seeing the direction of Alustariel's eyes. It was a gift from the sacred oak near the front gate. "So what do you want to tell me?"
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"I do, High Mother, it is the essence of nature's beauty and simplicity" she said admiring the cane with a smile, then she gave a short fey laugh "But perhaps I like it more because I feel I am in need of one".

"My thanks for allowing me time to speak with you, for I know time is pressing" she began slowly "I have recently come under knowledge from a reliable source at court that I have a double life, my mother was Elamshin Alurl a member of a branch the Anghiril family, she abandoned her title long ago and so it has passed to me" Alu felt she said that first round of information a little quickly and so calmed herself before continuing.

"I am the Lady Alustariel Alurl, and that makes me one of three contenders to the Anghiril family leadership beneath her current gace the Lady Seneschal of the Chamber, Mithuinn Anghiril. I have never wanted such a position, but the fact that I exist as a possible choice alone makes me a target ... for the other two contenders are my brother Ashtallion and Mithuinn's son, Cuhir"

"My source at Court has given me rise to suspicion that Cuhir may be using any means possible to protect his inheritance ... including using members of the Brotherhood. The attack on me this afternoon may have been orchestrated ... but I survived ... I know it may sound paranoid, but now I fear that if these suspicions are correct they may be planning to finish the job tonight"

All the way, Alu's voice was calm and controlled, she knew she had to keep her head in this situation. Besides, she would be damned if she let a coward such as Cuhir claim her head.

"I need your wisdom, High Mother. For if I am correct they may come to the Temple. And though I do not want to die just yet" she said the last sentance with a wry, bleak smile "... I do not want to endanger the House of the Mother or those who seek her care or tend her gardens" Alu bowed her head and solemnly waited to High Priestess' reply.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"You suspect your own brother of using the Brotherhood of the Wolf against you?" The High Mother stopped in mid stride and turned to face Alu.

Alustariel could feel the weight of the stare when the High Mother turned her full attention to her. "No, not your brother, Cuhir." The priestess laughed, reaching out to hold Alu's hand. "Please do not be upset with me child, but I could as soon see a waterfall turn into a river of candied yams as I could see Cuhir and the Wolf ever doing something together."

She continued to lean on her young charge as the two of them continued on to where a bench waited. Sitting down, she motioned for Alu to join her. "It may be that the Brotherhood is indeed targeting you after the unfortunate incident with Soffaine. It may be that Cuhir is bent on keeping you from his new position as heir-apparent. But by the Mother's grace, I can assure that if so you have no reason to fear the two of them ever joining forces."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"I know it must seem absurd" Alustariel conceeded, nodding her head in agreement "That a Adhiel of nobility would escape his predjudices and work with humans ... " this sentance she sneered, for Alu did not carry the disdain and predjudice of her peers " ... Perhaps it is that I fear I see the scale of conspiracy and ruthlessness has grown in Kislovan since my last visit".

Alustariel joined the elder woman sitting down and stared at their beautiful green surroundings with a heavy sigh.

"But whether they work together or not, both have reason to hate me and want me dead" she said calmly " ... further more, would either dare storm the Temple to take me?" she seemed to ask this last question to herself in musing thought, but said it aloud for the High Mother to hear.

"I never meant to hurt Souffiene, but I know it was my stupidity that scarred her" Alu kicked the ground at her feet "And just when I thought Asht and I could settle down, we find we're some relatives of the Anghiril and in line for its leadership!. But there is little to complain about I suppose, I suppose this sort of thing always plagues an adventurer when they try to settle down" Alu smiled wryly and patted the High Mother's hand gently.

"So, if I may be so bold as to request your wisdom, dear High Mother. What should I do? Tonight I mean. Do you think we are safe here or should I try to make it to another safehouse? ... I would risk the dark streets to avert unwanted and violent attentions on the Temple by those looking for me."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Child. This is K'tan's home. You have been welcomed here, and you are an honored guest. I cannot say what these people would be willing to try, but remember that Vargaz himself was unable to take the Lady of the Surf from him. I do not fear the misplaced anger of a couple of men. Human or Adhiel. You are here and here you should stay."

Even as she spoke, the howls could be heard, Ahhrooo, Ahhrooooo with some of them clearly getting closer.

As she spoke, the mother put her hand back against the oak that the bench sat under.

The discussion finished the mother stood up, her cane more an ornament than a tool. She bowed to the tree, "I thank you my friend for the gift of your strength, and hope I will find it unneeded.

"Come, child let us see how things are progressing." Standing tall, and striding purposefully she headed back towards the main building."
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

The moonlight flickered on Alu's face as she listened to the High Mother. The younger adhiel's face was as still as a stone as she heard further howls. Then, a small smile crossed her face.

"You are right, my good High Mother, sometimes it is better to stand and weather a possible storm than run from phantoms that I do not yet know the face of" she said dully as the High Mother seemed to recieve some energy from the Tree. Alu could tell it was magick, but a very different magick than that which she was used to ... it seemed much more natural, but she expected no less from a powerful servant of the Mother deity.

"Yes, let us return, your acolytes need your leadership more than I need your friendly shoulder ... " Alu said smiling " ... despite how much I have enjoyed the comfort of your words"

Alu patted a hand on the High Mother's shoulder in a friendly gesutre. She allowed the elder Adhiel to walk on a bit until she was almost out of earshot near the main building. Then Alu leant closer in to the great Oak Tree and did the strangest thing she had ever done ... she spoke to it, or rather she spoke to it as she prayed to the Mother, moments of desperation often led to a strong moment of faith.

"Great child of Nature" Alu whispered, calling to the wooden giant. She caressed it's bark with a loving finger, tracing the knots and lines in its surface as tender as any lover "Guard your Temple and your Priestess" Alu indicated to the High Mother "and guard her flock, let them work this night in peace and protection - they who tend to the sores that this civil strife recklessly causes.". Alu leant her forehead against the tree "And watch over Ashtallion" she added with a smile before finishing with "Blessed is the Mother from whom life is born" and stepping away and moving off to rejoin the High Mother.

Alu picked up pace until she walked alongside the elderly Priestess. "Thank you for allowing me to confide my troubles with you, High Mother, in return I render my assistance to you in whatever task you wish on me tonight"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As they walked along the Temple grounds the high mother stopped in at the infirmary, and made sure things were prepared. A stop at the gates showed them to be well lit and welcoming. As they Alu and the high priestess travelled back to her offices she noticed there was a fog rolling. Thick clouds of white billowed accross the gounds obscouring everything from sight, rendering the voices of others on the grounds tinny and distant.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

As the fog covered the ground and air, thick wispy shapes began to slowly dance among the shadows of the night. The howling ceased its accompaniment of the evening sounds, and eventually all sounds came to an end. Gradually, the twisting apparitions in the fog parted and a completely clear narrow corridor appeared...save for one thing.

A large man dressed in clothing as dark as the night stood defiantly amidst the eerie scene. From underneath his dark hued cloak, the highly polished hilt of a blade shone radiently. His pace was slow, but deliberate. His stride was as graceful as any as he appeared to glide over the ground. Though his intentions were not yet revealed, even a non-scholar could determine that this man was not here to make friends. Perhaps it was how he carried himself. Perhaps it was how he seemed to be in command of the elements of the night. Perhaps it was just the timing of the weather mixed with the suspicions of the adhiel woman. Whatever it was, evil lurked about.

If one was careful to study the shapes dancing within the thick fog, they could occasionally spot other dark figures. Though they were not as defiant as the one with the silvered blade, their movements brought them closer all the same. For now, these obfuscated others would remain masked by fog and darkness.

All at once, they all stopped...or was the fog moving in unison with them to give the illusion of the world's motions coming to a halt? With a quick look around, one could tell that the other figures in the fog were either hiding or perhaps they had never even been there to begin with. Only the lone figure was still readily visible.

At that instant, the howling erupted from all sides of Alu. The sounds were impossibly close...as if they were upon her already. It beared no beauty...it was clearly a mournful howl of death. Mixed within the chorus of wolf howls was a dull laugh...a mocking laugh...a laugh that was made by one that knew what was in store for the evening...

Tonight, the hunt ended here.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alustariel rose her head defiantly, she knew who the shadows were and she knew what they were here for. Her. Fear caught in her throat, but she would not let it show, she could not let it show.

Panic took her, but she composed herself with poise and courage. She realised that if these men were the notorious Brotherhood, they would kill her. She was not the first Adhiel noble to be taken by them ... and she'd heard what those nobles looked like when found.

She could protest, and display her regret over Souffiene's pain, which was true .... but she knew it would achieve nothing. There was more at stake here. Alu's death was a gamepiece to these men, to spread their terror to all the Adhiel in Kislovan. What they would get, she believed, was chaos. But there was more to this game, and she wanted to know about it all.

Well, if humans could be so hurt by her untrained magic as at the Inn, it was her only option to try and form an uncontrollable maelstrom again, but that too could kill her and there was no guarantee it would work.

The Howls told her that the endgame was near, these men would not leave the temple without her - dead or alive.

Slowly, it occurred to her what she must do. As her brother had always said, knowledge is power.

She folded her arms and looked away, taking the discreet moment to breathe slowly and deeply to calm herself.

"You find my unease pleasing?" she said cocking an eyebrow disdainfully. "Tell me, why do you want me?. And don't hide behind Souffiene's injury because we both know that was an accident. What my death will achieve for you ...?"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The man in front of Alu did not immediately reply to her words. A Moment of silence and then his voice sliced through the foggy air. "Unease? The only thing I will find pleasing this evening is to see your carcass hanging from these gates. You are not to die for my pleasure though. Your death will do little...it's the process of you arriving to that point that will do everything."

It was then that action erupted from all around her...

He came from behind without a sound. Another cloaked figure. A leather sap. A clasp on the cloak that glowed with power. He aimed for the base of her skull where her head attached to her neck. The howling and dialog had masking his approach. Alu's first realization that he was there was a flicker out of the corner of her eye as The Wolf raised the sap to strike.

Alu would be needed soon, but not dead. For now, she needed to be unconscious. The reality was that half a dozen men had risked everything to trespass on a holy site. The symbol was that of humans free to flaunt thier power in the very heart of the adhiel spiritual center. And sometimes the symbol was more real than the reality.

Several other figures had approached from the fog. The temple priestess was their responsibility.

They hunted as a pack of wolves; one distracting their prey as the others closed for the kill..
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"Then come then and take me. I who have lain, loved and lived with others of your kin, and let the Gods remember those who cause sacrilage by bringing such evil purpose to this house of peace and tolerance" she said defiantly. Her eyes burned with fire, not the magical flame that oft appeared in her brother's gaze - but the fire of courage and determination. As she spoke a thin smile came to her lips, they could dominate her, but it took much much more to dominate her resilient spirit.

Then he was there, by the corner of her eye she espied the assailant behind her. Alustariel had to defend herself, she winced as she anticipated the pains of previous combat - but she had to do her best to ignore it and be mindful to protect her wounds. She pretended not to the human creeping up on her until he rose his weapon to strike, and then she bent her knees slightly in the combat stance she learned from Alexu Auros, one she hoped would make things easier to dodge. Alu then contorted her torso forward and under the human's striking arm. Should the sap go whistling overhead she bunched her hands into tight fists. With the human in close proximity she went to strike using her left hand to try and backhand him across the face whilst she brought her right to deliver follow-through punch to the side of his head that she hoped would knock him back if not senseless.

The other men seemed to be heading for the Priestess, though she had no doubt others would still have their eye on her. Alu hoped that the strange power the High Mother had absorbed from the tree would come in handy tonight. Hopefully the venerable woman would hold on her own. One could only hope that perhaps the two of them could stall them here until the Guard caught news of the disturbance and came to assist.

She could do nothing more but defend herself, and with little confidence in her magickal ability she would have to rely on her martial prowess. If the human that came from behind fell, she would have to assess the next biggest threat, if not she would have to be prepared to dogde any counterstrike.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

ooc: I think this one is ready for a moderator to decide on a few actions. If not, let me know and I'll make a reply post. :)

DMD Member since 2005
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Alustariel's awareness surprised her assailant, and just as she hoped the sap swished just above the back of her bowed head, stirring the hairs but nothing more. She spun around, leading with her left arm for a backhand swipe at the man behind her, but his own attack had carried his arm unwittingly into the path of the adhiel lass' response and cut short her strike.

The quick spin was not wasted however, as Alustariel's momentum carried her around and knocked her attacker off balance. Silver flashed brightly at the neck of his cloak and then he stumbled back and to the side, leaving the fledgling sorceress a flicker's respite. In the fog around her she could sense threatening movement, but none of the Wolf's men had closed to striking distance yet.

Farther away and glimpsed dimly through the mists, the High Mother was engulfed by a small pack of dark-cloaked men all struggling to control the priestess. Green light tinged the unnatural fog around the scrum and at least one voice cried out, but they only railed against her with renewed determination.

Despite the confusion of the moment, a clear voice came into Alustariel's head, the reassuring words of the High Mother. "The fog aids us all, my child. Use it well and K'tan shall reward you."
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

His strike had missed. The Wolf could not believe he had missed. It had been a simple target...she had been distracted...

She would pay.

Her counterstrike to his attack had left him off-balance, and a slight withdraw from the fight was his only means of recovering his balance. This would now be a fair fight between them...

A cruel smile formed on his face.

Fair? NEVER!

The Wolf looked just past Alustariel and shouted, "NOW!" He then crouched as if he were a wild animal, waiting for just the right moment to unleash his fury on his hapless victim...

DMD Member since 2005
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu stared cooly at her assailant. The coward had tried to hit her from behind. "You call yourselves men!" she sneered "I've fought goblins with more guts!" she pulled her hands in front of her in a defensive stance. But then her opponent made his mistake, she noticed that he was not looking at her but past her. By the Mother, another one behind me, don't these men have any balls to attack me to my face. What pitiful whelps..

Confidence was in short supply. Alu knew that she and the Priestess were vastly outnumbered, and despite the tell-tale green sparks of some sort of magick coming from the direction of the High Mother, Alu's heart was sinking. There was no sound of approaching Guards. No Ashtallion there to catch her as he had so often been before. She loved him, she loved her brother with all her heart ... and she did not want to leave him just yet, not when they had found each other again after so many years.

But would this be a last stand? Well, not without a fight! she mused in her head. Her musings were replied to, it seemed, by the clear voice of the venerable High Mother ...

"The fog aids us all, my child. Use it well and K'tan shall reward you." the voice said. Of course! Alu thought. An Adhiel had far greater eyesight than a human, even at the worst of times .... this was certainly the worst of times. And though she could not see clearly, she could be certain she saw things a damn lot better in this fog than her opponents. And that could be her advantage.

A plan formed in her mind, she crouched low mirroring the stance of the Wolf opposite her. She watched his face very carefully for any tell-tale signs of anything going on behind her. Besides, the fog gathered thicker at the ground level. Next she looked for a wide enough gap between her enemies to run through, hopefully to somewhere choked with yet more fog to use for cover. If she could get free she might be able to find her way carefully over to the Priestess and assist her with her own plight. Fighting back to back could help them last a little longer, especially when these folks liked to try and slit your throat from behind. Together the High Priestess and the Fledgling Sorceress could perhaps hold off the rabble until help arrived. If it ever would.

Firstly, Alu focused on finding her path through the mist, and she prepared to bolt for it as soon as she found it. With any luck she could lose her current combatants in the murky cloud behind her ... or they would lose sight of her in the same gathering mist which she suspected was of their own making.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Alustariel's taunting retort, and then her studious examination of her options worked against her. By being sure of herself she allowed the Wolf to recover from her initial surprise attack and to bark a signal for an attack from behind, if the rebel leader's eyes could be believed.

But the adhiel lass did not whirl around to see what might emerge from the fog, instead maintaining her defence against the man crouched before her. If one of his accomplices really was coming she was lost, but at least the Wolf would not take her in the cowardly fashion he had first tried.

The fog swirled and reflected sounds from all directions, making it difficult for Alustariel to be sure of her options. But from the corner of her right eye it seemed there might be a clear space of welcoming whiteness that she might use to flee this encounter. If her memory served correctly, that would lead her deeper into the grounds of the temple.

Before she could decide to move or stay, a large craaack echoed across the foggy grounds, as though one of the beloved trees had snapped in half. An ominous sound to be sure - but omen for good or ill?
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

The ominous crack made Alu shiver, dare she think it had been the Great Oak inside the Temple split asunder?. No, surely if it was, she as an Adhiel and devoted servant of the Mother would have subconsiously felt a great deal more sorrow and loss at the death of such a grand child of nature.

She could not stay where she was and as soon as she spied the lighter patch of fog, leading back into the Temple, she darted for it, pushing herself to run as fast and soundlessly as she could in her state. Only once she felt hidden by the enveloping mist would she turn around to assess her next move. Hopefully the Temple could provide adequate cover to keep herself hidden from the Brotherhood. She hated running away, but she stood no chance of survival where she stood before.

She wished she had stayed at the University longer, to better her arcane skills. Alu wanted to be like her brother, conjuring fireballs and the like. If she could do that she'd show these Wolves a thing or two.

But she could not, so ruefully, she tried to flee the encounter and gain the luxury of planning her next move without being harried by cowardly backstabbers.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Alustariel fled, the mists swallowing her up in swirls of grey. Normally fleet of foot, she was less so after her plight in the streets but still nimble enough to make it an interesting chase.

The minions of the Wolf followed quickly, tracking the adhiel lass more by the eddies in the mist than any trigger of sound or sight. The fog was too thick and disorienting for much else, and hazy shapes were as likely to be fellow hunter as the girl they sought.

Shapes of darker grey loomed up on Alustariel's left, then right, as she passed first a hedge, then a small stand of trees. A bench appeared in front of her, and a gravel path led off to the left and right.

Behind her, the directionless thudding of feet remained constant...
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Near the gate, Ashtallion bent his will to dismantling the unnatural fog. With his affinity for fire these two elements were perhaps not his strongest suit, and he struggled to gain a grasp on the twined threads at first, like a fisherman fumbling to untangle his nets.

But the adhiel sorcerer's persistence paid off and finally he began unravelling the construct, concentrating on breaking the bond between the threads and then letting the elements dissipate on their own. His touch was not as deft as he had hoped, and though effective the end result was not a fading of the fog to nothingness, but rather a small breeze and small shower that splattered the ground in the semi-circular area of his effect.

Ceallachan cocked an eyebrow at Ashtallion and shrugged. "It will work," he whispered, then signalled his soldiers forward. Indicating for the sorcerer to follow, the lieutenant joined his men in the pocket of cleared air and advanced deeper into the grounds of the Temple.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”