From the Ground Up (Risque, Jygust 30th ET)

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Morg

From the Ground Up (Risque, Jygust 30th ET)

Post by Morg »

Morgan had spent a good deal of time in the Citadel since his talk with Mistress Tabeann. He'd had two aims in mind: he wanted to find out about Verleaux Manor, and he wanted to find out what was behind the strange ritual murders the Citadel was witnessing. In the first aim he'd had some small amount of success: at least he'd found out roughly what the place was and who operated it. But in the second he'd drawn a complete blank. No one he'd spoken to seemed to have any idea about who or what was behind the murders. At first he'd simply been morose and accepted the failure. Today, however, he was more upbeat - because he'd finally figured out what he'd been doing wrong all this time. I've been looking in the wrong place. Not physically, but socially.

Getting information out of the lower classes of the Citadel was relatively easy. They could be a tight-lipped, insular bunch, but a small amount of coin or the offer of a drink would usually help to loosen tongues. Having grown up in the Dort Midlands, born into a family of yeoman farmers, Morgan was well acquainted with such people, and this familiarity also helped.

The upper classes, however, were a completely different kettle of fish. Here Morgan's money - which had in any case been running short since he left home and started studying - was next to useless. In the upper classes throwing coin about was vulgar. Instead it was about who you knew, and how. And therein lay Morgan's problem. The answers to the questions he sought appeared to lie in the upper social strata of the Citadel. Verleaux Manor was owned by a nobleman, and the victims of the murders were all well-off young men. But Morgan didn't have any contacts in those circles. This eveningtide he was aiming to remedy that, by heading to the place that seemed frequented above all others by the Citadel's high flyers.

Among the wealthy shops and mansions of the Patrician's Ring was a club that had earned a place in the hearts of the wealthy citizens that lived and worked nearby. Risque was perhaps drab to look upon, the three story building broad and severe with a line of coachmen outside always waiting for their next fair, the windows and doors of the building obscured and glowing with the light from within yet refusing to divulge the secrets of what lay beyond. In the Eveningtide marks of the day, carriages and chases and people afoot flocked to the Risque, slipping in quietly amid a host of modestly-dressed door guards and servants, walking out of the manicured, orderly streets and into the posh parlour beyond.

The entry foyer of Risque instantly established the wealth and leisure of the establishment, with a modest podium at the front from which the club's host would meet and direct all guests initially. While the host often changed, the room did not...a room decorated in rich reds and soft, sublte browns placed tastefully around the room along with a majestic statue of Pecunia herself, though a rather salacious and nearly indecent representation of the Fortune Goddess. Rich wall hangings and paintings decorated the walls, one of which was the infamous Rue of Fate, which depicted a melted coronet dripping into a wine glass. Where the walls were not covered in paintings and hangings, there were banners...a hundred banner coins, each nailed into the walls to make them sparkle with the copper of their stamp, a strange custom of the house that had begun in times unremembered for reasons unknown. The modern custom was for a new banner to be nailed into the wall for every new member of Risque, for memberships were required for entry beyond the foyer of the fine club.

Morgan had dressed himself in his one suit of elegant clothes, an imperial purple ensemble topped by a floppy black hat. Looking smart would hopefully ensure that he didn't get turned away at the door, but at the same time it wouldn't be enough to get him past the foyer. Something cleverer would be required.

The magus attuned himself to the Aether, dark green-brown eyes surveying the building for any signs of magickal activity. Specifically he wanted to see if the building had any wards in place, although he didn't expect it to. Few buildings did, aside from the Citadel palace, the University and the occasional temple or embassy.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

Club Risque was booming business, especially during the summer. It had known it's ups an downs during the yahren, but there seemed to be quite a large generation of young elite nobles in the city these days. And they were ready to party.

As Morg scanned the building he couldn't see any wards. There had been attempts to shield off all magical activities in the past, but that had proven to be a huge mistake. The elite young adolescents used all sorts of cantrips to enhance their social activities. They tried to stand out from the rest by making subtle, or sometimes not so subtle, changes to their appearance. During the time where they had banned magic from the club, things had been rather empty inside.

It was still early and the evening was yet to begin, so there wasn't any real line forming yet. The doormen standing at either side of the entrance seemed to be letting the ladies in without any problem, while groups of men without any females around them seemed to have a harder time, even at this hour. It wouldn't be a problem to get behind the doormen, yet once inside, Morg would be greeted by the host.

The host was the one who decided who got a membership and who didn't. Once Morg was in he would see that the host was quite an eccentric guy. He was around the same age as Morg and had short, black hair that was styled to make it look as if one half of a bowl was pressed onto it, making the hair stand up in a round curve to the right. The crazy long blue eyelashes and the amazingly red lips gave the guy quite an androgynous look. He stood on his podium and lightly tapped Morg on the shoulder. "Hey there, sexy. You're new here. I know. I never forget a handsome face." He licked his lips with his apparently green tongue. "Do you have an invitation? Otherwise I'd might to eat you alive...would be such a shame...raurrrr."
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Morg

Post by Morg »

It wasn't wards against magick itself that Morgan was looking for. Although that sort of ward was very important - since magick was practically the only way to defend effectively against magick - there were other kinds too. Insect-repelling wards had been all the rage at the University ever since its unexpected translocation into a jungle. More importantly for Morgan's current purposes, one could ward against various physical threats, such as fire, flooding, and unwanted entry. In any case, he could make out no wards at all, which was just fine for his purposes. Satisfied, and pleased that the club wasn't yet at its busiest, he made his way to the entrance hall, where he was greeted by a rather outlandish-looking man.

To say that Morgan was unused to being addressed in this way would have been a huge understatement. Oh dear, he could feel himself thinking. I'm in way over my head. Fortunately, Morgan had changed somewhat over the past few months. He was still by no means expert at hiding his thoughts and feelings, but his countless trips to the Citadel to elicit information had instilled a certain distance in him, such that his expression was not always in accordance with the immediate workings of his mind - which was a good thing, as otherwise his jaw would probably have dropped. This encounter was at least as much of a test of his inner calm as the giant ants.

"No invitation," he stated honestly, spreading his palms wide. "I hope you like your steak raw and gristly." He grinned conspiratorially, but on the inside he was more confused than ever. Where did that come from? A certain part of Morgan - perhaps the part of him that had changed while he was exploring the ruins of the Red Banner - was enjoying the exchange.

Now a little concern did appear on his face, but this concern was entirely intentional and feigned. "I just came in because I thought I'd better warn you," he continued in a lower voice. "Did you know that this place has no magickal protection whatsoever?" The way Morgan phrased it, it was as if this were a rarity rather than being the usual state of affairs.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Having spend an exciting day outside in the city, well for a Baroness not used to walk around free and unattended at any rate, Rosalie had returned to the Marcada estate after briefly returning to the Embassy where she switched clothes. Back home she spend a light dinner with her husband, informing him of her plans to spend an evening at the Risque. The former Mouthie lady knew her husband was unlikely to accompany her and she had told him it was alright. She had to go of course, to maintain a presence. Secretly she also liked the interaction of girls and boys her age, the presence of a husband much older than herself sometimes constricting her beyond reason. Rose had kissed the forehead of Illish as a good and obedient wife, before departing to her bedroom to change for the evening of fun, taking a full hour to get ready.

In her hurry to depart Rosalie noted to her chagerin too late that it was still somewhat early. Merde. How unfashionable. Briefly she considered doing a drink at the Burpin Dragon first, but no, not the way she was dressed now. Gesturing to her uniformed bodyguards to stay with the coach, she stepped out, rearranging the folds of her rather expansive dress, billowing about her. It was silk, an audrey's original, several layers of flimsy material before the dark red silk revealed itself, in a wide princess line that was that famous mix between Mouthie and Citadel fashion, setting the petite Ambassador aside as quite unique. It suited her olive skin and her auburn hair. Because of her eyes Audrey had made little amber beads upon her stomacher, sparkling in the light of any nearby torches, though it was not dark yet.

Rosalie of course had been a member of the Risque since her early days in the Citadel, nearly a year ago, Thomas Crane buying her one, though he had been compensated long since by her father. So, she sailed past the doormen with a friendly nod of recognition and expected to move past the host with similar ease. He appeared to be in intimate conversation with some young man though. Strange hat. "Now, now, are you already hitting on the young men, so early in the evening?" she teased the man lightly, knowing full well that he enjoyed such libertine talk.
Last edited by Rosalie Marcada on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Pacing down the street, pleased as a cat in the cream, Valya hardly resembled the snarl haired girl who had crashed the scene mere months ago. Her dark chestnut hair was evenly trimmed and brushed to a high sheen, nicely swept up to show off the creamy skin of her neck and shoulders, loose pieces barely brushing the delicate line of her jaw. Still, her rough edges refused to be completely smoothed. Salty residue from her frequent swims never seemed to completely wash out of her locks, bringing out the natural curl in long corkscrews around her narrow face. Her right hand held her skirts with a newly acquired self possessed grace but her true nature betrayed her in the jut of her chin and the forward thrusting energy of her shoulders.

Val sauntered up the entrance of the Risque. She had spent a pleasingly dissolute afternoon at the beach, mysteriously dismissed from Rosalie’s employ for the day, and she was now ready to reconnect with her mistress for a night of leisure. With a sly greeting to the doormen she slipped inside. Val wondered if such sights would ever lose their wonder. Each glittering banner on the wall dazzled her eyes, as if seen for the first time; the sumptuous surroundings engulfed her in a tide of decadence. Whatever charms her life at home had held faded away in the red gold glimmer of candlelight on damask. Had there ever before been such beautiful, dangerous, carefree people? Had there ever been a place like the Citadel, full of mystery and possibility? No. Her eyes found the whole world in this one room. And she was proud to walk among them unchallenged. She was supremely pleased with herself and therefore found herself pleased with everyone and everything presented to her. She caught sight of Rosalie.

“Mistress! Oohooo! I’m over here!!” Well, you could take the girl out of the country. She stepped to her side with a toothy grin for the host and Morgan. Valya took a moment to admire Rosalie. She was delighted by the pair they made, the contrast of their hair, eyes, and skin accentuating and enhancing the uniqueness of the other. Even her dress, softly pearlescent blue and cream silk, complemented her mistress’ own.
It's such a sad old feeling
the fields are soft and green,
it's memories that I'm stealing
but you're innocent when you dream. - Tom Waits
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

The host his eyes widened as Morgan admitted he had no invitation. “tsk, tsk.” He let his hands slide over his chin, at least that was what the gesture seemed like until Morgan noticed that it wasn’t actually the fingers that were touching his skin, but rather his insanely long nails. Apparently the man was now checking out Morgan’s mid section. “mmm…I don’t see much steak there, honey.”

At the remark of no wards being in place, the host leaned over. His face was now right next to Morgan’s and he whispered. “Shhh. Don’t tell anyone and I might let you in, cutie.” As the man was looking behind Morgan, he saw Rosalie just walking by the two doormen, Vico and Vito who greeted her as they always did, showing recognition of the fact that she too was from the Mouth. Rosalie, having seen the host, who called himself Charlesmagne, before was greeted warmly. With quite the yelp Morgan was somewhat pushed aside as Charlesmagne stepped off of his podium and gently laid his hands on Rosalie’s arms. He gave Rosalie three fake kisses on the cheeks and responded: “How are you, girl? It’s been way too long!” He grinned. “Has the old lech let you out of your cage again?”

When Valya walked over, Charlesmagne could hardly contain his enthusiasm as he hopped up and down, squeaking like a little girl. “By Pan's Sausage, it’s Valya!” She too got three fake kisses. “I was afraid this would be a slow night, but now I know the party is on!” He clapped his hands frantically. “All the ladies in the house!”
Morg

Post by Morg »

This whole process seemed to be easier than he'd expected. Instead of providing any real resistance to the idea of Morgan entering the club, the host appeared to be actively encouraging it. Clearly he's impressed by my air of authority. Or maybe he's seen my name on the List of Heroes of the Citadel. Morgan was happy to think up various explanations that didn't involve the obvious one. Aware, however, that his midriff was being critically examined, he responded in the same cheerful way. "It's quality rather than quantity." He gave his stomach a small pat.

He was saved from the uncomfortable exchange by the arrival of a woman in red silk who Morgan vaguely recognised. At Rosalie's comment the young mage had the decency to blush, although his floppy black hat remained dispassionate as it surveyed the newcomers from its lordly position atop Morgan's head. The second of the newcomers made an even more dramatic entrance than the first. Morgan returned Valya's grin with a tentative smile, but he didn't spend long on it, because the host was now occupied with the new arrivals.

While the strange young man greeted Rosalie and Valya, Morgan turned and walked straight into the main body of the club with a nonchalant nod, sauntering in as if he had every right to be there. After all, the host as good as let me in, and he's moved on to the next person in line. If it worked, Morgan wouldn't even have to go to the trouble of implementing his original plan to gain access.

Once inside and out of sight, he surveyed the scene, glancing around for the object of his visit: young, rich people who looked like they were having fun.
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Ooc: Erm, should I wait for Rosalie or post?
Last edited by Valya Nix on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Rosalie laughed and returned the affected air kisses in similar manner "You are so naughty Charlesmagne, truly you are. Do not let him catch you calling him an old leech or you'll float upside down in the harbour within the mark, you know that." It was, of course, all said in good fun.

"There you are Valya. Don't shout so much. I'm standing right here," Rosalie admonished, for ever trying to make her maid into something of a lady, a lady in waiting. It was however done with a smile, as she felt some fondness to the girl. Valya would know that she treated the rest of her staff far more sternly.

The Ambassador laughed at Charlesmagne's attention, enjoying being in the center of it, yet her amber eyes briefly followed the strange hat into the clubhouse just before them. "Find out for me who that is," she whispered on a whim to Valya. It was good for the girl to practising her most essential skills as her lady in waiting.

"Come now, our grand entrance," Rose declared to Valya, linking arms with her and leaving Charlesmagne to greet his next guests.

OOC: Sorry for my absence. Next time I'm away too long just improvise. I won't mind ;)
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

“Charliemangle!” Valya greeted the host with a playful mispronunciation of his name along with the fashionable kisses. “You ran that boy off just as I was about to ask him if he would like to have a dance. One must be friendly to newcomers and all that. Oh! Um, yes, Mistress, I mean, no, Mistress, I won’t shout.” Valya squirmed and grinned under Rosalie’s tutelage, all fluffy feelings and big trusting brown eyes. “Right, Mistress, oh, see if I don’t find out.”

Walking arm and arm with her Mistress into the club Valya’s attention was scattered to every winking jewel, flashing silk, and laughing face. A night such as this one was so full of possibilities. Who might ask her to dance first? Surely someone would be around directly. She scanned faces for female friends to wave to and young men to give the eye.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

As Morgan entered the main hall, followed closely by Rosalie and Valya, they could see that the party was already getting started. The place was filling up nicely. On the left side, close to the bar, were Miles and Jane de Simon, accompanied by Damien Redault. Valya knew them all of course from her previous escapades in the nightlife of the Citadel and Jane immediately waved as she saw Valya walk in.

On the other side of the bar was Jacob de Besnie talking to a few different people, amongst which were two lovely ladies who seemed to be enjoying his jokes..or was it the drinks that he was providing? In any case the bar was filled up with lots of different people, but there was still some space to join in and order drinks or talk to the bartenders about the daily buzz.

In the middle was the dance floor, with the band playing the music at the back. There were already some people dancing, but not many yet. On the right edge of the dance floor, Etain stood, shaking her hips to the rhythm of the music, signaling that she would love to dance. With her were Eisolf and Lucienda Marcada, who were both frequent visitors of the club. As Lucienda saw Rosalie walk in she let out a deep sigh and the look on her face turned dark. For a flicker it seemed as if her amber eyes had turned completely black as she looked straight at Rosalie. If looks could kill, the Baroness would be instantly dead. The girl then poked Eisolf in the side and nudged over to the entrance. As Eisolf saw Rosalie, he just shrugged, took another sip of his drink and just continued his talk with Etain.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Much of Morgan was still hesitant about this whole endeavour, but he could be persistent when he wanted to be, and right now he wanted it very much. His deep-set green-brown eyes flickered over those present, looking for targets. The reaction of the two dark-haired young people to the well-dressed woman who'd arrived behind him was interesting, and he filed it away for future reference. That's another thing about the upper classes. All sizzling feuds above and below the scenes.

The striking blonde girl dancing alone was of more interest, though. Morgan immediately sensed that there was an opening here. Adjusting the brim of his black floppy hat so that it sat lower over his broad forehead (astonishingly, for once it did what he wanted), and ensuring that his fur-lined cloak sat comfortably over his shoulders, he began to make his approach: not directly, in a beeline, but purposefully despite his apparent nonchalance and casual glances from side to side. Morgan was under no illusions about his own appeal; he'd never received more than an average amount of attention from the opposite sex. In this situation, though, he had the advantage of being a man of mystery. Now all he had to do was avoid throwing that advantage away.

The purple-clad magus rounded the dance floor and sidled up to Etain, approaching so that he was intruding very slightly upon her personal space. "Now what's a lovely creature like you doing without a dance partner?" he murmured in a low, smooth voice, getting straight to the point. "Please - allow me to remedy the situation." Allowing himself to begin swaying the the music, he extended his arm, his gaze oscillating between her face and her chest.

Now why am I doing this again? Ah, yes, to establish contacts and elicit information. That's it. For all his magusness, Morgan was still a man, and the thrill of the hunt wasn't at all alien to him.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

Etain had been swaying her hips to the music and babbled on about little things. Lucienda didn't even pretend to listen, she really wasn't interested in the small talk right now. She gave Rosalie another deadly glance. It would be such an interesting night. Eisolf wasn't really listening either, although at least he pretended and nodded and smiled to the girl when appropriate. In the mean time he was glancing over the dance floor, wondering if there were any interesting prospects for that evening.

Etain looked up surprised as the man wit the strange hat talked to her and offered her a dance. Eisolf arched a brow and was about to say something harsh and cold when Etain looked at Morg with her big blue eyes, giving him a quick look from top to bottom. It wasn't always a good idea to dance with strange men, especially when they were completely unknown in the popular scene. But Etain never really cared for those unwritten rules and she was getting quite bored with the Marcadas tonight. The girl giggled. "Why, that sounds like a wonderful idea, sir!" She gracefully put her hand in his and let him lead her onto the dance floor. Eisolf now arched both his brows. That was a move he hadn't expected..and yet...he knew it shouldn't have surprised him. Etain was such a naive girl. He sighed as he looked at them. "This will be interesting" He muttered into thin air.

As Etain followed Morgan onto the dance floor she completely followed his lead, waiting for him to get into the proper dance position. Immediately people on the other side of the dance floor started looking. Who was this guy that was about to dance with Etain? She placed one arm on his shoulder and looked up from under her eyelashes. "Now, before we start the dance, mister with the hat, I think you should tell me your name."
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Valya returned Jane’s wave and then some, bouncing up onto her slipper encased toes to peek at Damien and Miles. She would have to make her way over there as soon as Rosalie was properly seated and seen to. The thrill of having friends her own age was a long way from wearing off for Valya.

As they walked by Eisolf and Lucienda Valya could feel her heart beat a little faster. She set her mouth and jerked her chin imperiously. She didn’t know what it was about those two, but she didn’t trust them. Some animal sense of self preservation made her wary; those two could do her harm if they wished. And they seemed to have something against her Mistress, which was terribly unreasonable. In Valya’s mind she thought they should be grateful that their father had found such a sweet, sensitive, beautiful woman to care for him in his old age. Val had overcome her shyness around Illish Marcada and thought him very sweet; she loved to fetch and carry for him, and she ran to do any little task he might set her. What a nice man. How terrible that he had such children. Eisolf especially made her blood run cold. She was afraid of him, as she was of very few people.

Val cast a sideways glance at Rosalie and wondered for the hundredth time how her Mistress had ended up married to a man so much her senior. Naturally, there must be some very romantic or tragic story behind it all. She did, though, know better than to ask. So she decided to ask a different question. “Mistress, would you like some wine?” Val cast an eye anxiously over at the bar where Miles and Jane stood. While she was over there socializing she could also casually inquire into the strange new man’s identity. “We can find you a good seat, Miss, and I’ll just run and get you something nice and cool to drink…”
Morg

Post by Morg »

Normally Morgan would have been mortified by this whole situation, especially when people on the other side of the room started looking his way. But this eveningtide he was on a strange kind of autopilot, and felt almost... possessed. He wrapped his long fingers around Etain's protectively as he led her to the dancefloor, giving them a gentle squeeze when she asked about his name. "Now, really," he chided her jokingly, playing on her curiosity. "What does my name matter? I am myself, no more and no less, and I am here to provide you with a little fun. But, since you did ask," he continued, "I'm usually referred to as Morgan. Morgan Scrylock." As she put a hand on his shoulder, he snaked an arm around the back of her waist.

The next bit would be the fun bit. Confidence could get you so far, but wasn't the answer to everything... and Morgan had absolutely no idea how to dance. The way he reasoned it, it couldn't be too difficult. Even a lot of really stupid people can dance. I, on the other hand, am relatively intelligent and have a university education. So why shouldn't I be able to do it too?

He'd seen people dancing, just never really engaged in it himself, even with Becca. So he figured he just had to emulate those others. The first step, he reckoned, was to figure out the music. There were slow dances and there were fast dances; there were silly dances and there were serious dances. Everything depended on the music. After that, it was probably just a matter of moving assertively and yet responding to his partner's own movements. He hoped.

And he knew he had to not think about it too hard. Which was difficult for Morgan. Letting go had never been his strong point, but he tried to do so now and let the music guide him.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

Miles and Damien looked up as Jane waved at Valya. When the spotted her, a grin appeared on their faces. Wanting to be the cool kids, they didn't wave, but nodded as a gesture that they had seen her. They were such boys, something that Jane and Valya always had an easy time to make fun of. Rosalie smiled and nodded to Valya, acknowledging that she would like a nice wine. It gave Valya the chance to socialize with her friends, who were eagerly waiting for her to come over.

The strange youngman with his even stranger hat had already caught Etain's attention, but now that he was making quite a mystery about his name, she felt even more drawn to the mystery and the obvious confidence that the stranger seemed to be radiating. Everyone was watching them. The Risque had rules, a lot of them and yet here was this..Morgan Scrylock. He had walked in, went straight to her and had asked her to dance. Bold, quite bold indeed. And she liked it. Her eyes went over his face, trying to look at every little bit of it before finally stopping to look into his eyes. "Well, Mr. Scrylock. It is an pleasure to meet you, Sir. My name is Etain Clo...Haut LeDoc." She giggled, hoping that her slip up hadn't been too obvious. She still had to get used to her new surname, now that she was married.

The little chat they had gave Morgan a couple of flickers to figure out the music. Since it was still early, the music was quite slow at the moment, making one of the slower Waltzes the way to go. How they were done however, was a totally different thing. Other couples were already dancing around the dance floor. They appeared to be going in circles around the floor, sometimes twirling in smaller circles as well. He didn't have much time left, whatever he was going to do, he had to do it fast as Etain was expecting him to move first.

OOC: Got permission from Rosalie to Npc her a teeny weeny bit here ;)
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Post by Deianeira Saitheria »

She'd been dressed up, dolled up and made to look presentable. She quietly thanked her mother that she'd been taught how to speak and act. She thought about the types of people she would meet. As she entered the club she looked around trying to make sense of the world, of the people who inhabited this glittering place of nobles.

She paused as she waited at the door. Nerves played a part of her lagging behind as she spoke to the Host. The dark skinned Achadhiel waited as the host checked the list seeming to appraise her simple outfit. Her companion, and escort, and for the moment provider of her entry into club Risque had been Miles de Simon. As the Host let her through she tried to remain calm. A room full of nobles her own age. How exciting!

"Be noble... be noble, be noble." she repeated herself as she walked the crowded floor. She realized that perhaps this made her more conspicuious and Deianeira slowed her approach, too look like she was attempting to be something else was rather silly. She looke around realizing she'd wandered away from Miles She'd seperated herself from the only person who might be able to give her a proper introduction into this world. She began mingling with the crowd. Thankfully the dress she'd been able to aqquire was simple, enough to stand out among the others of the party.

She growled, not exactly pushing past other in her quest for her companion, Miles, but certainly and politely excusing herself as she wedged between too people, of more. "Miles?" she calls at a reasonable tone. "Oh now where did he..." she wandered through the groups of people over hearing conversations. "Dance...." she said pausing just long enough to over hear it. She turns towards those who talking of such things, and for a moment she was distracted. She moves off after a moment realizing she should try and find Miles. "Miles?" she calls again.
Last edited by Deianeira Saitheria on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val made her way quickly, but not too quickly, over to the small group. “Well, hello, Jane-honey…How are you tonight? Have you done anything terribly scandalous yet? You know I won’t be outdone so early!” Val gave the girl a kiss on the cheek, one less of fashion and more of affection. She turns to regard the two men coolly, her dark brown eyes narrowing slightly. “I don’t know why I should even bother greeting either one of you. What kind of gentlemen don’t rise to escort their friends into a party? I’m glad my mistress didn’t notice, I might have had to die from embarrassment if she did.” Her small mouth twitched and curved up at the corner. She did so enjoy the playful subterfuges she was learning to employ. And her flirtations still had such an innocent quality to them; she seemed to lack the cold self-centered pride of a practiced man eater. She dropped her gaze down to her fingertips, so that only her long sooty lashes could be seen, “Well, I suppose a waltz might lift my spirits…after I put my mistress’ order in, of course.” She flicked her gaze back up for a moment, giving each man a glimpse of the mischievous laughter she held back.

Val walked over to the bar, her form swaying between the unconscious vitality from within competing with the grace she kept trying to impose on her movements. Valya thought about Miles and Damien…wondered if either one of them might be the secret admirer who kept sending small packages her way. Would one appear tonight? She could hardly see a pattern to when the arrived or how they got into her possession. Strange, strange…Well, if it was one of those gentlemen she could hardly protest. What a good match either one would make! But the thought left her oddly cold. That is, if a match could be made at all when she revealed the less public details of her lineage. Now, those things wouldn’t make a lick of difference to some men. She was her mother’s recognized heir, after all. The only problem was you couldn’t tell the type of man you had until you actually told him the truth…She stifled a sigh and tried to put on a friendly smile for the bartender. As she waited she heard what she thought was someone calling out for her friend. Val looked around but in the crush of people could not locate the source.
Morg

Post by Morg »

As drunk on sensory input as he already was, Morgan couldn't help but notice Etain's slip with her surname. Hmm... either she's ineptly trying to conceal the truth, or she's married. Either way could provide me with a little fun. The thought didn't detain him long, as he was swiftly trying to figure out how the dance worked. The other couples gave him some indication, but that probably wouldn't be enough if he wanted to stay ahead of the game.

He kept the position, facing towards her with his arm around her waist, as that seemed to be the thing to do... and began to guide her into a gentle turn, in the same direction as the other couples and in time with the music. As he grew more confident that Etain wasn't resisting what he was doing, his movements became firmer and more certain and he swung her around with more energy. The problem was, he wasn't sure what he should be doing with his feet, since he couldn't look at the feet of others and concentrate on his own at the same time. So he just stepped as neatly as he could, figuring that he'd get there in the end as long as he didn't tread on Etain's toes or trip over his own.

The lanky, hat-wearing magus had fallen silent as he concentrated fiercely on the music, on his partner, and on what others were doing. Mostly he just tried to mimic the movements of other couples... without appearing to hesitate, though, because he who hesitates is lost.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

When Valya walked in on the group, Jane greeted her with great enthusiasm, returning the kiss with similar intentions. "Valya! I've been keeping myself under control, dear, but...the night is still young." She gave the girl a wink. The two boys looked at each other and then back to Valya. "We uh.." Miles started, "We knew that a woman of your class wouldn't be needing an escort to get into any party." Damien added with a sly grin, suddenly seeming quite versed. He waited just a flicker before adding. "You really look stunning tonight, Valya."

While Valya was chatting up with her friends, a lot of people were looking at Deianeira as she entered the room. Charlesmagne gave her another look, wondering who this girl was that Miles had put on the guest list. For a flicker it was all quite overwhelming for the new girl, all these people, it felt like they were all watching her and like they instantly saw that she didn't belong. All these people belonged her, they were all nobility, the Elite.

And then, after Deianeira had called out his name again, she felt a hand gently grabbing her by the wrist. "Ahhh, there you are!" As she turned around she could see it was Miles de Simon. He had the usual sly grin on his face as he looked at her with sparkles in his eyes. "Come on, we're over there at the bar." He nudge her towards the group and when they arrived with the others, he introduced her. "This is my sister, Jane, and this is a good friend of mine, Damien Redault. Everyone, this is Deianeira." Jane gave her a kind smile and a little wave. "Hi there! nice to meet you!" Damien nodded and grinned. "Hey there." He usually wasn't the talkative type.

At the bar, the bartender gave Valya her drink and she was ready to return to the group where Miles would introduce her to the new member of their group. "Valya, meet Deianeira, a good friend of mine."

Meanwhile on the dance floor Morgan was making his first turns. He had the correct position and he was turning, Etain following his lead perfectly. However she did notice that he wasn't making the regular, standard steps and the turns were slightly different than she was used to. As hard as she tried, there was no way she could resist a giggle. or two. She looked him in the eyes as she noticed that either he was a really bad dancer, or probably hadn't danced a lot at all. "Try bending through your knee a little more when you start the turn, then make the actual turn on the ball of your foot." She whispered in his ear so that no one else would be able to hear what she was talking about. Etain kept her head next to his as was appropriate. She was smiling though and a series of small shocks went through her body as she tried to keep in the laughter. She wasn't making fun of him though, she really was enjoying herself. Something that she hadn't been doing a lot in the last months.
Morg

Post by Morg »

As gentle and genuine as Etain's laughter was, it still chafed a little with Morgan, who was painfully aware of his own inexperience in this arena. Play to your strengths, he'd often heard it said. Dancing was very much not one of the magus's strengths. Warding, yes. Getting rid of angry enlarged Netheric small animals, yes. But not dancing.

"Why thank you, milady," Morgan murmured back into Etain's ear. "I must admit, I haven't had a lot of practice," he added, trying to take her advice into account. On the next turn he dipped lower on his knobbly knees, trying to make it more of a swivel and less of a clumsy shuffle. "I generally prefer my time standing around looking mysterious."

It was true that he wasn't exactly enjoying the dance. The thrill of the potential conquest, maybe, but not the dancing itself. He was quite keen for the dance to be over, so that he could begin to gather the information he'd come for. But the dance was a means to an end... and it certainly beats roasting ratmen in a sewer. It wasn't too hard to keep a smile on his face, despite his intense concentration on not putting a foot wrong.
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Meridiuz wrote:While Valya was chatting up with her friends, a lot of people were looking at Deianeira as she entered the room. Charlesmagne gave her another look, wondering who this girl was that Miles had put on the guest list. For a flicker it was all quite overwhelming for the new girl, all these people, it felt like they were all watching her and like they instantly saw that she didn't belong. All these people belonged her, they were all nobility, the Elite.

And then, after Deianeira had called out his name again, she felt a hand gently grabbing her by the wrist. "Ahhh, there you are!" As she turned around she could see it was Miles de Simon. He had the usual sly grin on his face as he looked at her with sparkles in his eyes. "Come on, we're over there at the bar." He nudge her towards the group and when they arrived with the others, he introduced her. "This is my sister, Jane, and this is a good friend of mine, Damien Redault. Everyone, this is Deianeira." Jane gave her a kind smile and a little wave. "Hi there! nice to meet you!" Damien nodded and grinned. "Hey there." He usually wasn't the talkative type.

At the bar, the bartender gave Valya her drink and she was ready to return to the group where Miles would introduce her to the new member of their group. "Valya, meet Deianeira, a good friend of mine."

Being tugged towards the group by a hand, Deianeira nearly resists until she catches a glimpse of Miles. "Ahh... thank you, Sir Simon." she says in the warmest most 'proper' tone she could accomplish. She wants to pretend to be a lady of society-even if it was for one night.

"It's pleasure to meet you all!" she says in an excited tone. Offering curtsies to each person in turn as was introduced to him. "It's a pleasure, she smiled widely as she took a moment to survery each person. Valya caught her interest, as another achadhiel she inhaled. "Hi." she said in a very positive and sweet voice. "You are, Valya, correct?" she took a moment to test her pronunciation of the woman's name.
Valya Nix
Civus

Post by Valya Nix »

Val took her wine and requested a steward to bring Rosalie a glass as well. She specified a classy vintage, one imported through Rosalie’s own business interests. Val was learning some things, after all. She watched the bartender pour it, her crooked finger resting gently on her lower lip, a faint look of worry on her face. She no longer gnawed on her knuckle in public but she was obviously very concerned that anything having to do with her Mistress was up to snuff. Only after she had checked that the temperature of the glass was correct did she let the steward carry it off to Rosalie. Then, Val returned to the little group expecting to be escorted to the dance floor momentarily by either one of her friends or another gentleman from the crowd.

Val was in turn introduced to Deianeira, returning her curtsy with a very elegant one of her own. Some of her mother’s on again, off again training had apparently made a dent on the irascible child. Then Val put out her hand to shake, a gesture that might seem less than urbane but seemed natural, and possibly even charming, when offered with Val’s bizarre mix of self-possession and obliviousness.

“Why, yes, and nice to make your acquaintance, Deianeira.” For the moment Val’s attention was focused exclusively on her. Val gazed down at Deianeira, with a funny half smile on her face. She felt conscious of the good seven inches she had on the girl…but, damn, she did seem to tower over most people of her mother’s race. Slowly Val began to recognize that Dei was a half-breed, as she was. Really, she had never seen or spoken to another achadhiel. Her mother had associated exclusively with Adhiels and everyone else she had been close to was human. She suddenly began to feel sort of…happy. She opened her mouth to ask which of her parents had been human and where she had grown up, and, oh, so very many things…but she couldn’t very well ask that just as they met. Instead she asked, “How do you like the place?”
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

Lucienda had told her apprentice of this little shindig, and when he replied that he had nothing to wear, she produced something.

The man thought it was awful gracious of her to provide attire for him until he had witnessed what she acquired. The coat, worsted wool drapes, was beautiful and comfortable. Three-button silhouette made the jacket close and was fully lined in silk. One chest welt pocket, two lower flap pockets and two inside pockets. The pleated pants had an inside button, front pockets and single belt loops. The shell was wool with silk trim and lining. A black belt and silver cuff links completed his ensemble.

Gotham had dressed, and simply brushed his hair. The blonde appendage float about him as he walked to the main entrance of the building and hopefully was able to greet the guards with little confrontation. If he succeeded in his first attempt he was without a doubt stopped by the charlemagne.
"Protect life... until death."
--Leeloo, The Fifth Element.

Avatar by Ashari with stock photo of [url=http://www.myspace.com/jamesson]Jamesson[/url].
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Valya Nix wrote:Val took her wine and requested a steward to bring Rosalie a glass as well. She specified a classy vintage, one imported through Rosalie’s own business interests. Val was learning some things, after all. She watched the bartender pour it, her crooked finger resting gently on her lower lip, a faint look of worry on her face. She no longer gnawed on her knuckle in public but she was obviously very concerned that anything having to do with her Mistress was up to snuff. Only after she had checked that the temperature of the glass was correct did she let the steward carry it off to Rosalie. Then, Val returned to the little group expecting to be escorted to the dance floor momentarily by either one of her friends or another gentleman from the crowd.

Val was in turn introduced to Deianeira, returning her curtsy with a very elegant one of her own. Some of her mother’s on again, off again training had apparently made a dent on the irascible child. Then Val put out her hand to shake, a gesture that might seem less than urbane but seemed natural, and possibly even charming, when offered with Val’s bizarre mix of self-possession and obliviousness.

“Why, yes, and nice to make your acquaintance, Deianeira.” For the moment Val’s attention was focused exclusively on her. Val gazed down at Deianeira, with a funny half smile on her face. She felt conscious of the good seven inches she had on the girl…but, damn, she did seem to tower over most people of her mother’s race. Slowly Val began to recognize that Dei was a half-breed, as she was. Really, she had never seen or spoken to another achadhiel. Her mother had associated exclusively with Adhiels and everyone else she had been close to was human. She suddenly began to feel sort of…happy. She opened her mouth to ask which of her parents had been human and where she had grown up, and, oh, so very many things…but she couldn’t very well ask that just as they met. Instead she asked, “How do you like the place?”

Deianeira blinked. She'd met another of her kind and the only question which escapded her lips was how did she like the place? She felt almost like she wanted to laugh. And infact the young achadhiel did laugh-gently sweetly, in a light laughter. Which she quickly quiets it swiftly. "How do I like this place? I love it." she says pleasantly. "This place is.. all that I thought it might be." she begins. She looked at Valya carefully, trying to pick out features that were mirrored in her skin.

Return to “Patrician & Citadel Ring”