[Sierra] Mages in the jungle (Jygust 31st, Early MT)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Morg

[Sierra] Mages in the jungle (Jygust 31st, Early MT)

Post by Morg »

Morgan hadn't been idle on the 30th. He'd been rooting through the University's stores, both magickal and mundane, for useful gear for the expedition, which explained his current appearance. The tall magus looked incongruous and quite sinister in his get-up. Upon his head was the broad-brimmed leather hat which had accompanied him from Dort, and he was wearing the leather boots that had stood him in good stead while sloshing through muddy fields in the Midlands. These were complemented by a dark green, knee-length waxed coat of the style that fishermen sometimes wore. At his belt was strapped his long knife, and on his back was his trusty rucksack, which was filled with all the non-perishable food he'd been able to procure: dried meats and biscuits, mostly, but also some smoked cheese. Waterskins were strapped to the back. It meant that he was carrying a lot, and he could find himself overdressed and overequipped, but he figured it was better to start like that. He could always shed some garments if he needed to, whereas it was much more difficult to suddenly accrue them in the middle of the jungle.

As usual, Morgan had applied an anti-insect ward before heading out. He'd opted this time for a simple weave, one that replicated the smell of a certain jungle plant that insects detested, which he'd woven tightly into his shield. The air around him was therefore thick with the odour of citronella as he leaned against the wall of the shack that housed the Sierran Explorers' Guild, waiting for his friends to join him.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

It was a bit of foresight on Motley's part that he had packed for the expedition the night before. Not that there was much for him to equip himself with, but it did save him some tome nonetheless as he rushed from teaching his class at the Rocky Island Guild, through the dizzying portal, and now finally in the rough streets as he made his way to the Explorers Guild.

The twisted little man was much used to carrying his life in the sturdy leather satchel he so often bore across one shoulder. The satchel was well worn, and full of everything Motley owned more often than not. There had been some concessions and decisions over what to take and what to leave behind. He was used to walking the cobbled streets of Roque d'Ancourt and Citadel, not through the rough, wild jungles of Sierra, so there was much to be considered. Foodstuffs, water, changes of clothing, his famous patchwork coat folded neatly into a pillow, his pipe and pouch, and his sharp knife all went into the satchel, along with his leather bound book that he wrote his songs and stories in, a few quills, and his tightly sealed inkpot. His Pan's pipes were at the top and his lute was over the other shoulder. Out in the jungle, there would at least be music.

On his head was his floppy, crumpled hat, wrinkled and worn. His shirt was of a brownish gray hue that Dwarves often wore, as were his leggings. His size and stature often matched those of that dour and hardy race, and so he often wore what was available to them, as it was largely the only things that fit right. On his feet were the sturdy boots that he'd worn comfortable, a new pair were strapped to the outside of his pack, just in case.

Lastly came the little man himself. Motley possessed an indomitable cheerfulness, and wild optimism, but these valuable possessions meant nothing to the creatures of the wild that would look upon him as a nice light meal. If he was being honest with himself he was quite frightened of the whole idea of an expedition into the jungle. But Motley was a firm believer in new tests and experiences. He had come to Citadel to learn and test himself. He wanted to grow in this ever expanding power he found deep within him. Mages like Morgan and Becca and Professor Motrice were all trained and experienced in their art. They understood its limits and its constraints, and before he had begun practicing and learning from them, he knew nothing of that. The power within him was much like a flower growing between two cobblestones. Given the right nurturing, the flower could grow into a mighty tree and split the stones asunder. And that in and of itself was the reason he had decided to come along. Without testing, without nourishment, this power that had been bestowed upon him would be little more than a weed easily trampled underfoot. The invincible will within the ugly little man would not allow his life and the lives of his loved ones to be so easily and callously destroyed. He wanted more for and from himself.

As Morgan came into view, he grinned and swept the rumpled hat from his head to wave. During the past months in their training sessions, Motley had come to look upon Morgan as a trusted companion. They had come from vastly different backgrounds. Morgan's had been rural, and Motley's had been urban, but they found common ground in the "Ars Magicka", and the malformed little bard found strength and inspiration in the Dortman's probing questions and inquisitive nature. He felt confident that Morgan would succeed in leading them to whatever it was they were seeking, and that his own magic and ability would be tested along the way.

"Hullo Morgan. I apologize if I have kept you long. I got here as soon as I could."

The little man sat, somewhat sloppily and directly in a heap against the same wall where Morgan leaned. Relief flooded through his brutish features, clearly indicative that he had been fearful that the expedition would leave without him. He sighed heavily as he relaxed and looked around at the small town around them, scratching the tangle of his dark beard as he did so.

"Ah... It's good to get started eh?"
[b]Putting the "Imp" in impassible since 2004[/b]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Realt was rather quiet still. It was still early and traffic in the port was low. A ship had come in the day before, the crew just starting to pick up their efforts to get it in shape for departure some time soon. This happened in the distance, seagull flying overhead, picking up leftovers from the breakfast of some sailors who had been eating breakfast on a couple of barrels by the dockside.

Aside from them, Motley and Morgan were the only two souls apparently on the streets at this time. Surely there were people in the inn, as a small plume of smoke rose from it's chimney, the smell of something being cooked hovering with it on the breeze.

The Explorer's Guild itself was quiet aswell. The door was opened though, perhaps to let in some fresh air, perhaps to indicate they were open for business.

All in all, the weather proved to be good for a trek into the jungle. Morgan's ward of insect repelling worked quite adequately, making him smell of citronella so badly that it was noticeable from quite a ways away. Even the gulls on the roof the the guild sought a better place to sit and watch the would be jungle explorers talk in the early morningtide sun of Sierra.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan doffed his own hat in a cheerful greeting to the ugly little man. "Motley! You haven't kept me. I've only been here a few burns, and in any case there should be others coming." At least, Morgan hoped that Becca was going to join them. Three was a good number for an expedition. If one of the party was hurt and couldn't continue on foot, then one of the remaining members could stay to look after them while the other went off for help. So Morgan had been told by his father when he went wandering in the Midlands of Dort, although back then it hadn't stopped him from rambling around on his own. Mind you, I reckon the Midlands is a good deal safer than this uncharted jungle we're about to trek into.

Or was it uncharted? That was one thing Morgan intended to check before they set off. If there were any serviceable maps to be had, they would certainly prove useful. All they had to go on otherwise was his imperfect replication of the subconscious scrawlings of a professor in a magickal haze. He unravelled the map and glanced at it. Good for showing unidentified energies, but less good at representing sudden precipices.

"It's a good feeling indeed." Truth was, after his little dance the night before, Morgan hadn't been feeling so jaunty for a while. The mission they were about to embark on was an intriguing one, and he was sure it would be a great way to revitalise his studies. He knelt down to show the map to Motley, with its three grey charcoal blotches. "This is the map that Professor Octava gave me. The grey areas indicate unidentified energies. It's likely that one of these three points is the island spirit, unless it's very good at hiding itself." He indicated the points with his spidery fingers and grinned. "I have no idea what the others are... but it'll be fascinating to try and find out." The young, eager, knowledge-hungry Morgan of older days was making his presence known. "I was just going to check with the Guild to see if they have any more useful maps of the terrain."

The magus knocked briskly on the ajar door, tentatively opening it a little wider. "Hello?" he called. "Is... er... Jamail there?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

"Glad to hear you aren't waiting on me."

Motley gave Morgan a wide, toothy grin, and then looked intently as the mage showed him the map he had of the island. As he studied the gray areas and tried to commit them to memory, he could not help but think of trying to find the other elemental spirits back in Roque d'Ancourt and unite them to save and free Angelica. He prayed to any God that would listen that this expedition would be a valuable training and learning experience towards that end.

"Starting at the center seems to be the logical choice for our first trek. I imagine the center of the island would be as good a place as any for a spirit to reside. Seems fitting that a spirit would have the most contact with the rest of the island if it resided in the center."

There was little apprehension or skepticism in the ugly little man. Perhaps once long ago, he would have found the idea of a spirit of an island as ridiculous. But after the terrifying ordeal in Dragonskeep, and the understanding of his own adopted daughter's existence, he now firmly believed that every place had a spirit, and every spirit could be reached. He talked to his dead grandmother Gwynneth personally, so he did not need convincing. He was a tried and true believer now.

As Morgan went inside to ask the Guild about any other maps that might exist, Motley caught his breath and waited for any of the others to arrive. Being out in the public eye would increase their chances of being found by the other members of the expedition.

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Just a flicker!" Morgan heard from the back as he entered the guild. Within, the single room was an odd mixture of library, workshop and den. To the left was a large desk with a slanted top. On it was a large parchment map of Sierra. Only the coastlines and the town were drafted with any details. The vast center of the map remained blank with a few scattered symbols near the town to denote discoveries. To the right was a workbench covered with tools and a preserved animal skin of some type drying over a rack. The back of the room contained a circle of chairs around a round table made from a thick slice of a giant tree trunk. The walls were decorated with the trophies from Sierran hunts, heads and skins of animals unknown on the other isles.

A few flickers later, a young man dressed in a brown robe appeared from the back . Morgan knew this to be the proprietor of the guild, Jamail. The youth of the man was apparent, but his eyes lit up with an innate intelligence that could not be surpassed or improved with age.

"Good morningtide. I'm Jamail, as you likely guessed. What can I do for you today traveler?"

---

Outside, Motley found himself subject to the odd look or two as people passed him on their way to the docks or elsewhere. Travelers coming to Réalt was not uncommon, but one such as Motley was. Aside from that the streets were still pretty much empty as the sun stayed on it's steady rise along the eastern sky.

OOC: Unsure if you'd met Jamail before, correct me if you did.
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Morg

Post by Morg »

"Ah - good morningtide." Morgan tilted his broad-brimmed hat respectfully, and winced as a whiff of citronella came back at him. It's fine to smell like this in the jungle, but going into people's homes... I need to fine-tune this ward a little. "My name is Morgan Scrylock, of the University," he began. "My companions and I have been sent on a mission into the jungle. The problem is... the only navigational guide we have for the area is this." He placed the crudely drawn energy map down onto the desk, fully expecting the guild's young proprietor either to laugh or to cry. Still... I imagine most would-be adventurers come here with even less idea what to expect.

"I was told that you might be able to provide us with a more useful map," the magus continued, glancing down at the half-drafted parchment. Although looking at what you have there, it's not going to be much more useful. The central area of that parchment is almost as empty as Etain's skull. "We're headed out into the centre, so... I'd appreciate any advice you could offer."
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley sat outside and waited patiently. His attention was largely focused on going through his pack and rearranging things yet again for their trek, but he greeted passersby with a warm smile and a word of salutation.

He rubbed his hands together in anticipation of getting underway, and as his mismatched eyes settled on his pipes, he took them out and set them aside. He closed up the straps on his knapsack and set it close as well.

He took up the pipes and began to softly play a jaunty traveling song, enjoying the catchy melody. He knew Morgan would be a bit in getting his maps, and there were others yet to come, so the ugly little man contented himself with his quiet tune and the warm sun.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"A map? Seems to be a lot of that going around these days." Jamail looked casually at the larger version of the Sierra map up on the wall and then walked over to a small cabinet to draw out a smaller piece of parchment. "So, what are you going to look for? Are you dragon hunting aswell, or are your tastes a bit more mundane than that?"

He handed over a copy of the map which hung on the wall. there was a bit more detail to this one. Pieces of the map had connotations to it. Several markings indicating structures of sorts roughly in conjunction with the energy nodes Morgan had been pointed towards.

"Funny really..." Jamail continued. "Yesterday there was a group in here, strange lot, right off the ship from Aveas, went out in the same direction. Just goes to show you how fickle explorers can be. First they go off just anywhere and the next lot all go in the same direction. You must tell me what you hope to find there really."

Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

From the sound of it, someone was running very quickly through Realt - not a usual situation for so early in the morning, especially when accompanied by breathless and frantic mutters of "Oh gods I'm late, they'd better not have gone without me -" - although for all intents and purposes no one appeared to be there.

Becca had been up most of the night earning the herbs and bandages in her backpack through working at the infirmary, and it had taken three cups of raise-the-dead-strength tea before she could remember WHY she was supposed to be up this morning, and why there was a bag packed with clothes, food and water - and the things she'd earned, of course - sitting on her desk. She was entitled to a few illusions to make sure no one could see her and suggest something else she could be doing.

The illusionist huffed in relief as she reached the Explorer's Guild, grinning and slowing to a walk as she spotted Motley sitting outside. If Motley was still here, then that meant they hadn't gone without her - not, she amended hastily, that she thought Morgan would ever do that. Just that if Motley was still here, then she couldn't be that late.

"Morning Mister Motley!" Becca chirped, dropping her bag onto the ground next to him before she remembered to actually drop the illusions as well so he could see her. She felt a little bad about interrupting his playing, but she wasn't sure how to treat him if she wasn't blathering mindlessly - she was more than a little convinced he was secretly a magical construct, after all. "Looking forwards to being eaten by a jungle?" She hesitated, glancing around them both quickly as she crouched next to him. "Have you seen Morgan anywhere?"
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

As he played, Motley tuned out much of the surroundings around him. At this time and place, all he needed was the song he played, and the gentle sound of it filled him completely.

As he played, his eyes fluttered open and from his low perspective, something quite ordinary and ubiquitous came into focus for him. It was a spider, spinning a web against the wall of the Explorer's Guild hut. It was a small thing, perhaps no larger than his thumbnail, and its web was a delicate construction of interlaced stands.

For a while he watched the spider as he played almost unconsciously, pondering over what an industrious and patient little creature it was, and how it was maligned and hated nearly everywhere. People feared and hated them, crushing them on sight, and brushing away their labors with brooms and mops without care for the effort that was put into it. For whatever reason, Motley suddenly found himself relating all too well to the little eight legged creature before him. Spiders were considered hideous little nuisances, and that was something the ugly little man related to rather closely. They were feared and shunned, and driven away on sight, as he had been nearly all of his life. Motley's tune continued on as he felt a new kinship with the insect, and now his song was for it and it alone.

If I ever have a standard of my own, it will have a spider, no six spiders on it. One for mother, one for Merel. One for Gerben, and one for father. Another for Angelica, and the last will be for me...

His thoughts were interrupted by the voice of Becca Acerbi. For a moment, he thought he'd misheard, perhaps mistaking her voice for a passerby on the gutted track of a road. But her sudden, surprising appearance a moment later proved her presence. He jumped a little when she appeared, clearly startled, and the note he was playing stopped sharply, forever interrupted. He took a deep breath to compose himself.

"Good Morning Miss Becca!" He beamed a crooked smile at her. "Nice to see you here. Well certainly, I have never before been eaten by a jungle and I think now is as good a time as any to rectify that." His jest brought another toothy grin as he looked up at her.

"Morgan is inside, checking for maps of the island. He should be out in a moment."

"And how are you? Are you ready?"
Last edited by Motley on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan liked this young man. He reminded him vaguely of himself. "Not dragon hunting, no, but not what you'd call mundane, either," he replied with a grin. "This version," he indicated the energy map he'd brought, "was drawn up during a scrying. It shows the strongest foci of unidentified energies on the island. Our job is to go out and investigate them." He made no mention of finding the spirit of the island; not because there was any obvious secrecy associated with the mission, but because Morgan was by nature very careful with the knowledge he dispensed. Knowledge, after all, was power.

He accepted the more detailed map with a nod of thanks. As he'd done for the energy map, he quickly wove a simple ward of waterproofing around it. Parchment wasn't the best medium for wards, but it also didn't always bear up well under the humid conditions of Sierra, and his sweaty hands could otherwise do damage to the finely traced lines of the map.

"Thanks. I don't know what we'll find," he replied honestly, "but if it's anything interesting, I'll be sure to let you know." He considered offering something in payment, but decided against it. Octava had said that the University had a standing order, and Morgan wasn't exactly rolling in money.

Once he'd taken his leave of Jamail and expressed his thanks once again, he made his way outside to rejoin the others, adjusting his wide-brimmed hat to shield the sun from his eyes.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca looked a little guilty when Motley jumped - and, quite surprisingly, actually felt it too, muttering apologies while she bobbed down to his level. She laughed cheerfully enough at his joke though - "Being eaten by jungles is easy. I think Morgan's done it enough times that he can get us lost pretty thoroughly." Although if he was getting maps, he might actually plan on getting them directly to where they were supposed to be, which was - quite an unexpected idea. Hm.

"I think so!" Becca chirped, holding out her arms to show off the waxed coat she'd managed to "borrow" - and it was borrowing because she'd give it back if it didn't go the way her clothes usually went, which was the end up alternatively blood-stained, ripped or used for bandages. "Well, I have a hat somewhere that I probably should be wearing, but apart from the hat and the conviction that we're all going to be eaten by trees I'm as ready as I'll ever be! And how about you? Are you going to be okay?" They hadn't invited Elvin along, so they'd probably be okay - if nothing else, they were a damn sight less likely to get into trouble.

When Morgan came out of the guild building, Becca bounced to her feet and saluted him cheerfully. "Morning boss, sorry I'm late!"
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

As Becca sat and seemed to settle in near him, he put his pipes back into his bag and gave a last, longing look towards the spider and its web. He smiled warmly at her jest in regards to Morgan and the jungles. He gave the woman a glance that was both knowing and inquisitive about her.

"I am glad you are here Becca. In a world full of ugliness and sober people, I find you oddly cheering and impulsive. The world would be a better place if more like you were in it."

Motley whistled appreciatively when she showed him her new coat.

"Lovely." He remarked quickly.

"Yes, I'll be fine. This wretched creature you see sitting before you is tougher than he looks. Hopefully I can be of more assistance than just some musical nuisance to you and Mister Scrylock."

As Morgan appeared, almost as if on cue, Motley climbed to his feet, albeit a bit more slowly than Becca had. He gave himself a once over, checking his straps and buckles and all of his gear as Becca and Morgan greeted one another. He knew they were old friends, who had been through a lot together, so he politely stayed quiet as they talked.

You can learn a great deal from these two... Let's pay attention, and keep all your senses sharp and alert. Prove your value, prove you belong in their midst...

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"One word of caution..." Jamail interjected before Morgan left the guild. "Those that came before you...they are a strange lot. They wield some kind of odd outlandish magick and didn't seem particularly friendly yesterday." His hand went to his shoulder as if rubbing a painful ache. "If you run into them, three women, some strange cloaked fellow and a tall white haired man, be careful. They did not seem like the types who'd appreciate being bothered."

With that he too said his goodbyes, which left Morgan outside where both Motley and Becca were just getting up to greet him.

OOC: I am not certain if you were any NPCs to join, if not then feel free to assume the party is complete.

Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

As Morgan and Becca greeted one another, Motley found himself in the unenviable position of having a different kind of nature calling. His trip through the portal had scrambled his innards and now with the soothing melody of music and the relaxation of not being late or last to the party, he suddenly found himself in the grips of the powerful urge to empty his bladder.

Not wanting to be too much of a burden, he snatched up his things with thoughts of returning as quickly as possible, so they could begin as soon as Morgan thought was prudent.

"If you will excuse me. I'll be right back."

He said to both of them, slightly embarrassed because he was certain they would know why he was leaving, and would wonder why he didn't take care of such a detail beforehand.

He stalked off into the jungle in no particular direction and with no real purpose other than a little privacy. After about a few hundred of his shorter than normal steps, he stopped and looked around. He could not see the Explorer's Guild hut any longer, and saw no one else around either. He unlaced his breeches and began to relieve himself on the leeward side of a tree, whistling a jaunty tune as he did so.

Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan waved away her apology, already in the process of wrapping his long arms around her in a citronella-scented hug. "Becca! We're in no rush. I have a map now, anyway," he spoke, disentangling himself from the girl and showing her the new parchment. "So there's nothing to stop us from setting off right away..."

No sooner had he spoken than Motley proved him wrong. The slender magus quirked an eyebrow, but said nothing. When you gotta go, you gotta go. He turned his attention back to the coat-wearing Becca, looking her up and down.

It occurred to him that he actually hadn't seen her for a while. Well, not for a day at least, which was a long time by his standards. First he'd been talking to Professor Octava, then hunting high and low for expedition gear, then there'd been his little jaunt to the Citadel the previous eveningtide. One could almost be forgiven for thinking that Morgan had lost interest in her... although the thought would only arise for someone who didn't really know Morgan that well. The young man always had a few plans, schemes and obsessions boiling over, and his attitude to others tended to depend on which was foremost in his mind. At least, he certainly would have been mortified if anyone had implied that his feelings for her had weakened.

Idly he kicked his heels together as he waited for Motley to return. "Been up to anything interesting?" he asked after a few flickers. "Or have you been doing paperwork for the Professor again?" Secret societies such as the Shadowstar were enormously appealing to Morgan, but they were more so when there were Netheric baddies to be fought than when there was correspondence to be dealt with.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Luckily for Motley, the jungle was not too far off, and finding a spot out of sight of the people going about their daily routine in Réalt was equally easy. To get from the University to the town, one would have to trek down a path which had been cut out by the mages and the inhabitants of the little expedition village in order to facilitate commerce. To both sides of that path was jungle, which was different from actually being immersed in it.

Even the short distance in, Motley already felt different. He could sense the jungle wrapping itself around him like a living entity embracing who ever ventured amidst it's vibrant branches. Réalt was only a few steps away, yet out of sight it might as well have been two or three days removed. The crushing heat of the rising sun never left the confines of the jungle as the dense foliage and massive humidity weighed down on the little man even as he relieved himself.

---

Morgan and Becca remained behind at the guild. Motley had disappeared into the foliage only a short ways away, clearly visible from where they stood.

Then...Morgan sensed something. Even before he thought he saw a figure rush through the foliage towards where Motley had entered. Some kind of energy played with his senses, a distinct feeling drawn from the jungle itself.

---

Motley was about finished when he shifted his footing to tie his breeches closed again. A distinct "click" could be heard as he set down his left foot.

Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca kissed Morgan quickly as he hugged her, beaming at him even as she wrinkled her nose at the unfamiliar smell. "I was trying to show some respect - I thought you'd be pleased, it's more than I ever give Mister Motricé." She let him disentangle himself with some reluctance, but looked suitably impressed when he showed her the map. "If I didn't know any better, Morgan, I'd say you're trying to be organised about this!" Becca hesitated, looking slightly bemused. "I... I don't think we've ever done that before, have we?"

Becca still looked confused when Motley said he was going - the obvious conclusion occured to her, along with the equally obvious "... But why would anyone make a magical construct that could do THAT?" - but waved a hand after him cheerfully enough. When she turned back to Morgan, she blushed slightly, and spun around to show off her coat.

"That depends on your definition of interesting," Becca told him, toying with the chain for her amulet while she returned the scrutiny. "Does spending the whole night in the infirmary count as interesting? And of course I've been doing Himself's paperwork - I wouldn't trust him with it if my life depended on it. Hell, I wouldn't trust him if your life depended on it!" She huffed, no real annoyance in her words - the illusionist was just getting back into the habit of grousing about Elvin after so long pretending he didn't exist and the letters she was dealing with just appeared by magic. It could happen. And speaking of magic - "I'm impressed with the outfit by the way," Becca grinned, catching at the front of Morgan's coat. "Although I'm not sure it really matches whatever flower you're supposed to smell like."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan stayed contentedly quiet while Becca spoke. After being away from her for a short while, it made him happy just to listen to her banter. But as she grasped the front of his coat, Morgan tensed. Something strange was happening in his attuned Aetheric sight - and then in his real sight, too. Someone seemed to rush across his vision.

"Something's wrong," he stated, pulling away and glancing swiftly from side to side as he tried to place the strange energy that was playing with his senses. "And I think I saw someone heading towards where Motley went. I think we should check he's okay." Centring himself, he concentrated on strengthening his shield, closing the entryways by which hostile magick could affect him, before heading cautiously in the direction he'd seen Motley depart. He had no idea what was going on, but his intuition was that it didn't bode well.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The magick Morgan felt did not appear hostile at all. Upon closer inspection, as they approached the place where he had seen the figure rush towards Motley's location, both him and Becca could clearly make out a very faint and fairly neutral energy which seemed to be very localized.

As he walked he could see another figure rush through the underbrush, swiftly and unhindered by plantlife and other obstacles it seemed. And then another. All of them in a straight line, all of them the same way. And all of them seemed to be rather similar in size and appearance. They had a vaguely humanoid shape, though it was difficult to make out, even as they approached.

Just as they came in range of where Motley should be, a grinding of stone could be heard, and the energy signature was gone. Just like that, the magick he had sensed before had just up and vanished.

It would not take long to find the exact spot where Motley had taken his leave. It was clear something had happened here as branches and twigs were snapped and broken. A smell of urine from one corner lingered as they stepped onto the scene of the small man's disappearance.

Morg

Post by Morg »

"What in the Nether...?" The energy he sensed wasn't hostile or unsettling, but the situation certainly was. Unknown figures... three of them... not at all troubled by the difficult terrain, but at the same time making no great effort to conceal themselves. In his centred state it was almost second nature for Morgan to reach for strands of Air energy, which he interwove with his voice as he cried out after the dashing figures. "Hey! Wait!"

The smell of urine was just about enough to penetrate through Morgan's citronella-ward as he reached the spot Motley had chosen. He was no tracker, but he knelt down nevertheless to search for any sign of which way the small man had gone. All the indications were that he'd just vanished without a trace... which was out of the ordinary even for Sierra. "Bugger," he cursed. "What a great start to the expedition this is turning out to be." The young magus turned to glance up at Becca. "What do we do now?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Though Morgan's voice was certainly loud enough to be heard, there was no reaction from the jungle or the creatures that lived within it. Kneeling down where Motley had been, Morgan saw a round slab of stone at the bottom of a shallow hole in the earth. Looking with his Aether eyes, Morgan could tell there was air beyond it, a tunnel sloping downward into the earth though he could not tell how far. The stone slab had faint traces of force energy among the stone as though it had recently been moved by magick.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Great. All the signs seemed to point to Motley disappearing down a hole in the ground, into an unknown tunnel. The use of force energy indicated further that there was a third party involved, as it didn't seem characteristic of the Motley himself. Morgan had to bite his lip in frustration as he spoke to Becca. "It looks like Motley's fallen into some sort of trap. There's a tunnel down there that seems to go on forever."

That left them with several options. One: they could explore the tunnel. This was possibly the least attractive option, as they didn't know where it led; for all they knew, it could lead to a pool of molten lava. Furthermore, it hadn't escaped his notice that Motley was considerably smaller than either of them. A tunnel that could house the stunted man might prove too narrow for Morgan's broad shoulders or even for Becca, and could lead to their becoming embarrassingly wedged.

Their second option was to follow the fleeing figures. All Morgan was currently armed with was a vague direction in which he had seen them disappear, and he didn't know for certain that they were even connected to the trap. Still, it seemed a more promising avenue than jumping into a hole in the ground.

Settling on his knees on what he hoped was a solid patch of earth, Morgan closed his eyes and attempted to enter a meditative state. He'd seen Professor Moore locate the Changer while in a trance, and the weave he was about to try was little different. The Aether sight was familiar to him from a yahren of practice, and he knew that in theory distance was no obstacle to the wielding of magick. All he had to do was locate the energy of what constituted his own perception, independently of his body, and project it in the direction he'd seen the three figures depart. He had no wish to stray too far from his own body during the scrying - just far enough to get an idea of the energy signatures of the mysterious creatures, and to establish their general trajectory.

As he did so, the third option ran through his mind. If they continued on their original mission and located the spirit of the island, they could simply petition it for Motley's release. If it was significant enough to power the University's wards - as Octava seemed to think - then it would be able to return the little man to them, assuming he was still within its domain.

The thought didn't occupy Morgan for long, as within his meditative cocoon he was trying to concentrate on the most difficult piece of magick he'd ever performed, scrying for the fleeing humanoids.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As Morgan searched for remnants of the path the figures had taken, his perception showed him something quite different than he had expected. As he shifted his vision into the energies of the island, focussing on his memory of the figures he'd seen, he caught sight of a distinctive trace of force energy which ran in a straight line from roughly ten meters to the left of their current position to right where they were now, the hole in the ground. That was where the signature energy stopped and dissapated entirely.

But as his thoughts meandered over to the spirit of the island, and the potential stickyness of the tunnel situation, he caught sight of something else. Thoughts lingering in his mind seemed to pollute his search trajectory somewhat as he felt his eyes suddenly hovering through darkness, a flash of light appearing, a burst of energy which appeared to be below ground and somewhere north of them.

And eyes...

There were other eyes watching this energy.

Return to “Triangle Islands”