Enterance Thread for Barrett

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

There not being any way to get around his state of undress, the lad moved a bit hesitantly but otherwise remained calm. He had a slight suspicion that the woman was herself a deity of some sort- or at least related to them. This half-formed thought did a lot to reduce his self-consciousness.

That's not to say that once he dried off, he wasn't slightly rushed to put his clothes back on. He was in fact relieved to hear that there wasn't some strange regulation banning clothing on the isle. Of course, the idea that there might have been such a thing caused him to chuckle aloud at how little he knew of this place.

If only I'd known someone who'd been here to ask them about such things before starting out.

That thought led him roundabout to his conversation with the Thinker. There had been enough references to Uncle Jacob that Barrett began to wonder if his relative had not perhaps made the same journey at some point and merely "forgotten" to mention it. The lad smiled.
My, but the world seems full of new riddles today!

"Ready, ma'am."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Very well. Follow me then, please, for I've been given the humble task to show you around the Isle." Turning, she moved towards a partially concealed door, leading to the rear of the room they were in, behind, but to the side of the water feature and the pool.

Behind the door was a room with an other door, which was open, giving out on a garden, but more importantly, the room featured a large table, filled to the edges with several kinds of fresh fruits, nuts, some vegetables, and a variety of warm and cold beverages. It was a bit awkward that there was a tea pot standing there, hot steam coming from it's tout, yet no sign of a servant or whatsoever.

"I hope you find something that suits your needs here," she said, and gestured at a chair beside the table." When you're finished, I shall show you where you can find the library, the refractory room and the common dormitory, where I hope we will find a good place for you to stay. She didn't mention the temple of Aurelius. Then, she took position near the wall, next to the door they'd come through. She was close to the wall, yet didn't lean against it, and looked like somebody who could stand for ages.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett wondered at first why he hadn't noticed the door before. However, the clever design was obviously meant to conceal it so as not to distract from the harmony of the room itself. He followed the woman into the next room and seated himself in the chair she indicated.

What he really wanted was a nice pot of his Ma's stew from the tavern. But the bounty before him was considerable and he managed to find some bland fruit and a handful of fresh mild peppers that satisfied him. For drink he selected a tea. He searched for a minute to find one with a slightly bitter scent that he thought might help sharpen his mind rather than relax it.

Before partaking, he murmured a short prayer of thanks to the Mother as was customary in his household. He ate slowly, using the time to go over the day's events. He did not want to forget a single detail of his talk with the Thinker. When he was satisfied that he had a strong record in his memory, he finished up the meal.

Reviewing the woman's words, Barrett realized she had not mentioned a temple. Perhaps there was not a specific building dedicated to Aurelius. Such a thing seemed too straightforward. Besides, if the thinker was indeed keeping an eye on him, then he supposed his prayers and questions could be addressed directly to his Lord.

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you. Are you to be my... instructor here on the isle?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Everything he ate seemed to be of exquisite quality, the fruit more juicy and tasteful than anything Barrett had ever eaten before, and the peppers so fresh that the sound they made when he bit them sounded like culinary music.

"Your instructor? Nay, I only show the new ones around a bit. Anyhow, why do you need an instructor? It is Aurelius that you follow, isn't it? Then you could expect your process here to be independent, self-made. Off course you can make use of our infrastructure, and you can take classes with anybody who is willing to teach you, but apart from that, it's all up to you, I'm afraid." She gave him a quite encouraging smile;
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

An abundance of opportunity. Where to start though... perhaps that will require some meditation.

"Indeed that is quite well put. I suppose my first priorities, after your introduction to the layout of the facilities and obtaining a room, are to find some writing supplies and spend a bit of time meditating on what has occurred and what my plans will be. And any information on whom I might seek out in regards to improving my knowledge of languages, history and theology would be most would be most welcome."

I'm sure the library with its books will be a good place to start, but interaction with other people would be a much more satisfying way to expand my knowledge. Indeed, for languages and cultural studies- as well as the art of discerning truth from fiction- will rely much more heavily on interpersonal contact.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Very well, if you have finished, I shall show you to the refractory, the dormitory, and I'm sure we'll find somebody willing to provide you with the necessary writing supplies.

As for which teachers to turn to, I'd say suit yourself. Both Illuminatus and Grandfather Kennis might have followers that can help you on the subjects you mention, but then again most of the priests, acolytes and paladins on this Isle are very learned and erudite.

The question is rather who will be willing to spend much time on you, as you do not belong to their order. But that's the path you've chosen, and I'm sure you'll get where you want to get. If you have finished eating, we can be on our way."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett finished up the last few bits of his meal and looked for a tray to rinse out and store the cup he had used. He preferred to leave the area as tidy as it had been before his repast.
"Thank you for the meal, and for your patience as well. I am ready to continue."

It would be best to do some reading today on the other sects, so that I might better engage the other students and teachers in conversation.
He had already decided that he should seek out whatever lessons he could with whichever priests would have him. Best to get a mixture of all the perspectives rather than stick with just one. Of course, he would first seek out the followers of Grandfather Kennis as part of his plan to learn to teach. He suspected that they would be the most friendly or agreeable. The devotees of Illuminatus would be learned, but would also likely bear the single-mindedness characteristic of the paladins from the old stories. Still, Barrett planned on turning down no opportunity to explore learning with each of the various denominations.

Of course, at the moment, he would have to concentrate on keeping up with his guide and committing everything she showed him to memory. As they moved on, another question surfaced in the young man's mind.

"So, if there is no specific area or building or priesthood presence for Aurelius, does that mean I may go where I will on the isle in search of that which I seek? Or are there places and people that I must avoid?"

He also wondered if there were perhaps tutors to be sought out among the non-priestly inhabitants of the isle.
Surely I'll find that out soon enough.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Let us go then, young man, for our time is scarce." There was no basin or cupboard for cleaning up and storing away things, but the lady indicated that he shouldn't be concerned with these things.

The woman led the way, and showed him the most important sites in the town. There were the many temples on the temple Isle, off course, but also mundane dwellings. Then she showed him where the bath house was, some small parks, and finally they arrived at the main dormitory-refractory complex. "Well, there is off course much more luscious green surrounding this little town, but my old knees don't feel like showing you that, so you'll have to explore those yourself, if you want to. Do mind where you put your feet though, as some parts may be a bit swampy here and there."

"Sure, feel free to go were you want. If you are about to thread parts you shouldn't thread, I'm sure one of the many paladins of our Isle will stop you. And if somebody doesn't want your company, they'll let you know. Realise that you're not the first follower of Aurelius they meat, and if you introduce yourself as one, they'll know what to expect." She grinned.

"There you have the library," she said, pointing to an enormous architectural wonder, "and this is where you will be staying then." The heavy door of the building on the opposite side of the street was made out of fine wood, though it wasn't really ornamented or craftily carved. Apparently it wasn't locked, as it gently opened when the lady put her weight against it.

The hall was sober, but welcoming too, and it had a home like feeling. Many doors in the same style as the front door -yet smaller- lined the walls of the room, and two great stone staircases lead up. Various small windows in the wall they'd just come through brought light in the room, though it was not too bright. It was strange how a room could posess such a grandeur and beauty by such simple means. The only thing that was out of place, was the chair of bended wood positioned against the side of the left staircase. In it was a rather skinny man, which his light blue robe couldn't hide. He was neither really young nor old, and his hairdo looked like it meant a big deal to him.

Barrett's guide greeted him. "This is friar Allard, one of the people who keeps this place running. And this, Allard, is the newest follower of The Thinker. Do you think you have some place for him?"
The man put a big file down, and stood up to give the both of them a hand. "Sure. Do know that our rooms aren't very luxurious. May I ask your name?" Then he turned to the lady. "Thank you for taking care of him, I shall show him around from here." She nodded with a friendly smile and left the building.

"Well then." He walked to one of the doors in the right wall, and opened it. Behind it was a staircase leading down. For a moment it seemed as he was going to stash Barrett away in the cellars, but then he clarified: "Down there is the laundry. You have to take care of cleansing your own cloths, but that is not -as some of our fellow reasons seem to think- an excuse to be dirty." He winked, then closed the door again. Then he stepped up the right staircase, which led them two floors high, where it stopped.

"You're lucky, because one of our best cells is free. It is spacious, it has got a desk, it has even got a view." He opened the door, which revealed a remarkably small room. Against the left wall, there was a futon on the floor, on the right there was a sober desk with a lamp and a chair, and in between the bed and the desk there was nearly no room at all. Right in front of them was a small window without glass. If one would step up to it, he would be able to see the wonderful central garden that was surrounded by this building. "Needless to say, you are not to disturb your neighbors, so don't make any noise, especially since you have a window." There was a thick but unesthetic curtain to cover the window, and that was it.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett tried to create a mental chart of the places that the woman pointed out, making special note of likely gathering places to meet new people- the bath house, the parks, and various businesses. He also kept a lookout for any people or details of the town that might hint at the attitudes and tastes of those who lived there. Mostly he paid close attention to his guide- as her time was likely a valuable commodity.

The simple elegance of the dormitory building set him at ease. At home he had always preferred the plain decor of the tavern and farmhouses to the grand expensive adornments of the buildings of the capital.
The one potentially incongruous piece was an oddly crafted chair. It reminded Barrett of something, perhaps some building he had once seen while snooping around the Abbey as a child.

The introduction tore his attention away from the chair. His gaze traveled upward to meet the eyes of its occupant. The lad gave a respectful nod and half-bow to Allard.

"My name is Barrett, Sir. And any room is a luxury when the other option is none."
He tried to catch the lady's eye one last time before she was gone.
"My thanks for your patience and hospitality, Ma'am."

While Allard led him about, Barrett tried to observe everything he could of the man's speech, mannerisms and dress. He was trying to guess with which sect, if any, Allard was affiliated. Barrett asked his questions and listened carefully to answers- both what was said and unsaid. He tried to adjust his own manner and tone so as to find out what cues would get Allard to open up in conversation. The woman had remained something of a mystery to him, but hopefully Allard would not be so inscrutable.
"I was wondering, sir, at the craftsmanship of your chair by the staircase there. My Pa might very much like something of that design for our dining room."

When the subject of laundry was broached, Barrett spoke.
"Ah yes, that is a chore I can manage. I was actually wondering what manner of dress would be appropriate for me here on the isle. My own wardrobe is rather limited and I do not wish to show disrespect as I explore and visit with folk. Your robe of blue is quite nice. Perhaps I should try to find some robes of my own soon."

Barrett's face expanded into a bright smile at the sight of the room. His own mother's decorations tended a bit to laces and floral window decorations, which he found distracting. The desk was a welcome luxury. And the fact that there was a window- one with a pleasant view- drew a sigh of relief from the lad.
"Rest assured, Master Allard, I have no intention of being disruptive. In fact a place of peaceful meditation will be a welcome change from the din of my Ma and Pa's tavern back home."

The bed was perhaps a bit skimpy, but that was of little concern to Barrett. He believed that too much comfort softened his discipline and dulled the sharpness of thought that was his goal. As for the slightly cramped space, well he thought it likely that as long as there was room at the desk it was plenty. Likely he would be spending little time here other than to sleep or study.

"Ah, and my neighbors you say. I was wondering who they might be- I mean: are newcomers from all the sects housed here or are some housed separately?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Friar Allard nodded in response to Barrett's greeting. "Well met, Barrett," he said, and reached out his hand to shake Barrett's. One of the eyebrows above his nearly grey eyes arched as he heard Barrett speak about the luxury of this place. Whether this was because of disbelief, plain surprise, or to indicate that he himself associated other things with luxury, was left unclear. The lady gave him a friendly nod as she left the building.

The man walked over to the chair, and tapped on it. "This is bended wood from the Isle, my boy, soaked in water for years and slowly given it's current form. There are stores where one can get these on the Isle. But they are expensive..." He gave it an appreciating look, smiled, and went on with his tour.

"You surprise me, Barrett. Most followers of Aurelius I know aren't really into robes. They find it hinders them in their running around and that it forms a kind of a barrier between them and other people which they do not like. This robe," and he pinched his own, "is one of the order of Ophelion, so I'm afraid I can't get you one of these." He smiled. Do you have any money? We do ask for a voluntary contribution for the use of our rooms, but this can be replaced by doing some chores as well. Anyhow, if you do have some money, there are some businesses on the Isle where you might purchase clothing of all kind, be it mundane or more religious of design."

Flickers later, as they arrived at the cell, Allard commented: "I'm glad you like it, son, because you'll probably be spending some time here. As for your fellow residents, well, they're from all sects, though some orders tend to house newcomers in their temple complexes more than others. We don't segregate them here, however. But I'm sure you'll meet plenty fellow acolytes in the refractory. If you do not have any other questions for the time being, I'm going to return to my work. We eat at the start of Morning-, and Evenigtide, that's right, two meals, though we don't sound bells or so, you're just assumed to know the right time. If you want, today I'll come and pick you up, but only today." Allard tapped him on the shoulder, and wanted to leave.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett wondered if there was some way for him to afford making a gift of some of the fancy chairs to his parents- realizing that it was not an immediate goal, he filed it away for future reference. Still he was impressed with the craftsmanship and let it show in his expression.

"Oh, sir, I did not mean as a constant dress- I just wanted to know if I might need such a thing for appropriate times and places. I would not want to disrespect traditions or break any established protocol. I prefer my normal clothing- although perhaps something less worn might be in order soon."
He rubbed at a couple of rather threadbare patches on his right sleeve.
"As for money, I have a few coins but I would much prefer to work for my keep. I daresay I might even try to find a job somewhere, time permitting, so that I could send a couple of those chairs home to my folks."

"Thank you, Friar Allard, I appreciate your taking the time to show me around. I do not wish to keep you from your work. Do not worry about fetching me. I shall have to get used to the schedule and do not wish to burden you further."

Once he was alone, Barrett pondered all that had happened since he had awoken on the isle.
How long ago?
He tried to recall exactly what time it had been when he awoke and how much time had passed since.
Morningtide and Eveningtide meals: no more running to the kitchen at all hours. I shall have to adjust myself to the schedule of this place.

He sat at the desk and looked over to the window, to the sun's light coming into the room. Perhaps he hoped that some motes of dust dancing in the light might recall the pattern. The pattern that had started out as flecks of light on the water. The flecks moving, becoming lights of their own. the pattern expanding. He tried to evoke that memory, that place- that feeling of other and the beautiful pattern that he could almost- almost - perceive.
My lord Aurelius, thank you for welcoming me to the isle. It is not quite what I expected. There, of course, is my first lesson: No expectations. If I have no preconceived notions, then they cannot be disappointed and I am less likely to be surprised or to close myself off to other possibilities.
It was true when he thought about it. What had he expected? To be welcomed and introduced to a guide who would steer him along the "path to knowledge" ? Well, something like that. Barrett could not recall any reason for having such expectations. His education thus far had been in the roundabout manner of games and stories and conversations. The learning had occurred before Barrett was aware of the learning process. So why had he expected a more structured process here on the isle? Because he had not thought it out himself but merely assumed that what most people envisioned about the isle was correct.
I shall have to break myself of that habit.

After meditating a bit and reinforcing what he recalled of his conversation with the Thinker (That I had truly not expected.), Barrett decided to take a walk about outside and see how well he could recall the layout of the places that the lady had shown him. Particularly he wanted to find some writing supplies, and visit the library if there was time to do so.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Alrighty then, I'm closing this entrance thread now, Barrett, and I'm going to make you a new one (Look for a title like "Seeking Tutors - Barrett"
I skilled this thread:

New skill:
Conversation

Advances:
Pray +*
Philosophy +*
Maths +*

If you think I overlooked something here, just let me know where you think you've used a skill, and then I'll check it.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”