One for all and all for One (closed) ~ Samheen 26th

Moderator: Mods

Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

One for all and all for One (closed) ~ Samheen 26th

Post by Syra »

Routine.

Slightly bored portal-guards had let him through. A routine step through to Roque d'Ancourt. The letter of recommendation and included payment were in order, signed by what seemed to be the officials in Pax Balthasar. It was no skin of their nose if someone was going to try and coax the necessary funds for a church out of the nobles' pockets. It was none of their business if there might be other reasons for this man to step through their portal.

Oh yes, it was their portal. It was their assignment and their responsibility. Couldn't have just anyone step through to anywhere! There would be disorder and chaos! Instead everything was taken care of like it should: paperwork went into neat files and everyone kept perfect track of where people went and why.

When everything had been signed and taken care of, the young man was let through as usual. They'd never had any trouble. Nobody ever needed to be stopped, nobody ever cheated their way through. All in a day's work.

As soon as the One-ist disappeared through the portal, the guards nodded at each other at another job well done.

"NEXT!"

Routine.
[hr][/hr]Stepping through the portal was like stepping through a thin layer of ice. There was resistance and yet there was none. One moment Yin was in Pax, the next he stepped out near what had to be the famous city of Roque d'Ancourt.

The gates of the King's proud summercity stood open, ready to welcome new visitors. The guards' rusty uniforms shone in the sunlight only matched by the bright smiles they wore on their cleanly shaven faces. The two portalguards stopped him shortly before he was allowed to move on.

"Routine, sir, nothing bad. Anything special you're bringing into Roque? Particular reasons for being here? Ah, I see you're from Pax Balthasar!" Somehow Yin's papers made it into the blond man's hands. "Hmmm, looks like all is in good order. Nothing to worry about, just routine. Have a good day sir!"

A gentle wave towards the gates and Yin was free to go. The grass was almost gone between the portal and the gates, showing fequent travelling between these two places. The occasional tree was slowly acquiring autumn colours, adding to the warm atmosphere of the city up ahead. It was picture perfect -and had to be, in order to be the favourite summerplace of kings. Three children ran by him, playing tag. The smallest of them stumbled and held on to Yin's arm in order not to fall.

"Sorry sir!" Her little voice piped up before she ran off again, her blond curls bouncing up and down as she chased the two slightly elder boys. They were moving towards a little grassy field where rabbits were enjoying their afternoon lunch. As soon as the noisy kids approached, the fluffy white tails disappeared in the higher growth.
Last edited by Syra on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin had returned from his day of working in the village of Pax to pack. His house was not started. He did not get to speak with the captain about stabling the horses, and in one day he had undone all the work he had tried to do over the past few days he had been here. It was clear to him, this was not the place. He dressed in the grey cloak as he packed.

He could have the man strung up, gutted, and then burn the ashes for what he was saying about the King back there. He did not say it directly, no, he slid it in nice and subtle like. He was a evil serpent of a man, and Yin would not forget him. When he was through, he would return to Pax, claim his land, and the land of any unrepentant pagan left here. They did not deserve the grace of the King.

He prepared a letter to go to the church to let them know of what he found. Of the man in the square and of the meetings he had with all those here. He was not forgiving in his letter, noting those who sides with the insurgent and those who did not.

With his things packed, he did not waste time but left as soon as he could. A large chest held his things. He wore his armor and the grey cloak this time when he left, with his symbol out for all to see. He stopped by the army camp to see the Father. He asked for a horse to help him on his trip, to carry his chest and himself this distance. If he was to enter another city as a Paladin of the One he should look proud.

He stepped through the portal and was happy to get the relief of the warmer weather. He trailed the horse behind him and sighed, feeling cleaner as he left the dirty town behind him. It was dirty, in many ways, and he was glad to be away from it. Everything would be made clean again, washed clean with blood and fire.

As the guards stopped him, he nodded. “I am here to see the church, and to see their library.” He would do some more reading, on gathering men, and managing troops. He would also see if he could watch the captains here, and generals. He would need to know how to fight demons and evil spirits, because he knew when he returned he would find greater evil there then before.

He smiled at the children as they played. He nodded to the girl as she ran off with her friends, or family, his belly rumbling as he walked. He would have to go to the church to see if he could get a meal. There was not much to eat in Pax, and his coin was running low.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Syra

Post by Syra »

The guards on gate duty nodded at the new arrival, obviously unconcerned about his reasons for being here. A quick explanation told Yin the church was not at all hard to find, even if it was still located in what used to be the lonely fishermen's village.

The sun warmed street lead into the bustling city with filled wagons rolling over the flagstones and a dead rabbit. More children ran by, laughing and playing. They stopped shortly under one of the gargoyles which collected the rainwater, enjoying the impromptu shower with giggles and yelps. Colourfully dressed women hastened to the Bazaar where smells and sights were enough to make anyone hunger. Smartly dressed men discussed the arrival of King Balthasar and his great need for advisors in his favoured city of all.

This was no city in need: this was a city of splendour and plenty.

Churchbells tolled and told the young man he was near his goal. Soon the monestary came into sight, the belltower rising proud over the pristine white walls of the elongated building. Several white dressed monks were working in the gardens, nodding and smiling.

One of them put his knife back into the folds of the habit and went up to greet the newcomer. "Welcome, young sir. How may the church of the One aid you?"

[/size]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin could not help but wonder at the city, and marvel at the abundance. It was so big compared to Pax, it made that town look like a dirt village. He walked the streets taking in the details, smiling at the fact the King would be there. Perhaps he would get to meet with him, or see him at least. He did want to let him know of the issues in Pax, of the people and how they needed food. How taking care of them would help to dampen the flames of discontent in the city.

He held his belly as he passed the bazaar, it grumbled angrily at the wonderful smells. He needed to eat, and his body was reminding him loudly. He quickened his pace, nodding to the smartly dressed women as he passed, leading the horse.

He grew more at ease when he saw the white walls of the monastery walls. As the monk approached Yin knelt. “Father, I am Yin Lorin, Paladin for the One, I have traveled a great distance and I would seek a place to rest and to eat as I study.”

“I would ask to be able to read from your library. I seek understanding of how to lead men, and how to establish the One’s Order of Paladins.” He said looking up at the older man.

Syra

Post by Syra »

"Blessings on you, Yin Lorin. You are most welcome within our walls." The monk's kind voice sounded. Perhaps you should rest first before you try your hand at our library. You look tired. Come, let me show you inside."

The man motioned for Yin to stand up and walked him to the great double doors. The white halls inside were filled with straight, wooden benches, the corridors extending on the side to the other parts of the monestary. The white dressed believer shuffled over the marble, beckoning the young man to follow him further inside.

The outside warmth did not reach inside the domed building. Cool air streaked Yin's hair as he moved along past several smaller and larger prayer rooms, offices and classrooms.

Mumblings carried on the draft, prayers to the One and his mercy, blessings for those alive and passed over. The few people in more colourful clothing did not acknowledge the pair as they walked by. It was only the permanent residents of the monestary that smiled and nodded whenever they saw Yin follow one of their brothers. Some were obviously on their way to other duties, taking a short cut through the wall to get there on time. Others were simply around, carrying their book of prayers or guiding one of the faithful Roque believers.

"Would you like to eat first?" His guide asked. "Or would you like to rest? Perhaps you wish to see the library first? Anything is possible for those of the faith. We do not get many visitors from outside Roque d'Ancourt, so you must understand you are something of a novelty to us." A kind smile took the possible edge off the comment. "Tell me, if you please, where do you hail from? Is it much different from here?"

[/size]

Post by Guest »

The wagon creaked over the cobbles. The going was slow as the pair of oxen plodded onward keeping a pace no matter of shouts or pain could hasten. They had their own speed and Izy was in no real hurry. The pointy stick he held made the beasts of burden move at first, but they could not be rushed. So, he just sat with his back against one of the wooden barrels that were loaded on the back of his cart. A rough grey canvas covered those and a faint smell of alcohol followed his passing.

Should have used airtight barrels. You plan something like this for weeks and forget a simple matter of airtight barrels. Still it might be better this way. The reaction should spread faster. But, if the fumes gather under the canvas, my calculation will be for naught. Oh, well. For, a flicker he pondered whether it would be wise to light a pipe, and then decided that safety was not a concern now. So, with a deep breath he made a few spark and inhaled the smoke.

Nothing happened and he relaxed a bit, prodding the oxen once more. It served no real purpose, but made his act believable. And after a corner, the Monastery was in sight. Feeling a sorrow at the fate that will befall the creatures that pulled his wagon before long, Izyander felt a surge of adrenalin too. His goal was close. His heart beat at a frantic pace as with each flicker he got closer. And just as his cart was next to the bell tower he leaned on a board next to him and it gave way under his weight. For a flicker nothing happened and then he heard the sound of steel spike sliding into it place.

With a loud crack wood splintered and the little gnome gripped the side of the wagon. The surprise was evident on his face as the left wheel clattered to the ground. "Damned wheel. I paid Ungar to fix that. Should have checked the work myself." He heard the sound of liquid behind him and pulling at his pipe once more put it carefully in the back. The little guy jumped down and examined the wheel for a few flickers, before turning towards the Monastery gates.

I need someone to take care of the wagon, yet I can't risk too many people seeing my face. I need a monk. He won't be able to talk after this is done, and he won't poke his nose where it has no place. Now, where could I find a lone monk? And his eyes scanned the street in search of some help. Anyone to look after his cart while he was gone.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Holding the growling tummy, Yin gave a bashful smile. “Perhaps I should eat first, then I could go see the library. I do not need rest; I am fine how I am.” He said as they walked through the main hall. He looked around at all there was to see, having left the horse and all his belongings on it out by the main door.

It was so different from the temple, so much more open, though it was smaller then the temple. It just felt less confined, less dark and ominous. “Me?” Yin said looking at the monk. “Oh, I am from King’s Court, I grew up there and in the Jante. My kin are from the Downs, but I went to live in the temple since I was twelve.” He said giving the man a bit of his background. “You must be getting all types around here though with the portals and such?” He rested a hand on his sword as they walked. “Do you know any who know about war?”

Syra

Post by Syra »

Warm.
Warmer.
Warmest!

This was not a day to linger out in the sun and yet there the wagon went, Izyander guiding the oxen along. The beasts of burden took their time right up until the wheel cracked. As if they had been waiting for this excuse to rest, they came to a dead stop.

The particular smell from the back of the wagon grew stronger with every flicker. It was a good thing the road was virtually empty, or people might have taken offense in these days where paranoia reigned.

Several white clad people were walking in and out of the monestary gates, carrying baskets with greenery. All in all it was easy as pie to find someone to talk to, especially since one man was already making his way towards Izy, a patient smile painted on his face.

Unaware of the strange goings outside, Yin was being brought deeper into the monestary. "Since you were twelve?" The monk repeated, arching eyebrows touching his receeding hairline. "Thank Dominicus for those who are born into the light. You must be strong in your faith, Yin Lorin. He will need all our strength. Ah, here we are."

The hallway opened into a common room of sorts, wooden benches and tables situated to create paths in between. The white floor was never broken by any colour save the wood. More of the same flowerless plants stood guard by the windows.

"Let's see if we can get you some breakfast." He smiled and walked towards the kitchens. "The war, you say? Ah yes, the portals have been busy of late. Those trying to flee the fighting come here...and are either drafted or whisked away to Pax Balthasar -may Dominicus bless our King."

"May He bless common sense." A female voice remarked dryly behind them. The monk turned and frowned disapprovingly at the brownhaired girl. "Now, now, child, we are not here to judge. King Balthasar is the living Avatar of the One. As such we will respect him and his fight against those that would quench the light."

She pulled her reinforced leather straight down in a huff of indignation. "We are allowed to speak our minds, are we not? We put our faith in the One, but he puts his faith in our common sense! I am not saying that the one or other might lack some, but I do say that we need to think before we act instead of mindlessly acting out of fear. Is that so wrong, father Ferrin?"

The white clad monk looked skittishly from the young woman back to Yin. "Uh...yes, you have obviously listened to father Macophere. Now run along, don't you have some chores to do?"

The brown eyes clouded over. "Yes, I have chores to do, one of which is to check all newcomers for possible threats. You, sir, what's your purpose here!" Her voice held defiance towards father Ferrin, obviously using Yin as a decoy to get back at the monk.

[/size]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin looked at the woman and gave a bow. “My lady, I am Yin Lorin, Paladin of the Order of the One, for the Church.” He made the introduction quite formally. “I am from King’s Court and the temple, having traveled her from the township of Pax.” He stood from his bow, having watched how the others would bow in court he tried to mimic it, failing most likely and looking like a fool.

He nodded to her then to the Monk. “As I told the Father here, I am here to learn. I will study from the library. I seek information on war and on the pagans. I agree, we need common sense and understanding, knowledge is key to wisdom.” He said to her, smiling a bit. “Faith is key to our salvation though. If we ignore faith for our own understanding, we place our lives in the arm of the flesh, when we need to place our salvation in the arms of the spirit. It is no sin to follow the word of The One’s chosen, but to transgress the word is the sin. We should not sacrifice our own souls for what limited sight and understanding we have.”

His tummy rumbled some. “Hopefully I will have breakfast in my sight and understanding soon.” He put a hand over his belly. “I apologize; I have not had much to eat over the past few days. I have been building home in Pax. The place saddens me, so much given to them, and they are so ungrateful. I fear what must be done there. If it is not watched, we could find that city revolting, as they seem to have no respect or love for the King who cares so much for them.”

Post by Guest »

Izyander almost grinned evilly when he saw the monk approaching him. For a flicker he felt remorse when he saw his age, for the lad could not have been more than fourteen, but the little fellow steeled himself for the task at hand. There was no time to waste. And besides, the boy was a monk, a stout believer in the One. They must all die. They are the ones giving power to the divine madman. And I remember the days I called him my own true God. When did he lose his way? When did he go insane? When did he start killing innocents. Bah, no matter. The stage is set. We only await the lights to fall onto the stage and we can begin. I BRING THE LIGHT. He almost screamed those words, but managed to stop himself and coughed loudly, just as the lad approached.

"Erm, pardon me, my friend. Would you be so kind as to watch my wagon, while I go fetch someone to help me unload the barrels so I could repair it? I won't be long. And, do be careful. It is quite expensive merchandise." And before the lad could reply he bowed and was away. Quite expensive indeed. Worth lot of lives. Lives of murdering fanatics. So long. It was hard walking away slowly. The fuse was burning and there was another hint of sorrow as he passed the oxen. Poor beasts. They deserve better. Oh, well. I will get me a new pair. I hope the corpse in the back work. I need them to believe I am dead. With a glance over his shoulder the little guy ensured the monk was still by the carriage and waved. He even managed a smile that looked genuine at that distance. See you in Nether, fool. Hope you land on your head.

As soon as he was around the corner and out of sight he ran for it. He should be safe from the initial blast, but debris. It would simply not do for him to be killed by a falling monk. But, then curiosity took over. He ran for the corner again and turned two more times and then peeked at the wagon. he just had to see the effects of his work. He just had to see it work. Any moment now. Any moment now. Come on already. I wanna see the fireworks.
Syra

Post by Syra »

The young woman bowed in return, pushing the sword in her belt back so it would not hinder her. "Ronne Delancort." She replied curtly, straightening up again with a snap. "Paladin in training." She shot a look over at father Ferrin, not noticing any possible awkwardness in Yin's motions.

"I'm not sure why you're giving me a sermon on ignoring faith, though, master Yin..." Ronne continued, her eyes locking onto his. She could not be much older. In fact, had he asked, he would find out the girl was 17. Her yahren in training had given her a small advantage over the clumsy growing into maturity.

At the rumbling she actually laughed. "Never mind. Father, I'll take him off your hands. Breakfast is served, Yin Lorin of King's Court." And with a flourishing gesture of her arms the girl guided him towards the kitchens.

For one not of the human persuasion Izyander was a remarkable good judge of yahren. Indeed the white clad man was young, but despite his youth he came up to the broken wagon with the patience and tolerance of one his senior. Obviously he had been taught well.

Outside the friendly novice -for he was just a few yahren short of a full commitment- nodded at the gnome. "No troubles at all, good sir. I'll make sure nobody touches your wares." He took up a post next to the oxen and actually patted the big animal's back. "Easy now, fellows...soon you'll have your rest and something to drink.'

Fzzzzzzzsssshhhhhhhh

Tillon cocked his head. It was a most peculiar sound and it seemed to be emenating from the back of the cart. "Now I wonder what has gotten into his wares..." He mumbled, moving back and lifting the canvas. The slow fuse lit up at the added oxygen and sparked into one of the kegs.

"Oh my..."

WHOOOOOSH!

He dropped the canvas in surprise.

WHABOOOM

Big surprise.

The building shook. Plaster and stones were falling down. Kettles spilled over and pillars cracked.

"What in the name of the One..." Ronne gasped, diving for cover. Large bricks came down, barely missing Yin's head. Several smaller ones covered the twosome in the kitchens, hot soup spilling over the floor.

People cried out, others stayed silent. Children screamed. Clouds of dust and black smoke obscured sight. The smell of something burning became more prevalent with each passing flicker.

"The children!" The paladin in training yelled and got up, darting over and through debris towards the orphanage.

A huge shock.
A blast.
A crater where the wagon once stood. The entire front of the monestary in ruins, taking most of the church innards with it.
It started raining parts and pieces, some still twitching.

With the great cloud that rose into the sky the perfect picture of Roque d'Ancourt was shattered beyond repair.
Last edited by Syra on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[/size]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The suddenness of what happened was shocking, more so then the bits of wall that almost took his life. He was looking out a wall that was there just a moment ago. Then the body parts started to fall, and that shock almost broke him. He felt his insides twist up as pieces of the building and the occupants came down from the heavenward path they were sent on.

He was glad his belly was empty as he wanted to retch. He stifled the urge and heard her mention children. “What?” Yin’s urge to throw up was replaced with another urge, and the bloody hand mark on his wrist felt like it would burn him. He was meant to see this, to witness just how evil they could be. “They killed children and priests, innocents who did not have a chance.” He looked down at the small leg that was once part of a child, a girl from the look of the shoe. The rest of the girl from the knee up was missing.

He felt the passion, the hunger inside him brimming over like a pot left too long to boil. Just a little longer though, for now, they would have to save those they could.

He started into the wreckage and debris as well, looking for anyone else who may have lived. He was pulling at the stone and rubble to try to find anyone still alive.

Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

What a beautiful autumn day...

The being known as the Motley walked down the street. He was heading back towards the orphanage to visit with Angelica and along the way paused to look out over the bay and watch the gulls fly. He often enjoyed such simple pleasures, and he was reminded of the falcons that flew around the tallest spires of Dragonskeep.

What a glorious day indeed.

Lost in thought and absently chewing a piece of crusty bread, he began to make his way over towards the church. He paused in the graveyard to pay his respects to his mother and when finished, he blew the dead woman's grave a kiss. Then it was off to the church.

I hope Angelica likes the song I wrote for her. Despite her scars, she's a lovely child, I wonder if Sister Fullys..."

The explosion tore through the streets and knocked the ugly little performer flat on his back. Motley found himself staring into a great red sky and when he lifted his head, he realized that the sky wasn't red, it was blood in his eyes. He wiped a forearm across his bulging brow to clear them and immediately wished he hadn't.

Smoke and fire filled his vision, along with rubble and debris everywhere. He tried to stand, and found it was difficult from various injuries that shrapnel from the blast had caused. He had numerous cuts and scrapes, and worst of all, a large piece of wood was protruding from his leg above his knee. He pulled the chunk of the wagon out of his leg and it gushed forth with a crimson fountain, which he clamped a hand over to stem the tide. He quickly tore a strip from his torn cloak and wrapped it tightly around his leg.

He looked around afterwards and began a limping run over to where the church stood. The ugly little man was shocked to find the entire monastery in tattered ruins.

"ANGELICA!" He screamed. "NO!"

He limped over to the scene and began to help sift through the rubble to find survivors.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Dustclouds were kicked up by every stone that let go off the huge structure. Flames were spreading as oil lamps were crushed and toppled. Quickly the remainder of the building started to smell of burning wood...a moment later burning meat joined the mix, although it was unclear whether this came from the kitchen or the well populated orphanage.

Cries were filling the gaps between wreckage coming down. It was going to be very dangerous filing through the debris in search for survivors. Yet more shouts could be heard, each yelling for help. A little pale face stared at Yin from the rubble, eyes unfocussed, A wooden splinter sticking through her throat in a very final way.

A hand grabbed his ankle in desperation. "...elp...." A little voice croaked, long black hair stuck under rocks.

"For the One's sake, keep moving!" Ronne yelled behind him, darting past while she moved pieces of the monestary out of the way. There was no sign of father Ferrin. "The kitchen is going to come down any moment!"

As if to emphasise the young woman's words the remainder of the ceiling started to show dangerous cracks.

From the outside it looked ever worse, the entire front blown back inside leaving nothing standing of the once proud church. None of the monks working outside were still in one piece, the pristine white forever smudged with bloody red.

There was no answer to Motley's agonized cry. More people came running in to try and salvage whatever -or whoever- could be saved. Right behind what used to be the church the first flames found the open air and shot out in victory, feeding on the oxygen to rise higher and higher, grabbing everything within their reach.

A new explosion threw back several of the workers, a strange light just over the destroyed monestary disappearing as soon as it's blinding flash crashed the site.

For Tinally there was a timeless moment of terrible disorientation, nauseating movement, deafening silence and then suddenly...

Cries.
Shouts.
Terror.
Chaos.
Pain.

A heavy weight leaned on her legs, making it impossible to move without help. A little up ahead two moving people could be spotted through the thick dust whirling around. A sickening smell filled her nostrils, sweet and burning at the same time, so strong that it found it's way to the back of her tongue.

[/size]

Post by Guest »

It was all just to confusing... disorientated absolutely, it took her several seconds to come to her senses. And as the world came back in to focus, a wave of terror came over Tinally. There was something burning and she was unable to move with something heavy leaning on her legs causing her a great amount of pain.

Thing were going to fast for her to realise where she was or have anything to think of it. The embassy, falling through the portal, the cat that wasn't a cat, the mage and the lost artifact all fell back as only one clear thought formed in her mind - she had to get out from under this thing !

" HELP!!!! " - she cried and start to cough. The pain in her legs increased every time she tried to budge.
" PLEASE HELP!!!" she repeated.

The achdhiel glanced around looking for anyone who might be able to get her out and simply couldn't belive her eyes. She was in Roque DAncourt! Home! She couldn't forget the place they visited so many times for every mass and on every holiday from her early childhood. But it was impossible! She was pushed in to the Aether! Thoughts rased through her mind. But it might have ben possible she was thrown out of the Aether by accident, or thanks to this explosion, or there might have ben a portal here she did not know of...Odd but this did not look like a dream to her...well it was not a dream anyway, but it was so real! Especially the pain... another look around and she thought she noticed familiar faces...so this was reality! There was a big chance of it..though she still left the possibility of it being the Aether..it just seemed all a bit to simple.

On the other hand it might have ben organised that way. Put things as though she went home and kill her here. No witnesses no nothing. That seemed possible... But the pain and smoke maid it hard to think, Tinally started to feel dizzy.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

These are not warriors; these are not target or combatants. These were people, normal, average people who were no threat to them. They were children, they were hope and promise. How could they do this, how could anyone do this? Yin knew how, they had no soul. They had no life in their hollow black bodies, this is how they could be so evil and do such a wicked thing.

As the girl told him to run, it was as if she were in a distance, his ear still rang from the blast. She sounded so far away, it all seemed so far away, as if he was not really there at all, just watching through someone else’s eyes.

Then the hand touched him as he started to move. The girl, her eyes struck him the hardest. She did not want to die; she did not deserve to die. This was not justice, this was just death. “I am sorry; please go to Him with glory.” It was all he could say as he pulled out his sword. The place was collapsing, the fire was coming, and she was not going to live. He tried to cut true, but his hand was quivering. Slice through the neck and take the head off, quick death compared to the agony of fire and bleeding.

Inside, part of him died as well, it became colder harder, like a living thing slowly turning to stone. Bit by bit he could feel it changing in him as he moved through the rubble, sending those who would only suffer to the One quickly, painlessly. The smoke and the ash was covering him, sticking to the sweat and blood on his body as he made his way through the rubble to leave.

Then the cry from a woman. He half walked and half ran, the ruble made footing unsure, and even more when combined with the smoke. Again he was grateful for his empty stomach. When he came on the trapped Tinally he was numb from the killing he had to do. She was trapped under the rubble. “Do not worry, I will help you.” He said as he dropped the ash and blood covered sword down next to her and worked his finger to find a hold on the rubble to lift.

He knew how to lift, and physical labor was his trade around the stables. Lifting bags of feed and bales of hay went with the territory. He secured his footing and started to lift the weight. She seemed familiar, but he could not place it. She could have been anyone in the church; it would not be surprising to have people he had seen at the temple here. “Pull her out.” He told Ronne. “Get her out of here.”

Post by Guest »

" Thank Dominicus." she said under her breath.

She was saved. Someone had actually heard her and for a second the young mans voice sounded familiar. However she could not get a good look at her saviors face because of all the smoke and dust getting in her eyes.. and the pain. Oh it only became worse as he tried to free her from the rubble. But she only clutched her fists and frowned not making a sound. She just prayed that no bones were broken, but it seemed unlikely. A good hematoma was guaranteed though. Now if only she could be able to walk on her own.

" Thank you, sir. I belive I am forever in dept and I will be eternally grateful." said Tinally and coughed again just as she was finally freed from the weight and looked up to recognize a familiar face.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley tore at the rubble until his hads were raw and bleeding. Trying to pull out anyone and everyone he could find. Half blinded by smoke and ash, he coughed and choked and battled on against the chaos to help any he could. In a way he felt responsible for them. He wanted to be their voice. He wanted to be their eyes and ears and their representative in everything. This was his home, and these were his people, regardless of race and religion and divisive social classes. He was them, and they were he.

Smoke and fumes and rubble and pain and death...

A blond haired man along with others were helping a young woman from the rubble. Ironic because he just seemed to be helping one to death a few flickers ago.

Wait. That face. This bastard just cut off Angelica's head!

He ran to her broken body. He held the little hand.

Still warm...

He began to weep. Wrenching, heartrending sobs that shook his whole body. He quivered with fear and loathing at the violence of the explosion and the blonde man's act upon this sweet little girl.

Death will find him someday too... Death will find him someday too...

He stared at the blonde haired man malevolently, through mismatched eyes and over a tear streaked face.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Dust sprayed over his desk and his hand jerked to the side ruining the report. Yet, that was the least of his worries. The chair flew and slammed into the wall as Gavin sprang to his feet and rushed to the window. A great pillar of smoke rose from the direction of the Monastery. "What in the name of the One....." Eyes still glued to the scene, the big man reached for his sword and realized it fell to the ground. Bending down, he picked the sheathed blade up and rushed outside.

Several of the guards were staring at the rising cloud when he burst out. "Sergeant Ilyus. Gather the men. All of them. There might be trouble." And as he waited for his troops to gather Guard Captain Gavin, buckled his sword on. Please, let it not be a mage battle. Not here. Not on my shift. Blasted magick users. It should be banned. All of it. And with impatience he paced up and down until the men were ready to march. "You, move to the northern Garrison and fetch more men." Without waiting to see if his order was to be obeyed, he turned to the Sergeant and pointed down the street.

"There. On the double. Follow me." And he started his own trot towards the now settling dust cloud, noting the Sergeant's orders in the back. His world was soon filled with the clinking of metal, from his own armor as well those of the other guards. It took a few burns for him to get to intersection and he stopped abruptly, the Sergeant almost running into him. A few curses followed as some of the man failed to stop in time. And then without a word, Gavin sprinted down the street unwilling to believe what he saw. Monastery? Ruined? But, why? Who... The children.... The monks....

The big man paused a flicker to catch his breath in front of the Monastery and whirled to face the Sergeant. "Two men at each neighboring intersection. As reinforcements arrive make sure all the routes are covered. Nobody leaves or enters the area without my permission. NOBODY. I don't care who wants out, send them to me. Understood?" And he waited until the Sergeant assigned the man and then took hold of the remaining troops.

"Alright men. We need to get those people out of there and to put that fire out. You and you, go pull people out of their houses and make a bucket chain. The rest of you, follow me and get everyone to safety. That corner is our infirmary. You, go get the healers. And then run and inform the Guard Commander. Forget the questions for now. People first, investigations later. I will find out what happened here and why." And then he rushed in, his eyes scanning the ground for anyone who showed signs of life. The carnage was impressive, but for now investigations will have to wait. So many people. Who did this? And why?
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Moving the rock and timber from her trapped body was easy, easier then the task he was doing before. He looked at as the last bit was lifted from her, spotting a strange look in her eye.

He recognized her too, from the dream with the demon. “I have helped you up before?” He said, then blushed. “You are Assistant Secretary to Ministry of Foreign… ummm Affairs?” He said cautiously as he slipped his sword away and reached down to slip his arms under the legs and back of the battered girl.

He looked up and saw a figure hunched over where he had to deliver mercy to a girl. “Sir, please, it is not safe here. You should get out!” He tried to sound compassionate, but it really came off as commanding and cold. Just remembering what he had to do made the life leave him. “Ronne, could you please help him. I will take her over across the street to that house that is still standing. I will see if there are any monks still alive.”

He paused looking at Tinally, he still remembered their last meeting, that was the dream that he received his charge, his orders, was this the same woman, or did the dream warn him of her. Was she going to try to stop him from doing his duty.

Focus, pay attention to what matters right now. “We will set up a make-shift hospital. I will see if any of the monks are still alive who can heal.” He looked around at the ruble and destruction. “For those who cannot be saved…” What was there to do, make it quick, it was not as if they could make it less painful. “… do what needs to be done. Save those we can.”

He nodded back to Tinally as he lifted her up. “I am Yin Lorin, Paladin for the One.” He introduced himself.

Post by Guest »

" Yes, thats right. We've met before." Now Tinally remembered where she saw this young man, the Aether was an odd place. The problem you could never really tell a dream from reality. And sometimes it was half on half. " It is a pleasure to meet you again Yin, in life this time. I only wish the timing was better."

She smiled feeling somewhat uncomfortable for being a burden. She absolutely hated feeling helpless.

" My name is Tinally Av'Dalor, but at the moment I'm the head secretary of our Embassy in the Citadel and junior Ambassador under the head of Anton maverik, he used to work at Heralds Hall with me in Kings Court. " she said wondering if the two knew each other. There was a chance.

Yin picked up the young achadhiel.As her arms touched his shoulders she could feel his strong muscles... Dream on Tin, he's a paladin, Miri would look better in your position.

" But that was the shortest raise in history as I belive I'm about to be fired. Unimportant though." she murmured more to herself.
" What do you think happened?" she asked a shocked as they passed more and more of the ruins. There were many wounded and dead...She must have hit her head hard not to notice this at once.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin stepped through the rubble, carrying the woman from the scene of carnage, of blood and death. “You were in the dream then.” He said softly. “You should not worry about your position in the affairs of state so, I am sure they will find a proper place for you still. I am sure a woman with your skill will find work easy.” He stopped at the edge of the broken wall.

He almost dropped her when he saw the man directing the rust red troops of the city. He was a pagan, Yin knew that in his heart. He was also a warrior, a good warrior, and he was commanding the men.

He looked down at the crater that was made. “I would think this was some pagan attack on us, on the church. Striking at us like dogs, killing those who cannot fight because they know they are weak.” Yin said somberly.

He held Tin tightly in his arms, holding her to him as if carrying a child. He had passed so many that were dead, or dieing, walked past with what he thought was the only survivor in the buildings.

He walked to Gavin as he was commanding the building of the infirmary. He thought like Yin, planned like him.

“Captain, I would be careful searching for survivors, some of the buildings are still ready to collapse.” Yin said as he approached. “You are the Captain of the guard, are you not?”

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The sound of his men departing down the street mixed with the crackling of the fire and the crashing of the stones as the Monastery slowly collapsed. Gavin was deploying his men around. "Move out in pair and don't try to be heroes. Just do your job. Get the people out. Wounded and the children first." He kept shouting and almost missed the blond man carrying a girl in his arms. He was armored and armed, and Gavin quickly noted the position of his men should the need arise. But, for now he merely stood his ground and awaited.

He let go of the cloak and let it fall down so the man could see his face. And so he would have both of his arms free. The big man's chin was slightly raised as he listened to his questions. "Well, I wear the guards uniform and I am the one yelling at all these men. So that kinda makes me the Captain. Captain Tylvan to you." A quick glance over Yin's shoulder and he pointed towards the main gates. "Over there, Marcus. Take the kids there. Sergeant will handle them." And a man hurried past ushering a bunch of kids before him, dirty, but relatively unharmed. "And while you are at it, see how my bucket chain is coming along."

With a lost look he turned back upon the pair. "Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Introductions. While you now know who I am, I don't have the slightest idea who you two might be. So start talking. And I would like to see some proof of what you are saying. Some papers. Cause you see, someone just blew a monastery on my watch and I don't like when people do that. So, till I find out who did it, everybody is the suspect. So, names, places of origin and reason for being here. And fast. I am kinda busy." And once more he gazed over them. "Kick the bloody door down, James. They won't notice it was you who did it with all this carnage. Come on, hurry it up."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

He dropped Angelica's hand. She was beyond pain and anger or feeling abandoned now. Her hand was mere flesh and blood and everything that had made the hand of a sweet little girl had been removed with the cold sweep of steel.

It's just flesh and blood now. Her eternal soul is gone. He told himself so that might remain in control.

But Motley wasn't just tissue now. He was still alive. Still able to feel pain and loss. Still able to feel violated and full of rage. More angry than he had ever been at any point in his life, he replied to the blonde haired man with nothing but contempt and loathing.

"Safe? Safe from who? From the evil bastards who did this in the first place? Or perhaps now from you, arbitrarily dispensing final justice to those here?"

He pointed to the girl with a wooden splinter lodged in her throat, tragically beyond hope of rescue or survival.

"That girl deserved your mercy!" He spat the word like a curse. Then he pointed to the other girl that had been decapitated.

"This girl..." The tears began to well again, more rage than pain. "This girl deserved to be rescued just as much as her!" Her said with a gesture now to Tinally.

"But no! You waltzed in and began dispensing your mercy!" There was that word again.

"And you killed her!" "YOU KILLED HER!"

"You wear the armor of a Paladin! A guardian sworn to protect us all! You wear the armor sir, but the black heart that beats in your foul chest is no better than any common thug!"

"Tell me sir! Was it your God telling you to kill at random, or perhaps you simply saw a pretty face and wanted to violate some oath of celibacy and end your torment of being chaste? You're an animal! A SAVAGE!"

The ugly little man was beyond seeing the guards arrive and approach, he was beyond hearing the man commands being issued around him. Only one thought was capable of going through his mind.

He reached down and pulled the dagger at his waist from it's sheath. He gripped it tightly and began walking in a direct path at Yin. His face was a tear streaked mask of furious revenge...
Last edited by Motley on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

" Thank you, I hope you are right." replied Tinally to Yins compliment. They stopped at the edge of a broken wall where he nearly dropped her, making the young woman hold on even tighter.

And then the Paladins words of the pagans verged her in to the state of shock.
No! This could not have ben true...How could anyone do something like this?! They were all no more then children and monks... And anger rouse inside Tinally. She could stand a lot of things BUT NO ONE touched HER HOME! She swore to herself that whoever did this will die a most painful and slow death and preferably have his soul sent to the demons of the Neither. She could arrange it.

She was somewhat still in shock up to the moment Yin spoke to the Captain. He also seemed familiar, though she didn't remember where she might have seen him. Gavins question brought back her ability to speak.

" I am Tinally Av'Dalor. I'm part of the Western Embassy in the Citadel. Here to visit home. I don't have any papers with me , but I was borne here in Roque and I belive many people can confirm my identity." She lied without slightest hesitation, besides it was only half a lie . She really was from Roque, there would probably be someone around she knows. But she wasn't here just to visit. Well it wasn't her fault, but she couldn't just say she fell out of the Aether by a mistake of the mage that tried to kill her...oh what a long story... No it'll have to wait. She'll probably ask Yin for help though. But not now.

" And this is Yin Lorin, Paladin of the One..." but before she could add that he had just saved her life, Motley had caught her attention. She looked from the little man to Yin unable to understand what was going on. Recent event's however taught her a valuable lesson, don't just wait for something to happen. She reached for the Energies of the Aether...odd they seemed very different here, but now was not the time to worry about it.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”