[Aveas] Back at the Camp - Cave of the Heart (Jyg 30th ETT)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Jolace
Singer of Songs

[Aveas] Back at the Camp - Cave of the Heart (Jyg 30th ETT)

Post by Jolace »

It had been an interesting morning, no doubt. Jolace had returned to the camp a bit tired, and somewhat hungry.

He now had, however, a few other things on his mind than food this time. Earlier this morning he was meditating with the ocean, and there was a thought he couldn't completely clear out of his head. Jolace had felt mystical and empowered when he was around the ocean. In fact- he always had. He was now curious however: Did that mean he has mystic potential? For that reason he wished to find old Master Gannas, the shaman of his tribe. The only snag was, Jolace was't quite sure where the old Master was at the moment. Regardless, he intended to find out. If any were around, he would approach the nearest adult kanthrop and ask in his soft, respectful voice.

His inner orca's inquisitive nature pushed him forward with confidence, and standing upright he asked: "Excuse me, but do you recall where master Gannas is these days?" He bowed his head in respect as he said it, and when he returned his gaze to the older kanthrop, he smiled formally, awaiting response. I certainly hope he is nearby, I have questions that need answered.
Last edited by Jolace on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Music, next to silence, is the purest form of expression."

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ed6k5wc5hym]Listen to Song of Jolace[/url]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=216506#216506]Jolace pics[/url]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

"Gannas?" Kis, a young woman only a few yahren older than Jolace replied, with a smile on her face as she'd watched the young man approach. Jolace knew her to be a falcon warper. Currently she was sat in front of the cave, embroidering away at a colorful red kanthar.

"I think he's on Ursa. Daylight is full now, so the field harvest is on it's way and the hunters are out there aswell to protect them."

These days the Kanthrop residing on Aveas waited till Tradetide before using the Heart to travel to Ursa. The Cryers generally left their belongings alone, solely interested in causing death rather than destruction. Under the cover of the sun however, they were rather powerless, which was the time when most Kanthrop returned to Valley Village to attend their duties. That was, those that were not charged with watching the kit that remained on Aveas.

"Why are you looking for him Jolace?"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Hello, Kis. You look lovely today." He nodded his head at her response, and greeted her in his deep, soft manner. "I hope to meet with him today." I should opt to do so before too much time has passed. He looked back in his memory, and he seemed to recall Gannas proposing that there was talent similar to his own among the kit. Despite that, nobody seemed to show a remarkable amount of appreciation to what the shaman did. Jolace however was always quite impressed with his abilities.

"Well... I.." Why did he want to see Gannas? It wasn't clear even to him, but he felt like he had to see him. There must be an explanation for the spiritual way he felt around the water. He stuttered in an attempt to present Kis with the answer she deserved, but he had a hard time finding the words. He didn't feel like the two of them were remarkably close, and he wasn't entirely confident speaking to her. When he finally mustered up the courage, he forced the words out softly and nervously.

"I... well... I just need to ask him for help... Kis, do you... Do you think I could get up to Ursa today? I have a personal matter that requires his attention... and I'd like to take care of it as soon as possible..."

A bead of sweat rolled down his cheek, and he let out a nervous laugh. While he waited for her to respond, he retreated to his mind where he felt safe. I must see him today. I'd much rather get it done sooner than later. He then offered her a warm smile, and he lowered his head to show respect.
Last edited by Jolace on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 am, edited 7 times in total.

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ed6k5wc5hym]Listen to Song of Jolace[/url]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Kis laughed at the way he spoke. "Lighten up Jolace, I'm not going to bite. At least not right now..." She winked. I'm sure the guards will let you up through the Heart. It's quite safe now and I'm sure that even if you won't find Gannas right away, a nice stroll through Valley Village might clear some of that shyness of yours right up.

She giggled a bit and her face contorted into an evil smirk. "And if that doesn't help you could always go play tag with the Cryers. Big hulking guy like you fix them right up."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Oh- right then." His face turned somewhat red and he smiled at her. "Well, thank you very much, Kis. I appreciate it." He nodded his head at her. When she winked, his heart doubled in pace and he could feel heat emanating off of his blushing face. His shyness subsided however as the mentioning of Cryers arose. "Even someone as shy as me would have no problem teaching those Cryers a lesson." He jestingly punched his right hand into his left palm, and let out a laugh. To be serious, he truly did hope to teach them a lesson, but he had other concerns at the moment.

"Unless you feel like coming along, I hope to see you again, Kis." He turned to head toward his home on Ursa. He was excited to teleport up through the Heart, because he was in somewhat of a hurry. He looked back at Kis as he trodded along. She was another one of the nice ones, and he certainly liked her. They didn't know each other too well, but there was definitely no social friction between them. He hummed a tune that he was all too familiar with as he walked on his way to the low-key teleporting area in the Heart.
Last edited by Jolace on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Kis did not seem inclined to join as she just smiled at Jolace and continued her work. It was but a short distance to the cave in which lay the secret entrance to Ursa. The one their people had used often to reach the hunting grounds on Pan's Isle. Ursa was rather devoid of proper game. In the old days kit would not have been allowed through the Heart, but after the evacuation all kit had been given a small sliver of the Heart's rock, which activated the magick triggering the ascent and descent from and to Ursa.

As he stepped into the mouth of the cave, the two guards who stood there just nodded. Walking deeper inside revealed the cave to be rather plain, though the walls and the floor were adorned with clawmarks and other subtle signs of animals passing through it. Animals, or kanthrop.

Shortly after he reached roughly the middle of the cave, the walls, floor and ceiling started to glow with a blue light. Small ripples and cracks in the rock shone with a blue light, culminating in a bright flash, revealing what at first glance appeared to be the same cave. Turning around however revealed Ursa, which was sprawled out in front of the cave. The water of the waterfall cascading down the mountain by the entrance into Paw Lake. The fields waving in the breeze, with figures walking around among the grain which fed their people. Stepping outside revealed Valley Village to the right, down a narrow path which led along the edge of the lake and the Howling Forest, which had been deemed off limits.

Home...

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace inhaled the clean air of his home and let out a massive contented sigh. "I'm home."

He was happy to be home, but the pressing thoughts on his mind remained, and he turned down the narrow path to the Valley Village, specifically Gannas' place of living. He walked rather quickly and with somewhat long strides, even for someone with legs as long as his. Anyone who passed him in the street would receive a friendly wave or a nod of the head. He felt happy about his return, and he was excited to speak with Gannas. He wanted to learn about spirits and shamanism. He wanted to know where his natural talent for it lay on the scale. He was confident that this was something he was meant to do. Even if he was wrong, and had little inherent talent, he would be willing to put work into finding an answer and speaking with the spirits of nature. I'll have answers soon enough.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Jolace did not meet many on his trek from the cave to the village. Most he saw were working out in the fields, harvesting grain. There seemed to be some fires lit in the village though and as he approached he found some people there gathering materials from the tents to return to the camp on Pan's Isle.

Gannas' hut, like all the others stood untouched by the Cryers. A small trail of smoke escaped through the roof into the morningtide air.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Alright, now is my chance, I'd better take it. He noted the smoke seeping out of the hut, and took it to mean he lucked out, and that Gannas was indeed home. Nervously, his meek baritone voice muttered.

"G- Gannas, are you uh... well... I..." His hand trembled and he raised it to knock on the doorframe before him. After three forced knocks, he blurted out the rest nervously, in a higher and louder voice.

"Gannas it is me, Jolace. I need to talk to you about the spirits- could you possibly counsel me, because I think I have some inborn talent that I would like to meet but I need your help to... uh. Well... Harness it, you know?" Man I am so pitiful, why can't I grow a spine and speak bravely for once?

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The flap covering the entrance to the hut opened, revealing Gannas standing there. He looked the young kit up and down a few times before a broad smile cracked on his aged face. "So...you want to talk about spirits? No better place than Ursa to discuss that, wouldn't you think?" He stepped out into the open air, breathing in heavily a few times.

"If not for the Cryers, this would be a great day. It still is in many ways." Gannas was a bit shorter than Jolace, but not so much that he had to look down a lot at the old wise man. "Let's walk then. These things are best discussed while enjoying a walk, don't you think?" He started walking slowly through and out of the village in the direction of the forest. As they walked he kept his silence for a while until they left the village walls behind them.

"So, what is it you really want to ask?"

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

"Well, master Gannas," He started. Jolace felt much more comfortable speaking alone with him, one on one. Out of the public eye he was much less awkward and quiet. "I've been getting these influences lately. Nothing extreme, just subtle 'messages' it seems, in the form of a calming vibe whenever I am near the ocean. When I walk in the forest, or swim deep, I feel struck with a nerve of caution and vigilance. These emotions almost seem to be guiding, even protecting me." He looked up at the beautiful sky and he sighed. The wind blew his hair to the side a bit, and he continued.

"...I know that I have an inner spirit, and that I have not mastered my connection with it as you kanthan have. But sometimes, I feel like I have a relationship with more spirits than just the two within me. I wish to learn to speak with these spirits, to share their wisdom and power. I know that deep down, I must have some sort of inborn talent for this, that it may be the path I was meant to follow. The path..." He looked down at his open palm, and he clenched it in a dramatic fist. "...of a shaman."

Who knows, maybe this path could prove useful toward fending off cryers...

"Master Gannas. I think that if I learned the ways of a shaman, I could have a better relationship with nature, the spirits around us, Mother Ursa, and even my inner Orca. Also, this possible talent could cause me to be quite useful against the nightmares that hide in thin air."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Gannas listened patiently while Jolace related his story. His memories went back to the time when he started his days as an apprentice, if you can call it that. A vibrant memory despite his old age.

Their walk led them into the forest. The sun shone brightly through the canopy upon the path they trod. The path leading to the Skymyst Passage at the far end of the island. But as Jolace knew, there were many bends and turns to it.

"The spirits of our ancestors, the spirits of this world are ever present. They speak all the time, to any who would hear them. It is a matter of being willing to listen, being willing to open up to the beings from beyond the veil if you are to truly commune with them." The pace was steady, slow. Gannas was enjoying being out of the village, which reflected from him as he gazed around admiring the scenery. Beams of light breaking on small pools of water along the path, the dew evaporating from the leaves of a nearby bush.

"Look around you. If not for the Cryers who hide in the shadows, you'd think we are alone in these woods, on this path. But even now we are not alone. We are never alone. The spirits within us are always present, a doorway to the Aether realm. It is with them you must first learn to speak if you truly wish to walk the path of a shaman."

They came to an intersection, the path forking to the right or continuing onward. Gannas stopped and looked at Jolace as if to say; "Where to?"

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace nodded in agreement with Gannas. "Then it is true! There is something beyond the tether that calls out to me. Truthfully, I have never felt alone... Master Gannas, I'm even more sure of it now than ever." Jolace stopped and closed his eyes. He felt that there may be significance in the path that he chose, both empirically and metaphysically. If I am to open a door to the aether, I must continue my training of communication with spirits... But I also must turn down a new path, to a new way of living. A way of coexisting with the aether...

"Master Gannas, I think I am ready to begin the path of a shaman." The path to masterful shamanism is long you know... You may be ready for the first few steps, but don't expect to equal Gannas right away... Tazlure was not built in a day. "I share something with the spirits, something that was given to me by them... I think that it holds the key to my unlocking the door of communication to these spirits." My song... Not my song, their song.

"It is a song, that has been sung to me over the years by what I believe to be spirits of nature. I think this melody may have some importance beyond that of just a calming tune... This song may represent my transformation into a new creature- one who communes with the aether. My new existence as a shaman." Jolace opened his eyes and he looked at Gannas with a comforted smile on his lips.

"I think we should turn right, master Gannas."
Last edited by Jolace on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Then let's."

The path to the right led to Harmony Circle, a place which Jolace knew was a spiritual place where often Gannas meditated and consulted the spirits of the forest. Most kit only ever saw it at a glance, for nothing much usually happened there that a child would interest. The trees around Harmony Circle are white, standing as pillars in an almost perfect circular symmetry around the sandy surface of the area. Barely any sunlight would be able to penetrate here during the day, as the overhanging branches cover most of the light, and filter it, so that only a twilight remains. In between the trees small lights can be seen, flickering and shifting as they dance around your vision.

In the middle of the circle there is a pile of stones, stacked neatly and purposefully. Waiting for the next ritual. There are no tables or chairs, no signs of reagent use or even the burning of a torch or a fire. Silence blankets you in this part of the forest, a comforting silence, like the kind you may find in a mother’s womb or the gentle lullaby of a spring evening.

"You have chosen your path. This is where it has led you. A dangerous spot for our kind as you can tell." Gannas sat down in front of the pile of rocks, placed his hands on his knees and closed his eyes.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Wide-eyed, the fascinated kit took in his surroundings. He could almost feel the presence of spirits, as if he could reach out and touch them. Despite his logical fear of Cryers, he felt comforted. Then again this could all be in his head. I wonder... Gannas wouldn't kneel down in a den of darkness for no reason. He watched Gannas sit by the rocks and he stood next to him, uncertain at first. He meekly obeyed and followed, and he nodded his head in agreement with his declaration of the dangers of the area. The kit approached and kneeled next to Gannas near the pile, with his fists clenched. He was careful and he kept his eyes open, but he strained to focus as hard as he could on a spiritual meditation.

"Good spirits of the aether, if you can hear me, please respond to my call to you. O wonderous beings of the aether I humbly request your attention. The song you have blessed me with, I now sing to you in thanks. O souls of nature, lend me your strength and your courage, your sword and your shield this day! That I may not succumb to the nightmares that lurk in the darkness, but be embraced in an aura of light!" His eyelids twitched as he held them open, and his brain tickled from how deeply he focused, while frightenedly glancing around for the possible nightmare's apparition. He had faith... He had faith that the spirits and Gannas alike would not let him be ambushed by cryers. At least, not alone.

Softly and trembling, he began to hum the melody of his aetherial song. His mind was deeply focused on hearing, on seeing. And he hoped from the farthest depth of his soul that he would be granted a response from the good spirits of nature. And then, he relaxed his mind, he lowered his strain and he waited calmly for an answer...
Last edited by Jolace on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

At first, nothing much seemed to happen. Gannas just sat there silently beside Jolace. His anxiety was almost tangible in the silence of this particular nook of the woods. As he submitted to the song of his heart, whispering words to the wind, he felt a soft breeze caress his skin as a light penetrated his closed eyelids.

Opening them would reveal that the small lights that darted around the trees randomly, like small glow worms or beetles, giving off more light than they did normally. Their number seemed to increase aswell as he hummed his melody, the light of the small creatures filling the circle with a gentle white glow.

Gannas whispered; "You have their attention at least Jolace..."

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

He continued to hum his melody*, and as he saw the spiritual entities appearing, and heard Gannas' words, his heart boldened despite his fear of Cryers. Now is my chance, spirits, to show you our connection... He meditated on this thought, that he had always been waiting for this moment, and he hoped that they could sense that.

I have this feeling that it is the eager aquatic spirit within me that identifies with spirits of nature… I’ve got to try to communicate with them, make them understand my plight. And yet I feel like they’ve watched me this whole time. Mother Ursa, may my communing with your spirits be as fruitful as I hope.

His melody soon turned into words, and he sang them from the depths of his heart in a smooth baritone:

"I feel like we have known you...
Even though I never could see...
Now I only wish to show you...
How truly close we could be.

Spirits please show me that I am not in vain,
As the sky meets with the earth, through the rain..."

His voice began to grow in strength, and it's timbre was smooth. His trembling had subsided and he began to extend his arms out in front of him, palms facing up as if offering somebody a hug, or welcoming a guest. He continued to sing, and his heart raced in his chest. As he reached the second verse, he returned to his original singing stance, with arms at his sides, slightly bent at the elbows and his palms face up. He took the song up an octave, but instead of using a falsetto, he used a bold tenor voice and continued:

"The spirit within me...
Calls out to you so...
Through us could your knowledge,
And pow'r swiftly flow....

I offer you the deepest of
Respect that I can give...
I need to hear you tell me
It's the truth for which I live...

Spirits please show me
I'm not in vain...

As friendship heals the deepest...
...Of our pain."

He drew out the final line of the song, and with a steady vibrato he savored the last note. He felt as if he was being lifted off of the ground as he sang this, because finally he had expressed himself. His song found words, and at such an appropriate time. It is up to them now... Will they accept my offering of friendship? His faith had grown strong that he was safe here from the cryers. His heart told him that if he was attacked by Cryers, he might have more than just Gannas on his side...

OOC:
*See "Song of Jolace" for the music to which he sings.
Last edited by Jolace on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Aside from the fact that singing was not something Jolace did well by many people's standards, his attempt was sincere and apparently appreciated by the little swirly lights whose glow intensified as he sang, dancing on the melody of the words he let out in the twilight of the circle. His Inner Animal sang along it seemed. He could almost imagine hearing the high pitched sounds of the orca filling in the blanks surrounding his words, music waving amidst the trees.

When he finished his song, Gannas had gone.

FOOM!

As soon as the last word left his lips and the sound left the circle, all the little lights dispersed as quickly as snow before the jygust summer sun.

Darkness enveloped the clearing.

His Inner Animal told Jolace he was not alone...

Oh look, one of the halfbreeds has come to play...

The words seeped into his mind like cold shards of glass. He felt the hairs on his entire body stand on end as his Inner Animal cried out in defiance.

Cryers...

...And it can't even sing. Perhaps we can teach it a new tune or two.

Jolace's inner orca was not a happy sea mammal...

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace instantly donned a defensive pose, terrified and startled. His heart was racing and his eyes were flicking about, desperately trying to see around him. It is now or never... He focused his thoughts on overcoming his fear. He intended to do one thing with these cryers, and that was not just survive, it was to fend them off. He prayed to the spirits, in sync with his inner animal, and he attuned himself to his instinct.

"Blessed Spirits, we need your strength! Please bless us with the searing light of your power! Give us the ability to overcome these shadows of evil! We will indebt our life to respecting and tributing you, if you will give us the power, to win!"

His muscles tensed and he continued to flick his eyes around. He tightened his fists until his nails were almost drawing blood from his palms, and he prepared himself to see, to dodge, and to kill.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

A liquid darkness flowed along the ground from the other side of the clearing, as if the Cryers meant for him to witness their arrival. The darkness that contained the creatures was denser than the twilight that covered the clearing, and hints of life, eyes, claws, were visible among the black mist.

There's no were to run little one...

A shape started to form from the darkness, a ghastly image, a wraith like shape that floated in the air before him, right above the pile of stones that lay in the center of the circle. Red glowing eyes pierced the darkness as they sought the gaze of the young kanthrop who stood ready to defend himself.

Oh look, it's NOT afraid...it wants to fight us...How fun.

Jolace sent out his prayers into the Aether. He felt no reply. The tranquility which had permeated the clearing but flickers earlier had made way for an icy cold and a general feeling of unpleasantness.

We hope you are prepared to die.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

We've been preparing for this day... It's all or nothing at this point. His eyes were almost slits from the contempt that seethed out of him toward these evil spirits. He could feel the righteous fury growing within him like a blazing fire.

It was his faith. He had faith that Gannas had not abandoned him, he had faith that the spirits had not forsaken him, and most of all, he had faith that he was meant to ruin this cryer's day. His faith was causing a rising sensation of power and porpoise inside of him.

Fire...

He kept himself attuned with this faith. He did not hear a reply, but he continued to ask anyway, and tried his hardest to channel its energy through his body. "Spirits, give me your energy, I will defend you and us today with your power!" He shouted and he did his best to craft the righteous energy he felt into the form of a blast of fire, to rocket out of his fist as he thrust it toward the cryer in front of him. Have faith, and it will happen.

He had visions of fire licking the air around him, but it did not burn. He could feel energy all around him, and he used his imagination, paired with his faith to force it out of him in the form of a fiery punch, toward the red eyes.

The icy cold feeling was gone, now there was only hope. Hope, and faith.
Last edited by Jolace on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Poor, poor kanthrop...so sure of yourself and your spirits...

The Cryer's shape writhed closer, a swirling vortex of darkness within the shape of the wraith before him.

Your prayers mean nothing. This is a dream and we are the nightmares that lurk at the rim. You can not fight us, you will only find death.

Yet the Cryer did not lunge, it did not attack. Jolace called upon the spirits around him, seeking aid in his plight against this being of darkness. He did feel something as his fist directed itself at the dark shape. For a split flicker he thought he saw some spark of light come from the pile of rock beneath the Cryer.

His fist struck, darkness warped around it. His hand shot through the Cryer like it wasn't there.

And then...it wasn't.

Jolace found himself sitting on the ground once more. Gannas was sitting next to him, his eyes slowly opening. The clearing felt safe again, the small orbs of light had returned. One of them had settled on the pile of stones. Words carried through the air, though this time they felt...nurturing.

You have faith...

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace quickly opened his eyes and still kneeling, his upper-body fell forward, stopping his fall with his hands and gasping for air. That... Was a test? I think... I think we passed... "Yes spirits, we have faith in you." His adrenaline was pumping and he realized that he had just proven his faith with what was the most terrifyingly dangerous thing he had ever done in his life. Some would have called him a fool for charging a cryer head-on but... He had faith.

"Gannas... I think the spirits were testing me... You had disappeared... It became dark and I saw cryers, and icy cold darkness all around... Then, I tried to fight the cryers, fueled by my faith in the spirits' power, and... And then I woke up here again, next to you..." He stretched out his fingers and clenched a fist, to ensure that he was awake by feeling his muscles move.

His heartbeat slowed to normalcy once more, and his soul was overcome with relief and comfort. He was alive, and he felt more connected to the aetherial beings than ever before. "Thank you, for giving us a chance."

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Gannas nodded, as the single light that rested upon the pile of stones rose and fluttered in front of Jolace for a few flickers before setting down upon his hand. A warm feeling flowed through him as the light burned brightly for a flicker and then vanished.

"The spirits of the world come in many guises. What you saw was a segment of their world. The world of dreams. They call it the Aether. In there all spirits reside in some shape or form, coming out into the Tether only partly as their true nature is always bound to the world beyond our own. By showing them your faith and determination you have taken the first step towards becoming what you claim to want to become."

He got up.

"If the path of a shaman is the one you truly wish to follow, then the first step has been taken."

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jole nodded eagerly as Gannas spoke, as if his words were the very law of the tribe itself. "Yes, master Gannas," he started softly and humbly. "I wish to follow the path of a shaman. I do." He raised himself onto his knees, not standing up, and not taking his eyes away from the spiritual light. "What..." he stammered, uncertain as far as what he was supposed to do after the first step. He wondered what the second step would turn out to be.

"What do I do now?"

Return to “Triangle Islands”