A Wench With Less Grinch (Jygust 30th, Early ET) Open

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

"Well met Mister Gerrard. Well met."

Motley kept quiet and allowed the other man to order, noting the way he ordered and what he ordered in it. Motley was and always had been cautious around alcohol. There were too many drunken patrons of his adopted mother and the other prostitutes in his past to join in on such activities, and the ugly little bard much preferred to keep his wits about him.

As the woman Fialessa introduced herself and joined them, Motley smiled his toothy, crooked grin at her and nodded.

"Good tide you to Miss Valenstri. I am the Motley, and this is my new friend Gerrard. We were just sitting down to enjoy some of the fine service and beverages here at the 'Simple Pleasures'. Now, we have diminished the darkness of unfamiliarity, and brightened the room with friends and companions. Let us bask in the warm glow of new friends."

Motley raised his cup in a silent toast, then sipped at it.

"I am a troubador by trade, songs and stories to delight one and all. Mister Gerrard here was about to explain what he does for a living..."

He fell silent, after prompting the other man to elaborate.
[b]Putting the "Imp" in impassible since 2004[/b]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Post by Gerrard MacKaree »

"It's a pleasure to meet you, miss Valenstri. And just as much a pleasure to meet you, master Motley." he said before making a curteous bow the Eastern way to the newly arrived lady and sat down.

"Oh... yes, of course, my occupation. I'm an aspiring merchant. Well... I am a merchant, but I'm trying to get my business off the ground, you know. Just returned a few weeks ago by boat from the Eastern Empire, where I have a very good trading contact. I will be the first Western man ever to bring Eastern items to our shores for sale." he said, a smile on his face and a voice full of self confidence.

"And you milady, what do you do for a living?" he asked Fialessa.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

(OOC: rent-a-waitress is happy to cater to your NPC needs)

Another waitress - Florence - brushed Aerin's arm as she moved past the redhead, softly enough just to draw attention. She was carrying a tray with two steaming mugs which she set down for some nearby patrons, and nodded at the congregation growing around Motley's table.

"You can take five with your mates there - couldn't help but notice you missed your pre-work puff from the way I missed my usual sneezing fit. Just tell me their orders and I'll deal with it."

Should Aerin take Florence up on the offer, the other waitress would double check the orders with her colleague and offer to get her something as well before approaching Fialessa with:
"Excuse me miss, can I get anything for you this evening?"
Last edited by Craghley on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Aerin was happy for a little early relief for a break - even as early on in the tide as it was Claire's little shop was hopping. Aerin was a 'fill 'em as you get 'em" kind of girl, so the order list was short as she rattled it off to Florence, waiting until the two had parted ways to reach for her tobacco pouch, making sure that her last 'official' words to the woman were "Thank you."

She was a bit torn afterwards as to which table to sit at - her internal compass alerting her to the allusion that Zenith was giving her the 'once over' a few times more than a normal patron would look at a waitress and Jack...well, Jack was Jack. Aerin did not know him too well, but knew his 'type' and, while wholly comfortable with 'that type', she hated the idea of not being able to totally relax around he and Zenith and indulge in their little drinking game. Especially with at least one instructor present at the flicker.

Her eyes moved to Motley's table and she smiled. If anyone could provide her a reminder to stay sober and behave, it was he - Fialessa's presense once more reminded her of Ashari's lesson about what to 0 and not to - discuss in mixed company. Besides, it would be fun to see if Fialessa was different outside of the temple. With a sumbtle bob of her head, she moved over to their table.

"I hear rumors of revolution..." she smiled as she indicated a seat near Motley. "May I join?"
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

Serenely smiling as first Motley then Gerrard noted their professions, she tilted her head as the latter asked after hers. “For a living... well ... I am presently a Priestess to Pan. And so it seems we all have very interesting professions.”

As the other waitress approached and asked after her order, Fia thought a moment, “Where do your coffee beans come from, if I may ask?”

“Well I certainly have no objections if these fine gentlemen haven't,” She grinned at Aerin. The other redhead had aided her quite unknowingly earlier in the day and the young Priestess certainly had a friendly inclination toward her.
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley looked up as Aerin jestingly spoke of a revolution. The fact the girl consorted with a monkey had always kept the ugly bard at arm's length, but she always did get the joke, and was able to add to it.

Perhaps I've misjudged her...

"Yes indeed, please do." He said as he gestured to an empty chair.

Motley took in the sight of these new friends as they chatted. Aerin he knew something of already, but Gerrard and Fialessa were simply strangers he had just met.

Being from Roque d'Ancourt, the deformed little man had met many merchants and traders of all kinds, but Gerrard had captured his interest as he spoke of returning from the Eastern Empire. Given the fact that Motley knew almost nothing of those distant shores, he hoped that the merchant would share some of his tales from the far flung east.

Fialessa was also of interest as a priestess of Pan. In the west, stories of Pan were likely twisted and tainted by the all too familiar Church of Dominicus. Here was a chance to hear of the Hooved God from a first hand apsirant.

Motley smiled.

This should be interesting...

"So Mister Gerrard, tell us of the mysterious empire in the east. I'm always interested in expanding my repertoire of songs and stories. Regale us with some of your exploits! Perhaps I can sing of your tales and make you famous!"

He grinned as he tore his honeyroll into bite sized morsels and ate with rapt attention.

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Florence nodded slightly in response to Fialessa's query.

"Certainly, miss. I believe we get our coffee from the select range offered by the Aveas Trading Company. 'Course, our barrista, Fabio, should know a bit more than that."

While Florence spoke she'd look up briefly to assess any incoming customers she would need to wait on. Yet even with a background of culinary clink, gathered hubbub and other assorted noises, Simple Pleasures held an air of a great lack of urgency.
Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard looked at the red haired waitress as she asked to join and nodded to her in approval.

A priestess of Pan... my my... priestess... and beautiful. Such a waste... she'd be a great hostess, if she knows etiquette. He tried to hide his thoughts in his words though. "A Priestess of Pan, a bard and a joining waitress. Why, I do find myself in quite an illustrious company." he said, smiling.

He chuckled at Motley's request. "Motley, right? Well, Motley-san," he said, flavouring it with some Eastern in it, "it is not a really grand story, to be honest. The most adventurous part was washing ashore and trying to communicate with and adapt to the lifestyle of a culture that doesn't speak our language, nor did they have any customs as ours. They have the strangest healing methods, though. A woman released me of my pain without touching me, nor did she use magic. Can you imagine that? However, most my time there was spent with the locals rebuilding their boats, which are actually also used as houses, after a cyclone had terrorised Long Danh, their capital."

It really wasn't worth a story, but if the bard really wanted to know, he'd have him over sometime so he could ask all about legends and tales he would like from his staff.
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

She thought so. That their range of coffees came through that company displeased Fialessa. Feeling as she did that the people of her homeland were quite taken advantage of by the Mouth and companies like that.

“Hmm... no...” the young Panling began with a wrinkle of her nose, “Have you anything that does not come through the Aveas Trading Company?” She spoke the word 'Aveas' as if it burnt her tongue.
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Florence shook her head slowly.

"Sorry miss, nothing else as far as I know. I'll ask Fabio if we do before I return with the other orders, if that's alright miss."

Should it be all very well by Fialessa, Florence would take her leave with a final nod to Aerin.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley listened to Gerrard's tale with interest, trying to fathom a healing process such as it was described to him. For the most part it escaped him. His magical knowledge was growing, as was his experience with different types of energy, but this sounded like nothing he'd heard before.

"Rebuilding after a savage storm is something I know a little about myself." Motley replied, referring to the Red Storms that Marcus had summoned back in Roque d'Ancourt. These fine people wouldn't truly understand what he meant, but it was general enough statement where few if any would question it.

"So what is it that bring you here? I can't imagine the boats holding tethering you there forever. Clearly you moved on. So what now? Build a fleet of your own?"

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard laughed heartily at Motley's comment. "Oh no, sir. Certainly not. Although a dear friend of mine who ended up in the Eastern Empire the same way did procure herself a boat and might acquire an armada. At least, I think that's what she would ultimately want." he said and chuckled at the thought of Elvira commanding her own armada of pirate boats.

"In all honesty though, I did move on. I have been able to get a trade agreement with the Empire and am here for business actually. I've got three meetings listed for tomorrow and have sent a letter to Audrey's to see if she would be interested in my vast amounts of silk." he answered the question of the little bard.

Turning to Fialessa after the waitress had left, he placed a hand on her arm. "Please, miss Valenstri, you would honor me if you would accompany to the Burpin' Dragon later tonight. I'll have something in store for you the likes of which you have never tasted before. It's not coffee, and it's not from Aveas." he said, inviting her over to the tavern he stayed for some tea. He looked around the table and smiled. "Of course, sir, miss, you are also invited. I can't tell you what it is yet, save for the fact that it's Eastern. They don't have coffee there, and this is what they have instead."

He had already made some tea as he arrived yesterday, the patron surprised as he asked for a pot of boiled water. Now he had a chance to have it sampled by others. Maybe his first steps into bringing this into the world? And if Aerin would be over, it would be very well possible he could make a deal with Simple Pleasures later on, adding tea to their list of available drinks.
Last edited by Gerrard MacKaree on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley sipped at his beverage and continued to focus on the conversation. Fialessa and Aerin had gone quiet, listening as well, so being the social creature he was, he continued on.

"What is this person's name? Although I don't usually travel by boat, I do know something of them from my hometown. If there is a woman out there building a fleet, it would behoove me to know who she is before I run into her."

Gerrard admitted he was here for business, and that he had a full schedule of meetings to attend to.

"I apologize, I don't know who this Audrey person is, but I am hopeful for you and your meeting and that it will be fruitful. With all of the appointments you have scheduled, you should be amassing your own empire in no time."

Motley's own strange and disjointed family past suddenly called out to him. If he had permission to negotiate on behalf of either of the families he was spawned from, he too could perhaps have meetings and negotiate trade agreements. The ugly little man cared little to nothing for money. With his voice and his lute he could make all the coin he ever could spend. But family was a different sort of story. If he could bring wealth and influence to his families, perhaps even one day he could reconcile them. One day he might even be considered a member himself.

"Mister Gerrard. Tell me something. Will this trade agreement ever carry you as far as the Western Kingdom? Say Roque d'Ancourt?"

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard thought back of Elvira. A beautiful creature she was. A bit rowdy, but what to expect of a pirate... maybe, just maybe... nah, probably not. "Her name you say? Elvira Rodriguez. Watch for news from the sea, soon she'll be out of port and do whatever she is good at. Don't ask me what though, she didn't want to tell me." he answered his question.

"Audrey from Audrey's Otherware. She's based here, but also has a venture in King's Court if I recall correctly. She's a custom tailor with magnificent designs. I had hoped she could use some silk I have in store. It won't buy me my empire yet, but it will be a little step upwards." he said, smiling at the thought of having a business empire.

"As far as the Kingdom? As far as Roque? Oh my dear man, I must say, it has brought me as far as the Citadel! I already have a shop open in Roque d'Ancourt and I'm right now trying to get enough funds together to start a restaurant too. Roque d'Ancourt is my hometown and my base of operations so to say." he then pondered why the questions were asked. "Tell me, Motley, why the interest?"
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

"Elvira Rodriguez. A pretty name. She sounds like a strong woman."

It was an offhand remark. Motley had never heard of her, but it seemed Gerrard was close to her and it was enough to simply put a period on that part of the conversation.

Gerrard's clarification about Audrey unfortunately meant nothing as well. Motley had little use for fashion, likening to dressing him as putting sweet cream on a turd. Tailors and dress shops were for those who needed or wanted to look stylish or professional, and in all his life Motley, being as he was, had never needed anything approaching that level.

"I'm afraid when you look like me, you have little need for fashion. I'm sorry, I tend not to notice or go near dress shops or such. I simply have never felt the need. I'm sure she's very good and very successful, but that is not a circle I tend to travel in."

Gerrard's next comment brought him something he did know something about.

"From Roque d'Ancourt you say? That is my hometown as well. I was picked up near the old fishing village in the lower level."

A perceptive person would hear the distinction between being born there, and being found there. A small but important difference.

"I'm interested because I think if the right agreement can be negotiated, I may be able to assist you in trading your goods and bringing them to the streets of the Summer City. I have the ear of some of the more prominent families, and perhaps some sort of business arrangement can be made. Is that something you would be interested in? Or have you already saturated the streets with your contacts?"

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

If only you knew he thought and repressed a laugh there.

"Neither did I sir, but with becoming a man of trade, I might do so as well. Although for now, I only want to sell materials to tailors. In time though, I might walk around in those suits."

Gerrard then discarded the comment on being found, not wanting to question him about that now. Maybe soon, without the present company.

"Ah, the fishing village. Yes well, I grew up on the streets, but in the wrong circles. Moved to the Citadel when I was seventeen though."

He listenend intently to the proposal Motley made. "Well, I can use all the help I can get. I haven't been back that long and I'm just starting. No contacts... nothing. I gotta do without a sign for the shop so far and the only customers I had so far were coming in for a look because everything looked so... different. Really, if you want to help out, you're free to walk in anytime so we can discuss matters. My office and shop is in the Rue d'Eunys. Ask for Gerrard Mackaree and they will fetch me unless I'm in a meeting."
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley nodded along in agreement as Gerrard spoke.

"I endeavor to be back home again in a few weeks if not sooner. I am familiar with the Ronde d'Eunys, as I often entertained in the streets there, and in the the Happenstance Bazaar. I shall seek you out when I am there again."

He was about to ask for the name of Gerrard's business, when the merchant spoke a name he was familiar with.

"MacKaree? As in Joshua MacKaree? Are you related to him?"

Motley did not to be in the business of sharing sad news with the merchant, but this was important.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you that he is dead. He was killed a couple of months ago when a corrupt sorcerer summoned an evil storm of darkness and blood. The aftermath decimated many members of the council, and killed a lot of people. I was injured in it as well."

Motley swallowed hard. It was still a difficult topic, and it still made the scars itch. He gestured to his face so that Gerrard could see what he had endured because of the Red Storm.

"I'm sorry." He added demurely, not knowing what else he might say.

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Smoke curled in wisps of both horn and halo above Aerin’s silent face, eyes which often held jade in both hue and emotion moving back and forth among those at the table, her lips parting in a few flicker’s worth of a return smile to Fialessa before pursing once more around her hand-rolled tube of tobacco. Gerrard’s tale was interesting, to say the least, almost as interesting as Fialessa’s reaction to the stock’s origins. She gave a small smirk and nod to Gerrard at his offer of a surprise, but her mouth turned downward into a small frown as she hoped that her plans for the evening involved a surprise of a different – and far more naked and feminine – nature than whatever Gerrard had up his sleeve.

“If I promise nothing, then there is no promise to break, yes? I would hate to get your hopes up and leave you hanging.” She still felt remorse about doing that to Duncan – a regret that she hoped to amend one day, should her time and fears allow.

She gave a small giggle when Motley described his origins, the ‘evil’ portion of her thoughts rebutting ‘Picked up?’ After being dropped several times? It was a unique choice of terms, but she righted her expression and quickly went on to assume that the phrase was a faux pas when he really meant ‘raised’. The flush in her cheeks was a bit strong, as she could feel the heat soaking inward, and so Aerin thought quickly to explain away the outburst. “A fishing village, Master Motley? Might want to take care around me then as I have had a bit of bad luck with fishermen in the past.” She gave a small shrug and allowed the conversation to continue, a bit disappointed in herself for the private joke about dropping causing him to look like he did, but that little itch of rebellion in her mind happy to finally see a light scratching after two months of playing prim and proper.

And then, after a bit more business conversation, Motley dropped an ugly little baby of his own – news of a possible relation to a dead man. Her eyes slid closed for a flicker or two, imagining the scene as Motley had laid it out. A storm of power which disfigured and killed randomly – once upon a time a fantasy of her own, born in daydreams about the extent and abilities of Ashari’s mindcrafting power that she had promised to teach and played out in vivid rememberings as she dreamt one night of that horribly beautiful bar – a dream which, even upon waking, had not stayed with her long or in full detail.

The thought of the storm now, however, brought a frown to her face as she had discovered with the nameless woman Rat had discovered her with, the cat, and very nearly Wrinkles, death was meant to be a much more personal thing, even if it was untimely.

And oh how a part of her wanted that rush again.

Her eyes flickered to Fialessa momentarily and the sight of the redhead brought a small smile back to her face as the earlier lessons at the temple flooded back.

Art…

Blood…

Joy…

In her own way, she had an epiphany of how to serve Pan best, as all of the pieces seemed to fit so nicely together in one fluid motion. Deep within Aerin’s breast, the ‘monster’ that Rat had only caught glimpse of stirred, her nipples hardening beneath her clothes in response. Her face held an expression of childlike innocence as her smile broadened.

Death is Art, if done the right way, and it has certainly brought me Joy on occasion, especially where Blood is involved... she thought as she absentmindedly rubbed the light scars on the back of her hand, a sign of the cat's futile desire to live. Her inner musings went to the Seaside Slayer - he was certainly 'getting away with it', and Rat had taught her a good bit about covering up less-than-noble deeds... Why not? All it would take, theoreticly, was the right approach, a little practice, and an awareness of the world around her. Speaking of which, she dragged her mind away from dark designs and brought her focus back to her current companions.

“You were injured, Master Motley, but you survived… Perhaps Pan was looking out for a man as gifted as yourself.”, she mused, suddenly feeling warm and secure in the thought that perhaps - just perhaps - Pan protected all of his 'artists' thusly. Her eyes moved from Fialessa to Motley and back to Gerrard. “I am sorry to hear about your loss, however…”, she continued, dropping the smile out of empathy. “…if it is indeed your loss.”

Her tone was genuine, but her sympathy was not - this dead fellow was just that to her...a casualty of what she suddenly thought to be 'sloppy work' - not something that she would have done, had it been her kill to make.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Florence returned on a wave of Fabio's shouting from the kitchen. Words about impossible expectations and waitresses clogging up the system were discernible over the atmospheric noise. Balanced carefully on a tray were the last orders that had been mentioned by Aerin. As Florence set them down she offered Fialessa an apology in a gap of silence, apparently oblivious to the current conversation.

"Sorry miss, I don't believe we have any other suppliers for our coffee. Is there anything else on the menu I can get for you?"
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Aerin wrote:“A fishing village, Master Motley? Might want to take care around me then as I have had a bit of bad luck with fishermen in the past.”

Motley gave the redhead a puzzled look for a ficker. "I have nothing to fear from you. I was born and raised there, but I discovered that way of life was not for me. I enjoy the water, and ships, from a distance. I'm not much of a swimmer."

The interaction and conversation continued and Motley spoke with Aerin again.

Aerin wrote:“You were injured, Master Motley, but you survived… Perhaps Pan was looking out for a man as gifted as yourself.”

"Very kind of you to say. Thank you. If it was his or another God's blessing, I will certainly take it. It was fate or destiny, then I was on the right side of it that day."

...If it was Angelica, then I have to question if freeing her from her curse is the right path. One cannot have too many guardian angels...

He shook the thought off almost immediately.

No, no. Her's is a terrible burden. Too great for her gentle shoulders to bear for much longer...

He turned back, and related the sad news to Gerrard.

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard had his eyes on Aerin as she spoke. The lady was... different... and heartless. There are things one should not say. And she might just have done it. It was not his place to comment on that. Not after just having met someone. Maybe she would be rather different than he thought.

As he heard the news of Joshua Mackaree, Gerrard faked an expression of disbelief. Now that is some news I might use to my advantage. Let's see if he left anyone behind in Roque... "I... I didn't know. No one told me..." he said, bringing a hand to cover his mouth. "I have just returned after a shpwreckage... this is... just... horrible." he continued, thinking of his mother and her illness as he had done numerous times when he was young to make his eyes watery and sometimes cry. "Josh was... he was my uncle. I can't remember whether or not he had a son. I should look into it immediately when I get back. I hope someone is left behind to take care of his business." he said, musing in his head what he could do if he could deceive anyone over there that he was the rightful heir of Joshua Mackaree. It would make things a LOT easier.

His heart was pounding, yet not with misery, but rather with the vast multitude of opportunities he saw ahead of him. "I... don't know what to say... thank you, Master Motley... I'm... I'm sorry for your injuries in that storm." he said folding his hands together, placing them on the table in front of him. Staring at his hands, hoping the others would see it more as sadness, or disbelief rather than thought. The latter being the actual thing that was happening inside him. A smile even maybe, but not outward, to his companions at the table.

Aerin took another drag from her smoke, her eyes focused a bit more on the men as not to seem too obsessed with the other redhead as her mind continued to formulate plans of a new life…a secret life…within the shadows of the Citadel. Her eyes lowered to her left hand where faint streams of white scar tissue ran across the softly rolling hills of flesh known as the back of her hand.

The cat’s claws…

The brambles used to cover its damage…

Even dead roses could still bring harm with their thorns…and although the Red Rose Guild had been renamed the Rocky Isle Guild, because of both the night of the fire and the search for Aeris, Aerin still fancied herself a Rose - even though she had never set foot in the door until it was ash.

Aeris - now there is a dead Rose who needs a thorn to lash out on her behalf, striking at her killer from beyond the...

And then inspiration struck Aerin once more.

Her eyes flickered to Gerrard’s face for a flicker, before returning to her hand and, eventually, the table before her as she sat waiting in quiet contemplation, oblivious to his act as he soaked up information about his deceased relative.

Ashari was doing her best, presumably, to find Aeris' killer - as was the cute little blond who sometimes darkened Ashari's doorstep. But, so far, nothing solid..., Aerin pondered, staring into the smoke as it wafted around. Pan's Joy - Perhaps Pan meant for her to be there that night. Aerin flexed her hand, remembering the pain of bone upon bone when it had been broken. She had fallen, but gotten back up. She had been broken, but carried on. She had been humiliated, but still held her head high. She had bared all to serve Ashari and to help Aeris without knowing either one of them.

Perhaps Pan had a plan for her after all. If Vanir was right, and the Joy was not just about sex, perhaps Pan was whispering in her ear that justice and setting things right were a part of the lost Joy. Perhaps her flashes of bloodletting fantasies were more than just carnal desires gone morbid - perhaps she was meant to be far more than Ashari could plan for.

Jade eyes blinked once as she recalled childhood memories of wondering how to seize blood via alchemy - memories of Rat and his men teaching her how to interrogate - the memory of herself as bait for Ashari's mysterious mission involving the Blue from the Banner.

She inhaled another breath of smoke, letting it out in a slow, steady stream across the table – her smoke (and its break) was nearly done and, in the course of such a short time, she had gone from chipper and vibrant to aroused and secretly venomous – it was a trait that Sonya had mentioned to Aerin before, along with how it made her nervous to be around the redhead at times.

Aerin had laughed it off before, refusing to believe that her moods could shift that noticeably but now, as Motley and Gerrard’s speech began to burn away into incomprehensible mumbles, Aerin noticed the shift for the first time. Now, Aerin could see that the 'shift' was all for a purpose. She was evolving...changing...in her private and rushed fantasies, becoming a rogue inquisitor for Ashari - a 'spy' so secret that not even the Guildmistress herself knew of her existence. Aerin had kept Sonya from prying eyes, so why not this as well? And it would certainly make it easy for Ashari to deny, should something fuck up along the way... But... Staying positive... A note slipped onto a desk when valuable information was learned... No signs of forced entry into Thalas and an innocent elder student who was just as blind and deaf to the subject as the rest of them? It seemed, to Aerin, to be a plot just crazy enough to work and the cloak-and-dagger daydream seemed so...appealing...

“Again, I am sorry for your loss and I am also sorry that you must lose my company somewhat…” Aerin sighed suddenly as her eyes came back up to meet those at the table and she stamped out her smoke in the provided receptacle. “However, Claire pays me to wait ON tables and not just AT them, so I must return to task.” She rose with a smile.

“Master Motley… Sir…Priestess…” she intoned, giving each a small bow in turn and time with their titles before turning for the kitchen. She had a lot on her mind and, although her instinct was to rush right out and start putting plans in motion, she took a calming breath and resumed her task.

Meditation…planning…picking the marks…, Aerin urged herself. Haste makes waste and all of that…Can’t have a repeat of Murrelbuck with no Rat to save my ass this time…, she self-confessed. And I can't just randomly torture all of Citadel for the answers....where to start? Her eyes paused at the table where Langredoc and Paige had sat. Perhaps she could lead me to the first..., Aerin thought, not giving Langredoc or his little pooch a second thought.

OOC: Feeling a little ‘third wheel’ here and she was allotted one smoke break, sooooo…moving her about to earn her pay and join/start other convos.
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Knowing the man needed time to think about his news, Motley sipped at his drink silently as Gerrard reacted to the passing of his uncle.

Another victim of the Red Storm. I hope you are roasting in hell Marcus...!

It was always a difficult thing to be the bearer of such sad tidings, and Motley looked to Aerin and Fialessa for support, yet both women seemed lost in their thoughts and preoccupied with other matters.

Aerin excused herself as she relayed that her break was over. Motley called after her, wishing that the remainder of her shift at work went smoothly.

"Good to see you again Aerin. I hope the rest of your night goes well. Take care!"

Motley could offer little further in the way of information. He had not known Joshua MacKaree personally, and the news of his death, along with several other members of the council, had reached him on the streets of Roque d'Ancourt in the aftermath.

"My injuries have already healed. I fear your wound is new and has not yet had time to scar over. If you wish to be alone, I will certainly understand. Yet know that I am here and at your service if you need me, and I can continue to sit with you if you prefer..."

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

"Thank you, Aerin. I wish you a pleasant evening." Gerrard said almost monotonous as the redhead left.

"No, sir. Please, do stay and sit. I... This has just gotten me by surprise. I wonder why no one had told me yet. I wonder who didn't want to tell me." he said, musing to himself. "At the moment, Motley, you are the closest to a real friend that I have, or family for that matter." he confessed, playing with the cup of coffee between his hand, staring into it.

"Please, do tell me more about that Storm. I... have missed all of it. I just want to know what has cost the lives of many, as I hear through your words." he was genuinely interested in the storm, but not for that reason. Would there be a way to make it profitable? Was there something he could do to gain reputation?
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

"of course it has taken you by surprise. It is only natural."

Motley set his cup down carefully. It was a gentle and delicate move which might have been odd coming from one who looked as he did.

"The storm was summoned by a wizard named Marcus. It was an odd storm from the very beginning. It gave other mages headaches, and caused the Mer to froth and bubble, Red tornadoes shrieked through the town and swept people up in them, hurling them into the sky. Others were killed as debris fell like rain in the streets. Bits and pieces of rock, slate roof tiles, tables and chairs, whatever crossed the storm's path was picked up and hurled with terrible force. Many were killed in the streets. More died when their homes collapsed from the damage."

He paused, taking a breath to compose himself.

"Marcus was found by myself and two others. We engaged him, and the battle was joined. In the end I cannot tell you how we defeated him, but the three of us managed to stop him and kill him. We were all direly wounded, but we prevailed."

"The aftermath was worse in some ways. Seeing all the dead and injured, seeing the destruction and chaos. It took the city weeks to clean it all up. Many of the homes were being rebuilt when I left a few months ago. I imagine it will eventually look much the same, but like many of us that survived, it will bear the scars forever."

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”