In Search of the University - Chyril 27th, MT

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val takes hold of Ketch’s hand and picks herself up. With her free hand she brushes her tears away. Out of the corner of her eye she sees a flicker of something…wrong. The brick that wasn’t there was suddenly there? Or had it been there all along? She couldn’t be sure. Somehow this interruption of the normalcy of regular, everyday bricks disturbed her nerves more than the freaky fire monster ever did. Valya resolved to stay quiet and stay close from now on. She did not let go of Ketch’s hand as they continued on.
It's such a sad old feeling
the fields are soft and green,
it's memories that I'm stealing
but you're innocent when you dream. - Tom Waits
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The being listened to Ssinith calm now, and the flames seemed to nod at his suggestion. When the hissing voice came again, it was much clearer, and easier to understand. "They burn.... They die.... Suffer.... Together...." Stepping closer, the heat again rising around the adhiel mage, the creature thrust the right hand into its own chest with an angry hiss, and drew what looked like a chunk of molten rock. It was much more that a simple piece of molten rock, its removal making the flames around the creature recede, enabling Ssinith to see its shape, that of a thin humanoid with glowing eyes and ashen grey skin criss-crossed by numerous red veins. It let go of the molten rock, leaving it to hover in the air, stepping back once more, as the rock's surface swirled like a miniature sun. Pointing towards the lever on the opposite wall it spoke, the voice sounding like a scrape of rock against gravel. "Pull.... Free heart..... Make hard....... Me free.... But when need...... Crush heart and I come......."

Despite her best efforts, Valya found it impossible to keep hold of Ketch's hand, the thief's nimble fingers slipping away soon after he helped her up, though he did glance over his shoulder to give her an encouraging smile. Soon they reached an intersection and without waiting to consult them, Ketch turned left, leading the way towards what looked like a looming cave some twenty pace ahead. At this angle the rain drops reached the ground, their feet churning the mud, making splashing noises. Into the cave Ketch went, and it was soon obvious the passage lead lower, deeper underground.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

As the humanoid form was shaped, he began to realize that this creature may not have been an elemental as he had thought. What had happened to this poor fool? S'sinith had seen Netheric energy before! How could this creature put out so much elemental energy and still be a demon?! S'sinith's blood ran cold despite the heat around him as he slightly cursed himself... but this was the only way to prevent this creature from running amok on the surface.

He turned his eyes away in pain... be this creature a demon or an elemental, there was no other safe alternative. He could only hope that the seven mages would be able to fend off the onslaught with their combined experience. He let out a couple of huffs, trying to hold back tears. He spoke softly, breathing hard.

[Human]

"Molten, my god. Molten always my god. I give you revenge ... because I worship lava. I give you Molten blessing before I pull. He is also fire and lava... okay? Three against seven... better burn. "

He would never worship a demon, but he would be damned before this creature ran amok should the battle not sway in favor of his plans. Molten was no doubt the greater flame of these two powers. This would be an ultimate test of power for the mages with his former mentor. He gave a mental prayer before hearing the creature's response. Surely a demon would not be blessed by another god.

Molten, you know my heart... tests and tribulations make us stronger. If this creature is, indeed, a creature of the flame... those mages need to learn how to respect sentient energy be they god or elemental. If I have been deceived... I trust that you will not allow my life to be taken so I can learn from this grave error. Mercy is a double-edged sword, master... that lesson has made me stronger. Please, let me live through this to learn more...
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val followed Ketch as he led them down the passage. She shivered and hiccupped, trying to be as brave as her yellow-bellied nature would allow. How did he know this place so well? She glanced at Thierian but supposed she could coax no conversation out of that particular stone. She pulled up her hood and hugged her cloak tightly around herself. She felt chilled as she entered the cave and glanced around uneasily. “Hope you ‘ent a Groach in disguise…” Val muttered to herself as she stare at Ketch’s back. “Leading us down here to suck all our blood out and leave our empty husks where no one will find them. Or, what if we find a Minotaur? Don’t they live underground?” She chewed on her knuckle, perplexed. “Or is it in mountains? Mountaintoaur? Can you tame them with cakes? Or is that hellhounds?” Questions, questions indeed.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Speak plain.... Not mock me....." The fiery creature moved closer to Ssinith and the fiery stone in the mage's hand grew hotter, prickling his skin even through Molten's protective shield. Its eyes lit up, the smoldering coals turning into white hot embers. "You help.... Molten help..... Captors die.... If captors die you free of bond.... No bond on Molten.....He help... He no help... Don't matter....." The creature did not pull back, the blessing of Molten obviously not important to it right now, as long as the bond it had formed with Ssinith held. It held firm throughout the blessing, showing no outward reaction to the power of the god. It did query once the act had been done. "Extinguish the heart..... Give me freedom.... Remember the pact......."

In all her questions, Valya failed to notice that Ketch had stopped a few steps inside the cave mouth, the girl impacting with his behind, causing the nimble thief to look over his shoulder and grin. "Hey, now. No groping of my butt. Not until you have bought me a drink." He pointed into the darkness far ahead, and after a few flickers both Thierian and Valya could see a dot of light before them. "Look. There is some light there. Pity nobody is down here." His smile and the tone of his voice suggested he did not regret that particular bit too much. He led the way forward and a few burns later the light they saw from the distance grew into a doorway and then a rather large, domed underground chamber. Ketch paused before they stepped into the circle of light made by an array of large luminescent gems that hung along the walls and was just about to utter something when an arch in the middle of the room flickered to life, the air within it becoming a silvery, shimmering surface and from it emerged an ancient looking man, his beard reaching almost past his knees. Admittedly it was not such a feat, since he was barely a bit over four feet tall. From behind Valya Thierian placed his hand on her shoulder and held her in place, his other hand holding a long, curved saber. Ketch as well drew a weapon, a long thin dagger materializing in his hand, his arm pulled back ready to set it to flight.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinth winced and grit his teeth at the burning pain. Maybe there was a way to make them physically dead and revive them shortly after? He really didn't want to kill these men. If they died, they would never learn. The problem would be, however, how much power would it take for them to learn from their ways? Would he with this creature have enough power to make a dent if he didn't hold back?

Not likely.

No, he would have to put everything he had into this battle. All of his knowledge and careful planning had to be placed because he knew the cunning of these seven, particularly Durell.

S'sinith clenched his burned fist and at last resigned his apprehension. He would give this creature his stand and trust Molten that he would not let him die.

[Human]

"When fight set up, I give you your chance for revenge. It may take time. They all strong... you stay calm and no attack others until then. Until then, stay with me, Ancient One."

S'sinith looked at the switch and nodded to himself. This was right. It hurt his heart to even attempt to harm such learned men, but knowledge did not mean respect. As a priest, he had realized the closeness of Molten and this creature was a being of energy. Such powers were not to be abused. Taking steps over to the crank, he looked at the creature in it's infernal eyes, his seared hand on the pull.

[Human]

"Molten... you are rage... you are power... you are fire. Feel the heart of this kindred creature! Energy is in all things and not something to be merely be wielded but also respected. Those who have held this ancient one captive must take responsibility for their foolishness! Even..."

He lowered his head, sighing, his heart hurting at the fact that he would face one of his teachers.

"Even if one of them... taught me how to use my power... Knowing you, energy is not a mere object!"

His hands trembled as he pulled down on the crank and turned to the elemental, walking towards the lava heart and the creature. His heart was deeply pained, but he truly felt that this was the right thing to do. Keeping his shields up he looked the creature dead in the eyes, even if it would pain him.

[Human]

"Durell... was my teacher. If he truly tortured you... then I will take this responsibility. I will give it everything I got... because my god will not allow me to do otherwise. I must have time to prepare this battle."

He reached out to the molten heart with his charred hand, ready to accept the creatures side of the bargain to reside in the heart and somewhat behave himself.

[Human]

"Please... tell me your name. We will be in this for awhile."
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val threw her offending hands into the air. “Oh! Och, what!? You’d have to buy me a drink to get me to…Not that I would! Do that. I mean…” Val sputtered and muttered herself out, backing up a few steps. She followed the men along, her eyes darting every which way. I wonder what-all they did down here. And how they made it. And who they were. Valya shivered; suddenly feeling like the place was a crypt, so silent and deserted under the city.

The light from the gems glittered darkly in the wide reflection of her eyes. Her hands, of course, itched to touch and explore the hanging riches but she was still mindful of Ketch’s warning. Suddenly, the old man appeared and if it hadn’t been for Thierian’s hand she would have leapt six feet straight into the air. “Ooooohhhh…” she hummed low in her throat, the sound school children make when someone gets caught by the teacher. She scrabbled instinctively for her own little dagger but she didn’t dare draw it. In it’s time it had cut more apples than people, after all.
Last edited by Valya Nix on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Valya's stutters clearly amused Ketch, as was evidenced by his chuckle and a grin her flashed at her, followed closely by a wink. "Sure, sure. I understand. You don't like how my butt feels. I'm not your type." He was clearly teasing and then he was too busy with the new arrival, the sight giving someone with knowledge of tactics ample information about the small group. Both Ketch and Thierian adapted quickly, with Ketch advancing warily forward, smiling, his dagger concealed and pressed against the forearm. Where Ketch was a loner, Thierian was aware of the other man and moved to the side, trying to spread the man's attention. "Good morning, sir. We fell through the cobbles and are looking for a way out of this maze. Can you direct us to the nearest exit?" Ketch's smile was so very sweet and polite, the young man straightening his back, though Valya could see the tension in his shoulders, the man ready to spring forward if need be.

The skin of the creature started to harden, every passing flicker cooling its body, what motions it made coming with a grinding noise, bits of stone breaking from the surface of its skin. "Prison.... They keep here..... Watch.... Use..... Touch...... They keep Xandar here.... Poke..... They stay study..... It huuuuuuuurts........" Even as the creature spoke the grinding noise became more pronounced, the words coming out slower as it hardened anew. Soon only its eyes were bright, the fiery veins across its skin disappearing, as the heart pulsed in Ssinith's hands. The crank had listed the bars and now he could approach the creature, and the heart it pulled from its chest.

The dwarf, since the short and stout man was not a midget, but a member of the underground race of smiths and miners peered at the interlopers and coughed, his hands moving to stroke the long white beard. "Ehrm, yes. Exit's back the way you came. Just press forward and you'll come to stairs leading up into the Spire of Enchantments. Who let you in anyhow? You could have gotten hurt." He glanced at them from under bushy brows. "You did not touch anything? My research is very sensitive and some of my experiments are dangerous. Storing energy and spells in gems can be volatile."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

[Human]

"Xandar... it will take time... and much planning."

Walking over he would take the molten heart into his hands with his shields up. He wondered how he would get the creature himself out of here... he had thought the entire being would be placed inside the heart, unless this was some sort of shell not unlike an insect leaving a cocoon. His hands still stung, but he had much work to do politically to weasel his way on the good side of the University before this fight could take place.

[Human]

"But we will have that fight. We are outnumbered, and at this point in time, out powered. All we have is that fire... a fire that we both need to feed."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val’s left hand migrated to her hip as she raised her right, fore finger extended in full lecture mode. Luckily for all, the dwarf superseded her attention. If, indeed, someone had been watching Valya, her actions might seem…conflicted, at best. First, she fell back as if to run, cowardly creature that she was. Then she bobbed forward so as not to miss what was being said, putting her hand out to catch the back of Ketch’s shirt like a child afraid of being left behind. At the last minute she noted the tension held in his shoulders and thought better of holding onto him. Instead, she brought her hand to reside, knuckle first, in her mouth.

“Ooh, no one let us in…we fell right through, like he said.” Valya piped out in an unusually high pitched voice. “Indeed, someone had better have a look at the structural supports, you know, you seem to be quite remiss in your…renovations.” She giggled helplessly, knowing that her outburst was likely to draw Thierian’s displeasure, at least. He didn’t seem one for much foolishness. What a pity.

“And we didn’t touch anything, goodness, no. He,” Valya motioned at Ketch, “why, he told me under no uncertain terms that I had better not. Although…” she tries, and fails, to suppress a hopeful smile, “I think they’re right lovely…like nothing I’ve ever seen.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The heart was strangely cool to the touch, the flames a mere light-show on the surface of a beautiful, enormous, uncut gem. The moment Ssinith touched the stone, the creature moved one last time and uttered a single word. “Vengeance.” It fell silent, and from the looks of it would not be able to move again, its skin hardened into a stone. It was in the hallway when the droplets of rain touched the gem that things were set in motion. Each droplet of rain doused the cool flames from the gem, and as they receded dull thumps could be heard from the chamber the adhiel mage left. Were he to return he would find the creature’s body crumbled to pieces, slowly turning into dust as the fire disappeared. All that was left in the end was a fist-sized orange gem, its surface rough and uneven.

The dwarf appeared unaware that the University was no longer there, and nobody offered such information to him. He did snort at Valya’s words, though it was in approval, rather than distaste. “Lovely indeed. But it is not the beauty that makes them special. It is what I put in them. Each gem can store a spell and keep it powered indefinitely through refracted light moving through it. Imagine a cup that is ever full of water drawn from the purest spring there is, the very source of water element itself in the Aether.” He caught himself then and coughed. “So, please don’t touch anything or you could get hurt. Some of the spells I stored are dangerous. And you still did not tell me who let you in. I swear the University has deteriorated over the yahren if just about anyone can traise through the hallways so close to the vaults.” Ketch’s shoulders stiffened again at the mention of vaults, though he did not move. “Nobody let us in. We came to investigate the disappearance of the University and fell through the cobbles.” The dwarf looked up in shock. “What did you say?”
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

His curiousity got the best of him as he checked one last time on the body, hoping not to leave any evidence behind. Seeing the gem, he bit his lip slightly, knowing that the gem could theoreticly be considered treasure. Thinking it would be more dangerous to leave the 'body' there, he took the second gem into his burned hand and stuffed it into his billowing robes. Placing both gems in his robes, he slowly made his way back down the hall.

He decided to play up his burns a little, considering the massive energy it would have taken to seal away such a being. As he rounded the corner, he coughed as he leaned against the wall, hearing the last exchange between Ketch and the Dwarf.

[Human]

"Yes... the university is gone... I came down here to investigate what had happened, and knew I couldn't... come alone. It raised into the sky and went... who knows where. Come down the hall with us to see for yourself..."

S'sinith coughed and held his newly scorched arm.

[Human]

"... I'm glad I did... there was a fire elemental ready to break free and attack the city in its rage. If it hadn't have started raining I... don't think I could have stopped it."

He mentally assured Xandar, knowing there was a connection. The two before him had seen what had happened with their own eyes and he had to give an excuse. He clenched his fist to hide the jewel in it, but knew if this Dwarf knew magic, he would wonder how he stopped it.

He was tired and in pain, but he made it look worse than it was. Leaning against the wall, he looked over to the Dwarf with tired eyes.

[Human]

"Forgive me for bringing them here, but I feared... my bodyguard and I would not be enough if something terrible was down here. Citadel is known for a demonic attack or two... I had no idea what caused the University to disappear. One of my teachers from my homeland works at the University... I panicked to find the cause."

It was half-truth. He could say that Ketch had no idea he was out to pick a pocket because they offered assistance and he took it.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Sorry about the confusion. The gem is actually the heart Ssinith was given and it has grown inert as the creature “died”

Seeing how the gem was actually the creatures heart that it had given to Ssinith he had every right to keep it, even though the consequences of such an action would hound him in the future. The dwarf on his part did not look terribly concerned with the news, merely arching a bushy brow at the mention of elemental and its defeat. The disappearance of the University clearly confused him much more. “Gone you say? Well, that will simply not do.” He turned towards one of the tables and then back at them. “I think you should best go. It is dangerous to traipse around here as you can hear from him. Those steps will take you out. Now, if you’ll excuse me I have to find where the University is. Anything that could move it away must have been powerful. Now, shoo.” As the dwarf turned, Ketch’s hand lanced out faster than the eye could follow and swiped a large, green jewel from the table. Where it went was anybody’s guess, but the thief looked as if had been just standing there looking cute. “Well, I guess we should do as the mage there says and leave. I don’t wanna get hurt.” He made his way towards the stairs, inching towards another table upon which a plethora of gems rested.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith had to turn a blind eye which was not hard to do, pretending to wince at his new burns. He knew he had traded one bad thing for another... that creature would have wreaked havoc on the world outside. He could have left it be... perhaps the rain would have killed it completely.

There were too many chances involved if it escaped, however. It would weigh on S'sinith heart for years to come, this much he knew. Still, even if the creature was trapped down there for good intent, it was a sentient being which was being experimented on and put through much pain. Did these wizards truly believe that he was nothing more than energy?

His own heart was heavy as he went back where they came from, wondering if he had done the right thing in his terror that many would be killed if he did nothing.

The price of mercy... was a high one indeed.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val looked at the gems with renewed respect. What had the dwarf said? Were they full of water, or something? She was kind of thirsty. Wait, had her mind been wandering again?

“Does that mean I can’t have one?” Gee, that sounded rather bold. She coughed softly and tried to rephrase. “I mean…can I please have one? Not a dangerous one, like, but perhaps the one full of water?” Valya shifted her weight from heel to heel, growing increasingly antsy as it became clear that meeting the dwarf was perhaps the end of her adventure and she had made no strides in finding out what had happened to the University. “I mean, I do hope you find out where this place has gone and, oh, I suppose the news will get around…”

Her eye was caught by the flash of action over on Ketch’s end but she couldn’t figure what he had done. As all the excitement drained out of her she suddenly felt rather tired, grimy, and her various bruises were making themselves know. She trailed along after Ketch looking petulant and sad.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The dwarf called from behind a desk at Valya’s question. “Please just leave and don’t touch anything. I am too busy to be bothered.” As they left Ketch lashed out two more times and then led the merry band out of the room and towards the stairs that saw them safely out and into the gloomy light of the rainy morning. After all was said and done he produced a small bag filled with gems and shared it with the others, giving Valya a large uncut aquamarine that just about fit in her fist. “There ya go. Not sure if it is filled with water, but that should just about be your share.” Ssinith and even Thierian were given their share, provided they wanted it. Even though he did most of the work and took all the risk, fair was fair and even though none of the gems were magickal in nature like some others they have seen in the underground chamber, they would be worth a pretty banner with any merchant.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith was tired and tried to bring up his aetheric gaze one last time to see if the gems had any magical properties before they were handed out. In order to honestly say that he didn't know about things, he couldn't take the gems.

[Human]

"I wasn't in it for the petty loot... you did, however, give me a true test of my magic and may have prevented a calamity to the city from this adventure. Besides, I can not leave much evidence on this little venture of mine. I have stock in Hadvin's Oddities. Thank me by selling your share there first."

And that way, the University has a chance of getting those back...

S'sinith paused for a moment, thinking about the status of Citadel. Having an insider on the dark side of Citadel would truly be a prize. If he used his own contacts to build him up, he could have some underground use for a spy network.

[Human]

"Tell me, Ketch. Are you still interested in Scha'mur? As an Ambassador of Gulanadur, it is my duty to ensure the power of my nation with the Empire. To have a human contact to the underworld would prove quite useful."

Granted this was a sinister move, but Lady Vlast had mentioned in favor of using a lesser evil in order to restore order. If the Army of the Ascent couldn't quell all the criminal faction, then perhaps throwing in the Scha'mur at what they do best would at least slaughter the competition enough to make it manageable around Citadel.
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

“Oh! Was that what you were doing?” Valya held the stone in her two cupped hands staring at it with fascination. “Goodness, you’re rather good at that…” She twisted her hands back and forth, back and forth, watching the light blink and move in the stone. She glanced up and smiled her thanks shyly. Listening to Sin’s speech she holds the aquamarine a little closer and mutters, “I won’t be selling mine, not for anything…”

As the two men went on talking about things that obviously didn't concern her, Valya went back to examining her stone, occasionally sneaking looks at Ketch from the corner of her eye. She felt sure that no one at home would feel that he was an appropriate new friend for her but she found him excruciatingly interesting. He seemed, to her young eyes, to know something about everything. Why, how he ever had the chutzpah to snatch up those gems she couldn’t imagine. And he had given her one of her very own, despite her amazing uselessness. She ran a thumb over a clear blue faucet. How lovely.
Last edited by Valya Nix on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Petty loot? Well, excuse me, but not all of us are fancy pants Ambassadors. This is enough loot to let me live for at least two or three months, if not more.” Of course he did not need to mention that he had enough cash stashed to last him at least two or three thousand months, but it was besides the point. It was not Ketch’s problem he was so good at what he was doing. “And yeah, sure I am interested. And I am also sure I know a few nice people who would be interested as well. I’ll treat your boys and girls well have no worry of that. Profit all around. Even a percentage for you should you change your mind.” He grinned and reached to close Valya’s hand around the jewel. “Hide it, hun. At least for a couple of days. By then the people will stop looking for it.”

OOC: I think we can close it here, since the Sha’mur thing was discussed in your Recess. I’ll add the stone to your inventory later Val.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"With as fast as you picked up those jewels, I assumed it was petty loot for yourself as well." S'sinith replied with a wink.

((Yup))

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Valya felt a larger hand close over hers. She looked up. “Oh, yes. I’ll do just that. I’ll keep it somewhere safe.” Val put the Aquamarine away in a pocket under her cloak. She looked back up at the men and scuffed one foot slowly over the paving stones. “Well. I suppose I should be getting back to the Dragon, I, uh…well. I suspect I had better try to not fall through any more streets today. Once is quite enough.”

Ooc: Sounds good to me.
Last edited by Valya Nix on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Yeah, well, I don't do that too often, lest people become too careful." Ketch winked at Ssinith and cast a mischievous smile at Valya before parting ways from the pair, taking a round-about path to his current home at the Thalas Manse, doubling back and switching directions many times to discourage pursuit.

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”