PAX: Gate Tavern (30 jy mt)

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

PAX: Gate Tavern (30 jy mt)

Post by Ayolin Metalhand »

Nether's Gate stands just across the way from the Provost Office, and is near enough to the portal and large enough compared with the other, scant dwellings to dominate the newly formed and mutable skyline somewhat. Though only a mere three stories tall this is more than enough to dwarf the other buildings in its shadow, and it is wider and more strongly built than many of the surrounding homes - built along similar lines to the Provost Office itself in choosing practicality over aesthetic appearance. Two large firepots sit on either side of the wide door and, lit at night, create a welcoming glow to tempt passersby into the interior.

Inside, the shabby tavern is surprisingly clean and well lit, the floor strewn with clean straw among the polished but worn wooden tables and chairs. There is a long, wooden bar that dominates one wall of the place, though it is the most basic of things and is as practical and wooden as most of the rest of the place.

Beyond the main room, the 'Gate, as it's fondly known by much of the Pax Honestus, hosts a number of more intimate delights than mere beverages can provide. For not only is Nether's Gate a tavern, entertainment hall and gathering place for all, it also serves as a brothel. Upstairs one could hear the sound of giggling and running feet. The girls of the Nether's Gate knew how to please a man, and keep his mind off the rough daily life of Pax.

The current tavern owner is Melissa LaRouge and she is assisted by a barmaid Rosie. A trader called Morton Wanesman can often be found holding court here and a young achadhiel, Angelo can often be found drinking in a corner.

Looking around at Pax for the first time, Ayolin notices the poor state of the buildings, which are in total contradiction to the gates he just passed.

His eye is caught by a building which is standing out of the other ones. Upon closer inspection this turns out to be the Gate Tavern, the one Sergeant Caverton just recommended to him.

Now that's more like it. I need a place to stay and that there tavern looks excellent. Good place to get some information too. And while I'm at it, I might quench my thirst as well, after that humiliation I sure deserve a refreshment.

Ayolin walks up to the tavern and enters. There are not many people, but that's normal this time of day. Hesitantly he looks around the main room. The place is tidy and well lit, quite different from what he was used to at home.

Not at all confident Ayolin stands in the doorway, indecisive for a few seconds. He's got the feeling everybody's looking at him, like they all saw his humiliation at the gates earlier. After a short time wondering if he couldn't just run out of the door Ayolins thirst urges him further in and he makes his way to the bar.
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Although there were very few customers in the tavern this morningtide, the place was a hive of activity with barmaids and kitchen staff scurrying around at a rapid pace. The pungent spell of spices wafted through the bar area from an open door that clearly led into the kitchen. Behind the bar, a woman with flaming red hair was busy loading mugs onto a tray. She was assisted by a young, blond-haired girl who was humming softly as she went about her work.

As Avolin made his way to the bar, he received a polite nod from a young achadhiel sitting at a stool located at one corner of the bar. The youth had long, dark hair platted into a number of separate strands. On the end of every strand were small, decorated clips and brooches. He was elegantly attired in a knee-length black coat, dark green leggings and high, leather boots. The only other person of note in the bar was a grimy-looking dwarf who sat by himself at a large table, his head morosely propped up by his grubby hands. A large piece of parchment lay on the table, its edges held open by a coin at each corner.

When Avolin reached the bar, he was ignored for almost a full burn before the blond barmaid caught sight of him and hurried over.

“Sorry,” she said with a quick smile. “We’re busy preparing for the festival that starts tonight. What can I get you? Ale? Wine? Some food? Or, perhaps a room?”
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

As Ayolin reached the bar he was overlooked for some time by the taverns personnel. Feeling like he should speak up but not daring to he started looking around the place. He had seen the young achadhiel as he entered. His flashy appearance appalled Ayolin.

There is no need for a man of any race to decorate himself with things like clips and brooches, only women do things like that.

He also noted one of his kin sitting at a table, who was apparently very busy studying some peace of parchment.

A fellow dwarf! I haven't seen one in days. I will move up to him and have a drink. He might know a thing or two about this strange place

Just as Ayolin started to make his way to the dwarf he was interrupted by the barmaid.

“Sorry,” she said with a quick smile. “We’re busy preparing for the festival that starts tonight. What can I get you? Ale? Wine? Some food? Or, perhaps a room?”

"Ooohw, finally" Ayolin sighed. "I'd like some ale to start with, I'm very thirsty. And some food would be nice too. Actually, I need some place to stay as well, have you got a vacancy on something not to fancy?"

"And if you want to take my name to write on the tab, it's Ayolin. With a Y that is, not a V, people tend to make that mistake sometimes."
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

The barmaid laughed brightly. “Ayolin with a y, it is then. I’m not very good with letters myself. Fortunately, I’m Rosie – no y’s or v’s for me unless I’m much mistaken.”

As she was speaking, the blond girl poured out a mug of deep, dark foaming ale and plonked it onto the bar in front of the dwarf. “Here’s your ale. As for food, well the special today is a spiced meat stew, if that’s what you would like. You are in luck, for we do have a room available for a fair price. A gentleman left in a hurry last night.” She frowned for a flicker before continuing.

“The room is plain but pleasant although I doubt that you will find better elsewhere in town. Accommodation is scarce since the refugees started arriving again. We charge four banner a night but if you stay more than two nights, the price drops to three. A bath is a banner extra and just let me know if you want someone to scrub your back.”

The morose-looking dwarf ambled over to the bar and placed down an empty mug. “Fill it up when you’re ready, Rosie,” he said in a flat, low voice, giving a quick nod of acknowledgement to Ayolin.
Luca di Fabro
Civus

Post by Luca di Fabro »

Finally the day had arrived. Midsummersday. Today there were several business deals to be made. And it was all going to happen at the Gate. It had become Luca's second home in the last couple of months, his office, so to speak.

He stepped into the tavern early today, because he wanted to prepare. He had a meeting with a farmer, Harden Slater, who wanted to do some business with him. This was good. Luca could use a good supplier. He was very interested in seeing Harden. That was the fun part of the day.

Or was it? The second thing on the program was his deal with Rufus. The man had turned out to be quite a pain in the ass. But Luca had come up with a plan. A plan that would be fully executed today. Rufus was bound to show up in the tavern somewhere during the day, perhaps he was already in, still sleeping in one of the girl's rooms upstairs. Luca had filled Denas in on the plan so that he would be prepared. Denas was on his way from Brie with a shipment of food and some weed today. He would be arriving tonight. It was less weed than usual, but that had a special reason.

For now, Luca would wait until either Rufus or Harden showed up. Or some other costumer of course. The mouthie went over to the bar and greeted Rosie like he always did. "Buongiorno, bella! As always, you look plain stunning today, Rosie." He grinned. "I'd love to have some breakfast, you know what I like." He gave her a wink and leaned casually against the bar. He didn't take a seat because once the order and the chitchat were done, he would go over to sit at his regular table.

OOC: making some assumptions here, lemme know if I need to change anything.
Last edited by Luca di Fabro on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta make your own kind of music, sing your own special song.
~The Mamas & the Papas
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

As soon as the girl let go of the ale, Ayolin grabbed the mug and chucked down more than half of it before putting it back on the bar with a loud bang.

Ayolin wiped his beard with the back of his hand.
"That's better, not a bad ale at all, where do you get this from?
Now, it's a bit early for a spiced meat stew, isn't it? But I'm so hungry right now anything will do. I tell you, I could eat a horse!"

"Oh, and I will take your word for the quality of the room. I'd like to stay for three days. A bath won't be necessary at the moment, maybe this evening."

As Ayolin finished the rest of his pint the grimy-looking dwarf approached the bar and put his mug on it asking for a refill. As he nodded, Ayolin approached him.

"Hello Master Dwarf, my name's Ayolin Metalhand. I'm from Kaza Rhun and have just arrived in Pax. Now, I noticed you were looking quite troubled at that piece of parchment on your table, but do you mind if I join you for a quick drink? It's been a while since I've spoken another dwarf and I'd like to get to know a bit more about this place as well. Allow me to pay for your ale, I'll get myself another one as well."

"Rosie? I'd like another dr........"
"Buongiorno, bella! As always, you look plain stunning today, Rosie." He grinned. "I'd love to have some breakfast, you know what I like." He gave her a wink and leaned casually against the bar. He didn't take a seat because once the order and the chitchat were done, he would go over to sit at his regular table.

Annoyed at being cut off in the middle of his sentence Ayolin looked up to see who was this rude person. He saw a young human male with long black hair leaning casually against the bar. He looked to be very relaxed and confident in what he was doing.

He must not have noticed us.

Ayolin turned to face the man. "Excuse me tall one, we were ordering some ale here. Perhaps you could try to wait for your turn? Thank you."

"Another ale for me please, Rosie." Ayolin said turning to face the dwarf again.
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

There was no immediate sign of either Slater or Rufus in the tavern when Luca entered. However, the farmer had indicated that he would be in the tavern later that morning and rarely a day went by without Rufus knocking down an ale or two, so it was merely a matter of time before one or other arrived. The only customer Luca recognised was the strange, braided achadhiel, Angelo, who spent much time sitting around the bar always appearing somewhat lost. When he arrived at the bar, Luca found Rosie already serving two dwarven customers.

“The ale is brewed by the gnomes who run the Father’s Grace,” explained Rosie to Ayolin. “We don’t usually use their ale but we needed extra supplies for the festival. That will be nine banners for the room and your first ale is on the house.” She held out her hand for the banners. Once she had received the coins, she would hand the dwarf a large iron key. “Room 7, straight up the stairs and on the left.”

The grimy dwarf continued to look exceedingly grumpy as Ayolin introduced himself. However, his countenance brightened considerably when he was offered free ale. “You’re welcome to join me,” the dwarf muttered, pushing his empty mug over to Ayolin before stomping back to his table.

Ayolin was about to order new drinks for himself and the other dwarf when Luca arrived and greeted Rosie. The barmaid responded to the new arrival with a broad smile and bright laugh.

Ayolin turned to face the man. "Excuse me tall one, we were ordering some ale here. Perhaps you could try to wait for your turn? Thank you."

"Another ale for me please, Rosie.
Luca di Fabro
Civus

Post by Luca di Fabro »

Looking down as he suddenly was spoken to, Luca laughed merrily as he apparently had stepped on the dwarf's toes. "Scuza, Signor! Completely my fault! Please give me the opportunity to make up for it, my friend"

He turned back to Rosie, who seemed to be in a cheerful mood today. "Rosie, could you please put the drinks of these fine gentlemen on my tab? And please give them something to nibble on as well." He leaned in just a little bit more. "In my opinion anyone who comes to Pax should be given a taste of your amazing cooking skills."

This time he waited nicely in turn, perhaps the dwarf had some other things to discuss with Rosie. Once he was done, Luca would direct his attention once more to the girl. The summer festival was about to begin that night and since Ophelia had to perform he couldn't go with her. More so, all of his attempts to woo her in the last two months had failed. The Mouthies hormones were almost going out of control being so close to a beautiful woman and still not getting any. So he had decided it was time to look for some other opportunities. Of course there were the hookers upstairs, but he wasn't that desperate. As far as he knew, Rosie just worked behind the bar and in the kitchen, not upstairs...

"Tell me, mi amore, do they have you workin here all day, or are you going to the summerfestival tonight?"

OOC: I made the assumption that Rosie isn't working upstairs, since Luca has spent a lot of time in the tavern the last couple of months, he'd probably have notices, so if my assumption is wrong, please let me know. Thanks!
Last edited by Luca di Fabro on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
~The Mamas & the Papas
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

Ayolin rubbed his sore foot not entirely sure if his little toe survived the brutes massive undercarriage.

"That'll be fine lad, that'll be just fine. Just be sure you mind your manners the next time. We don't like to be overlooked." Ayolin said grumpy while pointing his index finger at the man. The prospect of a free drink however more than made up for his aching toes and the rude manner in which he had been overlooked, so he quickly turned to take the mugs of ale.

Ayolin took the drinks from the bar and answered Rosie's smile with a grin which was intended to look friendly but could just as easily be interpreted as disrespectful or menacing. With the two drinks in his hand Ayolin swayed to the other dwarfs' table, unconsciously trying to save his hurting foot.

At the table Ayolin puts the mugs in front of the other dwarf and plumped down his backpack next to the table.

"It seems we are in luck, the idiot over there who stepped on my toes bought the both of us a pint and I'm pretty sure that barmaid will get us something to eat as well. I didn't catch your name by the way?"

Ayolin paused briefly to enjoy a good drink. As he put down his mug he started to speak to the dwarf. The dwarfs features had brightened at the prospect of a free drink but he was apparently still grinding on some problem which had something to do with the piece of parchment which now lay right before Ayolin. Anxious to ask the first dwarf he met if he had known his father Ragnax, Ayolin decided to make smalltalk to gain the dwarfs trust and to loosen him up a bit first. As he started talking Ayolin tried to take an inconspicuous look at the paper.

"I've arrived from Kaza Rhun today, it's been quite the journey. I've been working in the mines there for several years. But it seems I arrived here at exactly the right time with all this talk I hear about a festival. What is it that they are celebrating?"
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

What does it all mean?

The killer awakened, and already her mind was at full tilt even though her eyes were barely opened to face the day. The cloaked figure, his cryptic message. Who was this she? Does this have anything to do with the coming of the barons? Had she allowed herself to do so, Raevyn would possibly drive herself insane trying to think of what all of it meant. It was at that moment, that the adhiel decided to think on it no longer. Nightfall, and the festival were still marks away, fretting over it now would do no good.

The one thing Raevyn was certain of was that she wouldn't be going to the circles without Nemonis. Of her followers, he was the most capable fighter. So she charged him with the duty of being her bodyguard of sorts, even though she was more than capable of protecting herself.

Another certainty was that the young priestess needed to find that dwarf to speak with him once again about the wolves. That she could leave for the other two to do. But first, breakfast. Raevyn got dressed first then she put her daggers carefully into their respective sheaths. Two up the sleeves of her shirt, one attached to her both, the final blade was inserted into a sheath that rested high up her inner thigh. It was habit for Raevyn now as surprisingly she had not once drawn them since arriving in Pax Balthasar. Or perhaps it was the comfort that she felt simply by knowing that they were there. Raevyn didn't bother to put on make up or try to alter her appearance in any form at all. Today she was simply Raevyn, for the moment at least.

Once she was prepared Raevyn left her room and went downstairs. The tavern seemed quite busy, even at this time of the morning. Surely in preparations for the festival later this evening. The adhiel searched the room, taking note of the familiar and not so familiar faces that were already there. She then looked for a place to sit. Once she found a seat that kept her back to the wall she would sit down and order. Food would do her body wonders, and for the first time in over a week she had a healthy appetite worked up.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Guido Cercatoro

“Buying free drinks are we? I like man who’s free with his money.” She gave Luca a quick and obvious flash of her lashes before setting the filled mugs of ale down on the table.

Tell me, mi amore, do they have you workin here all day, or are you going to the summerfestival tonight?"

“Melissa’s promised me a couple of marks off this even’tide, unless it gets insanely busy, so I might take a look. Trouble is, I’m a little low on funds at the present and I’d really like to try some of the games out.” She laughed gaily, leaning over the bar and favouring her customer with a close-up view of her ample cleavage.

"It seems we are in luck, the idiot over there who stepped on my toes bought the both of us a pint and I'm pretty sure that barmaid will get us something to eat as well. I didn't catch your name by the way?"

The grimy dwarf looked much happier when the ale appeared and he even gave a short laugh at Ayolin’s comment.

“My name’s Felmgrind,” muttered the dwarf in a low monotone, his eyes floating back to the parchment on the table. Ayolin's quick glance indicated that the parchment contained a hand-drawn map of some sort. To decipher more would take a longer look which his companion would almost certainly notice.

"I've arrived from Kaza Rhun today, it's been quite the journey. I've been working in the mines there for several years. But it seems I arrived here at exactly the right time with all this talk I hear about a festival. What is it that they are celebrating?"

“Summer festival,” muttered the dwarf. “Although why anyone would celebrate in this forsaken place is beyond me.” He paused for a flicker taking a deep gulp of his ale. “Miner, are you? Well we have something in common for it’s my trade too. Plenty of work here, if you’re prepared to take a risk or two.” His gaze dropped once more to the map.

Raevyn’s quick scan of the bar as she entered revealed a number of familiar figures. The braided achadhiel, Angelo, was sitting at his usual spot on a stool at one corner of the bar; the dark-haired young Mouthie who often frequented the tavern was chatting to Rosie at the bar and an adhiel businessman who often had a morning meal at the Gate was tucking into a plate of bacon, eggs and bread. There were others he didn’t recognise including two dwarfs seated at a table with a parchment spread before them and a single guardsman sat alone idly flicking a coin in the air.

It was only a flicker before Melissa arrived at Raevyn’s table. “What can I get you this morning?” She spoke in a friendly tone but had a more harassed looking appearance than usual.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

The two dwarfs were the first things that Raevyn noticed after a semi thorough perusing of the room. For a flicker she thought that the one was the one she had seen previously, but the adhiel wasn't quite sure. Nor would she act on the impulse of thought. Raevyn had for the most part managed to keep her sometimes impulsive nature under control, especially after the fiasco a few months ago. Besides, Raevyn had already decided that she would have two of her charges find him and bring him to her. It was much easier that way.

No one who had ever known the assassin would make the mistake of calling Raevyn a compassionate person. For the most part Raevyn didn't care for anyone unless knowing them benefited her in some way. It was different with Melissa however. Melissa had taken care of Raevyn and helped her survive her borderline suicidal rituals, and for that Raevyn would be forever grateful to her. Not only that, Melissa had proved to be a fountain of information, and without the bar owner's help, Raevyn wouldn't know all that she currently knew about recent goings on.

"I'll take the," her voice trailed off when she noticed how Melissa looked. There was something wrong with her and immediately Raevyn looked around the room to see if it was anything that she could notice right off hand.

Raevyn lowered her voice to just above a whisper so that hopefully only Melissa could hear and asked if she was ok and if she would like to talk. It was the least that Raevyn could do for her after all. She even went as far as to offer Melissa a seat in case she did want to sit and talk.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

"It's nice to meet you Felmgrin. There don't seem to be many dwarfs around here. But I haven't been here this long, perhaps I will have a chance to meet more of our kin later."

"Yes, I am a miner. I've been a miner for almost as long as I can remember. I love doing it. It's the iron, you know. I love the smell and touch of the raw ore, before anybody has had their filthy hands on it. It's been in the ground for perhaps millions and millions of years and I, Ayolin, am the one to dig it out. Chopping away the rocks imprisoning it one stroke at a time. You know the feeling right? I guess it takes a dwarf to get it, those tall folks wouldn't appreciate the finer arts of mining."

"It's just that so much ore is wasted in poor craftmanship, that's why I quit. Couldn't stand to see ill crafted steel. I bet that I would make a great smith. If I could just find someone to show me the ropes."

As Ayolin drinks the last of his ale he looks expectantly at Felmgrind, hoping the dwarf would catch his drift.
Perhaps Felmgrind knows of a smith in town that might be willing to take me in as an apprentice. Doesn't even have to pay me an awful lot as long as I can pay for a roof over my head and some food.

Still curious about the map Ayolin decides to ask Felmgrind about it rather then risk looking nosy when taking a good look by himself.
"And what is that map that's disturbing you so much? There is no trouble in the world that can't be solved with some good ale. Come, let us drink one more! There might not be so much to celebrate here, but I've travelled a long way and as I understand it, we've got this festival to thank for this splendid als they are serving us today."

I don't know if I should order another mug of ale. It's still early and before I know it I'll be crawling up the stairs to my room. Wouldn't get much done today that way.

On the other hand...........

"Rosie! Could you pour us another one!?"
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

While Raevyn sat there placing her order, she also tried to listen in on some of the conversations going on around her. One of the gifts of her heritage was a keen sense of hearing, or for her intent here, listening in on others. The two dwarfs in particular had caught her immediate attention. It wasn't just because they were dwarfs, it was more because she couldn't remember which dwarf it was that she had spoken to about the wolves.

"The usual," Raevyn then said as she remembered that she was ordering breakfast. Breakfast that normally consisted of warm fresh baked bread, along with a wedge of cheese and a generous helping of fruits and berries.

"Please, Melissa, have a seat," she said while continuing to talk in the human tongue. She was getting better at it by leaps and bounds and no longer found it to be as frustrating as it used to be too her. Still the assassin would revert to her own tongue when she was overly excited about something, and the occasion adhiel word would be tossed in. For the most part however, speaking the language of the humans was something she felt comfortable with.

Guido Cercatoro

Raevyn could detect nothing with her quick glance around the tavern that could account for Melissa’s rather fraught appearance.

“I bet that I would make a great smith. If I could just find someone to show me the ropes.”

“Well you may be in luck. Oswald Hammer is the best smith in town. He has one apprentice but with all the extra trade he’s been getting lately, I hear he is looking for another,” said Felmgrind, helpfully.

“And what is that map that's disturbing you so much?”

The dwarf gave Ayolin a suspicious look as if he suspected his motives in asking the question but then the grimy-faced miner shrugged. “This map represents my fortune or my fate,” he answered cryptically, running one hand through his beard. "The question is, am I willing to take the risk. What would you do my friend, if you saw the chance for great wealth but knew that it might bring you to a premature end? Would you take the risk?”

Rosie quickly arrived with two more ales in response to ayolin’s order.

Raevyn was now convinced that she had met neither of the dwarves before but she overheard enough of their conversation to get the basic message: it appeared that one of the dwarves claimed to have some sort of treasure map.

Melissa shouted over Raevyn’s order to a young boy who worked in the kitchens and then took a seat by the adhiel. The flame-haired woman sighed. “I’m worked off my feet getting ready for the festival,” she explained. “It’s a good chance for extra business and I need the banners.” The woman had an almost desperate look on her face as she mentioned money, giving the distinct impression that she was in dire straits.
Luca di Fabro
Civus

Post by Luca di Fabro »

Luca enjoyed the view as Rosalie leaned over the bar. He didn't hide his interest in her cleavage. She was showing it off, so she wanted him to watch. His grin widened and he slowly let his eyes move upward, carefully inspecting her cleavage, her lovely neck, her nice red, soft lips, her cute nose and her twinkling eyes. "I'll tell you what. I'll make sure you can play the games, but you'd better win me some prizes."

He casually shifted his weight to the other side. "It'll be fun, turning things around for a change, what do you think, amore?"

Then Rosie got called by the dwarfs and he had to wait for her to return before she could give him her answer. He turned around to follow her back and forth, still leaning against the bar. When she returned he gently grabbed her hand and turned it with the palm up. Playfully he started to stroke her hand with his finger. "So..bella, what do you think? Want to have some fun tonight?"
~The Mamas & the Papas
Guido Cercatoro

Luca

"So..bella, what do you think? Want to have some fun tonight?"

The young barmaid giggled. “I just love playing games. Meet me at the entrance to the festival field, the second mark of even’tide.” She leaned close to Luca, brushing her lips against his ear. “Don’t get your hopes up too much big boy, I’m a good girl.”

As Luca’s ear was being warmed by the hot breath of the blond barmaid, he caught sight of a new arrival, the tall farmer Harden Slater. The farmer took a seat at a table in a quiet corner of the tavern directing a quick nod towards Luca.
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

Ayolin absently paid Rosie for the ale. Something interesting was going on here and Ayolins un-dwarven like sense of adventure was kicking in. Determined to find out what exactly his fellow dwarf was talking about, Ayolin tried to come up with the most diplomatic answer he could think of.

"It depends how much I have to loose. But as a man whos belongings fit in a small backapck I certainly think I'd take my chances."

Ayolin squeezed one eye as if plotting a conspiracy and leant forward towards Felmgrind.

"You know, my friend, I don't mean to pry or anything. A dwarf's business is ones own I always say, but if you need a hand, that blacksmith can wait." He whispered.

Leaning back in his chair, Ayolin anxiously awaited Felmgrind's reply. Meanwhile he grabs his mug and takes a deep chug of ale which leaving his beard covered in foam, turning it from bright red to clear-white.
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Ayolin

Felmgrind pursed his lips as if trying to decide whether or not to accept Ayolin’s offer of help. After a good half a burn, he leant forwards and spoke quietly. “If I do embark upon this venture, I will need some assistance and mining experience would be ideal.”

“I have worked for some time in Dawgrim’s mine in the mountains,” he continued, frowning as he spoke. “At first it was good work but, of late, there have been several mine collapses and other incidents.” He did not elaborate further on these other incidents but his frown deepened until his forehead was covered in deep furrows.

“In any event, I had been thinking of leaving but there is little other work for miners in these parts. However, one day in this very tavern I met an old miner who was passing through Pax. Many years ago before Pax was established, this fellow worked in the mountains here. For some reason or other, the mine he was working at was never fully worked out and he claims there are still precious metals to find there. I did him a favour and in return he gave me this map for he was too old and infirm to return there.”

“There are two problems with investigating this further.” The dwarf let a small smile escape across his face. “First, it is close to Dawgrim’s mine and he may feel it falls within his area of operation. Any work must be done in secret, perhaps at night. And second, there have been several earth tremors of late. The mine workings may be unstable.”

“What I plan to do it is to go there and do an initial survey to check if the miner was telling the truth. What do you say? Are you interested in such a venture?”
Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

Ayolin listened silently as Felmgrind told him about his plans. He got so into the story he totally forgot to wipe his mouth after his last drink. When the dwarf finished, things grew silent for a few seconds. Ayolin sat staring at Felmgrind as he let his words sank in.

I'd really like to get into some mining. I really miss it. Hell, I'd go in there for free! I'd better not show Felmgrind. It's no use for you to look anxious to get cracking. There's money to be made so I'd better emphasize the risks a bit. That might give me a clearer look on the dangers as well.

Ayolin tried to show a neutral face, but his eyes still glimmered at the prospect of getting back down below.

"You say you worked for this Dawgrim character. What is he like? I don't mind a bit of a risk, but I need to know if it weighs up against the profits, you know what I mean.
And working in the dark can be very, very dangerous. I assume we need to use as little lighting as possible too. Luckily I'm quite the mountaineer as well. My skills can save us from plunging into an abyss we never saw coming until the signal for lack of grip reaches our brain the same time we hit the ground a couple of hundred paces below."

"I just like to get to know as much as I can before I get into this and I'd like to know what's in it for me." Ayolin said hesitantly.

"One other question: You didn't happen to catch the name of that old miner didn't you?"

Ayolin was already feeling a bit drowsy. The beer is getting to me more than usual. It must be because I'm exhausted from my travels. So he ordered another drink for himself and Felmgrind. He had to keep the old dwarf talking.
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Ayolin.

“Dawgrim used to be a good boss,” ventured Felmgrind. “Lately though, he’s been driving everyone too hard. Some say he’s become obsessed with making money; others that it’s something to do with that ruffian Rufus who keeps coming to visit him. No-one knows for sure but it’s getting dangerous in the mine with the tremors and equipment going missing. Someone’s going to get killed one day, mark my words.”

The dwarf sighed. “We should be fine using lights once we’re in the mine but we need to pass close to the mining camp to get there; best to do that in the dark. We’ll need lanterns, ropes and some basic digging equipment. Nothing too fancy for the initial investigation. We just want to get in and out quickly to decide if there’s anything there worth mining. Better be armed as well, you never know what might have set up home in old mine workings.”

“I’’ll give you twenty per cent of anything we find,” said the dwarf, “assuming we only need the two of us. If we need more, well we might have to re-negotiate.”

“The miner was called Dewstone, if I recall correctly. Well, time for a decision. Are you in on this venture?”
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn took Melissa's hand, the only sign of emotion showed by the usually cold adhiel. "No need to worry," she responded in a hushed manner in order to not make her counterpart's business known to all at the inn.

"I will help you as best I can, as you have helped me." It was the least that Raevyn could do to help the one that had proved to be as beneficial to her as Melissa had been. "Tell me how much you need, and I will see that it somehow reaches you." Raevyn tightened the grip she had on Melissa's hand and offered somewhat of a reassuring smile.

Ayolin Metalhand
Civus

Ayolin grinned as Felmgrind mentioned they might need weapons.

"I can take on an entire army using only my hands!" he boasted. "But fine, I will bring my axe."

"I agree on the percentage, so I'm in. We need to agree on a time to leave. I'm exhausted and I need some rest first and we need to wait for sunset anyway. How 'bout we meet here in the tavern at sunset? If you arrange anything we need to take, I'm off to take a bath and to get some rest before we depart."
Last edited by Ayolin Metalhand on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Luca di Fabro
Civus

Post by Luca di Fabro »

A large smile appeared on Luca's face as Rosie drew the lines for their date that evening. He was quick to respond, whispering back in her hear. "Oh, I'm counting on you being good, amore." He gave her a quick kiss in her neck before he leaned back and turned around to casually walk over to the farmer.

While he walked over to the table, he grabbed a liquorice stick from his pocket. "Mornin', Mister Slater. How are you today?" The Mouthie put the liquorice stick between his teeth and sat down in the chair opposite to Harden. "Would you like anything to drink, or eat perhaps?"
~The Mamas & the Papas
Guido Cercatoro

Raevyn

“You are kind,” said Melissa with a smile, squeezing Raevyn’s hand. “But it is a large sum of money. I borrowed some crowns to start the business and times were tough at first. The interest on the loan has mounted up. The fat pig I borrowed it from, Morton Wanesman, is dead. However, according to Rufus who now runs Wanesman’s old business, he sold on the debt before he died to some fellow called Fenegris, whom I’ve never heard of. I had a note delivered yesterday which claims that I now owe 70 crowns and that he will claim the tavern as his own if I don’t pay by the end of the festival.”

Ayolin

The dwarf nodded in agreement. “Right, I’ll meet you here early even’tide. We can take the back trail which will be quicker but it will still take two marks to walk there. I can pack a donkey with any equipment we need.” With a final nod to Ayolin, the dwarf rolled up his map, downed his drink and left the tavern.

Luca

The tall farmer nodded to Luca. “Aye, food and some breakfast will be good.” He spoke in his usual slow and deliberate manner, rarely appearing to show much emotion. Perhaps he had been ground down by the failure of his crops or perhaps this was just his usual way of behaving. Luca had been able to find out little about the man’s background. However, many in Pax preferred to remain silent, not wanting to go over old memories. What was clear was that the fellow appeared to be desperate for the venture to succeed.

Return to “The Baron Estates”