Office of the Provost Marshal - Jygust 30th, MT

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Office of the Provost Marshal - Jygust 30th, MT

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

Located directly on the waters of the harbour, the heavy, narrow form of the Gaol dominates the Eastern edge of the harbour with its dark, forbidding appearance. The building was designed to appear bleak and uninviting, and its rusty portcullis that guarded the ten pace entrance arch did little to settle the nerves of those unfortunate enough to be brought here under arms. This was the city's infamous prison, a place rumoured to reach as far beneath the ground...into the rocky shelf below...as it did into the sky, its topmost battlements reaching heights of almost one hundred paces.

But the bleak exterior of the Gaol was little more than a clever ruse to dispirit those brought before it. In truth, the building quivered with life and activity, for it was here that the city guard found their home. They slipped into and out of the massive, heavy construction by way of a smaller portal located to the side of the building, a door freshly painted in a bright, cheerful color of red and guarded at all times by a pair of city guardsmen. Visitors frequented the Gaols often to visit prisoners within, for while the place did house the city's incarcerated murderers, it also housed the debtors and defaulters prison, a lower security area of the Gaols and one that allowed for visitation and even a few luxurious amenities.

Just within the red door was a small room where visitors were received. A hallway led deeper into the fortress prison directly across from the entrance, its length dark and obscured due to the lack of natural lighting in the interior of the building. The reception room featured a broad carpet of woven thrush, a long, stiff bench that was unfriendly to the backside, and a small, cluttered desk opposite this behind which the watch sergeant took his ease, greeting those that entered with a gracious nod as he stood. "Greetings to you. Your business here at the Gaol?" he would ask, his voice low and even.

~*^*~*~*^*~*~*^*~

It was a definite to say that Lir was nervous. She never met the Provost Marshal before and needed to pull information out of him some how. There was much rumor about what type of man he was but it did not give her much reassurance.

The assistant to Silk had decided to dress for the occasion. She had decided upon her favorite the ornate Royal Blue bodice that accentuated her curvaceous upper body. A present from Silk for the Advisory Council meeting, but also decided upon wearing a matching silk skirt instead of her black leather pants. The silk skirt was more like a sleek sheath but to ensure freedom to move about comfortably there were slits that slid all the way up to her upper thighs. She still wore the silk stockings and boots that completed the outfit. Her dark luxurious hair was piled on top of her head and held in place with a wooden comb. Several tendrils slipped out purposely to soften her features in case the outfit came across as severe.

Lir still carried about the backpack which held all of her medical supplies. It held her herbs, vials, clean linen, medicine, as well as a couple of knives which she uses for cutting cloth, and other such things even protection.

Clutching it over her shoulder, she entered the Gaol and headed to the Office of the Provost Marshal where she noticed the guard in front of the door and announced herself awaiting entry. "I have arrived for my appointment with the Provost Marshal."
Last edited by Lir Calysta Markby on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was not the single guard that Lir passed but almost half a dozen of them, her path leading her up towards the top floor of the bleak and imposing building. At last she emerged in a well lit and comparatively dry, even pleasant as opposed to the rest of the building. At the far end of the hallway was a balcony overlooking the central core of the prison, and there were four doors leading off from the hallway, two of which were open. The hallway itself was guarded by an additional pair of City Guard, and these two wore the marking of City Guard Gaolers, a special company of that organization charged with taking care of the prison itself. They noticed Lir and exchanged quick glances. “The Marshall did not mention he was expecting a visitor, but he is in his rooms. Feel free to seek him out.” The man nodded towards one of the open doors, warm, rosy light spilling from beyond.

The room itself was quite lavish, with it's lovely, thick rung beneath, the warm, flowing wall hangings and the rich, oiled furniture, all made from ash wood such that it was lighter in color and so very lovely in finish...magnificent pieces that harmonized well with the reds and browns of the walls and the floor. Chief among the furniture was a large, four-post bed with a magnificent, cross-bar headboard that featured several worn ropes tied thereon. A set of polished, silver lamps were dotted around the windowless room to give it a great abundance of light, and a magnificent mirror stood to her right, a mirror that stood as tall as a man and was of such quality Lir had never seen. An open doorway also led off to the right, and a concealed door was opposite her...a concealed door that she spotted easily due to the irregularity in the underlying stones of the room as well as the marks of it's use upon the rug, minor, curving ruts in the fabric that also told her the concealed door opened inward and had been used regularly, even currently.

She was lucky not to have come a few burns earlier, finding the Marshall dressed only in a pair of comfortable linen breeches, wiping his blond hair off with a towel. He did not notice her at first and Lir was given enough time to examine the lean and well-built man in his early thirties, a satisfied smile curling his soft lips upward. It was not her he saw, but rather her reflection in the tall mirror, turning towards the newcomer and smiling, arching a well formed brow. “Hmmm, and who might you be, my lovely dear? I do not believe we have met before.”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

The man has taste, or someone that is close enough to furnish for him does. She thought, her bright amethyst eyes roamed about, a brow rose at the four-post bed and the worn ropes tied there. The mirror made her even smirk but quickly she schooled her face to not show any of her thoughts.

She did notice the Marshal's body and admired it. At least, the man takes care of himself. How he carried himself as well as his private quarters gave her ideas of what type of man this was. None of it appeared to unhinge her as she stood tall and proudly, Lir knew what her mission was and nothing will deter her from it.

"No, we have not met before. I am Lir, Silk's assistant. I believe he informed you that we have an appointment to go over some details regarding a few serial crimes that have been plaguing the Citadel." Her voice was meant to sound smooth as silk with a degree of warmth. None of the ice that she often used to drive people away could be sensed, three months in Daniel's care helped.

Her stance was relaxed and the healer worked at fluidity but exuded pride and strength. Something told her that it would draw the man to her.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The mention of Silk had Ranier arching his brow though the smile did not fade away, Provost Marshal moving to Lir and offering his hand to her. “Pleased to meet you, Lir. I am Provost Marshall of Citadel Michael Ranier. Michael or Mike for you.” Should she take his hand he would look into her eyes and then sweep into a mock bow and plant a kiss on her hand, grinning all the while. “Please take a seat.” He motioned towards a pair of chairs standing next to a small table near a door as he moved towards a small cabinet to behind the door. “Would you like something to drink? Wine is lukewarm, but I have some Islay whiskey that is just the right temperature.” He glanced around the door, the same easy, confident smile on his lips.

Once they were seated he leaned back, apparently quite comfortable and not in the least disturbed by his own lack of clothing. “Now, what troubles you wished to discuss? Forgive my lack of manners, but there is so much on my mind lately that I simply forgot. Regardless of that I will be happy to do anything in my power to help you get the answers.” He fell silent and awaited for the girl to state her case.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

If Lir saw any changes in the Provost Marshal, her own face gave no hints of it. It still made her a bit giddy when people reacted to Silk's name. Some positively, others negatively but always interesting.

Silk's assistant remained calm and loose as she offered her hand to Michael. He smoothly took her hand and acted like quite the gentleman. She acted as if she was falling for it and at all times she remained professional but polite. Lir took the seat that was offered and attempted to look comfortable in this man's private quarters.

"No thank you, not when I'm working." She murmured sweetly and waited for him to get settled.

The man seemed overly confident by how he carried himself, and even his current dress. He might strong arm me. The dark-haired healer wondered what sort of wiles would work on him or if she had to sacrifice to get anything in return. Depends on what it is... She thought to herself as she continued to smile.

She waited patiently for Michael to take his seat. He didn't recall why she was here which made her wonder how much Silk or one of his informants told him. It did not seem he knew anything about her or didn't expect her to be a woman. Good or bad? We'll know soon enough.

Her features were schooled to look distraught and heavily concerned but not too far to seem like a coward. Her body playing along with what her brain commanded. "It is quite all right that you have forgotten the reason for this visit, but I was sent here to find out more about the rash of murders that have been plaguing the Citadel." She paused as she studied his face despite her act and continued on. "It might seem odd that Silk had sent me, but he believes my skills as a healer may be able to pick up some clues regarding these murders to assist you with your investigation." This next moment will hopefully tell her if he was going to take her seriously or not.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

What showed upon Ranier’s face and that which bubbled beneath the surface, may very well have been two completely opposite things, but truly he did not seem terribly upset by the mention of Silk’s name. He had definitely heard of the man, and knew of the rumors surrounding him, just like everybody else, and being Provost Marshall likely knew a thing or two more. Neither of these facts mattered, since Silk was a high Imperial official and the request for him to render assistance to him and his representative had come from Lord Advocate himself. There was little chance that Michael could refuse Lir, but truth was that the man relished the chance to see the pretty, arousingly confident woman before him. There was something terribly attractive in a woman who exuded confidence and he just wished they did not have to do business before engaging in.....

He took a sip of his drink before nodding slowly. “A small correction, Lir. Officialy you were sent here by Stephen Matiro, though I don’t doubt that the initial request came from your patron. But, that is besides the point.” He smiled once more, looking directly into Lir’s eyes, taking another sip. “You might call yourself lucky. We discovered a new victim last night. Two in fact, though I think only one is the victim of this alleged new Slayer. We caught the true killer and made sure he never killed again. But, you know how people are.” Another pause and another smile as he licked the edge of the glass to pick a drop of whiskey from it. “But, seeing how you are here to help, you can have a look at both bodies, provided you promise to share anything you find with the City Guard. We are still in charge of the investigation. Is that acceptable for you?”
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Ranier was correct about the Lord Advocate and perhaps understood the connection but decided not to dwell on it. The shrewd eyes met Michael's eyes awhile he smiled listening to his words. Lucky would be the criminals tripping over their knives and killing themselves.

She worked on a stone mask as he seemed to be enjoying himself. If they believe they caught the 'true' killer, then this is the copy cat...or they caught the wrong man before.

Those jewel-like eyes regarded him with intensity, studying his expression, always smiling. She felt that he believed this all to be a sort of game. She kept herself professional and will do so until the end of this business. "Of course." Finally, she formed a smile of her own. A slow warming smile.

"I haven't had a chance to learn much of how this investigation had progressed before the 'true' killer was tried and incarcerated. I am still pretty new to this place" They are given a trial right? Even pirates had some sort of code... She tilted her head curiously and asked, "What evidence was found for the man that was captured? It will help me on what his methods are like especially when I see these victims."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Leaning forward, Michael rested elbows on his knees, shifting the glass from one hand to the other, observing the amber liquid swirl within its glassy confines. He cast a glance at Lir and stared at her for one long flicker, before tilting his head. “Now, pardon my curiosity, but what drives a young lady such as yourself to get involved in affairs as gruesome as the Seaside Slayer?” He arched a brow and paused, giving her a chance to reply, but provided the response to her questions nonetheless. “We caught the man red-handed. Sergeant Duncan and two civilians discovered him kneeling over the body of a dead adhiel. He was tried and sentenced to death and hung according to law.” He shrugged and leaned back, taking another sip. “Sure, the trial was a bit hurried, but you have to understand the pressure under which we work. People of the Inner and Outer Ring are a bit violent and they tend to express their displeasure through violent actions. But, even though there was a mob screaming for the man’s blood in front of the Gaol, his trial was still fair and square. Heck, even if he was not the Slayer, he was still a killer. All the victims had one thing in common besides being female. They were all newcomers to the city, though the time between their arrival and death varied. It was never more than a few days though. Five at the most I think.” Again he shrugged. “The reason why we are certain this new killer is not the Slayer is the difference in the mutilations. While the previous victims have been nearly cut to ribbons, it was done meticulously and with precision. The new victims are also cut, but there are injures on their bodies that previous victims did not have. All the victims died from injuries, but before they were cut while alive and bled to death and now they are killed and then cut. At least that is what the healers told me.” He smiled and shrugged a third time. “I just run the Guard, I don’t know a thing about causes of death and injuries. Other people handle that.”
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

"Some people thought that my expertise might be of assistance in this case. I mean despite the 'capture' of the Seaside Slayer, obviously we still have either another serial murderer out there or two. I believe you could use all the help you can get before someone of importance disappears and found in a ditch somewhere." Her eyes never leaving the man's face.

"I wouldn't want to think if this continues on for yahren. If you are concerned of outrage before the first Slayer's death, you probably can imagine what will happen when this continues on for much longer. Whether it is a copy cat, or the wrong person was executed and still the same Slayer out there, we need to stop it before it happens again." Of course this was all that he already knew.

I just run the Guard, I don't know a thing about causes of death and injuries. Other people handle that...

"Well consider me other people." She formed a smile with her slightly rouged lips. "I do hope we can get along while this investigation continues on. I would not like us to be at odds. If you do have some time, perhaps you can show me those 'fresh' bodies if the victims so I can make my own assessment."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: After a brain-dead week I should be back in business

There were several moments when Marshall looked like he was going to interrupt Lir, but the girls diplomatic speech merely made him chuckle here and there, as she stated her case and yet did not step on any toes too hard. “I will be as blunt as possible, Lir. The man we caught may or may not be the Slayer, but the fact remains he did murder that woman, as several witnesses testified. Perhaps he deserved a proper trial, but in the end the results would have been the same. We merely managed to appease the crowd more quickly this way. In essence the true purpose of our work was served and that is to keep the general populace happy. General populace as a whole mind you, since crime may make a few men and women happy, but the public will have their underwear up in a knot over it. So, we uphold the law, and keep everyone passably happy.” He shrugged and smiled, though there was little humor in it. “I do not claim to be a saint, or anything close to it. But, I do at least some good, as do my men. We would be strung up and left to bleed if it were otherwise. People of Citadel can be very vicious.”

At that he rose, and drained what little remained of his drink, moving to the side room, though the door was left open. By chance or design the mirror on the door made sure Lir was afforded a good view of the Marshall as he let the trousers drop down, standing pretty much naked in what appeared to be a bathroom and wardrobe combined. Apparently oblivious to the show he was giving, he sought out the least wrinkled of his uniforms and set it out, whilst continuing the conversation they started. “We’ll go down to the dungeons and give you a look at the corpses, and then I will arrange for a meeting between you and our doctor, and the investigator in charge of this particular investigation. They would be able to answer your questions better than me.” With that he started dressing, humming a soft tune, neither rushing, nor taking his sweet time getting ready.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Silk's secretary wondered what the Marshal's game was. His act of dressing revealing his nakedness did not offend her or cause her to become faint. She had seen quite a few naked men on a ship and it was nothing new to her. She waited patiently admitting to herself that he did take care of himself and it almost seemed like he would stay a distinguished older man as he grew ripe with age.

Lir wasn't in any great hurry, but she did not want to stay here all day and wanted to put in some time at the Mother Temple. "That would be fine and helpful. Thank you." She replied as she waited for him to change. The dark-haired girl made it a point to be studying her nails when the man appeared. She tried to exude boredom in his games and awaited to be stimulated in other ways if possible.

It might work with other females, but you'll have to work a lot harder to get any closer than professional with me.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Ranier seemed blissfully unaware that his nakedness was so obvious and with a polite smile offered his hand to Lir helping her rise and leading the way out of his private rooms. “I think we ought to make a detour to the armory and get you a nice cloak. Dungeons are dreadfully chilly even in the middle of the summer. Actually they are especially cool in the middle of the summer, since people often dress inappropriately for the occasion.” The male guard waiting at the door snickered, while his female companion fell in behind Lir and Marshall, the leather armor she wore creaking with each step.

The path led down and down, the stairs spiraling for quite a while, the lack of windows making it impossible to judge just how deep they were going. There were a few rests and almost half a dozen doors, but they took none of them, going down until the stairs stopped. “A word of warning, Lir. This is where we keep the most dangerous prisoners. Men and women who will never see the light of day, but who were not executed for various reasons. Please stay near the middle of the corridor and ignore anything you see or hear. Do not approach the doors under any circumstance.” The guard stepped forward and from a ring hanging at her belt picked a heavy key, turning it in the sturdy lock and pushing the door inward on screeching hinges. From a small room to the right a guard in the similar uniform emerged, and saluted the Marshall, exchanging a few whispered with his fellow guard.

“This is where I leave you, Lir. Take care and let me know if there is anything else you need.” The air this deep under the ground was on the verge of freezing, the moisture seeping into the clothes and making the skin clammy, enhancing the cold tenfold. Ranier and his escort turned and went back up the stairs, leaving Lir alone with the burly, pale jailer. “Mornin’, miss. Names Jenkins. Sergeant Jenkins. If you’d just step in, I gots to lock the bars.” Once she was in the door swung back and then Jenkins locked them both in, before reaching into the small chamber in which a small pile of red-hot coals provided a measure of warmth and comfort. He produced a heavy woolen cloak and handed it to Lir, smiling and revealing twin rows of blackened stumps instead of teeth. “We keep the dead down ‘ere cause they don’t go bad. Not even the maggots stay ‘ere long. Jus’ me and the speshul prisoners. Walk this way.” He turned and lead the way down a long corridor, pair of oil lamps at each end providing the only illumination, leaving the middle draped in darkness. Every fifteen feet a steel door was set into the side wall, and from under them moans and sighs reached into the hall, echoing against the walls. Two gnarled fingers squirmed under the second door to the right, beckoning Lir closer, while Jenkins advanced down the corridor steadily.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

It was something Lir should have thought about but in all honesty she had thought that they were just going to have a 'pleasant' conversation regarding the Seaside Slayer and the new serial murder that was loose in the city. A smile appeared with syrupy graciousness that oozed from her words. "That is quite a generous offer. Thank you for your consideration." Completely ignoring the guard's snicker. She dressed comfortably so if she was attacked, in her mind she was able to react faster.

She listened to the Marshal's warning all the while taking in the area to try to keep it to memory for any future visits. "Thank you once again for your assistance and I shall contact you once I have a bit more to go on." She watched Michael and his guard head out and strangely felt a bit more relaxed when he was away. "Nice to meet you Sergeant Jenkins." She entered into the room so the jailer could lock the bars. The cloak was received without further word and she placed it around her shoulders before advancing forward with the Sergeant.

Lir kept pace with Jenkins and noticed two fingers asking her to come closer, but whomever those fingers belonged to was none of her concern right now as she ignored it and continued to follow Jenkins. "How long have you worked here, Sergeant?" She figured it was a non-committal question to break the silence and perhaps even a professional connection. The healer had a feeling this would not be the last time she would have to be here.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Sergeant did not look back, a whisper filtering under the door as Lir silently passed, ignoring the begging gesture. “Bitch.” The voice was definitely feminine and coming from the same door under which the fingers were slipped, but nothing else broke the silence, other than a pair of steady footsteps and Sergant’s reply. “Seven yahren in the Watch, miss. Four in the Gaol, and two of those down ‘ere. Like the quiet, and don’t mind the cold much.” He chuckled and glanced at the girl over his shoulder. “Others think this is a punishment for somethin’. Truth is I asked to be put here. Easy job. Never had a person escape. Don’t think most of them could even if they ‘ad a chance.”

The corridor must have been a good four hundred feet long, and as the Sergeant sifted through the keys hanging at his waist it filled with moans and groans. Voices whispered quick fragmented prayers, a shrill scream piercing through it all, causing the Sergeant to frown and smile apologetically. “Sorry ‘bout that, miss. They always do that when I touch the keys. People go mad down ‘ere and don’t make much sense. Just ignore them.” Two loud clanks followed and the door at the end of the hall was pushed open, the Sergeant pulling a candle from his belt, lighting it and then stepping in to light three more lamps inside.

It was an ancient torture chamber, dark stains still covering the slabs which were not occupied by sheet covered bodies. Chains and various implements of torture hung from the walls and ceiling, the Sergeant shuffling his feet uneasily. “Used to be torture chamber down ‘ere. Not been used in yahren. And stuff in ‘ere is too heavy fer us to lug it out so we leave it.” He grinned again and then turned towards the bodies. “Those are the bodies. Them two are cut real bad. And those two sucked dry. You want me to leave ya? I’ll be right down the hall. Just holler if you need me.”
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

How quickly they turn on you when they do not get what they want... A flitting thought crossed her mind as she heard the woman's name for her. A hidden smile lifted the corners of her mouth but quickly extinguished as she listened to the Sergeant's answer.

It was somewhat reassuring what the man said but at the same time she wondered what they had done to even end up here.

The shrieking and uproar from the Sergeant rattling the keys was incredible. She nodded at the suggestion to ignore them and followed the guard into the room letting her eyes adjust to the candle lit room. The healer mused that the decor was wasted on the dead but kept her thoughts close. Lir could sense that the man was not comfortable in this room and wouldn't be the one to force him to stay if she could.

Amethyst eyes followed the gestures to where the bodies were and frowned slightly. "Thank you. I should be fine for now. I suspect you have a lot to do. If I need your assistance I shall be sure to holler."

Sucked dry...

She did not wait for the Sergeant to leave the room as moved towards the four bodies. At first glance, she knew right away that the two sets were from two different murderers. A murder that seemed passionate with each cut while the other almost impersonal but meticulous. Perhaps they were her assumptions but who drains bodies for their blood and for what reason? It was difficult at this point to finger which was more gruesome.

Lir made a note of the genders of all the victims and searched for the "opening" or "exit" wound that would explain the excessive loss of blood. "Sucked dry. How could a human do such a thing?" She spoke softly to herself as she continued her cursory search. Also, those shrewd eyes would wander over the other bodies with the cuts to see if she could figure out what sort of instrument was used to cut them up.

Studying their faces caused a bit of sadness, the healer tried to recall the tidbit of information on who these people are and if they were citizens in the Citadel or just visiting.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was probably not until the covers were moved that Lir would see what marked the bodies as coming from two different killers, but two of them had a distinct rise in the covers over the genital regions and when the sheets came off it became clear why that was so. Two men and two women lay dead and it was the men that had made a tent in the sheet. How young or old they might have been was impossible to discern, as their bodies were little more than shriveled husks, not only blood, but every last drop of liquid drawn out of them. Their members were still erect and though they too were somewhat shriveled, they seemed the only parts of the dead that retained some semblance to their original look and form. Cracked lips were drawn over yellowed teeth in a mockery of a smile, a smile of someone enjoying whatever it was that befell them, their back somewhat arched as it they were tense at the moment of death. Eyes were unrecognizable, shriveled to a tenth of their original size. No wounds of any kind were visible upon either of the bodies, and even careful examination revealed nothing that could have been lethal. They simply died due to the loss of all of their bodily fluid, and they enjoyed it. Even their hair was dry like a straw and some strands even broke when touched.

Other two bodies were female and upon them wounds were visible. Each was covered in plethora of cuts and stabs, whole fragments of skin missing, jagged edges indicating that some of it was not cut, but savagely torn off. The face of a girl with blond hair was twisted into a mask of agony, her wrists bloody and with strands of some sort embedded in the raw meat under the torn skin. Dried blood covered what skin was left, and in her case both ears, nose and her left nipple were gone completely. Her stomach was mostly clear of blood and upon it a strange swirling pattern was drawn, with something akin to runes used as building blocks for the image. It looked much like a vortex centered around her navel, whatever mystical wind it was to depict sucking the runes into her navel and making them swirl around her skin. No inch of her body was left uncut and many of the wounds seemed as if they were inflicted while the victim was still alive, judging by the coloring of the flesh and blood around them.

The other corpse bore an expression of surprise upon its face, as if the auburn haired girl gasped at something and was forever locked in that expression. On her, most of the wounds were inflicted after she was dead, and the deep wound over her left breast was the most likely source of death. She died quickly, whatever blade that brought her demise puncturing her heart and ending her life. Her injuries looked more methodical, and gone were the jagged edges on her wounds, though she was just as mutilated as the other victim. A pattern similar to the one the other girl had on her stomach was etched upon this victims belly, though the placing of the runes was a bit different. More detailed comparison might reveal a pattern, but for now the runes looked to be randomly tossed around. Both girl were young and may have been healthy before whomever did this to them decided to end their lives, though without actually opening their bodies and conducting a detailed search of their entrails this could not be confirmed. Identification of both girl would be difficult, especially since the second victim lacked both of her lips as well as a portion of her cheeks.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

It never gets easier... The phrase came from somewhere in the back of her mind as she stared in horror of the 4 corpses. If she believed in it, she would think that the two men were sucked dry of their life essence by a demon or even a demoness. She did not know much of the occult and never really believed much in it thinking it was just stories to scare children from misbehaving. She did not handle much of the dried husk-like corpses in worry that there wouldn't be much left under her knife due to their condition. Note to self: Where were they found and how were they found? Naked as they were right now? Tavern? In an alley?

No ligature marks on the male victims to indicate they were ever tied up. No struggle. Nothing to indicate that they were in any pain before this happened to them. No puncture marks. No bruising. Suspended in ecstasy or something that would cause their members to stay erect. Her conclusion for the men was that it was done by the same person or thing. Lir had a feeling that all of their vital organs and such were just as shriveled up if she had a look inside.

Next, she lingered over the two women, matching their appearances back and forth. Again wondering where they were found as well. It seemed like a monster of some sort had also done this. Their faces twisted in agony, much the opposite of the men that had met their end. Cuts, stabs, ritualistic marks. The other body similiar but not necessarily identical. She withdrew a notebook and charcoal to sketch the 'rune-like' pattern that was on the girls' stomachs. Copying each swirl even if they had no rhyme or reason and tried to make a comparison between the two designs to see how off they were. Recognition of the two women would be very difficult with the mutilation. She wasn't entirely sure if this was done by one killer or one killer and another copy cat.

Anger, hatred. It was what she felt when observing the two girls. A man or monster that was rejected and wanted to get back, hated women...young women. How does someone do this much to a person and still not get caught?

What motive derived from the two men...need? Two serial murderers in the Citadel. Simply amazing. Michael said that they had captured the Seaside Slayer and executed him but it did not even matter if they had found the correct man. Could be anyone as long as the killings stopped and the people of the Citadel was appeased.

Lir cautiously rummaged through the girls' hair to see if there was any recognizable debris found to perhaps identify a place. Also checked out what their hands looked like, were they tied up? Any clues to how they were contained. Did they have any callouses to give any indication of their place in life? Also noted their skin type, any blemishes, or recognizable birthmarks?

Animals...monsters...incredible... Staring at the bodies for a moment. Lir wondered if the other bodies were opened up to examine their innards or if it was prohibited in the Citadel. The sooner would be better but if there were protocols she wouldn't want to be the first to quite break that one, plus she wasn't planning on opening them on her first visit here. If anything she would want someone to assist her or vice versa.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Without opening the dried corpses, there was no way to see if the men’s insides were as dried up as their exteriors, their skins hard to the touch, much like a bark from a willow tree. To cut would require something very, very sharp and considerable effort simply to get the blade through and make an incision. It was as if their skin had turned into a wooden shell, protecting whatever was inside from prying fingers and prying eyes. It was the ears, nose and fingers and toes that were in danger of being damaged from mere touches, the other parts of dead men hardened and sturdy enough to withstand quite a punishment.

The symbols on the female bodies were simple, composed of straight lines with only a few curls, well suited for carving them into the girls’ skins, nothing close to curling letters that were in use across Tazlure for writing upon paper. The actual alphabet was unlike anything she had seen before, though the symbols upon the bodies were consistent and about two score different symbols were used to draw the swirling patterns, several groups of letters repeated, one appearing almost a dozen times upon each body. More might be revealed with a detailed analysis, though finding someone able to understand the letters would be just the thing to solve the mystery of the messages upon the girls’ stomachs. The investigation of their hairs revealed a piece of dry leaf of some sort, Lir’s knowledge of plant life enabling her to identify it as dried out seaweed, the living plant brown in color and slimy, but now fragile and crumbling under her touch.

The blond was definitely tied up, while the other girls wrists bore no marks save for a slash across her left forearm. Close examination showed that one girl easily noticeable calluses on the middle and ring finger of her left hand, the skin there hard and thick, the ring finger on her left hand similarly scarred, though the callus was less pronounced. The other girl had no such signs upon her, her skin smooth, and without any real blemishes. She did lack any sign of pubic hair unlike the blond, and in fact auburn haired victim lacked any sort of bodily hair save the one on her head.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Silk's secretary took everything in. I'll need something very strong and sharp to open the men. She thought as she noted the dried out seaweed. It gave her another place to start her sleuthing. It was one of the only similarities there were besides the feeling of a copy cat. She had ran her fingertips over the callused middle finger and ring finger wondering what sort of occupation would cause that. A female scribe? Wouldn't writing cause ink stains though? The other giving her some concern, skin smooth and no real blemishes save the ones caused by the horror. The lack of pubic hair created some interest. Who actually removes all of their pubic hair? Courtesans? Someone that finds hair down there bothersome...Odd.

"Sergeant Jenkins!" She called out to the guard awaiting his return. Lir needed to ask someone how she could have a more invasive examination. This cold room might be just the place for the open examination, but she knew that she would need some help and a bit more lighting. When the guard was available for questions she asked, "Would it be possible to include more lighting as well as a strong assistant that can stomach these sort of things as well as an understanding the need of discretion? If you cannot determine this I could always ask the Provost Marshal or the Lord Advocate to prepare an autopsy for these bodies before burial."
Last edited by Lir Calysta Markby on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It took Jenkins a almost half a flicker to come running, the prisoners behind him screaming and screeching while the jailor all but ignored them. He strained to hear what Lir had to say, eventually forced to shut the door behind him to give them some peace and quiet. Furrowing his brows the man tried to understand what was asked from him and a few flickers later beamed in revelation. “Light ain’t a problem, miss. I can get you lamps and torches and candles aplenty.” The remainder of the request had him shuffling his feet. “I can ask the Marshall about the rest. I ain’t sure about helpin’ but if he says okay I know who can help ya. He’s the man who does the investigation too, so you ought to meet him.” He paused and pondered something. “I could just ask ole Harbuck. It’s his investigation, so….. If he says its okay, then Marshall won’t mind. Want me to get him?”
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Lir nodded. "Yes, please set this in motion. I'll also need to change as well while you alert the proper people. I should be back soon and prepared to do this. Oh one more thing...I'll need a very sharp saw, something that could cut through wood easily or even harder surfaces. Of course, the sharper the better." She had some concern with the dried out corpses but one would never know until they get started.

When all the preparations have been done she would head home for a quick change, and back to open the bodies.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Whether it was the Sergeant who efficiency made it possible, or someone else whom he asked for help, yet, everything was in place and ready by the time Lir came back from her little side-trip. She was escorted to the dungeons without delay, Marshall having left a not that she be permitted entry as needed for her investigation. It was not until she entered that the Sergeant informed her that Investigator Harbuck was already inside and waiting for her. He did not follow, trusting that she knew the way and this time his wards were strangely quiet, not a single sound reaching her ears as she walked the length of the hallway.

The door to the torture chamber was closed and the bright lighting inside blinded her for a flicker, the blond woman’s body surrounded by half a dozen lanterns that used some sort of inner contraption to reflect and amplify the light through a now open shutter. To the side a figure of a tall, lanky man could be seen. He stepped forward, revealing himself to be a forty or so yahren old lean and withered man with a short cropped hair that was losing its battle with age and turning heavily grey. He wore a weathered bronze breastplate that looked sturdy if a bit scratched and dented. A trail of smoke emerged from a rolled cigarette in his hand and he took a pull of it before speaking. “G’day miss. I am Investigator Harbuck. Heard you wanted to open up my victims. The tools are over there, so when you are ready feel free to start.” On a small table that had not been there before an assortment of tools one might find in a doctors bag was neatly arrayed, and there was a shiny saw resting against the table’s leg. Investigator waited for Lir to step in before moving to close the door and lean against the wall with mild disinterest.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

The healer had changed into something more suitable for the task ahead. When she entered into the torture chamber she was impressed with how fast everything was handled. "Good day to you, Investigator Harbuck. Yes, I often find it pays off to be thorough. I believe you are here to assist me?" Lir did not wait for an answer as she wrapped an apron around her and tied a cloth mask over her nose and mouth. She tried her best to maintain the amount of gore that went flying and did not enjoy it getting close to her face so made every practise to keep it pristine.

"Has anyone else opened a similar corpse in the course of this investigation?" Trying to get what information she could from the man who exuded disinterest. While asking the question, she took the saw in hand and headed towards the dried up corpses figuring it would be the most difficult to get into them. She would have had the investigator open the first corpse but did not know if he was strong enough and she did not want to risk destroying them for lack of knowledge.

She was cautious as she made a plan to cut pull back the skin and saw through the chest cavity to have a look inside.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While he may have looked disinterested, Harbuck followed Lir’s every step with his eyes, moving to the side and pulling an apron for himself, putting the strap round his neck and tying it at the small of his back. He did not don a mask, but he did pull out a small, stoppered jar out of his pocket and a pungent, sharp and minty scent filled the air quickly. He took a bit of the shiny, oily salve from the jar upon his finger and coated his upper lip with it. Then he offered the jar to Lir. “Helps with the smell.” He waited for her to either take some of the salve or show she was not interested before adding. “And I am here mostly to watch and answer your questions, but I can get my hands a bit dirty.”

He pulled a long lungful from his cigarette and the scent of dried leaves mixed with the minty scent of the unguent. “And we opened them up before. They are as shriveled up inside as outside. Like water was sucked dry out of them some way.” He shrugged and took place beside the healer, flicking the nearly spent cigarette from his hand. “It only looks hard, but it is maybe a quarter of an inch thick. Cut slowly or the skin will crumble.” He did not try to stop her, figuring they had two bodies and that by the time they were done she would get the hang of it. While Harbuck wanted to catch the culprit, watching so many horrible deaths in the past months and being unable to catch whomever did it, left the man a bit hollow inside.

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”