Preparations - Jygust 30, late TT, Pax Forest

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Craghley

Preparations - Jygust 30, late TT, Pax Forest

Post by Craghley »

Outside the Forest Gate, a few burns along the road and a couple more off of it, Craghley knew you could come across a little gap in the forest. The hulking shape of oak trees rimmed the clearing, no more than thirty feet in diametre. And at the north end was a small grassy hump. Craghley kicked at this absently while mulling over nothing in particular. With closed eyes he then offered a prayer up to the Mother that there would be no prying eyes upon them in this place. Save for those that belonged to Her, of course.

"Laewin will appear tonicht. I reckon we should be there as soon as the fair opens. Half a mark late, tops. I just don't ken when she'll appear."

Craghley sat down and laid the spear of the hunter across folded legs.

"I think ye'll need tae strike Laewin. As neither Draydis or I can kill her, we might be better off holding Falven at bay. Less ye reckon we can cause some injury, General?"

The question he directed to Draydis.

"I would cover Trajan wi' me spear, up close, as he faces Laewin. General Draydis, would it be more effective if ye use yer bow? I suppose it all depends if we can fight her magic..."
Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

Trajan followed Craghley as he lead them out the Forest gate. With the hour of the day so advanced, he had put his gambeson and ring armor on over his leather jerkin and thin linen shirt. It was warm wearing all those layers, but he wasn't going to wear the gambeson without something under it, and he wasn't wearing the armor without the gambeson and he certainly wasn't going to fight Laewin without armor. So he was stuck sweating in the summer heat. His gloves, unlined leather that they were, were tucked into the belt of his baldric so he could easily get them on. His banded targ was slung over his back by it's carry strap because he had foregone his cloak. He looked like what he was, a man with violence on his mind.

Even so, the clearing that the achadheil lead them too was infinitely peaceful. Surrounded by hulking oaks and bathed in moonlight, it looked the place lovers would dally, or poets compose. Not a place where warriors would come to strategize. And yet here the three of them were.

“When it comes to that friend Craghley,” Trajan said, “we shall have to trust to Baltimus' magics.” The thought of relaying on someone else was not foreign to Trajan, but he had never had too much magic, and didn't know what good Baltimus' workings would do. Much less what powers Laewin had. Trajan found his hand squeezing the grip of his sword painfully. There was just so much that they didn't know as they went to face this spirit who had destroyed one town and killed no one could account for how many people, but they had simply run out of time. She was coming, and they had to kill her. “As for when she'll appear, we'll know.” He said, confidence sounding in his voice. “The sword will tell me.”
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

A few burns after Craghley and Trajan arrived, a third figure approached: it was the achadhiel youth, Angelo. The youth had platted his hair into numerous strands, all decorated with small clips and brooches. He wore dark green leggings, high leather boots and a knee-length black coat. Hanging from a wide belt was a sheath containing a long slim sword.

He nodded to the two who were already present. There was a grim look of determination on his face but he remained silent as he drew his sword from his sheath. He knelt on the ground, held his sword between two open arms and began speaking slowly as if intoning prayers to his God. They were strange words he spoke; familiar, yet unfamiliar – perhaps some ancient dialect of achadheil.

When he had finished, he pulled himself to his feet. “We await our final companion. And then we kill it or we die.”
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

The commander had made one stop prior to heading to the training area with the others. He had been pleased with the mask that had been fabricated for him. It fit well and would help to keep his identity protected. It also would remain in place much better than the hooded cloak he had been wearing.

When they stopped at the clearing in the woods, Draydis removed his cloak. He turned to face the others and survey their armor and weapons. Dray was wearing the gray padded clothing under his Hunter's armor. On top of it all was the tabard of the Emerald Guard commander. His face and neck were covered with a form-fitted leather hood that exposed only his eyes. In the fading light of the day, his eyes appeared somewhat illuminated as a cat's would be in low-light. He had his bladed staff in his hands. The remainder of his weapons were in their usual places upon his body.

"My bow is always my preferred weapon, but I fear that this fight is going to require weapons that are much more...personal." Dray knew from the fight with the Hunter and with the demon wolves of Taquar that arrows alone would not be enough to drop a powerful wolf.

"I will change to my bladed staff once our enemies close, as it can be used defensively and also to attack. As for my part in the fight, from what I understand, the wolf comes for me I will do my best to fight against all of our enemies as they come and also protect all of you and any innocents that are about."
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Civus

Trajan watched silently as Angelo appeared and performed his familiar if still foreign ritual. His voice was emotionless when he addressed them and Trajan felt an odd kinship with achadheil in that moment. Draydis arrived shortly thereafter and Trajan was struck once again by the oddness of the man's dress. He was covered from head to foot and to the tips of his fingers. Trajan, who was sweating profusely in his ring armor and gambeson wondered how Draydis could possibly avoid having a heat stroke. And then again there was that sense of queerness about his eyes.. Still as he spoke Trajan found himself nodding along.

“When I fought the ghost to protect Laewin, we fought … shrouded by fog.” Trajan considered for a moment. “I'm not sure we were still in Pax... or if we were, that anyone else knew we were there. The only person I saw came after the fight was over and Laewin had vanished. So we can hope that innocents won't be a factor.” Trajan fell silent a moment before continuing. “And i've been thinking as well, that since Laewin doesn't know your name Draydis, that we should use some sort of code for you, a Nome de plum. What do you think? I think she knows the rest of us.”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Well, they certainly had enough skill of arms between them. More accurately, between the others; Craghley was somewhat of a jack of all trades. He was sure, however, that there would be more to this fight than the actual fight.

"I ken which end o' me spear goes intae the other person. No' much else though. Angelo, what dae ye propose? Laewin carries a dark magic, mayhap your sword may be better turned against Falven? We don't ken if that beast is impervious tae steel."

Craghley shed the wolfskin cloak he usually carried. For him, the mountain wind and cold was tolerable if still unpleasant. Underneath he had a clean white linen shirt which came down to his wrists. Covering this was a tight, sleeveless leather jerkin. A sturdy belt held up the lads' slim trousers which were tucked into the leg of his boots (which, out the top of one, poked the slim handle of a small dagger). The somewhat larger dagger was tucked firmly into a sheath upon his left hip, his right hip sporting the sporran. And lastly, another belt ran from hip to shoulder and down his back again. Fastened upon Craghley's back was the spear of the Hunter, its wicked tip gently wrapped in a strip of pelt. His bastard sword was not upon Craghley's person; he'd left it tenderly wrapped in the blanket on his humble pallet at the camp with a small amount of money. A tiny scrip of paper instructed in very bad spelling for whomever came across it to send it back to his father in Islay in the event of Craghley's death. A similar setup surrounded his whiskey flask, only it was bequeathed to Baltimus and had with it a single banner for drink.

"The sword may lead us tae her, but we don't ken if she'll be waiting. Laewin has a sick taste fer games. This is her big return... I don't think it's coincidence she's appearing on the start of the festivities. Perhaps Laewin wants an audience this time."

Craghley was imagining the four of them, armed an armoured, rushing a small girl surrounded by the common and highborn of the Baron Estates. Three heathens and another who had rejected the One's faith... it would not do well for the refugees, or for them.

"It's a long shot, but Tamerton may understand. He may be able tae give us space and draw back the crowd when Laewin appears. If that's the game she plays."
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: back now: a quick post to get things moving again)

Angelo listened to the conversation between his three allies silently. When they had finished, he frowned and offered a few brief words.

“As far as I am aware, Falven and Laewin are part of the same enitity, she is some sort of shapechanger. The blade that Trajan carries was designed to harm Falven, so we might be best to provoke Laewin to change into her bestial form. As for the fight, I am no warrior; I am sure that your tactical knowledge is much greater than mine. However, if we can draw her away from the festival it might be best. We do not want to risk others being hurt.”

“There is one more thing,” he continued slowly. “I am…was..used to be… an apprentice to Baltimus. I had no great aptitude but I can perform some minor magic involving light, if it is of any tactical use.”
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Angelo, your magic may be of great use. Craghley and I stood with our Guardsmen against a pack of wolves. The tide of the battle turned when we used a sudden blast of light from a fire to temporarily blind them. If properly timed, your light could give us a small advantage for a moment."

Draydis looked to the others standing around him. "As for encouraging her to turn into the bestial form, I may be of use." The commander took a moment to consider what he was thinking.

"If each of you is to trust me in our battle and if we are to truly function as one cohesive unit, then I feel it appropriate to have a demonstration of trust."

His stance relaxed slightly as Dray looked into the eyes of each of those assembled. "Shortly before my arrival in Pax, I stood with Craghley and many other brave soldiers against a creature called the Hunter. We were able to dispatch him and his wolves. After the battle, the Mother blessed some of us with answers to our prayers. I asked the Mother to grant me a blessing to enhance my hunting and battle abilities. In the months since, I went through a physical, mental, and spiritual change."

Dray paused for a moment as he collected his thoughts.

"I dress this way to avoid being judged harshly by those that care only of appearances and not the heart that lies within an individual. I guess I tell you each all of this because I would be willing to reveal my appearance should you feel it would solidify our alliance. The part where I think my appearance would help to have our enemy appear as a wolf is that my appearance is that of a wolf as well."

He waited for the reactions of his allies. He hoped for the best...

DMD Member since 2005
Civus

“Draydis,” Trajan began, “our thoughts take the same tack I see, I also think that Angelo's light magic could prove pivotal, for as I said, the last I was around Laewin my fight took place in fog and darkness, maybe she is a creature ill adapted to light. Therein may be a narrow advantage we can exploit.” Trajan nodded at the swaddled man then, the gesture echoing his words with an unspoken 'well done' such as might pass between two warriors in battle.

“As for your revelation, I fear that your fears were justly founded. The Pax Honestus are greatly worked up about the 'wolves' which have been attacking the city and the Legion in particular, if you had revealed yourself in town you would have made yourself at the least a target for discrimination and unseeing hate. But you have chosen a wiser course, and Craghley thinks very highly of you, and your words and actions of the past candlemarks have spoken to me as well. If you would show it to me, I would see your true face this night.” Nodding once more, Trajan fell silent, and pondered as the conversation continued around him. Where had this sudden spate of speech, much less eloquence come from? It was not in him to go on so much, Shylah had often teased him about his frequent silences.

The sword, newly bonded with him, and awake in an unsettling way, pulsed at his side, eagerly awaiting what was to come. Maybe it was the sword. The weapon had come from a far off in time place, maybe it was the root of the loosening of his tongue. It was, Trajan decided at last, of not so much consequence, as he had not said anything which didn't need saying. He had simply said it better than he might have in the past. If it was the sword, so much the better, if it came from some other source, then he could only hope he would have time to consider it more fully that he might understand. But for now, there were much more pressing matters.

The group of them stood in the clearing, the four of them sharing the common space, but Angelo stood a bit apart. And Trajan much desired to speak with the ancient achadheil. After all, it had been Angelo's brother who had last fought Laewin. And been lost to the sword. Maybe he would have some insight into the blades workings. His contemplation at an end, Trajan excused himself from the conversation and crossed to the golden haired swordsman, keeping his hands well away from the hilt of the fateful sword as he did so.

“Grandfather,” He said quietly as he approached, managing an awkward bow even as he moved “I would speak to you if you don't mind. I would hear more of your brother... and what this sword did to him. Maybe there is some secret you know which will prevent me from walking your brothers path.” The tall human watched the achadheils face and waited, hopeful, yet pensive. It was no small thing he asked, but he felt the need to know, he just hoped that Angelo felt the need to tell.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Light... well, who knew? One always took light into a dark place. It sounded about right for what they would be doing.

"Aye, I agree. It may be that we will need to disperse with the shadows tonight. It may show us, and any observers, exactly what we fecht."

"I too have been given a boon from the Mother. I am not as blessed as the general, yet so far two gifts has She bestowed; to make known to me the Wyrd, and to heal with Her strength, if I have faith enough. Though Her touch is distant here, I am bound to Pax by blood and She in turn is bound to my spirit."

Craghley watched Trajan pull to the side with Angelo. Their chat could be about any number of things, but he'd put his money on something about the blade. The way that the man's hand kept darting to it... the thing must have a strong grip on his mind whether it be by its' soul lust or the impact of events surrounding it. Could be both. Craghley shuffled over to Draydis - eyes lingering on those a flicker longer - with something on his mind to unload.

"Sir, would you join me in prayer here? This forest is as close to the Mother as I've felt here. There is a small clearing, a stag and pregnant berry tree in this place which is a holy site of the Mother. She gave to me the old stag so its' place would be filled by the next, and I also returned the offering of blood with blood. No doubt She hears your words with clarity, but if there is anywhere She would understand mine it would be here."
Last edited by Craghley on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked to each that had joined him in this place. He listened carefully to their words and knew that he was surrounded by allies he could trust.

"Craghley, yes, of course I will pray here with you."

The commander took the blade of his staff and gently drew a large circle in the middle of the clearing. The circle was of a size that all present would be able to stand on its edge and join hands.

"Any who would wish to join us in a prayer to the Mother, please join us around the circle."

Draydis then turned away from the others and slowly removed his cloak, torso armor, bracers, gloves, and the padded shirt. His pants and armor below the waist remained along with his various weapon belts.

Those present in the clearing could see that his entire body seemed to be covered in gray fur with black tiger-style stripes. From behind, the twisted scars from many orc whips could be seen despite the covering of fur. Whoever had whipped Dray seemed to have been hell-bent on destroying him, as there were very few parts of his back, arms, and neck that did not have a scar.

When he turned, his face appeared similar to his old face, but his nose was elongated, his mouth contained obvious fangs, and his eyes were solid black. If Craghley had doubts that this was Dray, his doubts would likely be eased, as there was enough of the commander's old appearance in his face that showed it was in fact still him.

"Shall we pray now, my friends?"

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

Angelo appeared unperturbed about Dray’s revelation and appearance. Given that it that the achadhiel was, like his master, one who had travelled through time, perhaps he was no longer shocked by anything he saw.

The achadhiel listened intently to Trajan’s quiet words and replied in a low voice that only his questioner could hear.

“I know nothing of my brother’s fight with this beast, for I lay ill in my bed. All I can tell you is that when he returned he was no longer the same man and would never speak of the battle. He would never let the sword leave his side and was quick to anger if anyone asked him about the weapon. He shouted out during his sleep and when awake, there was a haunted look in his eyes. One day he killed a man who bumped into him in the street. I was close by and I heard the sound of the sword singing and my brother’s laughter. He fled into the mountains and although I searched, I never found him or the sword. Perhaps the spirit of the mountain found a way of giving him respite.”

The sword pulsed at Trajan's side, sending a sharp burning sensation through his body.
Civus

Trajans expression hardened as he listened to Angelo speak. An unpleasantly heavy sensation settling in his stomach at the achadheils initial description of what had become of his brother. It was cold and dark and most decidedly unpleasant, and Trajan fought to keep a grimace from his face as Angelo continued, feeling that sensation twine itself around his spine like a climbing rose as the other man finished speaking. Though the achadheil had been speaking in a low voice, pitched so that only Trajan and neither of the others could hear, the silence which followed his monologue rushed in after it like a flood, and struck the former legionnaire like a hammer. In that sudden vacuum of sound Trajan could hear his heart thudding leadenly in his chest and feel it throbbing in his ears and eyes. He imagined that he could hear the blood his heart was pushing run through is veins. And then the sword pulsed.

Trajan always wore the blade in it's baldric straight down his spine, and low so that the cross piece settled at the base of his skull. It made looking up a little awkward, but it meant that he didn't have to worry about getting his legs tangled in the scabbard, and he had come to rely on his mobility a good deal the past months. Besides which it meant he could draw his sword at the same time as he swung his targ off his back. What it meant more directly was that the swords pulse barreled into his spine like a charging bull. The heat raced across his back and through his torso like a wildfire through a dry savanna, and shortly his entire torso was alight with it. The suddenness of it, coupled with the dull throbbing pain it induced, forced a gasp from him, and it rasped up from his chest with a sound like tearing paper, and was followed a flicker later by another unconscious sound. This one was somewhere between a sob and a moan, but Trajan didn't seem to notice it. His eyes had gone all out of focus when that pulse from the sword had hit him, which would be plain for Angelo to see, in this instant however he was no longer in the clearing. Trajan had left it far behind...

[hr] [/hr]

Trajans consciousness left his body then, and traveled across time and place. It went back. He remembered....

It was a moment of clarity that was almost more painful than the all of the previous moments of obscurity. Trajan could see the dwarfs arm moving toward him, he could see his blade bite into the arm and then chop clear through it. The limb, carried by it's former owners momentum but redirected by the force of the legionnaire's sword stroke, went spinning off and fell into the emerald lake, flashing the waters into steam.

That day at the Emerald Lake. The dwarves the Renegade Grey Cloaks had sent against he and Ulder and Talanwai. They had been dead. His lungs still bore the scars of all the smoke he had inhaled in that fight.

The creature, Trajan could now see it was an abnormally large spider hurried to close the distance and when it was in striking distance it leapt. One burn he was more than a pace away, and the next he was between Shylah and the monster. He threw the sheath of his sword up to block the creatures fangs and thrust the bare blade at the creatures bulbous abdomen. The blade balked for a flicker before punching into the beasts flesh, aided not only by Trajans arm, but also by the creatures own bulk as it bore down upon him. It’s weight pushed him back into Shylah, who fell away still stunned by the creatures appearance and attack. Trajan and the monster fell further back until the former legionnaire tripped over the injured townsperson and went down beyond him, asprawl with the beast on his chest, his blade pushed clear through it’s body, the dying monsters ichor coating his body and dripping from the exposed tip of his weapon. Neither the monster not the legionnaire moved as long flickers passed.

The Day of Darkness. That one too Trajan remembered. He thought for a burn that if he concentrated he'd be able to feel the beasts ichor oozing over his hands again...

Trojans’ first blow was true and clean, cleaving through the dark knights neck and sending his head spinning off into the surrounding melee. A shrill wail of arose from those dark knights nearest, and they melted away from him, glancing fearfully at the glowing sword he clenched in his fist.

Trajan thrust the weapon forward savagely, so that it’s glittering point was aimed directly at the as yet silent knights heart.

...the sword sang… Though the giant knight blocked his initial strike, it was at the cost of it’s weapon for the monsters sword spun away. Triumph rose in Trajans breast as he saw his foe disarmed before him. But before he had a chance to offer the creature amnesty it pushed it’s self forward onto his sword, the razor blade punched through the knights cuirass and into it’s chest, where it’s heart might have been, if it ever had one.

Suddenly the sword’s song turned from joyous to anguished becoming a piercing wail which was carried to every corner of the battlefield.

And the last from earlier this very day, Only this time, he saw the viscous black goo which wasn't quite blood drip from the tip of the sword to fall hissing and spitting onto the ground. In his mind, each hit filled his head with the ringing of some great bell. And vaguely, Trajan was aware that his heart kept time. For some reason that seemed right, even though a more rational part of him screamed and gibbered and crawled. This was all wrong. Trajan Aeneas had never thought like that in his life. But the human soldier couldn't hear his own thoughts for his memories.

[hr] [/hr]

"Shall we pray now, my friends?" Draydis simple query shot across the clearing like an arrow from his bow and severed the chain of thoughts which had held Trajan enthralled. A shuddering gasp exploded from him as he found that his legs were suddenly unsteady, and he knelt a bit more swiftly than intended and his knee's protested when they hit the earth.

“Go.” He said to Angelo if the achadheil made any move toward him. “Join them if you will but I need a moment.” The legionnaire was staring very intently at a spot of earth about three feet in front of his knees and didn't move. He could hear the sword, singing. It was like a symphony. The symphony of battle, the overture of death. The rattle and boom of drums spoke of marshaling forces, and the frenetic trill of flutes evoked the adrenaline rush of contest, while the throaty speech of horns recalled the exultation of victory. The whispering of winds revealed the specter of death. Through it all, the screams of battle and fear, blood-lust and death ran like veins of precious metal through the earth. The sword was a virtuoso of battle, a poet in love with it's craft. Whether or not the sword was evil, it was meant to exact blood, and it thirsted to do so. And it had found a man to be a tool of it's will. Silent tears ran down Trajans cheeks as he listened... once again far away from where he knelt in the dirt.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Draydis wrote:Those present in the clearing could see that his entire body seemed to be covered in gray fur with black tiger-style stripes. From behind, the twisted scars from many orc whips could be seen despite the covering of fur. Whoever had whipped Dray seemed to have been hell-bent on destroying him, as there were very few parts of his back, arms, and neck that did not have a scar.

When he turned, his face appeared similar to his old face, but his nose was elongated, his mouth contained obvious fangs, and his eyes were solid black. If Craghley had doubts that this was Dray, his doubts would likely be eased, as there was enough of the commander's old appearance in his face that showed it was in fact still him.

Craghley would have to organise his thoughts if he were to be able to find anything to have doubts about. The face of a man upon a man, and that of a wolf upon a wolf - neither of those things were fearful in and of themselves. What was horrific at first glance of Draydis was that it clearly was the man, but something more. Faces like that had only existed in Craghley's nightmares, when a loved one had turned around and smiled a monstrous smile before it lept...
Leaping wolves. He remembered the Hunt once more, and Draydis' grisly feast. Perhaps this outward appearance mirrored the inner workings of the adhiel. Draydis, Craghley told himself firmly, had always been someone worthy of his trust. Unless the future showed different, then this was the same person at heart.
So it was that for a couple of flickers Craghley stared warily into the lightless eyes of the general, before offering him his hand in prayer. Then he turned to Angelo and Trajan, mouth forming the first words of a query which was abrubtly cut short.

"It shall have to wait," Craghley said to Draydis. "Something else needs our attention."

Craghley could have no idea of what was happening within Trajan's head, or comprehend how the sword pulled at his soul. All that was apparent was that something was wrong. Very much so. Craghley approached, cautiously. He looked at Angelo, then Draydis, then back to Trajan.

"Trajan? What is the matter?"

He felt foolish just for asking. It had to be the sword, didn't it? Nothing like this had happened during the day, but that was before Baltimus had, well, attached man and sword together. Judging from the looks of things Craghley wondered whether that had been the best course of action. Crippled outside of battle... and what would become of Trajan, once he sought out blood?
After tonight he would do all he could to separate the two. If Trajan accepted his help... he would be able to free him, to heal him. It was what the Mother had chosen for him. Perhaps he could do things in this regard even Draydis had not the ability to. Perhaps... perhaps he could accept some of the poison now and weaken Trajan's burden. Of course Craghley knew next to nothing of how the blade functioned, but in his eyes it was worth an attempt.

"Listen to me, Trajan. I will to help you, if I can."

Return to “The Baron Estates”