Pax: Returning to Ressatrix (30 Jygust, MT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Weyl`n
Civus

Pax: Returning to Ressatrix (30 Jygust, MT)

Post by Weyl`n »

The Historian’s Home

The home of the historian, Ressatrix, is a small building that lays nestled close to the western wall of Pax. It is a strange building, for like many in Pax, it is partly stone and partly wooden in construction. Whilst being primarily rectangular, a tall stone tower twists up from one corner and a lop-sided window bulges from the top of the tower. It is rumoured that the historian has the best collection of books in Pax and has conducted some archaeological digs in nearby areas. The door is usually locked but those who knock will find the door opened by a tall servant: "Can I help you?"

***********************************************************************************

Having accepted an invitation delivered to him by Ressatrix's servant the day before, Weyl´n once again found himself outside the historian's strange abode. An eccentric mix of wood and stone as it was, the young blacksmith was still not sure wether he liked it or not but... there it was, one of a number of curious buildings in Pax. And although Weyl`n was here to discuss a somewhat unappealing topic the dwarf was clearly in good spirits, in no small part thanks to the promising weather. It certainly bode well for the coming festivities.

With a steady rap on the door Weyl`n announced his arrival and was soon greeted by the historian's aide. "Fine mornin' tide ta ye, Saldor!" he greeted the servant, offering a friendly smile. While he did not know the man very well, good manners were rarely lost on people regardless of their stature. Granted, his traditional handshake-with-a-new-person had felt ever so slightly awkward the last time around and looking up at the tall man before him, it occurred to Weyl`n a replay of that event might not be necessary.

"I 'ave come ta see Ressatrix as per 'is invitation. Is 'e 'ome right now?"
Character portrait by yours truly. An uncropped version can be seen here:
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=14408
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The door was opened by Ressatrix’s servant, a tall, grey-haired human named Saldor. “My master is expecting you. Please come in.” Saldor opened the door wide to allow Weyl’n to enter. The door led into a spacious hallway. A long grey coat hung from one of several hooks attached to a side wall and on the other side a flight of stone stairs led upwards.

Saldor would lead the dwarf to a door at the end of the hallway. Through the door was a room that appeared to be a study. The walls were lined with shelves that contained a variety of books, manuscripts and scrolls. In the centre of the room stood a large, oak desk strewn with a variety of papers, carvings and other artefacts. Behind the desk was a large chair with arm rests. A stone statue of an unclothed woman with a broken arm stood to one side of the hearth.

“Please take a seat,” said the servant, pointing to a small chair standing in front of the desk. “Would you care for some refreshments. My master will be here presently.” Once he had the dwarf's reply, the servant would leave the room.

If Weyl’n sat on the chair, he would see that a large leather-bound book lay open on the desk. Prominent on the open pages, although upside down from where he sat, was a drawing that clearly represented the hammer he had been given by the little girl. The word Cira had also been inscribed below the drawing.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

"Thank ye fer kind offer, but not be needin' anythin' right now." the dwarf replied with a smile, before being left to his own devices. Though it had seemed like Weyl`n was about to take a seat, as soon as the servant was gone he walked around the table, visually inspecting the various artifacts present in the room. The book received a quick look, opened as it was for all to see, but expecting Ressatrix to shortly explain its contents in more detail the dwarf concentrated mostly on other items.

Though he made sure not to touch anything, Weyl`n was not shy to get as close to the objects as his short frame would allow. The carvings and other similar crafts received the most scrutiny, as they held a special interest to the handcraft-oriented visitor. "Such strange things 'e 'as." the dwarf hummed to himself as he passed a shelf stacked with scrolls and scripts. "Wonder what 'e does with all these?"

Coming to a stop, Weyl`n faced the reservoir of relics, looking it up and down with keen interest. "That is one fine shelf though."
Guido Cercatoro

The room contained a bewildering array of strange objects, scrolls and books. Three items were particularly intriguing. First, perched so close to edge of the wooden desk that it appeared in imminent danger of falling, was a small, exquisitely lacquered wooden box. The box was closed but a key was lodged inside the keyhole. Second, hanging out of a half-opened drawer in the rear of the large desk was the chain of what appeared to be some sort of amulet. The third object, the dwarf found as he moved to inspect the desk for he kicked it across the room. It was a small vial of green liquid that had obviously rolled under the desk before being disturbed by the dwarf. There was no sign of Ressatrix, so Weyl’n might have time to investigate one or more of these objects should he be so inclined.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Though he had initially decided not to touch anything, the lone lacquered box on the table seemed so precariously positioned that the dwarf returned to it from the shelves he had been inspecting. Looking it over a foot or so away, it did indeed appear to be in danger of falling off. Not one to make a habbit out of meddling in the affairs of others however, Weyl`n stepped closer and merely pushed the lacquered box away from the edge of the table with the tip of his finger. Who knows what kind of priceless, fragile artifact was hidden inside and what damage would be done unto it should the box fall.

As he took that step closer to the table, his foot made contact with the lone vial hiding underneath the table. Hearing the tell-tale sound associated with something small and round rolling along the floor and not seeing the vial from where he was standing, he rounded the table and retrieved it a moment later from nearby one of the many shelves in the room. "There ye are..." he said to the small bottle, dusting it off though it did not seem all that dusty. But that's what you do to things you find lying around.

"Whatever yer purpose, it likely doesnae call fer careless storage." he mused as he turned the vial around, trying to catch its contents against a light. That was, in his mind, also the kind of thing you did with these kind of things, though the dwarf was unsure what exactly he would learn by doing so.
Guido Cercatoro

The box responded to the dwarf’s gentle push, for it was clearly very light in weight. As it retreated from its precarious position, Weyl’n heard the faint sound of a musical note emanating from within the box. It was a pleasant, delicate sound that matched the fine nature of the box.

Retrieving the vial and holding up to the light revealed that it contained a pale green liquid. Perhaps it was a preservative of sorts for there was also something else in the vial. It appeared to be a sac of fluid; perhaps part of some animal or other. It looked rather hideous.

The sound of shuffling footsteps came from outside of the room; someone was approaching.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

The sound of footsteps caught Weyl`n's attention, bringing his brief inspection of the vial to an end. Not that another burn or two would have helped him unravel its secrets; this was quite a ways beyond the blacksmith's domain. With no idea where the vial belonged, other than on the floor, the dwarf figured he might as well place it in plain view on Ressatrix's desk. That done, he turned to face the doorway to greet who he expected to be the historian himself.
Guido Cercatoro

Weyl’n scarcely had time to place the vial on the desk before the door flew open and in shambled an elderly, rather dishevelled looking man. He wore a brown robe tied at the waist with a piece of rope; his hair was dark and unkempt with a bald patch in the middle whilst his face was round and puffy. Both hands appeared to be covered with ink smudges and a pair of battered sandals peeped from beneath the robe as he walked. The fellow looked a little like a monk who had been dragged through a hedge backwards.

As he entered the old man was muttering to himself, shaking his head. “Can’t think where I put it…” Then, his eyes alighted on the vial on the desk. He placed both hands on his hips and shook his head before striding to the table to retrieve the vial. “My eyes must be going,” he muttered to himself before turning to Weyl’n.

“This is the poison sac of one of those spiders,” he announced proudly, shaking the vial. “Very interesting, don’t you think. I do so love to collect things. Are you a collector?” He motioned for Weyl’n to take the chair in front of the desk, ramming shut the open drawer, trapping the chain of the amulet in the process. He placed the vial to one side of the desk, humming a rather out of tune melody as he did so.
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

"Nae, dunnae collect but on fees fer me work." the dwarf commented with a chuckle as he climbed up onto the offered chair. Looking at the vial and knowing now what it contained, though, took the smile off his face in a hurry. "Them spiders... still give me the shivers. Any particular reason fer 'oldin' on to this 'ere sac, other than its uhm... value as collectible item?" he asked the historian, considering its value questionable himself, even as a collectible.
Guido Cercatoro

“You never know when things might come in useful,” said the old man with a glint in his eye. “But in this case, the Provost asked me to investigate if there are any historical records of these beasts, or, their poison being used by others.” He frowned for flicker, looking somewhat unsettled. “There have been cases of poisoning and he fears…”

“In any event, I suspect that you are more interested in my research concerning your hammer. Is it with you? I need to see it.”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Weyl`n didn't comment on the matter of spiders further, finding the thought of collecting any part of them rather off-putting himself. To each their own, though... and fortunately for the dwarf Ressatrix seemed keen on moving on to the actual topic of his visit, which invoked a decisive nod from him.

"Yes indeed, the 'ammer." he noted, reaching into a pocket and revealing the small hammer after a bit of fishing around. Polishing it with a quick rub against his jerkin, he then leaned forward and offered it to the historian. "'ere ye are. Ta be perfectly 'onest with ye, 'ave not given it much thought in a while... with the calamities an' all. But would like ta know what 'tis about an' they said ye might be the right person ta ask."
Guido Cercatoro

The historian’s eyes widened with apparent awe as he took the hammer. He held it gingerly in his hands as if he were almost afraid to grip it too tightly. Then, he glanced for a flicker at the opened book on the table. “There is no doubt; this is cira,” he mumbled more to himself than his guest. Slowly, he laid the hammer on the table and then turned the drawing to face Weyl’n. The dwarf could see that a picture of the hammer had been inscribed in the book. Judging by the curled and worn edges of the pages it was a book of some antiquity.

“This is a most valuable ancient artefact,” began Ressatrix in an excited voice. “If the writer of this tome is to be believed, this is a hammer that was used by those in ancient Selderine, a city which once stood where Pax now stands. It was a device used by the builders of the city to create great stones which were involved some way in the city’s defences. Apparently it had some great enchantment placed on it, although whether it still persists, I do not know.”

“Tell me, how did you obtain the hammer?”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

The dwarf watched Ressatrix's reaction curiously. Though he had expected the item to be of some interest to the man, he hadn't anticipated the kind of awe and care as he displayed. As the book was turned his way, Weyl`n's attention turned to the drawing on it. Sure enough, it looked like the little hammer Ressatrix was holding.

"Tha' be rather small 'ammer fer such work don' ye think?" the dwarf asked, though he didn't sound serious. Not entirely. "It was given ta me by local mage of all people. Torc was 'is name. Figured 'e was exaggerating but, well... if what ye say be true..." The blacksmith left the sentence unfinished, since he wasn't entirely sure what this all meant even if what the collector had just now revealed was true.

The only certainty in his mind as far as the hammer went was that it was magical and by that definition trouble. And he did just fine without that sort.
Last edited by Weyl`n on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

“Torc is involved in this is he? I have heard tales of his exploits.” Ressatrix again mumbled the words to himself. “Well you certainly need a mage to help you more with this. There is one who might assist you further. His name is Baltimus, a halfling mage. There are strange rumours that he is connected with Selderine in some way. You should seek him out. He can usually be found in the Gate tavern.”

Ressatrix paused for a few flickers, looking greedily at the hammer. “Alternatively you may sell it to me. I would pay a considerable amount for such a relic.”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Weyl'n appeared the tiniest bit concerned as he listened to the historian, as if something was troubling him. After all, Torc's involvement with the hammer was only partially true. The mage had certainly been there when the young blacksmith was given the hammer... but it hadn't been given by Torc.

Surely he will think me crazy should I mention the phantom girl... the dwarf thought to himself.

Clearing his throat and trying to cheer up his outward appearance, Weyl'n reached carefully for the hammer. "Be that one time offer only, master 'istorian? 'ave not considered selling it... yet. But should tha offer stand might just take ye up on it later. Fer now, me thinks me should visit this Baltimus feller. See what 'e 'as ta say." Glancing sideways, the dwarf added under his breath "...even if 'e is one of them mages." Not that he was all that surprised; for blacksmithing one went to see a blacksmith. For magical items... a mage.
Guido Cercatoro

“The offer is a standing one,” replied the historian in an irritable voice. “But do not take long to decide if you will part with it, for I have many other matters that interest me.”

Ressatrix paused for a few flickers, steepling his fingers together. “You are a resourceful fellow to have acquired this artefact. I sometimes employ those with such skills to aid me in my endeavours. And they are rewarded well. If you are ever in need of employment or adventure, feel free to seek me out. Now, if that is all you may go.”
Weyl`n
Civus

Post by Weyl`n »

Slipping the tiny hammer back into his pocket, Weyl`n nodded to the historian. He tried to offer a friendly smile to ease the man's obvious irritation at missing a quick deal, but it didn't seem to have much of an effect. Figuring it was perhaps better to take the hint and leave, he slipped off his chair and straightened his clothes.

"Thank ye kindly fer job offer... an everythin else, mister Ressatrix. Fer now be employed by master 'ammer, but will certainly keep yer words in mind." the dwarf said, looking up at the man on the other side of the table. He hesitated for a moment, thinking about something, but then merely waved his hand and stepped towards the door with a smile on his face. "Ah, well... good day ta ye good sir. An' if ye ever find yerself in need of blacksmith's services, ye know where ta find me."

OOC: Done here for my part! And apologies for the slow posting...
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: finished and locked...visit Baltimus whenever you are ready..)
Guido Cercatoro

Archived without skilling due to player leaving Taz.

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”