What Manner of Sorcery is This? [~Open!!~] Sam 29 GT

Moderator: Mods

Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Keaira Morgandy »

She felt exhilarated as she lifted from the ground and into the air, though Keaira was a bit startled when she flew right past Janus. A smile played on her lips as he showed her how to restrain the energy, and the soft laugh that purred from her lips was a mixture of amusement and dark pleasure. It felt good.

Giving a curt nod to Janus' advice, Keaira gazed out across the city, feeling important and powerful. At his request her intense azure orbs narrowed acutely. She remembered the feeling of that sorceror's energy, the way it had felt as it swirled around her. I will strike you down, she thought maliciously. Then, concentrating on that feeling, she searched for it again, allowing her mind to wander, her thoughts to seek Ashtallion out as an animal seeks water.
[size=75]'All things truly wicked start from an innocence.'
-- [i]Ernest Hemingway[/i][/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion smiled grimly at Talanwei's repsonse. " I know what you mean. ", his eyes followed the achadhiels skywards for a moment, " So unlike Tazlure.... yet.... ", he held up a hand and allowed a miniscule thread of sorcery to wrap itself around his fingers, a golden glow pulsing from them to the normal eye. " ......I find myself appreciating some of its strange side affects. The truth of the matter is that things would have occured differently back there had I not been this arcanic. On Tazlure...the real Tazlure...Janus would have ripped me apart in flickers, and everyone else just as easily. ", the waves his hand and the glow faded like smoke drifting from his fingertips.

" I need to practice some more...hone my senses...this much power is overwhelming. Its easier simply to let it thunder out of me rather than try to control it, but I'll need to be careful and not turn myself to cinders. ", he snorted a harsh laugh. " Not that it will do much good....Janus still seems to possess vast magics and fended my own off deftly. Still, who knows how we'll be affected by this world....mayhap I'll find my own unique source to tap into. "

Ashtallion wanted to quest once more, but control his power more tightly this time. Yet the appearance of the aetheric parasites intrigued him more. He wandered over to Marius, keeping an eye on the creatures. Janus had spawned these things? Well, lets see if I can use them then...., he never expected this to work, but it was worth a try. With a lazy finger, but an iron will, he formed a small hoop of binding sorcery and cast it out at one of the parasites, seeking to trap it within his binding force.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Where Ashtallion’s power had flowed across the city, Keaira’s sense shot with the accurate narrow path of a bowshot. It was the gilded soul of the sorcerer that the young woman’s sense touched first. It was shining with a healthy refulgence and Janus did not even bother to taint the image of him. There was no need, Keaira would likely have a distaste for the sight anyway…if perhaps this was not the case, he was relatively sure that the lure of power would override this. The man beheld was strong, that much was immediately certain. Sorcery was steeped in Asht’s very skin and with the threshold of his power pushed so far back he would prove troublesome.

Overlapping this aura was the soul of Talanwei who was the closest to Ashtallion. It was a brilliant white and pulsing with the power of Illuminatus. The Achadiel was going to prove troublesome because, in Janus’ experience, the power from a God proved to be limitless. If Talanwei proved to be proficient in wielding this power, Janus would simply have to test the limits of this for his body would certainly give out after enough coercion.

The most activity would be found around the three figures of Draydis, Marius, and Shelly. It was a shattered, chaotic kaleidoscope of color. The green aura of the Emerald guardsman was being siphoned out of him and if she wished Keaira could follow its path through Janus who was making it her own. It had a predatory sensuality to Janus, the fact that one was being drained of strength to empower his Keaira. His porcelain lidded eyes closed over violet orbs as he savored the thought for a few flickers. Almond shaped eyes beheld her once more with the smile that the young woman was beginning to make a regular occurrence.

"Now…" Janus said and paused looking off to the south, "what would you like to do Keaira?"

***~~*~~***

Ashtallion remained calm in the face of the parasitic creatures, which was the exact opposite of Shelly, who had seen her teacher laid low by these very beasts before he was able to exert control. However, it was this that served the magus when he attempted his sorcery. The focus he put into the endeavour caused the shimmering thread to glow nearly white as it circled around the nearest beast.

"Ashtallion! No~!...?" Shelly's words turned into a look of shock as it began to have a result. Constrained it could no longer suck energy from Draydis. It writhed as a worm used for fishing would when put on a hook. Her face was clear with wonder and she seemed to all at once come back to reality.

"Ah! That's the way sugar!" her voice excited, yet still tinged with worry continued, "wrap him up completely! Once you do that, remove all the energy from the inside of the barrier...see if we can suffocate the sucker!"

Shelly prayed that the Adhiel understood her, because if he failed, Draydis would likely die. Talanwei had listened to her intently and reached out with the power of Illuminatus behind him. It was much more difficult for the Achadiel to rein in one of the beasts and he struggled with it valiantly. Talanwei could tangibly see each of them hungrily ingesting the blessing of the Mother through Draydis and he was intending to sever their gluttonous feasting with a wall of light.

If Ashtallion succeeded in killing one of the parasites, it would only better the situation, so Talanwei put his all into assisting him. Though Dray had not reacted yet, any resistance he could offer would likely help.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Keaira smiled mockingly at the shining souls of Ashtallion and Talanwei. Such good auras never had the tenacity to reach out and grasp what was offered to them. They were too much concerned with what was "good" and "right."

A soft purr came from her lips as she chuckled again, her arms crossing beneath her ample bosom. Hugging her sides, she thought for a moment. "I would like to kill all of them, but that will be difficult on my own. However, they are clearly..good people." The comment was snide; she obviously didn't think much of said good people. "If they thought I was in danger, they would no doubt let me into their little group. Perhaps we can trick them."

Turning her back to the view of the city, Keaira moved in front of Janus and leaned against him, her arms snaking around his waist as her head came to rest on his chest. She was not being sensual; it was the tangible power about him that made her want to be near. A small smile played on her lips as she continued. "Let them find us in a position that paints you as my enemy. When they arrive you can take your leave, and I will learn their secrets for you."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The magus' attention was fixed on the struggling parasite, though he heard Shelly's word all too well. Such was what he intended, the rip the energy back out of the incidious creature. " Just what I had in mind, my dear.... ", his voice was low and cold, his face a frozen expression of cool detachment, yet his golden eyes burned with interest and something....else.

Asht moved closer to the parasite until he was arms width away and placed both hands at either side of the creature. Evidently it knew what was coming, on some level its frantic struggle though was pointless. " Lets see if Janus can sense this. ", his words were hissed through his teeth as both hands jerked slightly and strange spidery words tumbled from his lips. His sorcery enveloped the creature, however this time he pulled at the threads of energy that infused the parasite. A different energy that was he was used to, but an energy he had encountered before so the feel of it was not so surprising to him.

His upper lip curled into a sneer as he literally ripped the creature apart, drawing the Mothers energy out of it.

When done with the one he had held...his attention swung to the other parasites and his sorcery expanded to engulf them. With his new prowess it should prove an easier task....and he started to drain every one of them, channelling the power back towards Dray, a visable stream of energy, slithering its way through the air, encircling the mage before being directed by him.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

The warmth of the Mother's blessing touched the guardsman for only a moment. The energy from Her felt a thousand times stronger in this world than it ever had before. And then suddenly, it was gone...and then some.

The adhiel felt his life force draining quickly. He had told the Mother to give some of himself to Marius to aid in his healing, and his prayer had apparently been heard. Only after a few flickers longer did Dray realize that something terrible had actually happened. He knew not what was going on other than that his life was now in danger.

The voices of the others were a blur of sound and his eyes lost focus. From deep within, he called on all his strength to resist the drain that had already robbed him of most of his energy. The problem was that the guardsman knew not how to resist, and furthermore, did not even know that resisting the drain was what needed to happen. Instead, he fought physically and mentally to stay alive. He knew his life was being taken, and he was not yet ready to perish. With that in mind, Dray focused on the world that was around him, the people that were present, and began to will his body to continue functioning.

His sight and hearing were still unable to focus on the others around him, so he tried to focus on only one thing...Shelly. He tried to find her image in his memory and piece together the parts that his eyes were not able to obtain. He tried to pull her voice out of the chaos of sounds in the air, and held on to it like it was the only thing that would keep him alive.

Though he knew calling on the power of the Mother was what started this feeling for him, not once did Draydis doubt his faith or blame Her. There was something else that happened. She would never harm one of Her children...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Janus’ grin was still sitting on his lips as she spoke of the desire to kill them. Her furthered idea was an ingenious one and the mage nodded; his gaze still on the dying sky. She was a woman after his favor and all she was doing was what came natural from deep within her. It was likely a part of her that others did not see often if at all. Humans wouldn’t understand, Janus however understood all too well the thirst for bettering ones mastery over self, others and even ones surroundings. When Keaira came to him and wrapped arms around his waist that was only a few inches wider than her own on either side, the dark mage embraced her readily. One arm came around her shoulders and the other cradled her head to his chest as he stroked the nape of Keaira’s neck.

"Not a terrible idea, it would give you a chance to further explore your own abilities and ability to deceive these naïve fools, perhaps exploit them a bit," said Janus pensively. He was occupied with his thoughts when he felt one of his foul creations torn to shreds by Asht’s sorcery. It was no matter. There was no way the pretentious elf mage would be able to destroy their core that was nearly woven with the soul of the aging Marius. Enough power had already been given Keaira to make her formidable enough to run Talanwei through the paces. If she and Ashtallion came to a test of sorcery however, well, the young woman simply was not ready for that. Draydis was the most fervently devoted to his Goddess from what Janus could see and she clearly favored her Emerald Guardsman. At that moment however, the dark mage knew that the sapped strength would take its toll.

"He tries to insult me, my dear Keaira. Soon you will be capable of things far more fantastic than he…" said Janus, still embracing the woman. He leaned back slightly to look into her eyes and it was a measuring look.

"We have to make this convincing enough for them to welcome you into their fold. I may need to be quite heavy handed with you for the mage to believe this; the half elf will no doubt come to your aid immediately…the fool that he is," Janus had adopted a thoughtful tone, "you must understand that I would not harm you child, but the things I do frighten some…are you prepared for this?"

***~~*~~***

What had been a difficult task to Talanwei had become simpler when Draydis weighed in with his resolve. Though he was unsure of how to approach his resistance, the parasitic creatures were faced with an iron will. This made them halt momentarily in their consumption and was all that Talanwei needed. A wall of light only perceptible by sorceric sense slammed into place in the face of the beasts and they could not siphon away more of Draydis’ strength.

Ashtallion meanwhile was coming into his own and his confidence in his stronger power was serving him well. The first parasite was torn to bits of nothingness and he concentrated on the second, doing much of the same only with more speed. Even with their rudimentary intelligence, the beings sensed danger and instead of remaining revealed and be destroyed, they retreated into Marius’ body. Curling tightly deep within him, Ashtallion could see how closely bound the centre of them was to his very life force. In this dormant state, Marius had received the residual energy that had been left of the Mother’s power. The larger part of said energy that had not been taken by Janus flowed lazily back into Draydis through Asht’s manipulation. For just a moment, Asht could feel the sick taint of Janus’ sorcery as the mages crossed in the Aether. With the influx of energy Marius gasped as his eyelids fluttered weakly.

"Put me…put me down for a moment…" said Marius in a labored voice. Shelly immediately obliged and once Draydis pulled away, the Mother’s power caressed him. He had already known that the Goddess would not harm him and this only further reinforced this fact in the Emerald Guardman’s mind. Shelly's eyes welled up with tears and the strong woman had reached a breaking point. Slowly she sank to her knees and sat on her heels, trying to stifle her sobbing.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion cursed as the parasites retreated into the older sorcerer, their connection to Marius making any further extraction impossible. He would have to study the old mage and the aether creatures more closely before he attempted to remove them, and unfortunately, time was not something he had. The magus wanted Janus. His growing power demanded release, he could feel the sorcery within him, howling with hunger. It thundered through his viens and swirled with possibilties in his mind. Already he was coming up with new applications of his power, ways in which to twist energy, bend the elements to his will.

He knew he could do it aswell. The answer lay within him. His soul, capable already of holding a goodly amount of power, now swelled, singing with unending bloodlust. Control though, was his. Pulling back his golden hair, he turned his equally metallic gaze away from the elder adhiel, yet still feeling momentarily the tainted sensation of Janus. There had to be a connection there....a trail....

Both of his hands rose, a white glow pulsing around them suddenly as he gathered pure aether to him, channelling the power. His mind caressed the sickness that was Janus, the utter corruption. With closed eyes and his head tilted back slightly, the sorcerer sought to grasp hold of the strands of power that fed their way back to Janus. It was a long shot and he would have moments to grasp them once, or if, he felt the connecting threads of dark magic.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray felt the warmth of the Mother once again pour into him. A smile crossed his face when his faith was rewarded. He had known the Mother would not harm him, and his devotion was even stronger as a result.

However, much of his strength had faded from the drain. It was slowly returning, but for now, it made it difficult to remain standing. Unfortunately, Dray did not realize yet how weakened he in fact had become.

When Shelly fell to her knees, the adhiel wanted to comfort her. As he moved to kneel to give her his support, he unintentionally collapsed by her side, partially running into her. A sheepish grin covered the sharp pain caused by the impact with the rough ground. "Sorry, m'lady...I don't know what happened. I just wanted to heal Marius..." His words obviously caused him some problems, as they came out between quick breaths. It was clear that something had taken quite a bit of energy out of the guardsman.

Though the ground was not necessarily the best place to rest, being near Shelly was comforting, so he made no effort to regain his feet at the moment. Instead, he closed his eyes and focused on the returning warmth of the energy given to him by the Mother Crone. ~Thank you m'Lady. I knew you had not forsaken me.~

DMD Member since 2005
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Keaira's eyes closed as a wicked smile pulled at the corners of her lips. Janus was too good to be true, yet she could still feel the new power within herself. It felt good, like it belonged there, and she hungered desperately for more. That sorcerer had plenty; perhaps she could take it from him. When Janus spoke of Ashtallion's attempt to insult him, Keaira looked up at him, her piercing blue eyes narrowing slightly. "I shall make him pay 10 times over, in time." From the brief time of feeling Ashtallion's power, she could already tell she didn't have what it would take to defeat him. For a moment Keaira wondered where, when, and how Janus would give her more power. It matters not, as long as it happens. He will not fail me and I shall not fail him.

Then her head was resting on his chest again, nodding slightly as she listened to his words. "Do what you must, I am prepared. I will do whatever it takes." Her words were cold and filled with resolve. More power would come to her, no matter the cost.

Post by Guest »

The strange metal things in front of her and the man commanding her to stop were immediately identifiable to Neit as the reason why Marius and the others had fled. If this were true, then this man was possibly one to fear greatly. It was a strange world, and so Neit played it cautiously.

She thought quick...

After putting the weapons down, she looked back over her shoulder and then back to the man. "We were attacked by some people. I helped Marius outside...he should be around the corner. He is hurt, and only asked me to make sure his collection is safe." An attempt at an innocent look on her face was given, "Can you help me, sir?" Her body twitched as if she really wanted to go back in the building to get more things. "There is a lot in there that is needing to be removed before the place collapses. If you help me, I can tell you all about the ones that caused this damage."

If she could get some of them to come inside with her, she could either kill them or use them as hostages. Dark thoughts began to form in the back of her mind. However, they did not surface on her face...
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

The officers head shook in a slow negation. James signaled for Neit to approach with his free hand. Other officers started to make their way over, curious about the giant woman.

"I can help you but you need to come over here first. It’s not safe in there so we’re gonna wait until the Fire Department gets here…" said James tentatively.

***~~*~~***

The dark mage laughed with Keaira’s words, the sound was akin to the dulcet tones of an instrument. Her eagerness excited him, her proposed duplicity earned his approval and her coldness when faced even implied danger made him respect her thirst for power.

"I will send you to them and make it seem as if you are pursued. You will be in darkness for a short time and then presented before them. I trust you to use your own judgment to gain their trust and I will make the circumstance that will goad them into action," said Janus as he ran his fingers across her hair. A sound like crackling ozone was heard and Janus tore the Aether as if with a jagged knife. Then he leaned backwards with Keaira, taking them both into a space that opened in the air behind him. They fell into the darkness that had the feel of a liquid, neither cold nor warm. Sight ceased as did sound and was replaced with a disembodied black and a muffled void. The only sense Keaira held was that of Janus beside her, arms around her waist to prove he was still with her. It seemed to speed past them as they moved ever forward.

***~~*~~***

When Draydis fell beside her, Shelly immediately threw her arms around the tattooed Adhiel. She rested her cheek still wet with tears on the top of his head. One arm cradled him; the other hand caressed his hair as she tried to stifle her sobbing.

"You…you couldn’t have known Dray. There was no way you could have known…damn it. Damn him. Bastard!" she said hugging the Adhiel close. Her tear filled eyes went to Marius, who, though still fatigued, was standing on his own. The aged sorcerer seemed to exercise patience but his urgency was also almost palpable. Domingo mirrored this in his impatient stance and countenance.

"Shelly, put his arm over your shoulder. We’ve got to go…now," said Domingo, speaking for his first time in a good number of burns. He was about to offer his shoulder to Marius when the mage brushed him away. The red haired sorcerer closed his eyes and reached out into the Aether with Ashtallion. When Marius’ eyes opened, they were snapped open in shock.

***~~*~~***

Janus felt the gilded sorcery of Asht attempting to grip onto his own. To find where his location and track his movement. At this point, the dark mage had had enough. The meddling elf mage was getting daring in his magicks and he would pay for this. As Ashtallion looked into the Aether, it would seem as if the world had been cut away and there was nothing but the darkness that lurked behind it. Janus was not visible, but his presence was overwhelming. In this place, this half space in between Ashtallion’s mindscape and the nothingness that held Janus the dark mage malevolently regarded the light magus. Dark cords of energy reached back to the light and coiled about it like a host of many serpents. They were bands of pliable iron as they yanked at Ashtallion. It was the Aetheric equivalent of being grabbed by ones collar and pulled to face someone. The magus senses were pulled to the brink of this blackness and the sick taint seemed to roll as a putrid breath from its depths.

Parlor tricks, that is what your magic is to me elf. I will come for you personally when I have broken each of your friends.

With a tangible force Janus expelled the mage backward and beyond the touch of his sorcery. Keaira had been hidden from Ashtallion and it was then that he let a surge of his own sorcery empower the young would be mage. It coursed and twined with the Mothers corrupted energy, thus completing it’s conversion to a perverted sorcery.

Go, Keaira, I will place you before them and I must attend to another matter personally. Just call upon me should you need me.

With a breath, Janus was gone and Keaira was being slowly propelled forward. The dark ancient things that yielded to him, the sick perversions of creatures that had been warped in the Nether…all that had been held back in Janus’ presence tried to rush forth, eager to consume. It was a lucky thing that Keaira could not see for if these beings were brought to light, the mere sight of them alone would have driven most to madness. However, the brand of Janus’ sorcery and it’s surging within her made them recoil. The lesser creatures had recoiled but soon began to part behind her as if making way for something else. A gigantic presence, dark and ravenous started to glide toward Keaira. This thing did not heed the warning Janus sorcery impressed on the others. It moved with a hunger and worn rage toward the woman. It was up to Keaira to move.

***~~*~~***

Talanwei’s stomach was seized in a lurching sensation as he felt a dark presence behind him and the others. His senses were not nearly as refined as Ashtallion or Marius but a sick dread welled in his soul. He looked to Asht first then to the others.

Back, approximately 20 yards behind the group a film of blackness shot upward closing off the end of the alley that left to the street. It grew in substance until it could not be seen through. This same dark started to creep along the tops of the buildings, making a ceiling that blotted out the sky. With a much slower pace than the wall had erected itself, it slithered forward. To the layman, it would seem as any other alley but would permeate danger and deter entrance from the street. To those with Aetheric sight however, it was a tangible wall that sealed exit. Pearls of darkness seemed to ooze from the walls starting at nearly twenty feet above their heads and farther down the alley. It seemed as if the buildings themselves were sweating the substance. Not the clearest of Aetheric light could pierce them as the dropped to the floor, each the size of a grown mans torso. Slowly the darkness began to coalesce and draw into a single quivering mass. It was centered at the end of the alley and seemed to fill the space quickly.

They had to retreat, simply because few were in a condition to fight. Draydis was exhausted and Domingo was still oozing blood from wounds from the torn concrete.

"By the Father…Shelly!! Pick up Draydis! NOW, RUN!!!" roared Domingo. Slowly, Talanwei pulled his blade. It was reflex that made the blade's edges erupt in white flame.
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Keaira said nothing in reply to Janus, he knew well her desire for power and the fact that she would not be deterred. So it was with fierce resolve that the girl placed herself in his capable hands.

She found herself falling backward with the dark sorcerer, soon embraced by a darkness that seemed as liquid upon her skin. Her sight failed her and no sounds found their way to her ears, and were she not able to feel Janus's arms around her waist Keaira might have panicked. Instead she ignored the faster beating of her heart; if she wanted more power, she would have to trust him. After all, this had been her own idea.

Then she heard Janus speaking to her mind, felt him leaving her. For the briefest moment Keaira was scared, clutching at the nothing where Janus had been. Swift to remind herself of his words, she battled the fear that threatened to overwhelm her. She could sense creatures all around her, yet at the same time she felt they could not and would not touch her. Then, she felt anticipation -- not from herself, but from them. Behind her, she felt a dark rage and a hunger that could not bode well for her. Something is after me.

It was with a sudden jerk that Keaira brought her previously relaxed limbs back into action. Terror was a great motivator, and Keaira was definitely motivated, as she struggled to get out of the liquidy blackness around her. With a fierce determination she attempted to do the same as Janus had and make that lovely rip out of the Aether, using the power he had given her. Though the girl's efforts were a bit more clumsy, she did manage to tear a hole in the blackness, and Keaira lunged for it.

The form of a girl threw itself out of the black film quite suddenly, hitting the hard pavement of the alley. Keaira hardly paused as she rolled and scrambled to her feet, fear etched into every feature on her otherwise attractive face. She was not surprised to see others before her, for Janus had said that would be the case, but she hardly took the time to see if she recognized any of them. "Help!" Her desperate plea echoed through the alley as she ran toward them. "Help me, please! Something is coming!!"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion gasped as he was pulled forward and he did not have to guess by whom. The darkmages presence was overwhelming and while he gritted his teeth, fear shone clearly in his golden eyes. Janus spoke to him, he said the adhiel wizards' magic was but parlor trick to him and with his fear, he managed a spark of anger. No one had ever considered Ashtallion a mere trickster magician.

Suddenly, Asht was expelled, forceably thrown from the control of his own sorcery. The golden mage fell hard on his rear end, winching in pain. " Damn hi--", he never got to finish his sentence, as the after effect of being smothered in such corrupted power grabbed his stomach and squeezed. The sorcerer rolled over and vomited the contents of gut up, which to be fair was very little, mostly bile. Cramps ripped across him and he shuddered slightly, sweat beading on his forehead. Even as he knelt up, placing both hands on his knees.....something else formed behind him.

He rose unsteadily and turned to view it. " By the gods....", there was a woman screaming for help as she ran towards them. Domingo yelled at Shelly to run with Draydis.

" I might not be able to ripped Janus apart just now.....however I'll show him just what this palor mage is capable of...", fighting off the still surging waves of nausea, the wizard moved closer to the creature. Large and looming over them. He had no idea what it was, or what would work against it. " So it'll be a casae of trial and error I suppose.... ", a grin spred over his face. " Looks like I'll get to tear another of your pets apart, Janus.....and I'll rip through them all until I get to YOU! "

Power burgeoned all around him. Golden sorcery, coiling like ropes around him, twisting and slithering through the air. " Talanwei! Get the girl! I'll hold this thing off! "

His right arm snapped out and the coils of sorcery snapped outwards also. Like whips of magic they raced for the corrupted creature with a keening wail, hungry to rip it apart.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

"Talanwei! No! We must retreat!" shouted Domingo. Marius knew and he could feel Keaira tumble through the Aether. The Achadiel would not retreat. In fact Talanwei did not look back immediately at the tall warrior. The runes on his blade flared to a brilliant light as the flame on his blade deepened. Ashtallion had been tossed backwards from some unknown force but when he got to his feet, there was righteous anger in his golden eyes. Talanwei knew he could count on the Adhiel magus and he rejoiced fiercely in his heart at this.

The paladin looked over his shoulder to Draydis, Shelly, Domingo, and Marius. His flaming blade was held before him and his eyes were hardened with the battle to come. It was a sad truth that only he and Ashtallion were of sound body to fight. If they could escape there would be hope and Talanwei would ensure this was the case. In front of them, another wall of darkness had sealed the only other exit so therefore the only way was up. Through the area that had not closed in on them yet.

"Take the others and retreat. Asht and I will rescue the woman," Talanwei said this and Domingo opened his mouth to protest, "Do as I say! Please Domingo, take my friend Draydis to safety, we will find you!"

Marius nodded, once more assuming control signing with his hand. Domingo frowned furiously and turned, then he vaulted into the air. He shot up and above the top of the nearest building and landed lightly on its edge. Marius looked at Shelly who was helping Draydis to his feet hurriedly.

"All right sugar, we gotta get movin," said Shelly and added as an afterthought, "and don’t you dare think of staying, you are in no condition to play the hero."

If there were no serious protests from the Emerald Guardsman, she leapt with him into the waiting arms of Domingo who helped ease their landing. Marius then turned to Ashtallion and Talanwei, favoring them with a grave approval.

"Do not fall, do not doubt your abilities. This demon will be laid low, as Janus will be," said the aged sorcerer. With that, he was propelled with his sorcery out of the slowly closing hole in the ceiling of darkness.

As Keaira ran forward, the beast that seemed composed of darkness gained substance. Cords of warped muscle began to snake around what looked like bones made of charcoal. Two columns shot upward and came to a rest on either side of the alley. Nails sprouted and an impossible number of claws dug into concrete as if it were turf. Off from the centre of its main bulk rose a bulbous growth that seemed to be gouged with innumerable slits in its top right portion. These opened to eyes that were greenish and gleamed wetly. The left side seemed to be in ruin and approximately three larger eyes remained and seemed to roam into the area where the creature’s mouth should be. What was unsettling was the fact that the eyes blinked independently. What was further concerning was the fact that this seemed to be only the upper torso of the demon where it’s lower half was submerged in the roiling black of the Nether. The creature was attempting to pull itself completely into the alley by latching onto the side of each building.

A third of the eyes rolled down onto Keaira’s retreating form and a mouth opened with teeth flexing outward. This grotesque orifice opened but not in its traditional location, it instead opened where a normal creature’s cheek would be on the right side. Mushrooms of the darkness bloomed as Keaira ran forward and Ashtallion’s sorcery thundered forward. It sped forward and struck the creatures shoulder, biting into it viciously. It seemed to absorb into the skin of the demon and for a sickening few flickers, it seemed as if it had no effect. Then underneath the skin as if blistering from heat, bubbles stood out on blackened flesh. Spears of light shone through stretched skin and with a muffled report the arm separated from the shoulder. It dangled for a grotesque moment, claws still gripping instinctually to concrete before dropping heavily.

Talanwei chose this moment to move but instead of simply laying inert, the shorn appendage moved as well. It lost its substance becoming almost gelatinous once more and shot thick cords of itself around Keaira’s arms and legs. With his increased speed, Talanwei dashed forward running powerfully. Almost in a blur he had closed the distance and reached out his free hand to loop around the woman’s waist. The threads, resembling tentacles, chose this moment to yank Keaira from her feet into the air back and above Talanwei’s reach. Somehow, the main mass had begun an ascent up the wall by some sick adhesive means.

Not to be discouraged, Talanwei sent a swift prayer to Illuminatus as he dashed toward the wall itself. If Marius’ theory held true, this feat would be as nothing. Though he had expected some success he was surprised with the ease with which he ran diagonally up the wall. Each step splintered concrete and took him higher until he was nearly parallel with the crawling appendage. Talanwei crouched against the wall touching it lightly with his fingers before kicking off into thin air. The Achadiel kicked off in such a way so that he was able to spin in the air and his enchanted blade lashed out with a screaming path through a large bundling of fleshy tentacles that were holding Keaira aloft. His free hand wrapped around Keaira’s wrist and he pulled her as he flew past. There was a tearing sound as the remaining flesh that had wrapped around her gave way. Talanwei had put too much force into his jump however and the two of them rocketed toward the opposite wall of the alley. Twisting himself, Talanwei put his back to the wall so that he would impact it first. Talanwei dropped his sword in mid flight and pulled Keaira to his chest wrapping his arms around her. A shield of white Aetheric energy crackled across the Achadiel’s back as he made to lessen his impact against the concrete. The sheer force as he collided hammered the air from him and the two fell to the ground in a heap.

Unfortunately, though they served in saving Keaira, Talanwei’s actions had put them inadvertently closer to the demon. He gasped to regain the breath crushed from his lungs as the power of Illuminatus raged around them in a tangible aura. It kept the viscous blackness slithering along the floor that had gathered nearer the beast at bay but the demon itself loomed large to their side.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion barely paid attention to Talanwei and the woman he was saving. The mage was too focused on the abomination towering before him, even though there was still fair distance between himself and the dark creature. Its mangled, chaotic appearance disturbed the wizard, yet it did nothing to interupt his casting. The golden cords of magic seemed to have some sort of effect on the beast, yet Asht was still unsure as to whether it was a good one for the arm had fallen and seemed to take on a life of his own, independant from its body.

Talanwei would have to deal with it.

The mage never missed a beat. As his golden threads of sorcery fell away from him like sparkling dust, both arms rose in movement once more, dancing almost with the magic. Arcs of lightning jumped between his fingers and hand, crawling over the wizards very skin yet seeming to do no harm to him. Ashtallion drew on the electrical energy present in the very air, of which the smell of ozone was becoming very strong. A acrid, pungent stench. Suddenly, the wizard stopped, placed one foot infront of himself, the other behind....and threw both arms forward in one sharp and hard gestrued. He yelled as the lightning tore from his hands, screaming towards the beast.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The darkness was closing in on the small band of heroes, and though his strength had been drained, Dray knew this was a time to stand and fight. Asht and Tal could hold their own in a fair fight, but this one felt like more than the two could hold on their own, and he knew he could lend a hand with at least his bow.

Shelly told him to not do exactly what he had already decided to do. "I will stay and fight. These are my friends." His eyes met hers, and he looked deep into them. "I will guard your escape. The Mother will protect us, and I know She will allow me to see you once again." He gave a genuine smile to the woman that had already earned his heart. "I promise you that I will make good on that dance I owe you. Now please, m'lady, I am a guardsman.....let me fight." Though it sounded like asking for permission, the tone was more of one that was asking his new love to understand him and let him do what his heart told him was right.

Unfortunately, he was too weak to break her grip on his own. She would have to release him. Reluctantly, she did. A quick look was given to her. With it, she knew his appreciation, his love, and his devotion to those that he called friends.

He then turned to focus on the dark beast in front of them. He was too weak to use his blades, but his bow might be useful yet. With care to not enter the fray too soon, and potentially disrupt the advances of his friends, Dray readied his bow and waited until the time was right. As Ashtallion yelled, Dray knew the moment was there.

~Mother Crone, I know You are strong here. I feel Your power giving me strength. So, in Your name, I now fight to protect my friends.~

It was at that moment that Tal and the girl hit hard into the wall of the building and fell to the ground close to the large demon. Without regard for his own weakness, the tattooed guardsman charged. It wasn't a fast charge, but the effort was at least there. As he attempted to race forward, the arrow was released into the large demon, his bow was dropped to the ground, and the well-used pair of short swords were in his hands. The shot was hard to make, and had little strength behind it, for the bow was stout and difficult for his weakend arm to pull to its full extension. As the swords were pulled, they felt like they were made of iron. Using them effectively would be difficult at best...

His advance did not stop until he was interposed between the demon and his paladin friend that was now on the ground. His eyes were focused intensely on the creature in front of him, so he did not even notice the runic tattoos on his body flaring brilliantly with greenish black color. The most intense of these symbols were those of duty, honor, and faith.

"Come now demon! Face the power of the Crone if you dare!"

He knew he was too weak to fight, but was resolute in his dedication to hold off the demon until Tal could fight once again. Slowly, he began to twirl his blades about his body in an effort to get his muscles loosened up again. At first, the spinning of the blade was slow and awkward, however, once they began to move, he allowed the weight of the blades to help him move them about his body in ever-accelerating arcs.

It was a similar dance to the one he had done inside the bar on the dance floor, though this time, his smile acrobatics were gone. A veil of shadow had overcome his face and body to a point that there was another source of darkness present within the alley. It took everything he had to simply make his stand here. He knew that if the demon attacked, he was likely to die.

"Get her out of here, guys!"

He hoped his friends would listen, but he knew that Tal and Asht were a lot like him, and that meant there would be three standing in the breach.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Crunch.

The horrible creature was solid now. Keaira heard the pavement buckle beneath its grasp, and the fear spurned her on. She did not look back. Could not look back.

There was a heavy thud behind her, like something falling. A building? The beast? She dared not look. Her cries continued to echo down the alley with her footsteps as she tried to reach the others, who were already springing into action. She was glad to see that they were not fighting her also, for it became all too evident that Ashtallion was a very adept mage. Had she the presence of mind to consider this, Keaira would have. Instead, she found herself screaming as she felt something sick and gelatinous wrapping about her arms and legs. Though Talanwei grabbed onto her slender waist, she found herself pulled from him, and struggled like the typical damsel in distress as she was pulled along up the side of the building.

The girl was just about to resort to trying to use her own newfound powers before Talanwei began running up the wall, and her eyes widened briefly. It happened so swiftly: he lept, the bonds were cut, and suddenly she was in his arms, being held close and protected. Relief flooded through her, though it was soon knocked out of her along with her breath as the impact of the wall through Talanwei's back caused her to gasp. She crumpled to the ground in front of him like a doll carelessly dropped by a child, all limbs and hair.

Sitting up, Keaira was quick to run her fingers through her tangled tresses and move them out of her eyes. What she saw was a powerful arc of lighting heading toward the demon, and Draydis approaching the creature. She was quick to act.

No doubt all of them were suitably distracted, and very gently Keaira endeavored to tap into the power which Janus had given her. Draydis was weak, all she needed was a subtle push...

Screaming and partially covering her eyes in "fear" to disguise her concentration, Keaira attempted to push Draydis by creating a force of air to shove into his shoulder and lightly bump the back of his knee at the same time, which would throw him off balance and into the path of Ashtallion's lightning. The fighter was tired, the mage was distracted, Talanwei was stunned, and the demon tainted their senses with darkness. It was so perfect. They would never suspect her if she could pull it off. Inwardly, Keaira smiled wickedly, though outwardly she seemed just as terrified and helpless as ever.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Shelly could see that he was not going to listen and she looked worriedly at the demon materializing in front of the three men. Her own features set in determination and before the Adhiel darted off to battle, she hugged him close. Half releasing him she put both hands to his cheeks and put her forehead against his own.

"Damn you Draydis…don’t you dare die on me…" she said this fiercely and her breath warmed his cheek and smelled vaguely of sweetness. The woman let him go to fight alongside his friends, people whose friendship had already been forged in peace and tempered with battle. The Emerald Guardsman ran forward and loosed his arrow and as he expected, it did not have much strength or enchantment behind it. Its impact was on the lower torso of the demon and though it initially sizzled the flesh it was engulfed as if it were nothing. As he stepped in front of Talanwei, Dray's blades gained momentum and once this was gained the blades twirled more easily. His prayer to the Mother was heeded more readily than he would have imagined. A vision caressed the edges of the Adhiel’s mind then. It was the woods of Taquar, untainted and green. If he was attentive he could nearly smell the bark of the trees and settled earth of his home.

Go to battle, child. You go with my blessing.

If Draydis had never directly heard the voice of the Crone before he heard it then. With it was a staggering influx of invigorating strength to his limbs and clarity to his mind. The Mother was with him in such a way as she had never been and the goddess rewarded her child for his faith. His position in front of Talanwei and Keaira had put Draydis out of the path of Ashtallion’s hungry lightning. It held more force than had his first bolt and its burgeoning power made it a few flickers slower in its flight.

When Keaira manipulated the air around Draydis and attempted to push, she was met with the Mother’s power. What had started as a light push had to be made more forceful to budge the Adhiel. Yet indeed budge him it did and he was forced to stumble…right into the path of the sorcery that was en route to hit the upper torso of the demon. It trajectory would put it just high enough for the bottom of the bolt to relieve Draydis of his head. It seemed as it all they would be able to do was watch as the horrible scene unfolded before them.

Yet it was Shelly that acted.

She had not retreated as Domingo and Marius had done. When Draydis had moved to the left, she had darted to the right putting herself closer to the severed shoulder of the demon. Initially she had been aiming to fire a bolt of energy from her bow into one of the demons eyes. Her eyes beheld Ashtallion cast powerful sorcery, she saw Draydis stumble into its path. In horror her stomach dropped but her practiced hands did their work even as her mind quailed. Drawing her bowstring back to her shoulder, Shelly loosed a wide unfocused bolt of sorcery to intersect with the path of Asht’s lightning. Twice more in succession she fired two more focused, thin bolts each centimeters trailing behind one another. She must have been mad to attempt it. It was an impossible shot meant to deter a near unfathomably powerful storm of lightning. Under normal circumstances, Shelly would have failed but her intense desperation made this feat possible. A blinding flash filled the alley as her first shot struck perfectly. Each stream of sorcery struck Ashtallion’s lightning with concussive force. It was enough if only barely as the arcing bolt roared past Draydis’ shoulder and ear in close enough proximity to heat his flesh and char a few strands of loose hair.

Instead of hitting the torso of the demon Ashtallion’s sorcery struck the demons ruined skull on its left side where most of it’s eyes were located. This was soon remedied as the bolt tore much of this portion of the head from the creature. Almost as if boneless, the crude caricature of a head snapped backwards impacting wall of blackness solidly. Ripples moved outward as if the surface were water. There was a hush for flickers. These flickers seemed as yahren to all present. The angling of the neck was impossible for a creature of the Tether. By way of gravity and momentum the demons head was carried forward and it looked as if it would fall to the ground. Only mere feet above the ground the monsters shoulders flexed and held the head aloft. The three remaining eyes rolled into a sick and angry focus on its foes.

It’s intake of breath was audible as a rasping suction. It reared backward and the roar it issued shook the very buildings to their foundations. A rapid popping sound was heard as the windows lining the buildings each exploded in succession. It then used its ruined skull without a moments pause in a sideways sweeping motion to impact Draydis. It carried the Adhiel on this swing until it pinned him between the side of a building and its head. Even reduced of some of its size it was large enough to pin one of the Adhiel’s arms and keep him, if only for that moment, stationary. An impact that would have normally killed would feel as a heavy blow with the way the Mother’s energy coursed through him.

The demon’s remaining arm was still digging into a building and the severed appendage that had melted into a shapeless mass had climbed higher along the wall. Talanwei caught sight of it as it pushed off from its position and descended. The mass descended and the sick realization came to him that it was coming for he and Keaira. The paladin took her in his arms once more and the gelatinous half flesh came down engulfing the two completely. Struggling with all of his faith and strength, Talanwei brought to bear the flaming aura of energy around him barely keeping he and the woman beneath him from being crushed. The Achadiel had a hand to the left side of Keaira’s head pushing against the concrete. The other arm was below her right armpit next to her waist. It took all of his concentration to keep the rough dome of shielding intact around them among the undulating flesh that seemed to exhale air from the Nether.

Hungry...we will consume…we can see, we are here…you will die!!

"Ah! Ngk-!" Talanwei choked out as the thoughts pushed their way into his mind. It was as if a multitude of screaming voices came as serrated knives through his skull. It almost undid him as his left arm bucked to leave him holding its weight on the elbow. Gods, if he could only get the woman from underneath this flesh that would be enough. It was hard to maintain the mental connection with Illuminatus when he was submerged in Netheric flesh. If he could not push this beast back they would die. The Achadiel hoped one of his allies would be able to mount an attack to free them. Talanwei looked into Keaira’s eyes, his eyes holding an unspoken apology. It was hard for him to cling to hope in the situation but for that moment, his shielding held.

Above them, the darkness that had been erected made an uninterrupted ceiling around them. All routes of retreat were blocked and still the battle raged on.

[hr]ooc: kinda got carried away setting the scene :oops:

Feel free to interject! :wink:
[/hr]
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

It took a bit more effort than Keaira had first estimated, but she did manage to shove the man into the path of Ashtallion's lightning. The spell was deflected and sent into the creature despite her efforts, but she gave no outward signs that she had even noticed Draydis and his near escape. She was soon more concerned with the dark beast itself.

The lightning struck and the head careened backward. Any normal creature would have died instantly -- but of course, this monster was not normal. As it caught its head, Keaira felt her stomach twist with sickness. How the hell do we kill this thing? For a moment she considered calling on Janus for the answer, though her thoughts were interrupted by the heavy rasp of the creature, and she covered her ears at its roar, unconsciously scooting closer to Talanwei for protection. All the nearby windows shattered under the influence of the creature's shriek, and Keaira whimpered faintly. Then Talanwei's arms were around her once more and she screamed as everything darkened, shutting her eyes tight. It was only after a few brief flickers that she opened them again, looking up only to discover that a mass of blackness was attempting to smother them, held off only by Talanwei's dome of shielding.

When Keaira looked back at Talanwei, his eyes apologetic, her own eyes were dark and angry. Her attempt to kill Draydis had failed. She was trapped between a creature that was trying her patience and a half-elf who was trying to save her; one she couldn't kill unless she too wanted to suffer. And she was tired of this.

No, you will die, Keaira thought reproachfully as a scowl pulled the corners of her lips down. Her hair was a mess, her make-up smeared, and her expression one of dark displeasure. I've had enough. The girl's eyes closed again as she concentrated on the monstrous creature nearby: the body, the arm, the head. They could not dissect it. They could not blow it apart. And so she would take its strength from it, sapping it just as Janus had sapped the power from Draydis. The darkness of the creature was something she believed she could handle, for her own soul shared the blackness. She hungered for the power it held, and for the destruction of what she considered an annoying fly in her face.

Keaira focused until she could keenly feel the creature's hunger, her eyebrows drawing together in concentration. She felt the rage, the power, the darkness, the strength -- and she seized it as a bird seizes a fish from the water, her mental grip digging into the creature like talons through scales. With all her might Keaira tapped into the beast's seemingly indomitable will and power and pulled it into herself as swiftly as water flowing into an empty container. She would drain it to the last if she could: until it was little more than a puddle of black goo upon the ground.
Last edited by Keaira Morgandy on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The smile that was painted on his face, full of deadly menace and sorcerous lust....quickly fell away as he noticed whom his lightning was going to rip through first on its charge towards the beast. " No! Dray! Move! ", Asht tried to reign in his power...yet he had put too much in it. The lightning was hungry and it would not be deterred. Someone else tried to direct the course away from the adhiel warrior, to little avail. It was though, with great relief, that something did shift the course of his spell, not something easily done he had to admit and he silently thanked and appaulded the source of....though seeing as it was Dray concerned here, the wizard did not have to think hard on who his protector would be.

" Bless you, Mother. "

His magic surge upwards, still screaming, ripping through the creatures skull. Still though, this did little to halt it. Ok, Janus. Granted this might be more difficult that I thought.....I'll destroy it though....it's not as strong as I am....not here.

And once more he plunged into his spellweaving. Sweat ran in small rivlets donw his face and back. His shirt was almost soaked through and even more perspiration beaded over him as he wove an element he held a great affinity for. Fire. The air around him wavered like glass, distorting the mages image. " Dray, I would get as far away as you can my friend! ", tendrils of fire started to appear, slowly undulating and twisting around Asht....more emerging from thin air as the candleflickers went by. His teeth gritted in sheer determination, concentrating of weaving the flames and maintaining the shield to protect himself from the heat, yet even his shield was not enough to stop all the heat that visably rose about him. The ground cracked, the concrete not able to take the immense pressure and heat that was building up.

More snaking ropes of flame wrapped around the mage, his legs, arms and torso. " Fire is life. It is the burning light of the soul. It fuels desire. It is deslotaion. It is rebirth. From the fire of the soul I bring forth desolation. My word is power and power I command. I command the Soulfire. "

The flames, red and orange and gold started to brighten, Ashtallion allowed pure aether to mix with the fire, turning it white, hotter still. The ground started to melt, turning a smoldering red as it ran like vicous molten rock. The power he expelled force the wizard off the ground, hovering a few feet above it.

" The soul fuels the fire. The fire consumes, it cleanses, it burns without mercy. I am without mercy. Open the Gate within me and let loose the Dragon! "

Arms rose out to the side of himself and the world went white with fire. It thundered about him in a veritable maelstrom of fury and white flame. At the centre, all that could be seen of the mage was a pair of ferocious gold glowing eyes. " I am the Fire, Beast! Come taste what your Master cannot give! ", though it would not be seen, it would be felt, a gesturing arm from Ashtallion and the flames roared forward in a concussive surge of savage and appalling rage. Flowing like a river thats burst its banks, unrelenting and unforgiving of any that stood in its way.

The sorcerer was laughing, like the rumble of a dragons throat. Evidently having given too much of himself to the Aether. Opening the Flood Gate on ones own soul was never a good thing.

The front of the river of fire, to those looking on it, had the unmistakable look of the head of dragon, its jaws wide open in a thundering shriek. Once it reached the creature, its intent was to slam upon it, devour it, rip it apart and any of its appendages. An underlying note of concern reached the wizard as his power race ahead of him. Talanwei and the girl. His mind bent the magic slightly, connected through it. The paladins shield was aetheric in nature also, a blessing of his god. Asht made sure the sorcery would not harm them. Only burn away the taint of netheric corruption.

Post by Guest »

Neit could not tell if the officer had fallen for her trick, but she was certain that she was not going to get her way entirely. "Sir, I was given strict orders to remove my boss' property from this building. I fear that you do not understand the value of this property."

She then remembered something that Marius had said. He indicated that their abilities would be greatly enhanced in this world...

With that thought in mind, Neit thought more about the battle that had happened within the bar. She had seen swordsmen moving at incredible speeds, and magic being hurled with greater intensity than she had ever seen before.

~What abilities could I have here?~, she thought to herself. ~I am strong, so perhaps my strength could be even greater here...~

The hammers were at her feet, just begging to be picked up and used. They were from the same cabinet as the other weapons, so perhaps they had similar properties to the blades that were utilized by the others. At least that was Neit's assessment.

"Will you just watch these things, and allow me to go back in? You don't have to go with me...just allow me to do my job." She asked the officer these questions to give her time to guage her own body to see if she could sense any additional abilities...

While attempting to not look like she was trying to do anything strange, Neit shifted her weight from foot to foot. It was an attempt to see if she could exert greater than usual strength downwards into the pavement. If she could muster enough strength, perhaps the hammer could be used to deliver enough force into the ground to cause a small quake of sorts and give her a chance to escape with her loot...
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The weight of the demon pounding the guardsman into the wall let him know that the Mother Crone had truly blessed him, for the impact was forceful enough to normally break him in half. Fortunately for Dray, he only lost his breath...though there would certainly be bruises and sore bones the next day.

After being pinned for a few flickers, he regained his ability to breathe, though his one arm was still held.

In an instant, the free arm had drawn one of his short swords from its scabbard.

The blade seemed to be ablaze with dark green fire as the energy of the Crone flowed through him and into his weapon. Despite the sun shining down, shadows almost entirely covered his face and body, as if he were standing in darkness. A flicker later, the blade was speeding downwards, intending to plunge deep into the demon's head...

DMD Member since 2005
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

The blackness had covered the alley, boxing it in completely. Marius and Domingo were on top of the building looking down on the barrier that held a tangible sense of sorcery. The bloodied warrior struck the barrier with a hand that crackled with bluish lightning. It was mostly frustration and he struck it once more, this time his fist aflame. Marius chose that moment to grip his upper arm, shaking his head slowly.

"You’ll waste your strength. We will need all that we can muster in the coming days," the sorcerer cast a grave look at the barrier that kept them out and their allies inside, "We must go. Pray for them; believe in them…because they are our only hope."

The fighter's features were colored with hesitation but they both retreated along the rooftops.

***~~*~~***

Neit’s testing of her body yielded to a queer feeling that manifested itself in a mild tingling of her skin. Her muscles were responsive with a strength that she did not know before. She would be able to move at accelerated speed and do things normally across her threshold of ability. Yet, to test these boundaries she would have to attempt something and find her extent. Meanwhile James was getting irritated with the stubborn woman before him. By all rights he could have been a lot angrier with her for her lack of immediate cooperation. She kept on shooting off her mouth about valuables and helping her get these things from the building.

"MA’AM!! You are not to go in that damned building again is this clear? I don’t give a damn who your boss is!" shouted James, gesturing with his hand for her to move toward him. Before this could be done or the giantess could act on her theory, the demon behind the alley dug its arms into the buildings surrounding it. This shook the buildings and made a few of the windows explode onto the pavement. James eyes widened as this happened and he started toward the building. He stopped before passing Neit and looked at the officers with him.

"Watch her," he said to them and he looked up at Neit with narrowed eyes, "ma’am this is the last time I’m going to ask you to stay put. Please, it is for your own safety."

He walked past her into the ruined and blasted opening made through the storefront of Tazlure. He looked at the damage in amazement because some of the metal and glass had been polished to an unnatural shape by the Aetheric energy. It was the rear of the establishment that drew his attention and a swiftly growing sense of unease as he approached what looked like a hole in the rear wall. It seemed to lead into the alley and nothing was blocking his way but still he could not bring himself to step forth. James Tallant was scared for perhaps the third time in his life. Little did he know that just beyond the illusory image that five people were fighting for their lives and consequently ensuring the safety of innocent people.

Meanwhile, a young woman officer and her partner were watching Neit. Their awe was apparent at the woman’s size. Beyond them and outside the range of the building if it potentially collapsed was a rough half circle of police vehicles and the surrounding area was being cordoned off. It was Neit’s opportunity to exercise her strength as she saw fit. There were many options before her and there was a sensation that she was being observed in a most piercing way. Not by these dulled, human eyes of the officers but by a perception much sharper and refined.

***~~*~~***

Talanwei did not know what to do. He was struggling against this foul strength that was going to kill him and Keaira with no relief in sight. There was not much else he could concentrate on except survival so he did not even notice as the woman began to reach out to siphon the demons energy. One thing that sliced through what seemed all consuming focus was Ashtallion. The brilliant soul of the mage flared with a power that almost frightened the paladin. The pure Aether pouring into Asht had the effect of an exclamation point that forced its way into his mind. The sorcerer was going to unleash a great amount of sorcery and Talanwei was not sure that he could hold a shield against its power. Nonetheless, he reached into the well of Illuminatus’ power and redoubled his efforts at protecting Keaira and himself.

***~~*~~***

Janus was watching Neit from atop a building removed from the immediate bustle of police and their ilk. Certainly he could convince the woman to join him and fight against those from her world. He watched for her to act because it would be her reaction that would spur him to act. The sorcerer felt Ashtallion open his soul almost completely to the Aether. Janus, despite himself, shuddered at the amount of power the Adhiel was pushing out but knew that such squandering would eventually reach the limits of even this plane. Janus could also sense the smothered power of the paladin and reached for Keaira to see how she was faring. The demon that crawled out of the Nether after the poor girl was one of the more fearsome in that blackness. Another reason for its aggression was the fact that Janus had not dominated the abhorrent creature. It simply was too large an expenditure of energy to force the monstrous creature to obey. Then the instances where the beast could be used effectively and controlled were few.

A sharp spear of surprise lanced through Janus’ mind as he realized exactly what Keaira was trying to do. The child was trying to draw in the power of the beast. What concerned him more, was that she was succeeding and too quickly for him to intervene. If that diseased power entered Keaira, it would ruin her and for perhaps the first time in his near timeless life the sorcerer was struck with a brand of concern.

***~~*~~***

Shelly had watched as Draydis was swept into the concrete wall. She flinched as the guardsman seemed to be crushed. She drew back her bowstring once more and let loose a bolt of lightning. It tore into the demons extended neck, blowing a chunk of the throat away. Almost as soon as it had been torn away, however, it began to reform to heal the wound. Shelly began to fire, alternating elements with each shot. One a shaft of ice that sank into the flesh, another a stream of flame, and yet another that was electricity. Slowly she was hacking away at the beasts neck and perhaps she could sever it from the demon and free Draydis, if he were still alive.

Yet the force was only enough to wind the guardsman, that much was certain to him. Draydis held his blade aloft and the willing strength of the Mother was provided him, easily and swiftly using the blade as its conduit. Deep flames, a lustrous and smoldering green fortified his blade with a cleansing sorcery. Draydis was no sorcerer but he could surely feel the exhilarating feel of it as it coursed without him needing to consciously will it into being. It was simple, he needed strength and his Mother Crone provided. As the blade plunged down, it sunk into the skull of the beast with an ease that bespoke the combination of Dray’s own skill and the vengeful flame of the Mother. For flickers, the blades flame seemed extinguished. Then, around the entry of the thrust, a bubbling of the flesh became apparent and it began to burn away.

Again the demon roared but this time in pain. As close as Draydis was, the wail would seem deafening but nothing that could not be endured. However, still the demon held him to the wall with a strength that was impossible. It dared not move its head even when confronted with the stab digging in cruelly because the troublesome guardsman would only become moreso if he was free to move.

While this was occurring Keaira used her sorcery in a way that was swiftly becoming more natural. With disembodied hooks it dug into the life force of the creature and for a moment, it recoiled at the unexpected resistance. It had a rudimentary, parasitic intelligence and its instinct made it pause. That was, until the flesh realized that this was a direct connection to that which it desired to consume beneath Talanwei’s shielding. There was a savage, primal scream of triumph that raked through Talanwei's skull with a reckless force. On its heels was a voice that spoke only to Keaira.

Keaira, NO!

It flowed into her, over her, through her with a rush threatening to overcome her will. The beast was too much for Keaira. Dark power, murderous, insane and ultimately unfit for a human mind coursed in a diseased, sick, violating way through the woman’s body. Overshadowing all though would be the disgusting sensation of being filled with the demons presence.

Meanwhile, Ashtallion had broken past any boundary that had been presented to him in Tazlure. The power that flowed through him seemed godlike and its potency was intoxicating. Aether swirled around him in a manner that was unlike any that most present had seen. In the face of the light produced by the blazing and blessed fire, the demons flesh covering Talanwei and Keaira recoiled and drew back slightly, revealing the shining almost translucent white of the paladin’s shielding. The flesh was fearful of this purity, this light that came from Ashtallion and it drew back even farther in what almost seemed a retreat. However it was the desire to consume a weakened prey and its primitive instinct that largely held it in place.

The power around the mage built to a culminating force and when it was unleashed it took the form of a dragon. To others it would seem that the magicks had been formed this way by Ashtallion. The mage, however, would feel different. His sorcery was strong, but it was both and offering and an augmentation. He poured himself into the Aether and he had its answer. A triumphant and exultant cry of a dragon sounded in his soul and he could doubtlessly feel the near overwhelming presence. What erupted from that maelstrom of flame was what had answered his unspoken summoning, opening his soul had called forth a dragon of the heavens wreathed in the flame that was Ashtallion’s affinity. This made the magnificent beast even more potent and powerful as it surged forth. It was swiftly apparent that though it was summoned by the adhiel mage, it would be difficult to control. With the outpour of energy, it threatened to pluck Ashtallion along in it’s wake, The sorcerer would have to concentrate on his own safety before trying to protect his allies.

Keaira was near overcome in those few flickers but Janus’ presence was almost immediately apparent. The demons diseased charge through Keaira’s soul was halted as if it had crashed into an impermeable wall. The sorcerer had no time for subtlety and grace. With a strong and rough sorcery, the dark magus pulled almost all of the demonic soul to himself. For all of its terrible and corrupted nature, the demon was fearful of Janus and squealed its terror at the man’s power. Using his sorcery, he grappled with the desperate abomination.

It was then that Ashtallion’s flame came over the severed flesh and the two beneath it like a lake of magma. Gold and white hot flame hit Talanwei’s shielding and raged over it looking as a river of light should either of them hazard to look. It was an odd contact because at first, the Achadiel felt empowered by such pure Aether and for a few flickers his aura of protection seemed to grow. It soon became clear however that this destructive flame was indiscriminate of friend or foe. The force of the attack seemed to pluck at Talanwei like strong hands and soon he was pulled from hands and knees to a half kneeling position. The paladin had crossed his arms in front of him, shielding his eyes from the intense light. The flame did not touch him or Keaira but the wind displaced and raging whipped at them both. Soon he could no longer remain kneeling and was drawn to his feet, leaning into the flame.

The sorcery slammed its full bulk into the demons torso, immediately obliterating its central mass. Severing the chords of twisted muscle and corrupted bone that composed its neck, the head of the beast fell to the ground. Dray was freed and largely outside of the initial rush of the flaming river of sorcery. The dragon of flame and Aether struck the black wall behind it and spilled upward until its own force brought it cascading down once more. The demons head still showed signs of life and from its ruined mass, ropes of its flesh tried to snake forward to entangle Draydis. It was lying where the flame would fall and would be burned away but it was intending to take the Adhiel with him. The truth was clear, Draydis had to move to avoid being burned to nothing and avoid the swift attack of the demons flesh.

By sheer force and desperation, a portion of the demon’s flesh had pushed its way inside Talanwei’s circle of protection. It was no larger than a foot or so in diameter but the blackened flesh attempted to cling to Keaira in a dim preservation instinct. Janus’ attention was split between keeping the monsters presence from tainting Keaira and fending off the actual assault on her flesh. From his remote location it was proving difficult to decisively exorcise it’s presence. Janus focused on his charge and spoke calmly into her mind.

Keaira, you must resist this beast. I have it at bay; you must simply push it away.

Meanwhile, the fire raged around Talanwei who was oblivious to the struggle beneath him. The Achadiel put his hands before him and was using all of his concentration to pouring the strength of his god into the shield before him. If he failed, he and Keaira would die…or so he thought. With Janus protecting the woman, it would be only the Achadiel that would be burned to nothingness. His feet dug into bracing himself but the power pushed him back at an almost imperceptible yet steady rate.

Strong…he is too strong.

Talanwei’s pained thoughts tried to focus. If he failed, they would die. Still the flames raged, burning away the demon with a fierce and wild abandon. Talanwei gritted his teeth and pushed back.

Just a few...flickers...more. I can do this!!
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

For a few flickers, Ashtallion knew nothing of anything else expect the aetheric flow of power that thrummed in every fibre of his existence. Long, slender fingers reached out and caressed the white fire that billowed in vast sheets of fury about him. Feet lifted clear of the ground, the wizard laughed, he moaned, cried. His back arched as a spasm of sublime pleasure, and pain, tore through him. The fire licked his skin, having burned away his clothing, the only thing to remain was the silver pendant hanging about his neck, the clear crystal at the end flaring with its own white light.

The mages' thoughts ran as wild as his power, what ran through his mind was not entirely mortal, it was Primal, ferocious in his hunger, almost beastial.

He had never felt more alive.....never felt more....disconnected....

Golden light filled eyes snapped open suddenly, flaring wide and full of dangerous comprehension.

" No. "

The one word was whispered and lost in the roaring fires of the aether that cascaded within and without him.

" No! "

His voice held force and the flames about him wavered slightly. No, stop! With what force of will he had left, the sorcerer clasp a mental hand over the Gate and started pulling back his power. " [b]The Gate is closed! The Way is shut! Withdraw! Shallen Nan Ha'Lar![/b] " but he was challenged by the Dragon. The spirit of his own power. Some of his sorcery, the aetheric white fire started to receed, flaming ropes spiralling back towards the mage, enetering him. Yet there was so much. He did not know if he could cope. Unleashing power was one thing, slamming the doors closed on it once open was quite another.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”