Forest Gate (jy, 30, mt)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

Forest Gate (jy, 30, mt)

Post by Ayolin Metalhand »

The main gate to Pax is known as the Forest Gate. It is usually manned by two bored looking guards of the Pax Honestus, the legion formed to keep order in the new outpost. Apart from the usual farm traffic that comes to and fro on a regular basis, most new arrivals come through the portal and the gate guards have little to do save stare into the nearby forest. Paths from the gate lead down into the forest and the River Clearwater.

The most notable thing apparent to new arrivals is not the gate or guards but rather the long, high, elegant walls of the town. The Wall (Pax) has an air of balance and grace to it, despite the fact that it also looked sturdy enough to withstand whole armies - and its design was somehow foreign to the eyes - unlike everything else in Pax, which was simple and functional and the very opposite of beautiful, the wall was built to some completely different standard. As if it had been plucked from elsewhere, from another city, and simply plonked here without thought. Or as if it had always been here, in spirit.

The dapper looking Sergeant Caverton often tends the gate. He is assisted by Private Jarren Youngblood

After a long journey, Ayolin catches his first glimpse of the walls of Pax Balthasar. All dirty and smelling terribly like the fish he caught a few days ago (it's head accidentally ended up in his backpack where it was left to rot for a few days) Ayolin is looking up to the walls in awe. He sighs to himself in relief. "I am glad I travelled on last night, I'm so weary and hungry, but at least I have reached my destination."

Looking up to the gate Ayolin sees two men standing at the gate. One is an experienced looking soldier who looks to be totally at ease, the other younger man is looking rather twitchy. "I don't like the look of that man. I don't know these people, but I do know I don't trust that youngster one bit."

Driven mainly by his stomach rather than his wits, Ayolin starts to approach the gate. The closer he gets to the two men the more insecure the dwarf is feeling. Trying not to show his insecurity too much, Ayolin walks straight to the older man. From the corner of his eye he is constantly checking the hand of the young guard which is hovering nervously over the handle of his sword. Being suspicious of unfamiliar people Ayolin rests his hand on his axe.

Making himself as big as possible the dwarf tucks in his stomach and puts out his chest. "Zahlen" Ayolin says, looking up to the guard. To his regret he's sounding more shy as he intended to. To make things worse his stomach makes a loud roaring noise, which can probably be heard all over Pax Balthasar.
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

At the dwarf's approach, the younger soldier's knuckles immediately tightened around his sword hilt. "Here's another one Sarge. Got an axe. Reckon he's trouble?" he muttered to his superior officer.

"Easy, Youngblood," the older one murmured back. "Let's see what he has to say for himself first. Sir Dwarf!" he called out in a louder voice to Ayolin, before being interrupted by the sound of the dwarf's growling stomach. His jet-black moustache twitched as a wry smile spread out beneath it. "Ah. You can put away that axe, sir dwarf, there'll be no need to hunt down your breakfast here. Just state for the record your name, occupation, religion and reason for visiting Pax, and we'll not stand between you an the nearest inn."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

"Sorry 'bout that" Ayolin mutters as he takes his hand of his axe. "My stomach is a little upset, I haven't had a decent meal in days." Ayolin relaxes a little, comforted by the words and straightforwardness of the older man.

"Now lets see, my name 'ey? Ahhwell, I suppose it wouldn't hurt telling you my name. It's Ayolin Metalhand" he says proudly. "As to your other questions, let me start to say that my business is my own, but I could use your advise on a good inn around here."

"Religion is not of any interest to me at the moment, but I'm trying not to anger any of the gods, so don't worry 'bout me bringing their wrath to your city."

"I'm between jobs at the moment. But if you must know, I have been employed as a miner for the last years. But mining is something I'm not planning to do anytime in the near future. I might pop in at the smithy's though."

"Now, will this be all or would your young friend here like to check my knickers as well?" Ayolin asks as he looks taunting at the youngster.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Caverton's jaw tightened. Disrespect towards himself and his men, he could occasionally tolerate. A gate guard would never get anything done if he took offence to every petty insult directed his way. But disrespect for the law? No, it could not be borne... Meanwhile, Youngblood's face began turning bright red. "I- you-" he sputtered before the older guard cut in.

"What private Youngblood means to say, is that under the usual circumstances he would not," he snapped. "But I asked you your business here Mr Metalhand. And you have not been forthright with us Mr Metalhand. So yes, we will now be obliged to search your person for any objects of suspicion."

"You'll drop your axe to the ground," he ordered firmly, as both guards drew their blades. With their greater height and longer reach it was doubtful whether Ayolin would even be able to take out one in the time it took the other to cut him down. "And kindly remove your trousers, before we are forced to remove them for you."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

"I will do no such thi.........!"

Ayolin quickly swallowed his words as he saw the two guards draw their swords. His mind was working overtime as he was thinking about a way out of this predicament.

I could throw my axe at the older guy and my backpack at private Youngblood, I might get lucky. At least it'll distract them for a while so I can make for the woods. I'll probably get halfway there, before they catch up with me......

Ayolin dropt his axe........

"You don't understand........" Ayolin started, but seeing the resolution on the officers face made him clear that there would be no arguing.
Why didn't he tell these men about his father, how he wanted to find him. And why didn't he say he was eager to learn how to become a master weaponsmith. It didn't really matter now, all he could do was let things happen.

Ayolin took off his clothes.........

Standing there in centre of the road wearing nothing but his white hearts-covered undies Ayolin looked up at the big guards with big, slightly watery eyes........

"Please no cavity search....."
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The younger guard looked shocked as he was faced with the sight of the dwarf’s underwear. Indeed, the poor young soldier could do no more than stand there with his mouth wide-open, sword still brandished in his hand.

The older guard grinned and lowered his weapon. “Well that is a most interesting sight. I am tempted to confiscate your undergarments as they clearly offend Youngblood’s sensibilities.” He glanced at his companion who still hadn’t moved a muscle. “However, I fear that the resulting sight may be more than he can bear. Now, please raise your trousers.”

“I hope that this has been a lesson to you friend,” continued the guard in a more serious tone. “Obey the guards and you will have no problem here. Disobey and… well, let us say that you will learn a harder lesson.”
“If you need somewhere to stay, try the Gate tavern. You should also register at the Provost office if you want your free parcel of land. If you are interested in smithing, try Hammer’s smithy; he is the foremost smith in town. Now, if there is nothing more, you may pass.”

(OOC; welcome to Pax, sorry for any delay but I have just returned from my holidays. Please PM me if you have any questions. Unless you want to ask the guard’s more questions, or disobey them further :lol: , you may now enter Pax.)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for archiving and skilling
Guido Cercatoro

Archived

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”