Pax: When the Childe Comes to the Dark Tower; Jygust 30, MT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Twine Uld
Civus

Pax: When the Childe Comes to the Dark Tower; Jygust 30, MT

Post by Twine Uld »

The main gate to Pax is known as the Forest Gate. It is usually manned by two bored looking guards of the Pax Honestus, the legion formed to keep order in the new outpost. Apart from the usual farm traffic that comes to and fro on a regular basis, most new arrivals come through the portal and the gate guards have little to do save stare into the nearby forest. Paths from the gate lead down into the forest and the River Clearwater.

The most notable thing apparent to new arrivals is not the gate or guards but rather the long, high, elegant walls of the town. The Wall (Pax) has an air of balance and grace to it, despite the fact that it also looked sturdy enough to withstand whole armies - and its design was somehow foreign to the eyes - unlike everything else in Pax, which was simple and functional and the very opposite of beautiful, the wall was built to some completely different standard. As if it had been plucked from elsewhere, from another city, and simply plonked here without thought. Or as if it had always been here, in spirit.

While the long and high walls of the new city would tower over the ordinary newcomer and perhaps fill them awe and admiration, Twine Uld was not amused. It hadn't been long since she had left the more-or-less underground house system in her hometown and she was still getting used to the idea of people actually building tall and thin places to reside in.

"Give me a squat hut anytime," she grumbled to herself in Gnomish. She had been trying to perfect her Common before she would come to Pax, as she figured that it woudn't be bad to mingle with the locals as much as possible - as much as the crowd could be mingled in a city such as this - but was getting tired of it already. Human tongue was a tricky one, flowing like liquid oil, the words hardly distinguishable from each other.
But she'll learn.
Hopefully.

Twine was tired and dusty and looking forward to a drink. She noticed the road wasn't exactly overpopulated and gave yet another grumble.

"The guardses will be bored," she muttered, this time in Common, getting used to the language she was about to use. "Bored outta their heads and happy, very happy, to make fun of gnome." However, the scowl changed into a broad smile as she came close enough to the gate to be seen and heard.

"Good midday, good gentlemen," she greeted the solemn looking figure in uniform. From her point of view, she could stare up his nostrils. Not a very pleasant picture. "I's Twine, born on Uldday, and I seeks to stay withing the walls of this - this - Pax. I have services to offer."

EDIT: Added time of day.
Last edited by Twine Uld on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Wild Tune... Avatar by [url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=1969&password=0&sort=4&size=big&cat=all&page=]Kiandra[/url].
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

As the gnome muttered to herself
"The guardses will be bored," she muttered, this time in Common, getting used to the language she was about to use. "Bored outta their heads and happy, very happy, to make fun of gnome." However, the scowl changed into a broad smile as she came close enough to the gate to be seen and heard.
she looked up and noticed that indeed she was wrong. Instead of there being no line, or a short line, there was a long line. This line was very show moving and it became apparent that it would take some time to get through it. Twine would have to wait for sometime. Twine may have taken comfort in the fact that she was not the only gnome in line but instead there were many gnomes and many people from the other races on Tazlure as well. As she waited in line the sounds of these many people talking reached her. She could hear human and gnomish easily but there where other languages that she could not make out. At first Twine was overcome with the variety of sounds, but after a while she was able to tune out the background voices if she wanted to do so.

After about two marks Twine was finally able to make it to the front of the line. As she arrived at the front of the line she saw two men standing there in guard uniform. The older man seemed to be doing must of the talking and he seemed to be very proper, even his clothing seemed immaculate. He was also noticeable lean and of medium height with a well-established jet black mustache. The younger man was standing off to the side with a piece of paper and a pen. This man looked tired and hurriedly dressed. Both men looked as if they where very busy and not entirely happy with their circumstances.

As Twine came up to the gate the lean man said "and who do we have here? Tell me your name, and for what reason you are entering the city." The little gnome answered and it was somewhat difficult to understand her. Sargent Caverton was a bit surprised by the gnomes reply. "You mean your not here for the festival?"
Twine Uld
Civus

Post by Twine Uld »

Twine sighed and accepted her destiny with dignity - for the first few burns, that is. Then, every now and then, she would breathe out a rude word in gnomish, and as the time she spent in the line prolonged, the stream of words grew louder. She was feeling very uncomfortable, people were stepping on her, and she was getting quite thirsty.

Nevertheless, she did remember not to pester the guards and her introduction was as insult-less as if she hadn't just ages standing in the dusty road.

"Festival?"

She was rather taken aback by the answer, but caught up quickly. "Yes. Uh. Yes, the festival, that too. I can do my work at the festival. More people from all around - more people looking for.... whats-it-called... engineers."
A Wild Tune... Avatar by [url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=1969&password=0&sort=4&size=big&cat=all&page=]Kiandra[/url].
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

No one acknowledged the frustrated little gnome in the line. Even when she seemed to lose her temper and express out loud her dismay no one said anything to her or took notice. Most of the people in the line were not alone and these people were too busy talking amongst themselves to be aware of the frustration of a little gnome, and the few people who were on their own seemed to be ignoring everything and everyone.

It seemed to Sargent Caverton by Twine's response that she had no idea what he was talking about when he said festival. It wasn't his job to instruct travelers on everything that was going on within the city. Of course if anyone asked he would tell them what was going on, but he was only here to let people into the city, and this was going to be a busy day as it was. "So you are an engineer?" Good lord why are all the gnomes engineers! The disgruntled Sargent turned to his partner "You got that on the books, Twine the engineer, headed towards...where did you say you where going?"
Twine Uld
Civus

Post by Twine Uld »

"Yes, I am... We all is's. That is because a no-gnome cannot be good engineer," explained Twine. She was quite suprised that the guard should not understand this. What else was there for the small folk except cogs and brass levers?

"A good inn, perhaps?" she suggested, looking hopefully up into the guards face. Looks like he's forgotten about the festival - the though flickered through her mind and was gone. Do not arouse suspicion.

Then again, maybe it was suspicious that she should know nothing of the local festivities. Anyhow, there will be more tme for that later.
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

The Sergeant looked down at her one last time. Harmless little gnomes. "Yes, well, Twine, I am going to suggest Father's Grace. There are a lot of other folks of your... stature there. I have also heard rumors of other inventors in that area. Go on little miss. Welcome to Pax - may you find your fortune here." Unlike me always stuck at this gate. His dismay was on his face. "I might also suggest...."

There was a groan from behind and a deep voice yelling "Oh come on! The rest of us have been waiting for marks! Why spend some much time on this one gnome." The Sergeant, with a defeated sort of look, signaled for Twine to move on. It was up to Twine whether she'd push to find out what other place he'd suggest she check out.

(ooc: You are free to enter the city now. If you want to stay here and react to the stranger or question the sergeant more you are more then welcome to do that as well. Have fun! )
Twine Uld
Civus

Post by Twine Uld »

"Thank you," said the gnome respectfully. Although she didn't miss the sad scowl on the guard's face, she wasn't about to be bothered much about it - after all, what could she do anyway. Everyone has a job that they're not too happy with.

That was, however, before the rude interruption caused colour to rise in her cheeks. She turned around, infuariated, and gave the stranger her most vicious look.

"The one gnome, as you says, will now help the guard," she announced, chin jutting out.

"Let me help you," she whispered quickly to the unvoluntary official. "I deal with gnomes much more fast than you - you deal with big ones. Then you are finished earlier and you tell me more."
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

As Twine turned around, she saw that the comment had come from the man who stood behind her. He was a human of average height, with a healthy gut on him. It was only morningtide, and were she just a little taller, she might have smelled alcohol on his breath. Still, she could see from her place near the ground that he looked disheveled, and his clothing was dirty. A stench drifted off of body odor and stale alcohol. He looked down at her through bloodshot eyes as she spoke to him. When the little gnome had finished speaking the man laughed at her. "You? Of help? Ha!" The man continued to laugh. as the guard responded.

The offer was appealing, and for a flicker or two, Sergeant Caverton thought that maybe it was a good idea. He smiled briefly, but soon after he realized that she would only get in his way. She had things she would want to do aside from this.

"No, I am afraid that I do not need your assistance. Please be on your way, as you are holding up the line." He finished his statement mockingly, and he turned from Twine and prepared himself for the big man who he intended to address next.
Last edited by Petros on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Baron Estates”