Looking for Books[Bower Market] E-MT-Jy 33 [Open To Any/All]

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Lorcan
Civus

Looking for Books[Bower Market] E-MT-Jy 33 [Open To Any/All]

Post by Lorcan »

While the bulk of the Citadels finer goods find places in the finer shops and markets of the wealthier districts, the Bower has slowly grown as the open trade market for the more mundane products harvested or imported from the seas. An open plaza in the harbor district itself, the ever-changing market bears merchants of more modest means selling imported grains, flour, ripe produce, and the freshest fish to be found in the Citadel, some of which still wrestle for life upon the rickety carts that only just arrived from the West Mole. Hawkers ply their wares here as well, their rough shouts offering goods either stored in nearby warehouses or, in some cases, still aboard the ships that brought them in.

It was early, hopefully before the rush of the Market got going and the streets weren't packed. Not that would make much difference to one on foot, but it could cause problems just getting around to look at what was for sale this morning. Ever since the second mark of the morning he'd been wandering slowly from stall to stall in a search for inexpensive books. His search had yet to got very well for he had little -on hand- to spend and wasn't exactly willing to go fetch more.

Lorcan paused and leaned against the wall of a relatively empty alley and stretched and yawned. Dressed in his usual tunic, breeches, shoes and cloak he looked more like a rough merchant than the Unemployed Servant he was. Of course there was the ever present satchel and his book -An In Ordu Lubra- tucked away inside. With a reassuring pat to his book Lorcan strode back out into the early morning and the market and continued his search. It took a while to work his way around and eventually stopped to lean against yet another wall and observe the market.

After another few burns he decided that if he couldn't find what he was looking for here in the market he'd see if he could get into the Imperial Archives and hopefully find what he was looking for there. 'Well lets see, Have to find the reference book for mine, and possibly a few more books on mazes if I can manage. Though I think some elementary books on Elf would be good.' He thought to himself. Yearning to be a librarian would mean being able to learn more languages and master reading and writing and unfortunately that would take some time, hence the search for appropriate books.

As he searched he also kept an eye out for any prospective employers or -in the rare event there were any- prospective partners. He was looking for both almost as much as he was looking for his books. It had been a good two yahren since Harquin and he was feeling a little out of sorts due to this. With a sigh he paused and let his eyebrows go down in a small scowl. "Oh, blast it all. I may just have to look else where..." And so decided he began to wander off, still looking.
Last edited by Lorcan on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sweet Mother of... Hey!" ~ Lorcan
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

The Bower Market was mainly a market used for foods. All sorts of foods of course, which all came from overseas. The citadel had quite some fish to export, but since it was basically built on one big rock, it didn't have much else.

Lorcan passed by one food stand after the other, spices, herbs, meat, fish, wheat, vegetables. As he started to walk away from the market he noticed a couple of smaller stands in a corner which were selling all kinds of trinkets. There were some lanterns with foreign designs, some cloth and there were two cases of books in one of the stands. An older, dusky man with dark curly hair was looking through the book cases. "Hmmm...let's see if there is anything interesting in here today. You never know what one can find!" He said as he gave a wink to the young lady who was shyly waiting behind the stand to see if a customer wanted to buy something.
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Lorcan
Civus

Post by Lorcan »

Lorcan paused ans studied the woman, man and stand -and more particularly the books- before he started over. Not wanting to look too eager to get at the books he wandered over and looked at the trinkets and the other miscellaneous things the woman had to sell and finally over to the book cases. He stood off of the other, older man's left shoulder and worked on trying to pick out the title of the book he knew was the one he was looking for.

The Learscail, Deanamh & Leiriu was a secondary book mentioned to contain the imagery references in the An In Ordu Lubra, which Lorcan was now on a search for, thus his appearance here in the first place. After all you could understand plenty about mazes but it was sort of hard to see what the author was talking about with 'see Page 9, Refrence #13' when you didn't have the reference book itself!

So he looked and looked and after a minute straightened up and considered the books before him. "Well... She's got some very interesting reading material I'll give the Lady that." He said with a charming grin all for the Lady and turned back to the books.
"Sweet Mother of... Hey!" ~ Lorcan
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

The young girl smiled. "Thank you, sir." She said as she quickly looked away to the ground before anyone could see her cheeks turning red. The older man looked up at the stranger and smiled. "Ah yes, she has indeed! I'll tell you something, lovely Brionna here has an amazing sense for books and good stories! She is able to pick out the best of m!" He gave Lorcan a nudge with his shoulder. "Which is why I always need to be here first. Gotta make sure the best books end up in my store!" He winked as he held up four books for Brionna to see. "I'll take these, please." Knowing her prices fully well, he handed her 5 circlets, giving her one as a tip.

Brionna accepted the coins with a slight bow. "Thank you, Hadvin. Always a pleasure of doing business with you."

Hadvin bowed back. "The pleasure is all mine!" The man put the books in his leather backpack and then turned to Lorcan once more. "If I may be so free, what kind of books are you looking for, sir?"
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”