Pax: Truth and Secrets - Chy 27th, MT (Elaine, Kae, Cragh)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Pax: Truth and Secrets - Chy 27th, MT (Elaine, Kae, Cragh)

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

Kaelara's fingers clenched about the small, leather bound book she clasped to her side as she led her new acquaintances the few blocks down the street. As they walked, her demeanor quietened, stilled, as she suppressed the doubts and fears of what she was walking into. If Craghley did not offer his assistance, Kaelara lent the blind woman her own arm.

How much do I reveal? Her pace slowed a trifle, voice steady but quiet enough it would not be easily overheard.

"Some find Seth a little different, but I have known him many months now, and have found him to have a gentle... soul." The word stirred a bit of distress in her depths, but she had already begun striving to drive those drifting, errant thoughts from the forefront of her mind. Seth's penchant for picking such things as if she'd spoken them aloud had given her plenty of practice for burying them. "I would prefer to allow you to form your own opinions... but I would caution you he's an observant fellow, you might be surprised at his skill for interpreting the simplest look and understanding what one thinks." The light comment set her mind somewhat at ease, for though a half-truth, perhaps it would ease them into an understanding without the shock of the experience she had undergone.

"There, you can see it just up ahead..." her wheaten head dipped towards one of, if not the most distinctive building in Pax. "Annuir."

The Annuir "tavern" sits near the south gatehouse of Pax, squatting in the shadow of the great curve of the wall. The building is somehow a little more crooked than the ones surrounding it - as if it were leaning back against the wall for a well-earned rest. The inn was recently formed by connecting together two houses. Although ostensibly an inn, few visitors can be seen entering or leaving the tavern.

Seth could nearly always be found perched comfortably upon his porch, but they were not quite close enough to see.

"Seth has been an invaluable resource, his knowledge of history and an extensive library have given us many a good conversation."
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Perhaps Kaelara had not meant it that way, but her warning sent a jolt through Elaine's system. All too well did she remember the violation of her mind by the blackness that had haunted the Citadel. In a reflex the young Achadhiel sought refuge in her self-created shields of roots and branches, calming her breathing before they entered the building.

Kaelara might notice the little suqeeze on her arm, yet otherwise Elaine continued her step.

"I trust your instincts, lady." She mumbled. "I just hope he will not find us too intrusive. But who knows, he might even know the girl Blackbird...it certainly would make things a lot easier."

Carefully she continued, keeping part of her concentration on the inner workings of her mind.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"Maybe he can also tell us of Laewin and Falven. And many other things we donnae ken. But whatever he wishes tae speak of will be a help, Ay'm sure." Craghley looked to Elaine, then Kaelara. "Ay'll not press the issue wi' him, if he resents our... intrusion."

Squinting against the light and distance to Annuir, Craghley did his best to make out the individual feaures of and about the strange building. What the blazes was up with this town?
People and buildings materialising overnight... rematerialising? Elaine had said of some of the citizens, 'people who might have been here in the past but certainly should not be here anymore'.

He asked of Kaelara as they walked,

"Would master Seth be someone who's been here for... considerably longer than a few months?"
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

As the singer, shopkeeper and clansman approached Annuir they would hear the sound of singing coming from the verandah of the unusual building. The melody was strange: lilting, yet ethereal, as if it did not belong, as if it should be elsewhere.

And yet it was a beautiful melody…… one to match any that Elaine had ever heard. She felt both uplifted and saddened by the sound….it tugged at Kaelara’s senses for it spoke to her instantly of Seth; his pale skin, his blonde hair and his sad, mournful countenance…. for Craghley, it brought a sense of wonder as he felt the pull of the tune as it wound its way into his mind.

The words were strange, unintelligible; echoes of adhiel swam and mixed with words that sounded common. The meaning was almost apparent but elusive, toying with the ears of those who listened, defying them to understand.

Rocking in a chair on the verandah was a thin, blonde man smoking a pipe. He was missing his right leg from just above the knee, the leg of his trousers tied short and pinned with a small, unimpressive brass pin. His eyes were closed and he was oblivious of those who approached. His voice soared as he appeared to reach the climax of the song.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc
Continuing as per agreement with Guido and Craghley

ic
Craghley's question was a good one and frankly, in Elaine's mind there was no doubt after Kaelara's insistance to go see this man, he'd prove to be interesting at the least.

The song breathed a dream to the blind bard, one of old memories and new hope. It was not the contents that made it so unique, for many a writer had aspired to such emotions in the past. It was the delivery that made it stand out, as if the song itself was no more than a fleeting memory.

Elaine bit her lip. Somewhere inside a little voice craved to hold on to this fragile story, to make it last. Yet at the same time they were here for other reasons than exchanging melodies.

Well...how different can it truly be?
She pondered. How else can information be exchanged in such an effective way. Good Mother, he is an artist...

Listening for the pattern, the Achadhiel hummed softly, as not to disturb the singer. There was no way she could get her head around the words, but it was impossible to stay quiet too, so maybe she could tap into the melody, hum along the lines and Hear what he was singing.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Elaine's silence seemed a subtle suggestion for Craghley to hold quiet, so as not to disturb the gifted singr. Not that he would have wanted to in any case. Seth, for this is whom Craghley assumed the man to be, was giving his audience a song unlike anything Craghley had yet heard. The alien nature only served to snare the lad's focus and make him quite forget any notions of conversation.

He took no heed of Elaine or Kaelara but trudged up a little way from the verandah and stood, not waiting, but listening until it finished.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: still no word form K, so fading her out here :( )

He asked of Kaelara as they walked,

"Would master Seth be someone who's been here for... considerably longer than a few months?"

The adhiel sighed and shrugged her shoulders. “Seth has been …here…for a long time. As to his true nature...” She was about to continue when her answer was interrupted by the sound of running feet. The feet belonged to the shopkeeper’s assistant who arrived red-faced and sweating. He drew to a halt and whispered a few words in the adhiel’s ears. The colour drained from her face but she nodded before turning to her companions. “I have some urgent business to attend to. I will try to join you later. Tell Seth that I have sent you to him; and, please, be kind to him.” Allowing no time for any response, the adhiel gathered up her skirts and ran in the direction of her shop, closely attended by her assistant.

Seth’s song continued. Neither Elaine nor Craghley could understand any of the words. And yet, as the blind singer focused on the melody, a fleeting glimpse of the underlying nature of the song filtered through to her senses. The song spoke of:

Wonder …Beauty ….and most of all …Loss…an anguished lament for the loss of Wonder and Beauty

The song mourned, something past, something long gone, something yearned for….

As Elaine and Craghley approached the verandah, the unearthly song reached a soaring and poignant climax. Seth went silent. Then, one eye popped open:

“Visitors. Come to ask me questions, no doubt. Take a seat an’ introduce yerselves.”
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine stood in doubt for a moment, caught between the hypnotic song and Kaelara's sudden urgency. The blind woman wondered if she should go with the shopkeeper, for whatever it was that had been whispered in her ear, it had clearly rattled her.

Yet the longing song ended and words were spoken that made it quite hard to follow up on her heart's reaction. After all was said and done, her first allegiance had to be to the city, as she had promised.

"Be well, Kaelara. And ask us when you need help!" She hoped the lovely woman had heard her words before leaving the scene altogether.

The achadhiel heaved a sigh. It was so...unfulfilling to have the song end here. It needed resolution and yet perhaps it's beauty was in the very contemplation of what had been and what might be again.

A voice sounded. Elaine blinked her eyes and put up her smile. "A good day to you, kind sir. I fear that the one guiding us here had to return to her shop immediately. The lady Kaelara...I believe you are well acquainted? As for myself, I am named Elaine B...Synkaaros." A little twinge in her heart made the corners of her mouth go up in all earnest. There was a strange magic in taking her man's name.

She carefully tapped forward, but not too fast so Craghley had his chance for introductions. It would not do to take a seat without all names having been exchanged.

"As for questions, if you are weary of them, please speak." Elaine could not help but add. "I can well imagine one might tire of it, especially since appearantly no one comes here but to ask you something?" It was a bit of a gamble, but either Seth was reading their intentions or he had been swamped with visitors that wanted their questions answered. Either way it was not so bad to check.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley tracked Kaelara's rapid progress with mild befuddlement. Sich a strange wuiman, he reckoned, though soon enough his attention had returned to Seth's music.

When it ended the thoughts it had evoked were still going through his mind. As such, when Craghley walked leisurely forward under the verandah behind Elaine, his mind was a little elsewhere.

'Craghley Donovan,' he introduced himself after Elaine (still a little absent-minded, the subtleties of her own introduction went over his head). 'Glad tae meet ye.'

With those words he waited for Elaine to take a seat, before thought over the matter caused a slight panic to set in since she might need help finding one. Tentatively he checked where the closest chair was or if he could bring one over, waiting for Elaine to finish speaking before adding to her,

'Dae ye... ah, want a hand, ma'am?'
Last edited by Craghley on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Seth looked a little crestfallen when Elaine mentioned that the shopkeeper had returned to her business. “Aaah, ‘tis a pity she is not here, she brightens up my day. Still, I daresay yer might do the same, for yer a very beautiful lady…I recall…” The one-legged man paused for a flicker, a wistful look passing over his face before he turned to Craghley.

“And, I’m please to meet yer, Craghley Donovan.” The thin man took a puff on his pipe, regarding the new arrival intently for a few moments before nodding to himself.

"As for questions, if you are weary of them, please speak." Elaine could not help but add. "I can well imagine one might tire of it, especially since apparantly no one comes here but to ask you something?"

Laughter lines ran over Seth’s face as he took in the achadhiel’s remark. “Very perceptive, yer are, m’lady. It depends on the questions: some are tiresome, some pleasurable and some perplexing fer me.”

“Now both of yer take a seat. Can I get yer some refreshments?”

As he spoke, Kaelara’s assistant arrived with the leather-bound bird book under his arm. He placed it on the table on the verandah. "My mistress forgot to leave this. She thought you might need it.” Without further comment, he ran off.

“Oh,” said Seth quietly. “That book. Is that why you have come?”
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine tapped her way up to the songmaker and nodded at Craghley. "If you could direct me to a chair?" She asked him softly, following his lead.

Kaelara's description of Seth went through her mind. Craghley seemed to suggest already that this man too belonged with the past. Yet did every memory realize it? Did they know at all?

With the suggested clarity of mind this man had when it came to reading people, there really was only one way to go. The book would undoubtedly be a big help, but would Seth help them if he did not know the reason for searching out this tome?

Once safely seated, the girl frowned. "The book...To be completely frank with you, good sir, my main reason for coming to you with this book is that I have been asked by a little girl to help her father and this city. The city of Selderine..."

She raised her face to meet Seth's, even if she would not see his looks. "And it's memories."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: as already discussed with Elaine, I think the time has come to move to a summary here, so you can both move on past the recess. One final summary post each, please, listing any questions you want to ask Seth and then I’ll reply with a summary post.)

Once Elaine was safely seated, the one-legged man placed one hand on the leather cover of the book, stroking it with his fingers as if he were tending to some pet animal. Elaine could hear a slight, pleasant squeaking sound as Seth stroked the cover.

“Little girl…Selderine…mem’ries,” he murmured quietly to himself, keeping his eyes fixed on the book. The tone of his voice was almost dream-like in its quality, as if the speaker was in some sort of trance.

After a few flickers, Seth withdrew his hand from the cover and gazed at his two guests directly

“Selderine was the beginning, or the end depending on how yer look at it,” he began, cryptically. “And now it remembers…the walls ….the runes….the failure…the deaths…and it feels the pain…the loss…” The pale-faced man’s words came to a halt but then he continued, his tone now changed into one that was more assertive, yet slightly manic, in nature:

“I am One and I am Many. I am the Land, I am the Spirit of the People, I am suffering and I am Hope. To know this memory is to know the Pain that was inflicted.”

Seth remained silent for a short time, his breathing almost too shallow to hear. Then, he spoke brightly.

“The sky were full of there singin’. Sweet singin’. Circled round one of the stones they did, them birds, in a perfect circle.”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

(OOC: good idea)

Craghley guided Elaine to the seat nearest to Seth, pulling up one for himself afterwards. He was happy enough to let Elaine do the talking since she knew the questions to ask. Seth seemed especially responsive to the book she had been given by Kaelara (or her assistant) and he did not wish to interrupt the man any. That became doubly so once Seth changed in his delivery. Though much of it was cryptic Craghley did his best to remember the words that Seth spoke for future use - when he could understand what they meant. When he did speak he asked little questions, such as "What kind of birds?" after the strange man's reference to the birds which sang and flew around in a perfect circle. Craghley's aim was not to derail him, but let Seth follow his (for want of a better word) mesmerised state.

Once the meeting had been concluded Craghley offered to accompany Elaine until they had reached her next destination, whereupon, unless she required further assistance, he would depart back to the camp of the Emerald Guard.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine sat up straight, shocked by the sudden change in voice. Yet it touched Blackbird's story in such a way that there was little choice but to respond.

"To know it's memories is to know the pain. Share this pain so it can be healed. Share this pain so w...I might understand."

Almost.
Almost she had made a big mistake in adding 'we' to the sentence.

There was no telling who was speaking or what the response would be, other than the blind singer having a fair idea this was the Father Blackbird had spoken of or the city itself. She still was not sure how much of Blackbird's father was in Selderine or in the lands.

"The blackbirds repeat the songs they have been heard." She continued, feeling cruel for disturbing this man, for disturbing the echoes. Yet something had to be done. To be stuck on the wheel was torture. The Song needed to be sung, the wheel to turn, life to move on.

"Hence they will never be forgotten, no matter what happens. For the Mother will teach her young. She will sing and they will repeat until they are ready to teach it to their own." It was meant to be a comfort in some way. To be forgotten was just wrong.

"If they circled around the stones, perhaps the stones were the heart. They were drawn to the stones. We can make that happen again. And once the sky sings again, the choice can be made to stay or go. A real choice.
Not the ones forced upon you.
You deserve the Song, for you have stood to protect your own for so long. The failure..."

Elaine hesitated. She did not have the full story, but it was becoming awkwardly clear very fast. "The failure is no excuse to torment yourself. Let me share with you. Let me share my Songs with you. Let us heal what was broken so long ago."

There were no real questions in her monologue, merely a continuation on Seth's words. Things were being set in motion and the blind bard needed to know what she could do in the physical world to help the echoes along. Whatever Seth's response, the young Achadhiel would try to find out more about the stones and their significance to the old city of Selderine.

She would try to find out if these were like the old stones from the stories, which were raised to channel the power of the land, rather than keep it locked up as seemed to be the case in this city.

The book itself had been deemed important enough by both Kaelara and Seth, but to Elaine it meant nothing unless she could understand what was in there. If there was any opening in the strange ethereal conversation, she would turn to the book to try and find the other missing pieces.

And above all, the woman had given the city a promise, as well as offered her hand. If there was going to be a sharing, Elaine braced herself for what was to come. Yet she would not refuse it. Blackbird asked her for help, she had agreed. More was at stake here than her peace of mind. With two people already speaking of a blind singer in some kind of prophecy, Elaine could only hope that for once she could make a difference; for once her Song would be on time to heal the wounds; for once perhaps there would be the promise of life, rather than the ending of it.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Guido Cercatoro

“The pain cannot be shared,” Seth shouted loudly and plaintively, his voice once again becoming more assertive, almost aggressive. “I bear the burden, the pain and the torment. I was the land, I am the land and I will be the land. The builder must build; the healer must heal and the singer must sing.” The voice rose to a crescendo. Both Craghley and Elaine felt their eardrums assailed by the vehemence of the words. Yet, there was nothing evil within the words; merely anguish, determination and perhaps a trace of something almost akin to insanity….

Craghley saw Seth shudder a little and then turn his attention to the small leather bound book of the birds. The one-legged man flipped it open at a page on which the clansman saw depicted an exquisite painting of a number of small, white birds circling a stone. The painter of the scene must have been a master for the whole scene appeared in motion – the birds were circling the stone and the stone appeared to be moving into the ground. The stone was marked with what may have been letters or symbols but the details were vague as if the painter had merely drawn an impression of the stone rather than the precise details.

As she heard the rustle of the pages of the book, Elaine could dimly sense muffled notes and words, as if some long-forgotten song was trying to escape from the tome. Yet it was gone almost as soon as she had sensed it.

“Ain’t blackbirds,” Seth laughed in a pleasant light-toned voice, a chasm away from the timbre his voice had betrayed when he had talked of pain. “Don’t rightly know what they are – more like doves, I suppose. Came from the land and the forest to lend their songs to the stones, add their strength. Fellah that wrote this ‘ere book claimed he understood the words. I guess you’ll be wanting it now; perhaps you can find the birdsong. That’s what’s important after all, the song not the birds themselves.” Seth closed the book, lifted it up and deposited it gently on the singer’s lap.

“Now, I’m afraid, I’m tired. I need to rest.” The pale-faced man slumped back in his chair, his eyes closing. Then, one eye briefly opened to glare at Craghley. “Yer bear the touch of something I ain’t felt in a long time; I can only vaguely recall ‘er; don’t give ‘er your name or she’ll take yer soul.” With that cryptic warning, Seth fell soundly asleep.

(OOC: finished here now :wink: )
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and summarised by Petros as part of the Modding Seminar. :)

Elaine
Creating Poetry + *
Knowledge (Selderine) +*

Craghley
Knowledge (Selderine) +*
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”