Pax: And One More Makes Four ~ Jygust 30, TT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

DeRohm shrugged. “It is the way of the world that some live in squalor so their betters may enjoy their riches. It is the natural order of things. I take no pleasure in their poverty and degradation, yet it is necessary for the way of life of the nobility to be maintained. I am sure that there are those in Brie who resent you Baron, despite your bleeding heart. You may scatter a few coins around to salve your conscience but I do not see you giving away all your wealth. I hear that some local youth would have us all bending to the will of pagans if he had his way. Have you heard of this fellow – Savarak or some such indigestible name.”

The young Lord let out a belly laugh, grabbing a half-empty bottle of wine and pouring it into his glass. The liquid flowed over the side of the glass pooling at its base.

“Clean this mess up,” DeRohm barked at the servant. “Unless you prefer to do so Baron, in the name of equality?
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

"Don't be an ass, DeRohm," Sebastian retorted with mild disgust and a disapproving look for his fellow nobleman. "Higher station or no, some common decency goes a long way, if you but dare to use it." Sebastian cast a brief, apologetic glance to the servant but made no move to clean up the mess himself. He knew that would only cause more trouble, for all of them.

"I'd not heard of this Savarak," the young baron forged ahead, trying to drag DeRohm's attention away from the target at hand. "I take it he's promoting the gods of the Isles over worship of the One? Hardly surprising, I suppose, since the majority in the city is a collection of displaced worshipers of that pantheon."

"Is it just talk or something more? There haven't been any incidents, I hope? I recall how the capital was torn to pieces when the zealots on both sides worked their havoc..." Sebastian grimaced at the memory, back when he was running the Vanguard. They were very difficult times, then. From the little he'd seen of Pax, a similar rift could tear the place apart in very short order.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

The servant scurried to mop up the spilt wine. DeRohm continued to drink: it appeared that the young Lord was intent on becoming drunk. Indeed, his whole manner was one of surly arrogance, as if the softening of his personality that Sebastian had detected in their last meeting, had either retreated or been merely superficial.

“Well, whatever they worship here, they must remember that they are still part of the Kingdom,” muttered DeRohm. “Why the Provost has dealt so liberally with these trouble makers I do not know. Apparently he had this Savarak in prison but released him. Should’ve cut off his head if you ask me.”

“In any event, there have been incidents here, lately, as you so politely put it. Seems like some sort of minor rebellion might be in the offing. Luckily, my father has his informants…” DeRohm grinned a wolvish grin. “I’d watch your back tonight baron, it could be dangerous.”

As DeRohm finished speaking, Sebastian saw the door to the room open. In walked the familiar figure of the Baroness of Murrelbuck accompanied by a tall, well-dressed man sporting an elegant moustache.

“Aaah, here they come,” whispered DeRohm, "the bad and the sad.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian struggled to maintain a bland facade as his blood turned to ice. Seems like some sort of minor rebellion might be in the offing. Luckily, my father has his informants…And DeRohm smiling that predatory smile of his. Like he knew a secret he wasn't supposed to know.

What do they know, the young baron thought in alarm. Was DeRohm implicating him in the rebellion he mentioned? Or was it something at a more grass-roots level, that this local instigator had sparked?

Sensing he might be on very dangerous ground, Sebastian was loath to try fishing for more specific information, even with DeRohm half in the bag. Nor did he see much value in debating the merits of a benevolent attitude toward those of a different religious persuasion - the wine server had already suffered enough abuse at DeRohm's hands. No, taking the words at face value was the best approach. After all, he was here to improve the plight of the people of Pax, not to overthrow the Regency. He was not a rebel.

"I hadn't realized our grasp on order was so tenuous," he replied soberly, acknowledging the weight of his drinking companion's words. "I shall indeed be careful, and guard against being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time."

That was when the baroness arrived, accompanied by another man he had not met. DeRohm's whispered introduction explained his earlier comments, though he was not sure what the Regent's son felt justified being "very, very bad". Sebastian had a healthy respect for Magdalena's guile though, so it was not much of a stretch to think of her in those terms. He was glad she was on his side, more or less. To have her as an outright enemy would be unsettling, to say the least.

Nodding his comprehension to DeRohm, he then raised his glass slightly to Magdalena to recognize her arrival and potentially entice her over. The tall man with her next drew Sebastian's eyes, as he tried to place this new arrival. He had thought Foreno was a short man, so that would make this...Killem'toh?
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC; the new arrival is Foreno. He’s undeveloped as an NPC but I thought he was tall?)

DeRohm gave no indication that he knew of anyone other than Savarak who was implicated in the potential rebellion. Indeed, he spoke as if it was just a little, local difficulty.

“The poor are always dissatisfied with their lot,” laughed DeRohm, rubbing the back of one hand to clear a dribble of wine from his lips. “Still we have their measure here. This fellow Savarak only has a few supporters who know one end of a sword from another I am told. So, he will be dealt with easily if he causes any trouble. Foreno…” He spoke the name rather loudly and received a cool glance from the elegantly dressed nobleman who had clearly overheard the comment.

DeRohm’’s face paled and he gave a short bow of apology to the man before returning to Sebastian. For once, the confident young man appeared flustered and perhaps even a little…scared?

The Baroness of Murrelbuck and her companion continued their quiet and earnest conversation.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian watched the exchange between DeRohm and Foreno with great interest, finally seeing the young boorish nobleman caught in the gaze of someone that actually intimidated him - publicly. That was something to learn from, for Sebastian was sure he could count on one hand the number of times he had seen DeRohm stripped of his bluster. Foreno was someone to be wary of, even if he didn't rate DeRohm's title of "bad".

Sebastian studied the baron while taking another sip of wine, realizing he had expected someone looking quite different. For some reason he had thought the southern nobleman to be short, but he was clearly anything but. The elegant clothes and formal manner fit well with what he'd been told though, as did DeRohm's reaction. Foreno was a man of power and action, and Sebastian wondered how he would fit into the mix after the events of the next few days played out. Hopefully that was the point of Magdalena's conversation, to bring the Baron on-side so that a united front could be presented to the new ruler, whomever that turned out to be.

Seeing that they were still locked in a private exchange, the young baron turned his attention back to DeRohm. "Tell me," he said in a low voice, one eyebrow cocked quizzically, "why did you name Foreno as 'sad'?"
Guido Cercatoro

“Foreno’s not the sad...,” began DeRohm before pausing. He grinned. “Oh you have caught me out, Baron. Too much wine.” He shrugged and spoke in a quiet voice.

“I am afraid it is the Baroness who is sad. She mourns the death of her lover. Now he was bad, a brigand by all accounts. Still, she is not her usual self; it clouds her normally acute judgement.”

“As for Foreno, well he is not truly bad, merely an astute player of the political game. Whilst those in the capital have dithered over the succession, he has been quietly developing his barony. It is strong now, stronger than most realise, both militarily and economically. He is becoming a powerful man, whom we will have to accommodate.”

The conversation between Magdalena and Foreno had come to an end. The elegant baron moved to exchange courtesies with the two seated ladies. The baroness moved to the window close to Hulmnoy. She gazed out in a somewhat distracted fashion. Hulmnoy glanced towards her and gave one of her hands a comforting squeeze of his own. They made a striking pair; a dishevelled mad-looking Lord and a beautiful, mournful- looking noblewoman.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded slowly as DeRohm explained, considering the scene before him. So Foreno was the bad - that was much as he had originally thought. He had heard rumours of the building military force in the baron's southern land and wondered how that might affect the discussions Sebastian wanted to hold during the festival. Foreno would be able to demand much for his support if he was capable of surviving on his own, and a strong military force would go far in assuring that independence. They would need to find that which the southern baron still lacked if they were to force him onto even ground for negotiations.

But his support would be critical, for despite the political nature of their battle with the capital over revenues and concessions recognizing the importance of the Border Estates to the kingdom as a whole, if there were no teeth behind the barons' stance then the Regent could afford to simply ignore them. So long as all they could muster was rhetorical oratory they would gain little to nothing. But if swords could back up demands, if soldiers could defend decisions aimed at gently punishing the arrogance of the capital, then some actual ground could be gained. And so far as Sebastian knew, it was Foreno who had the best force of arms with which to back up his demands.

The crisp blue gaze of the Baron of Brie shifted to Magdalena then, standing at the window next to the mad baron. Sad? he thought curiously, and with a little remorse. He had not noticed the lady's mourning, but then again he had not know her when she'd entertained a lover. He did not even know who that lover had been. So he had no reference against which to judge her current behaviour. Still, he felt an irrational emotional shame that he had not noticed, that he had not extended condolences or at least accommodated the baroness' feelings in some way. Despite the wariness he felt when discussing strategy with her, Sebastian liked Magdalena. And as he had thought on many occasions, he was glad she was plotting alongside him rather than against. If DeRohm was right and she was operating with a blunted edge these days, he truly felt sorry for her opposition once she recovered fully.

In deference to the oddly touching moment she enjoyed with Hulmnoy, Sebastian refrained from intruding. Likewise, while he was eager to meet Foreno and the ladies on the couch, he did not want to force his way in there uninvited. That left departing, which truth be told he was almost ready to do anyway, or relying on the increasingly tipsy DeRohm. Sebastian glanced into his cup and saw a few swallows left, so decided one last question before leaving couldn't hurt.

"And the two ladies to whom Foreno speaks? I haven't met them yet either," he mentioned, inviting his drinking companion to fill in the gaps in his knowledge.
Guido Cercatoro

“The young mouse is one of Foreno’s daughters from his first marriage,” explained DeRohm directing his glance towards the still nervous looking girl. “I suspect he has brought her here hoping that she might be foisted on some noble.”

“The other woman is a mystery to me beyond her name which is. Lady Anthea. I gather she is some distant relative of Foreno.”

As he finished speaking, Foreno detached himself from the women and approached Sebastian and DeRohm.

“Forgive me for not introducing myself sooner but I had family matters to attend to.” He spoke in a smooth voice that complemented his elegant appearance. “I am sure that our esteemed Regent’s son has introduced me already. In any event, I am Maurice Sanguine of Foreno.”

“I am a great admirer of yours Baron Beauvais. I hear that you have done a fine job in restoring the economy of your barony. I hope to discuss many matters with you. However, I have more tiresome business to attend to. Perhaps I will see you at the private concert?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The young baron nodded his understanding to DeRohm as the Regent's son named the two women on the sofa, before breaking off their conversation when Foreno made his way over.

"Think nothing of it," Sebastian replied amiably to his counterpart's apology. "Family should always carry a position of importance."

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Baron Sanguine. Sebastian Beauvais, as I suppose you know," he smiled wryly.

With a hint of blush colouring his cheeks at the elder baron's praise, Sebastian agreed to the proposed discussions later on. "That would be splendid, baron. The concert should provide the ideal opportunity for all of us to get acquainted and catch up on the doings in each others' lands."

"I shall look forward to seeing you there."

There, thought Sebastian. That was suitably polite and yet generic enough that DeRohm is no wiser. We shall see at the concert how direct Maurice wishes to be, but I sense we can dispense with courtly talk and get down to brass tacks if the circumstances are right.
Guido Cercatoro

“Until later then,” replied Foreno with a courteous incline of his head. He gave a curt nod to DeRohm and then the elegant baron departed the room to attend to his business.

“Makes me shudder that man”, admitted DeRohm. “I never trust anyone who is that polite. Well I must be off as well. It has been pleasant renewing our acquaintance, Baron.” The young Lord downed his ale and followed Foreno out of the room.

Hulmnoy and the Baroness continued to gaze out of the window, each apparently lost in their own thoughts, whilst the two women remained sitting on the sofa.

(OOC: Any more here or shall we push on with the concert?)
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

(OOC: Just a bit more, for propriety :wink: )

Sebastian set his glass down, no longer needing to egg on DeRohm by appearing to drink alongside the young nobleman. He was almost ready to depart himself but felt it inappropriate, rude even, to disappear without at least introducing himself to the two ladies on the sofa.

"Good tradetide, ladies," he said with a smile after approaching them. "Although I must be on my way shortly, I could not in good conscience take my leave without at least making your acquaintance. I am Sebastian Beauvais, the Baron of Brie." He punctuated his introduction with a slight bow to the seated women, and then awaited their response.
Guido Cercatoro

Foreno’s daughter returned Sebastian’s greeting with a nervous nod of her head but her companion was more forthcoming.

“Greetings Baron, it is gratifying to meet some with such a fine sense of propriety. I am Lady Anthea.Sanguine, a.. er…cousin of the Baron of Foreno. And this is daughter, Clarissa.” She motioned towards the young girl who responded with a rather weak smile.

“Clarissa has rarely travelled beyond the confines of her barony, so I am acting as her chaperone.” The noblewoman spoke of her companion in a rather dismissive and condescending manner. “Perhaps I might find her a suitable match whilst we are here at the festival.”

The nervous young woman went a bright shade of pink. “Please don’t speak so”, she murmured.

“She doesn’t do herself justice, does she Baron? I’m sure there are many who would welcome an alliance with Foreno.”

“And you, Baron,” the haughty woman continued. “What brings you here to this out of the way place?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"It is my pleasure to meet you Lady Anthea, Lady Clarissa," he said upon receiving the names of each woman. He nodded further when the haughty chaperone explained her presence and the main reason for bringing Clarissa along to the festival, before turning sympathetic eyes to Foreno's blushing daughter.

"I am certain there are many who would find the Lady Clarissa a worthy companion no matter her father's name," he offered kindly, hoping to include the nervous young girl in the conversation rather than speak as though she were merely inanimate goods laying nearby.

"Why, I am here to celebrate the festival with my peers, Lady Anthea," he answered the chaperone's question with a smile. "It is the perfect opportunity for all the lords of the Border Estates to meet and renew commitments to one another. And of course, with my appointment having come relatively recently," he admitted without pretense, "it gives me the opportunity to come face to face with many of my fellow rulers for the first time."

"The fact that it also offers me the opportunity to meet lovely ladies is merely icing on the cake," he added coyly, his eyes twinkling with humour over the rather obvious compliment.

"May I take it you will be attending the concert this eveningtide?"
Guido Cercatoro

Clarissa blushed an even deeper red at Sebastian’s words and lowered her eyes to the floor.

Anthea responded with a light flirtatious laugh. “Why, Baron, you will have the ladies eating out of your hands if you are so free with your flattery. And you can be rest assured that we shall both be at the festival. You must seek us out, for so many of the nobility are bores I am afraid. Your style of conversation is much more to my liking.” There was a twinkle in her eyes as she spoke.

“I could not help but see you speaking to Baron Hulmnoy,” she continued. “Do you know him? He is a most...interesting man and recently widowed. Clarissa likes him very much.”

The young girl flicked her eyes upwards, a look of almost terror on her face.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"I shall try to do that," Sebastian agreed vaguely, not wanting to promise too much for the concert. He had more important matters to attend to than chatting flirtatiously with these ladies. Not that it was unpleasant, but certain priorities had to be observed.

At Anthea's mention of Hulmnoy, Sebastian spared a quick glance over his shoulder toward the mad baron before replying. "I just met him now," he admitted. "Interesting is a good word. He has quite a story to tell if one could properly draw it out, I think."

"I knew he was widowed, but had not realized it was recently. That is a shame. Losing a loved one is always hard, and grieving is a complicated and difficult process."

The young baron wondered exactly how long ago Hulmnoy's wife passed on, and whether Foreno was stretching the bounds of courtesy to already be hinting at his daughter's eligibility for a match. It might be an indication of just how cold and calculating his fellow ruler was. But Sebastian was loath to pry into such private matters, considering such an exhibition of morbid curiosity rather distasteful. Perhaps Anthea would feel emboldened and mention it on her own, but if not he could find out in less obvious ways.

Foreno's possible insensitivity obviously did not extend to Clarissa, whose open display of her emotions made it readily apparent she was far from a controlled, calculating woman. Seeing the fright in her eyes at the thought of being matched to the mad baron, Sebastian felt a twang of pity at her lot. It was so much different being the man in these arrangements, he realized. That, and having one you truly loved be within your reach. A sense of gratitude washed through him as he recognized his good fortune.

"I wish you luck in finding the right husband, Clarissa," was all he said, realizing there was little he could do about the situation. If Maurice decided to merge the houses of Foreno and Hulmnoy using his daughter, she would have little say in the matter. Sebastian thought Hulmnoy's own family might have more thoughts on the matter though, and decided to gently sound out Alicia on the matter at the concert.
Guido Cercatoro

“The poor Baron has grieved for too long,” Anthea sighed, shaking her head in a despairing fashion. “Love is all very well but a man in his position has other matters to attend to.”

Clarissa continued to redden. Then, suddenly she stood and with a quick bow to Sebastian, mumbled. “I’m sorry, I feel a little unwell. “ Without a further word, she rushed out of the room.

Lady Anthea levered herself up from the sofa. “So young,” she said, once again shaking her head. “Still, she must do her duty. I had best attend to her. If you will excuse me , Baron. I am sure we will meet again.”

After waiting for any further words from Sebastian, the noblewoman would depart.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian wasn't so sure about Hulmnoy's obligations, but didn't want to argue with Anthea even if she was wrong. Besides, Clarissa was continuing to grow more and more uncomfortable with such talk, so why exacerbate her misgivings? But even with his consideration, the young lady had reached her limit. Sebastian barely managed a small goodbye before she was gone.

"I imagine we will, Lady Anthea. Do take care," he replied as Lady Clarissa's chaperone rose and bade him farewell. He stayed behind to allow the woman her privacy on the way after Clarissa, and then left the room himself. He needed to get ready for the concert that evening, and wanted to see what his men had learned about the mood of the town in the meantime.
Guido Cercatoro

Sebastian returned to his room to find Eric already returned and ready to report.

“I followed Tamerton myself,” he explained. “He made his way to a tavern that appears to be a haunt for young achadhiel. I followed him but he vanished into a back room. I felt somewhat conspicuous and so I took my leave after a quick drink.”

After pausing for a flicker, he frowned. “It is strange, I would have thought that the achadhiel might have shown hostility towards a member of the guard but they showed no reaction when he entered. It appears that he is no stranger to the tavern.”

“The two I sent into town report a rather mixed mood. There is much joviality at the imminent opening of the festival. Many are drunk and having a good time. However, both men reported a underlying tension in the city. There are guards everywhere and groups of adhiel and achadhiel youths spread throughout the city. The guard is also convinced that there are several groups of soldiers or mercenaries dressed in civilian clothes. The accents of some of these men are from the Border Estates. Perhaps Hulmnoy or Foreno. It is a confusing picture. We should tread carefully mi'Lord."

Return to “The Baron Estates”