Aurelian Tutor - Barrett

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

"My apologies, madame. I did not mean to be rude. My name is Barrett. And of course I did not expect your work to be an instantaneous process. Things of quality take time well spent. That it would take only a day or so tells me that you have great skill. The payment is fair."

The idea that this woman would consider her question cheeky was amusing to her lanky customer.
"Your question is quite welcome. You have my respect as well as my business. My order... more of a calling really, I follow Aurelius. Perhaps you met Master Asran?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Well, I'm not fabulous at remembering names..." She started browsing through her big business tome. It lasted several burns. "It was quite a while ago since I last saw him, but he was a rather regular client... Here I have it! Asran, indeed. Rather old man, but decently brought up in a spirit of proper etiquette, I can tell you that -and I am very sensitive for such things-.

Do you know him well? He still has to pick something up here. It has been waiting for him for over two weeks now. Normally he was very exact in his timing."
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett tried not to look shocked, but concern could be easily read on his face. And his sudden palor cut quite a contrast with his red hair.
She will be waiting longer than a few weeks. Very exact in his timing indeed!

"Madame- I, I am afraid he had to leave the isle rather suddenly on urgent business. I am uncertain when, or even if, he might be returning. I will be happy to compensate you for any work my master commissioned, as it is unlikley he will return for it and I doubt he would want to have cheated you of your fee.”

Unlike Asran to have skipped out on his tailor. Then again, he did have rather limited time - and certainly more pressing matters to attend.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Oh, but he has payed the full price in advance, as he always did. As I said, he was a very descent man. Just wait a while, please."

The woman disappeared in a back chamber, to return with a silk-paper-wrapped package. "He ordered a cloak. A fine cloak. Said he would have to travel soon to foreign, barren shores. Is there any chance you will see him in the near future? I hate to have it lying around here, finished, payed for and well, you see."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“Barren shores indeed.”
Barrett wondered glumly if this meant that Asran had known his fate all along.
Is that the sort of knowledge to be found in this Book of Answers? Does this mean he wasn’t even able to leave the Isle?

“I’m sorry, madame. I don’t mean to seem so withdrawn. It’s just I haven’t had recent news of Master Asran that would be of use. Perhaps I should hang on to the cloak for him. I am destined to follow in his footsteps, although there is no certainty as to when I will meet up with him again.”
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The lady frowned. "We normally certainly don't do this kind of thing. It wouldn't be good for our client's thrust." She sighed. "You seem trustworthy, though. And I don't like the idea of selling the same good twice."

Reluctantly, she pushed the package to the other side of the counter. "Your order will be finished the same time tomorrow. I count on your discretion."

That being said, she dived under her counter, trying to look very busy and avoiding every further contact with the young priest.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett took the package and followed the woman’s example of making no further mention of it.
“Until tomorrow then, Madame.”

Walking through the streets barefoot brought back memories of younger days for the red-haired fellow. Days spent wandering with bare feet through the village and the nearby Abbey grounds. Hide-and-seek with his friends. The occassional distress his mother had shown at dirty footprints marking her hallways. Simple days and simple pursuits.

So it was, he was in a gentle mood when his feet carried him to the grounds of the priests of the Red Warrior.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Because the Red Warrior is normally called upon in battles and war tribunals, tents or temporary camps are his natural habitat, unlike buildings of stone and wood. However, as a concession to the pilgrims, there are several shrines dedicated to him, scattered across the Isles.

Where Barrett was standing right now, there was even a temple with several residing priests and acolytes. The building was neither big nor ornate. Wooden grids, lacquered in the blood red color of the Warrior decorated the otherwise plain façade.

The interior consisted out of one big square room. All walls were plastered in white, whereas the few visible summers were painted red. The central floor was covered with mats of reed, on which two people -clad in red- were practicing their weapon skills by means of a duel with wooden swords.

At the edge of the room, a woman and a man were staring at a kemnboard, their foreheads frowned. The man reached out to one of his pieces, but reconsidered and moved his hand back to his lap. The sliding door to a sober garden was wide open, so fresh air ran through the temple. All of a sudden, Barrett heard a loud thump. One of the two swordfighters had just floored the other. She took of her protective mask, and approached Barrett. “How can I be of service, young man?”
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett entered the temple area with an air of calm about him. He took in the different aspects of worship and exercise, letting them add to the information he had gleaned from other sources of the Red Warrior and his followers. The kemn game interested him greatly - his uncle had given him a few lessons, but not many people in the village played and chores had chased the game strategies out of his head before he could consider them fully. His attention was torn away from the board by the finish of the practice match.

A few days before, his speech might have seemed awkward or tentative. But the events that had surrounded his presence on the Isle had transformed him somewhat and there was certainty - a sense of authority and confidence in his voice.
"I am Barrett of the Order of Aurelius. I have come to offer my respect to your order in appreciation of the service and sacrifice of your sister, Lana. She performed a great service for all the Isle, and helped me out of a tight spot."

"I have also come in hopes that I may receive some instruction in self defense, so that I might require a bit less protection and be less of a liability if and when I find myself in a combat situation again."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

A simple gesture of the priestess was enough to make her acolyte assemble his things and disappear from sight.

"Please join me to the garden" said the woman. They found a stone block there without any support for the back. The priestess sat down, her back straight as a candle. "Do have a seat, Barrett. Your condolence is greatly appreciated. Lana was an invaluable part of our congregation. However, she did nothing but the will of her Commander. Hence no gratitude do you owe her."

"We can surely teach you the ways of arms. It's the easiest thing our students learn in this temple. You do understand, I hope, that we can only teach you... miscellaneous weapons such as the whip, considering your background?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett followed the lead of the priestess and sat with uncommonly straight posture. It was quite a change from being bent over a desk or book. It actually felt good.

“Then it is gratitude I owe to her Commander. That I shall remember.”
He gave a solemn bow before straightening up to consider the rest of her words.

“Whips!? Oh - I do understand what you mean. It is not my intention to carry any weapon for the purpose of ending another’s life. Indeed, I had wondered what I might learn in the way of dodging and using my own body as a weapon. Although... my uncle was known for a particular local fighting style in Dort when he was a boy. He was good with both a staff and the two-stick fighting method. Perhaps I may have some aptitude for that as could come in handy without making myself seem too lethal.”

“On another note, I noticed the kemnboard being used. Strategy is also important in defending against or avoiding attacks altogether. If such training is also open to an outsider such as myself, I would be most grateful for an introduction.”
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"And He will ride with you" she commented.

She listened to the young man with a business-like expression on her face: intently, but formal. "The problem with staff technique is that it can be easily transferred to, for example the double lilly. I don't know how far you have come in the teachings of your cult, but I am, in any case, not entitled to teach you any skills that could directly help you to wield edged weapons.

But you are right; for the use you seek and need, it is much more functional to learn unarmed combat. For a little donation to the temple, I will be glad to teach you. However, this shall not be a project of a few hours. I hope you udnerstand that.

To play Kemn, well, we do that to train the mind and relax the body. If you do not know how to play yet, I consider it my duty to teach you."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett wondered at the stricture against even learning a style of defense that might be adapted to swordplay. It seemed odd for knowledge to be forbidden to him. Still, he really had no wish to carry a weapon that might brand him an aggressor, so the priestess’s solution seemed agreeable.

“Ah, I have learned that anything worth learning is likely to take some time. And the exercise will be a welcome contrast to my more scholarly pursuits. I would be homoured to be your student in unarmed combat. As for the Kemn... my uncle once tried to teach me, but that was long ago and there were few others around to practice. I fear I have lost the sense of it. Yes, I would be your student for that as well.”
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The priestess saw very well what went on in the mind of the young Aurelian. "It's a promise we've made, Barrett. I cannot give you further explanation either. That's a promise too.

But know that the most legendary paladin has ever brought forth was one that fought with armor nor weapon." This last remark contrasted a bit with the harsh, militaristic conversation style of the woman; only now did Barrett notice that she was probably an achadhiel.

"The art of unarmed combat is as much a spiritual enrichment as a practical tool" she said, while taking the hair pin out. She had very long ebony hair, black at first sight, but brown for the better observer. While she continued her sermon, she tied it back with a very complex series of manipulation, ending with the pin being put back into place. "In our Temple, we teach many Martial Arts. Like theolog studies several religions. The one style we try to perfect ourselves in is called Salaura Hileuwroth. I don't know how good your ancient Adhiel is. It means memory of the flesh."

"When you ask a beginner what Kemn is about, he will tell you 'Well, the astrologer can move like this and so.' This is not what Kemn is about. Knowing the moves of the pieces is insufficient. It would be like saying knowing the names of the letters is enough to read. What it comes down to is automatisms. One cannot simply analyse each position from scratch. We use standard openings; famous end plays of Grandmasters. General principles as to where each piece has the greatest potential. In essence, it comes down to studying hard to construct mental shortcuts. It is those that will win you the game. For in these shortcuts lies embedded the experience of ages which the erudite Kemnplayer can use for the sake of his or her own positions. Kemn is studying as much as it is strategy."

"A similar philosophy forms the basis of a descent self-defence. When assaulted, one has not the time to consider all options and make the wisest or most practical conclusions. When this moment comes, the defender must have bred reflexes that will lead automatically to the strategically superior actions. In other words, it requires drilling. The mind is slower than the reflexes of the flesh."

"This is the first and foremost principle of Salaura Hileuwroth. The other principles are exactly algorithms one must master in the light of the memory of the flesh. Always defend the central vertical axis of your body. It is the most vital one. Do not see defensive and offensive moves as separated procedures. An integrative action makes you double as quick."

"So, young man. Any questions on theory? Or are you ready for practice already?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“Salaura Hileuwroth.”
Barrett let the words and their meaning echo through his head.
“Memory and recognition. Body and mind. This explains much about the reactions I have seen warriors take in emergency situations. There is not a conscious decision to each step, but a recognition for the need to... recall established sequences in a useful, immediate manner. This also frees the mind to anticipate further needs while the body performs a sequence.”

The lad took a moment to clear his thoughts, trying to create a blank slate upon which to write his new knowledge.
Memory of the flesh.

“I am ready to learn.”
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Get up your feet then." She led him back inside to the mat, on which one can fall without breaking his back. "You never step on the mat with shoes," she said, clearly expecting Barrett would take them off without further ado. "And leave all fragile belongings you may have on you there too."

What followed was a hard lesson to learn. The priestess showed him what a good basic position was. She taught him by means of flooring him till he kept standing. Then she showed him basic sequences to deflect blows and kicks. She taught him by means of hitting and kicking him until he was successful. She showed him how to fall -forward and backward-. She taught him by means of throwing him until it didn't hurt anymore.

After all that, she gave him some general instructions about disarming and pain points. Several marks passed during these exercises. By the time the first lesson was over, Barrett was bruised and aching all over. His keen mind would probably estimate the ratio black - white skin to be about 60 - 40.

"You've done very well, Barrett," said the priestess while helping him up for the first time. "I think this suffices for now. Want some ice for your face and some tea for your mind? We still have both."

It was already dark outside, and all the other clergymen had left the temple some time ago. A hand of cold wind stoked his sweaty back. "You can also have a bath here, if you wish." She grinned, for she herself was not nearly as moist as the young priest of Aurelius was. "My name is Onu, by the way." She took of the red stole that indicated she had been serving. It had been tied together behind her back during the lesson. She put it on a hook next to many similar objects. Most were red-white striped. Onu's was full red. Now she was only wearing a rather practical white sack.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett merely smiled at the mention of shoes, not bothering to point out that his feet were already bare.
It was the last smile to cross his face for a while. The lessons were rough, the teacher determined to beat the basics into him. Bruised and winded, the young man did not complain. He merely turned each exercise about in his mind to find the proper way to adapt his movements, his postures, his reflexes.

The falls were the hardest. His instinct was to throw his arms forward to block a fall. But to trust to his body and momentum to turn a fall into a roll or displace the force of a harsh landing were lessons he needed to master if he were to survive even this one lesson.

Through all the physical exertion, the young priest kept his mind open to memorizing the lessons that went along with the movements.

When it was over, it took Barrett a moment to recover. He bowed deeply to Onu, in thanks.
"Ice for my face, hah! My poor face - if there is anything left of it after this Isle but a big bruised rash I'll be surprised. No thank you, Onu, I have salve back at my room for the injuries."
He did not really feel like having tea just then, but his mother's voice nagged at the back of his mind that it was poor manners to turn down a friendly cup of tea.
"The tea I will gladly accept, however, as I will need my mind refreshed for the work I have planned for tonight."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Work planned? By the Red Sword! You should have told me, I would have been a bit softer on you." She took a pot of hot water that was readily waiting on a humble stove with a small fire in it. A handful of herbs went into the pot, and Onu filled two beakers with skillful hand.

"Here you go," she said, guiding him to a seat. "You'll need a bucket load of salve to cover each bruise on your body, young man. Follow my advice, and take a warm bath tonight; your muscles will be grateful."

"What work have you planned, Barrett? An what are your plans in a slightly longer run?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Softer?! I am glad I said nothing. Why should I want only part of the lesson."
He laughed, but his eyes showed that he meant what he said.

"Work is a relative word. I am planning to return to my room and meditate on all that has happened on this day. Then I will pray for the Thinker's guidance in helping to understand the great pattern and all of the small parts of it that I have taken into myself. Then the work: I will write an account of things that i have seen and done. An assignment at writing and calligraphy, and of sorting out my thoughts into a readable form. None of this should be too compromised by a few bruises and aches."

"As for the longer run... I feel my time on the Isle is nearing an end. I was called and witnessed and, to a lesser extent, participated in what I was meant to see. I have begun to understand the pattern. How the actions of all are part of something larger. The movement of men and women, of the crabs in the sand, of the stars in the heavens. All small patterns within the whole - the language of the cosmos. Like the sequences in combat or the moves of a game of Kemn. All carry some significance. It is the greater pattern that I wish to uncover and perhaps understand - if only a small part of it."

"I seek ancient knowledge and common knowledge in old books and in people living their lives in a multitude of simple and not-so-simple ways. All of this as a foundation for what I hope to be my own contributions to solving history's puzzles and the problems that we face in the present."

It was unlike Barrett to go on and on with passion about such abstract concepts with an audience. Usually he was the listener. But he felt he owed Onu something in exchange for the knowledge she had offered to share with him. A piece of his philosophy for a piece of her hard-earned arts.

Still, he did not mention specifically his intent to hunt for clues about the daemon he had encountered. Nor of his quest to search out hidden corruption within the established decision makers and politicians who controlled the fate of a trusting public.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

His smile was not hideous as such, but... remarkable in the least. "Well, I am glad I haven't told you the full lesson," the priestess commented, testing the swollenness of Barrett's right cheek with her strong fingers. "I made you look ugly enough as it is." She winked.
Then, she listened closely to what Barrett had to say. Clearly, she was amused or at least inspired by the passion with which he spoke of his.

"For me, brother, knowledge is as rainfall or gravity; it has no purpose of itself and is therefore insignificant if you don't give it guidance towards a goal.
I often notice when talking with followers of the Light One -you're the first Aurelian I meet, then again, I'm relatively new here- they want to unravel the pattern for the pattern's sake. Are you like this? Don't you feel obliged to use what you know? And if so, what for?
I appreciate the beauty of a seventh grade Salaura war dance, and it is an ecstatic feeling you get when you perform one without big flaws for the first time. Yet I would never train myself to such perfection in any field of knowledge if I could not use it for a good cause, you see?"

"About the game of Kemn, I have perhaps a bit of knowledge that may interest you. The general theory of scholars is that it was originally designed as an abstract version of a battlefield, in order to train tactics without losing several real lives every time you chose the wrong option. This is a rather silly theory, if you ask me. A Seneschal or Chaplain hardly has any role on a battlefield. Furthermore, there is no "horseman" or "archer" in the game of Kemn, to name but two sensible examples.
Thorough study of the few sources about the period in which it was invented suggest a different use. Most Kemn-players will not believe you, but originally it was an aid in divination. A seer would listen to your problem, and use his insight to assign each factor or circumstance to a piece on the board, be it one of the opponent or one for yourself. The seer would then construct a position on the board on which each piece and motive described your situation optimally. To grant Ithrainne and Krynsathis their role, two random players would then be selected to play the game, starting from the position determined by the seer. The outcome would then be a foretelling of your possible success in love, adversity, luck at the gambling table or whatsoever."

Onu smiled a friendly smile. "I thought maybe you would like to know that. Anyway, I'm going to do the sensible thing and take a bath myself now. Since you don't want to make use of our bathing facilites, I think we can better make an appointment now for your next lesson."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“Well, yes of course, knowledge is itself nothing without meaning. Hmm... that sounds odd. I mean to say that knowledge, or in this case, the Pattern, is a thing of beauty and wonder that it may take a lifetime and beyond to understand. But my desire to understand is tempered by a desire to share the benefits of such knowledge with others - so that it can be of use to all. Too often, those who learn scholarly arts are content to use it for their own ends or to strengthen their influence and wealth. Still others get caught up in the pursuit of knowledge and lose sight of their connection with the rest of humankind.”

“I hope to use it as an equalizing force. So that, for example, peasants are not dependent upon a few well-off citizens who can read and keep up with news. It is important for everyone to have access to literacy and communication, so that they cannot be led to their own doom by potentially corrupt leaders.

“I suppose the recent events on the Isle have colored my goals somewhat. Where before I would have been content to travel and teach people literacy and learn different cultures - and to share ideas about math and civilization with other scholars - now I find I a new desire to seek out corruption that is hidden beneath the veil of respectability and social status. Of course, I also have a personal stake in finding out more about the demon that was almost my undoing. But the less said of that, the better.”

Barrett smiled with amusement at Onu’s explanation of the different ideas about the origin of Kemn.
“I would suspect Kingdom or Duchy, perhaps, rather than a battlefield. Seneschals and Chaplains certainly would be influential pieces in a larger political picture. Hmm... and designed as a model... for kings... to make decisions. I rather like that.”

Barrett made an apointment at the Red priestess’s convenience- having only his intentions to visit the seamstress and his calligraphy instructor on the morrow. The “Tutor” was obviously beyond his ability to anticipate a schedule for, so the young priest would have to study what he could and wait for the mysterious man’s next communication.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"So I hear you well when I say finding the Pattern isn't your ultimate goal at all? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it is dangerous to devote yourself to investigation without a cause. But it is not what I would expect from an Aurelian, based on the little I know of them. Anyway, I'm content to hear you're like that."

She was generous with her smile again, then listened to his further explanations with an almost conspiring look in her eyes.
"I can give you only one advice, then. Beware of which enemies you may make. And why would you want to know about this dark being? From what I've heard, his interest in you was in no way personal, or am I mistaking? In any case, mind your steps carefully, then, Barrett. Such beings can wreck up your face even more thorough than I can." She patted him on his knee.

Then she stood up, undoing her long hair while agreeing on an appointment. "Come as it suits you after morningtide. I have services etcetera in the morning, but after that I don't have anything that can't be rescheduled. I'm not supposed to tell you this I guess, but some high temple authorities are eager to get you of the Isle, so I think you should grab every opportunity to learn with both hands. Certainly when it comes to defending your life."

She nodded friendly at Barrett, and then turned off, sauntering to the bath room.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

( OOC: Assuming for expediency that you do not have Barrett ambushed on the street or attacked while washing off the sweat and muck. As always, I'll be happy to edit if necessary. :) )

That the authorities wanted Barrett off the Isle came as no surprise. After all, they hardly made it a secret judging by how he was treated. The young priest was, in truth, quite eager to leave the Isle: he had drawn too much attention to be able to investigate with anonymity. Still, there were things to do, information to be found, before he would feel free to leave.

He made his way back to his quarters, keeping an eye open for possible ambush.

Once back, he sought out a bath first thing and thought about what he might have planned for the rest of he night.

Onu's question about his interest in the demon kept returning to his thoughts.
Does it make sense for me to keep up this interest in such a dangerous being? Isn't that what the paladins are there for? Still, I feel some need to seek out the information so that the same designs might not be made upon me again. And what if the thing does[/i] remember me and seek me out?[/i]
Finally, he was forced to consider the possibility that he was motivated in part by a need to avenge Asran. he let the various ideas simmer for a bit and then moved on to other things.

After washing, Barrett returned to his room and sought out his meditative center. He needed his mind to be sharp for the exercise he had planned: to sketch out notes and illustrations on the lessons of defense he had learned at the Red Temple. He recalled carefully each detail and the sequence in which each lesson had occurred. Next, he set out his paper and writing materials. He experimented a bit with simple, stylized drawings of a figure that could be used to show certain moves and actions. He concentrated less on a realistic figure than upon the need to properly convey balance and motion and the relation of the participants in space. Once he was satisfied that he had something workable, he began the task of writing the accompanying text. A simple but elegant script was his goal. He let the text speak for itself with little decoration.

After some stops and starts, once he had something he would not be ashamed to show Mellorius, he added some extra illustrations on separate pages. He found himself trying to draw the Kemnboard and its playing pieces from memory.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: you assumed perfectly :)

IC:
The night was quite and peaceful. The Isle of the Oracle bathed in it's normal atmosphere again, but for Barrett it was perhaps a strange experience. It was fresh outside, but not cold. The sensation was rather soothing, in fact, for the young man's beaten body. There was no need of putting on Asran's cloak, and it probably didn't even come to Barrett's mind.

The sky looked like velvet of the darkest kind. Numerous shiny pearls were lying on it. For just a slice of a flicker, all constellations made perfect sense, as if Barrett himself had logically arranged them like that. Had he not been so on guard, perhaps he would have grasped this insight permanently. However, by the time he arrived at the dorms, it was gone like a forgotten dream.

As soon as he was settled in his chamber, and went searching for his core, he was sucked in meditation. His body as well as his soul were exhausted by the thorough training and needed recovery. Even afterwards, as he started his drawing, he felt a bit foggy and woozy. Perhaps this state of mind was somehow beneficial for the drawing. The drawings worked out remarkably well. If he would look at them later, his analytical mind would immediately recognize the geometric structures in the poses Onu had taught him, the presence of the Golden Ratio everywhere, the many principles of mechanica they seemed to depict. Above all, they were beautiful in all their stylistic abstractness.

The writing was more difficult. The forming of the characters wasn't the problem. It was writing and phrasing such complex thoughts with his limited skill in literacy that formed a problem.

Drawing the Kemnboard was hardly a challenge for the Aurelian. The principles of perspective had easily been absorbed by his mind. The straight lines required little skill in drawing.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett carefully looked over his work. The drawings and the shaping of the characters were pleasing, but his manner of wording the lessons seemed a bit... lacking somehow.

As he examined the drawings, his mind was caught up in the mathematical relationships and geometry of the forms. The relationships all made mathematical sense if analyzed. This discovery - and the exercise of working out the formulae as well as he could - pleased the young man. An unintended benefit of his exercise.

Tomorrow I must bring these by for Mellorius's evaluation. If they are not too embarrassing perhaps they would make a nice gift for Onu.

There were a number of other things that Barrett had wished to review, but his fatigue signaled that he would require rest before any significant work could be done. He let his mind wander back across the day's events, a minor meditation.
Thinker, I thank you for your guidance along a path of myriad discoveries. I hope I shall prove a worthy servant and contribute my own findings and developments to the great Pattern in time. Please grant me accuracy and adaptability to fulfill my part in this great evershifting puzzle of life.

He spent his remaining few waking burns in recalling the movements and functions of the pieces on the Kemn board and in contemplation of the various patterns and subpatterns these movements might form.

The morning found him stiff and sore. A tall mass of aching muscles and flesh. It took him a while to pull his mind together in a cohesive manner to control the body.

The lad rose, stretched, spent some time in breathing and meditation, and then pondered his tasks for the day. Curiosity finally moved him to open the package containing Asran's cloak.
Perhaps, he mused, he might make use of it himself.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”