The Minds Eye sleeps in the Aether: [Open] Sam 28 GT

Moderator: Mods

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

The Minds Eye sleeps in the Aether: [Open] Sam 28 GT

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Wind whipped across the waves of the ocean surrounding Le Bois de Noir. It tasted of salt and held the merest edge in its embrace. The mistress that was the wind brought the smell of smoke among other things with her tidings. In the clouds above there were also ill omens in their bruised and darkened faces. They seemed swollen with the rain that would surely fall and rumblings of thunder resounded from lands far away. The air itself felt electric; almost as if a lightning bolt would tear the sky from any point. Under ominous cloud cover the visible sky under it was the gray of clouded steel and the horizon broke on water that was the color of dark blue marble. It looked like rain, smelled like rain, the very air tasted of it. Oh there would be rain but the question was how much, and for how long.

It was Tradetide but there was not enough sunlight for it to feel this way. Days like these made it easy to realize how much the sun is taken for granted. The man standing at the helm of the only ship dotting this ocean had thoughts that were in that same vein. It was all he could do to keep his mind from the task at hand. Just looking at him you could see the adhiel influence in his features and bone structure. Yet he was tall and leanly muscled unlike the Adhiel standard. The natural grace of his movements made him formidable in battle and this was also largely due to his Adhiel heritage. Then of course there was a tell tale point of his ear that would have laid any suspicion to rest. Without too much observation, one could see that the man known as Talanwei was an even amalgam of both human and Adhiel blood. The Achadiel was garbed in a suit of light chain mail. The cloth portions were of a dark blue a few shades lighter than the hard face of the water below. Talanwei brushed his warm brown colored hair out of eyes that were a dark jade. He looked out on the sea before him and Talanwei’s expression was grim. The weather did not bode well at all, he just hoped this relative calm would hold until they made a landing.

This journey had been long in coming and the individual he was pursuing had made a long retreat before he had reached an island off the coast of Le Bois de Noir. Across the Seven Isles, encounter after encounter and the struggle was nearing its end. Talanwei was glad with this fact because for far too long the fallen Wizard had been terrorizing the Isles. It started with simple disappearances and whisperings of dark dealings when night fell. Then more open violence toward human, adhiel, and the entire gamut of races that ran throughout the lands east of the West continent. The situation had dragged Talanwei into its midst on his home island, Citadel. The memory came unbidden as the paladin stood lone on the deck of the Grey Morning.

The night had been like any other. It was cool and the sky looked as midnight colored velvet. Talanwei was with a woman named Dachiva who was a fellow paladin. They had been tasked with investigating a building that was thought to have been abandoned on the Outer Ring of Citadel. There had been reports of both odd sounds and smells coming from the area after dark. Once inside Talanwei saw walls and tables covered with symbols, drawings, and then there was the smell. The Achadiel had never forgotten the smell. It was a sickly sweet smell of blood and the rot of flesh, food, and things inbetween. Deeper into the house, the worse things became and they uncovered a passage to a basement, though basement was hardly the word. It was more a cavern hewn out of rock and dirt. The things they uncovered were gruesome at best and they were exploring the last portion of the makeshift basement.

Dachiva was rounding a sharp corner and a terrific blast took the ground from her. The sheer sense of stomach dropping horror coursed through him for a few mere moments even as the smell of ozone and electricity filled his nostrils. Looking at her limp form, her eyes looking at the ceiling, the paladin knew that his comrade was dead. He rounded the corner drawing the blade from his side, a wreath of shallow white flame erupted around its edge illuminating the gloom showing him a rather large clear area. Squeals of pain greeted the Achadiel and the light showed him, goblins? In Citadel?!

At least three of them there were and they reluctantly made their way toward the paladin. The state of mind Talanwei was in coupled with the goblin assailants being unarmed as they were offered the paladin minimal resistance and he slew the lot of them. It did little to allay his anger and his breath roared through his lungs. When he was trying to find peace in the relative silence Talanwei heard a mewling groan come from just out of his line of sight. The paladin knew that these goblins were not capable of energy manipulation of this type so the moan came from a man, likely a sorcerer. As he got closer the Achadiel saw it was indeed a man; gaunt, wild eyed, and apparently terrified. It took all of Illuminatus' grace for Talanwei not to slay this man on the spot. One life for another right? He had not been terrified when he loosed his spell had he? The paladins mail clinked as he took a handful of robes that had the smell of mildew. The blade, still covered with goblin blood, was flush under the adams apple in the mans thin neck. Swallowing would likely give a moderate wound and beads of sweat personified his nervousness. The perspiration plastered the hair to the mans forehead and his eyes were wide with fear. Talanwei saw this man looked undernourished, almost as a skeleton given life but he brought him closer. This illuminated to Talanwei that his hygiene was not much better.

"Who are you? From where do you hail that these atrocities I have seen here are deemed tolerable? Have you a master?" Talanwei's questions were uttered low and dripping with menace. The sorcerer blinked a few times and began stammering.

"No-n-n-no...I cannot...d-d-ear me. He will surely kill me!" said the man with madness in his eyes. Talanwei's teeth gritted and once again he beseeched Illuminatus to give him the strengh and mercy necessary to let this man live.

"Speak sorcerer, one of my Order lies dead and I am swiftly running out of reasons to let you draw breath," the man began to shake his head immediately and Talanwei continued, "Mark my words as you would a pure and simple truth. If you do not speak I will make any suffering in your life pale in comparison to the things I will do to you."

Talanwei was not prone to torture, nor would he have the fortitude for this even if the man refused to speak...but this mewling coward needed not know this. Talanwei did his best to let his words convey the murder his hands willed him to commit. It did the trick.

"O-oi-ah! Lord Vascillius forgive me..." and with this the man began to speak.

Talanwei closed his green eyes and rubbed them as if this would rid his mind of the memory. What he had been told was a name, locations of others like the gaunt spell caster. The man behind these organized attacks and dark rituals was named Vascillius Dremora, a wizard over fifty yahren. What had surprised the paladin at first was that this man was an old acquaintance of his father from ages before, had even worked beside him once or twice. There was not much that was known about the man. The facts of it were, that Vascillius had disappeared for years and re-emerged inexplicably. The powers at the wizards command had changed drastically from years before. Vascillius could now bend creatures to his will, had a near mastery of manipulating energy of many sorts, and overall had simply become much more dangerous.

Another thing that could not be explained to Talanwei's satisfaction was the reason why this man had seemingly lost any shred of sanity that remained to him. It had taken some time and investigation to find one that knew the whereabouts of the Necromancer. The last place that the man known as Vascillius had been seen was Kislovan and it had been the place where the paladin had come face to face with him for the first time. Talanwei had emerged from the encounter more worse for wear than the wizard and only a vague idea of where he would go next.

Talanwei had commissioned this ship to take him to the northwest tip of the west continent. It had sailed around Tel Aranae Quessir to cover the approach if only somewhat. On this voyage alone the information gathered from locals revealed that there was a citadel on the island they were on course to. He had allies with him, those whose purpose had aligned with his own. Those that had been affected in different ways by Vascillius and now this common threat had made all on this voyage connected. Soon all would find out if theirs would be a fellowship forged from nothing. Talanwei stood, with his thoughts that were his most immediate distraction.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Standing at the front of the ship stood the proud commander of the Emerald Guard. He had his bow in hand and an arrow at the ready, as if he alone would be willing and able to take on whatever enemy the vessel might sail upon. A fierce look of determination was on his face...

Just nights before, while leading new recruits on a training mission, he and his unit had encountered the wizard. Having had plenty of experience with feeling the pain and energy that a wizard could unleash, Draydis had yelled for the inexperienced troops to take cover....but it was far too late. Though Dray had managed to pull down two of the recruits with him, one perished from the fright of the encounter, and another died during a brief battle with an orc patrol while on their way back to the Guard compound.

He had done his best to bury the victims, but Drayds was left alone, and it took all the remaining energy he had to finish the last of the graves. The ship had been seen in the distance as it sailed generally in a direction that would take it past the commander. He signaled to the ship with a flaming arrow shot into the air. He was wounded, tired, hungry, and not wanting to travel through the orc-infested woods on his own.

Several days passed, and his strength had returned. Dray's skin was still blistered in several places where the flames had burnt him, but they were more of an irritation now than anything else. His burnt clothing had been discarded and borrowed ones took their place. His hardened black armor was still functional, though was singed in several places.

It would be in honor of the dead that Draydis would kill the wizard. He knew not why the others were present in the hunt, but he was glad for their company...though those words had yet to be uttered. Draydis had fallen far into a dark place. The recruits were under his command, and they died while with him. It would be his responsibility as Commander to issue notice to the families of the men that had died...and he wanted to be able to let them know that the deaths had been avenged.

Using these periods of solitude, Draydis prayed to the Crone, asking for Her help in allowing him to use the hurt and pain from the encounter to fuel his body in avenging the deceased guardsmen. A brief prayer was uttered audibly to the Crone in which Dray swore to find and kill the wizard so that other innocents would not be so slain.

The spray of salt water on his face stung his eyes, but Draydis wanted to be certain that the wizard did not evade their detection. It was not a time for pain...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion stood several feet behind Dray, watching the fellow adhiels back intently, trying to glean the emerald gaurds mood from his stance. With little success. The Magus was not entirely sure why he had boarded the vessel, never having really experiences sea travel before.....Asht had come to the swift conclusion that this form of travel was not very compatible with his stomach, the contents of which had already been emptied over the side of the ship.

The fitted sky blue robes he wore stirred incessently in the wind, his long golden hair whipping softly also. His golden eyes moved from Dray to the horizion, watching with more than his physical vision. Asht had heard of the wizard they pursued, and his reason for being on the ship became more and more clear. Around the adhiel sorcerers slim waist was his enchanted blade, The Pelegrim, the golden hilt glinting in the light. He was an impressive figure, when he wanted to be.

Forcing a light smile, Ashtallion moved to Dray's side, still watching the waters ahead of them, " Deep in thought, Dray? ", he glanced to the side to see the adhiels reaction, Asht knew himself that he was glad to see the Emerald warrior. " Seems we find ourselves on another little adventure.... "
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The voice of Ashtallion was one that Draydis immediately recognized. It had been a time since they had bested the demon lord in its tower, but the memory of their fight together was a fond one.

He turned to face his friend, and though he was happy to see him, his face bore little expression. The eyes of the commander were almost entirely black where bright blue had once been. Even the whites had darkened. Even though there were no words exchanged with his first glance, a flicker of light danced across his eyes as if to signify recognition.

Dray's demeanor was much more solemn than Ashtallion remembered from their prior adventure. "I lost a lot of good...young men this day to that accursed wizard. They were under my charge..."

It was clear that Dray blamed himself for the loss...but at the same time he did not seem sad about it. "Such is the circle of life. Death awaits us all eventually..." He paused for a moment, only then smiling at his friend...a wicked smile. "...after all, it is death that now pursues that wizard."

He then turned his attention back to the horizon. Watching for the enemy was only part of the reason for looking out so. When travelling on the Mer with Long Tom, Draydis had been told to focus on the horizon to help against the sick feeling that the sea often gave to people. "Keep your eyes to the horizon...it will help with the sickness if you have something constant to look at."

A few flickers went by before he spoke again. "Tell me, my friend...what brings you on this journey?"

DMD Member since 2005
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion turned his golden gaze back to the horizon and seemingly endless stretch of water, " I am sorry, Dray, to hear of your loss.... ", his words were low, " ....and I suppose I am here to help deal with that very wizard. I swore an oath to help stem the tide of evil, and I have a particularly strong sense of duty to counter the influences of dark wizards.... I am a Magus of The Light.... hopefully I will be able to do something to stop this vile sorcerer before he inflicts any more damage on the world and its people. "

The mage noticed the achadhiel in chain mail and an eyebrow rose in interest. " Perhaps even if I can make this sea journey sail a little smoother by holding back any bad weather. Storm magicks aren't something I am overtly familiar with, but hoefully I can help if the need arises. "

Glancing back to Dray, " Don't suppose you know him? ", he gestured with his eyes so as not to drw too much attention, " The achadhiel in the armour... ? "
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis nodded. He had spent a while when first on the boat getting used to the constant rocking motion...and had gotten sick plenty himself. If Ashtallion could calm the waters, it would be helpful, and appreciated, indeed.

Draydis didn't even need to look in order to know about whom Ashtallion was referring. "Nay...I've spent most of my time aboard this vessel right here...waiting...watching. Seems like we should perhaps find out more about this crew that we are with." He smiled a genuine smile for the first time since Ashtallion had approached him. "After all, we should know the people who will be guarding our backs as we kill the wizard."

With that, he turned to his friend and clasped a hand on his shoulder. "It's good seeing you again. I'm glad you are here."

He then looked to the armored warrior. "You! By what name shall we call you?"

DMD Member since 2005
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Talanwei was lost in thought, but not so far gone as to not notice his company on the deck. There had been a man, adhiel that had eyes that were unyieldingly on the horizon. The vessel had stopped to investigate a tell tale distress signal in the form of a flaming arrow piercing the sky. They had found Draydis on the shore and without much conversation the adhiel warrior was aboard. Talanwei could tell Vascillius’ work because it was efficient, and brutal. There was scorched earth and foliage, and the blistered skin of one that got away alive.

The adhiel had kept much to himself for there was not much that he likely cared to speak of at the moment. This Talanwei understood, so he did not press his presence upon him. The lean adhiel had been a constant fixture of sorts at the front of the Grey Morning and with gaze ever forward. Talanwei had his own thoughts to deal with and he had not the moxie to barge in on a strangers. The Achadiel let their silence stand and had begun to lose himself again to memory and the haze of thought concocted by an overactive mind. This was until a man, clad with the robes of a mage, approached the mysterious adhiel.

Come to find out they were both adhiel completely, there was no mistaking this and they were acquaintances. Friends in fact, and Talanwei felt a sick twist of loneliness dig into his breast at the sight. Even with his eyes averted he heard the two of them talk to one another. Not all of their words but enough to divine their conversation adequately. This was without meaning to and he began to make himself feel uncomfortable debating between leaving the two of them to speak and introducing himself. Though these men could each be easily 30 yahren his senior without even looking the age it was not this that stayed him. Not the fact that they had years more experience than he in battle and such. Talanwei, to a fault, was not easily intimidated by these things. These men were not giving any threatening presence to speak of; it was his courteous nature that was holding him to the deck.

The Achadiel felt eyes on him, whose he did not know but there was not much time afforded for him to wonder. It was the adhiel warrior that spoke, asking his name. Talanwei mind inwardly heaved the equivalent of a sigh and he turned to the two men. The wind whipped his hair across his face at this angle but he let it be and spoke.

“I am Talanwei Fortisse,” he then walked toward the two men that watched as he approached. He stood but an arms length away from the two and offered his hand.

“Paladin of Illuminatus, it is ill portent that brings us together but I am pleased to meet you both nonetheless,” his genuine smile crept into his emerald eyes as they met first from Draydis' then Ashtallion's. He needed allies more than anything, time would tell if they would accept him as friend.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis gave the paladin a slight smile. "Illuminatus is one with whom I am familiar. I have fought several times alongside one of your order...Galliban. She is brave beyond description, and serves your order well. It is my honor to meet another that serves as she."

He extended his hand for Talanwei to shake. "I am on a similar path as you, though with the Crone. I have yet to attain the status of paladin, but my journey is underway." He took a moment to consider his words, but decided that it would be of no harm to disclose his identity to the paladin. "I am Draydis Quinn D'anorre, though Dray or Wolf is what most call me. I am the commander of the Emerald Guard of Taquar. I was leading a training mission when a wizard appeared and destroyed all that were with me." A moment was taken before he spoke again...no tears were present, nor was any emotion. It was just as if he was honoring the dead with a brief bit of silence. "They were just kids...they never had fought a wizard before. I was unable to act in time."

Fire could almost be seen in the ever-blackening eyes of the commander. "That wizard will beg for mercy." The words sounded cruel as they were spoken. Though they did not state with any certainty what would happen, the tone more than made up for the lack of description.

He looked off to the horizon once again. For a flicker or two he was silent. Eventually, his eyes met Talanwei's again. "I appreciate you stopping to bring me aboard. My weapons and faith are ready for the good of us all. If your enemy is the wizard as well, then I shall guard your life and your back as if they were my own."

Draydis fell eeriely quiet then as he went back to keeping watch over their surroundings. But, he remained in place with the others to hear the words that Ashtallion would speak...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion regarded Talanwei for several moments while Dray talked. An interesting fellow, a Paladin to Illuminatus.... some devine intervention would certainly come in handy on this excursion. Ashts' eyes held that timeless quality often noted with adhiel, and more so with a mortal touched by sorcery.

Taking Talanwei's hand, his own touch gentle yet commanding, " Magus Ashtallion Urdil, however more recently I am known as Lord Alurl of House Anghiril in Kislovan. ", he flashed a warm smile, " Asht will do though. My friends call be Asht.. ", the sorcerer had to suppress a grimace as Dary painted a picture of what he was going to do with that dark mage. Still, he was talking about a wizard...someone of magic, abeit dark magicks.... but still, a fellow magic user.

" I have yet to encounter this wizard, but from what I have heard, it seems the skills of sorcerer may be useful. I cannot promise I have the power to match him, however if it is within my ability... I'll flay the flesh from his bones, but of course I'll leave enough of him for you Dray. ", he said it so sweetly and innocently, there was no doubt the mage was capable of it. Suddenly he gripped his stomach and his face drained of colour alarmingly swiftly. " Excuse me for a moment gentlemen. ", he ran to the side of the ship and once again heaved its barren contents over the side. For a few minutes he remained there, catching his breath and bearings before returning. " Thats better...for now... ", he didn't look much better though.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

There was a deep rumble of laughter as a fourth party joined the three companions. “Ah, Mal de Mer… well do I remember that feeling,” the creature who called herself Otholio purred. “And I miss it not at all.” There were a great many other things she missed. She did not like to talk about them. Or at least, nobody had asked her and she said nothing about it.

She'd been a lot smaller, once. A bit awkward. Thought about things too much. Now she was all grace and instinct, speed and coiled muscle. With jaws that bit and claws that catched. This was nice, but it hardly made up for the fact that she couldn't read anymore, unless someone was there to turn the pages. She could still count, though. She could count very fast. And in the dark. Sometimes she could count things in the next room, if they smelled or sounded distinctive enough.

“I’d find a place that moves less,” the shadowcat advised Ashtallion kindly. “Port or starboard. But it’s so much more dramatic out on the prow, is it not?”

Otholio chuckled, settling back on great black haunches and sniffing at the sky, enjoying the play of the wind in her fur. “Mmm… smells like rain,” she announced, as though the oppressive cloud-cover were insufficient evidence of the impending storm. “And smoke. Now what, gentlemen, do you suppose is burning?” She took another deep breath and tried to work it out.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis looked briefly at Otholio before going over to Ashtallion and handing him a waterskin. "Here, rinse the taste from your mouth." He looked again at Otholio...she had seemingly appeared from out of nowhere. "She is correct though...the movement is less dramatic towards the center of the ship."

He went back over to Otholio..."And by what name do you go by?"

Draydis briefly looked at both Otholio and the paladin to determine what weapons and armor they had. If it were battle they were heading towards, it would be good to know the abilities of his allies. Ashtallion was already known, and Dray would trust the wizard with his life. These two new ones had yet to be proven...

DMD Member since 2005
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

He slept. No reason to tire himself out on board the ship. Vascillius could not be reached faster if he was impatient. Gavin knew patience. He had hunted the wizard for several months now. Each time he got close the dark mage slipped away. The bounty hunter was not alarmed though. Given enough time he would get his quarry. The bounty was big enough so that he did not mind the fact it was taking way more than usual. It was nothing personal, but it was not only the money he was here for. The mage was an abomination and needed to be stopped. The mere fact that someone was willing to offer eight hundred crowns for his head was a bonus. Nothing else. He would have done it for free.

It was the voices up on the deck that woke him up. For several days now, he stayed in his cabin, eating the rations he brought, and emerging only at night to get something from the cook. People were talking. Straining his ears, Gavin thought he recognized two voices. Two out of three. No four. There is a girl there too. Slowly he donned his heavy armor and slipped his head through the sword strap. Rolling his shoulders to allow the steel plates to settle more comfortably on his body, knowing full well that unless he did it, he would suffer terrible fatigue later. He could go on for done with a properly donned armor. Or mere marks with a hasty job.

Emerging from bellow deck, he took a couple of flickers to allow his eyes to adjust to the light. Immediately he recognized two faces and smiled. But, he did not approach yet. Letting them talk for a while, he lingered a bit to the side and listened. The female was some sort of a talking cat, and instantly reminded him of Tahnne and Bretthais. Only they were two and not one. The third man appeared to be Achadhiel and a warrior of sorts. It was clear by his posture. It was time to approach, as to linger back till he was noticed would be rude. With sure strides the tall man made his way to them. "Hi there. Good to see you, even though your conversation woke me up." He grinned, looking at all those present.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray noticed Gavin immediately upon his appearance on the deck for two reasons...he was facing in that direction, and Gavin was of a size that makes him almost immediately recognizable.

Without a smile, the commander spoke, the paladin and Otholio between Gavin and himself. "It appears, good sir, that our waking of you did indeed interrupt your beauty sleep. Perhaps if you have issue with our conversation, you can back it up with that steel you carry...I would suspect as a mere decoration."

The words came out harsh, as if they were an insult designed to cut deep...

Time passed, and eventually, Dray let out a surprising loud laugh. "You big bastard! Good to see you here!"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Post by Niamh Windwalker »

Solitary and draped about in a cloak only faintly ruffled by the hearty breeze, Niamh curled comfortably in the ships rigging, half perched with legs wrapped around an outjutting spar, her back leaning against the mast. The breeze and her sharp ears carried the sound of voices easily to her ears, though a word or two melded with the snapping of sail and the rush of waves sloshing against the prow, lost forever to her hearing.

Her appearance among them was somewhat of an anomaly, having appeared just before the Paladin of Illuminatus had departed Kislovan, a musical, vaguely feminine voice remarking her desire to join his fight, her tone tight and full of restrained fury. She was one of few survivor's that had survived the Wizard's destruction of her home on Pan's Isle, one of few of those few who had left to repay that destruction in kind. She was the last of those who had departed the Kanthrop homeland in revenge to reach the shores were Talanwei now departed, his own persecution of the Wizard enough to garner her trust. Little was known beyond her name -Niamh - and her origin - Pan's Isle.

Long limber limbs were rarely seen beyond the sweep of her long cloak, a deep hood hiding a face that any of them had yet to truly see. The ripples of air had revealed glimpses of features cast in normal human manner, though the barest glint of light on eyes hinted at something other than usual. Strange beings emerged from Pan's Isle, and she was but one of many oddities seen in that land full of nymphs, centaurs and dryads.

Since the time of her first arrival, she had been a silent shadow in Talanwei's footsteps, even watching over his sleep - protecting something that had potential to inflict injury on her enemy. Her movements were silent, her hard leather soles trimmed in silencing soft leather, a bow and quiver always at hand, and several sheathed knives dangling from a purple, beaded and woven famirl that encircled her waist. Her garments were leather and woven fabric, twined and beaded in somewhat primitive fashions.

Until this moment, she had seemed content (perhaps even unnoticed) perched rather high and observant above the gathering below - where the whole ship spread beneath her sharp eyes. A rope quickly came to hand, however, as she noted those gathering about the Paladin, her weight shifting as the fingerless leather gloves spared her the burning of a rapid decent as she wrapped one leg around and sped suddenly to the deck, landing with knees slightly bent and seeming no worse for the wear. For all the equipment she carried, there had been little sound beyond the gentle thump of her landing feet.

Silent, not acknowledging the others, she slid a step or two behind the Paladin, watchful. Her secrets were her own, but her exceptional senses and unswerving devotion to their joined cause might soothe those who might otherwise be suspicious. Of late, the forced gruffness of her voice gave way to one as lovely and enchanting as her hidden face was not. Perhaps in the days to come, more speech might be conjured from the depths of her enigmatic hood.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

The exchange of greetings was rapid but mostly good natured. The two adhiel were good friends of that Talanwei needed no verbal confirmation. Asht and Dray, two men that seemed they would be fully able of handling their own in a battle with...well just about anyone. Of this Talanwei was glad, a Magi was a welcome addition to their group for the abilities that the Achadiel held only merely scraped the surface of Magick. The Adhiel commander in Dray would prove invaluable, he had proven himself a stalwart scout in the short time he had been watching the horizon for danger and Talanwei was no fool, those calloused hands had felt both sword hilt and bow.

The paladin thanked Illuminatus for giving him allies that had experience and their fellowship with one another would prove the foundation that would bring them all together. It seemed that Talanwei would find himself having to prove his abilities to these men. The Achadiel grinned at the thought; he had no problems with that because he was confident in his swordsmanship. Unconsciously he touched the hilt of his sword on his right hip with right hand. Its pommel was set with a large sapphire and the handle was wrapped with perforated black leather. Along the inside of the blade past its sharp edges were intricate etchings that were the words of Illuminatus in Adhiel. They served the dual purpose of aesthetics and to easier channel the holy flame that the paladin could summon. His shield was secured on his back that bore the crest of Illuminatus. It was silver with blue and teardrop shaped. Underneath the shield his second blade which was a shorter sword was half concealed. It was tilted to the right so that his less dominant arm could draw it without difficulty. When a situation got dangerous it was there to even the odds in most cases.

To his side, a shadowcat sauntered up to the group of three men. Her lustrous black fur was whipped about in the wind and she looked to the sky smelling the prevailing smoke. To the feline’s nose it was likely a horrible miasma and for this Talanwei’s heart went to her. Her voice was a low purr as she spoke and Talanwei regarded her. It was amazing that the creature had the mastery of speech, and she was undeniably female. Though they had met, the paladin cursed himself for not remembering her name. Dray asked her name and before she could answer another companion showed himself. It was the large bounty hunter known as Gavin. The man was a mountain of muscle and heavily bearded. The bounty hunter had his own reasons for chasing the wizard; no doubt the large bounty but this alone wouldn’t have aligned him with the paladin. Most of his time on the ship had been spent below deck sleeping and eating. It seemed an almost hibernation and whether this was to avoid contact with others or to simply conserve strength Talanwei could only guess at.

There was an utterance from Dray to the large warrior that sounded incendiary and a tense moment passed until it melted into a booming laugh. This brought Talanwei from musing and he chuckled at the change in Dray’s demeanor. Obviously this was another that the adhiel counted as friend. That made three of them that had journeyed together in some capacity. Talanwei didn’t hear Niamh approach but he felt her presence behind him. Since she had joined him in Kislovan he had become acclimated to her constant close proximity. He found her intriguing above all else and she held an exotic quality to the young paladin. Perhaps it was the pale gold of her eyes; maybe the animal like grace she exhibited or even the rich melodic quality of her voice but Talanwei could not be completely sure. Niamh had proved a steady companion albeit a quiet one. The paladin had taken it upon himself to bring her out of her aloof shell because he had a suspicion that she would be a loyal ally as well.

“Now, now, before you both get into reminiscing of old times, let’s finish with the introductions,” Talanwei’s tone was good natured and painted with laughter. He cast a glance behind him at Niamh and stepped to one side revealing the lithe figure of the Kanthrop female.

“This, my friends, is my veritable shadow. Her name is Niamh,” said Talanwei indicating with a hand. He then turned his gaze back to the men in front of him. She did not speak but he thought he saw her nod and he spoke.

“Now, I know that all of us pursue the same man. Some of us know him more than others; have encountered him more than once or twice. Nonetheless the wizard known as Vascillius has had his destructive hands in the lives of us all in some capacity. I guess what I ask of you all is your personal reasoning behind your decision to join this quest. I have not had much opportunity to speak with each of you and I simply am curious what fates have brought us together,” Talanwei’s words were spoken evenly connecting eyes with all of those present. Their thoughts were evident on their faces even as the first of the group spoke.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: Sorry I wasn't clear enough, guys. Not a man, just a cat... I hope I'm not taking too many liberties here...

"Well spoken, Sir Fortisse. I go by the name Otholio, these days - Lio, if you prefer." The panther-like creature had not appeared out of nowhere, as Dryadis had thought. Like Gavin, she had been sleeping to conserve her energy, somewhere undisturbed in the bowels of the ship where she would not alarm any unwary souls who crossed her path. Unlike Gavin, she'd also had to digest the entire cow she'd eaten just before she'd gotten on board. Prey was unfortunately scarce upon the Grey Morning.

Lio stood around 5 feet and 4 inches in length, with no visible armour save her hide, and no weaponry save her fangs and claws. She would not be much use in a firefight, and it was questionable how well she would fare in a throng.

But hunting and scouting, one-on-one, and in the darkness, she would be difficult to match. Her animal senses would likely equal, if not surpass, the Kanthrop's.

"As for why I came - well, it was an accident. The hunting's rather poor in Dort. I was headed for Sierra." Otholio's tongue rolled out with feline good humour. "And silly me, I got on the wrong boat." Actually, it had been the only boat prepared to take on a giant talking cat. Her feelings had been somewhat hurt by that - not that she would ever admit it - but once she'd heard about the quest to destroy the wizard, she believed she'd finally found the reason for her change.

Not that she would ever admit to such mystical fate-and-fortune claptrap either. "Thought I might come in handy. That is all."

EDIT: probably overpowered the character with the dematerialising bit... sorry bout that
Last edited by Turi on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion had the taken the water gratefully, glad to have the taste of vomit from his mouth. He openly appraised the feline creature, deeply interested as to what she actually was. I will find out later... I'm more interested in knowing about this sorcerer.

" Its a pleasure to know you all, with the skills and strength here... I'm sure the dark mage will be brought to justice soon enough... ", he paused, cocking his head to the side and then looking upwards towards the sky. He frowned slightly before continuing... " Speaking of the wizard.. ", he glanced to the other present, " Can you give me any idea as to how powerful he is? Any particular sorcereries he seemed to favour? "
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked to Ashtallion when he asked about the powers of the wizard. "I know little about sorcery other than what it feels like to be on the receiving end. All I know about him was that he appeared seemingly from nowhere and before I could react, the entire area had erupted in incredibly hot flames...several of the guardsmen with me were reduced to skeletons by the blast. It definitely was not a regular fire." Dray looked off to the horizon in front of them. "I hope that helps somehow..."

He turned and walked a few paces back towards the front of the ship and resumed his watching of the horizon for signs of their enemy in silence. If any observed him carefully, a small pool of blood was beginning to form by his right foot. The drops of blood slowly making it grow in size....dropping from his clenched fist...

DMD Member since 2005
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Ashtallion wrote:"Can you give me any idea as to how powerful he is? Any particular sorcereries he seemed to favour?"

She had watched in silence, features and thoughts hidden in the deep cowl, though her head lifted slightly, cocking to one side towards Ashtallion.

"All I know, Mage, is that he plucked my village from it's place and dashed it into pieces upon the Isle. Earthshakes, ground eruptions, rains of fire - even nightmares he dragged into being to taunt us from the bowels of the earth. Our Shaman believed he had aligned himself with evil beings, to call on such power. To defeat him, it will take the skills of an opposite power to contain the destruction of such a battle." In reality the young kanthrop did not feel as steady and confident as the deep, lyrical gruffness that emerged as her voice. The cowl's depths swung towards the Paladin, dipping briefly in a nod at the most concise explanation of why she followed him. This was, perhaps, the longest string of words she had yet spoken in this company, and with a slight bow, she stepped back from the conversation, watchful. The reality of dead companions and destruction of one's home lingered clearly in her Mind's Eye, a constant prod that kept her from losing sight of her goal.

Not one for strategizing or planning, she turned then to watch the strangely adorned Adhiel as he withdrew. The Paladin knew enough of her abilities, she felt, to give her suitable tasks upon arrival. Her skills were that of action, not of planning - and she had only to be given an objective.

The creature, Draydis, bore the hidden wounds of death much deeper than the few minor injuries he may be sporting from his experience. She felt a kinship of loss with him, and while she respected his withdrawal, after a few flickers her slow footsteps pattered lightly in his direction. She paused a respectful distance away, at least two armspans, to allow the man his privacy if he didn't respond."

"The scars of battle should be from the enemy, not ourselves." Her tone was similar as it had been before, an odd mix of musical gruffness that did not quite hide the feminine cadence of her voice, and the ever-so faint note of concern. "But if you have an injury, it should be tended, so we are at full strength to defeat this evil."

Despite her brief speech with Draydis, the Kanthrop kept half of her attention at the group behind and somewhat to the side, making sure there were no unexpected threats appearing.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis barely heard the approach of the woman...it wasn't that he wanted to be alone...he just wanted a moment to make a silent oath...

He listened to her speak, and her words were understood and appreciated...not for the concern of the wound on his hand, but for her seemingly understanding his feelings of loss. Slowly he turned and without replying right away, he opened his hand to reveal the wound. Buried deep into the flesh of his palm was a single arrow head. In clenching his fist tightly, the adhiel had caused the wound himself.

"This one is for the men that lost their lives...I will personally deliver it to the wizard. The pain from all our loss will transfer to him in an instant...and he will know the weight of his wrongs."

The adhiel had sworn by his own blood that the wizard would pay...not only for the pain he had been witness to firsthand, but also for all the other death and destruction that he had inflicted on the world.

With that, Draydis placed the arrowhead back into his palm and squeezed it once again. "The wound will heal...but thank you." He was about to resume his silence, but then decided that hiding in solitude would only allow the anger to build, which would harm his ability to think clearly. Hate was a potent fuel, but too much of it would consume rational thoughts.

He smiled at his new friend. "I pride myself on my ability to hear others approach...yet you were all but undetectable. Tell me, can you teach others now to move like you do?" After thinking for a moment, he shook his head. "Nay...we will have time for that later, perhaps. First, we need to focus on this task..."

The commander turned to face the others. "This wizard has truly terrible power, and will not hesitate to unleash it upon us all. I have faith that the Mother will aid us in our duty, I can shoot a coronet with my bow from fifty paces, and I am proficient in most weapons. However, against the flames of the wizard, I alone will quickly perish. A disorganized attack will be certain death....we must plan." He looked to each of those gathered. "We must utilize the skills and talents we each possess, and take advantage of the weaknesses our enemy hopefully has."

OOC: edited to correct my mistake in regard to the panter reference... :)
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

OOC: Dray, sorry, this is Niamh the kanthrop female - human shape in all ways and likely thought of as slightly strange, but human. Turelie was the panther. ;)
[hr]

The man's use of the arrowhead as a physcial prod seemed strange to her, and yet her own customs - should she practice them widely - might also seem strange to these others. She acknowledged his question about her movements, secretly pleased that her skills had not grown lax during the time spent in the Paladin's company.

With Draydis return to the group she too returned, sliding into position as Talanwei's shadow, listening intently.[/hr]
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Darkmages have been known to ally with demons and dark deities in order to gain power.... it is possible the wizard is also a conduit for some demon, its power channelling directly through the sorcerer. In which case that may complicate matters. ", he glanced to Dray and the Niamh, his eyes hard and unrelenting, " Your descriptions give me an idea yes... elemental magicks mainly, that I can counter, its what I am most proficient at.... anything else will require some quick thinking and creativity on my part. ", he smiled, a small one just for himself.

" I am a Magus of The Light. My power is far from absolute, but magically, I will your light against the dark as much as I can...... ", again he looked to the clouds and then out to the sea, wondering if a storm would indeed break the heavens. Sea magicks and weather altering were strange concepts to him, yet he held an aptitude for the elements, so he was confident he could do something, already he was thinking of ways of combining wind and water incase they were by chance attacked from another vessel at sea. Lightning and fire would only carry so far over the water.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Something about the talk of magic sparked a memory in Dray's mind. He had heard Kael talk once about ritual magic...and how it required blood. He also knew it was sometimes considered to be a...bad...use of magic.

"Lord Ashtallion," Dray smiled slightly at the sound of the new title of his friend, but wanted to grant the mage his due respect. "I intend to re-fasten this arrow head, " showing the piece of metal in his bloodied hand to his friend, "to an arrow and use that in fighting the mage. My blood alone will do nothing to the mage....but I've heard that magic can be used along with blood to do things. While my blood alone is powerless, my faith in the Mother is absolute...and I'd like to think that her spirit runs through me completely. Is there something you could do to this to make it have a stronger impact on the wizard when he is hit by the arrow?"

Draydis was truly clueless if his question was about something that was even possible...or if it even made sense...

DMD Member since 2005
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

It was first Otholio that responded to the paladin’s query. The shadowcat had spoken of simply getting on the wrong ship. Talanwei knew that this may have been part of the case but not many ships he knew of would take aboard a talking cat. Was cat the word for her? Lio was as large as a panther at the least and there were coils of muscle that stood out on her lithe body. The paladin then watched in disbelief as the large padded paw then held razors in their folds of fur passed through the solid wood of the railing. This creature could speak, could make her body pass through objects, plus she could likely see better than them all in pitch darkness. Not to mention the claws and teeth she was equipped with. The half-adhiel knew this would come in handy in a pinch. His approval was open and unabashed for Talanwei had never seen an ability of its like.

Asht then spoke, asking of the sorcerer and his powers. Aside from the adhiel sorcerer, Otholio was the only other present that hadn’t seen Vascillius’ power first hand. Talanwei listened as Dray spoke first of flames hotter than any natural blaze; these Talanwei had seen and if it weren’t for an ally’s sacrifice he would likely not be here this day. The paladin knew the smell of scorched flesh, and the sulphurous smell of charred ash. He pushed the memory to the darkness of his mind and listened further. Then Niamh with possibly one of the longest statements he had heard her speak illustrated what the mage had done to her home. Talanwei could feel her anger from where he stood, the Achadiel figured that once this woman made an enemy it was likely set in stone. He was glad to be on the opposite spectrum to be sure. Though the paladin had not seen the wizard perform a feat as great as moving pieces of land; he would not dismiss it in the slightest. The crashing of the island had sent figurative ripples through the Seven Isles, almost all knew of its occurrence but it was Vascillius’ style to make as big and violent a statement as possible.

Dray turned away from the group for a moment and Talanwei eyed the clenched fist that was shaking ever so slightly. Blood dripped into a carmine puddle by his foot and Talanwei looked back to Ashtallion. He did not worry overmuch because his friend Niamh went to speak to him. It was then that Asht spoke of his abilities and the proficiency he held with countering elemental magicks. When he indicated the complications that would arise if the sorcerer was channeling demonic power Talanwei’s heart took a sick dip into his stomach. Again unbidden memory struck. It was of the last mage that he and Niamh had encountered and consequently had to dispatch. When they thought they had subdued the man completely, questioning had yielded more information than the paladin thought he cared to know. The Achadiel remembered his words and what happened perfectly.

The mage known as Felamo Hedegarn sneered at his captors. Talanwei and Niamh had not been gentle to this man. Blood was trickling from his lip and a small cut on his cheek. At a word, Niamh could make a new hole in the man's throat through which he could breathe. Talanwei had initially had the typical male protective instinct toward the small framed woman. This had been laid to rest rather soundly after she had snatched him from the jaws of death more than once. Niamh's swift and precise attacks had proven her ability and the achadiel had said not a word since. Besides, she refused to be anywhere but by his side. There was no arguing with the woman.

The paladin knelt in front of the bound man and looked into his eyes. Talanwei's eyes were cold, he had seen much death since Vascillius had entered like a hurricane into his life and he harbored no sympathy. This man would yet live, however it seemed the custom of men that were followers of the mad wizard to risk their lives on attack.

"Where is he?" it was a simple question, no frilly words, no friendly coercion, "Why does he do these things, what is his purpose for torturing the Isles?"

Talanewei leaned to avoid the spit from the mans mouth at the questions. He resisted the urge to strike Felamo and looked back at him. The mage smirked and scooted forward opening his mouth to speak.

“You want to find him? Are you aware of Le Bois de Noir? Make your journey in that direction, you will surely find something. As for his purpose," at this the man seemed to swell with pride, "Lord Vascillius is going to rip asunder the barrier between this world and the Nether. Though he has not yet mastered his craft, by the time you fools reach him all of your work will have been for naught. You will fall before his power as so many have already!!”

This man, who looked as if it was all simply too rich a joke to handle started to laugh long and loud. As his laughing progressed, it became more guttural and deep until it was nearly a growl. Talanwei thought he had surely gone mad and looked up at Niamh. Felamo's laughter melted into a rasping cough that wracked his whole body and he started to thrash from side to side. Both Niamh and Talanwei then began to witness a horrifying sight. Felamo's body started to grow and his muscles to thicken. It was sickening to see because the man did not have enough skin to allow such growth, and with a twist and pop of his shoulder the leather thong holding back hands tore as paper. Thank Illuminatus the paladin’s reflexes were quick and he had leaped backwards as what was previously a thin sorcerer swiped at him with maniac fervor. Fingers that had turned into claws ripped through cloth like tissue and sent actual sparks from his mail beneath. Luckily the female warrior in Niamh was even quicker than he and was on the beast in an instant as the Paladin cleared striking range. With her own hands she plunged one of her knives into the beast’s shoulder throwing off its subsequent charge at the retreating Talanwei. Another wide swipe found nothing as the space where she had attacked was empty air once more. Niamh moved as quicksilver spinning away from the deadly embrace. The half-adhiel’s eyes traced the flight of three maybe four knives that struck the beast in the throat. It stumbled and that was all Talanwei needed. He dashed forward with hands on both hilts and he spun as he drew. The scream of his blades as they left their sheath was all the beast heard as they clove two lines through its face. Both blades were then plunged to the hilt into the chest of the beast ensuring its death.

Upon looking at the body, where the muscle had grown the densest, the skin drew thin and tore as fabric pulled too tight. In the space of moments the Felamo had grown nearly twice his size. There was a rank stench of sulphur and what was underneath skin was blackened and had started to harden as an exoskeleton of an insect. It was as if what was lying before them had tried to claw its way through the mans body into the Tether. Aside from the deep cuts the Paladin had put in the face of the creature, he saw that fangs had replaced teeth. Where the corners human’s mouth would have ended, it had torn and elongated revealing more teeth than any mortal or animal he had known. Talanwei had not seen a demon before but he knew with this that the mage’s reference to the Nether was not an idle one.

Talanwei heard Dray speak, knew he had asked a question but in his reverie he had not heard what it was. He gave the Emerald Guard commander and apologetic look and spoke.

“My friend I apologize for interrupting,” he then turned to Asht, “You spoke of channeling the power of...demons. The acolytes and mages I have slain until this point have been mere servants but in the last engagement before we encountered you in our travels Niamh and myself killed what I believe was a demon...of sorts. It seemed to use the body of a sorcerer as a gate, for lack of a better word, to attack the two of us. If we had not slain it quickly I fear that it would have simply torn out of his body. He also spoke of Vascillius trying to break the barrier between our world and the Nether. The powers of this man we chase, I fear, may go farther than just fire and lightning," even as he spoke, the paladin shivered at the memory. Then thought of the things Vascillius was capable of by this point.

Talanwei knew this news was not what anyone wanted to hear, especially Asht. According to the adhiel’s words this situation was becoming all the more complicated.

[hr]
ooc: wooh!! You guys buried me with posts today! Darn work *shakes fist*

I took a few liberties Niamh, if they're too much just let me know ;)[/hr]
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: Hey, sorry guys, I should have check with you all before I wrote it in, but the 'dematerialising' probably overpowered the character so could we edit it out? Also sorry that I'm not able to write as frequent or in-depth posts as the rest of you... time is a bit of an issue...

Return to “Erulzat Archives”