[Dort] A New Home (Watertown, Jygust 30 MT)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Ly Gia Giang
Civus

[Dort] A New Home (Watertown, Jygust 30 MT)

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

About a mark had passed since the sun had risen. Giang gripped the railings firmly, standing by the prow of the ship, her eyes not on the lapping water which had held her interest over the past two weeks but instead the shadow of land they were headed towards. She had enjoyed the incredible solitude of the open sea, when she could catch it. They had seen nothing but air, water, and the beasts of each, which had offered an aching solitude spoiled only by the crew's desire to fight it by enthusiastically seeking company. Giang often had trouble finding a private place on the open deck during the daylight hours in which to appreciate the empty expanse which drew one's mind out to the vague horizons.
Morning had often been her favourite time, and Giang kept to her routine. Before sunrise she went through the patterns and exercises she had learned from both Mai and Thrang. Not without difficulty, either; the rocking of the ship challenged her careful demands of equilibrium. She'd grown used to it, but now worried that it would affect her performance on solid ground. She would find out today, it seemed.

That brought around the end of Giang's meditations. Perhaps it was good that the journey ended now, before she grew weary of the emptiness she had come to savour. With a certain degree of anticipation, Giang turned her attention towards the workings of their craft as it headed for port.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The emptiness of the open sea certainly stood in stark contrast to the bustling activity of Dort's docks. Dozens of stone and wooden piers jutted out into the vast crescent-shaped bay, and the gentle undulation of the coastal waters caused the myriad of merchant ships, trading vessels and fishing boats moored there to bob and dance in the waves, accompanied by a minor cacophony of clinks, clanks and thuds. Today the cries of seagulls were almost drowned out by the hubbub from the quays. The day of the Midsummer Festival was one of the busiest of the yahren, with visitors coming in from all over the island to join in the eveningtide's celebrations.

The arrival of the Eastern schooner couldn't fail to draw some attention. It wasn't the first contact the island had experienced with the mysterious eastern empire, but such visits were few and far between, and usually the visitors came on Seven Isles ships. The Eastern Empire had built few vessels suitable for long voyages across the ocean, since until recently it had seen little need for such voyages. Some of the nearby piers were lined with excited onlookers.

Mai was still below, preparing her possessions. Joining Giang at the railings instead were two Sojen of the Kenjat Kuru who had volunteered to accompany the Ly family envoy. The younger of the two, Bach Minh Due, was a little older than Giang, tall and rangy for an Easterner. For a Sojen he came across as quite excitable, although given the nature of their voyage that was not surprising. Qui Son Trong, on the other hand, was quiet, fierce and intense. Both had regularly joined the Ly family members for their meals aboard ship, although Due was the only one who really contributed to conversation. For now, both were silent as they took in their new surroundings.

Each pier was identified by a picture painted on a sign: a glass of red wine, a black dog, a glowing lantern, three foxes, three witches standing around a cauldron. The Eastern schooner was guided to a pier with the sign of a white tree. Lines were cast and nimble sailors skipped between the ship and the pier, and eventually a gangplank was lowered. They had arrived in Dort.

Several members of the city watch stood at the ready to receive the new arrivals, watching for pickpockets and other riff raff among the teeming masses.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

Giang's own possessions were easily separated into those she wore and what fitted in the tiny chest that even she was able to carry. Not that she would, of course. House Ly had been considerate enough to provide servants for their envoy. And Sojen, too. She regarded the pair from the peripherals of her vision. Giang had considerable respect for Trong, who seemed to possess a number of traits that Giang aimed for, and of greater quality. And though Due was very much a different sort she was hard pressed to find a reason to dislike the man. Giang had enjoyed the vast separation of the sea, yes, but she understood how sailors could be driven mad with boredom on the longer voyages. Due's verbosity was touched by Sojen wisdom (however inexperienced) and thus mostly worth listening to, plus there was something... comforting in having someone of a similar age around. Giang suspected that her own disposition towards silence was being interpreted by Due as dislike, though of that she could not be certain. She filed it away as something that may require fixing to avoid future conflict between them.

Now they could see the individual figures on the docks, and the docks themselves, Giang ceased regarding her company and cast widened eyes all about her. She had been shown pictures of some Western trinkets, but the sight that was growing ever larger before them was so... alien. And busy, it added a fervour to the blatantly foreign setting. She was unsure what to think of it as of yet, apart from that she was glad she had no money on her. The muck was not so foreign as to be unidentifiable once they drifted closer.
The signs they sailed past caught Giang's attention - a chalice of blood, a dog - or evil oni - then a lantern, three foxes (kami this time?), and three misshapen, oddly dressed cooks around a cauldron. She was glad they stopped at the pier represented by a white tree. She would have been insulted had they docked under the (possible) oni.
There were obviously festivities of some sort and Giang was lured to find out what, exactly, they had arrived in time for. Mai may also appreciate Giang providing preliminary intelligence on their immediate surrounds. Judging by the rapt attention of the crowd - how this great expedition must appear so strange to these... people as well - a covert method would be impractical, even if she had training in those methods yet. On the other hand Giang would bet there would be no shortage of people willing to rant endlessly about this town, once she had set aside those who would ask incessant questions about her own homeland. She turned her head to the Sojen. Company would be preferable.

"I shall ask Mai if I may disembark now to sake my curiousity," she said to her current company. She referred only to herself since she was aware the Sojen were attached to the Ly family but not ultimately answerable to them. "What are your thoughts on this place?"
Last edited by Ly Gia Giang on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Perhaps surprisingly, it was Trong who spoke first. "Little harmony," he stated simply. "Look at the construction." He gestured to a particular area of the waterfront, a veritable tangle of buildings and alleyways. "There is no design, Giang Em, no respect for the elements. Instead of being shaped to please the Kami, this place has been allowed to grow like a weed."

"What you say is true, Trong Anh," Due replied, "but might there not be a kind of harmony in that? Might it not, in fact, be more natural?" Trong merely grunted in response, and at that flicker Ly Gia Mai emerged from the hold.

The matriarch was dressed in a simple robe of golden yellow silk with no patterns embroidered upon it. Below it was a lighter robe in aquamarine blue, and another of a softer yellow below that. Six servants followed, carrying three large chests between them. The chests contained not only the essentials but also samples of Imperial silk and jade, in case a prospective buyer might be found or it became necessary to flaunt her wealth. "Giang Em," she spoke with a smile. "You may precede me off the ship. We need to procure one of those." She indicated a large carriage that was slowly being drawn away from the quayside, laden with crates of goods.

The ship's captain had already disembarked and was talking stiltedly to a burly man in fine leather boots. Meanwhile, sensing that something special had arrived, several members of the City Watch had made their way to the pier and were engaged in shooing away gawkers.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

"Caum on, Mai Ba,"* Giang said to her mistress with a respectful bow. "I shall obtain such a carriage for us." She turned to face the city once more from the rails, seeing it now in consideration of the words of her two Sojen companions.
"Humans here create poor imitations of nature, it would seem. There can be no doubt there are better... more efficient ways to build a city, at least. Cauc anh**, I would be appreciative of your company down there should you honour me so."

Upon their reply Giang made for the gangplank - her stroll leisurely but controlled, back arched straight, eyes and face kept largely expressionless. She must appear dignified for the benefit of those who lived here and the reputation of her house. Her own appearance would surely be enough to gain favourable treatment by any wishing to offer the services in transporting goods, even so, it was good for Mai to have their further wealth displayed in case that was enough. It struck her that she had no real experience in business dealings. Well, now this would be something of a challenge. Surely Mai was aware of this? Most likely, Mai was a calculating person. Giang resolved not to be phased by this small inconvenience.
Her wooden shoes clacked down to the pier, naviagting around tangles of ropes and debris. It truly was a beautiful day, not too cold even with the light breeze. Even though the city smelled it could be so much worse. Now she would have to steer through the gathering crowd without losing her bearings, once having spoken with what appeared to be the local authorities. They may even prove helpful.
Ignoring the behavour of the masses Giang scanned the Watch for tell-tale identifiers marking out the ranking member. Going by the logic that an officer would be outnumbered by their subordinates she approached the person that she assumed was their leader, and gave a very small bow.
"Saung Oang aay," she said. "If you are able to tell me where acquire transportation for our goods, I would thank you." Giang gave the air another sniff, the quayside another mildy disdainful glance. "As well as a carriage suitable for my lady."

*"Thank you, Lady Mai".

** Term used to refer to a number of males older than yourself.

*** "Morningtide respected sir," or title to that effect.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Very sorry about the delay. I missed this thread last time round. Won't happen again!)

Sergeant Avery knew that something big was going down. They'd had traffic from the East before, but nothing on this scale, and there had never, ever been any passengers. And by the composed way this young woman carried herself, and the clothes she wore, Avery could only guess that this was a scion of a noble family. The two men who accompanied her were of interest, too. Avery wasn't really a soldier, but he'd seen enough combat to know a dangerous man on sight, and these two radiated it. Had he been looking for danger in Giang, he likely would have spotted it there, too.

As the Eastern girl approached him and bowed, Avery felt a very strong urge to bow back, but he resisted it. A tall man, slightly too lanky for his uniform, Avery was getting on for middle age, and his red-gold hair was short and wispy. Like all the guards detailed to support the harbourmaster, Avery wore dress uniform, silvery chain mail under a midnight blue cloak with golden yellow tassles and a tabard of the same colour upon which was emblazoned a golden coin. The City Watch had to present an affluent face to impress the wealth of Dort upon incomers. Avery's uniform differed from the men around him in that additional yellow tassles dangled from the shoulders of his tabard where it was attached to the chain mail.

"Certainly, ma'am," he replied immediately. He turned and hollered to one of his men. "Dufton! Fetch this lady a coach and a wagon. Go to Jarvey if you can." Jarvey wasn't the cheapest of the waterside hauliers, but he did provide quality - his vehicles were often in the service of men like Sundrey and even the Duke. Turning back to Giang, he coughed politely. "Allow me to sort it out for you, ma'am. I... ah... take it you will be staying in Dort? If so I will need to know your name and the reason for your visit." Normally they asked after occupation, too, but when dealing with the nobility that question was often skipped. For some reason, unfathomable to Avery, they could get very snappy when asked.
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

Dufton, Jarvey... interesting names. Giang wondered how the people here went about naming things ands themselves. Hopefully she wouldn't insult anyone through mispronunciation, not least of all Dort's aristocracy. Hopefully they would feel the same way.

"Very good," Giang said, pleased she had guessed correctly. Of course, it took another few flickers for her to understand all that the officer had said in that outragrous accent. This man had strange manners; flouting protocol by ignoring her bow - almost insultingly small as it was - but otherwise obviously eager to accomodate her requests. Giang supposed the quality of the carriage would imply whether this was genuine. By the quality of his uniform - even that of his subordinates - these looked like either a select unit of the city watch, or an indication of Dort's wealth that even the guard were so splendidly outfitted.

"My lady is Ly Gia Mai Chu Ba," Giang answered, trying not to overload her speech with Noi Long (she had been warned the barbarians did not understand the language). "I am Ly Gia Giang. We are of Vien, that is, the house of Ly Gia and come as a political delegation sent by the family Ly here to Dort, lead by Ly Gia Mai Chu Ba. As such we do wish to find accomodation here at court."

Giang did not presume to speak for the Sojen so she would let them introduce themselves. Afterwards she continued:

"I will answer any other reasonable questions gladly, but I wish to know to whom I speak."

[hr][/hr]
Not a problem :)
Morg

Post by Morg »

One of Avery's men was standing nearby with a wax tablet and making notes on what Giang was saying. The comical, rather mournful expression on his rounded face as he tried to jot down the syllables of Noi Long thrown into the conversation spoke for his confusion.

Avery himself felt a chill at the bottom of his stomach. I was right - this is big. He hardly heard Due step forward and introduce himself and his companion as Sojen of the Kenjat Kuru, further adding to the scribe's discomfiture.

"Ah... Avery. Martin Avery, ma'am," he introduced himself, with a quick salute. "Sergeant of the City Watch." His mind was racing. "If you wish to find accommodation at court you will need to speak to the Steward at Castle von Beersel. I'm sure he would be honoured to help you." If he'd intended to say anything else, it was quickly lost as he stared in awe at the goods that were being carried down the gangplank onto the quay. One of the chests had been left open - perhaps deliberately, to impress onlookers - and displayed several rolls of brightly coloured silk. Following the goods at a respectable distance was the most valuable commodity of all, Ly Gia Mai herself. She said nothing initially, merely observing everything around her with an expression of absolute superiority. Avery, who was now well aware that this woman was the hub of the little delegation, squirmed when her gaze passed over him.

It wasn't more than a few burns before a carriage rolled up. Painted a glossy black with maroon red curtains and yellow detail lines on the wheels and body, it was clearly a cut above most of those that could be seen. In the driver's box was a tiny gnome, immaculately attired in a long black tailcoat and top hat, his moustache groomed to perfection. "Carriage for the Eastern lady!" he bellowed.

The guard Dufton was on the footboard at the back, and hopped off as the carriage came to a halt, exchanging a few words with Avery. Another vehicle had drawn up behind them: a simple but sizeable wagon with a covering of green cloth.

"Your vehicles, ma'am," Avery announced to Giang. "I hope they, ah, meet your requirements. I've detailed my man Dufton here to accompany you, to aid with the, ah, formalities." Another man had of course been dispatched to the castle to notify the Steward of their impending arrival. The bigwigs didn't like being caught unawares.

Trong had already disappeared into the crowd, leaving Due standing with the two Ly Gia family delegates.
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

The sudden look of awe which overcame Avery's face prompted Giang to cast a look behind her; for a moment her heart seized as her imagination conjured several disasters occuring on the ship. A very small sigh escaped despite her best efforts when she realised it was the affluent display of their entourage. As splendidly outfitted as these guard were, they seemed to lack professionalism. Perhaps they did not have to greet nobility such as themselves on a regular basis. Well, Mai would no doubt want to know the situation, and Giang was about to thank the sergeant for his assistance when the carriage rolled up.
Giang admired it from the moment she saw it, yet she couldn't say precisely why. Though she'd not seen a carriage like it the glossy exterior hinted at a plush, mobile and secret space inside. And like Avery, she could not help but gaze at the spectacle before her, this time in the shape of a roughly three-foot tall humanoid. She'd not seen a gnome before but could hazard a guess that they were one of the 'lesser races' the Long had not suffered to allow in the Empire. Giang was worried that they may well find out why. How would Mai react? How should she react?
With Avery speaking again her attention was dragged back from the coach, and in the excitement had missed the sergeant send a runner out. Giang nodded to Avery (no bow this time) and thanked the man in her usual clipped manner.

"We appreciate your assistance, Sergeant Avery."

Giang returned to greet Mai. She was beginning to realise how lost she would feel were Mai not here. Speaking of which, now that she looked she could not locate Trong.

"My lady, I took the liberty to acquire a coach for you as well as our goods," she said for Mai to hear, and Due if he so wished. "The sergeant Martin Avery said he will send a man with us if we wish to go to the court here, to castle... von Beersel. Er, Oang Trong has also gone, Mai Chu Ba. I am worried."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Funnily enough, Avery did bow in response to Giang's thanks, the tassels on his armour jiggling as he swept low. "Just doing my duty, ma'am."

"Oang Trong is a law unto himself," Due explained, although in truth even he looked a little taken aback by the other Sojen's disappearance. "I am sure he will be able to find us again when he needs to. I will stay with you and ensure your safety, Mai Bao." It was a simple statement of the role of the male. Since no ranking Ly Gia family males had accompanied them to Dort, the Sojen, and especially Due, had taken the part of the soldier.

As ever, Mai's face was unreadable, though the hint of a smile appeared in her eyes as she saw the carriage, fading again once she saw its driver. "Well done, Giang Em," she spoke, and gestured to a servant, who retrieved something from an open trunk. "Please tell the sergeant that we accept his offer, and give him this, to reward him for his care."

It was a tiny tree, little taller than the palm of Mai's outstretched hand. The Art of Bonsai was a favoured hobby of the Ly Gia matriarch. She'd kept several of the plants nourished through the long journey, using rain collected in the waterbutts on deck. Evidently she was keen to make an immediate impression on the people of Dort.

Avery had moved to speak to the gnome on the carriage, who had hopped down to open the door. The interior of the vehicle was as plush as could be hoped for, with two deep benches lined with cushions of the same colour as the curtains. Due knelt and offered his clasped hands as a step up for Mai's sandalled foot, and the lady ascended gracefully into the carriage, with the guard Dufton standing by stiffly.

Behind them, the sailors had already begun to load their goods onto the covered wagon.
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

Catching Giang by surprise was a smile which flickered on her face, just briefly. Mai had praised her! And she had been wound up inside, unsure of herself and what to do. But there was still the matter of Trong... then, why should she fuss? He was older and much more experienced than she, and a castle is a hard thing not to find when one is looking. No doubt the Sojen would return and have much to tell of this city. Probably more than Giang could hope to learn were she to do the same.

"Thank you, Due Oang," she said. "Saying that puts my mind at fair ease, now, as well as that you are still here to assist." Then to Mai: "Yes, Mai Chu Ba. Thank you."

Dutifully she approached Avery once more with the bonsai cradled just in front of her belly. The trees interested her, but she had not developed a taste for the art - nor, perhaps, the required exposure to fully appreciate it. She waited until the man registered her presence before addressing him once more; Avery's manners confused her, so this time she did offer another slight bow to the man and proferred the small, leafy gift.

"Av- Sergeant Avery. My mistress wishes to thank you personally. Here - she has offered you a gift of Bonsai." Recalling what she could remember learning from her time with Mai, she added: "The tree will require regular pruning and should be transplanted periodically to keep it so."
Morg

Post by Morg »

To say that Avery was taken aback was an understatement. He tentatively accepted the tree in a gauntleted hand, holding it and its pot at arm's length while he examined it. Nevertheless there was at least some professionalism in the City Watch, and so the sergeant was able to keep his jaw from dropping this time. "Pruning... and transplantation. Right." He smiled. "I am very grateful to you and your mistress. Have a pleasant journey now!"

When the Easterners had departed, Martin Avery shook his helmeted head, peering once again at the tiny tree. He deliberately ignored the chubby, amused face of the corporal who had been taking notes. By the Golden Lady. What in Tazlure will the wife think of this?

(OOC: Pressing forward a little. Give me a shout if you feel railroaded. ;))

The carriage journey passed rapidly. The city of Dort was large but not vast, and the main obstacles to swift progress were the crowded streets. The layout of the city had to a large extent been planned by the Duke and his advisors, and its streets were built to be wide - but many stalls had been set up alongside them by enterprising merchants, and the City Watch had given up trying to move them along. Furthermore, the city was packed with people who had come to visit for the Midsummer celebrations. Still, in a matter of burns Castle von Beersel loomed up in front of them. A moat of dark water surrounded it, although the drawbridge was lowered and the carriage clattered across it without difficulty. The castle's grey stone walls were high, though not as high as its solid, three-towered keep. Within the courtyard it was cool and shady. The Eastern envoys, along with Due and a woman called Hoa Be who worked in the mercantile side of Ly Gia business, were invited through a high arched doorway into the Great Hall.

The hall had all the trappings of impressive affluence. Rich wood panels covered the walls, the floor was imported marble and carpeted in the centre with rich golden fabric, and tapestries depicting tales both ancient and recent adorned the walls. The largest was one that the Duke had commissioned to show his own contribution to history at the head of the Party of Light, although the story would be lost on the Easterners who had no concept of the events shown. Crystal chandeliers distributed shards of light across the great space, and alcoves held works of art from all over the Empire. The guards that manned this chamber were even more ornately dressed than those of the harbour. They wore deep green cloaks with golden plate mail armour, and their breastplates bore an image of the sun with a man's head in the centre of it.

A man was coming down the hall to greet them. Dressed in red and gold robes, he was a thin, sickly-looking fellow, with wispy brown hair and small black eyes set into a fox-like face. He was flanked by two others: a balding, white-bearded man in an indigo coat, and a tall man with a salt-and-pepper beard in the same dress uniform as the other guards.

"The lady Ly Gia Mai Chu Ba and the lady Ly Gia Giang, of house Ly Gia, and retinue," announced a herald who had until then stood stock still in an alcove. "Lord Dein is Mein, Steward of the Northlands; Lord Sundrey; and retinue."

The man referred to as the Steward, Dein is Mein, bowed deeply, with a gentle smile. After a flicker, the guard and Lord Sundrey did the same, the latter a little stiffly. "Welcome to Dort," the Steward spoke simply. "And I must say we are honoured that your nation has seen fit to open a channel of diplomatic contact with us. We know so little of your people, or your government... It is your government whom you represent, yes?"
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

OOC: On the contrary, lookin' good

Giang felt she had a duty to retain an air of aloof detachment from the streets outside the carriage, a difficult one when she was aching with curiousity. With mixed regrets and joys she tried to breathe deep of the aromas from the stalls by which they passed. Were the buildings here more forbidding in their design than Long Danh, or did they simply lack familiarity? In the face of things so mysterious and removed from home it was simple enough to understand why Trong had gone his own way. That said, the sheer volume of people on the streets reminded Giang very much of her last home.

The intensity of Giang's scrutiny doubled once it fell upon the castle. The city of Long Danh was practically built above water but here the builders had pruposefully built a canal around the castle Von Beersel. She looked up out of the window to watch the massive walls pass over her, separating the outside world from the one within. Withgrowing anticipation - a mix of excitment and dread - she dutifully followed Mai through the arched entrance into the oppressively rich interior. Giang's eye roamed all things within, from the wall hangings to the intricately embossed breastplate of the guards to the unimposing man in the red and gold robes heading towards them. As he was positioned at the head of a trio, this was probably the steward.

Morg wrote:"The lady Ly Gia Mai Chu Ba and the lady Ly Gia Giang, of house Ly Gia, and retinue," announced a herald who had until then stood stock still in an alcove. "Lord Dein is Mein, Steward of the Northlands; Lord Sundrey; and retinue."

Apparently the Dortonese were very much unfamiliar with Noi Long after all. Unless Giang had tripped up before and introduced Mai Chu Ba as such... no, they simply thought the honorific was part of her name. Giang watched the other entourage from the her peripherals and calculated her returning bow accordingly - it should just be a little deeper than Due's, and shallower than the rest of the entourage (save Mai), she reckoned. But it was Mai's place to talk for them, and not hers unless spoken to...
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

The Eastern envoy bowed in return, all together, as was custom for them. Mai stepped forward and replied to their greeting "Meeting you good is. We to be here happy. Giang-san speak better language. Speak Western and Eastern she both. She translate.", indicating Giang with her hand as she pronounced her name. A smile was ever present as she spoke to the Dortenese lords. Due took a step back as she began to speak.

Before the Steward could put in a word, Mai Chu Ba motioned the girl forward. "Tell her whom we represent, Giang, and how grateful we are to be guests in his town." she told the girl, glancing at Dein ist Mein a few times as she exchanged the words. "Could you also arrange rooms for us and a place to safely store our belongings?" she asked of Giang, presenting the girl with the honours of being spokesperson for the envoy. "It shall be good for you to practice their tongue and it will teach you about the dealings with foreign rulers." she added to it, before turning back to face the Steward and his companions.

That was the cue the Steward was waiting for. "Giang-san, I presume?" he asked Giang. "Is there anything I can do for Ly Giang Mai Chu Ba and her envoy?"
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

In the name of the Dragon Empress! Giang observed in detached horror as her aloof outer shell began to fray. Not for the first time she had to collect herself to think and remain calm. Why does Mai Ba wish for me to negotiate with these men? I am still in training! No, no time to think of that - what must I say? By the kami, woman... be polite, to start. When in doubt, Giang had learned to bow. This she did when the Steward addressed her, while her mind still tap-danced on the edge of panic. Giang did notice that the Steward had gotten her lady's honorifics correctly, though she did not know what suffix Dein is Mein had attached to her own name.

"Yes, Dein Chu. First, I apologise should I sound brash, I am not very familiar with the subtleties of other dialects. You have grasped Noi Long... finer than others I have spoken with, this I feel bodes well for talk between our Houses and as an omen, Dein Chu."

There, a little flattery never hurt anyone. Giang took a breath and carried on. She could not look directly into the eyes of the Steward, so she gazed at his feet. While she spoke a separate part of her mind studied his footwear.

"Our envoy comes on behalf on House Ly Gia, of family Ly. Family Ly is honoured to be greeted by the Steward in person. We could not resist but admire the city of Dort and are thankful we have been accepted so warmly here - the conduct of your Watch does Dort a great service. It is our hope that we are allowed to be guests in your court so that we may have a healthy and beneficial relationship. This I humbly ask of you on behalf of Family Ly."

Not entirely truthful, but that was the way things were done, wasn't it?
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The Steward wore high leather shoes, or boots. His breeches covered it above the ankle and this would thus remain a mistery. They were ornamented with embroidery. Definately not something the common man would wear. Something even an outsider could notice.

"May the Light of the Father shine upon us, the way your omen predicts good things for us." he said patiently, wondering why Giang was looking down. It must be custom to them. Better not disturb it, before I offend anyone the Steward thought.

"I thank you for your many compliments. Not only does the Watch Dort a great service, they also ensure the safety of each and every citizen of our wonderful city. Highly skilled and continuously trained. The best the Empire has." he said, proud of the guard of his hometown, and boasting to make the Eastern envoy feel more at ease by emphasizing their security.

"As for a stay in our wonderful city, I can have rooms arranged to you all in the west wing of the castle, if you so please. You'll have a great view on the surrounding lands outside our fair city. Unfortunately, you came rather unexpected and it would take about a mark at most to prepare the rooms for guests like you. Would that be a problem? Of course, I'll have the servants unload your luggage." he said, his orders to prepare the rooms had already been given, but he needed to make sure they were fine.

A servant approached giving the Steward a silent signal. "Milady, if you and your mistress would like to, we can move the sitting room to enjoy a drink." he offered them to fill the space between now and when the rooms would be shown.

Special:
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

Adanedhel wrote:"Not only does the Watch Dort a great service, they also ensure the safety of each and every citizen of our wonderful city. Highly skilled and continuously trained. The best the Empire has."

That bewildered simpleton was the best Dort has to offer? Perhaps we caught him on a bad day... Giang did not think what exactly had been the cause of that bad day, though.

Giang said to the Steward, "We are thankful for your hospitality." She turned quickly to Mai to say, in their normal dialect, "We have been offered accommodation in the west wing which will be prepared within a mark, Mai Ba. We seem to have caught them off guard... the Steward has also offered assistance in moving our things into the new rooms, but for now he wishes for your ladyship and I to move into the... sitting room... for a drink."

Giang would gladly assist with overseeing the moving should Mai want her to stay behind, but duty would require her to move without hesitation if Mai also wanted her to join them for drinks.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The Steward looked expectantly at Mai Chu Ba as Giang translated for the lady. The Eastern woman bowed her head slowly to Dein-ist-Mein. No words were spoken for a few seconds before the Steward realised she had accepted the offer. He quickly led them off through a hallway where the bright sunlight fell through the yellow tainted large glass windows, given the walls a soft golden glow.

After having passed a few doors, there were two large double doors on their right hand. As the Steward halted in front of them, two servants materialised from the shadows, opening the heavy wooden doors lined with a golden pattern unknown to the Eastern envoy, but known to be one of many highland patters commonly used in the jewellery they made.

Inside the room the hearth sported a small fire, enough to keep the spacious room at a comfortable temperature, without actually heating it too much. The comfortable chairs and sofa in the room were in two shades of blue, trimmed with a golden yellow. The wooden tables were a dark cherry wood. A small table held an ornate set of glasses and several bottles of spirits on display. The side tables next to the chairs sported tea and coffee sets, a servant next to one of them, waiting with a plate holding both a can of tea and coffee. On the wall, tapestries depicting various scenes of stories hung from the ceiling all the way to the floor.

"Please, Mai Chu Ba, have a seat." the Steward offered as he indicated the chairs. The balding man had stayed behind, while the uniformed man followed, but kept a discreet distance between him and the envoy. "Can I offer you coffee or tea?" Dein ist Mein asked, not knowing about their tea ceremonies. Mai Chu Ba, knowing little of the language, understood the gesture with his hand and took a seat, almost sinking away in the big chair, asking for tea as it was offered. "Giang, do ask them about their tea ceremonies when you get the chance." she asked of the girl, surprised with the ease in which the servant poured the tea without seeming to care one bit where it went or how they would take it.

When both were seated and had the requested drinks poured, he spoke once again. He had taken the exchange between the women as an off comment about the room, having no idea what had been said. "What is it that Dort can do for you, miladies, apart from giving you all the luxuries you deserve?"

Special:
Ly Gia Giang
Civus

Post by Ly Gia Giang »

Giang's attention was concentrated everywhere but the company around her. She saw the intricacies and beauty of the different styles and patterns with an outsider's eyes; that is, ones not dulled with familiarity. Was that pattern all just one line, weaving in and out of itself? The mind saw the organised surface result but began to hurt when one attempted to follow the flow of the art. Tottering calmly along behind her lady, she imagined how appealing that one would look running across her kimono in gold thread...

She listened with half an ear to the steward once past the doors. Now she was absorbed in the tapestries - but with a mental shake, she reminded herself her duty here was much more than to daydream over the barabrian's artwork. She followed Mai Chu Ba to her seat and, without taking one for herself (she had not been invited to, nor had Mai ordered her to, sit down) stood at attention by the elbow of her mistress.
Then they poured the tea.

"Yes, my Lady," she replied, watching the serving girl with a slightly appalled fascination. Was that a threat, Steward? She wondered wryly, still thinking of the tea. I do not think we deserve such luxuries, no matter what our sins. Not for the first time Giang was thankful she did not make a habit of thinking aloud.
She turned to Mai. The languages of the Empire and these lands may be mere dialects away, but it was apparent why some would need translators. Why, if she herself had not had those lessons, filtered through from the sailors who made rare journeys across the sea...
'Miladies' was difficult. Surely he was not referring to them as diseases.

"My Lady, the Steward courteously offers us the hospitality of his house before wondering how best he may serve the interests of our envoy."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The serving girl poured tea for the Steward as if it was any other drink. As far as they could see, tea held no meaning here, or they hadn't shown it yet.

Mai Chu Ba looked at the translator. "Giang-san, tell him we are grateful and that we are looking for a... mystical creature that has been spotted around this island. Apart from that, I want to know where I can sell our goods."

As the Steward waved the girl away, she vanished into the shadows and out of sight. "Please, miss, have a seat yourself. There's no reason to be standing. After all, should we not treat each other as equals and have our lands flourish by cooperation? Pray tell me I can help you with something." he said, indicating the empty chair next to the elder lady for Giang to sit in.

Special:

Return to “Triangle Islands”