[UofM] Pondering Mage (Jygust 30th Morningtide 3rd mark)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

[UofM] Pondering Mage (Jygust 30th Morningtide 3rd mark)

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion had to consider himself rather fortunate.

Weeks ago he had dreaded the thought of being tied to a horrendous Blood Debt, the human family from Kislovan being the most venemous....yet after hearing that they had perished at the hands of the Firelords, he felt a small amount of relief. As much as he abhorred the Firelords actions, it meant his own freedom was that little bit closer. The magus was suprised at Redgrave's mother's reaction. Considering the manner in which her son had been killed, the adhiel mage thought she would have been furious, yet her relatively calm request to pour through her sons's notes was a welcomed alternative indeed. Whilst Regrave's research was not something Ashtallion had had a particular interest in previously, he found himself becoming more and more intrigued by the deceased sorcerer's theory.

It was those very notes he found himself shifting through that morningtide, having been up for the passed Candlemark. Asht had washed then dressed in his simple yet fitted sky blue robe, the silver sash tied around his waist. In his hand he held pieces of parchment and he paced around his chambers whilst reading the notes. What he wanted to figure out was whether Redhrave had actually found a way of tying such energies into the gemstones...and what energy would be required to weave into them. Dectecting sources of magical energy was a theory far from his own mind, and understanding it was the biggest challenge he faced right now. He also was to know what gemstones would be best suited. He knew that Trothgardian crystal were well known for their ability to store Atheric energy, yet they were rare enough, but he assumed the Universtiy would have a few...somewhere.

The work over the last several weeks had been tiring, but rewarding in another sense. Warding had been another area of magic that the gilded sorcerer had never found strength in, but building up the defenses of the University, using his elemental proficency had taught him much. So it was with relief that he could find a little time to look through Redgrave's notes...but he doubted that peacefulness would last for very long until he was summoned to perfom another task. It had not went unnoticed that Peckerton arranged his work away from Durell....another thing to be thankful to the stuttering sorcerer for.

Lowering his arm, the pieces of parchment at his side, Asht wandered over to the window and stared out of it. He brushed back a stray strand of golden hair and mused of the view presented to him. So different to the one he had been used to...and yet...the jungle of Sierra offered a seclusion the University never had in the Citadel. It had certainly brought other problems, but the Magus had a feeling the Ancient building was suited here.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

He was following her again. She could hear his hooves beating a steady pace on the ground behind her.

Viviana turned around to face her tormentor. As soon as she stopped moving, so did he.

“Go home, Ned! Get! Shoo!”

The little unicorn just stood there, looking at her with his big, liquid eyes.

Viviana sighed. It was always the same. Whenever she visited the bestiary, Ned tried to follow her home. Generally, she had plenty of time to take him back to his stall, but this time was different. She'd been told to visit Magus Urdil for tutoring in a quarter of a mark. She had been hoping to go back to her room and clean herself up a bit first. If she had to take Ned back to the bestiary, she would be horribly late by the time she made herself presentable.

She couldn't just leave him out here, though. Despite the fact that he annoyed her, she was fond of the little fellow.

Viviana turned back toward the bestiary. Her little shadow traipsed behind her.

So I'll smell like horse. Whatever. I don't think I need tutoring anyway. It's all because I get into so much trouble with magic. So I like to experiment. Isn't that how you learn new things? Without experimentation, life wouldn't be like it is today. We'd all be running around hitting each other on the head with clubs or something. But that doesn't mean I need extra tutoring ... I have enough to do, thank you very much.

She had to attend her regular classes, finish some sewing and deliver it to Realt, and she was supposed to have a report finished on demons yesterday. Demons! She thought studying demons was rather stupid. She'd heard that there had been some sort of demon invasion the day before she arrived at the University, but certainly there would never be another. She wasn't scared of them anyway. Compared with some of the horrors she had faced on the street, dealing with a demon would be child's play.

Ned followed her into his stall, just the way he followed her everywhere. The young achadhiel sprinted out and shut the gate quickly. “Now stay there,” she said, stroking his soft white mane, trying to project her thoughts to him, hoping he would understand. “I'll come back and see you later. I promise.”

Ned rubbed the side of his horned head against her hair as she turned to walk away. After the first two steps, she felt her head wrenched back. “Ouch!”

The silly unicorn had one of her hair ribbons in his mouth and was pulling it toward him. “Ned! Stop! That hurts!”

Ned kept pulling. Her head twisted painfully back and sideways. Whatever possessed me to wear ribbons today? I don't know how I'm going to get out of this one. “Ned! Please ....”

She projected pain toward him, and disappointment at his actions as she tried to wrench her head back to its normal position. The projected thoughts probably wouldn't help, but it was worth a try.

Abruptly, the little unicorn let go. Viviana, still pulling against him, fell to her hands and knees in the dirt. She hopped up quickly and dusted herself off as best she could, smoothing her forest-green tunic and brushing the dirt from the knees of her brown leather breeches. “Oh, Ned,” she said, turning back to the unicorn. “Whatever am I going to do with you?”

Ned just tossed his little head playfully.

Without another word, Viviana turned and left the bestiary, running for the Hall of Ages as fast as she could. She couldn't outrun a magical unicorn, of course, but she could try. She looked back once she was through the gates. There was no sign of her unwelcome shadow. Sighing in relief, she headed up the staircase to the Tower of Elementalism.

She was a bit out of breath when she got to the top and it took her a few burns to find Magus Urdil's chambers. She stood in front of the door for a moment, catching her breath. She doubted she would make a very good impression ... she smelled faintly of horse, the knees of her breeches were a bit dirty, and one green ribbon hung in tatters down her back while the other one was tied neatly into a bow on the other side of her head ... but it couldn't really be helped. And she didn't care anyway. Perhaps this Magus Urdil would be so disgusted by her he would send her away.

Then there would be no tutoring and she could get back to her life.

Taking a deep breath, the aspiring mage rapped sharply on the door.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The solid knock on his door caused the sorcerer to turn, somewhat slowly. His eye brow rose before he moved from the window, wondering who it could be. One of the Professors with some tedious piece of work for him? It wouldn't have surprised him. Still holding the notes in his left hand, he strode over to the door, raising a finger as he did so to make an odd twisting movement to undo the wards he had placed. Minor ones, but necessary.

Turning the handle, Ashtallion opened the wooden door, and regarded the young woman standing before him. Dishellved, with a distinct odour of horse wafting from her, picked up by his inherently acute sense of smell and breathing quite heavily. His eye brow remained raised as he took in her appearance. Still, an attractive young woman, nothing a bit of tidying up couldn't fix. In comparison, the adhiel lord stood taller, robed in sky robe, contrasting perfectly with the golden mane of hair that fell to his shoulders and just over, and the equally striking metallic eyes, the same hue of his hair. With finely chiselled, almost feminine features, but a toned and strong build, he appeared almost regal......or so the mage was wont to think of himself at any rate.

"Can I help you young Miss?"

His voice was almost melodic to the ear, resonant and rich. Were the Faculty holding in lesser regard now, and simply sent one of their students to issue orders to him? If such were the case, despite his demoted standing, the sorcerer would be less than impressed.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Viviana subtly accessed this tall regal adhiel as she did all adhiel males, her large blue-violet eyes searching his fine features for any similarity to her own. There were none. He could not possibly be her father. She didn't know why, but she was relieved.

He was very interesting to look at, though, this golden man. Very interesting indeed. She especially liked his eyes. They were as unusual as hers, but in a different way. His blended in perfectly with his coloring, while hers were a startling contrast to her caramel skin and multi-hued hair. She noticed the cut of his robe, how perfectly it fit him. She thought most sorcerers looked a bit ridiculous in their robes, but this man didn't. Not a bit.

Standing before him she felt small, awkward, inadequate... and very very young. She was acutely aware of her disheveled appearance and her appalling smell. Why hadn't she taken the time to go up to her room and change? You don't care what you look like, remember? You want to make a bad impression. But she didn't. Not any more. Her conflicting feelings confused her.

"Can I help you young Miss?"

Her eyes widened. He didn't know she was coming? Did she have the wrong room? No, she was certain this was the right place. This is your chance, Viviana, she told herself. You don't want tutoring anyway. Just say you're sorry, you have the wrong room, and leave.

“I ...I ...” her rich alto voice faltered. She never stammered. Why did she have to start now? “I'm sorry, I ...” No, she couldn't lie to him. If she did, she'd be in trouble. Again. If she kept it up, she'd be thrown out of the Academy, and then she'd lose the best chance she had of finding her father. She wasn't ready to give up her magick studies either, although she supposed she could find someone to teach her if she went back to the Citadel. That wasn't what she wanted, though.

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, the young achadhiel spoke again, looking directly into the golden man's eyes. She really liked those eyes. “Are you Magus Urdil?” she asked, trying to keep her voice neutral. A bit of resentment and defiance slipped into her tone anyway. “If you are, I've been instructed to come to you for tutoring. My name is Viviana Kaleyis.”
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

OOC: Apologies for the massive delay!

IC:

"I am Magus Urdil....", a quizzical expression flittered across his face, before a dawning light of comprehension filled his eyes. " Ah, yes. I remember one of the Professors informing me that I might have someone coming for a little help.", since being so thoroughly demoted, Ashtallion had only on rare occassions been able to instruct students on minor things, so it was actually a welcomed task when on turned up at his door.

"Please, do come in Miss Kaleyis.", the adhiel stepped back a few paces before gesturing for Viviana to enter his chamber. The main area was relatively sparse, save for a solid dark wood desk, upon which was littered several books and a few stacks of parchments and scrolls. There was a small table in another corner with two chairs, one of either side. A teapot sat upon it with a few delicate but pretty cups. A pitcher of water rested upon the table also, for many new that Ashtallion preferred drinking water to anything else. But he made the odd exception on special occassions.

A few chests, drawers and cupboards were placed against the walls. Two other doors led off to different rooms, one of which would obviously be his bedroom.

The magus waited until Viviana entered before closing the door and yet again spun his finger in the air before it and muttered under his breath, reactivating the simple wards bound to the door itself. Walking over to the tea-table, the sorcerer gracefully lowered himself into the chair on the right, and waved for the Apprentice-Sorceress to take the vacant chair. "Come, Miss Kaleyis....you have been sent to me for tutoring.", the corner of his lip curled into a smile, though it was not condescending. "By your tone I can tell you do not believe you need it? Would I be correct in that surmise?", a low chuckle escaped his throat, yet it still managed to sound as though no offense were meant.

"How about we start simply by talking? You are an Apprentice here, and surely cannot turn down the offer of a little advice. ", the latter was not a question. "Tell me about yourself. Where you come from...and what branch of magic you aim to excell in.", the last state brought a sparkle to those already shimmering gold eyes. What Sorcerer could not get excited when discussing magic?
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

OOC: Don't worry about it. I thought you had just fallen asleep after reading my last post. :-)

>^..^<

Viviana prowled around the room while Magus Urdil set his wards, feeling the now familiar tingle of magick as he did so. The tingle had intensified since she had arrived at the University. Sometimes she even felt it right before a spell was cast. It was a gift she felt would definitely come in handy one day.

She hadn't learned warding yet herself. Even if she did know how, she doubted she would ward her own room. It wasn't like anyone meant her harm. And she could defend herself if someone did. She always kept one of her daggers strapped to her thigh and slept with another one under her pillow. It was habit more than anything else.

So what was this Magus Urdil so afraid of that he warded his chambers? He had to be quite advanced in magick or she wouldn't have been sent to him for tutoring. Couldn't he defend himself? Maybe he just didn't want to.

The pretty achadhiel cocked her head and studied him as he turned and walked over to the table with the cute little teacups on it. He moved so gracefully, making her feel more awkward and younger than she already did. And more confused. For some strange reason, she felt drawn to this golden man in a way she didn't understand. And she didn't like it one tiny bit.

She took the chair he offered, perching on the very edge of it as if poised for flight at any moment.

"Come, Miss Kaleyis....you have been sent to me for tutoring,” he said, the corner of his lip curled into a smile. She liked his smile as much as she liked his eyes. "By your tone I can tell you do not believe you need it? Would I be correct in that surmise?"

Viviana glared at him. She wasn't angry at Magus Urdil though; she was angry at herself for allowing her emotions to show through her voice. She didn't say anything. She simply sprang from the chair and began pacing nervously around the room. What was wrong with her? She was usually so calm and in control of herself.

"How about we start simply by talking? You are an Apprentice here, and surely cannot turn down the offer of a little advice. Tell me about yourself. Where you come from...and what branch of magic you aim to excel in.”

She turned to look at him. His golden eyes shimmered and she found that she didn't want to look away. She wasn't an apprentice yet, not really ... and the way she was going she would be tossed out on her arse before she got the chance. If she made it and she had to be apprenticed to somebody, she wondered if it could be this man. But would he want her? Probably not, once he realized how much trouble she was. She sighed.

“There's ... there's really very little to tell about myself,” she said. In the two months she had been here, Viviana had perfected the lie she told about her past, cleverly leaving out her time on the street. “I've lived in the Citadel all my life. My parents ...” she usually said they were dead, but she felt that she should tell at least a partial truth to Magus Urdil. “I haven't seen my parents in many yahren. I assume they are dead. My guardian took care of me instead. Her brother was a sorcerer and often entertained me with tricks. That's how I became interested in magick.” Not exactly the entire truth, but she was not about to say anything about the search for her father.

“So I enrolled here a couple of months ago. I quickly realized that magic was much more than a few simple tricks, and that I wanted to learn it all.” She moved closer to him and stopped her pacing. Her eyes were now shining as well, and their color was a pure vivid violet. Although she wasn't aware of it, her eyes always shone more violet than blue when she was passionate about something. “It's strange, but I feel that magick is my destiny. It calls to me. It seduces me. It wants to be a part of me. It is difficult for me to explain.

“I see patterns sometimes in the Aether. My friends say they don't see them. I don't know what most of them mean, but sometimes it is impossible to turn away from them. The energies call to me. Sometimes ... sometimes I just have to weave then together ...and ... well ... this gets me into trouble. Often the results of my experiments are disastrous. I once started a fire and it singed off some of my hair. See?” She lifted up the brown-red-gold ringlets that were closest to her face. They were quite a bit shorter than the rest of her hip-length curls. “I had to cut the other side to match.”

Now that she had started talking, she found that she could not stop. She wanted to confide in him, She wanted him to help her. Her feelings wee very confusing. “The truth is, my classes often go too slow for me. I feel I am capable of so much that they aren't teaching me. And I find it difficult to wait.

“I heard the professors talking about me once. Ok, so I admit I hid in a cupboard while they were having a meeting. It was a dare.” She looked down at the floor. “I'm ashamed of it now, but you never think it's wrong while you're doing it, do you?"

She raised her eyes. Her full lips turned down into a pretty little pout, one that had some of the men in Realt and a few students at the University dreaming things about her that would make the naïve young girl blush if she knew about them. "I couldn't hold back a sneeze and even though I turned myself invisible, they found me. I can only stay invisible for a few flickers, no matter how much I practice.”

She sighed. “Anyway, the professors said I had a lot of talent, but that it needs taming.”

“Perhaps that's why they sent me to you.” Viviana plopped down in the chair she had vacated earlier and leaned over the table, close to the adhiel sorcerer. The teacups rattled gently. Innocent violet eyes gazed imploringly into golden ones. “Do you think you can tame me, Magus Urdil?”
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

His gaze never left her, even as she stood and paced, glared at him, and professed her experience so far with sorcery, neither did his expression of attentive interest. As she finished and locked eyes with him, the older sorcerer looked into those violet eyes, almost searching. Asht gave a small, almost indiscernible nod before turning slightly and pouring himself water from the pitcher into a goblet which sat there also. He poured a second, and gestured for Viviana to take the second goblet.... "I find the humidity far warmer, and I dehydrate....please, help yourself."

The gilded magus took a delicate swallow of the water, placed it down and let his hand rest on the table, the other on his knee.

With careful and deliberate words, he then started to answer her.

"I can relate to sorcery callingto you, Miss Kaleyis.....for it has done the very same to me. Many times I have wove spells, powerful spells, and the magic seeks to take control...it wants me to unleash my will and let loose everything I have. To me, that is not true strength. Be careful, for sorcery can be very seductive. Giving over to your emotions, your whims....that can lead down a much darker, and terrible path. You must learn to enstill your own will upon the magic. Magic, if left to take control, can have disastrous effects. Believe, I know."

"You must control the magic, least it destroy you.", with this he fixed his piercing eyes on her to enforce the weight behind his words. "I would need to think more on your aspect of seeing the Aether, the energies of this world do not....speak....to me, as they may do to you. And I cannot say I have ever heard of one percieving the aether as such.", his finger tapped his lip for a flicker before continuing.

"Your classes go too slow for you.....is that because you understand what is being taught much quicker than your classmates, or that you do not believe you need to know the fundamentals of what is being taught, and can start at a higher level?", his tone was mild, not accusatory, he simply wanted to gain a better understanding of why she thought her classes were not advancing her quickly enough. "Talent, that is always an excellent start, but if you do not have the mental discipline to listen, the patience and understanding of why magic is taught a certain way.....that talent will do you little good."

"I can attempt to tutor you.....perhaps this....wildness?....of your aetheric perception does need taming. I consider myself to have good control over my emotions, and by extensive, my weaving of energies. Have you a particular type of energy with which you feel a natural affinity for? It may be an idea to start there...."
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Viviana tossed down the contents of her goblet rather artlessly. She'd been at the Bestiary since dawn, and even though someone had beaten her to mucking it out, tending to the animals in the morning heat was definitely thirst-inducing. She was hungry too, but she knew asking if he had any food around would be impolite.

She sat back in the chair as Magus Urdil started speaking, trying to keep her attention on his words and not his voice. It was difficult, for his voice was quite pleasing. It was one of those voices you could listen to all day. In fact, he could read from the stuffiest tome in the University's library in a language she didn't understand, and she would still be entranced.

Wrenching her mind back to the subject at hand, the aspiring mage shuddered when he mentioned that magic could destroy her if she didn't learn to control it. She had never really thought that it was possible for an intangible force to assert dominance over a living creature, but now she knew that was exactly what was happening to her. She needed to get a grasp on it, but how?

By the time the adhiel sorcerer had finished speaking, Viviana was leaning forward again, elbows on the table, chin in her cupped hands. "I hope you can help me, sir,” she said softly. “Your strength seems to be my weakness. I have very little control over my emotions. I am very spontaneous, and always have been. A better word might be impulsive. I often act before I think, but when you ...” she stopped abruptly, realizing that she had been about to tell him that when you grow up on the street, your survival often depends on acting quickly, before you even have the time to plan out what you should do.

She stood up and started pacing again. Movement helped her think. “I guess impulsiveness is one of my biggest faults. Perhaps that is why the magic finds it easy to manipulate me. I was not aware that it could ... could control me ... and that frightens me. It is almost as if magic is not a force but a living entity with thoughts and ideas of its own."

She stopped abruptly and turned to face him, head cocked to the side. Her long curls bounced against her back. "Is this the truth of it? Is magic truly alive?"

The pretty achadhiel pondered this for a moment before speaking again. "As for my classes," she put her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes, looking exactly like the rebellious teenager she was, "I wasn't born yesterday, Magus Urdil. I know I must have a good foundation before I learn more advanced techniques. I do learn faster than most of my classmates, and it does get boring waiting for them to understand something that is as plain to me as the nose on my face. And of course, I'm not patient.” She gave him a cute, lopsided grin. “I'm sixteen. I want to do everything at once.” She twirled around, arms outstretched as if trying to embrace the world.” My life lies ahead of me, just waiting to be explored.” Plopping back into the chair, she leaned forward, her eyes piercing his. “Don't you remember what it was like to be sixteen, sir?”

Viviana paused for a moment, deep in thought. “Air magic fascinates me the most. Almost every night I dream of flying. I don't know why. I love to move objects through the air. I am better at it than any of my friends. It's fun. Watch.”

She slipped into the Aether effortlessly and concentrated on what she wished to do. The pattern appeared before her and she began to weave it. The water pitcher rose from the table, wobbling just a bit. It was heavier than the objects she was most comfortable lifting. She winced slightly, and her tongue snaked out of the corner of her mouth as she focused on her task.

The pitcher moved over to her goblet and tipped itself over clumsily, sloshing water into the glass. Only a small bit of liquid splashed onto the table. She hoped none of it had splashed on Magus Urdil. She doubted he would be happy with that.

The pitcher then moved back to its original spot. Her control was not perfect, but she thought she did rather well, considering she had been learning magic for barely two months.

Perhaps I should show him something else as well ... something I have more control over. The young achadhiel stood up and moved away from the table. Producing a lightball, she mingled its energy with that of the air so it looked as if she were throwing it up towards the ceiling. She twirled around three times and “caught” the orb in her right hand. Kicking her left leg high, she “tossed” the lightball under it, turned around, and “caught” it with her left hand in back. Spinning to face her audience of one, she “flipped” it again, producing another one which she “tossed” as well, "catching" both of them at the same time. She 'threw” one up, produced a third lightball and “juggled” for a few flickers. She then “flipped” one high and dissipated it, doing the same with the other two.

Happy with her performance, she smiled sweetly at her tutor. “So you see, I really love the energy of air.” She sat back at the table and took a dainty sip from her goblet. The girl was a conflict of energies herself ... spinning wildly one flicker and then sitting delicately the next. Always moving, completely unpredictable ... that was Viviana.

“But I do wish to be proficient with all of the energies," she said. "I want to be a very powerful sorceress one day. So teach me, sir. Teach me how to gain control over the magic so that I can achieve my goal without it destroying me first.”
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The sorcerer had to admit, he was fairly impressed by the level of control the young aspiring wizardess had already obtained within a short period of time. But then, hadn't he accomplished much in such a time frame as well? Ashtallion waited patiently until Viviana had finished her demonstration, still maintaining a relatively passive expression, yet those metallic eyes simply reflected everything, they gave nothing away in regards to what he was thinking.

"Whether or not magic is alive, Viviana, I do not have the answer to that. But why could't it be? Does our ability not come from using the Aether? Do the Gods themselves not reside within that Realm? For the thousands upon thousands of years Sorcerers have been using magic....could it not have developed its own form of consciousness?", the magus merely shrugged. "That can be a discussion for another time."

"Even if it is alive, it is obviously proven that we Magic-Users have the strength within us to control it. Unless we are simply fools and have fallen for a very clever bluff on sorcery's part. So far, from what you have stated, you have evidently managed to control the power for the majority. I hear Sorcery's Song whenever I delve into the Aether and weave my spells. I can hear the blood lust, the hunger, in the lances of lightning and balls of flame I can wield. Screaming to be released. But they are only cast why I say so.", he was not inclined to tell her that even he had had a few close calls on that front.

"...Don't you remember what it was like to be sixteen, sir?"

At this, the mage let a soft laugh escape, "Viviana, I am almost 80 Yahren old. It has been decades since I was sixteen.....so....no, I suppose I don't quite remember what it was like to be your age, but I can surely imagine. You may be young, and you may want to do everything now. But look at it this way, you are young, so you have the time to be patient. If you wish to become a power Sorceress, and learn about all the differing types of energy...you will have to learn patience. I don't know about all the energies that a mage can manipulate, but in that respect, I suppose I am lucky.....I will live for hundreds of yahren, I have the time to learn so much more. Hopefully."

Asht cocked his head to the side as he regarded her, "You are half-adhiel....you will have more years than the average human does....take advantage of that.", he smiled and turned to take another swallow from the goblet of water, which he then refilled.

"I will tell you, I am impressed by your level of control already.... and I am fairly comfortable in manipulating air energy also. That can be a start for us. Eventually though...", his right hand rose before him, and within his aetheric vision, into which he enetered, the sorcerer twisted several strands of heat around his hand, making certain he was shielded before hand, and ignited flame about it. To Viviana, it would seem as though he held naked fire in his bare palm, and yet, it did not burn, nor did he scream out in pain. "You will Master all the Elements, just as I am seeking to do. If that is of interest...", he watched the flames for a moment longer, a wry smile on his lips, before his hand snapped shut and snuffed out the fire in his palm.

"I will teach you control..... and you will learn control.", at the latter, his eyes seemed to darken with intent, and his words were spoken firmly, suggesting he woud brook no failure on this students part.

"Now, please, sit on one of the cushions in the corner there...", he gestured, rising as he did so. "We will start with a bit of meditation. It might not seem important just now, and a slow start, but in meditation, your mind can explore your inner recesses and bring to light the answers to questions which you have not even asked yet."
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

OOC: “Fancy” is Viviana's derogatory term for noble.

>^..^<

The young magic student noticed immediately when Magus Urdil used her given name instead of the rather formal “Miss Kaleyis.” It was not really surprising, as some of her professors did the same, especially the few who actually liked her. Did that mean he liked her already? She rather doubted that, as he only had the slightest glimpse into her personality. Perhaps he believed that their tutor/student relationship should have a degree of familiarity. That was fine with her. She had to admit she liked the sound of her name on his lips.

She wondered what his given name was, not that she could ever call him by it. One of the first things her guardian had taught the uncivilized street urchin was respect, and it was a lesson that Viviana had learned well. Respect, especially coupled with humility, could open many doors; unfortunately humility was something at which the girl did not excel. So she focused on respect, which seemed to please most of the people she had met so far in her young life, hopefully including the golden sorcerer in whose company she currently found herself.

So what was his given name? Most likely something sophisticated and dignified, like he was. For the first time, Viviana wondered if he was a Fancy. He rather acted like one, not that she had a lot of experience with Fancies. Mostly, they had slapped her away or threw things at her when she had begged for money or food. Even now, after dealing with them in a more civilized manner in Signora Bianchi's shop, she still loathed Fancies. She supposed she could forgive Magus Urdil for being one, if indeed he was. She couldn't imagine him shoving away poor defenseless children. He would probably toss them a few banners instead.

Her attention returned to the present when he spoke about the possible sentience of magic. If it is alive, she thought, I will find out and I will learn to speak its language so that I can more efficiently harness its power. That, however, would take quite some time and a great deal of knowledge on her part, especially if she had to reach Magus Urdil's age to be as experienced as he was. She doubted, however, that one of the infinitely patient adhiel race had begun his magic studies as young as she.

Eighty yahren? To Viviana, that seemed positively ancient, although she knew it was quite young for an adhiel. She herself would only be entering middle age when she turned eighty. That was hard to fathom, though, growing up as she had among humans. She realized how inexperienced she was in the ways of her father's race. She wanted to impress him when she found him; not disgust him with too many human mannerisms. She knew that despite the darkness of her skin, she looked more adhiel than human; that was reinforced by Magus Urdil's mention of her heritage. Her ears were always hidden under her thick mane of hair so he must have based his assumption upon her facial features instead. Perhaps he could help her learn more about adhiel customs, as well as improve her rather shaky grasp on the language. She would need to know him a bit better before she asked him, though.

She was quite proud when he told her he was pleased by the control she already had. The impassive look he gave her after her impromptu performance was impossible to decipher. She had wondered if he thought she was just showing off. Viviana did not know why she felt the need to impress him. Perhaps she simply wanted to show him what she had already accomplished. Yes, that must be it.

Her eyes widened as he produced fire from the palm of his hand. She leaned forward to study it, making certain she held her hair back so it would not be singed again. It was most definitely real fire, and yet his hand did not burn. She could see how the spell was formed, but she was not able to duplicate it. She simply did not have the experience. But one day I will. One day I will be able to do all that and more. And I will make certain that day comes long before I turn eighty.

"I will teach you control..... and you will learn control. "

His golden eyes seemed to bore into her soul and his firm tone told her he would not take any nonsense. He now looked and sounded like the Fancies she was familiar with. The image of him tossing banners to a group of homeless children was replaced with one of him bashing them over the head with an ax. She was a bit frightened of this aspect of his personality, although she did understand it. He wanted her to succeed. He knew how important it was that she gain control over the magic. I promise I will not disappoint you, she said silently.

She did hope his teaching style was not boring and monotonous. From what she had seen so far, he struck her as the serious, distinguished type, perhaps even a bit world-weary. Did he ever crack jokes, play games, or act in an uninhibited carefree manner? She rather doubted it. Then again, she barely knew him. For all she knew, he might get naked and run through the jungle every night. Somehow, though, she could not see him doing something as wild as that.

“I know how important it is to learn control,” she said, as she plopped down on the one of the cushions he indicated. It was soft and quite comfortable. “And I do wish to master all of the elements as well as many other types of energy. Magic is important to me, and I will do everything you ask of me in order to learn it. Although I do learn quickly, I will admit that I learn better and remember more when my lessons are as entertaining as they are informative.”

She stretched her legs in front of her, reaching her hands up toward the ceiling. Bending over, she touched her head to her knees, holding the stretch for a few flickers before raising herself up. She always did this before she meditated. It helped her to concentrate. The limber young mage repeated the process three times before assuming a cross-legged position. Turning her full attention back to her tutor, she smiled playfully, her blue-violet eyes sparkling with mischief. “Do you know how to have fun, Magus Urdil? Or have you forgotten what it is like to embrace life with wild abandon? If so, perhaps there are a few things that you can learn from me.”
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

OOC: Apologies!

IC:

"Fun?"

He looked at the aspiring sorceress, cocking his head to the side with a strangely puzzled expressin flitting momentarily across his smooth, almost feminine features.

"Well...yes, I do know how to have fun. However each individual is entitiled to their own perception of what they consider to be 'fun'. Would you not agree?", he had thought her initial process before meditation interesting...not something he would do himself, but it was always fascinating to see what others, even less experienced mages, practiced. "Tell me then, what do you consider to be fun, Miss Kaleyis? Or rather, what do percieve to be fun?"

His gilded eyes had lost that puzzled look and now focused intently on her once more. He had assumed a position much like Viviana, cross his legs and placing his hand in his lap, one covering the other.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Viviana laughed, a low, rich, sultry sound that was quite at odds with her innocent ways. “Oh, you don't have to be so literal about it.” Her eyes, still dancing with mischief, met his. “Of course we all have different perceptions of fun. If we were all the same, life would be sooooo boring.”

He was back to formality again. Was it because she had caught him momentarily off guard? Or was his early familiarity just a slip up he had not even noticed?

She cocked her head to the side in her kittenish way. “The truth is ... I find almost everything fun. I was sentenced to work in the bestiary for hiding in that cupboard at the professors' meeting. That was what I was doing before I came here this morning. It is supposed to be a punishment, but I think it's fun. I love tending to the animals, and sometimes ... sometimes ... I can almost figure out what they are thinking. That's fun.

“Trying new things is fun. Creativity is fun. A piece of fabric isn't anything special by itself, but you can cut it, sew it, drape it, and embellish it until it is a beautiful piece of clothing. There is no greater satisfaction than being able to craft an object of beauty. At least I don't think so.

"In fact, the classes I like best are with imaginative professors. Be inventive and you'll hold my attention. Drone on and on in a tedious way and you'll lose it.”

Somehow she couldn't see Magus Urdil being tiresome. Underneath that imperturbable exterior was a creative soul. She could sense it. Perhaps he would show her a bit of it, if he wished to ... or if she was clever enough to draw it out. That's not what you're here for, Viviana. You're here to learn from this man, not about him. Remember that.

“Getting to know people and learning their life stories is fun,” she continued. “Making friends is fun, and so is making enemies. After all, everyone can't like you, can they? I make the best of it and don't let it bother me.

“Perhaps that's the secret to fun ... not getting bogged down in the serious stuff. Just taking life as it comes and enjoying every minute of it. That's what I try to do. It isn't always easy, but the very process of trying is ... well ... fun.”

"So ... " The young magic student leaned forward, putting her elbows on her knees and resting her chin in her cupped hands. Her eyes, still sparkling, never left his. “What do you perceive to be fun? And don't say magic, because I already know that."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

When was the last time he had actually had.......fun? At time that did not involve using magic anyway.

He sat staring at Viviana, trying to remember. "Um....", his eyes flicked away for a moment. "To be perfectly honest, I can't say I quite remember the last time I had fun. I guess I could say I don't have the time. As I get older, priorities take over from having fun. I may not have 'fun' as you may, Miss Kaleyis. Rather, I take enjoyment in certain things. Simply reading is an example. Having the time and space to simply be by myself.

"I find enjoyment in the company of my friends.", what few I have at any rate., "Though, I suppose I do find a certain element of fun in kicking demonic ass. Seems to be a regular activity of mine.", he smirked slightly, and was that a hint of remembered thrill in his eyes?

"Well, perhaps rather than meditating, we find another way for you to practice. Being more active and involved, by the sounds of it, will help you better, rather than sitting with your eyes closed? I can think of a way for you to improve control that may help."

He stood once more, and strode over to one of the drawers. Pulling it open, the golden magus reached in and lifted out a small round ball. "It will help you in familiarising yourself more with air enegy at the same time.", he smiled, a flash of white teeth.

"If you will stand, Miss Kaleyis?"
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The girl sprang to her feet in one graceful movement. Her large eyes grew wider. “You regularly fight demons and win? I knew they weren't as frightening as everyone here makes them out to be.”

She had to admit that most of what he considered fun would bore her to tears. Demon fighting, however, sounded quite exciting. Her demonology class consisted mostly of basic facts about demons and learning how to stay safe if there was another invasion. Do exactly what you're told, and let the more experienced mages deal with it. Fuck that. If demons showed up at the University again, she wanted to be right in the thick of it, fighting for all she was worth. She was a good fighter. You had to be to survive what she had.

Perhaps she should research demons a bit, find out more about them than just the basics. Knowing your enemy was one of the secrets of successful fighting. That way, if she ever met one, she would be prepared.

“I wouldn't mind kicking some demon arse myself,” she said. “I suppose you use magic, but do weapons work on demons? I'm pretty good at throwing knives. You know what I would really like to learn? How to magically guide my knives so they always hit their target. Can you teach me that, sir, after you teach me control? Those demons wouldn't stand a chance!” Neither would anyone else who means me harm, she added to herself.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Oh, demons are just as frightening as you could possibly imagine, Miss Kaleyis. Very frightening. I have simply found myself in the situation where I have had to fight...on more than one occassion. But the fact I have been able to best some, does not diminish the terror they enstill. If you are interested in how to combat demons, I suggest you pay a visit to the Battlemagery Tower and see if the wizards there can give you a few pointers. The only advice I can give, is to hit them hard, and hit them first. ", he smiled pleasently before taking another few steps forward.

" Now, you gave me an idea with that small light show of yours. ", Ashtallion held out his right hand, where the blue ball rested, centering himself, he slipped into his aetheric vision and wove a few strands of air around the ball to lift it. It hovered above his palm, and remained in the air even when he dropped his arm back to his side.

" You have an intuitive grasp over air energy, I think. Your demonstration with the pitcher proved that. Lets take it further. ", mentally, he started to move the ball around his person in a circle. " We shall start by simply passing this coloured ball between us. I will throw it, you catch it. And then you will throw it back. This might give you practice in guiding your blades as well. ", another smile, and then he lightly propelled the coloured at Viviana.

Her objective should be to quickly weave a few strands of air around it to stop its movement, and take control of its direction. It would help her to think quickly.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

As soon as she felt the first tingle of magic, Viviana popped eagerly into the Aether with her usual youthful exuberance. It wasn't quite as effortless as the first time, as her earlier demonstration had taken more out of her than she had thought. Moving the pitcher had probably done it. It was heavier than the objects she usually lifted, requiring more effort and concentration.

She watched carefully as Magus Urdil wove the air around the ball and sent it moving gently in her direction. She didn't think the small spell would be that difficult to duplicate. She saw the pattern before her and begin to stitch the nearly transparent floss of air around the blue floss of the ball to stop it. Although the ball was by no means hurtling toward her, she found that it moved a bit faster than she could stitch. She did manage to stop it, but she had to move out of its way and let it float a bit past her before her pattern was complete.

She muttered a few curses under her breath. This wasn't good. She'd never impress him this way. Impress him? Where had that idea come from? But she realized it was true. For some strange reason, she felt the need to impress this golden adhiel, although she did not know why. She wanted him to think highly of her, to believe that she was better than other new mages. Her feelings, as they had done ever since she had first set eyes on him, comfused her. Generally, she couldn't care less what others thought of her. With Magus Urdil, though, it was all different. For once her emotions were getting the best of her logic, and she was quite uncomforable with the sensation.

She would impress him when she sent the ball back, though. She knew she would, even though she had never tried to propel anything quite so large through the air before. Small objects were easy, like the tiny water-filled pouches she used in her game of magical tag. This would prove more difficult. The technique, however, was the same.

She turned her attention to the ball, floating just beyond her. Focusing intently, she saw the pattern and begin to stitch. The ball began to move, but very very slowly. At least it's going in the right direction, she thought as she watched it drift leisurely by her. It shouldn't be so slow, though. I need more air.

The impulsive girl began to add more air floss to the pattern, but she wove it too tightly. The ball did move faster, but it being constricted by the energy. It was halfway between the two of them, when ...

POP

... The air whooshed out of it. Astonished, Viviana reeled backwards and fell to the floor, her backside hitting the ground with an undignified thud. The deflated ball landed on her lap. What she had done was definitely impressive ... it was just the wrong kind of impressive.

She was so shocked she forgot to curse.

All that came out of her was a confused little “oops.”
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

One eyebrow rose slightly as Viviana fell back. Should I have started with something simpler?

Ashtallion regarded the young woman with little expression on his face. He did not want to embarress her by smirking, nor chide her by frowning. She was learning. He prided himself on having patience, sometimes, after all, he had the yahren to spare that others did not.

" Not a bad start, Miss Kaleyis. You managed to slow the ball. Do you see how important control is? Too little energy and its useless, too much can result in the unexpected. ", Asht gestured casually to the now deflated ball. " You acted relatively swiftly, faster than I had expected anyway. So, good. Perhaps though we should have started with stationary objects? Or are you tired, Miss Kaleyis.....? ", his eyes drifted to the pitcher. Had that been trying for the girl?

He moved almost silently across the floor, save for the whispering of his robes, and held down a hand to her. " Perhaps I should have asked you what you would like to have started with? I find control a difficult thing to let go of, the same applies to my lessons, but there is no point in doing something that is a hinderence to your development merely because it could work for me. Tell me, what application of magic would help you learn? "

Golden eyes studied her, shimmering in light, almost with their own aetheric quality. Many had looked into those eyes, and seen only the mirror like reflection of themselves. Few could read what lay behind those glittering orbs.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

A trifle embarrassed, Viviana sighed and set the poor deflated ball on the floor beside her. She supposed it was a good sign that he didn't laugh at her or tell her to leave immediately, that she wasn't worth his effort to teach. Instead he actually praised what she had done correctly. Perhaps there was hope for her yet.

Raising her eyes to his, she searched them for signs of how he really felt. She trusted what she saw in eyes. It was easy to deceive someone with body language or words, but one's eyes rarely lied. His, however, told her nothing, although they seemed to draw her into their golden depths, much as the aether beckoned to her. She could get lost in his eyes. She wanted to ...

She grasped his proffered hand to pull herself up. It enveloped hers warmly and the warmth spread up her arm and snaked down her spine. Her heart skipped a beat and something fluttered in the pit of her stomach. She felt ... funny ... and she didn't know why. All she knew is she didn't want it to stop.

What was wrong with her?

She dropped his hand abruptly as soon as she was on her feet. Her own still tingled from his touch and she unconsciously grasped it with her other one and held both of them to her chest. Why was he making her feel so odd? And why did she like it?

“Tired?” she asked, her voice sounding as if it came from far away. “No ... no. I'm not tired ... maybe a little ... but if I don't work though my fatigue, I will never build endurance. I will know when I need to stop and then I'll tell you. Oh, and ....” she wrenched her eyes away from his, and turned her attention back to the ball. “I'm sorry about your ball.”

She took a deep breath. She was beginning to feel more like herself again, albeit a bit warm. When had it become so hot in here? “Perhaps the problem is that we started with an energy I feel comfortable with.” She was standing very close to him. She could smell his scent. She wanted to be closer ...

Frightened of her own thoughts, she took a step back. What are you thinking, Viviana? she asked herself. You can't be falling for him. Oh, he's handsome ... all adhiel are. But he's far too old for you. And a little bit frightening, with all that power he has. You're just in awe of his magical experience. That's all it is. Of course. That's it.

She took another deep breath and forced her mind back to learning magic.

“Fire,” she said. “Can we start with that? I once made a fireball by accident. That's what singed my hair. I've experimented with fire energy before, but not near as much as with air. So maybe that will be better to start with. I know what I did wrong with the ball. I'll be more careful from now on.”

As she raised her gaze back to his, her blue-violet eyes sparkled with the eagerness to learn and just a hint of those strange new feelings. “And please ... call me Viviana. That's my name after all. We don't need to be so formal, do we?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

"Don't worry about the ball. It's replaceable.", he waved his hand dismissively once she had stood, and backed off a little. The sorcerer thought little of this, he was used to students being slightly intimidated by him, and more recently, doing so out of scorn or mistrust after what happened with the University being translocated.

“Fire,” she said. “Can we start with that?....."

As she stopped speaking, Ashtallion tilted his head slightly and gave her a peculiar look as he regarded her.

"Fire.....hmmm.", he paused again.

"Not an element I would normally suggest starting with....though in all honesty, I did. I found I had an extreme natural affinity for all the elements, but in particular, fire.", his eyes lost focus as he appeared to be recalling certain memories. "Very well then. Fire it is. We will not be going so far as to create a Fireball, but starting with something a little smaller.....", he took a few steps back from Viviana.

He then faced her once more, and rose his right arm to chest level, palm facing the ceiling. Ashtallion centered and grounded himself, raising a shield and bending the weave to fit over his skin as he had done so countless times before.

"If you would follow suit....Viviana.", he smiled lightly as he said her name, dropping the formality as she so desired.

"If you would center, ground, and shield yourself as you have no doubt be taught how to do. When dealing with fire, you can just as easily harm yourself as you can others if you do not take the proper precautions. Only by placing an aetheric shield over yourself, almost like a second skin, can you ensure you are protected sufficiently from the condensed heat."

The Magus waited until she had successfully followed his instructions. "Now, a small tongue, no larger than a candleflame. Draw in the heat energy present around us.....for myself this is represented as threads of energy, I would take no more than a single thread and knot it to create a sliver of fire. You would be the better judge for yourself.....be aware of those voices however, you are in control, you must Master those voices."

"Remember...I will accept nothing less but complete control. Your Will is iron strong."

As he spoke, Asht drew in but a single thread of heat energy, sparkling a vibrant ruby red to his aetheric sight and wove the strand about itself, knotting it to form a flickering tongue of fire, just like that of a candle. It hovered just above the palm of his hand.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Viviana watched what he did closely, imitating his actions. The shield was nothing new, but fitting it so tightly around herself was. She imagined it sliding sensuously over her body, much as it might feel if he ...

No. You did not just think what you just thought. Yes, I did and I liked it. No, you did not, and you won't think it again. Concentrate on what you're doing.

It looked easy enough. She did not think that she would see the spell as a knot the way he did, but surprisingly enough, the pattern she needed to stitch was indeed a knot, the kind she often used as a flower's center or a small bud. You had to wrap it around the needle twice and then stick it back into the fabric.

Other patterns appeared to her as well ... beautiful and complicated stitchings that tempted her to choose them instead of the very simple one she needed. The magic is smart, she realized. While Magus Urdil hears voices calling to him, the magic knows that I would not listen to voices. It would be easy for me to ignore them.

Patterns, however, were hard to resist, whether lace or embroidery or magic. She always wanted to stitch them immediately so that she could see the finished product. It was difficult to resist patterns and she was naturally impulsive. The more complicated they were, the more she longed to stitch them. Yet she must not. If she didn't learn control, she would never master the magic; it would master her. She couldn't let that happen. Besides, it would please Magus Urdil if she succeeded. She really wanted to please him.

No, you don't! But she did. What was it about this golden adhiel that made her heart skip a beat every time she looked at him? It made no sense. Her more experienced friends often bemoaned the fact that you couldn't choose who you fell for ... it just happened. But why him? What was it about him that attracted her so?

The confused young girl sighed and turned her attention back to her assignment. She saw the strands of heat around her ... red graduating into orange and then into yellow. The highest concentration of them was in her own body. She was most definitely hot, but it was a strange sort of hot that she didn't really understand. Still, if she pulled the heat from herself then it should certainly make her cooler as well as completing the task which Magus Urdil had set for her. She had never tried taking energy from her own body before. Perhaps it was time that she learned.

Concentrating, she called a strand to her, but several others followed along. It was those other patterns tempting her again, wanting her to choose more strands so that she could stitch them instead. She willed them back into her body, but they wouldn't listen. Instead, more of them floated toward her ... so many that she felt cold and a little weak. Perhaps she shouldn't have tried taking the energy from herself, but she had started and now she felt compelled to finish.

You can do this! she told herself. She plucked one single strand from the many at her disposal. She tried to get the others to go back where they belonged, but they would not. It was if they were waiting for her to change her mind and use them anyway. She could feel them hovering in the back of her consciousness. Yet she would not let them break her, even though she was starting to feel a bit dizzy from the energy being drawn from her body. Why wouldn't it go back?

She took a deep breath to clear her mind an focused hard on the simple pattern that would produce yet a single sliver of flame. Hoping she would not falter this time, Viviana began to stitch.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The magus was so focused on his own flame, enjoying the tingle of warmth it spread through him, that when he focused on Viviana, the small smirk evaporated. Something wasn't quite right. His aethric vision concentrated on her could see the strands of heat being pulled from the girl’s own body. His stomach sank and the flame snuffed out. The experience he had previously had with manipulating your own life energies was not a pleasant one.

At that point, Viviana would feel colder than she had originally thought, but so intent on pleasing the golden sorcerer, she would perhaps pay it little attention. That was until pain lanced through her body sharply. It would not incapacitate her, but it would certainly get her attention.

Without so much as a word and no sound, the mirror eyed adhiel had closed the distance between them inhumanly swiftly. His hand snapped around her wrist, not harshly, but with a commanding firmness. "Stop what you are doing, Miss Kaleyis.", his voice but a whisper now, he pushed her hand aside, and mentally grasped the energy she had been attempting to manipulate. Golden eyes locked onto Viviana’s own violet hued orbs, and while there was no anger in them, there was an intensity that had caused fear in others before. His left hand rose before her chest, fingers splayed wide and with a firm but slow movement, he seemed to push down with his hand. Within his aetheric sight, he focused on the very life energies which made up Viviana. He had to correct the pathways, return the heat energy she had tried to draw from herself. For someone so untrained, it was far too dangerous. Even Ashtallion had not attempted to manipulate his own life energy after his first experience.

“Trust me.”, again, a lingering whisper, and so close was he that she would feel his breath on her, if she was able to concentrate past the pain. Though a confusing crisscross pattern of multiple energies, Ashtallion sought out those pathways that appeared disarrayed, having been recently pulled apart from Viviana’s Weave, and rewove the heat energy back into its proper place. The magus did not have as much experience in dealing with life energies on this level as he would have liked to. But with what little knowledge he did possess, he knew that everything had to be balance within the body. The energies did not respond well to being disturbed.

Such direct hold on her life energy would not doubt be felt by Viviana. Ashtallion was touching her on a level most other mortals would never experience…..and they should hope they never do, for it was far from a pleasing one. His right hand left her wrist and encircled her to reach the small of her back, supporting her should she grow so strained as to fall. Beads of perspiration started to form on his forehead, not from over exertion, but from anticipation. Yet he pushed such feelings from his mind for now and spilled his energy into resetting the pathways of the young woman’s heat network.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The simple pattern was proving difficult to stitch. Her concentration began to waver, but she stubbornly forced herself to continue. She had to this. She had to keep focused. She had to make him proud of her.

She lost the strand of heat she'd been stitching and called it to her again. Now, even more strands of heat separated from her body. She could see them hovering just outside of it, trembling slightly as if they were happy to be free of her, the needles gently swinging from their ends. Why wouldn't they go back where they belonged? Why would they not obey when she willed them back inside her?

The cold intensified, especially in her extremities, and she could feel it spreading upward. A tiny sliver of pain shot through her head and slowly spiraled downward, leaving unpleasant little prickles in its wake. What was happening to her? Whatever it was, she could work through it. It was important that she stay focused on her task. She had to please Magus Urdil. A little cold and a bit of pain wouldn't hurt her.

The stubborn young mage plucked up the single strand and started to stitch again. The other strands floated farther from her body. Her vision blurred. She felt like she was about to throw up.

Her icy wrist was suddenly seized in a firm but gentle grip. As Magus Urdil's hand suffused hers with its warmth, she realized just how cold she truly was. She was shivering all over. He told her to stop her stitching. Why? Didn't he want her to learn?

Confused, Viviana looked up at him, her violet eyes locking on his mesmerizing golden ones. Her concentration snapped and she lost the strand she had been stitching. It was then that the pain slammed into her full force, washing over her in wave after wave after wave. What had she done to herself? She was on fire, and yet she was so very cold. Taking deep breaths, she tried to calm herself, to slip into a meditative state where she couldn't feel the pain. Her agony lessened considerably, but not as much as she would have liked.

She saw him grasp those errant strands of heat. His hand was above her chest now, pushing them back towards her. Again, she felt the warmth of him, and she calmed a bit more. He was helping her, putting the energy back inside her. Why could he do it and not her? They had floated out so easily. Why couldn't they just float back in?

The pain increased the closer the heat energy came to her body. Her eyes widened in near panic. “Trust me,” he said, his warm breath wafting over her. He was so close to her now, right where she had wanted him earlier, just not in this way, never in this way. She held onto his gaze, as if it were her lifeline. Her eyes crossed. There were two of him. When had he grown a twin? The thought was funny. She wanted to laugh but it was hard enough just to breathe.

As the energy reentered her body, the pain became excruciating, even in her deep meditative state. Her insides seemed to twist, turn, explode. It felt as if he were inside her somehow, moving things around, and it hurt, oh how it hurt! How much did he hate her, to make her suffer so? “Trust me,” he had said, and so she must. Her breath came out in little gasps. Multi-colored spots danced in front of her eyes. She felt as if she were dying.

She felt his other hand move around her, to support her if she needed it. She leaned against him slightly, but refused to show more weakness than that, even though darkness now surrounded her vision, extending its dark tendrils out to her, beckoning her to let it take her away from the pain. It would be so easy just to succumb to it, but she wouldn't. She was stronger than that. She wouldn't be like that stupid Fancy who had fainted just because she put her dirty hand on the woman's skirt while she was begging for food. The street child she had been had kicked the dumb bitch hard in the side before disappearing down a crowded street. She was not like that stupid woman; she was tough, she was strong.

The anguished girl could see her pain reflected in his golden eyes. It had to stop soon. It must, or she would not be able to hold the darkness at bay. She saw, felt, heard, smelled, tasted nothing but pain. With every ounce of willpower she had, she moved deeper inside herself, trying to block out the agony that consumed her. It didn't work very well, but it at least made her torment bearable, if only barely. Yet it did give her much more insight into what was happening to her.

Now deep into a trance-like state, she was connected to her body on a level she had never experienced before. She could see the different energies crisscrossing throughout her body, knowing instinctively why they were there and what exactly they did. She could also see where the absent heat energy had once been, and understood why it wasn't as easy to put them back as it had been to take them out. The energy that made up her body was like a big, confusing puzzle; each piece ... or in this case ... strand, had only one place where it fit perfectly within the whole. Viviana was like a child staring at a puzzle that was too complicated for her, wanting to be able to put it together, but not knowing where to start.

She could also see what Magus Urdil was doing, although she did not understand it at all. She wondered how he knew where all the pieces went. Perhaps he didn't. It was her body; he was a stranger there and might not see the map of her energies as clearly as she did. Could she help him? She could certainly try.

Moving her arm sent more agony lancing through her, but she managed to cover his hand with her own very cold one. Reaching out through the Aether with her last bit of strength and trying to touch his mind, she opened herself up to him in a way she would never have thought possible, attempting to show him what she saw in the hope that it might guide him in some way.
Last edited by Viviana Kaleyis on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

There was certainly a feeling of anxiety welling within the golden sorcerer. Attempting to draw from his own energies was not something he had much experience in, and what little he did have, had ended with with the feeling that his skull had split in twain. But he did have knowledge of where Life energies were meant to run, what paths they were to follow within the body.

Ashtallion could feel the tension in the Aether as Viviana attempted to offer he own aid, the unfamiliar brushing at his mind caught his attention. Was she trying to connect with his mind via the Aether.....it registered too much like Mindcraft....and though the Art was known to him, he did not know how to converse in such a mental manner. He could't afford to have any potential annoyances, he needed to sort out Viviana's bodily energy swiftly incase she suffered any further damage.

With lances of pain now periodically, and more intensely, impaling her, Ashtallion had to admit to being impressed that she was capable of concentrating enough through the suffering to even attempt manipulating the aether. It showed a certain resolve he could relate to. Pushing that thought aside though, he had to finish his. The magus strengthened the barriers within his mind, his own resolve, and what would feel like a dismissive gesture, he aetherically brushed Viviana's attempted to reach into his mind. The young woman was obviously trying to help him, but her knowledge of how to correct life energies was an unknown to the wizard, and as sucha variable he could give the luxury of time to indulge.

With that thought, Ashtallion expanded his aetheric sense and literally engulfed Viviana in a cocoon of flooding power, hoping to dwarf her senses....almost make her blind to her own body so she could not interfere with his work. He felt a small measure of guilt about so abruptly dismissing her willingness to aid him, but he could not affordto wait. In his mind, he could see her entire life network, but strayed away from trying to view her Skien of Life. Which on such a level was difficult not to do. Instead, he brought all the knowledge of magical healing he possesed, having learned about where something, such as the heat energy, was meant to lie.....effectively, evenly throughout the body. Almost with a mental hand, he grasped the heat energy and guided it back into the girls body, smoothing it, unravelling the coils and fitting them back into her Life energy network...reconnecting it where it interacted with other energies.

He took his time, almost painstaking so, all the while the pain flared in Viviana, but slowly it receeded to an ache and eventually to a dull throb throughout her whole body.

Ashtallion concluded that he was then finished, and withdrew his aetheric sense from Viviana, allowing her once more 'see'. He still held her, firmly, but not unkindly. "How do you feel, Viviana?", despite the mirror like quality of his eyes, the was a darkness behind them that spoke of emotion, perhaps concern? The same thing that sounded in his voice if not his golden gaze.

He gave her space to talk first....once assured she was ok, then he would give her the lecture.

OOC: Anything too resumptuos, please let know and can see about altering if need be. :)

Return to “Triangle Islands”