Dragonskeep Entrance Thread

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Rahilu
Civus

Post by Rahilu »

So, he had managed to get himself there. That had been his first priority, right?

Nïkolæran let out a miserable sigh and looked up at the watchtower and the set of gates, his golden-grey eyes bored. Chatter was heavy in the dusty air, but it didn't have the same feel as home. He had heard from a passerby that the inner Keep was nice in its own way, with its lush areas that somehow evaded the dry spells due to the lake. Not too much of a distance away, rugged mountains higher than any he'd seen towered over the area, casting a shadow upon the castle and village at certain times of day. It was unique, but he didn't feel like he was enjoying it too much at the moment. As the first factor, he was plainly not looking forwards to all of this.

With an annoyed groan, he wiped the sweat from his brow. He had come too far to turn back now, no matter how dim his outlook of getting where he wanted to go felt. He closed his golden-gray eyes and allowed the beating rays of the Tradetide sun warm his face.

So he had managed to get himself here. Wherever 'here' was. Dragonskeep. That sounded about right. What was his next task?

"The Knights..." he murmured aloud, his eyes opening a tad. That's right. Joining the proud and powerful Dragon Knights was going to be a difficult and extreme priority, but it was next on his list, and he'd do anything he possibly could to get there.

The blonde teenager adjusted his backpack, which he had merely slung over his shoulder. His halberd was currently being used as a walkingstick of sorts, and he knew that once he had a chance to sit down, he'd get to cleaning it- as he always seemed fond of doing. He set off towards the gates.

As he approached, he eyed a guard looking in his direction. Cautiously, he strode up to the man, before stopping abruptly as in a gruff voice he was asked, "Who goes there?".

Gold eyes blinked. "Erm- I'm Nïkolæran d`Aìenura, sir. I'd like to join the Knights, if you could possibly point me in the right direction...?" He requested kindly, trying to shrug off the look the man was giving him. Nik smiled politely, then remembered another important question. "I'm also looking for somewhere to purchase a map. There is a market here, aye?"
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Boxil

The guard seemed unconvinced, and still rather testy and on edge.

"Misunderstanding? How in the name of the Seven Hells is there a misunderstanding? You were trying to pose as my friend, and I appreciate it none too much!"

One of the other guards put a hand on his shoulder.

"Easy there, Duncan. Be still. There's no need to get upset." The other guard gazed down at Boxil with an expression that was equal parts concerned and stern.

"Now see here Master Boxil. Its all well and good to seek out both work and entertainment within our walls, we have no issue with that. Just be sure that you don't slander the good bard Motley while you're doing so. He's an ugly, respectable little bastard, and we rather like him that way. Now you're free to go in, but another falsehood from you will have you out in the open waiting for the wolves if you get my meaning. We're an honorable, peaceable folk here. We don't take kindly to those who would rather cheat and lie to earn their keep."

The guard gestured for Boxil to go on in.

"We'll be watching..." Came Duncan's voice behind him.

Nikolaeran

The guard looked down at Nikolaeran from the high walkway above, sunlight glinting off points of his armor like tiny stars.

"Come around the Drum..."

The guard motioned for the newcomer to walk around the large stone tower that crested the walls and served as the first line of defense.

"... and through the gate. Then stay to your left as you pass. The Warden will be instructing the new recruits as soon as we clear the causeway. Ask for Blacktree or Commander Lockwood."

Nikolaeran's following question seemed to puzzle the guardsman for a few brief flickers.

"Maps? Aye, there is a market, but that won't be for few days yet. I would seek out Amah, Jome Amah, the Seneschal. Good luck to ye."
Boxil
Civus

Post by Boxil »

Boxil sighed in relief, all in all things could have been much worse. Bolstered by his entrance into the keep, he turned back to Duncan's call.

"You can watch me as much as you like, just make sure you tip. I hope to see you later gentlemen." The halfling quickly went along his way.
Rahilu
Civus

Post by Rahilu »

Nik dipped his blonde head to the man. "Thank you, sir."

Without another moment's pause, he took to the guard's orders and went around the side of the 'Drum'. The large gates beckoned before him, and he proceeded forwards with a slight smile, determined that he'd get used to this place.

As he was instructed, the teenage male stayed to the left of the area once he had passed under the towering gates. Then he stopped once again, confused, and glanced over his shoulder. He had stayed left. He was passed the gates.

Who was he supposed to ask? Nïkolæran's determination fell quite quickly, and he bit his lip in frustration as the noise around him grew louder. There were horses all over the place- he yearned for one of his own, but knew right now wasn't the time to shop. As much as he knew what he was supposed to be doing... he didn't.

"Excuse me," he practiced talking under his breath, "Are you able to direct me to some fair fellows called Lockwood or Blacktree? I'm.... ah... lost." He breathed in annoyance. He arrogantly tapped the end of his halberd on the ground, his eyes wandering aimlessly. He didn't have the will to walk up to some person he didn't know, only to ask for someone else. He supposed, he'd have to wait for either further direction, or for some passerby to wonder out loud why there was an odd boy standing off to the left side of the causeway.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC:

Niko and Boxil;

Now that you are both through the gates, I'm going to timestamp you at Chyril the 27th, Trade Tide as your entrance time. You can assume a comfortable and enjoyable meal as night fell, then you are free to begin a new thread while inside the keep, or feel free to join us here (which I heartily recommend) ;

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15361

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks!

V.

Asenath Bahan
Civus

Post by Asenath Bahan »

Asenath stood in the blazing sun, peering up at the great castle that stood before her. While the others around her murmered in appreciation, Asenath just shook her head. She did not quite understand the fascination with trying to build structures that would last forever. Surely the desert would have this monstrosity worn down to nothing within a couple of decades, if not sooner.

With a shrug, Asenath moved into the line that was quickly forming in front of the tower. She did not pay much attention to the people around her as they gave their reasons for entering the city. Their answers did not matter much to her, seeing as she would not be in the city for very long. "My name is Asenath Bahan. I'm travelling to the Eastern Empire, and I need to stop here to rest and replenish my supplies," she said, hoping that her answer would be sufficient enough. Asenath was anxious to truly start her journey, and she needed to get some rest before she ventured out into the unknown.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The guards gave Asenath a careful visual appraisal as she approached. In yahren past, the people of Dragonskeep had been at odds with the desert dwellers, but in recent months, things had warmed between the two peoples and the gates were now open to those from the dunes.

"Be at ease Asenath Bahan." One of the guardsmen told her. "There are places to replenish your supplies inside. The Count expects you to uphold the peace he has wrought here, so be sure to do so."

It wasn't necessarily a threat, or anything directed specifically at her, but the guardsman did grip the pommel of his sword a little tighter, lifting it a little from his belt for emphasis.

"Move on in, there is a market square ahead and to the right."

She was allowed to pass and not given a second thought at that point. The guards resumed their scanning of the horizon for other arrivals.

OOC: Please forgive me, the recess and RL kept me away a bit. We'll be moving forward now. Feel free to start a new thread inside the keep, and thanks for your patience!

Return to “The Baron Estates”