Galliban's Ceremony of Swords

Moderator: Mods

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

High Priest Ybald entered the temple as Helen left. "Good morning, Sister." He took a seat next to Galliban's bed, after putting his staff against a wall as were it a common umbrella.

The sunlight that came through one of the huge windows in the room skated on the silver threads in the man's robe. "I have gathered a rather complete report about what has happened in the previous days. Though we lost an essential link of the chain that is our order, the outcome is not entirely unsatisfactory, in the end. It appears the order of Lumi has cleansed the Isle.

And by what I've heard, you played a rather important role in that. Moreover, your teachers tell me you are a promising talent. Not to mention that you protected the young Aurelian with your life in the mean while. Last but not least, you've proven to know when to go against orders, a capability that requires so much more than always doing as you're told.

Because of all this, and our dire need of skilled clergy, I have decided to no longer postpone your ceremony of swords. It shall start at midnight tonight. Make sure to invite anybody you want to be with you to the morning service of tomorrow.

After this, you shall be taught the priestly rites. Hopefully, we will still have time to teach you to harness that massive amount of energy of yours, and perhaps some tricks with weapons, pens, books and alike. But I suspect to have a job for you quite soon.

In any case, you are off duty today. Nema has told me you are physically suited to leave her care. So make sure to use this day to recover. You'll need your energy, believe me."

That said, the old priest rose from his chair.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban sat up fully as the High Priest entered the room. She greeted him with a respectful bow of her head. The young achadhiel eyed the man as he took a seat, but made sure not to appear as if staring. She was very curious as to the reason why a man of such high position would want to speak with her personally. Galliban listened in silence as the High Priest spoke. She normally was not the type to rudely interrupt someone, and this went double for the High Priest.

"I am deeply honored by your praise, sir. I also thank you immensely for taking time out of your busy schedule to speak with me. I shall try my best not to disappoint you." Galliban said finally after it was clear that Ybald was finished talking. She was glad to hear that Nema had found her to be in good health. She had been concerned that the amount of energy she had released the previous night could have done some injury to her body. Fortunately, that was not the case. Galliban also had every intention of following Ybald's advice. All she really wanted to do that day was to go somewhere quiet where she could pray, meditate, and reflect on recent events.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

There was an abundant number of spots suited for that goal, even in the direct vicinity of Galliban's chamber. There was of course the garden, and the neigboring garden of the central dormitories. And there was the solar terrace next to master Damrod's classroom.

The temple itself was excellent for certain types of meditation and contemplation. Though it was always slightly dark despite the many lights there.

Last but not least, the Isle, it must be said, was a beautiful place, also outside the buildings of priests and clerks. A little village could perhaps be a welcome variation for Galliban, with the smells of fresh foods and the noises of craftsmen. And of course, the unspoilt nature that was everywhere around it.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

As soon as the High Priest made his leave, Galliban slowly climbed out of bed. She stretched her back and neck by bending backwards and dipping her head from side to side. After stretching, she quickly went about the business of getting dressing. She put on a simple white tunic and a pair of white cloth leggings, as well as a pair of leather sandals. She then started to consider where she would go. The garden was pleasant, but she would likely be uncomfortable there considering what had happened there the previous day. Also, she was not sure that shw would want to go wandering into the the wilderness. Galliban did not think it so wise to distance herself from the village. She actually thought it best to remain within the temple. It was safe, and what better place was there to meditate and pray than in a temple of Lumi?

When Galliban had finished getting ready, she left the chamber and began to search for a place suitable for her needs inside the temple.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Time raced by in the temple. There was the soft chanting of the Acolytes of Music in the early afternoon, supporting meditation in a subtle way. when the sun was at its highest, there was the second daily service, and the evening was lit by nice fires in otherwise nearly invisible fireplaces in the walls. Many a visitor tied to dry up a bit near the fires, wet from the heavy rainfall outside that had come as quite a surprise to many. After all, the sun had generously shown its face at morningtide.

It is important for a temple to feel like home. It's then and only then that you can count on people coming back to it. The order of Illuminatus knew this lesson very well. throughout the day, many a priest came to ask Galliban whether she needed anything. In the meanwhile, she was charging up for the grand finale. Underneath all peace and quite was the nervous buzzing of important things about to happen.

"It is time, Galliban Tyren" said Ybald all of a sudden. "You must prove now that you are worthy the sword of Illuminatus, the Light." Helen stood beside him with a white shield in her hands. "Please follow us."

She was led through corridors in which many men and women in white were waving incense, singing, and sometimes wishing her god luck between their teeth. After several staircases, they arrived at the roof.
It was dark as ink and windy. Though it wasn't raining very hard anymore, one became pretty wet because master wind blew the water everywhere it wouldn't normally fall.

Ybald looked a bit ridiculous, his robes sticking to his body, hence revealing the rather skinny and old state of it. "Before a paladin gets his sword and armor, she must know why she needs them. Above all, she has to learn that the strength of will and that of Illuminatus are the only true weapons of a paladin."

Helen undid her of her training sword and her chainmail. She gave her a plain, wooden shield instead. "I wish you good luck, Galliban."
After the two had spoken, they left Galliban on the roof, alone. She heard the door being locked.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

As she heard the door close and lock behind her, Galliban took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She held the wooden shield in front of her and close to her body, and looked up at the dark, night sky. Raindrops pelted her face and the wind blew her long hair back.

Galliban was not sure what she was supposed to do. Of course, this was not such a surprise to the young half-elf. It seemed that she was often left to her instincts lately, and so she followed her instincts once again. She bowed her to protect her face from the wind and rain and closed her eyes.

"Illuminatus, God of Light, I speak to You as Your humble and faithful servant. I have commited my body and soul to do as Your divine will commands on this mortal plane. I pray to You now to seek Your blessing in my endeavour to serve You, and I pray also that You will guide me to the knowledge that I seek." Galliban prayed aloud, her tone solemn. She considered the High Priest's words, what he had said about the need for swords and armor and the true weapons of a paladin being the strength of will and Illuminatus. What had he meant? She drew herself into a meditative state right where she stood, hoping that it would help her understand. She focused on the questions and hoped that the Light One would answer her prayers.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

As the Light One didn't give any sign of life, the night became even darker. There wasn't that much time for contemplation anyway.

She heard the door slam, all of a sudden. She heard the rattling of chains, nervous footsteps and she saw shadows moving on the unlit roof. Then all of a sudden, a big ball and chain nearly broke her arm as it crashed down on the big shield. The assaulter wore the robes of Lumi, but in another color.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban felt a great shooting pain in her arm just before the force of the blow sent her crashing to the ground. She got up to her feet as quickly as she could and faced her attacker. Her eyes narrowed as she stared angrily at the figure. Many thoughts raced through her mind. She wondered how her attacker had gotten up to the roof, and if it was part of the test. However, the current situation did not seem like to proper time to consider these questions. All the acahdhiel really knew was that she was being attacked, and all she had to defend herself with was a wooden shield. She would have to find some way to defend herself.

Using what she had, Galliban put her right foot forward and held the shield out in front of her. She concentrated as best she could and found her core. She made her best attempt to draw energy from within herself to strengthen her only physical defense, the shield in front of her.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Soon, there was not one, but an entire circle of these assaulters. It was clear that they were not outsiders. Not only did they wear a black version of the robes of Illuminatus, they also didn't really make an effort to wound her. They just went on and on, slamming against the shield, taking turns so that every blow landed with substantial force.

They continued for what seemed to be a mark, leaving her alone afterwards. The skin on her arm was burnt where the straps of the shield were attached. The rain made everything more miserable.

The door slammed yet again. It was a woman with a face she didn't know. "Here, have a drink, she said," handing her a flask with warm soup. "We can end this right now, you now. So many of us never make it to the harsh life of a paladin. You can serve our lord as a Sister of the Light too, you know."

She sighed. "Though the night is still young, this should not be your worry. Now that this is just a vague preview of what daily routine as a paladin would be. You don't have to continue, you see? You know what, I'll leave the door open. So you can always quit if you want."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban's eyes darted to the door when she heard it slam again. She relaxed a little when she saw that it was not another one of the assaulters. She did not move as the woman approached her. When the woman offered her the flask, Galliban accepted it and took a drink. The woman was obviously an ally and it was now clear that the previous event had been part of the test, so the young achadhiel novice did not fear poisoning. She listened to the woman speak as she drank and waited until she was finished to reply.

"I will remain here until my task is done. Illuminatus will keep me." Galliban replied firmly and calmly. Fatigue and a sore arm was not enough to break her. Her faith had carried her up until that point and it carried her still.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The woman waited a while, looking as if she was rather convinced that Galliban would reconsider. When this didn't happen, she left the same way she had come.

Galliban was starting to feel a bit drowsy. A Light started to shimmer in the corner of her eye. Her attention was drawn to it almost automatically. It started growing at an incredible rate, finally resulting in a great bundle of light. It all resembled the vision of the Oracle rather well.

"So Galliban. You pray for me to help you. How is it that you need me? Is the rain to wet for you? Or is some bashing on your arm more than you can take? Why, in fact, do you think you are even worthed to wield my sword and my name?"

The voice was that of Illuminatus, but it sounded a lot more vicious and aggressive than it had before.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban couldn't believe her eyes. The oddity of that night had just take a step up. Her breathing slowed almost to a halt when the figure of light spoke to her.

Is it really Him? Or am I just hallucinating? This must be part of the test.

Galliban tried to reach out and get a sense of the figure. Though she was inexperienced, she at least hoped that she could tell her god from an illusion. She still brought her Elvish reply forth quickly, as she was certain that it was part of her test.

"I do not ask that You make the rain drier or dull the pain in my arm, my Lord, for I would not trouble You for such insignifigant things. I ask that You help guide me to the deeper knowledges which I seek. I will walk the path, my Lord. I only pray that You will light the way." she said, a reverent manner betraying the fact that the half-elf still was not sure what was happening.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Very well. I asked you the easy question: to defend yourself. Now let me ask you the difficult one. Why don't you deserve my Light? Which of the traits that my all-seeing eyes have seen in you at first glance will hinder you in my service, Galliban Tyren?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"I am not the strongest being in the world, nor am I the wisest. I am but a mere mortal. I have only my flesh, my mind, and my soul to give, and have given them willingly. I do not demand gifts in exchange for my service, for my service is thanks for the Light You have bestowed upon this world, my Lord." Galliban replied in turn.

OOC: Sorry about the brief response.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Indeed, that's what you are! A colorless, impure, weak piece of seafood. It is insulting that you even think you are worth serving me!" Illuminatus went on, becoming ruder and ruder. He made fun of her childhood, of little lies she'd told that nobody knew about, about every mistake she had made in her life so far.

His face gradually twisted into that of a repulsing demon, foul breath sprouting from his nostrils, rot an fungus in his long greasy hair as a strange yet royal tiara. Then the mental assaults stopped. The demon flew away.

After the sound of the door and footsteps surrounding her like wolves around their prey, the bashing came back, this time even harder. Or it could have been that it had only seemed harder.

The night sky -by now- had all colors except for the one it should have, and the initiators around her wore the faces of many people she'd known in her life.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban's fists clenched by her side and a single tear formed in one eye and ran down her cheek, followed by a single tear from the other eye. It was a rather strong show of emotion for her. It was in response to being reminded of her past, rather than the berating. When the figure appearing to be Illuminatus changed into a demon, Galliban's eyes were not diverted. She just repeated the same thing to herself.

It is part of the test.

She watched as the demon flew away, then spun around instantly when she heard the door slam again. Seeing the initiators surrounding her once again, Galliban raised her shield. She soon felt the bashing resume. As she endured the assault, she looked up to see that her attackers wore the faces of her past; her father, her mother, the priests and priestesses of the Holy Church, and others. If memories of her past had seeped into her consciousness before, the flood gates had been opened. Visions, sounds, and thoughts of all kinds ran through her mind in no discernable order. One memory in particular came to special attention, the words spoken to Galliban the day she had left for Oracle's Isle by an adhiel priestess who had been particularly close to her.

The path to becoming a priestess of Illuminatus is a difficult path to tread. I imagine that the path of the paladin could be even more difficult. However, I know your devotion and I believe that the Light One has chosen you to go into His holy service. Fear not, Galliban, for He will always be with you as long as your faith is strong. Go now and fulfill your destiny. May Illuminatus bless and keep you on your journey and forevermore.

Galliban's faith had always been strong, but she could not help but wonder if the priestess's words had been true. As the assault continued, emotions welled up inside the young achadhiel. One of them was anger.

Is Illuminatus with me now? Or has He forsaken me to darkness and death?

As this doubt sat in her mind, the memory of her meeting with Illuminatus in the Pool of The Oracle came back to her. She remembered the feeling of Illuminatus's holy Light as it entered her body, as well as the blessing that the Light One had bestowed upon her then. She remembered the great plaza in which Lumi dwelled, a place that transcended time and space. Why would He have met her in that place had she not been truly blessed? Galliban asked herself that question, and she knew the answer. He would not have. Illuminatus was no deceiver and did not delight in the ruining of the lives of mortals. Galliban smiled then, for she had found a faith renewed. She could not believe that Illuminatus had forsaken her. She would not believe it.

"By my life or death, I shall do the will of Illuminatus and cleanse this world of evil. Faith shall be my guide, now and forever!" she said aloud. Galliban held her shield in place and continued to defend herself against the oncoming assault.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Once more, the clubbers went away. Again, the image of Illuminatus appeared in front of her. This time, Galliban felt the pureness and the fatherly warmth despite the extreme brightness of the Light.

Your faith never goes unnoticed. Perhaps at times I am too occupied to respond, but I always listen, daughter. I believe in your righteousness. Why don't you prove now that you believe your faith is a better protection than any shield forged by any of the races that walk Tazlure?

Lumi didn't bother to wait for a reply of his daughter Galliban. He gave her a gentle smile, and his image faded away again, leaving Galliban in the wet rain, the cold intrusive wind and the enveloping darkness. Though she was not alone, for Illuminatus had not gone away.

Several marks had passed already. Galliban didn't notice, for the sky was still a marvel of colors composed out of every shade in the spectrum. Then, the circle returned for a third time.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

When Illuminatus appeared in front of her again, Galliban bowed her head reverently. She once again felt the purity and warmth of the Light, as she had felt it in the Pool of the Oracle and within herself. Even through fatigue, with a sore arm and a soaked body, the Light of Illuminatus was a better thing than all the riches in the world to the young half-elf.

Galliban listened to Lumi as He spoke the truths that she had known her whole life. She watched as the image of the Light One faded away, but still felt the god's presence. She stared up and the sky and marvelled at the colors that it had taken. She saw colors, or rather shades of colors, that she had never seen before. Her eyes remained skyward until the assaulters returned.

Galliban watched as the circle formed around once again. She did not raise her wooden shield as she had before, but instead undid the leather straps that attached it to her arm and let it fall to the floor. Galliban took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and brought her legs together so that she stood at her full height. She did not raised her arms to protect herself, but simply let them dangle by her side. She withdrew into a meditative state. Thoughts no longer took the primary place in Galliban's mind. She let her feelings and instincts take over as she reached within herself, down into the depths of her core. She did not attempt the pull energy from it, instead letting it flow naturally and directing it to her exterior. Galliban did not just concentrate on her own energy, but also and more so on the power of Illuminatus that lay within her through Lumi's blessing. She knew that it was by her faith in Him that she would be totally protected.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

And indeed the power flowed. It ran through her veins, mixed with her own blood, or rather part of it. But it went further, seeping in her muscles, her bones, her organs and her soul. Once the first blow landed, the energy she was radiating was visible for even an untrained and utterly incapable novice.
The object hit her, and though her eyes were closed, she felt it. But it didn't hurt her, nor did it wound her. Like a piece of fine rope can withstand the cut of the sharpest blade, her flesh gave in, but wasn't torn.

Had there been anybody on the roof that hadn't seen the Ceremony before, it would have been awe-inspiring. A circle of people, hitting a passive subject as hard has they could, each in their own turn, and achieving no more than spoiling the blessed young woman's clothes.

Galliban new when she had to open her eyes. Daybreak had come a flicker ago, and the strange visions were gone. Helen cast aside her weapon, and hugged Galliban, breaking decorum only slightly in the process. "You've done superbly!" she whispered, squeezing her hand only once.

From there on, Galliban was led down to the temple, surrounded by a big number of clerics. A young man joined her in the middle of the group. He looked equally worn out.
First, there was the regular service. Only not any of the higher priests, but the young man led the ceremony, his voice croaky, his body on the brink of collapse. He knew the rites well, though. Once it was over, the new priest was given a priest's robe by Ybald. No words were spilt, for the gesture spoke for itself.

Then it was Galliban's turn. Ybald was handed Leyle's two swords by another priestess. "Step forward, Galliban Tyren. You have proven yourself worthy of Carrying a Sword. May it be a ray of light."
He dipped the two swords in the bowl filled with water and ashes. He cleansed the blades with his own robe, and handed them to the new Paladin. "May the wisdom, strength and goodness of Leyle and those before her fare in you. May the Light of Lumi guide you and enlighten your path."

Seemingly out of nowhere, the heavy armor landed on her shoulders. Nimble hands adjusted straps. The state of the equipment was not recognizable. It was hard to imagine that any place could be dark enough to drive away the light when one was clad in this.

There was again a circle around her, but this time they weren't in black, but in the white of shining mail and steel. "Salute!" yelled one of the older looking men, and all the swords pointed to the skies. Then, swords were put back were they belong after all, and the service was over. The early visitors left the room, but priests and paladins stayed for a while, complementing the new full members with kind words and gentle taps on the back.

Ybald stepped up to here too, a kind smile on his face. "Congratulations Galliban. By far not everybody manages to do what you did this night."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban stood perfectly still as she felt the energy flow through her as naturally as her own blood, saturating her flesh and bones. It did not feel heavy, like a wet cloth limp from the weight of the water it carried. The power that penetrated every fiber of the young woman's being felt wholly unimposing and innate. It was Lumi's power. It was her power.

When the first blow connected, Galliban remained still. Though her flesh did give, the impact of the weapon was no more painful than a morning breeze. The holy Light of Illuminatus had fortified her body to the point of invulnerability to the blows that landed one after another. It was at that moment that Galliban truly realized the power of faith. She had believed it in her mind before, but it was at that point that she knew it in her heart. To Galliban, it was as if a thin veil of fog that had obscured her spiritual sight had been lifted. She had not known it to be present before, but she had obtained the wisdom to realize its existence only after it had disappeared, for her new found clarity revealed the truth behind what she had known in her heart; that the Light of Illuminatus was stronger than any shield or armor and more powerful than any weapon wrought by mortal hands.

When Galliban felt the blows finally cease, she opened her eyes. Gone were the figures clad in dark robes and the strange colors that had been displayed in the sky. Dawn had come and the sun lit the rooftop that had previously been shrouded in darkness. It was by the light of the sun that Galliban saw her mentor, whom she was very glad to see. However, she was obviously not quite as glad as Helen was, or perhaps Helen was just a person more given to physical expressions of emotion than Galliban was. She looked a little stunned when Helen embraced her, both because of Helen's break of decorum and her own relative unfamiliarity with hugging. A moment later, the achadhiel's faced displayed an open-mouthed half-smile as she tentatively accepted the hug by putting both of her hands on Helen's back. She humbly thanked Helen for her kind words before she let herself be led down to the temple.

As Galliban arrived in the temple, she slightly taken aback by the large number of clerics present. She looked a mess with her torn clothes, so it was a fortunate thing that Galliban was not vain. Still, she took a moment to brush back her long hair. The presence of the worn-out young man who joined her in the middle of the group comforted her a bit, as she did not favor being the center of attention. She acknowledged him with an tired nod.

Galliban watched as the young man took up his place as leader of the regular service. She took her place in the congregation and participated in the ceremony with her normal quiet reverence, then bore witness to the beginning of the young man's priesthood at the end of the service when ybald gave the young man his new priest's robe. Galliban took a deep breath; she had the feeling that her turn was coming next. Her suspicions were confirmed when Ybald was handed the two long swords by a priestess.

Galliban stepped forward when Ybald bade her to do so. As unkempt as she appeared, torn and damp clothes and all, she still stood tall and proud before the high priest. She looked on as he dipped the swords in water and ash, then cleaned them with the fine fabric of his robe. Galliban then accepted the swords and Ybald's blessing. She had not expected what came next, but she did not seem surprised. She did not move as the brilliantly shimmering armor was strapped to her body, but silently continued to accept the honor she was being given. When the paladins formed in a circle around her and raised their swords in a salute, Galliban displayed as much pride as decorum would allow. It was a moment the young half-elf would never forget.

After the ceremony ended, Galliban remained in the room and thanked each person who congratulated her. She also took a moment to congratulate the new priest before Ybald approached her.

"Your words honor me, sir. Thank you." she replied to his congratulations.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

IC: "I would like you to come to my office tomorrow, so that we can discuss your future, Galliban Tyren. The need for trained paladins is high."

OOC: I'm going to end the thread here and skill it. please note that your weaponry has been added to your char sheet. I will pm you about setting up a new thread.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Skilled as follows:

Etiquette +*
Meditation +**
Pray + **
Resolve +*
Manipularion of Energy: Faith +**
Shield (New Skill)
Magic [Physical Shielding] (New Skill)

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”