Sea and Stone (Chyril 27th, early MT)

Moderator: Mods

Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Sea and Stone (Chyril 27th, early MT)

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

This morning, just as every morning, Hue rose before the sun. Had she a horizon on a small world, the people there would have been able to rely on her as if she were a clock, just as she relied on the sun to be the same. And this morning, just as every morning, her eyes opened without resistance, their obsidian gaze fixing placidly on the ceiling. Though she had been at the Dragon Monastery for but three days (this being her third), it was already quite obvious to those around her that she had a morning routine which was always followed. Now, it was time to follow that routine once more.

With a strong flex of muscles Hue sat up straight, her spine erect and strong. Her arms lifted above her head, hands coming together at the palms as she lowered them to her chest, bowing her nose to her fingertips. Her eyes closed as she mouthed a silent prayer of thanks to the Kami for another night of rest and asked for a chance to further herself that day -- and the prayer was indeed silent, for the rice paper walls of her apartment were as thin as could be, and many were still sleeping.

As silently as a fish beneath the waters of a calm lake, Hue moved from her sleeping mat and knelt next to it, rolling it up expertly and folding her blanket on top of it. Setting them aside and out of the way, she knelt before her backpack, fetching her wooden comb. For the next two burns she combed through her ebony locks, though it was almost unnecessary: Hue slept without moving, and her hair was always the same the next morning as when she had first laid down. Upon finishing she set her comb down, splitting her hair into three even sections and, with an expert hand and speed born of styling her hair in this way for many yahren, she proceeded to braid her hair tightly and flawlessly. It was so long that half way through she had to pull it over her shoulder to finish, but she was done in less than two more burns, and the braid was secured with a tightly tied yellow ribbon.

From her pack she then fetched a simple long-sleeved blue robe that reached to her knees and a pair of yellow pants with one thick orange stripe at the bottom of each leg. Yellow and blue were the two colors she was seen most often in: yellow for her family color, and blue for water, her family's favored element -- and hers as well. She dressed without hurrying, slipping her black leather shoes on and taking a deep, calming breath. Hue didn't own a mirror. She never wore make-up.

Finally rising to her feet, Hue went to the door of her room and slid it open, turning to close it quietly behind her. Her movements were measured and steady as she walked down the hallway between the little apartments, listening quietly to the sounds within and the soft swish, swish of the cloth of her pants meeting between strides. As always her first intention was to visit the Garden of Stones, which she favored most for her morning meditations.
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15174]Hue artwork[/url][/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Later that morning, at dawn, Hue would be expected to attend the ceremony that opened every day at the monastery, the greeting of the sun, just like the arrival of the moon would be celebrated. It was all a circle. All in balance. Those that respected the elements would find peace and harmony. It was one of the core believes of the Sojen and such ceremonies gave shape to their daily lives. However, that was still half a mark away as she made her way through the compound, her feet making the tiny pebbles utter the smallest protest.

The Garden of Stones was located just behind the Pagoda of Harmony, which towered over it, soon throwing a shadow with its tip that would move through the garden from morningtide till sunset in eveningtide. Thanks to the shadow the visitor could read the exact candlemark, even the quartermark by the runes painted upon the rocks spread out through the garden. Now however, it was darkness that had settled on the white and grey stones.

Nothing in the garden was left to chance. Everything was symbol. The pebbles and sand were carefully raked into delicate patterns that were reminiscent of waves, clouds and even leaves, with large steppingstones suggesting a path that respected the minute work, but also gave weight to the illusion it truly was water or air. Moss was allowed to grown on the rocks, then the tiniest bit of water dripped on those rocks from bamboo constructions, leading water through the whole garden and filling it with its soft harmonious sound, and ending in the small bamboo container with the bucket and spoon that allowed the visitor to clean his hands and face, taking a sip of the cold water to cleanse inside as well.

The name garden was deceptive, for safe for the moss no plants were growing in this controlled environment, except for the bamboo trees that surrounded the garden almost like a wall, leaving but small slivers in between through which the rest of the monastery could be viewed, now still vast asleep, save for a few lanterns that moved quietly through the early morningtide.
Last edited by Maeve on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

It was important to Hue that she purify and center herself before she met the sun each morning, for how could one greet the light with a dark heart? Once, when she was very young and still learning to wake earlier than the sun, she did not rise in time to practice her morning meditations. She could still remember the deeply pervading sense of shame and, whether brought on by her own guilty conscience or the disappointment of the Kami, Hue had vowed never again to wake less than half a mark before the sun.

The thin soles of her shoes served their purpose to protect Hue's feet, but the thinly worn leather also allowed her to still feel some amount of texture and form through them. The small pebbles of the entrance area shifted slightly beneath the light touch of her careful feet, and Hue was keenly aware of this. She was aware of the flex of muscles in her feet as they adjusted automatically with each small slip to maintain her balance. She was aware of each muscle in her body, right down to the flex of her abdominal muscles with each intake and exhalation of breath. She noticed what most others took for granted, and her thoughts were ever churning, ever focused -- despite her calm outward appearance.

For but a flicker she paused to look out across the city and toward the ocean. The waters seemed calmer today, and Hue smiled gently, pleased with this. Troubled waters troubled her as well, for she thought of herself in many ways as water; and while others simply endured the storms, she felt the thrashing of the waves in her heart. It had been troublesome, but today her heart was light. Turning and passing through the towering Pagoda of Harmony, its shadow not yet present upon the stones, Hue entered the Garden of Stones and paused at the entrance to admire the patterns raked into the pebbles. She marveled at the skill of those who placed the patterns there, and decided that one day she would watch them do it. Perhaps they would allow her to help.

Keeping to the larger stones so as not to disturb the patterns, Hue made her way to the bucket and cleaned her face and hands, ere taking a small sip of the cool water and remaining still so that she might concentrate on the path of the coldness running down her throat and into her veins. It was only after this that she sought a large rock that sat off to the side in front of some of the bamboo trees. She had to jump to reach it without disturbing the pebbles, but she had already learned of just the right spot to leap from. For a few flickers she paused, closing her eyes, willing herself to become lighter, focusing on the strength of the muscles in her legs. Then, in a quick spring of motion, Hue opened her eyes and leapt forward, landing in a silent crouch upon the rock. A small smile betrayed her pleasure at her success. Air was an element she enjoyed as well.

With deliberate movements she sat upon the stone and straightened her spine, her legs crossing betwixt each other, feet resting just on top of her thighs. Her hands went to her knees, palms up, fingers open to more easily receive the energies and blessings of the Kami and the elements. She sat completely erect, her spine straight and tall. The coolness of the stone reached her skin through the thin cloth of her garments as she closed her eyes and, as in all things, welcomed the Kami to speak to her as she meditated. Only once or twice had she felt any sort of deeper connection -- even beyond the one she gained in practice -- during her meditation, but Hue was not impatient. They would speak if they wished.

Focusing then on the stone beneath her, she pulled that coolness up into her body, concentrating on the unmoving strength of its element and seeking to achieve the same impassive state of just being. Her breathing became slower, her energies focused along her spine, flowing up and down with each intake and release of breath, like the endless lapping of waves upon the shore. Hue emptied her mind slowly, for meditation was not to be rushed, and though she was well practiced she still had far to go before she could slip instantly into that mental state. It did not take her many burns, however, before she became almost as stone, unmoving save for the barely imperceptible shift of her chest and stomach with her breathing. Her thoughts did not roam, but stayed focused and constant -- and should they begin to wander, she simply caught them and set them back where they belonged, acknowledging the thought before simply letting it go.

Thus far no one had entered the garden so early, and Hue had found her meditations uninterrupted. If this was the case this morningtide as well, she would remain in deep meditation until a few burns before the ceremony would begin. The shift in the temperature of the air heralded the imminent return of the sun, and it was that which she had learned to notice and end her meditations by.

OOC: Hope you don't mind me creating that stone!
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Hue's meditation went largely undisturbed though the waking of birds anticipating the upcoming dawn did somewhat attack her concentration. It was all part of the balance of life.

When Hue woke out of her trance she noticed a small still yellow robed figure, his bald head glistering in the last of the darkness, his features somewhat hidden by the shadows. However when he spoke the familiarity of his voice wrapped around her. It was Nguyen Dranh Phu, or as was common at the Sojen, just Phu, the monk that had greeted her upon arrival and since been a kind mentor to her. "Have you thought upon the question I asked you three days ago, Hue? What is the path that you wish to take within the monastery? Which order shall have your teaching?"
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue found herself distracted here and there by the birds, and at first it was difficult not to listen. Their gentle chirps and flutterings always brought her joy, but slowly she was learning to keep herself from truly listening to them -- at least for the course of her meditations.

Opening her eyes several burns later, Hue found herself feeling refreshed and energetic, ready for the day ahead. A gentle smile pulled at the corners of her lips, her dark eyes lifting upward toward the growing lightness of the sky. She became aware, however, of a figure standing nearby in the shadows, and turned toward it as she gently leapt from her rock to land on the path of stones once more. The temple was safe, so she did not worry for herself. The figure would not be a threat.

And indeed it proved only to be Nguyen Dranh Phu. The smile on her lips widened; she liked him. He was wise and a good mentor, and she bowed to him. It was not a great bow -- her head inclining politely, her palms meeting betwixt her ribs as her spine curved gently downward, like a bamboo stalk in the wind -- but it was one of respect. She was still smiling gently when she responded. Hue always smiled after her meditations.

"I have, yes. I would like to follow the teachings of the order Weigh Heigh," she answered in gentle tones, not unlike the sighing of the sea. The choice had not been terribly hard for her, but Hue did not rush when she could help it and had decided to announce her decision only when asked again. This also gave her ample time to make sure she had made the right choice -- and gave the Kami time to tell her if she was wrong or they wished otherwise. In all aspects of her life, Hue included the Kami.

The ceremony of the greeting of the sun was to begin soon, and Hue crossed through the Garden of Stone via the rock path once again, pausing to wait for Phu. They could walk together, and discuss her decision on the way if he wished.
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Phu bowed, a little pleased smile on his face. "You have chosen well," he affirmed to Hue "As I knew you would." He was pleased with the progress of his pupil, taking her time to answer yet being so sure that instinct and the Kami must have steered her.

Without further words he followed her path. While they moved towards the central courtyard Phu remarked "Your routine's will change upon your choice, as I'm sure you understand.Yet, fear not, I shall still be available for our exercise each day after the Sun ceremony."

He glanced at her "Is there any doubt in you, Hue Em?"
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

A gentle smile pulled on the corners of Hue's lips as Phu spoke of his confidence in her. She was glad to learn that she seemed as wise as she wished to be, and her head bowed slightly in acknowledgment. His further comment on her routine was met with another slight nod. Hue was of course willing to shape her life around whatever path she was steered toward, but she was glad to learn their daily exercise would not be compromised. She enjoyed her time with Phu; he was surely favored by the Kami.

Hue had been walking with her eyes set thoughtfully on the pebbles a few feet ahead, but Phu's question caused her to lift her gaze, which then roamed slowly about her surroundings. She was obviously considering his words carefully, rather than blurting out the first thing that came to her mind. She listened both for discord from her spirit or from the Kami, just as she had done countless times before. Her movements, her thoughts -- all were deliberate and careful, measured and steady. Hue strove for balance in all things, and it showed clearly in her mannerisms. After a few long flickers, she directed a gentle smile at Phu.

"If there are any doubts in me, they are elusive. I find only harmony with my decision." After another moment of thought, she added, "My feet are where they should be."

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Phu only smiled upon her answer, guiding them both towards the central courtyard where already so many were gathering.

"Hue Em, after the ceremony you can report to the Pagoda of Harmony. However, remember that the path to enlightenment is one you need to walk yourself. Do not solely rely on your teachers. Do not be a stranger to the world," the Sojen cautioned her in a hushed whisper "Your teachers will not tell you this, for they guard your time as if it is Jade, keeping it all to themselves."
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

The fact that Phu had said can, implying that she had the choice to report to the pagoda, was not lost on Hue. Her gaze cast itself sideways at him in a rare display of curiosity and mild surprise. His following words explained further his meaning, and Hue looked again at the pebbles as she wondered at this.

Hue had spent most of her life with teachers -- learning what they wished her to learn, saying what they wished her to say, doing what they wished her to do -- and she had grown accustomed to reporting always to someone else. The idea of governing herself rather than leaving her activities to the discretion of her respected elders surprised her. Was that truly an acceptable option? What, if anything, could the world teach her that her instructors could not? She was puzzled, but did not ask her questions. Hue trusted the answers would come to her in time.

Just before they entered the central courtyard, Hue gave Phu another smile. "Caum on, Phu Em. I will remember to consider your words."

OOC: Fin?

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Fin and send for skilling!
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Long Danh archive”