[Sierra] Of Maps and Advice (Explorers Guild) - Jyg 30th MT

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's acid gaze slipped from Scarlet to Kytani as the feline warper began to advance on her. Her casual manner and use of Xenovia's pet name both made her wary and irritated her. Her unseen muscles tensed, but it would not be hard to sense the tension around her; she was already overly cautious due to that old man in the tavern...

It took enough self control to flood Valley Village for Xenovia to keep from recoiling as Kytani came uncomfortably close to her. Her ear lifted and fell slightly as the muscles gave a twitch at the feeling of Kytani's breath upon her skin.

Giving a slight nod and moving away from her kin as naturally as possible, Xenovia cleared her throat softly before turning her hooded head back toward the door. "If we have a physical direction then I would prefer it if we leave immediately. I have the feeling that our guide will be able to assist us further in finding the temple."

Trees, Xenovia thought almost desperately, feeling stifled once more in the room. Her eyes peered out from beneath the hem of her hood, surveying the pelts across the room. I need trees, and grass, and clean air.
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Xeonovia's reference to their 'guide' did not go unnoticed by Scarlet, who was so rudely interrupted. She closed her eyes in quiet thought as she weighed up their possibilities. If this new traveler was indeed a dreamweaver, why would he need to guide the Kanthrop to the Spear? Why not swoop in and take it himself? She was still mistrustful, despite Xenovia's insistence. She opened her mouth as if to speak further, voicing her own desire to consult the spirits before they ventured forth, but one glance to Jamail and his keen naivete in conjuction with the potential for 'unwanted attention' seemed to decide the matter for her.

"Sure." She breathed to the other kanthrop turning with a polite smile back to Jamail.

"It seems I was too late friend, we have found our own guide and time is pressing. Perhaps you and I could quickly address your knowledge of Sierran herbs whilst my friends press onwards?"

She turned with a sidelong glance to Xenovia.

"I am sure I can catch them up by nightfall providing they are not so skittish as to stab at every single shadow in the night."

Xenovia seemed to do nothing more than chase down the spear like some fleeing prey. Scarlet wanted to be more prepared, she wanted to know the land before she stalked its vales and uncertain paths. Here was an opportunity and she was loath to forsake it.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Muraco followed Xenovia and Calraen to the Explorers guild. All told, it was a short walk with insufficient time to ponder their position. It would be good to get away from the humans, it would be nice to become a more cohesive team with his fellow Kanthrop, and above all it would be fantastic to achieve the spear. Unfortunately, Muraco realized the first was the only that would be easily obtained. Xenovia was capable as was Scarlet, this they had proven surviving attack and making a trek back to the village. He and Kytani would need to prove their worth but not at the expense of safety. Muraco wanted Xenovia to trust him; he wanted them to see he was not all mouth and had what was required to ensure the wellbeing of their people. As they entered, Muraco could smell the young man’s unease. Was he...excited, aroused by...?

Looking to Kytani and Scarlet it wouldn’t be too hard to see why, the tall Kanthrop decided. He did not think that many women came to this place for a nice, enjoyable...jungle trek? Xenovia spoke to the others after giving him a glance. Muraco nodded and looked with raised eyebrows to their companions. He tried to not focus on the pelts and only on the conversation at hand. Behind Xenovia he was not quite close enough to pluck the words spoken into her ear by Kytani. It seemed they were gathering information and honestly Muraco saw this as a good thing. Scarlet proposed staying behind to talk to the man from the guild. The wolf frowned slightly, not sure if splitting the group until nightfall was a good idea in any respect and for herbs? Muraco smelled for Scarlet’s scent more closely, it was one that he knew as well as his own. He had smelled the anxiousness rolling from the boy; would he be able to smell anything on Scarlet? Groups of two would be a better idea in an unknown forest, but this was his pack mentality manifesting itself.

"Scarlet, would it not be better for us to stay at least two to a group? If this were the forests around our home I would not worry but..." said Muraco thoughtfully but far from assuming he would go with her he continued, "well it would be up to you. I would make hardly a peep, you would barely know I was there. An extra pair of eyes in the dark might help."

Muraco was practicing the novel notion of thinking before speaking; it was new, a bit intimidating, and tiring. With this said, he looked to Xenovia for her thoughts. With things that had happened, being nearly laid flat by Calraen and the squabble she and Kytani had engaged in it may not be the bird kanthrop’s wish to be left with only them. It may not be Xenovia's wish for the group to split at all, and the wolf Kanthrop knew Scarlet would not necessarily like being told what to do. From their reaction, he would decide his next step.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Feline and female intuitions met and made love briefly in the young kit's mind as she silently chewed upon a thick portion of tension in the air between she and Xenovia. Her use of the pet name had been intentional - a subtle sign to the other woman that she was trying to speak to her Kanthrop to Kanthrop - pack mate to pack mate, but Xenovia's ever-present attitude made Kytani unsure if Xenovia had picked up on that, much less listened with the way the bird warper broke contact as quickly as Kanthroply possible.

Three deep breaths quietly hissed through slowly flaring nostrils as the young lady merely studied Xenovia for a few flickers, her eyes panning over the small crowd for just a flicker longer, including Muraco who seemed to be in a 'lapdog' frame of mind for the time. Kytani could feel the fur on the back of her neck rising even though - at present - it was still made up of 'human' hair. From the time that she had stepped out onto the docks, she had felt a sense of foreboding and that sense was growing stronger by the flicker.

"No...", she silently mouthed with her head turned to where only Muraco could see, stepping past him and toward the door with purpose. How he took the message was up to him, but her mind was already calculating the possibility of going it alone with just she and the jungle to guide her - getting taken out by the indigenous dangers of Sierra itself seemed - to Kytani - a far less cruel fate than being offered up as a sacrifice to those same forces on behalf of Xenovia's foolish ego and pride.

If Xenovia or the Dreamweaver - in fact, if anyone within the party - expected her to stay in the wake of continued snubbing by their appointed leader, Kytani felt that she and Xenovia would have to work at leaving the chip on the bird-warper's shoulder behind. If no-one spoke or moved in that figurative diection, Kytani's plan was to hit the door and just keep on walking.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Jamail stood among the obvious turmoil with a rather stumped expression on his face. Usually the people he met were determined explorers and united in their common goals. Most of these goals pertained finding treasure of sorts.

This group however was very different from anyone he had ever met. Not only due to their apparent lack of direction and leadership, but also because their goal didn't seem at all based on greed or other such trivial human flaws. He knew greed when he saw it, and these people seemed to be lacking it entirely. A good thing maybe, but greed was also a powerful motivator in getting teams in shape. Especially if large amounts of treasure were involved.

To him, treasure was not important. He valued knowledge. And whatever these people sought, it did not involve massive amounts of treasure. So it must be knowledge. And this intruiged him to no end.

Not to mention the fact that some of these women were HOT!

"If I might make a suggestion?" He ventured carefully. "I would be very happy to accompany you all on the start of your journey. I must be back here tomorrow ofcourse, but I know my way in these parts quite well and like I said before; within the confines of the jungle it might be possible for me to tell you more of the spirits you seek and the direction you might travel." It was a bold move for the meek scholar, interfering in what was almost literally a cat-fight. But these people sought something on this island that he had no clue about. And Aurelius be damned if he let a chance at learning something new pass him by.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Though the rest of her face was largely unseen, Xenovia's dark lips could be seen turning downward at Scarlet's suggestion of staying behind. This is not an individual quest, we can't all go our separate ways and see who finds it first.. Yet Muraco seemed ready to jump onto that bandwagon, offering to stay behind as well. Her frown became a scowl.

Had she known just how the other two females in the group were thinking of her, Xenovia might have gone mad with rage. At every turn they thought ill of her, criticizing each word she said and how she said it, inwardly sniffing at her poor efforts to lead. Yes, they were poor, but she was trying her best, despite the fact that she could sense their discomfort and was all too aware of the fact that their group was just barely staying together. Her ego, her pride had very little to do with her recent actions. She had set her own feelings aside in an effort to pull the group together, and it had blown up in her face. It was all she could do to keep from leaving all of them herself.

I could move faster on my own. Yes, there was no doubt about that. And likely, that thought had crossed the minds of the others as well. Perhaps even Muraco. It would be easy to let them all disband and hope for the best. This isn't about you, though, she chided herself. This isn't about any one person.

As Kytani turned to exit the establishment and Jamail mentioned something about going with them, Xenovia's desperation grew. She wanted to cry, but that was not an option, so she became angry. Her muscles shook, her eyes darted from face to turned back, and a question bubbled up inside of her as suddenly as a bursting geyser.

"What the fuck do you want from me?!"

It was too late to take it back, and Xenovia pulled back her hood without caring, revealing her sharp features and deathly pale skin. Her golden eyes were wide. Demanding. Yet even in the face of her rage and frustration, the bird warper did her best to keep the speech ambiguous, so that the non-Kanthrop present would not be much the wiser to their mission.

"Is this how it will be the whole time? Any time I fuck up you are just going to walk away or think even less of me?? Has it even occurred to you that just maybe I might be a little bit uncomfortable? Did any of you even notice me before I found the scroll? Did we ever speak? I am trying. I want nothing more than to walk out that door too, Kytani, but I don't. Why? Because this isn't about me. This isn't about any one of us. Am I the only one who remembers that? I didn't exactly ask for this job, I'm sure all of you were there. I didn't raise my hand, I didn't make a speech. But I did choose the three of you over all of the others, because I thought that maybe we could find a way to work together as a team. Are you so eager to find fault with everything I do? If this keeps up, all of us will die, and don't think I am just talking about the four of us. I know I am not a great leader, but I am the leader. I was chosen, whether or not I like it, and whether or not you like it. If you can't follow me, if you can't accept that I'm not going to be as wise as a Kanthan at all times, then you need to go back home and explain to everyone else why you couldn't look past your nose long enough to walk through the fucking jungle."

Well, that was that. She had done something she would rather have avoided doing forever: talking about herself, how she felt. She had never been in a situation where she actually needed to tell someone how she was feeling. She wasn't exactly pleased that she had just told them their actions were effecting her. Xenovia was supposed to be the untouchable one, the one who didn't give a shit about anyone else. Well, usually that's true. Not really sure what to expect, Xenovia simply waited for the rebuttal. No doubt one or more of them would want to scream at her, and if necessary she would take it. This isn't about me, she repeated to herself in a slow mantra, trying to smooth down the unseen ruffled feathers of her Inner Animal. This isn't about me.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scar inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. So many things had happened at once, so many things she would prevent or undo. Her fists balled briefly, nails so dark and hard as to be nearly claws pricking the skin of her palms. She felt Xenovia's words wash past her like a flash flood, drowning out all previous thought or intent - was she to extinguish each one of them with her ego? For the moment Scarlet could see little more than a tantrum, an upset child lashing out to make herself heard. Her eyes opened and fixed themselves on Xenovia's own scowling blaze. Rage, fear, passion her senses were deep, gathering Xenovia's emotions from the air itself as if her words were not porter enough.

Without breaking her gaze from Xenovia, Scarlet spoke quietly for each to hear in turn. It was a strange thing, that the youngest of these travelers would speak first and so softly in the wake of near fury. Still, speak she did - for all to hear, raising her hand to silence any that would speak over her.

"Kytani, wait. Please, one moment."

"Muraco, I thank you. Truely, it brings comfort to my heart that you would stay by my side, but it is not my intention to split the group."

She raised her voice that others might hear, her eyes still locked on their leader.

"These are strange lands to me, to us all, and these times are stranger still. I hoped to learn this jungle's tale before I trod it's secret tracks. The land of our fathers we know better than our own skins - here I do not know what lies over the next vale and that scares me. I understand your haste Kytani, I do, and whilst tracking you through the undergrowth would be an amusing afternoon, I fear the time for such games is behind us."

A smile flashed across her face but vanished as she walked slowly towards Xenovia, holding her gaze if she would give it.

"And you, chosen leader." As she spoke her voice seemed harder, more certain. It was as though each word was measured, judged and Scarlet spoke each one with vindication.

"I will follow you, wherever you lead, to whatever end." She moved swiftly, drawing her obsidian dagger across her palm and extending bloodied hand and bloodied dagger hilt-first to the bird-warper. "I give you my oath if you would have me. Until it is done."
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

A loud clapping sound came from the doorway. In it stood Calraen, who had entered without anyone facing away from the door even remotely noticing. He stood leaning against the edge of the door and was now clapping his gloved hands together, like applause. Though the reason for it was not meant in the slightest.

"About fucking time..."

He stepped away from the door and walked closer to the small group which stood in front of a completely confuddled Jamail.

"That is the first sensible thing I've heard anyone say all fucking day today." He faced Xenovia. "You are very right this isn't about you." It was clear Calraen had picked up on some measure of her thoughts, since she hadn't spoken them out loud. "As for the rest of you..." He turned to face the others. Beneath his dark cowl his eyes glowed. "You should know when it's time to be obstinate little brats and when it's time to listen to your fucking pack leader. While you little bitches are standing here arguing with Xenovia, Vanquisher has already been taken and is gods know where and Destiny might also be in jeopardy..." He glanced sideways at Jamail.

"If you think the human is useful, bring him. But I swear to my mother, if you children ever make me come inside one of their buildings again, I will slit all of your throats and find my sister myself, with or without the Bane. If you can't take the heat, go back to Ursa and cower like the pups you are proving to be. We are burning daylight."

With that he drew two blades from beneath his cloak. Or rather, he moved rather swiftly which resulted in them appearing in his hands. He flicked them over, grips to Xenovia. "You're the alpha now, so do your thing."
Last edited by Calraen on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Flesh upon flesh made a loud slap as Kytani’s right hand rose and her open palm impacted her forehead, the kit’s body stilled for a half burn as Xenovia had her tantrum, Scarlet wounded herself as sacrifice to Xenovia’s ego, and Calraen applauded it all – all within view and earshot of two outsiders. “Alpha only happens when one establishes dominance and proves…proves that they are the most fit to lead the pack. No animal I have ever seen willingly follows the weakest in the herd and Xenovia…” Kytani said with her back still toward the group, turning to face the others only on the last word.

“...that right there was pretty fucking weak... A leader who earns the mistrust and scorn of those she is supposed to be leading each and every time she opens her mouth isn’t going to find herself leading shit but a trail of bodies. Birds are Loners, bitch – listen to we packers once in a while and you might just figure out what you’re doing wrong. Yes, you were ‘chosen’ as our leader and I keep hoping that it was a wise choice, but this is twice in under a mark that you have put clan business out on display for all to see and your elderly lapdog here…” she said, waving her hand at Calrean without thought toward his threats. “…has applauded you for it. I mean….shit…it is little wonder why our numbers get lower with every yahren, if you two are the best that we can hope to become???”

“And you…” she continued, looking directly at Calrean. “Dreamweaver is right… You seem to live only in a dream… I’ve learned more useful and sensible things from Culwago in five burns than I have learned from you since you arrived. No, I am not oblivious to who or what you are, but I can certainly see why your numbers are even smaller than ours. If you want her…” Kytani spat, pointing at Xenovia “…to lead, shut the fuck up, step back, and let her do so unaided…a leader must be able to do so, right? If you want to play ‘all knowing’, tell her to shut the fuck up and you step up.”

Kytani’s mouth felt alien to her as what she swore was her Inner Animal spoke through her.

“Make a choice either way, or this ‘mere kit’ may very well die today showing the both of you how the fuck an alpha is established in the real jungle.”

She had no real desire to be the leader, but she was already tired of running the same circles over and over as her pose shifted to one of feline defiance and readiness to back up her words.
Last edited by Kytani Hajgomb on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia did not hesitate. Taking the blade from Scarlet, she drew it across her left hand and their bloodied palms met, even as Calraen began to clap. She turned, suddenly, somewhat surprised to see him standing there, saying nothing as he added his own two cents to her outburst, returning Scarlet's blade to her as she listened. Kytani's response, however, was the one Xenovia had been expecting, though she'd hoped it would be otherwise. The stupid, immature, unwarped bitch didn't even know how to reconcile when the cards were laid out right in front of her. Xenovia stared flatly at Kytani until she was done, then took the blades from Calraen. She had never wielded a blade before, and she tested their weight in her hands before closing her eyes. A moment's breath was given for her to calm herself, and then she spoke, her eyes opening to lock onto Kytani's.

"I said nothing to make these foreigners any the wiser to our goals. If you had been focusing on my words rather than trying to find another reason to scorn me, you might have noticed that. Instead, you put all of your effort into thinking the worst. 'We packers?' Listen to yourself. You are a fucking fool. Birds are loners because 'packers' like you can't listen to anyone but yourselves. I'm unfamiliar, I don't do everything just the way you want me to so you would rather walk away and sulk about it. Very well then. I don't see you adding anything useful to this group. Muraco aided me with supplies and Scarlet spoke with this human about the jungle while you stood in the corner and fumed about how much injustice was being done to you. You are a waste of time, Kytani, and now you want to cause fighting amongst the group? Weren't you just bitching earlier because of what happened at the docks? But it's okay for you to start real fights? You think you are some great hunter, but nothing you have done has aided us in any way. All of Ursa is in danger and you're wasting more time with another bitch fit. I want to go find the spear, and you want to fight about who's right. I may not be the best leader, but I think you just made it quite clear who is the weakest in the group. No one here is going to follow you. Go back to Ursa, little kitten. You are no longer a part of this pack."

Xenovia's shoulders squared as her fingers tightened around the hilts of the blades. If there was to be a fight, Kytani would have to make the first move. Anger was Xenovia's forte, but she wasn't so childish as to start a fight with a pack mate over something as petty as this. She was sick of the games, sick of dancing around their feelings, sick of caring what they would think of her decisions. She was the fucking leader, and she always had been. Obviously, trying to make sure everyone got along wasn't going to work. Now it was time to make sure everyone did their part, and Kytani had done nothing but create dissent throughout the entire ordeal. Bringing you was a mistake, and I'll not waste my time on an obstinate little bitch.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Erh...excuse me..."

Jamail was three feet away from running out through the back door. Whatever these people were up to, they meant trouble and from the look of things; they were going to be duking it out in his guild hall any flicker now.

"Not to be a bother or anything...but...is she supposed to do that?" he pointed at Kytani, who, aside from foaming at the mouth was also displaying a vivid array of all sorts of colors ranging between blue and silver rushing along her skin, leeching from her eyes and mouth and curling around her body all the way from her head down to her toes. Now Jamail had seen some odd things what with the University showing up. And there had been strange stories coming from the jungle, but this was too weird for him. He made sure to not go into any jungles with these people...ever...

Kytani's Inner Animal in the meantime was raging inside her, she could feel it's claws scraping their way out through her skin. Immense agonizing pain overtook her senses as the cat within roared and vied for dominance over her human form.

She was warping.

In the Explorer's Guild.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Well, she didn't get quite that far. Xenovia was vehemently chewing Kytani out, so she didn't notice at first that her skin was beginning to turn a bit blue. "No one here is going to follow you. Go back..to..."

"Erh...excuse me..."

No. Streaks of silver danced along Kytani's face, spilling from her eyes and mouth. Now? Really? This is getting ridiculous.

"Not to be a bother or anything...but...is she supposed to do that?"

Fuckfuckfuckfuck! There was no time to think. Xenovia's lips barely moved, her soft words just loud enough for Muraco to hear. "Get the dwarf. I don't care how."

There was no sign on which to move, only a sudden explosion of energy as Xenovia lunged at Jamail. It took less than a flicker to close enough distance between them for her to duck slightly and sweep her right leg out to kick his feet out from under him. Regardless of which way he fell, face up or face down, she would be upon him in an instant, her knees pinning his arms down as she pressed the edge of her blade against the flesh of his neck. "Move and I'll kill you," she breathed huskily, looking up to gauge Muraco's success before turning her gaze to the others.

"Scarlet, help Kytani. Calraen, stand watch outside. Try to be discreet, we may be here a while."
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

"For once it is you all that talk too much," said Muraco simply. He shook his head at the irony of it all. Kytani was preaching pack mentality while almost opposing what was emerging as a fellowship. While at the same time Xenovia was all but telling Kytani to go home. They were both impossible...but he believed in them both. Believed in their group and it was this ‘but’ that gave him all that he needed. However there was not much time for thought. In fact there was not much time for anything but a flicker to consider what was happening to Kytani. She was warping, in this town with too many humans around. Every curse he knew ran through his mind then.

He looked to Jamail and Baylan as Xenovia told him to move. Her words and his action were near simultaneous as he made for the aspiring smith and intended to wrap arms around the small man. The dwarf was small and could potentially be fast. Muraco did not want to harm him but should the tiny man show signs of resisting, the wolf warper would not hesitate to strike him. Otherwise, the white haired hunter sought to grab hold of him and detain him.

"Do not move and I will not harm you," said Muraco in whatever ear was closest. After the initial mayhem was done, the kanthrop could determine who could be released and who would need more persuasion to stay still.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scar barely nodded at the command, turning smoothly towards Kytani before even she herself realised what was happening. In one fluid motion the bloody dagger spun in her hand and she cut the thong that secured the sheath to her famirl. Dropping the blade, she held Kytani's head still and forced the leather into her screaming maw.

"Bite it." She instructed, stepping into the nexus of shimmering light and sweeping Kytani away from the door and the prying eyes of the locals. She tried her best to block out the outside world, closing windows, drawing sashes and throwing a pelt over Kyanti's shuddering form to try and contain some of the nimbus that now surrounded her friend. She glanced around the room, golden eyes searching for any other soul that might alert the town. Shit, she thought, biting her lip this is going wrong in a big way. She glanced from Xen to Muraco, at least this could be contained perhaps.

Her eyes fell at last onto Kytani as she walked over, not so cold or so harsh but now empathic. Concern filled her eyes and helplessness filled her heart, there was nothing to be done but wait this torture out. What six months ago would have been a joyous occasion was now a moment of fear and anxiety. Was this the fate of all her people? To unify their spirits in desperation? She tentitavely reached out with one hand to try and assure and sooth Kytani, hoping she did not lash out.
Last edited by Scarlet on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

"I said nothing to make these foreigners any the wiser to our goals. If you had been focusing on my words rather than trying to find another reason to scorn me, you might have noticed that. Instead, you put all of your effort into thinking the worst. 'We packers?' Listen to yourself. You are a fucking fool.”

Blood. Anger. Her common sense wanted to turn her bodily around and walk out – to partially give the raving bird-bitch her alpha status by default just to shut her the nether up. Her feet, however, had other plans and she could feel each word as a lash against her skin, as if the senior Kanthrop had found some mystical avail way to wound only with wind. Xenovia’s scent was strong in the air, it seemed, coupled with the smells of the others, the odor of long-passed death from the hides, and the fresh rivulets of blood smeared upon recently ravaged flesh.

”Birds are loners because 'packers' like you can't listen to anyone but yourselves. I'm unfamiliar, I don't do everything just the way you want me to so you would rather walk away and sulk about it. Very well then. I don't see you adding anything useful to this group. Muraco aided me with supplies and Scarlet spoke with this human about the jungle while you stood in the corner and fumed about how much injustice was being done to you.”

Blood. Anger. Blood. Resentment. “I was helping! You weren’t here!! You’re fucking guessing!!! YOU…WERE…NOT…HERE!!!!” The words were hot and loud in both her mind and ears, but the young kit was unaware that the rest only heard them as gurgles and growls. Nor was she aware of the changes overcoming her – Xenovia’s crushing words and attitude were translating in her mind as physical pain for all she knew, but she certainly knew that her self-restraint seemed to be playing a role, as she hunkered down a bit further in both pain and fury, her muscles feeling like they were coiling beyond belief and readying themselves for one fateful leap toward – and hopefully beyond – that wicked little knife that the Dreamweaver had passed Xenovia.

”You are a waste of time, Kytani, and now you want to cause fighting amongst the group? Weren't you just bitching earlier because of what happened at the docks? But it's okay for you to start real fights? You think you are some great hunter, but nothing you have done has aided us in any way.”

Blood. Anger. Blood. Resentment. Blood. Betrayal. Her vision was swimming at the edges, but shockingly clear at the center. “Lies…all you do is lie…”, Kytani gurgled incoherently, hot tears ripping from eye sockets which ached with the subtle shift of bone. “Low profile... Bad feeling..." We haven’t been here long enough to… Kytani drew her elbows in toward her chest, her fists lightly kissing beneath her chin and her heart pounding within the confines of its skeletal cage, her eyes still burning toward Xenovia. Her throat felt tight…constricted… She was choking.

”All of Ursa is in danger and you're wasting more time with another bitch fit. I want to go find the spear, and you want to fight about who's right. I may not be the best leader, but I think you just made it quite clear who is the weakest in the group. No one here is going to follow you. Go back to…”

Blood. Anger. Blood. Resentment. Blood. Betrayal. Blood. Kill! If anything further was said by the bird-warper, its sound was lost to Kytani even if its meaning was not, the kit’s eyes narrowing as the sounds of what seemed to be a pride of panthers howled discordantly in her ears. The volume was deafening to her, her own yowls of pain joining the syncopated chorus as her knees joined the floorboards of the Explorer’s Guild with less-than-feline grace. She felt as if she were being tossed and turned a thousand different ways, struck with spears from a million different hands, and that the very sun itself had chosen that single flicker in time to peer in through the window with all of the hatred that it could muster and burn her inexperienced, headstrong little ass ALIVE.

She thought no more about the dagger. About Xenovia. About Muraco. Or Scarlet. Or the outsiders. Or even the Dreamweaver. She couldn’t focus on thoughts of Ursa, the Kanthan of the Goldenback, or of their quest. She had tried a thousand times before to imagine what it would feel like to warp and – now that it was happening to her – the human part of her brain completely forgot all that it had ever imagined and neither human nor animal could find the thought or breath to whisper anything resembling rational thought in her mind.

Within flickers, she could not even tell if she were alive or dead – merely trapped in a prison of darkness, clawing her way free. She would, if touched, lash out, but pain’s power of robbing the muscles of all power would certainly counter any strength that her rage gave and her natural reflex to curl into a protective ball would most likely negate such trivial things as reach, accuracy, and aim.

Somewhere within her subconscious, a deer stared with wide, silent eyes as ‘Kytani’ stopped struggling and let her body finish collapsing to the floor.

Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Post by Baylan Anvilhammer »

Feeling more than a little out of place in light of the added company, Baylan watched the proceedings with only mild curiosity. He knew very little of the strange people who shared the interior of the explorers guild with him and as such was fairly uninterested in their conversation and tensions. It is in most peoples nature, however, to watch a fight. The argument between Xenovia and Kytani was quite telling of strong emotions between the travelers. As their voices raised and tempers began to rage, Baylan began to pay more attention to the couple.

At first the dwarf thought that he was simply seeing things. A small change in hue of Kytani's skin tone must have been his imagination. The dwarf blinked hard and looked suspiciously towards the pitcher of water from which he had just sated his thirst. Upon hearing Jamail's comment, the dwarf knew he was not alone.

For the little man who saw his world as a series of planned events, the spectacle was terrifying. He watched everything. From the fresh white foam seeping from the woman's jaws to her total collapse. He didn't have time to think or process anything. The dwarf was frozen in place.

Rough hands slapped onto him as Muraco moved to detain him. Baylan could not resist. He had little choice. The sight before him had left him positively stunned.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

Calraen noticed the shift in Kytani before the magick started taking her over. Her anger was feeding the animal within. A sensation he had witnessed often. It filled him with sadness that recently more and more of his Kanthrop warped under the pressure of anger or desperation rather than a peaceful attunement to their inner spirit. The recent events on his mother's island had turned them from predator into prey, something that rubbed off on all of them.

Including him.

As her aura started to seep out into the Tether, the colors of the draconic magick that fed the transformation flowing around her, he also noticed the auras of the others changing dramatically. A change that was quickly followed by a change in atmosphere aswell as words. The bickering group of kit transformed into a well oiled combat machine in mere flickers as Xenovia barked her orders and everyone moved in apparent unison to comply.

Jamail and Baylan were quickly detained. The poor human was afraid for his life as Xenovia threw herself on top of him. Baylan seemed stunned by what he was seeing. As such Muraco quickly had him under control aswell. Scarlet had a harder time with Kytani who, by now, was convulsing on the floor in pain as the magick started to rearrange her bone structure for the first time in her life. The cover turned out to be a good idea as it kept her limbs in check somewhat, but still it took quite some strength to keep her from hurting herself as she trashed around on the floor.

All Calraen did was nod as Xenovia ordered him to stand outside. There had been a change in the group when urgency struck. A change that could not have come at both a better and a worse time. Had it not come, the group would likely have broken up in a fight right there. But with it's arrival they were now faced with an entirely different problem.

He stepped outside, closing the door firmly behind him. Out in the streets some people looked at the tall dark figure which took up position by the door, wondering what all the fuss coming from inside was about. A stern look persuaded most of them to move right along.

There were still some eyes on him though. Eyes which needed to know.
Last edited by Calraen on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It didn't occur to Xenovia to feel pleased with herself when the group moved without hesitation. She didn't think to admire how quickly they got the situation under as much control as possible. Though she was terribly grateful for the way Muraco and Scarlet moved at her command without hesitation, she was more focused on the matter at hand. Of course they had listened; it was imperative. For a split second, however, she did wonder...

Would Kytani have listened to me?

If things weren't straightened out between the two of them, there would be constant tension and fear throughout the rest of the ordeal. If she couldn't rely on Kytani, they'd all be fucked. But how could things be fixed if Kytani was so eager to challenge her ability to lead? How, if Xenovia was expected to get things right the first time?

No time for that.

"We need to blindfold them," Xenovia said to Muraco, softly despite Kytani's yelling. The reason was obvious, and she didn't explain further. "Scarlet, she's being far too loud." Her attention returned to Jamail. "Don't think you won't die just as fast if you move. I don't need a blade to kill you." Her knees remained pressed firmly into the skinny human's arms as the cold metal of her blade left his neck and cut a long strip of cloth from the bottom of her too-large shirt. Wrapping it securely around his head and tying it in the back, she used the same blade to catch the corner of her pack, which was lying nearby. Then fetching the rope from it, she stood and dragged Jamail to his feet, ere shoving him roughly into a chair and beginning to tie him down. Struggle, some dark part of her dared him. Go on. Give me an excuse to kill you.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Xenovia may have wished for Jamail to make a move, but he didn't. He was many things. He was an adept student of the arts. A scholar and most of all an answer-seeker. The only thing he was not was a fighter, and these people seemed to be the exact opposite of that. He was not bent on risking his life for these people, nor was he going to do anything to get his throat slashed by the daggers the woman on top of him held. As she blindfolded him and placed him into a chair he did nothing to trigger offense. He did not try to run, he did not struggle or fight. Logic dictated that he would live longest if he made sure he was no problem at all.

Or so he hoped.

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scar glanced at her charge - beginning to look less like the young girl she had known for near 12 years or more and not yet the predator that walked within her soul. The warping was a grotesque thing to witness, even for one who had already traveled that road. Scarlet glanced away as Kytani's bones cracked under the stress of draconic magics, had she twisted and cavorted like this? With strange acuity, Scarlet realised she had not warped more than a handful of times since the first. Xen had been performing her warps religiously and she was far closer to the effortless shifts between forms than Scarlet was, Scar would probably shift scarcely faster than Kytani though no-doubt the pain would be far less.

"Scarlet, she's being far too loud."

Helplessly Scarlet glanced around, wondering if there was any point in trying to gag a mouth that would quickly be able to sever her arm. No. Not really. She slowly stood as Kytani turned more bestial than girl - it might take her some time to regain control of her mind after all and Scar did not want to be inside chomping distance when that happened. Biting her lip she laid one hand on a near-bye chair and prepared to club her friend if the beast stood rather than the girl. These four walls would no doubt cause no small panic in her feral heart and conscience might not easily distinguish friend from foe.

Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

To say that Kytani’s mind was racing would be both correct and false – correct in the sense that it was going a mile a minute and false in the sense that it was doing all of this ‘running about’ on a metaphorical hamster wheel, thinking that it was going places that it really wasn’t. Conscious, cognitive thought was passed out on the sofa of her mind while mindless, irrational thought masturbated feverishly in the corner thanks to the assault of heightened senses.

What she could see, she could not believe although it was what she had always longed for. The misshapen bones. The darkening, furring skin. The elongating fingernails. The bulk of feline muscle shifting into place as her hands slowly became paws. Her eyes were transfixed, very cat-like, upon her right index finger as she watched hair sprout and elongate in time-lapse.

What she could hear damn near turned her stomach as she could not tell if she was actually hearing the sounds or merely imagining them. The discordant panther cries still rang in her ears, but she could also (she thought) make out the wet pop of bones and joints snapping and fusing…the moist rip of muscle… It sounded as if someone was butchering a cow with a rock.

Her feline nose was definitely coming into play as she could both smell and taste the hot sweat which beaded off of her skin. If she had been sweltering when she had shown Jamail and Baylan hear beauty before, she was positively roasting and basting in her own juices as she showed them her beast. An attempt to shake off the sweat showed her that someone had wrapped her in even more fur although the Earth Mother was providing her with a coat which would most likely be more than adequate.

About the only comfort through it all was one small part of her sense of touch – while most of her body felt like it was being lightly and lovingly caressed by a pack of half-giants who thought her innards should be liquefied to work properly, she could feel Scarlet’s touch here and there and that one small act of Kanthropity really made a difference in the kit’s panic and noise as she gritted her teeth and gave her panther side a push like a virgin mother trying to help her own body give birth for the first time.

Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Baylan did not struggle; he did not in fact do much of anything at all as Muraco clutched him. The wolf kanthrop was the mental antithesis to Xenovia. She was ready to color the floor with Jamail’s blood and inwardly glad that he did not end up having to harm the small dwarf. Killing a deer was one thing, fighting Cryers another and slitting the throat of a small, relatively defenseless man was apart from all of these. During Baylan’s inaction, Muraco took this time to look about the room for a bit of rope, if none could be seen he would tear strips from his tunic and bind the aspiring smith’s hands. After this he would use a bit of cloth to cover his eyes. The white haired kanthrop hoped Baylan wasn’t foolish and looking for death. Even if he got away from Muraco’s grasp, Scarlet would easily catch him and it was likely that he did not want to get close enough to Kytani to see what she would do.

Kytani had warped and now he was all alone. A wolf wanting to run its way out of his skin and now, he was the only kit. It was a bitter pill to swallow and the fact that no one was making him do so made it all the more difficult. Trying to curtail his train of thought he thought instead of how quickly he had obeyed Xen’s command how they had all obeyed. For a flicker, as quickly as it had come and gone, they were a team. Would it stay that way? Or would it go back to bickering once Kytani regained her senses? They had almost broken, shattered here on a shore far from their home. Muraco silently wished that this ordeal would temper them like a blades these humans used to cut the jungle.

"Fuck," muttered Muraco under his breath and once more in his head. He looked up at Scarlet, watched Kytani for a burn or two both jealous of her warp and mildly intimidated by the pain she seemed to be in.

"So, now we wait?" asked Muraco, not needing an answer but half hoping for one.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

It took a good fifteen burns for Kytani to complete the shift. As the transition passed the most critical stages, her writhing subsided somewhat, as did the glow of silver and blue that surrounded her throughout most of the ordeal. Scarlet at some point could easily let her lie, as the shape of the large cat took form on the floor underneath her.

Jamail and Baylan at that point only heard the rest return to the guild. Where Kytani had been thrashing about and screaming her lungs out for part of the shift at least, now all was silent. The only sounds remaining being the voices of the Kanthrop and Kytani's heavy breathing as she awoke to find a whole new form ready for her.

Her eyes showed her the image the others had crafted. The two outlanders held firmly in their chairs, gagged and blindfolded as need be. The kanthrop around her keeping them in check, Muraco being the last to speak as she came to her senses and found herself surrounded by those she had detested only burns before for Xenovia's mannerisms and the ideas the others apparently had about them and her.

The others noticed the shift had completed when the glow had subsided entirely and Kytani opened her eyes upon a whole new perspective.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Jamail behaved himself impeccably. Some part of Xenovia was grateful, but another part was disappointed. Had she been of the right mind at the moment, she might wonder at herself. She had become so angry as of late; defending herself inwardly and keeping her mouth (mostly) shut outwardly was beginning to wear on her, and her frustration escaped in the form of aggression. But it was not her aggression she was focusing on right now.

Jamail heard no sigh of relief from Xenovia when the screaming and growling stopped and silence returned to the Explorer's Guild. Unlike Scarlet and Kytani, Xenovia had been quite unconscious during her first warp. A Cryer had somehow attacked her Inner Animal itself, and Xenovia had fallen into her...soul? Mind? Spirit? She didn't rightly know. But her first warp had been easy and beautiful. It had felt like she imagined Oni's warps felt: natural, fast, painless. The next morning she'd awoken as a bird, and had been a bit shocked at the pain of returning to her humanoid form. But the first time was what she always thought of when she warped. The warm embrace of coming home to the spirit inside her.

Kytani's looked even worse than Scarlet's had. Perhaps it was because the panther warper had achieved her warp through pure rage that the ordeal was more painful, but that wasn't what Xenovia was thinking of. She was focused more on the rage.

Concern flickered through her mind as she watched Kytani's yellow-green eyes open upon a new world. Xenovia recalled how very different everything looked in her osprey form -- sharper, keener. Kytani was suddenly different. Faster, probably. Deadlier. Would she use this as an opportunity to teach Xenovia a lesson? The bird warper wanted to believe that Kytani was more level-headed than that, but she had proven to not be very level-headed at all. In her determination that she was in the right and Xenovia always in the wrong, Kytani had made it quite clear that coherent thought was unlikely.

Calm, Xenovia told herself, willing her heartbeat to keep its pace, only slightly accelerated from the effort of incapacitating Jamail. She was suddenly grateful for the twin blades Calraen had given to her -- the blades which had remained in her hands throughout the ordeal. Xenovia was inexperienced with such things, but they were as sharp as Kytani's claws.

"Congratulations, Kytani," Xenovia said softly, still standing with Jamail between them. "You're not a kit any more."
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani lifted her large furry head from its trembling point on the floor and looked around with her new senses and way of thinking, her legs a bit shaky as she rose to her feet and shrugged off the additional furs. The others were all around her, a team at last - from the looks of it - the two interlopers contained with bindings and blindfolds. Her eyes looked back at Xenovia, retraining upon the irritating thorn in her paw which had led her to such a violent change.

Xenovia Canace wrote:"Congratulations, Kytani, You're not a kit any more."

Kytani did what she was often best at, watching and listening as Xenovia spoke. The panther could detect no sarcasm...no patronising tones...simply a statement of fact. One fact spoken while the rest remained silently lingering.

They were a team, save for her.

Kytani looked over to Scarlet and gave a small nod of her head in gratitude, her feline throat nowhere near the point of being able to emit anything other than purrs or roars. Her eyes and feet then turned to Muraco as she padded slowly over to him, giving him a nod as well as she moved past - it would be hard on him, she assumed, until his time came and hopefully his turn was the more natural shift. Her eyes locked once more on Xenovia as the panther approached her with purpose.

One slow step at a time.

When, at last, there was little more than an arm's length between them, Kytani raised her right forepaw and held it out for a flicker or two, the claws sliding free of their sheaths for the first time.

And then, not too suddenly to startle the bird warper, the claws came down upon the wooden floor between them, followed by Kytani's nose.

Had the non-Kanthrops not been blindfolded, her pride would not have allowed her to be seen in such a state, but the matured kit knew that, before anything else, she had to deliver a simple message to Xenovia.

You are Alpha..., Kytani silently conceded. I may still disagree at times but you are Alpha. You lead the pack."
Last edited by Kytani Hajgomb on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Triangle Islands”