[UofM] In the pages of the past. 31th very early trade tide

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Falco
Civus

[UofM] In the pages of the past. 31th very early trade tide

Post by Falco »

Falcos, room A simple room with a warded window a single small bed with a Large carved desk that seems to be lost under the mounds of scrolls and tomes. Off to the side hidden behind the plant life that seems to fill his room other then the paths that let him move about his room there is a book stand, along the wall that teams with books, standing behind a soft glowing ward to protect the books from the damp air and any hand may want to snoop. The desk from what can be seen is quit lovely the age of the wood is easily seen, long ago being carved by a careful hand. The room it's self is hot and moist the air matching the jungles,

Opening the door to his door Falco gives a small stretch. “It is getting late .” He thinks to him self gazing out into the darkness that invades his room from the window. Stepping in to the room a small smile flicks across his lips as the warms and dampness of this room hit him. Looking around room for a moment before letting him self slip into the flows of energy taking a delicate weave of fire touching off the lamps in his room bring it to a nice orange glow. Laying this staff on the bed flowed a few moment latter this clothing. Rooting around in his drawer a few moments he smiles slowly slipping this Black robe out more so to the fact that is seems to be warmer then his red robe.

Making his way across the room flowing the path between the plants. Stopping at a dark green fern, a soft smiles crosses his lips he makes his way over to the window coming back with the pail of water. Adding some to the soil before walking the bucket back to the window. Looking around a moment at this other plants he gives a nod to him self the room feeling right. Before carrying on his way to the book stand in the corner. Shutting this eye's for a moment letting the strings of energy come alive before him yet again, with a pleasant sigh weaving them quickly into the wards before reaching slowly taking 4 books off the shelf, before taking a little black book hidden from view. With careful and loving embrace Falco slowly lifts it from the back of his shelf careful of the old and very deli cit pages Laying it down upon this desk. Taking and extra candle he dips it's wick in to the flame of a burning one, sitting it down in holder. Walking over to the side of room picking up a couple beach stones he looks over them again for a moment. Setting a few down on the floor he smiles placing a small smooth one upon his desk. Walking back over to his samples from the jungle he smiles slowly starting his search for a suitable writing stick.

Pushing the branching back on one of the trees the corner of his lips lift with a small sparkle in this eye before reaching into the bush and gently breaking a slender long branch off slowly going over it before giving a sigh as. Oh I got to get out and do more walking. He thinks to him self with a bit of amusement. Tramping though the jungle was great though now that he does not go out as often, standing up his back being sure to let him know it is still there and needs a stretch. With that he sits down opening his book with a smile setting the writing tool just above the book he smiles and start to read again, seeing if he forgot anything for that start of his 1st cast.
Last edited by Falco on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Please alter the title to have [UofM] at the front and add a timestamp for the thread.

Ask the Univeristy council about rune crafting, and they will lament how it is a dying art outside of the land of Trothgard. The minions of the Ice Queen zealously guard those secrets and it is said that swift death come to those with the forbidden knowledge. As such, no one would admit to having knowledge of rune scribing though each professor suspected that a few of the others knew the art. Professor Moore was the front runner considering all of the inscribed wards of his.

This made Falco's discovery all the more exciting. During the rebuilding of the University, Falco discovered a crack in one of the interior walls. Investigation showed it to be a shallow alcove that was bricked over with an alchemical mortar that made the wall seem normal even to Aetheric sight. The alcove had been full of books and scrolls but at some point they had become damaged by water. Most of them were a sodden mess. The little black book was one of the few survivors.

The left half of the book was in the runic Trothgardian script written in a blood based ink of some kind. The right half was written in an odd dialect of adhiel and it translated the left half of the book. The first lesson was that the Trothgard runes used for ordinary writing and those used to work magic were largely the same runes. The trick was learning how to properly combine them into phrases of power and then how to properly arrange that phrase to contain the energy needd to power the rune. Once that work was done, laying down energy into the rune was comparatively simple. The book then went on to give several sample runes of protection and discussion on how the phrases were worked out.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Looking at the scrips on both side of the book Falco sighs to him self softly I hope the person who translated this work was as careful as I would be. He think to him self looking and the ancient Trothgardian scrip. Moving over to the strange dialect of adiel it is old Falco thinks to him self. Understandable though time intensive. Looking around this desk looking for his notes.

"Blast! I know it is somewhere here... Oh there.". he trails off to him self taking, one of his many note books out he smiles softly. One can never have to many books" Laying it down on the desk beside his black Book. Sitting down again He slowly start to read from the black book again, it has taken him a long time to even start to under stand the old script. Well understand is an over statement more like peace together. What some of the symbols mean. Earth fire wind water spirit. they are the ones he has memorized. though that is his problem he thinks to him self. I know the symbols now though depending upon there use they join differently and sometimes not at all.

Placing the stone on the desk he looks over it before looking back to is book. Reading on he gets to triggers they can be simple or complex he reads on slowly. From exposing the text to runes to an element too exposing them to a chain of events can be added at the higher levels of knowledge though be very mindful that the unlearned do not strive to greatly for the knowledge for the runes can trap the essence of the scribe in to there casting until they are destroyed. That part always gave Falco a pause how much was to much how much would pull him in and what did it mean by his essence his life his soul? or would he be fatigued until the rune casting ran its course?... Sometimes text does not always have the answers he thinks to him self with a little bit of amusement.

Reading he started to scan the pages attempting to figure out how do to a simple scribing something that a child could do, Looking for something with fire within the casting, it was his strongest element though would that be the same in casting? All answers unknown to him. Though there were a few within the school that the whispers pointed out about knowing the art, though he would have better grounding to ask for advice if he went to them with a working casting something that they would have to look at and belive. Though Falco knew it would he a hard pill to swallow though it could turn in to a fatal one if he did not. He had went to Professor Moore once asking to be shown how, though he was brushed off as a fool for wanting to know something like that though Falco figured if he gave him something tangible it might open his eye's or would send Falco back in to the tombs looking for more on casting alone though if figured it was the curse of looking up what most saw as silly scribbles or a long dead magic. Though he also saw the great advantages of it as well.[/i]
Last edited by Falco on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

The little book, as far as Falco could tell at least, did not detail the crafting of specific runes to do with fire or the elements directly. There were a few basic examples that were used commonly to ward houses against evil or ill will, and several notes on how to scribe the phrases needed to empower these runes in a said place.

As Falco's reading progressed, he would not help but notice that this particular book closely held to the Trothgard language as a basis for the scribing, meaning that, to successfully scribe a rune of power, one would have to do so in Trothgard phrases and runes. There was no direct mention of applications of this art in any other language aside from runic, aside from a footnote on one of the final pages that attempts to scribe runes using phrases of power or spells from the more classical magick teachings had met with sometimes catastrophic failure.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Return to “Triangle Islands”