Enterance Thread for Nema

Moderator: Mods

rhoddin

Enterance Thread for Nema

Post by rhoddin »

The soft brush of the salty air finally wakes you up. There is sand between your fingers. You're on a beach! The rushing sound of the gentle waves breaking a few yards from where you lay sprawled on the sand confirms your suspicions. Your mind is empty and you have absolutely no clue how you landed here.

As you look around you see the beach is empty, except for yourself. In the distance some gigantic crabs scurry away. Your eyes kid you not, they are indeed as big as pigs, with vicious claws to match. But they seem more scared of you than you are of them.

In between the gentle dunes, with fair tops of waving seagrass, that mark the end of the beach you notice a small path. At the beginning of the path you see several items on the ground, shining metal sparkling in the sunlight. A small awkwardly written notice, which strangely enough even the illiterate can read says

"Please leave all weapons here. Beyond this point the gods will provide."
Last edited by rhoddin on Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nema

Post by Nema »

She was still in her own bed. She was still sleeping and she would have to wake up in a few moments to get her early start. It took a while for the surroundings to sink in for Nema, and even with the scent of that salty air, the edge-of-waking girl still refused to acknowledge her location.

"No..." she mumbled, as one eye opened up towards the bright sunlight and just as quickly, closed shut again. Rolling her body onto her side to nestle her face into the pillow on her "bed", Nema suddenly shot straight up into a sitting position, coughing out the bit of sand that made it into her mouth. She raised her hands up to her face to rub her eyes and brush away the last hint of sand, quickly scrambling up on her feet. Her eyes swept over her surroundings as she stood there, simply staring, until finally a sharp incredulous laugh came from her.

Only when she stole a doubletake of the large crabs did she begin to move from her place. Nema backed up a few steps slowly at first, almost tripping back on her feet, and then turned away from them to find the small path. She was going to ignore what she just saw. She was going to pretend -- no, not pretend, but know -- that those crabs were never there in the first place.

Focusing her attentions on the notice, she tilted her head to the side, eyes settling on one particular phrase. "The gods will provide," she murmured to herself. She gave an apprehensive look over her shoulders, another quick intake of the setting, and frowned. This couldn't be... Oh, I won't even think it.

But, as if it were simply obvious or natural that she follow this path, Nema did so, picking up her satchel and assuring herself that she would be taken where she needed. Maybe she'd even really wake up first.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The path Nema walked was not arduous, as she walked she passed by large fields. In the distance there were more of the well tended fields, replete with crops gently swaying in the mild breeze that swept the Isle. Although she could see no people working the fields, she felt herself drawn along the path, and could not veer away to investigate these empty fields, or the crops they contained.

Soon she found herself approaching a collection of white buildings. The path ended on a dusty square, in front of what was clearly the centrepiece of the settlement, if one could call it that. The entrance, marked by two huge marble pillars, had no doors, only a deep darkness, most inviting for one who chose to follow the goddess of death, that pulled at her very soul to enter, in fact Nema found the pull of the entrance almost unbearable.
Nema

Post by Nema »

Nema tightened her hold on the strap of her satchel as she passed by the fields, not because she was in any danger of losing it, but out of need to hold onto something for the sake of it. It gave her an eerie feeling, seeing no one else out there.

More than once, she looked over her shoulder, wondering whether it would be wiser to go back down the path to the beach, though she never got the chance to try it. By the time she had decided not to do so a couple of times, she had already reached the white buildings. Her eyes immediately went to the main building before her as her pace picked up a fraction, taking her up to the entrance. There, she stopped and let out a long breath that she had unconsciously been holding.

Instead of waiting any longer for her eyes to adjust to the darkness, Nema took herself deeper into the building with a few brisk steps.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Nema stepped into the hall her eyes were drawn to the middle of the temple, where light fell in through the roof. There was a pool right under it, sparkling in the sunlight.

As her eyes adjusted to the darkness she saw four small channels run away from the pool, where overflown water would be easily drained. At the far end of the pool a large decorative construction hang over the pool, almost like an aquaduct. The darker coloring than the rest of the stone suggested water flowed regularly from its top, about ten metres high.

But not now. Everything was quiet, hushed, waiting....
Nema

Post by Nema »

Other details were simply overlooked once Nema's eyes fell upon the pool. What was this building... and what was that? Unable to completely make out the details, she drew herself closer, pulled by the feeling of expectance. Maybe she expected to find something. Or maybe someone expected her.

Mema didn't even notice that, as she reached the pool's edge, she began to hold onto that last breath, examining the construction and pool once more.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As she appraoched the pool, and Nema's eyes adjusted to the light further, she noted the blue mosaic that was down in the pool, swirling in geographic forms beneath the small wavelets her brushing of the surface caused.

The water was probably about half a human's height, making it comfortable for bathing. Yet the atmosphere was so solemn, it hardly seemed an appropriate thought.

Suddenly she heard a gurgling sound, and within seconds water streamed down from the decorative structure with such force as to create a strong waterfall. The rush of sound filled her ears and it was as if just beyond her capability of hearing a thousand voices filled her head.
Nema

Post by Nema »

Nema leaned her body forward a fraction of an angle, her eyes drawn to the mosaic. She might have even thought about bathing, as her hand gave the surface of the pool a light brush. Should she even have been touching the water at all though? What if she wasn't supposed to? Inching back a bit, her attention continued to be transfixed on the mosaic.

The gurgling sound must have been enhanced ten-fold, as her thoughts were completely taken by her mental debate on whether her presence was even right. And when the rest of the water followed, Nema jumped--literally--back a couple of steps.

Her eyes darted nervously around her surroundings. Now she knew she shouldn't have come in here. Someone probably knew she was here. She didn't want to be caught doing something she wasn't supposed to be.

But what were those voices? "H-hello?" Nema said, just a step above a whisper.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Nema spoke, the waters of the pool calmed. Looking around the room Nema would notice a woman in a simple white robe standing to the right. Had she been there before? The woman was old and slightly bend, wrinkles cracking up her coarse face. Certainly she was no beauty. Yet she waited serenely, peace radiating from her face and her hands folded in front of her.

When she saw that the young woman had noticed her she smiled and offered a greeting she offered to many before, "Blessed are the new. The gods talk to you, daughter. Are you ready to learn how to listen?"
Nema

Post by Nema »

She looked as if on the edge of taking that step closer to the old woman--to ask for some kind of clarity to all of the questions that were running through her head and to explain that she really hadn't meant to intrude--but Nema relaxed, instead remaining in her position. She wasn't even sure who this woman was... but she could sense something purely pleasant about her, so she matched the smile that was given to her, if only a bit weaker. To hear what her elder had to say only wiped it off her face as she inclined her head and turned an ear towards her.

Maybe she would have something else to add--and then she would explain. The gods? What had she meant by that? Could they really be on... on the Oracle's Isle? Nema could only stare at the old woman, dumbfounded as she somehow managed to nod and swallow to utter, in a hushed tone, the simple word, "Yes."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The woman surveyed the face of the young woman before her, and then bowied her head in welcome. When she raised it again clear grey eyes stared out at Nema, eyes that seemed to strike to the very core of her soul. Not that you would call them predatory or dangerous, just knowing with the knowledge of ages behind them.

"I can see you are ready to listern to daughter. Cast off your mortal garments and enter the pool of the Oracle. Call to your god and let them speak too you, listern to what they have to say, and be prepared to listern." For such an old frail looking woman, her voice had a resonance that filled the chamber.

OOC: This is your invitation, I know you may have already decided your choice of diety, and this is the opportunity to announce it to the Isle.
Nema

Post by Nema »

Nema shifted her weight from one leg to the other as she watched the old woman gazing back at her with those eyes. Things became even more uncomfortable for her as she continued listening, her attention focused on the directions given to her. Cast off your mortal garments... Shifting once more, she gave a slow nod and turned back towards the pool, her eyes roaming the aqueduct and waters while she began to undress.

First went her bodice, which, as she was beginning to untie, Nema's cheeks reddened at the sudden realization that someone was here with her while she was doing this. But she closed her eyes momentarily to remember that this woman was one of the Oracle's Isle and that she had no reason to feel embarrassed in front of her. So as she set her shoes aside near the edge of the pool with her neatly folded bodice, skirt and chemise, she stood there for a moment to remember exactly how to breathe again while her toes dangled over where the floor ended and where the water flowed.

After a moment's hesitation, she closed her eyes and sunk into the pool. She instinctively shivered as her hands rubbed at her arms before she finally adapted to the feeling of cool water washing around her skin. Her hands came together in front of her chest as she closed her eyes and murmured, "Eternal Goddess of Death... I am here to ask for Your guidance. I am ready to listen to what wisdom You would allow me to partake in now."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Nema prayed in the water of the Oracles Pool, she found that she could no longer notice the water, although she still felt cool, but .... dressed, how could this be? Although her cloths seemed different, she was dressed in a soft white shift which was enough to cover her but little else.

She seemed to be in another place, a dark path leading through a dark wood. Little could she see but the path ahead, which seemed to be angling towards a mound, not to far away. All she could make out was a darker shape, softly etched against a dark sky.
Nema

Post by Nema »

Nema had to blink her eyes a few times before she was sure of where she was. And the shift? How did she get into a shift? Goddess only knows... she thought to herself as she stared down at the garment. Although covered, she felt faintly more vulnerable than she should have as she held her arms across her stomach and gazed over the path before her once more.

The dark shape on the mound caught her eye as she squinted at it to try to make it out even further. Nema took a few steps forward, hoping that it would help, though before she knew it, she had gone farther than that and now she was taking the trek up towards the mound. Her pace slowed down somewhat as the dark wood grew closer, though she continued into it anyway.

Silently, she walked, unsure of whether she wanted to really draw much attention to herself in the wood.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Although the forrest was dark, and would in other circumsatnces be quite disconcerting, it didn't close in on Nema, and quiet was more of a waiting silence, rather than a watching one.

As she followed the path, the mound before came into clearer view, and started to take on the structure of a barrow, or burial mound. Why this was in such a place seemed odd, but here it was anyway.

A bend in the path blocked any clearer view of the looming barrow.
Nema

Post by Nema »

Eventually, Nema became more comfortable as she walked along the path and her eyes wandered through the wood. As her attention came back to what was before her, she tilted her head and narrowed her eyes. The mound was closer and clearer now, and she noted its appearance, as if it were a barrow. Her eyebrows furrowed as she continued on the path, and though the bend stopped her from examining the barrow any further, she still continued to flick her eyes in its direction hoping she could catch some sort of view.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

The darkness of the forest seemed to deepen as she came even nearer the mysterious Barrow, but a darkness that soothed, welcomed, protected its own..... Voices spoke amidst the shadows of the trees....many as one. All in homage to The Goddess whom Nema had swore her fedility and life to.

Eyes were watching, with the feeling they could pierce the soul..... those eyes, they knew her desires, her Mortal wants. But she came closer to a Goddess now.... such desires would have to left behind as she pursued her new calling.

OOC: Sorry, I don't want to push much furher, first post and all....
Nema

Post by Nema »

A shiver ran through Nema as she moved on... not of fear or uneasiness, but of the anticipation that shook through her. The strange, welcoming darkness and the voices---she could sense it all, and it simply strengthened her resolve as her feet carried her forward.

She could remember those moments before she appeared on the Isle and when she never even trusted in that hope that she might find herself here. It was still something so surreal even as she walked on this path towards the barrow, and it felt like she was completely somewhere else when she was really right there anyway.

Nema looked toward the trees that flanked her path, the feeling of being watched drawing her eyes over. And she shivered again as she moved forward, self-consciously.

OOC: Yep. :) Is all right!
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Nema walked ever forward, drawn to the power that the Barrow emitted. The voices grew more vibrant, soft, gentle motes of purple and silver appeared to dance through the air, carried by the incessant chanting and whispering of the shadows....... upon the peak of the Barrow..... three silent figure waited.

Another voice filled her mind, this one was not of the shadow...... this was the shadow....

Welcome, Nema..... we have expected you Child.....

The voice was Death itself. Cold, devoid of passion, calculated... and yet full of power and majesty.

You want to know us, do you?

This one was of a higher pitch, young and vibrant, that of a Girl, yet still possessing that same eternal coldness.

Such does not come free my Child, we ask much, and expect much, but are not of mind not to give reward when reward is due.

This one was Old, a mere whisper, like a distant memory, but one that ecohed Death's own Lament.

The Child, The Maiden, The Crone. Aspects. The Three that are One.... one Eternal Goddess of Death. They all then spoke.

Are you prepared Nema? Prepared to continue The Path of Death? To give yourself to us, Heart and Soul.... to serve and be devote? Your answer will determine Fate my Child.

Each set of eyes watched, and yet they all saw as one. Youth, Prime and Aged. Death knows no limits. It claims every age, it does not respect the ravages and pain that it inflicts on those Mortals and Immortals alike.... but it knows the Pain.... oh it knows all too well.

Pain....suffering..... eternal.... sleep..... rest..... Will you know them, Nema? Do you think you can handle being a Daughter to Mother Death?
Nema

Post by Nema »

A lonely hand rose and extended, almost trying to feel those wisps of purple and silver. As if the voices pulled her, Nema moved like it was the only natural thing to do, her eyes widening at the sharper and clearer image of the three figures.

She stopped abrubtly at the sound of the shadow's voice, taking in a sharp breath and holding it as if the rhythm of inhaling and exhaling could interrupt her attentions. Clasping her hands in front of her chest tightly, she listened with her eyes wide and attentive and perhaps even a bit fearful, now that she was here. Would she be rejected? Would they think of her intentions as not genuine enough? But she could not be anxious and afraid now, so Nema allowed herself to breathe then, and she remembered why she here--to serve in the name of the Eternal Goddess--and that was enough to calm and reassure her.

Kneeling respectfully, Nema bowed her head slightly and began to speak, shakily at first though gaining some confidence as she went on. "Hail, Eternal Goddess of Death. I... I do wish to know You, and I am prepared. I... have been prepared, and if You would deem me suitable, I would devote my entire being to your service."

She paused for a moment as a breath shook its way out of her, and then she continued, "I have seen such things in my life... the pain and the suffering, the sleep. I've seen them in the faces of those who have been under my care as my time as a healer. I have worked closely to the realm of Death for so long, and I wish to take that next step further--to finally give myself to you and to learn more, so that I could better serve you... I can handle anything, in your name."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

No expression passed their faces, devoid of life as they were. Dark tendrils of mist began to rise at their feet..... etched with silver, running through the darkness as glittering viens of blood.

Then know us, know us as only our Chosen Children can....., all three voiced.

The mist whipped into a frenzy, stirring as striking Vipers, leaping forward to embrace the un-prepared Nema. Darkness closed in on her, death filled her mind..... and for that instantaneous moment, she knew what Death was...... the darkness receeded.

Mortals cannot encompass the full meaning of Death...... of Us. But our chosen are one step closer to that knowledge, and it is that which they strive to know.

The Maiden strode forward, seeming to move without step, the area warped..... did Nema crawl forward...... she knew not.

We know you know, my Daughter of Death. Rise Child, as I accept you.

The other two aspects vanished, this was Death...... Nema's Eternal Goddess of Death. Clothed in black, as always, she bent forward, resting her lips on Nema's forehead. A chill swept the mortal's body, the same chill that ran through her Goddess.

Strive to know me Child. That is all I ask. Know Death, reap its rewards. My reward.

With that, the mists departed, and The Eternal Goddess dissolved with them. Nema found herself, back in the waters of the shallow pool. " Find what you sought deary? ", an old woman stood nearby, handling a clean towel and shift.
Nema

Post by Nema »

he mist had surrounded her before Nema could really register the meaning of what the triad had said. They're not turning me away... her mind finally concluded, a sharp gasp escaping her lips at the same time. She could feel the shock of darkness closing in around her all of a sudden.

Oh Goddess went the chanting in her head as she raised her hands out in front of herself, hesitantly. Death... this is Death...

Still kneeling, Nema stayed frozen with her outstretched arms and as everything suddenly seemed to shift, she fell back onto the seat of her heels, disoriented. She could just taste the words of thanks and admiration on the tip of her tongue as she listened to them speak, and they were going to accept her. A soft, amazed sound somehow found its way out of her mouth, something that had slipped through even as she found herself speechless.

She rose, on command, holding her breath at the contact with and the close proximity to her Goddess. The chill that ran through her was almost reassuring, something that told her that this was truly happening if she had still doubted it and that this was really the Eternal Goddess of Death.

"I will swear to it," Nema finally managed to utter in response, just as this image began to disappear and as she was welcomed with the sight of the pool again. The sudden change in setting caused her some shock, her arms flailing lightly in the waters for a moment before recognition hit her and she realized she was all right. To the old woman, she looked up and exhaled before replying, "She spoke to me... and She... actually spoke to me. She has accepted me... and.."

She had never really found herself so able to be speechless, and so, simply pursing her lips tightly, she furrowed her brows as she clambered her way back out.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" She did? Well, all the better for you then dearest? ", the old woman smiled warmly. " My heart gladens for you Nema... you have taken the next step for a fulfilling life....... and death it would seem, I doubt you will regret...... for your sake, I hope you do not. ", this time her smile was reassuring, not as warm, knowing. " But come, you must be famished, these.... interviews.... can take alot from your body, and soul. Come, come, eat....... ", she gestured off to the side, walking as she did, but leaving the towel within reach.

" A chamber has been prepared for you, and fresh robes. Perhaps you would like to wash and dress first, before eating? "
Nema

Post by Nema »

Nema returned a small hint of a smile to the old woman as she replied, "Thank you. I'm glad as well." The corner of her lips turned up a little more as she nodded and added, "I wouldn't even think of regretting a single thing of... of this. It feels right."

A slight shiver ran down her back as she suddenly registered her state of undress. She gave another nod, silent as she took the towel and shift. Drying herself quickly and redressing carefully, Nema then followed after the old woman, trying to catch up with hurried steps. "Oh, I think that would be very nice. The chamber, I mean. I'd like to change into something a little... more... than a mere shift." She pursed her lips as she gazed down at her herself, showing, perhaps, a light blush on her cheeks.

OOC: Sorry about a superly late reply! I've been so busy recently. Argh.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

OOC: Not a problem Nema :)

IC: " Yes, I had thought as much. ", the woman laughed, a husky, throaty sound tumbling forth from her mouth. " Come then, wash and change...... then eat. "

Nema stepped forward, entering the doorway in which the woman had gestured to, following her as she led the way. A steaming bath was prepared, including a fresh, plain, robe of deepest midnight. She bathed, enjoying the heat and chance to wash immensly.

Afterwards, Nema ate, an insatiable hunger taking her gut. The time with her Eternal Goddess had demanded alot from her mental and physical reserves.

OOC: I was thinking that you may wish to have skipped a great deal of the faffing about with washing etc? I hope so, it means that we can get you some training ASAP....... how's that sound?

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”