Pax: Seeking Employment (Chyril 26th, TT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Weyl`n
Civus

Pax: Seeking Employment (Chyril 26th, TT)

Post by Weyl`n »

Merchants Hall

In the middle of the Main Street (Pax) is a large wooden building erected by the leading merchants of Pax to be the location for their council meetings. Although primarily wooden, the building is better constructed than most buildings in Pax, benefiting from the services provided by the local tradesmen who sit on the council. Inside, the building is little more than functional, consisting of the Office of the leader of the Council,a large hall where the meetings take place and two small side offices. In the larger of the two offices is the clerk to the council, whilst the other contains the clerk's assistant, who also acts as caretaker and odd-job man. New arrivals should report to the assistant's office. Knocking on the door, they will be greeted by the sight of a smiling, well-built young human. "How may I help you?"

----------

Despite the strange events of the past few days, Weyl`n was determined to keep to his original plans; setting up shop. Eventually. For now he suspected an apprenticeship was the most he could look forward to, but nevertheless it was a big step in the right direction. If anything, recent dealings with magic and related mischief had made him look forward to more ordinary things, such as the heft of a hammer and the sweet ringing it made when striking metal.

Carried by such pleasant thoughts the young dwarf's feet had taken him to the Merchants' Hall, with hopes of finding help in his quest for Perfectly Normal Everyday Things That Had Absolutely Nothing To Do With Mages. Stepping inside the wooden building - impressive as it was in comparison to many others in this town - Weyl`n took a moment to both admire the workmanship as well as gather his thoughts.

(OOC: this thread takes place on the 26th with Guido's approval)
Last edited by Weyl`n on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Character portrait by yours truly. An uncropped version can be seen here:
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=14408
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Weyln’s perusal of the building confirmed his first impression that it was a building of high quality, presumably reflecting the skill of the Council leader, Mattheus Klebb, a renowned builder and carpenter. It was only a few flickers after the dwarf had entered the hall that he was greeted by a tall, young human dressed in a smart dark jerkin, white shirt and black leggings.

“Good tradetide. How may I help you?”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Stepping back from the wall he had been admiring, Weyl`n turned to the young man and wasted no time offering his hand in greeting. "Ye can assure me this building be but one o' great things built by town's craftsmen. Testament to their skills." A wide smile followed the well-meaning if clumsy comment. No doubt the man was equally aware of many of the town's buildings looking like they had been put together overnight. And they probably had been.

"Name be Weyl`n. Smithing be me trade." he added, touching his chest with his free hand. "Be new to town but no stranger to work. Perhaps ye can 'elp put me 'ands to good use?"
Guido Cercatoro

“It is indeed, a fine building,” beamed the smartly dressed man. “Our council leader, Mattheus Klebb was kind enough to design and arrange for the building of the Hall. He is a fine craftsman. I am his assistant Leonard Markin.”

“As for smithing, well you may be in luck. Oswald Hammer is the foremost smith in town. Until recently he was helped by his brother, Dartimos. However, his brother appears to have taken off into the Border estates. I suspect that Oswald is looking for some assistance. “ Markin quickly outlined directions to the smithy.

“Is there anything more I can do for you?”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

"Can tell master Klebb knows thin' or two about carpentry!" Weyl`n commented on the short version of the Hall's history. Despite claiming to be a smith-in-the-making, he clearly had an appreciation for other handcrafts as well.

As the discussion turned to smithing and directions, the dwarf glanced towards the door trying to visualize which way he needed to go once outside. Despite the town's relatively small size, he was still very much a newcomer and had to pay close attention to such instructions. Feeling secure enough in his understanding of Markin's proposed path he decided not to press for a re-run afterwards, but turned his attention back to the man fully instead.

"Directions are much appreciated mister Markin. Should know me way ta master 'ammer's smithy now." he said with a nod, then smiled widely and added. "Apt name fer smith me thinks. Smithin' must run in 'is family."

Thinking on the assistant's offer for a moment, nothing pertinent occurred to the dwarf. "Ye 'ave been very 'elpful mister Markin. Do not think thar be anythin' else fer now. Unless ye can tell 'ow ta get on master 'ammer's good side tha' is!" Despite delivering the comment with a wink and a chuckle, there was something in Weyl`n's eyes, a certain attentiveness perhaps, that suggested the dwarf was hoping to catch something - anything - to help him secure an apprenticeship with the smith.
Guido Cercatoro

Markin was thoughtful for a few flickers and then chose his words carefully. “Oswald Hammer is a good and honest fellow but a little dour in disposition. He has a sense of humour but it is somewhat buried at times and so he can appear surly. However, he appreciates those willing to work hard.”

“Two more things might be worth knowing. First, he is worried over the continued absence of his brother who departed for Hulmnoy some time ago and never appears to have returned. There are reports that Lord Magnifius of Hulmnoy is ill but I know none of the details. And second, Oswald’s young daughter, Felicte, has apparently attracted the attention of an undesirable suitor much to Oswald and his wife’s dismay.”

“That is all I can tell you. If there is nothing more, I must get on with my work.” The helpful assistant raised a questioning eyebrow at his visitor.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Weyl`n gave an assured nod at the mention of 'hard work', having expected as much. A second, more deliberate nod, accompanied by a concerned look on the dwarf's face, followed Markin's mention of things troubling Oswald as of late. It was most unfortunate news and Weyl`n probably would've had a thing or two to say on those issues, but fortunately the assistant's body language was sufficiently obvious even for him.

"Believe I 'ave taken enough of yer time already mister Markin. Yer good advice is much appreciated! Let us 'ope master Hammer is in good spirits today an' willin' ta entertain 'opeful new apprentice." Offering his hand once again to the young man, he added. "An' pleasant day to ye as well."

As soon as the handshake was over and the assistant on his way back to his duties, Weyl`n turned to pat the wall near him in silent admiration. He stood there for a few flickers, feeling the wood's texture under his bare hand, before turning around to head out and locate Hammer's smithy.
Guido Cercatoro

Oswald Hammer’s smithy in Pax is located in a large stone building that is entered by a huge set of double doors which typically stand open during the day. Inside, the building contains all the normal features of a smithy. To one side of the building stands the forge used for heating metals topped by a smokestack to funnel the smoke away. Close by are a number of anvils where Oswald and his apprentice work. Hanging from the walls are the tools of the blacksmith’s trade – hammers, tongs and other implements. The room also contains two large water barrels, a bench and a door into a side office where Hammer discusses business with his customers. Hammer is well-known for his ability to craft weapons but will lend his hand to most things..... for a price.

As Weyl’n approached the smithy he caught sight of a stocky, muscular man with short dark hair and a slightly swarthy appearance. He was wielding a large hammer which he was using to flatten a piece of metal that he was holding on an anvil with a pair of tongs. He was engrossed in his work and did not look up as the dwarf arrived.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Weyl`n had stood outside the structure for a while before entering, taking a moment to inspect what he hoped to soon call his second home. That, and to take a moment to gather himself for that ever important first impression, of course. Even after stepping inside he had paused for a few flickers to get a good look at the building's interior. It appeared much as he had expected, but then there wasn't much that set one smithy apart from the other as far as decor went.

No, it was the smith himself that made a workshop stand out and it appeared the owner and operator of this particular forge was busy doing just that. Or so the dwarf hoped, anyway; seeing no one else around he had to assume this mountain of a man to be none other than Oswald Hammer. Putting on his patent smile, Weyl`n stepped forward to announce his arrival with a friendly wave of a hand.

"Greetings! Be lookin' fer master Hammer. Owner of this 'ere fine smithy?"
Guido Cercatoro

For a good half a burn, the smith ignored the new arrival’s call. However, having finished his hammering to his satisfaction, the muscular man glanced towards the dwarf before turning and dousing the metal in water. Setting the cooled metal down, he grabbed a cloth, using it to mop his brow and wipe his hands.

“I’m Hammer,” he said gruffly. “What do you want?” Oswald Hammer was clearly a man of few words.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

And someone had conveniently forgotten to mention this to Weyl`n.

At first the dwarf had been unsure if his voice had carried over the hammer's song; then, as he was finally given what passed for a greeting, the would-be-apprentice was somewhat taken back by its tone and hesitated while trying to figure out how to reply.

"Uhmm.... very good ta meet ye master 'ammer. Apologies fer disrupting yer work..." he started, leaning slightly sideways in an attempt to figure out what it was the smith had been working on. He might yet need to flash his knowledge of such things if he was to impress this mountain-of-a-mountain-man.

"...but ahhh... secretary at Merchants' 'all suggested come talk ta ye about work." The dwarf took another short pause before realizing that a little bit more information than that might be required. "As smith that is. Or apprentice more like it. 'ere. In yer fine smithy master 'ammer." The dwarf was slowly, if painfully so, getting his confidence back after the less than hospitable start. He was reminded of mister Markin's words, about Oswald's recent problems. The smith had plenty reason to be gruff, but it was not something to be taken personally. He hoped.

"Mister Markin suggested ye might 'ave need fer a second pair o' sturdy 'ands. Someone not affraid o' 'ard work."
Guido Cercatoro

Hammer appeared to have been working on a blade of some sort, perhaps for a scythe or other farming implement, it was difficult to tell without close inspection.

“Markin is correct. I have need of an assistant. But I am particular who I take on. This place has a reputation for fine work.” The smith still spoke in his gruff manner but the dwarf’s words had clearly interested him.

“Tell me of your background and your desire for this type of work. Do you have experience or are you a novice? Do you have the determination to stick at an apprenticeship?
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Weyl`n nodded appreciatively at the smith's remark on reputation, knowing full well the expectations any fine smith would have for their apprentice. As much as it worried the dwarf that he might not have what it took to fill the position, knowing Hammer held a high standard spoke volumes of his establishment. It was definitely a good sign.

With a wide smile the dwarf stroked the short braids of his beard. "Some would argue tha' it run in me veins master 'ammer. The call tha' is. Bein' a dwarf an' all." And in Weyl`n's case this was very true. "Most o' me family 'ave somethin' ta do with smithin'. In fact tha' be reason why ye find me at yer door." he added, indicating the exit with his hand.

"Back 'ome in Kaza Rhun was always in me older brothers' shadow. Very 'ard ta make a name fer meself there. An' other things... but thems not important." The dwarf waved his hand dismissively to pass on that particular topic. "'ave much ta prove ta meself an' me family. More importantly 'owever 'ave great deal o' appreciation fer craft. Great deal o' observation but not so much actual smithin' experience am affraid."

Tapping his fingertips together in thought, the dwarf paused momentarely how to best put his lack of actual smithing experience. "Did apprentice work at me clan smithy so know well 'ow demandin' it be. As long as ye be fair ye dun' need ta worry about me dedication."
Guido Cercatoro

Hammer kept his eyes fixed on Weyl’n as the dwarf made his reply. He nodded slowly when the would-be apprentice finished speaking. It appeared that the dwarf had hit the right tone in what he had said, for the smith spoke in a friendly manner.

“Dedication and a willingness to work hard are more important than experience so far as I am concerned. So, I will give you a trial. But I warn you that I will use you mainly for labouring and routine tasks until I judge you right for learning the trade. That is the lot of all apprentices as you probably know.”

“Are we agreed?” The dour smith extended a grimy hand to the dwarf. “If so, you may start in the morning’tide. Report here at first light.”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

A smile appeared on Weyl`n's lips as Hammer offered the young dwarf a trial, but in a valiant effort to maintain his poise he quickly forced a somewhat more serious expression on his face. Or tried to, anyway. He couldn't help feeling relieved and overjoyed at this opportunity, even if it involved no actual smithing for the foreseeable future. After all he had gone through to get here, the trip had not been for nothing; that alone made the dwarf feel like he could endure a great deal more in order to make the most out of this offer.

Shaking the grimy hand firmly and without a second thought, Weyl`n spoke up with a steady voice despite the giddyness he felt inside. "Am indeed familiar with me part in this arrangement master 'ammer. We are agreed. Ye 'ave yerself new apprentice."
Guido Cercatoro

“That’s settled then,” said Hammer. With a vice-like grip, the smith shook the dwarf’s hand slowly and deliberately. “I like to start early. Be here tomorrow the first mark after dawn.”

Hammer moved away and then turned back on the balls of his feet. “If you have nowhere to stay, I have a room that is vacant.”
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

"First mark after dawn. Aye." interjected the dwarf with a determined nod of his head, before Oswald continued. The dwarf was pleasantly surprised to be offered a room by someone who had just met him.

"Very generous of ye master 'ammer. Offer be much appreciated. Do 'ave roof over me 'ead fer now but still gettin' settled. They say previous owner did not like it 'ere. Somethin' ta do with them wolves?" he paused for a moment to think about his earlier conversation with the Provost and see how Oswald would react to the mention of the nightly visitors. No doubt they were no news to the smith, but part of Weyl`n was hoping the very mention of them might make the smith share his thoughts on the matter...

"Should me situation change will gladly take ye up on yer offer."
Guido Cercatoro

At the mention of wolves, Hammer looked troubled. “Aye, the rumours of wolves have made many here anxious. The strange thing is that they only appear to attack guards and I have never heard of wild wolves so selective in their targets. And how do they get into the town given our fine walls? Maybe it is something else entirely. Something that attacks the guards under the pretence of wolves. Or, something even more sinister.”

The dour smith shook his head. “I must return to my work. I will see you tomorrow morningtide. Don’t be late.” With a dismissive nod, the smith returned to his work.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Weyl`n frowned ever so slightly as Oswald shared his thoughts on the puzzling visitors, but said nothing. He did not yet have an opinion on the matter, being so new to town, and in any case it was obvious this was not the time to discuss such things in further detail.

With an understanding nod of his own, the young dwarf let the matter slip. "Of course." he noted, realizing he had held Hammer away from his work long enough. "Will not be late master 'ammer. Will make sure of tha'. Good day ta ye." And with that, he turned and walked out with a smile on his face. It wasn't until he was outside and beyond the smith's eyes that he took a few flighty steps, overjoyed by the fact that he was now an apprentice.

There was still plenty to do before Weyl`n could consider himself fully settled in however, and he fully intended to get as much of that done as possible before tomorrow. To that end and with his spirits high, the dwarf headed back towards his shack...
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: is this finished now or do you want to take a look at your shack?)
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: fin and locked for skilling)
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

skilled, summarised, archived
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”