Tuirdhiel’s Tavern - Jy 30th - MT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Tuirdhiel’s Tavern - Jy 30th - MT

Post by Ulder »

Standing prominently atop a small piece of raised ground in the north of Pax is an elegant two-story wooden building surrounded on three sides by a small copse of trees. A sign hanging in front of the building reveals that this is the Tuirdhiel’s Tavern (Warrior’s tavern). It is named after its adhiel owner, one Ardelis Celafaen, who claims to have been a warrior of some renown. It is a well-known haunt of many adhiel and achadhiel who resent the Oneist military occupation of the town. The youth leader Savarak is known to frequent the tavern. Ardelis welcomes humans into his establishment but some of his clientele are less welcoming.

Inside, the tavern consists of a large common room dotted with tables and chairs, whilst a bar counter stands at the rear. Ardelis or one of his staff will typically be behind the bar. Simple meals and a fair range of wines and ale ares available here as are a number of rooms located on the second floor, which can be reached from a wooden staircase alongside the bar.

Savarak.

It was a name that Ulder had been grappling with since the very beginning of his time here in Pax. When they arrived, someone had written "Free Savarak" on a wall. The months that had passed since that time had revealed little else. The former Captain knew he was something of revolutionary, but the Adhiel himself had remained quicksilver elusive, and thus retained his enigmatic status.

Ulder pondered over this as he walked over to Tuirdhiel’s. Savarak had refused to meet with him for weeks, until recently, when a follower of the anonymous leader came to him to arrange this meeting. Was it because he was a human, and therefore subject to suspicion? Or was there some other reason that the Adhiel had kept Ulder at a distance? If he could not ask Savarak himself, then at the very least he hoped to hear something of an answer with his followers.

The erstwhile soldier was proud of his record and accomplishments since they had arrived in Pax. In his mind, Elaine, himself, and the Swordmark had acquitted themselves well. They had proven to be valuable citizens of the town, helping to maintain peace and order, providing food and supplies, all the while distancing themselves from the One-ist regime their control over the town.

He made his way inside the tavern. He'd eaten here a couple of times in the past few weeks, but this morningtide, the atmosphere for him was much different, and it made it seem like it was his first time inside. He took in the decorum, and began to make his way over to an empty table.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The tavern was unusually busy and filled with the low murmur of many separate conversations. Several of the tables contained groups of boisterous and animated achadhiel and adhiel youths. No doubt many were having a drink or meal in prepartion for the festival. Most took little notice of Ulder as he entered but he noted that a few scowls were apparent on the faces of a group of young achadhiel sitting at a table adjacent to the entrance.

The only vacant table was close to one end of the bar. As Ulder took a seat he could see that standing behind the bar was the burly owner of the tavern, who could frequently be heard regaling his customers with stories of his exploits. Whether his tales were true or not was difficult to ascertain. However, they were always entertaining and added to his formidable reputation.

Ardelis walked to the end of the bar closest to Ulder and greeted the new arrival with a quiet nod. “What can I get you? A drink or a meal, perhaps?”
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

The former Captain sat down and listened to the barkeep's tales of daring while looking the other way. He wanted to hear the stories and still look like he wasn't listening, so he kept his expression impassive and his eyes averted to the table in front of him.

He scanned the scratches and lines in the scarred and stained wood of the table top for signs and omens, like a soothsayer reading tea leaves, or an astrologer reading a palm. As Ardelis approached, he looked expectantly.

"Yes sir. Both actually. Whatever you have the most of will be fine. I'm hungry, not particular."

He tried to sound earnest and warm, and hoped it was coming across to the other man that way.

"Thank you." He nodded as the man went off to fill his order. He returned his attention to the table, tapping it lightly with the tips of his fingers. He didn't ask about Savarak, assuming the rebellious leader or his people were watching carefully, and would make their move when they felt comfortable with him.

Guido Cercatoro

The barkeep acknowledged the order with a friendly nod and a mug of deep, dark ale was soon placed on Ulder’s table. The top of the table proved to be decorated with a cross-hatch pattern of lined cuts, as if someone had spent some time carving the surface with a knife. A dark stain ran across a corner and then down one of the table’s sturdy legs. The former captain only a had a burn or two to examine the table before the barman returned with a bowl of steaming meat stew and a hunk of brown bread.

The sound of raised voices spread across the room from the group of boisterous youths sitting close to the tavern door. One of those seated at the table, possibly drunk by his manner, turned to sneer at Ulder. The achadhiel rose from his seat and staggered, ostentatiously bumping into Ulder's chair. “Sorry,” the youth murmured sarcastically. “Perhaps you might find a seat in the gate brothel more to your liking.” Stale, alcohol fuelled breath poured from his mouth as he remained swaying by the table.

A door to one side of the bar opened and a dark-haired achadhiel youth emerged. Observing the scene, he leant against the wall besides the door darting a quick glance towards the barkeep.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder began to eat, taking in the aroma of the hot food with an appreciative sniff before digging in. Before he had a chance to finish the first mouthful, a drunken youth bumped his chair, spilling some of the stew onto the stained table from his spoon.

“Perhaps you might find a seat in the gate brothel more to your liking.”

The Captain had been in enough situations like this to know when to speak up, and when to stay quiet. He resisted the urge to say the first thing that sprang to mind, which was "No, thanks, I just came from there, your sister is fine, but she'll be a little sore tomorrow."

Instead he just quietly scooted his chair over to be out of the drunk's path and sat down to return to his food. If he was being tested, he wouldn't cave in to violence, nor would he appear overly apologetic or weak. Instead, he chose to attempt to mind his own business and say nothing. If they were testing him, they would have to take it further.

He continued to eat, until they gave a reason to stop.

Guido Cercatoro

The drunken achadhiel appeared non-plussed by Ulder’s lack of response to the insult. He was a burly youth with a rather bent nose that appeared to have been broken at some time in the past, suggesting he was no stranger to barroom brawls. Clearly uncertain as to what to do, the youth stood there, his mouth gawping open.

As the youth’s inebriated mind slowly turned, an arm appeared around his shoulders. The achadhiel who had been standing by the open door had quietly and quickly moved across the room.

“You are in need of a drink, Demeris,” said the newcomer with a smile on his face. “Barman, get my friend a drink.” He propelled Demeris towards the bar and deposited him on a bar stool before returning to Ulder.

“My apologies. He likes his drink a lot and humans a little less. You must forgive him, for he has suffered much.” He glanced towards the youth who already had his face in another drink.

“I am Savarak and you must be Ulder.” The dark-haired youth extended a hand. The noise in the tavern dulled and then completely vanished. All was silent.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder gently nodded as the dark haired Adhiel dealt with his drunken friend.

So this is him...

Ulder stayed silent for a few flickers as he finished chewing his food as he noted the hush that had fallen over the room. He pushed his plate away and looked up and directly at Savarak.

"There is no need to apologize. What has happened here and in other places like Taloh Tel'Amrun are well known to me. Indeed he has suffered much, as have you all. I cannot be too upset with someone who has hurt and endured so much."

Ulder shook the offered hand warmly and firmly.

"I am Ulder, and I thank you for meeting with me. I have been trying to get your attention for some time now, and I am very grateful you have allowed me to meet with you."

Ulder made mention of the time that had passed, but did not emphasize it in a negative way. He hoped it came out as observation and not accusation.

"The suffering here in this town is precisely why I am here. In a strange way, we share the hurt of a common enemy. If now is a good time, I would very much like to speak with you about it."

He remained deferential. This was the house of Savarak, and he was merely a visitor, so he would continue to seek the Adhiel's permission in all things until they knew one another better.

Guido Cercatoro

Savarak took a firm grip on Ulder’s hand and shook it in a measured manner before taking a seat at the table. Throughout the tavern, conversations slowly began again but the atmosphere was subdued – perhaps expectant. From the doorway through which the renegade leader had arrived two youths emerged, one adhiel and one achadhiel . They took up positions either side of the door. One absent-mindedly shaved a piece of wood with a small knife.

“I have been busy,” explained Savarak, with a wide smile. He folded his hands behind his head with an ostentatious show of relaxation and confidence. “And, in truth, I was not sure I should meet you. Still, you have been persistent and so here we are.”

“And who is this common enemy of whom you speak? Tell me more.” The question was posed directly and forcefully. A pair of steely eyes focused on Ulder; behind the steeliness appeared to be a keen and perhaps stubborn intelligence.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder took note of the two others that remained close to Savarak.

They don't trust me yet. They think there is still a possibility of betrayal or ambush by me. Smart men, and a wise move. I would have done the same or more. Savarak is composed and at ease, because there are ten in here that will take my blood with nary a glance from him, but I think I can get them a little more interested in keeping me alive...

"I can certainly understand about you being busy. There is much to do."

He let the remark about his persistence go without reply. The fact that the rumored rebel leader said it aloud, was enough for Ulder.

Let the whole room hear it, and remember...

"Our common enemy are those who not only created this town, but are responsible for its governance, and I'm not speaking of Provost Sanguine. I'm talking about zealots and madmen who would enslave any who don't share their beliefs, and those that choose to follow the mandate of a dead king and the ties that bound him to a Church bent on domination and conquest instead of benevolence and goodwill."

"Surely you know of whom I speak now?"

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

A lone figure, shrouded completely in dark clothing and a heavy cloak entered the tavern. He walked with strange grace, light on his feet yet almost as if he were prowling like a cat.
While no weapons were visible, he did carry a long item in his hands. It was about six feet in length and about a foot in diameter. It appeared to be a roll of furs bound together by leather straps. The contents were unknown to anybody looking at him.

He had tracked his target to this place, and found that he was already engaged in another conversation. The new arrival preferred his identity remain unknown if at all possible, so he took a seat at a table away from everybody else in one of the back corners and waited until the two men were finished with their talk.

He gave his request for food and drink to the barkeep, and then sat alone in silence, watching the patrons of the place casually. The rolled package was sat against the wall in the corner behind him.

Now it was just time to watch and wait...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

Ulder’s response to Savarak was as clear and direct as the renegade’s question; there could have been few in the room who did not hear the words and once again, the inn fell silent. Several pairs of eyes turned towards Savarak and his guest whilst others contented themselves with glancing at the floor or the contents of their ale.

The youthful achadhiel said nothing for a few flickers, merely swaying his stool backwards on its rear legs and then forwards with a clatter that reverberated throughout the room. Finally, he let out a loud laugh: “Bold words, my friend.”

“What a bold fellow we have here,” he pronounced loudly. “Now, if one of us here was to say such words in the presence of any guards, we would surely be locked away. Yet, you have the confidence to speak out in such a robust fashion. Perhaps you wish to show off your sympathies to those present; or, perhaps you are confident that you are immune to arrest; or, perhaps you are merely a fool. What should we all think?” The words were heavily laced with irony and sarcasm but no menace.

Draydis entered in time to hear the tail end of Savarak’s response to Ulder. However, the adhiel’s entrance went virtually unnoticed as most of those present were listening intently to what was transpiring between Ulder and the young achadhiel with whom he was seated. A few eyes glanced briefly towards the cloaked figure but they lingered for little more than a flicker. The new arrival found a empty table in a corner close to the bar but the barkeep made no attempt to serve his new customer. On the table next to Dray was another lone figure, a middle-aged achadhiel with long, platted hair. The achadhiel was swirling the foam in his mug of ale with one finger; he darted a quick look at Dray and the package he carried before giving him a quick nod in greeting.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

The former Captain looked down at his hands on the surface of the table. He clasped his fingers together, interlocking them as they rested near the near empty plate of food he'd been eating.

He raised his head to regard Savarak once more.

"Tuirdhiel’s is a place well known for being against the occupation. If I speak boldly, then it is because I'm comforted by the security that you and your people have provided here. Does that make me a fool?"

He let the question linger for a moment before offering more, now letting his eyes travel around the room as he spoke.

"I don't think so. I'm no fool. I know there is much you already knew about me long before you ever agreed to speak with me, long before I ever set foot inside this establishment. If you had serious doubts or hesitations about me and my motives, I wouldn't be sitting here and likely you would not be either. You know I'm handfasted to an Achadhiel. You've seen the Swordmark and I helping both established residents and new arrivals alike. You've watched as we have returned criminals to justice, saved lives, and brought food and security to the people of this town. You know we have operated in Pax independent of the Provost, and yet still within each and every law and code."

His gaze fell upon the Adhiel again.

"Perhaps I am a fool. I certainly don't claim to be immune from it. I have done foolish things, and I have foolishly trusted those I should not have. I have stumbled in the darkness of my own stupidity, and I've tripped over my own ignorance. It may be that I'm even doing it right at this moment, so if I'm am a fool, let me be judged by my actions here. Let my deeds and the deeds of the Swordmark be the measure of us."
Last edited by Ulder on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Talanwei had timed his visit to follow Ulder’s. The Achadhiel had been seen with the Swordmark members but for the sake of safety he had come to the tavern behind the captain. It was busier than a normal day and given the tension of the recent events the atmosphere was stifling. The group that frequented Tuirdhiel’s was not always receptive to humans and when Talanwei entered, he saw an odd hush possessing the room. Quietly and paying close attention to the situation, Talanwei entered and leaned against the wall folding his arms. The Achadhiel watched and waited; should this Savarak have ill intent toward Ulder at least he would be here. When the two exchanged words, it started very tense and though the words of Savarak had lost little of their sarcasm or irony, they lost their menace. Talanwei heard that the young Achadhiel held a lot of outrage at the Oneists and was very prideful in general. Part of Talanwei harmonized with his views and the follower of Illuminatus realized that to have this man’s assistance would do much in the eyes of the community.

Ulder spoke and Talanwei listened to the words carefully. The Swordmark were becoming respected in Pax they were a force dedicated to delivering justice and equality to all its residents. The Achadhiel could not supress the smile he gave when Ulder mentioned him and when he declared himself a possible fool, Talanwei found it an opportune time to approach. He weaved through those seated and otherwise. The young swordsman nodded to the captain in greeting and to Savarak he inclined his head in a gesture of respect. This was his territory and insults here could prove grave mistakes. The follower of Illuminatus wore an expression was neutral yet his eyes were warm as he met the gaze of the young rebellious achadhiel.

"Namaste, achlaliel. We may be fools but I believe that your outrage and your desire for change are what brought us here. The Church wants obedience, wants submission, wants control. To cast 'pagans' into exile and still demand them to kneel? The folly of an archaic system. A man or womans life is one to live free of the influence of such fanaticism. Should one choose to worship the Mother, Aurelius, Pan, any god or no god at all; it is their choice and not that of another," said Talanwei in a clear and confident voice. These were his brothers and sisters. Some adhiel, some with mixed blood and otherwise. The follower of the Bright One knew that Savarak would not bend his will to anyone. The achadhiel hoped that it would appeal to the man that he had allies in the form of the Swordmark. Talanwei just hoped that allies were what he wanted.

"I am Talanwei Fortisse. A member of the Swordmark, a friend to those who wish change, and yes...I am also a fool, but a damned hopeful one," said Talanwei as he fixed his emerald gaze with Savarak's. With a smile he extended a hand in a gesture of his goodwill the achadhiel.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis took his seat, slightly annoyed yet relieved at the lack of attention from the barkeep. He returned the nod of the achadhiel at the next table, but did not offer any conversation. Instead, he sat quietly watching the events unfold before him.

Shortly, Tal joined the crowd at the tavern, which meant that Dray's conversation with Ulder in private might have to wait for another time. Draydis did not have any problems with Tal, and in fact, considered him a solid ally...for a reason that was entirely unclear to the guardsman. In many dreams, the pair had fought together, but this was not readily known to Dray's waking mind.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

There was total silence in the tavern as Ulder and then Talanwei spoke. Yet, from what they could garner from the faces of most of those present, they were listening with interest rather than hostility. Savarak stroked his chin with one hand as if in contemplation. Then, with a broad grin, he spoke quietly. “Well, I think we can rule out you both being fools.”

The young rebel banged his hand on the table. “It’s far too quiet in here. This is supposed to be a festival day. Drinks all round, bartender.” Almost instantly the buzz of conversation returned to the room and the distribution of the free drinks commenced.

Savarak leant forward. “We can speak with some degree of privacy now, although if you prefer we can retire to the back room.” His eyes swivelled to the door which was still guarded by the adhiel and achadhiel. “And your friend may join us if you wish.” He gazed towards Talanwei, nodding politely but not taking the outstretched hand.

“If you prefer to remain here, then speak. Tell me why the leader of the swordmark seeks me out.”

As the noise level in the tavern rose, Draydis could no longer hear the conversation that was occurring at Ulder’s table. However, a young achadhiel arrived at the adhiel's table with a foaming mug of ale. “Compliments of Savarak,” said the lad. “Do you want any food?”

Once the young boy had departed the achadhiel at the table next to Dray leant over in his direction. “What do you make of what just transpired? Why should the leader of the swordmark pay us a visit?” He spoke in a cultured but clipped voice.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray nodded in appreciation as the mug of ale was placed on his table. "Yes, food would be good." He placed his order for whatever the place had, and then focused his attention on the achadhiel next to him...

"There is one thing about Ulder...he is purposeful in his actions and words. A noble man, he is. He is certainly one that has a heart for justice."

The commander was slightly annoyed that he could no longer hear the conversation between Ulder and the others. He knew that joining them would not be an option...at least not at this point.

Draydis wondered to himself what his purpose was now that things were so different. This was the night that the creature of the woods had warned him about. There would be a dark wolf. The adhiel did not know exactly what the warning had meant, but he felt strongly as if he were destined to fight the creature. The Swordmark members would be welcomed allies, as their prowess in battle would certainly help with dispatching the wolf. But then again, perhaps this was why the Crone had blessed Draydis with his new form...he was to defeat the creature on his own.

There had been talk months ago about a wolf. Draydis had gone out on his own to find it. There were the boys that had agreed to go along with him, but Draydis had decided to leave without help. During his time in the woods, the adhiel hadn't seen any sign of the wolf...but then again, his focus had been almost entirely on the Mother and learning of Her ways.

This day would be interesting. The commander needed to speak with Ulder to warn about the wolf. He needed to find a shop to find some new clothing. Finally, the guardsman needed to prepare for war. He had a feeling that the wolf would seek him out...and Dray wanted to be ready for anything.

Thoughts of the past then danced into Dray's mind. He remembered a black-haired woman. She had captured his spirit and his heart almost immediately. His duty had been to protect her...a promise given to the Mother's Avatar. Something had happened...she had simply disappeared. It pulled at Dray's heart, and he regretted his inability to protect the woman...he hoped that Alantha was safe.

Finally, Dray's thoughts returned to the tavern. He did not know if he had missed anything said to him or not.

Instead of worrying though, Dray focused back on Ulder. The guardsman did have some experience with reading other's lips even when words could not be heard. He hoped that he could catch enough parts of the conversation to get a general idea of its content...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder leaned forward as well, more out of wanting Savarak to be able to hear him than for any real need of privacy at this point. He said nothing in response to Talanwei's kind and bold words, but he appreciated them greatly. He continued on as if the conversation had been just between the two of them.

"Thank you. I came to tell you that the freedom you seek is close at hand. This will be something that you will want to share with your people, but not the citizens of the town quite yet. The Swordmark came to Pax to liberate it and I believe we are close achieving that freedom. I recently spoke with Commander Carbonneau, and he is ordering the Pax Honestus to stand down and return with him to King's Court after the festival tonight. Tomorrow morning, Pax will wake up free."

Ulder let that important news sink in a flicker or two before he continued.

"Now as to what happens tomorrow morning, well that is the true question. Will it stand on its own? Will it be taken over by one of the other Border Estates? Much of the answer lies with the Provost. So I ask you, is he the kind of man that would declare independance? Or will he simply acquiesce to his father's wishes? Or perhaps simply pack up and leave it to the people here. Few can guess, but I imagine you know him, and you know him better than most. How do think he will react?"
Last edited by Ulder on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guido Cercatoro

Lost in his own thoughts, Draydis only vaguely heard the achadheil’s reply. “Aye, he seems a fair enough fellow and it is true that his group have done some good things in this town. Yet, I seem to recall some trouble when they first arrived and there are rumours of splits and dissensions in his group. Perhaps you have heard of this?” The achadhiel directed a pair of inquisitive eyes towards the adhiel, possibly indicating that the fellow’s query was more than mere idle conversation.

“I recently spoke with Commander Carbonneau, and he is ordering the Pax Honestus to stand down and return with him to King's Court after the festival tonight. Tomorrow morning, Pax will wake up free."

The young achadhiel’s face indicated total astonishment at Ulder’s words. “Stand down? Why would he do such a thing? He is the Commander of the King’s Army. It would be the action of a traitor.”

“As for the Provost, I can only say that he had been honourable in his dealings with me. Personally, I like the man. As far as I know there is no love lost between him and his father. There was some incident that resulted in his father sending him away from Foreno. I suspect that Marcel regarded his appointment here as some sort of punishment. However, his father might have had other motives. There are many resources in this valley; timber, stone, precious minerals and metals in the mountains. Perhaps Foreno has designs on this town. Yet, I doubt the Provost knows of such plans.”

“If what you say is true about the guard departing, then I fear there may be chaos. The Provost will have no resources to control the town, unless he calls on his father. Moreover, Foreno will certainly make a move on his own, for, as I am sure you know, he has troops stationed in the valley. Sadly, the citizens here are not united. I have some influence but there are others who would also seek to exploit the void.”

“Could you offer support to my group after the guard have departed? We would need it if we are to seize and hold control.” The youth’s eyes flickered between showing intense excitement and serious concern. He lifted his mug of beer and took a deep gulp, wiping the foam from his lips with the back of one hand.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder remained still and calm, not allowing the excited fever of the Adhiel leader to influence him.

"Why? I don't suppose I could give you a satisfactory answer to that. I guess the only reason I can think of is that you and your people are not alone in your beliefs. There are others, like me, like Commander Carbonneau that think this place should have never existed, or at least not as a prison to those who do not share the same faith in the One."

The leader of the Swordmark listened carefully as Savarak spoke of his experience with the Provost. It seemed if the kingdom itself didn't have designs for this place, the baron would. Ulder suspected that Foreno would likely be the source of any conflict that happened after the liberation.

"I spoke with the leaders of all the Baron Estates over the past few months, trying to secure food and supplies for the people here. Foreno was the one who was the least forthcoming with his aid, which tells me he has the most desire to control this town and its resources. If he invades, it is likely he will find the other leaders of the Estates against him, and he won't just be fighting us. He may find himself fighting them as well."

“If what you say is true about the guard departing, then I fear there may be chaos. The Provost will have no resources to control the town, unless he calls on his father. Moreover, Foreno will certainly make a move on his own, for, as I am sure you know, he has troops stationed in the valley. Sadly, the citizens here are not united. I have some influence but there are others who would also seek to exploit the void. Could you offer support to my group after the guard have departed? We would need it if we are to seize and hold control.”

This was the exact kind of sentiment that Ulder had been looking for. A true measure of what Savarak wanted. In this case, it seemed that power was his aim. Ulder swallowed and cleared his throat, stalling for a few flickers to compose himself.

"The Swordmark will support peace and order for anyone and everyone that chooses to stay. I'm not here to choose the leader of a free and liberated Pax. There are many here in town that might wish for Sanguine to stay in that role. There are many that might want you to lead here. There are many who might want someone or something else like a council to lead here."

Ulder opened his hands, as if they were tied.

"If it is the will of the people that you lead here, then I will support you, but make no mistake, the Swordmark will uphold the will of the people. Our mission has always been to liberate Pax from the control of the church, not kingmaking. We will not completely back anyone who doesn't have the support of the people, nor will we allow any other faction to come in and control it. If Foreno attempts to annex Pax into his territories, we will resist him. If the Church of the One attempts to regain control of Pax, we will resist them. A free and independent Pax is our goal. Once that has been achieved, then there will be no further need of us."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray continues to attempt to listen in to Ulder's conversation by reading the lips of those around the table. The deep hood of his cloak masked his face and eyes, so he was able to simply appear as if he were lost in thought and unmoving.

The commander did not change his focus to the achadhiel at the next table when he made his reply. "I only heard there was a dark elf that tried to kill somebody. I heard that she is still around this town. An evil one, she is for certain."

His voice lowered to almost a whisper. "Rumor has it that she eats babies."

There was nothing quite as fun as starting a good rumor. Raevyn had fallen off the path of the Guard, and he was certain that the past three months had not changed her at all. He did not trust her one bit, and hoped to never see her again. He had forgiven her for what she did, but it was certainly not forgotten.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

The achadheil allowed a small smile to form on his lips. “Well, the question of who rules in Pax is academic unless the guards truly do stand down and Foreno can be seen off. In any event, I have no desire to become some sort of dictator. I could work with the Provost or Merchants Council if need be but there are others who might wish to rid the town of all Oneists and any associated with their rule. It will take a strong hand to control events, even without the intervention of Foreno.”

“If the swordmark are seen to be in power after this eventide, the citizens of the town may view this as rule from the outside and resent it every bit as much as they resent Oneist rule. You will need a symbol of change from within the town and I can be that symbol, at least temporarily.”

“So,” continued Savarak, his eyes narrowing in concentration. “I will work with you to ensure that Pax is freed. However, if I am to control the wilder elements in the town, I must be at least put in temporary control. Perhaps, as a compromise, we might convene some sort of council incorporating leading citizens including the Provost if he will accept. If I was to lead such a council, it might prove acceptable to the majority of the population.”

Drumming one hand on the table, the youth leant forwards. “Foreno still worries me; he has a large number of troops and a powerful mage already in town. Do you have the resources to defeat him, should he intervene?”

From where he was sitting, Dray could not see Ulder’s face but he had a good view of Savarak and managed to decipher a few words. “I will work with you …Pax is freed…. temporary control…. council …leading citizens …..lead such a council..” It appeared as if Ulder and Savarak were negotiating some sort of arrangement for controlling the town.

“Aaah the dark woman,” nodded the achadhiel at the next table. “I have heard other rumours. She does not eat babies but perhaps she poisons them. Have you heard such a rumour? Do you know the God she follows?”
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

How this man knew about Raevyn was curious, but Draydis did not allow his voice to change any. He remained seemingly detached from the conversation, acting as if it were simply idle chatter. "I only know the rumors. If she is what you say, then she is clearly a menace to the people and should be hunted."

Draydis was pleased that his training on eavesdropping on conversations had paid off partially. He wished that he could see Ulder's face as well, but a basic idea of the conversation was understood. He continued to watch to see if he could learn more...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"The Pax Honestus will be ordered to stand down tonight. I cannot say how many will follow that order, only that the order is coming. As I said, I spoke with Commander Carbonneau personally, and unless the man is a liar, or about to become one, you can be assured that the order is coming."

Ulder smiled as he listened to the Adhiel leader's next comments. Savarak had slightly misunderstood his intentions, and he found the error amusing.

"I'm not going to seek any sort of control, that it not my intention, nor is it the intention of the Swordmark. We're not freeing Pax to rule it ourselves. I truly wish for this town to have its own autonomy and dominion over it's future, not for someone to come in and take all of that away. This is about freedom, not power. Not to me anyway."

Something in Savarak's continuing debate didn't sit well with him. It seemed as if the man were trying to maneuver into a role that didn't exist yet.

"I agree you can be a symbol of change. I agree that you could, could lead a new Pax Council. But again, I'm not here to make that determination. You're seem to be saying that the people will only rise up to fight for a new leader. I'm saying that we will fight either along side them, or for them, for their freedom, and then a new leader can be chosen. To me it's freedom first, leadership second. I imagine the people will rally behind someone they see fighting for them for a change. You know far better than I do that these people were forced here, imprisoned here against their will. Political wrangling before they even have a taste of freedom could be a dangerous tactic. It could be viewed as more of the same, meaning someone deciding their fate for them all over again. If that is your wish, so be it. But the Swordmark is here to fight for the people, not to be used as a pawn for control."

Savarak expressed some concerns about Foreno, and Ulder found himself agreeing.

"The Swordmark's ranks are filled with men and women who have received the finest training in the world. They came from an organization that is famed everywhere for their prowess, and that reputation is well earned. I strongly believe that with the help of the townspeople, our combined might will be able to stand against the Baron's forces. I went to Foreno personally. I have some idea of what he can throw at this place. I think we will make a good account of ourselves. As for mages, it was the Swordmark that brought Star and Moon to justice. The Provost was unable to keep them from escaping, but I've fought mages before. I'm confident we can succeed. There might even be a mage or two in the town that can combat them. There are ways to fight them."

Guido Cercatoro

Savarak listened quietly to Ulder’s words. When the leader of the swordmark had finished, the youth nodded slowly. “Very well. I understand your position. We may see things from different perspectives but we have the same ends in mind. The freedom of the citizens of this town. Let us seal our alliance.”

The achadhiel gestured to the adhiel standing at the nearby door. The adhiel strode quickly to the table and when prompted gave his dagger to Savarak. The youth unwrapped a piece of white cloth that was tied to his belt and lay the cloth on the table. The cloth was embroidered with some initials in one corner: S.T.

“One of the few mementos I have of my family,” explained the youth. He drew the edge of the blade across his palm and let the blood drop onto the cloth; a crimson stain spread over its surface. Then, he offered the blade to Ulder.

“Let our blood mingle on this cloth to acknowledge our pact.” The rebel had an almost messianic look on his face, his eyes burning with fervour.

Dray’s new acquaintance nodded his head as if in agreement with the other’s assertion concerning the dark elf. However, his next question involved a complete change of tack. “Tell me my friend, do you favour the Mother?”

Dray found it difficult to read more than a few words from Savarak’s lips but he did have a clear sight of the blade, the cloth and the blood that now stained the cloth.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray watched with interest as the blade was produced by Savarak. It was clear that some sort of deal had been reached. He remembered once when Thrandil and himself had made such a pact. They had sworn to treat one another as brothers and to uphold and protect the ideals of the Guard until the end of their days.

Now he was certain that Thrandil would attack on sight. It was sad how things had degraded since his arrival at Pax. He had lost his brother. Craghley was still a friend, but he hadn't seen the strange-talking man for three months now. Draydis wondered where he was at present, and decided to search him out after speaking with Ulder. It would be good to be unified with his friend and ally again...especially if the warning about a wolf attacking this very night were correct.

The achadhiel at the table next to him was starting to become a bit too inquisitive. For a moment, Dray's eyes looked over at him, and then returned to watch Ulder and Savarak. "What is your name?" He was now curious with whom it was exactly that he was talking.

DMD Member since 2005

Return to “The Baron Estates”