Pax: questions and conundrums - ET, 30 Jygust (open)

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Elaine
Royal Poet

Pax: questions and conundrums - ET, 30 Jygust (open)

Post by Elaine »

Elaine and Ulder left the tent, the conversation clearly at an end. There were customers here who wanted a 'true' future read instead of the sudden -and potentially dangerous- subjects they had touched upon.

A frown drew her eyebrows together as the blind woman reflected upon the talk. Now why did I not respond? He clearly knows more about Selderine, perhaps even the birds, the stones...I could have asked him about it, or couldn't I? Was it the right time?

Somewhere she even doubted Ulder had gotten what he had come for. But with the obvious information her husband shared with the unexpected fortuneteller she felt quite out of her depth.

Hmm, be honest, you've been feeling out of your depth ever since the stone came up. Perhaps even before. Why can't I simply get my head around this information? It's not THAT hard. We've had worse in the Citadel.

Her staff tapped a rock, almost her foot followed instead of instinctively stepping over it.

Elaine blinked. "Oops." She smiled and grabbed Ulder's arm. "Seems I had best trust your eyes as well around here."

Her mind wandered off again. With everything going on I feel like a very small fish in a very large sea. So much about that I don't know about, so many new things, so much new information. A pity Kaelara is so busy. I could really use some help getting this Selderine story together.

She tilted her head, regarding her husband's Song. Maybe if he wasn't so full with the practical side of Pax. But he's got so much on his mind already.

"You will probably be meeting up with Torc later on then, love?" She inquired, realizing she'd been quiet for too long already.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

There were many things to see and do at the festival, yet it was clear that Ulder couldn't help himself with recruiting allies for his cause.

Couldn't even relax and have a little fun could you?

Elaine seemed quiet, pondering over the Mage's words and their possible meanings.

Her grip on his arm showed him that he was right on too many counts. She was quietly puzzling, and he himself was lost in berating himself. Both wouldn't do either of them any good.

"I'm sorry love. I suppose I better be paying closer attention myself. It seems I owe you another apology for my behavior tonight as well. I've been so wrapped up in trying to gather as many allies as I can for what's to come, that it seems I've forgotten how to simply have a good time and relax. The struggle for this town has consumed my thoughts and now that we're nearly through with it, I need to do a little more following my own advice to relax and a little less time inside my own mind."

He pulled her close and kissed her temple.

"I'm not sure. Torc seems the sort to keep his own counsel, and given those speeches of knots and streams back there, I'm not sure he thinks that what we're trying to do is correct. I was simply trying to notify him of what's to come so he could be ready. With the rumors of a mage out there, Elvin gone, and with what happened with Star and Moon, I think it was wise to try and warn him. Maybe after losing Draydis this morningtide, I'm more sensitive to people's words and deeds."

"I hope he listens, and I hope he'll help. This town likely needs him more than it needs me."

Ulder steered her away from another patch of rocky earth as they walked.

"But let's not think about that now. I'm not going to be neglectful of you for a flicker longer. How are you feeling? What can I help you with?"
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Your behaviour?" Elaine blinked her eyes. "Oh goodness, Ulder, don't be silly! Things come as they come. You hardly went out looking for it. I was the one wishing to go to the fortuneteller."

She squeezed his arm. "No blaming yourself, you hear? I was just trying to puzzle some things together. That's not because of your talk with Torc just now. And it's only logical that your thoughts run that way. It's not a small thing that you are trying to accomplish."

The kiss called up a smile. "We won't know if it's correct until it's done." She lowered her voice. "As with every action, every step. You were right in warning him. What he chooses, however, is up to him. And what do you mean...loosing Draydis?"

Judging by his voice he'd had an argument and nothing more, but in these times it might just as well mean another unexpected death.

"And I'm feeling fine, you silly man. You have your task, I have mine. There were just a few things Torc mentioned that I wonder about."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Her words made perfect sense, and her easygoing way with them filled his heart with love for her all over again. Her question about Draydis darkened his expression, and it was heard in his voice as much as seen on his face.

"Draydis came to see me this morningtide. It was the first time I had seen or spoke with him in months. He's much different now. Changed in more ways than I can easily count. He's barely Adhiel any longer. He's covered in fur and looks more like the wolf thing he's hunting than the man he once was. He came to show me the changes. Said it was the Mother's will that he become this... whatever it is he's supposed to be because that what she wanted for him."

He sighed heavily.

"You should hear him. Speaks more like the zealots we're here to fight. The Mother's will this, the Mother's will that. I confronted him on it. Asked him why he was so ready to abandon who he was to become this hunter thing. He didn't answer. Just stormed out without a word. He's running from himself, so caught up in what he perceives as the Mother's will that he won't face whatever it is that started him running in the first place. Something has scared him, and scared him bad. Rather than face it, he's doing anything and everything he can not to have to look at what it is. It's all distraction and scenery. The tattoos, the fur, the black cloak and wrapped head to toe like some sort of ghoul."

"The most disturbing thing is, he's relishing in it. For whatever reason, he actually likes it. He must think it makes him more dangerous, or that he will be feared more because of it. He's more bent on being an agent of fear than of helping anyone. How can he help anyone if he can't help himself? I find it all very disappointing and sad. He's a great man, a great leader and a powerful warrior. Yet he just can't look inside and see that for himself. He's too caught up in it."

He squeezed Elaine close again.

"So he's gone again to Gods only know where. Off again to pick at old scabs and nurse old grudges I suppose. I pray that the Mother will show him he didn't have to abandon what he was, to become what he needs to be."

He chuckled softly, then looked closely at her while she spoke of her well being and the things she was thinking about.

"And how is that task going? We haven't had much of a chance to talk about it. I'd like to hear about it, and those things that Torc mentioned."

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine's frown deepened. This was a worrisome continuance of the talk she'd had with Draydis before. "So he is still seeking consolidation or perhaps even confirmation outside of who he is. It sounds much like the talk I've had with the man. Hrm...not a pleasant thought to see such a worthy man loose himself. I hope he will come to see he is more than worth the trouble himself."

She kept her arm around Ulder. His worry for Draydis was obvious in his entire stance. "Maybe he does like it. Who would not want to be special? And honestly, I do not see anything wrong with liking what you do. The only danger I see is that he will loose sight of himself. Let's pray he comes back unharmed...or at least in one piece."

The military man brought his question around to her own investigation. The achadhiel took a deep breath. "Hmm...most of it you know." She kept her voice low. There was no need to upset anyone else with the mystical explanations. "Selderine is the original place. It still echoes it's grief over failing to protect it's people. That brings up very...tangible responses, such as the walls and the...hm...ghosts. And well...since I made a promise to help out, I am looking for an anchor of sorts, it involves a stone...birds..singing..."

She laughed shortly. "Gods, isn't it typical. Another promise to another city."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"My fear exactly. He's given himself over to it so completely, I wonder if he even knows who he is anymore. I suppose only time will tell. I haven't given up on him."

Elaine wrote:"Selderine is the original place. It still echoes it's grief over failing to protect it's people. That brings up very...tangible responses, such as the walls and the...hm...ghosts. And well...since I made a promise to help out, I am looking for an anchor of sorts, it involves a stone...birds..singing..."

Gods, isn't it typical. Another promise to another city."

"I can only imagine that Selderine is both the past and the future of this town. Whatever happened to it back then is sure to be mirrored in it's future unless we can figure out how to stop or cure it."

He chuckled softly at her words.

"Yes, it is rather our history to do something about things like this. There are good people here. They deserve much more than this chaotic jumble of old walls, lost or broken promises, persecution and being manipulated like a piece on a kemn board. They merit better treatment and after tonight they shall have it."

He settled in on her words, both hearing and listening to the clues she mentioned.

"Perhaps that big stone cube in the center of town is the stone. I haven't seen or hear anything about birds. I haven't seen anything unusual with them. They seem as normal as the birds anywhere else. Unless that little girl Blackbird that you told me about has something to do with it. Singing? I doubt there are many that know more about singing than you, but I guess the real challenge is linking them all together. Finding out how they are all laced together and connected. Do you have any feelings about that as of yet?"

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: let me know if you want me to mod here or if you just want a social conversation).

The festival field was rapidly becoming crowded as citizens and visitors alike converged towards the centre of the eventide’s entertainment. The atmosphere was pleasant and friendly, despite the inebriated condition of many of the revellers. A group of musicians had taken to the central stage and were playing a lively selection of well-known folk songs. A good number of people had converged on the stage and were singing along raucously whilst a few were dancing although not with any great expertise.

If Ulder glanced towards the nearby noble’s enclosure, he would see a strange sight. A middle aged man, elegantly dressed but with his clothes rather askew, was gesturing wildly with his hands in the direction of the stage. Two young women were apparently trying to restrain him whilst a nearby servant looked on with concern and embarrassment. Both Ulder and Elaine could not have failed to hear the rumour that the Baron of Hulmnoy was stark, staring mad. Ulder would recognise that the middle-aged fellow matched the description of the Baron.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine nodded, meanwhile taking in the scents of the faire. Somewhere something tingled on the back of her tongue already, waiting to be sampled. Her stomach reacted and started to growl softly, demanding immediate satisfaction.

It was not uncommon to have her attention in two places at the same time, yet the way her mind had been going of late it seemed that she was spreading herself a little too thin.

So, back to the questions at hand
. She told herself firmly and responded: "Well...I tend to agree. It needs to be settled or the city would not react as it is now. I also think it's no coincidence that Pax was built here. This place was craving another chance, another shot at protecting it's people."

The woman did not feel like addressing the city as male or female as of yet. It felt too close to what they had had to deal with in the Citadel.

"The point is, I can't shake the feeling that once we figure this out, Pax will crumble and leave Selderine standing. I'm not sure which reality is going to win, which one should win. I only know that I don't want the people of this time to get caught in it."

She walked on at ease, keeping her arm around Ulder. It was not only practical, it simply felt good. "Hmm. Well, I'm not sure if it's about the actual birds, possibly just about their Song, but I have not gotten a reaction there at all... I'm just finding the holes the shadows left, people's incomplete Songs." Her voice drifted off.

A deep breath later she was back. "Feelings. Hm. Many thoughts, but no grounds to build on. I'm not sure I'm getting anywhere." The frown returned. "I have this...nagging feeling I am being handed the answer from a million different sides. And I'm not hearing it."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Perhaps that's the intent that we need to focus in on." He replied in response to her words about Pax crumbling away, leaving only Selderine behind.

"Pax has been an abomination from the start. It's intent, it's purpose, it's mission. You can't put people and their faiths away just by locking them up somewhere out of sight. Balthasar made a mistake in creating this place. Perhaps the spirit of Selderine is restless because of it."

It had been too long since they had spoken like this. He was feeling slightly guilty for their terse, brief conversations of late. It was a healing thing for his own spirit to have her close again.

"If Selderine wants another chance, I'm still not convinced that's a bad thing. I understand your point about wanting the people not getting caught up in it, but the instant they were forced to live here, they already were. Lay that blame at Balthasar's feet."

As they walked he continued to react to the things she said, while at the same time watching the scene at the stage.

"Do thou think what you're hearing are ghosts? Perhaps the reason why you're not making as much progress as you like is because there are many forces and spirits here calling out for help. Maybe it's too many voices, when we need to hear just a handful for the answers you seek."

He began to steer her over towards the stage. Close enough to continue to see the commotion, but not get caught up in it.
Last edited by Ulder on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Because of it?" Elaine pondered. "No, I think Selderine has simply nudged king Balthazar to build here, calling a city home, so to speak...clearly the walls were already here, even if it was just from memory at first."

She reacted to Ulder's navigation, trusting him to steer them towards the right places. "But these are things we will probably never find out about. Question really is, what do we do with what we have? Anyone feeling guilty over the past is in danger of repeating their mistake out of sheer anxiety, out of a kind of blind determination to do it right this time. I can't have a city behave like a troubled mind, nor will I blame Balthasar, for he did not know about Selderine. He might have made a mistake in building Pax, but Selderine does not lie on his shoulders."

The increased ruckuss made it hard to think, as most happenings made it hard to think of late.

Elaine lowered her head, an instinctive move to at least turn her sensitive hearing away from the shouting.

"Too many voices..." Gods, how do I explain that one?

The blind woman settled for the simplest approach. "Perhaps I hear too few." She conceeded.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Guido Cercatoro

As Ulder and Elaine approached the noble’s enclosure, both could clearly hear the voice of the wild nobleman, standing inside the roped off area. “Fire, it is coming, I tell you….you know it is…..fire….I am not mad..” Two nearby guards approached and, after a nod from one of the women, they took hold of the distraught man’s arms and propelled him in the direction of a small tent to one side of the enclosure. After a brief protest, the fellow gave up struggling and lapsed into sullen silence.

Poor man. The voice drifted on the wind, softly filtering into Elaine’s ears. The familiar voice of a child. A blackbird. Ulder would hear nothing.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"No, I think Selderine has simply nudged king Balthazar to build here, calling a city home, so to speak...clearly the walls were already here, even if it was just from memory at first."

"You're probably more right than not on that account. I think it's clear to both of us that whatever spirits here are restless and troubled and part of our mission here is to help them find some sort of peace."

"But these are things we will probably never find out about. Question really is, what do we do with what we have? Anyone feeling guilty over the past is in danger of repeating their mistake out of sheer anxiety, out of a kind of blind determination to do it right this time. I can't have a city behave like a troubled mind, nor will I blame Balthasar, for he did not know about Selderine. He might have made a mistake in building Pax, but Selderine does not lie on his shoulders."

Ulder laughed softly.

"Again, you are likely correct on that account as well. Pax is clearly Balthasar's folly, but Selderine is indeed another story. Whatever secret this place holds will likely answer the question of how to proceed further. By my estimation, Pax’s story has already been told and goes little further beyond this night. It seems to be Selderine’s story that is as of yet unfinished. How Selderine further tells its story is the part we don’t seem to have any answers for yet. It’s my hope that we give it and these people a chance to create their own destiny from now on, and not have it dictated to them any further.”

"Perhaps I hear too few."

He held her close, watching the Baron but listening to his wife. There was something there in her words. A twinge, a hint. Something that Ulder felt disturbed by. He could tell when she was upset about something, and there was clearly something she was feeling that she either had not, or could not express yet.

“Too many would drive you to madness I would think. Whatever spirits haunt this place need to be relieved of their burden so they can find rest. I don’t know if the spirit of this place is disturbed by the arrival of people here, or by how they are being treated but somehow, someway, we need to help them find peace.”

He tried to reassure her.

“Whatever it is, we’ll figure it out. I can do my best to free them physically, but I think their ultimate destiny might be beyond that. Whatever it is, don’t doubt that I won’t be there to help. Whatever it is, we can get through it together.”

Ulder watched the Baron closely. We’re the spirits talking to him? Was there prophecy in the words of a madman?

Perhaps he only appears mad because what he’s saying is true and its so preposterous that none of the rest of us think it’s real…

Ulder continued to steer Elaine and himself in the direction of the Baron and the tent he was escorted to.

“It seems the Baron of Hulmnoy is what is creating that disturbance you’re hearing. He’s quiet now, but are you feeling up for perhaps talking to him? He looks as if he could use a friend, and when I journeyed there a few weeks ago, his daughter said he was too sick to meet with anyone. Maybe he’s better now to talk to, and maybe you can help bring him some peace of his own.”

Guido Cercatoro

The noble's enclosure was cordoned off from the rest of the festival field by a rope barrier that was heavily guarded. The tent to which Hulmnoy had been escorted lay within the secure area and could only be approached by passing two guards who were standing by the entrance to the enclosure.

As Ulder and Elaine approached the enclosure, one of the women who had sought to calm the distracted Lord made her way out of the enclosure. She was a young woman, yet her faced was lined with worry as she bustled out of the entrance.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"True, true, too many would drown out the necessary as well..."

Is that it?
Is it too much or too little?
Gods, I wish I could just think clearly!
I need to help Selderine!
There's no time to loose myself. I have been in the mind of a demon. I have fought death over the Caesar's life. I have touched darkness. Surely I can deal with an echo of the past?

"I don't know, Ulder. I really don't know. What if the city is happy with people around again? What if this is exactly what it needs: a second chance to protect it's own. And what if..."

What if I can't help them?
What if I'm the wrong person?
What if I am the right person, but I'm simply doing it wrong?

Ulder proposed to meet with the Baron. Elaine frowned, still feeling the touch of Blackbird's voice.

Poor man, yes, poor man. I should get to work.

Even if her spirits sank at the suggestion, she nodded. Clearly Blackbird felt for the man and that in itself had to be enough for now. Perhaps the Baron had a little more sensitivity to the situation than he knew or cared for. And if that was the case, Elaine might be able to help him with a bit of shielding.

That's easy. I can do that. Mother, give me strength.

The sudden appearance of the woman coming out of the enclosure startled the blind woman. She grabbed Ulder's arm.

"Perhaps you can find out if we'd be welcome..." She mumbled to Ulder, covering up her initial reaction.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

She had many questions, and none with easy answers. Such was the way of their life together so far, but would it always be that way? Would they always be in the thick of things? Only time and the Gods seemed to know.

"If it needs people to be happy again, and it needs a chance to protect them again, it will likely have it tonight."

When she stopped asking questions, and seemed disturbed by something, he interrupted himself from continuing further and let the comment lie where it was. He knew when his wife was troubled, and he could definitely see the wheels turning in her mind. She was pondering over something, and with a sudden realization, he now understood that he was steering her away from her troubled thoughts and giving her someone else's troubles to attend to.

We run from fire to fire. Such has always been my nature. But is that her nature as well? Perhaps she needs more time. Perhaps she needs to go a little slower, think things through a little more. Stop living your own life with her and start living with her in your life...

He been about to talk to the guards, try to force their way in. Yet the more he tried to push, the more resistant Elaine seemed to be. The last thing he wanted was to push her into something she was not ready for.

"Perhaps you can find out if we'd be welcome..."

He squeezed her hand, a silent gesture of love to communicate 'I'm right here' to her.

"Excuse me miss. Is the Baron well? Is there any assistance we can render?"

The question was an odd one for him to ask, at least in that manner. He was well used to offering aid of one kind or another, but there was something different in his phrasing. He was asking as if no was a possibility, and anyone who knew Ulder well would know that was something he rarely accepted.

It's in the hands of the Gods now. If she says yes, then we were meant to help him. If she says no, we go about out business...

Guido Cercatoro

The young woman was virtually running out of the enclosure and almost bowled over Elaine in her haste. “I’m sorry, my Lady”, she muttered, directing a startled glance at Ulder’s question. She had long, dark-hair that framed an attractive olive-skinned face: a woman that would stand out in any crowd. Yet, her voice bore strange undertones of weariness and fright.

“The Barron…help….I am to fetch a healer….” The words poured out in an incoherent fashion, her eyes darting between Ulder and Elaine. Suddenly, she grabbed hold of the blind woman’s hand. The grip was firm but urgent.

“Only the singer can save him,” she spoke the words directly to Elaine. “The voices spoke to me. Are you the singer?”
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

She did not want to go.
She did not want to add more to the pile of not understanding.
She did not want to fail again.

Please just say no...just say no. Tell us he needs no help. For once let someone else take the lead.

It was a thought unworthy of the Mother's tool she strove so hard to be, yet the very mortal part in her was cringing, seeking a place to hide from the darkness and confusion around her.

"Only the singer can save him,” The lady spoke the words directly to Elaine. “The voices spoke to me. Are you the singer?”

Boom
Her heart skipped a beat.
Her hand closed on Ulder's arm.

The singer....the singer...maybe I'm not her. Maybe they are looking at the wrong person. If I was the singer I would understand. I would feel the path. I would know what to do.
I don't know what to do!
I am as lost as you are!

But when her mouth opened, all that came out was: "Yes. Allow me in please."

Mother, help me. I cannot loose yet another. Please let me do this right. Let me feel through the darkness to the light that these people need. Let me not be blinded by my own fears, for they need that beacon, they need that hope. I cannot show them fear instead!

Already the young Achadhiel was securing her shields, forming sturdy branches and roots in her mind to keep her grounded while her spirit might reach out to find the Baron's troubles.

She swallowed, straightening her back and lifting her head to project the confidence these people needed. Her face formed a soft smile, much practiced to ease her patients who might be weary of her staring eyes.

Deep inside her a little part cried.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

The grip on his arm spoke to him in volumes. The woman's words had caught her by surprise, and there was a moment's pause as Elaine stopped, then answered positively as she wished to move forward to see the Baron.

The stiffening of her posture told him that she was mentally preparing herself to go forward and meet this challenge, although the hesitation told him it was taking a bit of effort on her part to do so.

If he had known she was fighting it so hard internally, he would have steered her away in an instant, but her words and actions told the story that his wife wanted to get in and help, and do what she could as she accepted a certain role and a certain destiny in this strange chain of events. He had always loved her for her courage and determination, now here, those feelings were renewed in his heart and mind as they went forward to follow the woman back to the Baron's tent.

Ulder was feeling a little uncomfortably driven by fate now. The Gods had willed them here, perhaps for the purpose of freeing Pax Balthasar, and perhaps for no other reason to help this poor suffering man. Either way, the sense of destiny he was now under was guiding their steps. His first impulse was to rail against it. He wasn't used to the sensation of feeling like a Guard on a Kemn board. In his heart and soul, he wanted to break free of it in the worst way, and hoped that this path they were walking led to being free once more.

Guido Cercatoro

The distressed young woman led Ulder and Elaine through the noble’s enclosure to the tent to which Hulmnoy had been taken. Several well-dressed nobles gave the newcomers curious glances but were too engrossed in their own private conversations to enquire further. The sound of clinking glasses, cultured laughs and sharp words to servants mixed in the air; a far cry from the more raucous mood that pervaded the festival field.

Inside the tent, the harsh sobs of a distressed man and the lighter sobs of a young girl filled the space. The distraught Baron was sitting with his head in his hands in one corner of the tent. At his feet was knelt a young woman; her resemblance to him was striking. This was presumably the Baron’s daughter.

Once they had entered the tent, the olive-skinned woman stayed Elaine and Ulder from approaching the touching scene. “There are things I must tell you,” she whispered in an urgent tone.

“I am Rowena; I am, or rather used to be a student at the Ghearan College in the Mouth. I and other mages were forced to flee when the…troubles began.” She took a deep breath, as if recounting her flight was painful. “In any event, I arrived here and made my way to Hulmnoy where I became a friend of the Baron’s daughter, Lady Alicia.” She made a slight incline of her head towards the grieving woman.

“The Baron had been ill for some time but it appeared to be little more than mourning for his wife. Yet, his condition appeared suddenly to worsen and he claimed to be hearing voices. Alicia asked me to see if I could help.”

Rowena reddened a little before continuing. “I sought to share his visions; to see what ailed him. I should not have intervened. My abilities are still not fully trained and matters of the mind are perhaps best left to those with more talent than I have.”

“In any event, I did share part of his vision. I saw fire; an intense fire burning inside his mind and voices crying out to him from within the fire. And since then I have shared at least part of his visions. But to me, they are usually merely ghostly images of what he sees, as if I am seeing a reflection of his pain.” She shuddered, placing her hand on Elaine’s once more as if seeking support.

“Strangely, a fellow student of mine arrived one day in Hulmnoy. Dartimos Hammer was his name but he has long since gone.” A note of regret entered her voice. He claimed to have similar visions and that it was to do with fire spirits. As you may know, Hulmnoy is no great distance from the fire canyon.To Dartimos, the visions were exultant; he revelled in them. But they have turned the Baron’s mind. ”

“We thought that bringing the baron here might help him. If proximity to the canyon is part of the problem, then perhaps here in the mountains, he might heal. And he did improve as we journeyed here. A little, at least until today, when he appears to have had a relapse.” The student mage took a deep breath, squeezing Elaine’s hand tighter.

“And now to the crux of the matter. Last night the voices poke to me in my dreams. They were urgent, insistent. They said that that I must seek the singer, the blind singer. Only she can heal him. And he must be healed, or this place is doomed. The Baron holds the key within his mind.”
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: Brytan arrives from herehttp://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15874)

Brytan arrived in the festival field just as Ulder and Elaine were entering the tent. The acting commander could see several guards at the entrance to the enclosure stopping and questioning anyone who wished to enter.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Brytan noted the appearance of Ulder inside the enclosure. He had no idea who the woman was that was with him. His information gathering had not delved into the background of the Swordmark commander much, aside from strategically valuable information on numbers and such, back when he was investigating the many different factions inside the city of Pax. Perhaps a concubine, or maybe even a wife. Ulder didn't strike him as a frivolous man, so he presumed the latter. Though it did not make sense to bring a woman to what might turn out to be a war zone soon.

Either way, Brytan approached the enclosure, stopping at the guards who were guarding the entrance. Brytan was not foolish enough to presume all guards were on his side. His investigations had already told him that a good quarter, perhaps a third even, were not in favor of the plans Michel and Ulder had wrought. These men were guarding the Provost and whatever other nobility visited the festival. It was likely Foreno was there aswell. Not wanting to leave anything to chance, he made a few quick gestures behind his back; His right hand index and middle finger made a V shape, then his index finger pointed left and right before his thumb pointed up and then made a slicing motion across his back. To the men behind him, if they were still there, this would mean; "Keep an eye on these two, at the first sign of trouble, make sure I have a path out.".

"Eveningtide men. I trust all is well?"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine surpressed the urge to walk out again. It was so crowded in this little space! All the voices, all the needs, all the intentions! Not all of them would grieve if the Baron did not live...

The blind woman nodded at Rowena, listening carefully to her words. "Well met, lady, my name is Elaine. This is my husband Ulder." The introduction was done swiftly without emphasis. It really did not matter at this point, judging by the urgent tone in Rowena's voice.

As the woman touched her, Elaine reached out instinctively, steadying her as she continued her story. The name Dartimos sounded familiar. It was something to figure out later. Right now her head was too filled with names, occurances and coincidences to worry about yet another name.

"Turned?" She frowned. How would a mind be turned? Into what? Towards where?

"So just today he had a relapse, after you heard the voices last night?" She had to get the timetable straight, for this was once again a little poke to remind her that nothing here had anything to do with coincidences. Either someone had shielded the baron here long enough until her arrival -or something, she reminded herself, remembering how the city itself shared the responsibility with the people- or someone was playing them in a most horrendous fashion.

Rowena's last sentence sent a shiver down her spine. No, no, no, he's linked to here? Like the Caesar was to the Citadel? Oh gods, how is it possible that two situations are so similar! Mother dearest, I could not save the Caesar, will you support me to save this man and help find the way back into the circle for the echoes of the past? Will you help me understand how they are bonded?

The Achadhiel squeezed back, putting on a smile with a confidence she did not feel. "Then we should mind these voices, for they too have asked me for help." She confirmed the mage's words, hoping it would at least strengthen the student, knowing that she was not going mad but had indeed heard a guiding voice.

Or one that will lead us into darkness once again.

Elaine firmly shook off that particular thought. "Please, lead me to him. I need to touch him to know."

She did not dare reach out without the physical contact, still working on reinforcing her shields so those around her would not bother her and so she might lead the baron back to sanity without loosing both their minds.

He holds the key within his mind...fire...The city burned. It must have burned. He is holding a memory in. But how can that be a key? I already know Selderine feels guilty, I know how to work with that, but if the city will not listen, then this baron will not make the difference. Something needs resolving. Does Selderine have to relive it? Do we have to go through it step by step in history so the city will not repeat it in this actual time?

What key might this be..what information is it...Mother, let us search together for that which prevents him from living, for that which prevents a tormented city from moving on, for that which prevents the spirit it contains from rest.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Inside the tent, Ulder stood. silent and watching. The lady Rowena's words shackled Elaine inexorably to the fate of the town of Pax Balthasar.

It was then and there that Ulder understood that it was all a lie.

'A gift for your wife' the spirit of the valley had said at his offering. More voices telling any who could hear them now to seek her out. The ghosts and spirits needed her here, to save the Baron, to save Pax...

There had never been some great mission and undertaking to free the people of this town. There had never been some moral imperative on his part to fight oppression and tyranny and lead an uprising in the name of liberty and freedom. That was all a sham.

This was what they were here for. To help save this man, and the town through him. Elaine was reason for it all, and out of all the many voices, it was only one that could reach him.

She is my wife, my companion, and my best friend. And she is bigger than that. More than that. I thought it was my voice that the people were supposed to hear, but that's not true. It's hers...

Feeling foolish and undignified, he released her hand, suddenly aware that he had been clutching it a little too tightly.

"Go on. Help him. He needs you." He whispered in her ear. "I'll be right here."

As she moved forward, he retreated. He'd been a firm and devout believer in his own cause until this moment.

The mighty Captain and champion comes forth, to rise high in the saddle, wave his sword about and free the people from their slavery...

That self delusion was now ripped away, and he stood in the corner of the tent, feeling shamed and embarrassed. He was a guard on a kemn board, playing in a game that, until recently, he didn't understand.

I can see it all so clearly now. The veil has been lifted. Who shall heal the healer? Who shall save the savior? That is my mission here. That is why we've come.

He could have never steered her away if he had tried. She had accepted her role, and now it was time he accepted his. He watched, and waited, with a new and certain clarity behind his eyes.

Guido Cercatoro

The guards at the entrance to the nobles’ quarter had the look of professional soldiers. They were immaculately attired, alert and respectful – immediately standing to attention as Brytan addressed them. It was clear that they had already been informed of Brytan’s new status.

“All is well sir,” said one of the guards – a study, dark-skinned soldier with a long scar running down his left cheek. “No reports of any trouble in the festival field apart from a few drunkards.”

If Brytan wished, he would be freely allowed access into the enclosure which was now quite full with a number of nobles, their followers and servants. The tent into which Ulder had now vanished with at the far side of the enclosure and was unguarded.

************************************************************************************************

“The Baron appeared to improve as we journeyed here,” Rowena explained to Elaine. “Yet this morning he was again much distressed, complaining about the voices in his head. When I spoke of his mind being turned, I merely meant that the voices were turning him mad. At times he thinks the voices are of his own creation; at other times, he is convinced that they are from some external source, warning him of some danger.”

As Elaine finished speaking, Hulmnoy let out an angry cry and swept a large hand in the direction of his daughter. It hit her squarely in the face knocking her to the ground. Elaine heard the sound of the crack; Ulder saw the sweep of the hand.

The Baron stood and looked down at his felled daughter. “Alicia,” he mumbled, a stricken look on his face. He knelt down and cradled his daughter’s head in his arms.

Rowena let out a loud gasp. She led, almost pulled Elaine in the direction of the commotion.

“Alicia, Alicia, Alicia,” the Baron moaned. His daughter stirred and lifted one hand to her cheek which was red with the force of her father’s blow.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Either the danger is now or he is living the memory." Elaine mumbled, more to herself than anyone else when the baron struck out and hit his daughter. She could not surpress a gasp, quickly moving with Rowena towards the confused man and the dazed Alicia.

"Someone please help her up." The blind Achadhiel heard herself say, placing a hand on the baron's shoulder as she herself knelt down next to him. "Sir, she is alright. Let us help her."

If the man allowed the others to take over Alicia, Elaine continued more urgently, yet softly: "My name is Elaine. I have been called here by several voices. I am here for the city...and for you. Will you allow me to speak to the voices that are with you?"

There was no way she could explain at length what she intended to do. All the woman needed was his consent, after which she could Listen. And if she could Listen, perhaps there could be a dialogue instead of a monologue which drove the poor baron mad.

Mother, I Hear you
Mother, I Listen
Mother, I Sing for you
That they may listen
Hear
and come together
Into the key we seek
Mother, I sought you.
I found.
Now let them find.
And rejoice.

She was unaware of the strange decision her husband made, or she would have had her arguments ready. Yet this would have to wait until they actually found the time to talk, to really talk instead of glossing over things until the situation quieted down.

Right now there was a man's sanity at stake, and with that an entire city. Other things would simply have to wait.
Again.
Last edited by Elaine on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Return to “The Baron Estates”