The Burpin' Dragon (Jygust 30th, Late MT)

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Gani Young
Civus

The Burpin' Dragon (Jygust 30th, Late MT)

Post by Gani Young »

[The Burpin Dragon is a two floor friendly Inn for those travelers down on their luck. Run by an odd couple, this Inn caters to the poor and kind of heart. Here a man or woman can get experienced advice, new jokes and a place to stay for a very low price. Bardic and rogueish people tend to frequent this Inn the most. Bards share their talents and compete in a friendly atmosphere, while rogues can feel safe and secure for a night.

The well decorated foyer contains a grumbling old dwarf behind a desk, a place to hang your coat, a few comfy seats to rest in while waiting to check in, and a few baked goods to sample while your relaxing. A stairway leads up to the second floor and a doorway leads into the Bar, where sounds of merry fun can be heard.]

After that morning's shenanigans at the gate, Gani had walked through the city shamelessly, familiarizing himself with his new home. The city intrigued him, for his parents had always stuck to towns and villages, being the adventurers they were. The tall buildings and busy streets appealed to the young achadhiel. It would cost too much to travel out of the city, so he would be stuck in it whether he liked it or not. It was quite a relief to him that he felt more at home than he ever did while traveling with his parents.

Gani sighed upon entering the foyer. He was down on his luck with all other inns he visited, their prices being unaffordable with what money he had left after having to pay that fine. He needed to find a job within the next few days or he would have to resort to getting money through other means. Inspecting the homey room, his eyes landed on the basket of baked goods, and all thoughts of his financial status left him as his stomach let out a low roar, demanding food. Rubbing his stomach as if to comfort it, he hurried towards the basket, stuffing half of its contents into his mouth within a few flickers. It was then that he noticed the dwarf behind the desk. Choking on his food, the boy's face turned a bright red and for a couple of flickers, he felt as if his head was inflating. Scrubbing his arm on his mouth furiously and swallowing down the food hard, he walked up to the desk, trying to look relaxed and calm, hoping he didn't make too much of a fool out of himself. If there was anyone else checking in, he'd wait for them to finish before approaching dwarf.

"Hi there!" Gan exclaimed, still embarrassed of his actions. "I've been looking all over the city for a decent inn. How much for a room?"
Last edited by Gani Young on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who seek power will find it... And will be consumed by it.
[i] Avatar from drakonis.org, with minor editing by me. [/i]
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

"Good Mornin there, lad!" The dwarf greeted him with a grin on his face, having noticed the young man's haste with the food. "We've got a nice room for ya, 2 Lance a'night. Includes room and three meals. Pay in advance." Bill gestured at the basket. "And the meals include that fine bread. It's damn tasty, ain't it?"

He shook his head as he shuffled some papers. "Ah, It's a real challenge to stand 'ere, so close to the tasty stuff, I tell ya what."
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

Gan blushed once more as the dwarf mentioned the bread basket. "Yes, it tasted quite great," Gani smiled apologetically, scratching the back of his head. "Whoever made these is a saint! Your job sounds tougher than a crime lord's job during a crackdown!" The boy's cheeks slowly returned to their normal color as his smile changed from apologetic to polite.

"I apologize for my actions. It's just that I haven't had a decent meal for days now. Nor a good place to rest. Two lances sounds great, but with what I have right now I can only afford to stay here for a small amount of time. You don't happen to know where I can find a decent job, do you, Mister ...?' Gan asked, beckoning for a name as he handed the man the money. Better get this problem out of the way sooner than later, the boy thought. Get it out of the way and then you can have yourself a nice, relaxing bath. You sure smell like you need one.
Last edited by Gani Young on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Mezatino stepped into the Burpin' Dragons front room with a smile that not even a noble could ignore. Quite an odd looking figure as usual. The hood of his burgandy waistcoat hung loosly in his eyes with his long hair sticking out. A pair of baggy black pantaloons that only seemed held up by a belt and wickedly long knife. Not to mention Ladro, the ever klepto monkey riding upon his shoulder.

He didn't frequent the Burpin' too often, the prefered the more seedy taverns scattered abouts, but he had been there often enough to almost be considered a regular.

Upon walking in, he had caught but a small portion of Gan and the dwarf's conversation. Job hunting eh? Perhaps... Mezatino swiftly walked up to the front desk, pitching the dwarf a circlet. "Boarding and a bottle of wine upstairs. You're a good man, Bill, don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Leaning on the counter he turned towards the young achadhiel. "If he can help you and you want to act upon his advise...career wise, then go for it. A better life for ya. This here man," he said motioning towards Bill. "Is as honest and straightforward as they come. However..." He wetted his lips and smiled roguishly. "If your looking for some fun and excitement in a job that never really ties you down, perhaps you should meet me in the tavern area in a bit." Patting the young man on his shoulder, Mezatino lazily walked off. Never getting an answer from either man, and never saying good bye to the kid that just might not come looking for him.

If he's anything like i was at that age, he'll come to converse.
Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

Gan stared dumbly at Mezatino while he spoke. He continued to stare at the spot the man was leaning against for a couple of flickers after he left before turning around to face Bill. "So, uh, Mr. Bill. Who was that guy?" He asked, intrigued by the strange man. Mezatino, it seemed to Gani, gave an air of minor haughtiness that both attracted and repelled the achadhiel. His vague description of an "exciting job" had given Gan the smallest of mischievous smiles. The pet monkey he had with him only served to increase Gani's curiosity about the man and his offer. "And I'm still interested in any jobs you've got for me, sir," he said to the dwarf, but his interest in a normal job was decreasing rapidly. But at least get yourself some options, I guess, Gani thought to himself, though it looked like a decision has already formed in his mind.
Last edited by Gani Young on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

Bill laughed heartily as Gani blushed about the food. "A saint! Ha! Don't tell 'er that mate, then I'd hav'ta hear it all the time! The dwarf was about to say something about the job when one of his regular guests arrived. Bill grabbed the circlet with a grin. "Thank ye, Mezatino."

As the other guest moved on, Bill's attention turned back to Gani. "It's been tough these days to get some jobs. But I might know some people who can use a good hand. Come back to me at the end of the day if you haven't found anything yet, lad. I'll see what I can do fer ya."
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

Gani sighed inwardly. He had wanted to compare a normal job with what was to be given to him right along with Mezatino's job, so that he can make a decision right then and there so that his fantasies about this interesting job don't expand and take over his mind. The achadhiel smiled politely at the dwarf once more before saying "Thanks a lot, sir. Though I'm not sure if I'm going to come back," He said, staring at the door to the bar, his smile morphing into something more mischievous. "Thanks for the room. I'll be seeing you." Gan tapped the desk lightly in a way to say farewell to the inn-keeper, too distracted by his thoughts to mumble out any other words.

The boy entered the bar, looking around the room once before searching for Mezatino. He walked up awkwardly to the man, not knowing whether to greet him with a smile or not, for how did one greet men of mystery? As he reached Mezatino, he decided to just cut to the chase.

"So... About this job..." He began.
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

Mezatino was sitting there at a side table in complete relaxation waiting for the young man. A tankard of ale in front of him, most of his attention was on the thin bladed throwing knife in his hands.

At the sound of the young man's voice, Mezatino slowly looked up. His hood still drooping in his cunning eyes, that same mischevious grin on his face as always.

"Ah the job," he said. Discretely he pocketed the knife to its usual resting place. Soon he was picking apart his hemp, getting ready to pack a bowl. "Well the job depends on more than just if you're interested. Honestly I need to know alot more about you, if you ever want all the details."

Delicately, almost as if making love with the herb, he finally finished picking it apart and packed it into his glass bubbler. "Lets just say, in the upcoming days, I may be in need of a partner. For some, shall we say...very shady dealings." Lighting the pipe he took a deep hit of the intoxicating smoke. Exhalling he tried not to blow the smoke into Gani's face. "Naturally I'm intrested in procuring another hand to help me. But specifically I need someone young and fit, clever enough to outwit some Biancairre-like guard, and smart enough to know that I," here Mezatino paused. Making his point more clear by palming another knife and lowering his voice. "Am not to be triffled with."

Taking a moment of a breather, he puffed on his herbal pipe again, then offered it to the young man. A pearly smile on his face. "So tell me, are you still interrested? And if so, what do you have to offer?"
Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

DAZED & CONFUSED
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

As Mezatino started talking, Gani grabbed a seat and sat facing the could-be employer, listening intently to what he had to say. As vague as he was, the more that Mezatino talked about the job, the more excited Gan became. Shady dealings? Messing with guards? You've definitely got my attention, Gani thought. However, when Mezatino explained what he's looking for, the boy began to have this doubts as to if he qualified for the job.

Gani hesitated a moment when Mezatino offered his pipe, then shrugged and took it. He took the tiniest sip from the pipe before beginning to talk. "I definitely am interested in this job, though I want to keep my choices open for just a little while longer. But let's see if I qualify, shall we? As you can see I'm pretty young. I could say I'm agile, too. Fast runner. Not sure about 'fit', though. You're gonna have to define that more clearly. I've outwitted a couple of guards in my childhood, but I've never encountered a Biancairre guard before. Never been to the Mouth. I've - let's say - 'borrowed' petty things when I was a little kid and 'forgot' to return them. I know how to blend into some crowds. And most importantly, I would never fuck with my employer... As long as he doesn't fuck with me," He finished with a wink. There. Flat-out honesty. Let's see where that gets me.
Mezatino
Criminal at large

Post by Mezatino »

"In my eyes, fit, pertains to the work you intend" Emerald eyes looked the young man up and down, sizing him up. "In my particular world, well fit is more of a lean and athletic kind of person. At times its usful to be smaller and bendable. Never know when you're gonna have to dip out and hide in tight places." Drinking more of his beer, he sat back in silence for a moment.

"If I had to guess, I'd say you'd work just fine. So long as you understand, that if I say to do something, try not to think on it too long. It could get us caught up in alot of shit." Putting the knife away, he lend in close. "Heres the lay of the land. My employer is looking get a better foothold in the Citadel. As such he needs eyes and ears, knaves and buttonmen. Everything is needed, and I've been chosen to start this operation up. I've done alot of 'borrowing' with never an intention to return. And I have fought for my life on several occasions. This isn't a pretty world to become a part of, though..." Here he smiled, almost with childish glee. "I will admit, the adrenaline of getting away and doing whatever the fuck you want, well its amazingly fun."

"If you want in, I'll bring you in. However, if you feel like walking away, I wont stop you. This is your chance, boy."

Cocking an eyebrow his face took on a stoney and somber appearance. "Or will let me lead you by my black hand, and learn what it means to be red handed?"[/code]

DAZED & CONFUSED
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

Gani took a stronger sip from the pipe. "If that's your definition of fit, consider that criterion fulfilled," He said, stopping to cough. He had never smoked anything before in his life. "And of course, this job needs some quick thinking. Something I'd like to think I have. Though I must be honest; Some of my quick thinking has been quite... Awkward, you could say," Gan smiled almost apologetically, thinking about his misadventure at the gates. "I shall not go against your orders, but if I stick around long enough to be quite skilled at this job, I think I should gain the privilege of making some of my own decisions, if I see a better route in certain situations."

So he's not self-employed, Gani thought when Mezatino brought up mention of his own employer. Who could he be working for, I wonder? "Well, the adrenaline is about the only thing keeping me here right now," The boy grinned. "I've never been good at things that didn't excite me. But how much are you willing to pay me to work for you? One needs to live and one wouldn't mind a bit of some extra cash to spend. Either way, do you mind giving me a day to think things through? Like I said, I want to keep my options open; see what's out there for me."

He took another sip from the pipe, perhaps too strong a sip for a first-timer, for he began coughing hard and his eyes watered as his own smoke covered his face, forcing him to take a giant whiff of the hemp. He waved his hand around his face trying to clear the smoke while his other hand handed the criminal his pipe back. The achadhiel hesitated for a moment before asking, "And... Just out of curiosity- if I accept this job, would I have the pleasure of meeting your employer?"
Graves

Post by Graves »

(( OOC: Stepping in here to provide some moderation, since the thread looked like it could do with some action. :) I'll be your supporter from here on out. ))

"Looking for employment, are you?" a strong and brazen voice intoned from just behind Gani.

Her eyes were dazzlingly blue, the color of both sleet and pale skies, and were the first thing one might notice about her. The second was her rather impressive height, which made most men feel slightly threatened. From there, one's eyes were free to pursue the rest of her features-- the dazzling blonde hair which fell in soft layers around her arctic face, the squared chin and broad shoulders that suggested severity, and her fur-lined attire or the emerald beads which nestled in her hair in a veritible confection. All in all, even a blind man might be able to determine that this woman was from Trothgard...

"My name is Hilda da'Jofrio," she began simply and smoothly, her eyes twinkling just a little as she spoke, the emerald beads in her hair tinkling together. "I too am interested in hiring someone, though my parameters are far clearer." She offered a rather unsympathetic glance to Mezatino before returning to her target. Indeed, that's how those eyes would make one feel: like a target for a bird of prey.

She did not apologize for interrupting, but instead continued.

"You would receive a wage of 1 crown per week, in exchange for providing me with information. You will need to infiltrate a certain prestigious military organization. Your newness to this place," here she made an easy assumption, "along with your nondescript manners would make you an excellent candidate for the job. Your travel expenses will be covered, and documents provided as needed. Bonuses are, of course, offered for outstanding work. There is little danger of self, and you will not have to tangle with guards or break any laws so long as you don't completely screw the process up."

The woman nodded curtly, considering if there was anything left to say. Deciding, apparently, that there wasn't, she looked evenly at Gani and didn't even glance at Mezatino.

"What do you say? I have a room upstairs where we can discuss the details further. You can start immediately, I only expect loyalty and secrecy, nothing more."
Last edited by Graves on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]But remember when I moved in you,
And the Holy Dove was moving too,
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah...

--- Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah[/i]
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

As Gani turned around, the first thing he noticed about the woman was her height. The sitting achadhiel had to crane his neck to take a look at her face. From there, he saw her cold-looking eyes, both intimidating and attracting the boy. Of course, even without those eyes, her tall figure would intimidate Gan quite enough. As he noted the rest of her features, from the pale skin to the beads in her hair to the commanding air about her, he recognized her Trothgardian origin, having read up on Trothgard and its culture a while back.

As she glared at Mezatino, Gani felt a bit of sympathy for his could-be employer. To get a glare from such a woman could shrink one's self-esteem considerably. However, as she stared intimidatingly at him, he did not fear her, as his few sips of cannabis had relaxed him and he started to feel more care-free than before.

Hilda began talking about the job she was offering. 1 crown per week?! I love this city! Gan smiled inwardly. Had he hit the jackpot? A crown per week would be much more than enough to help him with his new life. The work was safer, Hilda had said, which took away from its excitement, but being an informant didn't sound bad at all. As Gani began to think of the offer, more and more questions buzzed around his hazy mind. What military organization was he supposed to infiltrate? Gani had noticed the emerald beads on the woman's head. What could a merchant, probably selling the clothes or jewelry the Jofrio clan was famous for, possibly want from a military organization? Gani decided to stop thinking about such questions momentarily.

"Gani Young," the boy introduced himself while seated. "A pleasure to meet you, Miss Hilda. I must say you definitely have both my curiosity and my greed in your clutches." Gani looked towards Mezatino. "I'm not quite sure if my new acquaintance can give me a price higher than what you're giving me. If you've heard me a few burns before your introduction, I keep my loyalty to those who are loyal to me themselves. And I believe that secrecy comes hand-in-hand with loyalty, am I right? However, if I don't like the details of this job, may I walk away? I give you my word that I shall not speak of this job after that, if my word means anything to you."

Before Hilda could answer, Gani was off his chair, ready to leave with the woman. His decision had been made, whether he could turn back or not. Right now, he didn't care about the consequences of his actions. The achadhiel looked once towards Mezatino to see if he'd protest.

"Sorry, but I guess you should start looking for another employee. However, I'm always willing to play for a bit if you need any assistance," Gani winked at the man. He then proceeded to follow Hilda Da'Jofrio to her room.
Last edited by Gani Young on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graves

Post by Graves »

(( OOC: Sorry this reply took so long! Midterms, you know! :( ))

"Loyalty is a trait my people are proud to possess," Hilda began evenly, her smile easy and bringing a surprising warmth to her features. "I wish you good luck in finding a thug, sir," the last offered to Mezatino with a somewhat (if it was possible) apologetic tone. Without another word, she looked appraisingly at Gani before continuing to lead him toward the Burpin' Dragon's stairway.

Once they were out of earshot, Hilda continued her explanation, fingers smoothing the pleats in her shirt as she spoke. "The job, as I said, is very secretive and the secrecy is the most important part. It's fortunate that you are new here, as I said. If you were to get caught, I would do anything in my power to disentangle you." A key was withdrawn; the door opened with a small creak.

At the threshold, Hilda paused for just a moment. "But know this: my employers can't risk getting mentioned, and neither can I. There can be no trail back to us. If removing you risks exposing ourselves, you will be on your own. Loyalty does not extend so far as to stupidity. The secrecy of the mission is more important than any of our personal qualms."

For an instant, Hilda looked sad and reminiscent, before the coldness returned and she stepped into the room: a simple affair, with a small table set in the center, covered with what looked to be nautical maps and diagrams. A wooden chest sat at the foot of the bed, against the far wall, and behind the bed an open window let in the cooling sea breeze.

"Is this all understood so far? Don't bother coming in-- while everything else may be negotiable, this one fact is not."

She'd stand expectantly over one of the chairs at the table, gesturing imperiously and indicatively at the one opposite hers, inviting Gani to make his acceptance of terms manifest.

Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

OOC: 'Tis alright. Been busy myself, as you can see^^'. Good luck with your exams!

As Hilda spoke of loyalty, Gani noted signs that indicated the woman was telling the truth. Or at least, what he hoped were signs pointing towards the truth. The woman seemed to truly value loyalty. If Gani were to work for her, he needed to be able to trust her. He was quite relieved when Hilda assured him she'd try her best to get him out of trouble, if he ran into any. He was still unsure whether to trust her or not, but his first impression of the Trothgardian was beginning to form.

Gani nodded slightly as Hilda defined the limits of her loyalty to him. So she's employed as well, the boy mused. He expected no more out of her than what she had said. Gan was fully aware that he was most likely but a pawn in larger schemes and sacrifices have to be made for causes. If he messed up, Hilda would have to sacrifice her loyalty to him.

"The secrecy of the mission is more important than any of our personal qualms," she had said, and her face swelled with sadness for a moment. Had she sacrificed anything.. or anyone.. for this mission? Gani pondered before Hilda opened the door to her room. As he saw the maps and diagrams scattered across the table, boyish fantasies took hold of him and adrenaline surged through his veins once again.

"Yes, it's understood, and I expect no more than that," Gani answered the woman before entering the room and heading towards the chair she had indicated.
Last edited by Gani Young on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graves

Post by Graves »

"Then we are in agreement."

Hilda paused for a few moments, her eyes set upon Gani as he moved to his chair opposite her. Her smile was wan, but genuine, and for the first time it was apparent to Gani how tired she looked. Though she was cold and imperious, the starts of dark circles were visible under her eyes, and her fingers seemed a bit jittery.

"Let's get straight into things, I detest small talk," she began in clipped tones, looking her new employee intensely in the eyes. "I need you to infiltrate a business venture for me. There is a man named Derrick Largos who used to be a small-time importer of liquor from Dort. Ordinarily he would be of no consequence to my family at all... but lately, he has been somehow offering ridiculous prices on his shipments of alcohol. Prices that the rest of the market doesn't seem capable of keeping pace with. In short, he's underselling the competition. Impossibly underselling. He should be losing money, but he's not. I need to know why. I need to know who he's talking to. I need to know who's investing. I need to know everything."

She paused, hoping she had not overwhelmed her new charge. "Derrick Largos is a very careful man. He replaces most of his crew and hires fresh sailors nearly every trip. Of course he has repeat hires, but his paranoia and secrecy ultimately is a great vulnerability I wish to take advantage of. Get close to him, but do not arouse suspicion. The room we are in now will be yours, as I suspect he must wait a few days for his investors to refill his cup before he departs. This is your opportunity to secure a post and learn what you can."

She smoothed a wrinkle from her shirt, the green beads in her head jingling with the motion.

"The ship is called The Fascination, and you should have no problem finding it at the pier. Its flag is a pair of widened eyes. Most ostentatious," here her tone was genuinely tepid, but she continued. "You may use your own name, of course, but any mention of myself or your mission will result in termination of our agreement. Payment is given upon information delivered."

"Now, before I go into specifics-- what do you think so far? Just peripherally, what are your impressions and ideas? And are you capable of the task?" It was an honest quest, not meant to diminish Gani, but rather assess.

Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

As Gani seated himself, he took a good look at his employer's face. He wondered what the woman was up to lately, as she looked like she hadn't slept well in days. She went straight into explaining what his job will be about and the boy was thankful for that; he was too excited to listen to small talk. He leaned forward on his chair and paid full attention to Hilda, his ears only absorbing her sound and his eyes focused only on her lips. He was determined not to miss a single detail of what she said.

Gani leaned back and thought about what Hilda had just told him for a flicker. He was to deceive this Derrick Largos into trusting the achadhiel and obtain the secret to how he could afford selling his liquor at such prices. Ideas of how to approach the problem started forming in Gan's mind, but he waved them all off. Such ideas would need more details about the man to work well.

"From what you've told me so far, this task sounds challenging, but within my capabilities. This really does sound like an interesting job. This Derrick guy... He sounds like a selfish show-off whose greed drove him into thinking that everyone is out to harm him and that he should trust no one. Am I right?" Gani asked, unsure of his statement. "I think, however, to do this job properly, I need more information. What else do you have to say about Derrick? His ship? Any other information that might come in handy?"

The boy wrapped his hands around each other and stared expectantly at his new boss, waiting for her to get into the specifics of the job.
Graves

Post by Graves »

(( OOC: Sorry for the long wait and the long post! ))

Hilda smiled with her eyes, a glittering and widening that could not be mistaken although her countenance did very little moving. It was clear that the Trothgardian approved of the statement, although externally all she offered was that twinkle in her eyes and a small nod.

"He's very greedy and vain, yes. He's always been paranoid, and very seldom had many close friends, but he is also very shrewd." She pursed her lips, as if choosing her words carefully. "He plays himself off as a casual sailor, a womanizer, a crude man, but I know this isn't the case. His paranoia has only grown more intense since he began making money, which makes me think he is not only afraid of being swindled, he is protecting some information as well..."

"Derrick Largos," she began anew, reciting information as if reading off of a list. "Comes from Kislovan, originally, and like most of the humans from that island, he seems to have a distaste for high elven culture. He is, however, a lover of elven women." Here she wrinkled her nose, as if the words were pungent on their own. "He also has a fondness for Nediel wine, but does not drink whiskey, even though he ships it."

"He has a more than passing interest in mysticism, and is one of the few who have tried employing casters to improve their fortunes. He is very interested in anything that can improve profits, regardless the cost. He is cut-throat in that regard. He would kill any man who stood between himself and profit. Bear that in mind, should you end up in a confrontation with him."

"The Fascination is a new ship, and supposedly has been enchanted to move faster and against currents-- though I don't know if this is just propaganda to explain his sudden fortune. It was paid for by an unknown benefactor, and his former ship-- the Serendipity-- was sold to a man named Michael Crane." Here her eyebrows rose sharply. "Who, conveniently, owns the establishments that now sell the liquor which Derrick is bringing in."

"He loves candor and honesty. He is also, according to... some information," here Hilda suddenly looked uncomfortable,"very loose-tongued when drunk. He also has no children, and in fact, some of my more immediate sources suggest that..." she paused, the discomfort on her face deepening into grooves of worry. "... well, perhaps he cannot father children for physiological reasons."

She did not elaborate, and the look on her face made it clear questions on that topic in particular were not going to be answered.

She gestured at a chest against the wall, beneath the window. "There are clothes in there, everything you would need to be a youth desperate for employment and adventure. You have a love for adventure stories, and you will find two bound adventures of Adrian Nestlingway's treks in Sierra and beyond. I assume you have at least passing familiarity with those stories?" They were common Tazlurian stories, the sort every child has heard at least one of. They weren't complex books, and were often used as primers.

"Those same books were what Derrick often-- drunkenly-- quotes as the source of his inspiration to sail and enterprise. It might give you a small edge. Beyond that, you must act on your own."

With that, Hilda slid her chair back and stared appraisingly at Gani.

"You can begin immediately. I'm sure you'll find Largos aboard his ship at this tide, unless he is meeting with business associates-- which may be even more valuable. Do not disappoint me."

At last, she smiled; slyly. Knowingly.

Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

OOC: Sorry for posting so late. School's been giving me a tough time lately :(

Gani listened intently to every detail Hilda told him, making mental notes of key information. Gani's first impression of the man became apparent and he marked the ways he could gain access to Largos' trust. Wine would definitely come to an advantage, especially if Derrick showed the hearty side of himself while drunk. It would be easier to reach the man's adventurous side while drunk. As Gani knew nothing about magic, he doubted he could come off as a good caster and any lies that Derrick Largos detected could cause trouble for the boy and his employer.

Hilda sounded uncomfortable as she discussed how loose-tongued Derrick was and how he could not father any children, increasing Gan's attention and interest in the matter. She was most definitely hiding something from him, but the look on her face told him to not even test the waters on talking about this subject.

Gani had, of course, read the two stories about Nestlingway's adventures, but he figured one more read through them would not hurt him. It has been a while since he had last read the stories and if he were to impress Largos, he'd probably have to memorize some lines perfectly.

Gan mentally jotted down "Michael Crane" and "the Serendipity". He might have to investigate both if he was to find information about Largos' recent activities. "One last question," Gan started. "If you don't mind, can you tell me more about this Michael Crane fellow?"

The Trothgardian's smile confused the young boy, but he nodded anyways. "I'll get right to it. Guess I don't need a bath, seeing as I'll be imitating sailors for a while," he said, half to himself, realizing for the first time that day of how much he stunk. He got up and headed towards the chest by the window.
Graves

Post by Graves »

(( OOC: I had a series of unfortunate real life troubles... I am incredibly sorry for the delay. :( ))

Hilda straightened even further at the mention of Michael Crane, her eyes glinting not with malice but with serpentine awareness. "Michael Crane is a dangerous man who thinks a little more highly of himself than he perhaps should. Such is the way of men who inhabit this island's underworld. Very egotistical. Very... confident." She paused, twisting her lips in a way that suggested uncertainty, not in what she knew but in what she was going to say.

"But his personality is certainly not really relevant to your questioning, I guess," here she grinned wryly, realizing she had allowed herself to get off track. "Sorry, I've spent so much time with these people I forget that it's not their inner workings that people care about." She placed a finger on the table, slowly tracing an arc as she spoke.

"He owns much of the Pier district, mostly bars and easy money makers... he's listed as the secondary signer on a number of other deeds in the district. Houses of ill repute. Drug dens. That sort of thing. His name is clean in public, but it's fairly clear to even the least astute of observers that he's running his dirty clothing through the filter that is the pier." Her finger left behind a small trail of moisture on the surface of the table as it continued to move.

"Listen for words like 'white dust', 'terra incognita', and 'hafne'..." she frowned. "Those words, in my experience in this place, point toward Michael Crane. Much like 'Glenn Garrich', 'whiskey', and 'Largos' point to Derrick."

Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

OOC: Not a problem. I've been busy with school work until quite recently, so this is some perfect timing^^. Hooray for holidays! And good luck with your problems.

"So do you think the Pier district might hold some information about Largos? Or at least Largos' relationship with Crane?" Gani pondered half to himself, holding his head by the chin with his right hand while he scratched his eyebrow with his left hand. Michael Crane sounded like someone to look into. However, Gani needed to know how long he had to get the information to go about his business.

"Do you know when Largos leaves port? And how long does it usually take for him to go to Dort and come back?" Gani asked, not expecting a solid answer.

"I'm sorry, you look pretty tired," the boy finally said. "You should get some rest. I'll start on the job immediately, but how do I contact you?"
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

Hilda caught herself staring at the young man. In the back of her mind she could not decide if he could do the job or if he was just going to be another lamb for the slaughter.

Her mind snapped back to the here, and now as she tried to answer his questions.

"The Pier district will hold information on Largo, but in asking questions down there you will open yourself to being exposed." "The people down there will always sell you out." This she knew from the last person she had sent in.

"Michael Crane is a person you should avoid at all cost. If you do get written evidence on him, believe me your life will hold little value." "Please in that case, run here, and I will be here to help you."

"As for how long you have to gather information." "I prefer it as soon as possible, but I understand from past experience that it takes time to build a cover and to build trust." "Largo will be leaving soon, because the word on the docks is that he is looking for new a crew."

"If you get information, write a letter to your Aunt Fanny, your friend or your lover in care of the Burpin Dragon room thirteen." "Please do not try to code a message into the letter, just tell who ever that you are fine, how things are going at your new job as a sailor, and that you can't wait to get back home." "The letter in its self will tell me that you have information, and that we need to meet."

"As far as your pay goes: we agreed on one gold crown a week." "That will be your basic pay, as I stated earlier I understand it takes time to build a cover." "If you get information, then I will pay you for that information on top of your base pay." "As for how much more I will pay you will depend on the information you bring back."

"So unless you get some important information in the next day or two, I real don't expect to hear from you again." Take care, and good luck."

Hilda moved to leave, but not before offering her hand in a good bye hand shake. As Gani took her hand she pressed a coin into his palm.

"Remember it is only money, its not worth your life."

With that said she turned, leaving the young man to his task.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.
Gani Young
Civus

Post by Gani Young »

The pier sounded pretty bad to Gani, but from the tone of Hilda's voice, he could tell that Crane was much worse. His curiosity about the man grew exponentially as each word about him left Hilda's mouth, but he decided to stay away from the man. For now, at least. He would certainly not want to end his life when it was just about to get lucky, with all the money he was to receive.

"I don't like the idea of getting off the island as soon as I came here, but I guess I can get much more out of Largos in the safety of his ship, where there is more of a chance that I'll die." Gani shivered at the thought, but didn't linger much on it. "I should have something on him by the time I get back."

Remember it is only money, its not worth your life.

Hilda's final warning chilled the boy for some reason. What he considered a mere game finally turned into reality. As soon as Hilda walked out that door, he would start his mission. He walked up to her and shook her hand, surprised to feel the coin in his hand. "T-thanks," he said, before he grinned once more. "I'll see you soon, hopefully. Goodbye."

As the door closed behind him, Gani walked back towards the chest by the window. Opening it up, he started undressing himself, his heart racing as reality closed in on him even further. This was how he was going to start his new life.
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

As Gani went through the chest he founded a few blank scrolls, a quill, and a small vile of ink. A pair of sandals. Two white tunics with sleeves. Two pair of canvas breeches. A cutlass and a dagger, in sheaths, attached to a studded brass buckle belt. Towards the bottom of the chest he found a wool cap, and a wool jacket. The clothes weren't a perfect fit, but they were close enough to be comfortable.

Gani also noticed that the chest had handles on the sides. Like it was made to be carried on the shoulder while holding the handle.

Once he got dressed he knew there was nothing else to do, but go to the docks and see if he could get hired on to the crew of the 'Fascination.'

ooc: Please make you next post in the thread titled 'Merchant Wars - Down on the Docks' (Jygust 30th TT).
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

Locked for skilling!

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”