Two of those and one of these (open) (Chyril 27th TT)

Moderator: Mods

Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

Two of those and one of these (open) (Chyril 27th TT)

Post by Elvira Rodriguez »

The Delta of the Long Song stretched below and around the Long Hang Mountain, creating endless small channels and waterways, home to the famous Floating City. Where the Long Dong Song becomes wider the pulsing life of the city is reborn every day.
In the early morningtide, just after first light, the first boats start to appear, coming from the far countryside that surrounds Long Danh. They are low, flat boats, with larger poles upon which the merchants hang their goods for sale. Often brown in color, sometimes they are painted red or yellow, even blue. Some of the larger richer boats can afford a roof against the sun. Larger sized boats anchor and create lanes that smaller boats weave in and out of. The waterway becomes a maze of hundreds of boats packed with mango, bananas, papaya, pineapple, caged birds, fish, flowers, silk and anything else that is for sale in Long Danh. The merchants, with their simple tunics and conic bamboo hats, often wearing a simple face covering against the vapors, paddle quietly, reacting to a wave of the hand or other simple signals. There is no haggling. Each knows his price.

With the children, at least those that chose to heed her advice, safely tucked in bed and recovering from the hard swim home, Elvira found herself restless and with a murmured excuse that served no purpose at all she left Chau's home and set out. She did need to find a new pair of pants for Gerrard, as well as a frilly lace shirt. Aislin needed some clothes too, and even Elvira could use a fresh shirt and maybe a pair of breeches. Her first course of action was to make her way back to the road leading towards the beach, and memorize where Chau's boat-house was so she could return later on.

Then she naturally gravitated towards the busy part of the strange town she found herself in, and found the marketplace, or at least what went for a marketplace in Long Danh. She decided to test her luck with the merchants and found her way to the small boat stacked with what looked like fruits, and with her most charming smile plastered on her face the mischievous girl pointed at a mango. "I'd like two of those." She pointed towards the fruit and held up two fingers, reaching into her purse and pulling out a handful of coins, most of them being banners and lances. She held her palm before the merchant offering him to pick out the amount needed to complete the sale. The other purse, one containing the larger coins was tucked safely in her boot, and she had no intention of drawing it out in the open.
Oooooh, is that your money pouch, or have I just landed meself a husband there, luv.
Avatar by the adorable [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Pixieface[/url]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

It was difficult to locate shops. In fact, the dealing appeared to be happening on the boats, especially the ones that move slowly through the river, stopping at a sign of a potential buyer.

Now, there was a delight of things for sale, but nothing that Elvira was used to. There was an incredible sad lack of white frilly shirts and black tight breeches. The locals appeared to favor tunics and comfortable yet not too loose breeches of cloth rather than leather. Most of them in muted colors. If other fashions were available it certainly was not in the Floating Market.

As Elvira was still making her choice, she saw from the corner of her eye, with a rogue's instinct that a unit of soldiers was making its way through the crowd. They wore padded armour of some sort, and were dressed in purest black. Crowds parted to led them through.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

It was only a matter of watching the local as they moved around her for a while, before Elvira figured out the way to get the shop to her instead of having to go to the shop like she was used to. The lack of frilly shirts and tight leather breeches was a potential problem, but one that could be rectified easily, with a simple visit to a tailor of some sort. Keeping an eye on the guards she beckoned the fruit merchant over and purchased a pair of mangos, tucking one under her arm as she began peeling the other, moving idly and casually towards the fancy-dress guards so she could take a closer look. She did plan on moving out of the way like locals did, but she was bored and they looked different than the dirt-poor farmers and merchants around her. Munching on the fruit she began humming a tune, and then remembered the locals could not understand her and began singing softly.

" Now, there once was a man called Anthony Clair
He was a very fine jugulaire,
There wasn't a man who could compare
With the way he fiddled and played with his balls.

For they were large balls, large balls,
Balls as heavy as lead.
With a dexterous twist of his muscular wrist,
He could flick them right over his head.

Now, Anthony was walking down the street,
Just by chance he happened to meet,
A pretty young maid with a dog at her feet,
Watching him fiddle and play with his balls.

Balls as heavy as lead.
He could flick them right over his head............"
Oooooh, is that your money pouch, or have I just landed meself a husband there, luv.
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue was troubled. Several large rocks had been tossed into the proverbial smooth waters of her spirit that day, and the ensuing ripples left her restless. Restless was not a state she was used to being in, and after several failed attempts at meditating (she just couldn't stop thinking!) she decided to go down to the Floating Market. Phu had told her not to rely too much on her teachers, so Hue decided to see what the world of the farmers could teach her -- and to find herself some delicious pears, her favorite fruit. Of course, she wasn't really avoiding her teachers. She did have a short break, though, before her next lesson. Surely that was close enough.

Having seen the Floating Market up close only once, Hue easily lost herself in the majesty of it all. She observed thoughtfully how the people flowed from one point to another, all in a steady weave and play of tides, moving betwixt themselves in wakes. Everything was like water to her, for water was like everything, and Hue was quite pleased with the unspoken rules and practices of the market. For some time she found a high point from which to watch it all, her blackest black eyes sparkling with silently expressed approval. It was less structured and rigid than the interactions in the palace, yet there was still an exchange here that was more than money. Hue could already see what Phu had meant.

Once Hue had seen enough to content her until she found herself a meal, she stepped into the flow of the crowd and began to walk along, watching for the right boat. Quickly she spied it, the fruit merchant already quite close by, and Hue was so focused on the prospect of sinking her teeth into a pear that she didn't even notice the strange girl with her mangoes. It was only after Hue had purchased no fewer than four pears and had already begun eating one that a strange language met her ears.

Well, it wasn't entirely strange. As a Sojen, Hue had learned the basics of the common language, which was sometimes used among the poorer peoples and the merchants. Yet never had she heard it spoken with such a strange accent, and Hue immediately turned, searching for the source of the voice. It was not hard to find, for the woman it belonged to was dressed quite differently. She was also...pinker than Hue was used to.

More change? Hue felt almost bewildered. It had been only a day, how could so much shift so quickly? Unfortunately, Hue was unused to circumstances being out of her control. It was a very strange feeling.

Hue couldn't understand the true meaning behind Elvira's song. Words such as jugulaire and dexterous eluded her, but it sounded as if she were talking about a man who tossed heavy balls around. Of course, Hue didn't understand the other connotations that the word "balls" could take on, so the bawdiness was lost on her. It was a strange song, however. Silently Hue shadowed Elvira from a distance, the many people betwixt them easily disguising Hue's mirrored path. Anyway, the girl seemed quite interested in the approaching guard. Hue also wondered slightly at it, though it was far less curious than the presence of a foreigner. Did she come with Rioja?
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15174]Hue artwork[/url][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The shopping went marvelously. Though the pirate girl invited lots of giggles and curious looks, the merchants were eager to sell to her, studying the coins the she handed over and chattering amongst themselves.

Elvira didn't have to take too much effort to move closer at the guards. In fact they walked straight up to her with determined gait, stopping just short of her. The man in front, from his slightly more expensive clothing and some colourful markings on his shoulder possibly one with a higher rank, stopped and bowed briefly to Elvira.

"Stranger," he said in very accented common, his demeanour polite, but somewhat tense "Request by our honoured lady of dragon that you and friends visit." His words send a hushed ripple of gossip through the crowds. Those few that understood common translating for the ever growing mass of people who couldn't. The palace had chosen to take an interest.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

OOC: I fear you shall have to hear the rest of the song some other time

As the guards came close and closer, Elvira began to have a strange feeling that they were not simply passing by on some errand, but were in fact looking for her. Still, there was not much she could do about it, other than keep on singing and feign innocence, as running away would just make them a bit nervous and maybe even angry. And that was something she wanted to avoid. It’s not like I did anything illegal yet. So, if I play it cool, I might even land on top of it all. As the guards kept coming closer, she pretended to have seen a boat whose contents interested her, still singing.

“Now, Anthony swung 'em round and round,
Let 'em go with a hell of a bound,
Right on the head of the faithful hound,
Watching him play with his balls.

Balls as heavy as lead.

Now, the maiden, she was overwrought,
Swore she'd take the case to court,
For in her opinion no man ought
To be twisting and playing with his balls.

Balls as heavy as lead.

They took him to a magistrate,
Who put him in a cell in state,
And left him there to meditate,
And fiddle and play with his balls.

Balls as heavy as lead.

And when they took the case to court,
The lawyer of the lady sought,
To prove that Anthony shouldn't ought,
To fiddle and play with his balls.

Balls as heavy as lead.

The jury said, "It's a bloody disgrace,
Exposing yourself in a public place,
Whacking your tool in a lady's face,
Twisting and playing with your balls."

Balls as heavy as lead.
He could flick them right over his head.”

As the guard stopped before her, Elvira pretended that she was trying to move out of his way, arching a brow as her lips formed a soundless oh. Chewing the mango she had in her mouth, she made a show of hastily swallowing it and pointed a finger at her chest, deliberately drawing attention to the curve of her bosom. “Me? Oh, but…..” She paused, looking at the guard pleadingly, eyes large and soft, furrowing her brows in the way she chew would crease her forehead, making the faint lines show upon it. “But, I can’t go see a lady dressed like this. There was a storm and we got washed ashore. I look a mess.” Turning she perked her rump at the guard and pointed. “Look at my trousers.” Hands went to the collar of her shirt as fingers traced the hem all the way to the first button, which at one time had been fourth from the top. “And I am missing buttons.” She nodded quickly and added with a small shrug. “But, if you think she won’t mind I suppose we could go.”
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Though Elvira was able to expound further on her song, Hue still only listened with mild puzzlement, wondering why the foreigner would bother singing such a pointless song. It had no underlying teaching or moral that she could discern.

As she considered this, however, the guard approached the woman and requested her presence at the palace. Hue's eyes widened slightly. If the palace was getting involved, it had to be something important. Even Hue knew that, without being a native of Long Danh. Her thoughts returned to Rioja and Hue looked around quickly, almost expecting the woman to be standing off in the shadows somewhere. What on Tazlure was going on around here?

Hue's eyebrows lifted further as she watched the foreign woman showing off various parts of her body to the guard. It was true, she did look a mess. But surely the palace didn't want to speak with her immediately? They had asked for her companions as well. Why was she acting so funny?

Seeing no reason to interfere, Hue remained a respectful distance away, watching quietly just as many others in the crowd. Aside from her dress and hairstyle, which marked her as a Sojen, she was largely unnoticeable.
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The officer swallowed. Elvira was using a lot of words he didn't know. He couldn't let her know of course, for that would be loss of honour. Yet he was struggling to understand the true meaning of those words. He looked around helplessly, uttering with an embarrassed tone of voice "Who speaks her language? Please serve the Long Lady."
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

It was only when she noticed the helpless look in the guard's eyes that Hue stirred. Seemingly out of no where an Eastern girl appeared to Elvira's right, bowing respectfully to the guard. She then turned and bowed to Elvira.

They were the same height when she stood up straight, and she was dressed modestly in a long-sleeved blue robe which reached to her knees, yellow pants on her legs. Her leather shoes were simple and black, and her long silken hair was bound behind her head in a tight braid which reached down her spine. Though Elvira would not recognize it, it would of course be quite clear to those around them that Hue was a Sojen. The girl's eyes were the blackest black, her pupils indistinguishable from her irises -- but her eyes were also kind, and it was clear her goal was to help Elvira.

Turning back to the guard, Hue smiled and addressed him in tones which flowed smoothly like water over stone. "I do not speak her language very fluently, Oang Em, but I believe she says she is not properly dressed for such a royal audience as our honorable lady. Perhaps she would appreciate a chance to prepare?"

Then, turning to Elvira, she repeated herself as best she could, her words heavily accented. "You dress badly, yes? Different time is better?"
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

Elvira was dressed in the only set of clothes she owned at the moment and thus look quite a mess, with her hair in disarray despite her half-hearted efforts to untangle the worst knots in it. Her shirt and corset were meant to tease and they served that purpose admirably, but even they could use an overhaul and a bit of repair as salt water was not kind to the fabric, the salt leaving faint white stains where the water evaporated and left the salt ingrained in the fabric.

Her excitement quickly died down as the guard reverted back to the local language, of which she did not understand a word, but soon a woman with disturbingly black eyes stepped in and addressed her in broken common. "Well, I fear fashion here is a bit different than where I come from, and while I may not be dressed according to latest fashion I would not call this bad. Just caught me at a bad time." She shrugged and tugged the sleeve of her dress. "I do not think we should keep your lady waiting, but I could use some clean clothes. And perhaps a quick lesson in how not to make an ass of myself in front of the lady of dragon."
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

OOC: Thwap me if I'm out of line here!

Hue's dark eyes watched Elvira's lips while the woman spoke, as if watching them closely would somehow help her understand better. She found herself almost marveling at the way the woman's mouth could form itself around such strange sounds as 'dr' and 'cl.' Hue always fumbled over those.

Elvira was not speaking particularly fast, yet most of her words still passed over Hue's head. The Eastern girl smiled politely, trying to work her way around all the superfluous words and catch the woman's simplest meanings. The almost blank look on her features would no doubt give away to Elvira that Hue did not have the firmest grasp on her language. Yet, there! She thought she had it.

"Bad time, want clothes and lesson." A moment's pause, and then she nodded. "I can give."

Hue turned back to the guard, feeling far more confident as she switched back to Noi Long and bowed deeply again. "Our honored guest wishes to make herself more presentable. If it pleases our lady and her honorable guard, I will take her to my room at the monastery and prepare her. It should not take more than one mark, and I will escort her to be presented." Standing then, she awaited his answer.

Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

Stifling a sigh as the girl before her showed only a rudimentary knowledge of common, Elvira smiled sweetly despite herself and nodded when help was offered, looking at the guards and repeating the nod, even though the gibberish that issued from Hue's lips meant nothing to her. "Yes. New clothes. And short lesson on how to behave. Same for my....friends. Especially the man Gerrard. He can't go to see noble lady with his..... privates showing" Here she pointed at the guard's groins and pretended to blush. "His pants were destroyed and he is not proper. You lead?" She paused and waited for confirmation, and prepared to describe the way to Chau's home so the guards could collect the rest of the gang. They did not seem hostile and it was for the best. "Tell the men that they tell others Elvira said it was safe. Elvira is my name. They won't be afraid of weapons if they hear familiar name."
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

OOC: and let's continue here too!

IC:

The guard looked at Hue with a hint of relief showing on his face. "One mark. Make sure she is presentable to our honorable lady. Her and her friends. Do not be late." Without further hesitation, the guard gave the command to walk on and instantly they all followed.

The people around the two girls were looking at them both, wondering why the lady would want to see the stranger. All around them people whispered, giggled and uttered sounds of amazement. The word was already spreading, like ripples in a pond.
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue indicated her assent with another gentle bow, keeping her head politely bowed until the guard had passed. When she stood again, she smiled to those who were whispering and staring, but it held meaning. Wordlessly, she told them it was time to go about their business.

Turning then to Elvira, Hue offered another gentle smile. "Our honored lady wants to meet you and.." Here she hesitated, searching for the right word. "..company? We get clothes first, then company. Come." Gesturing lightly, Hue began to make her way toward a boat selling clothing, glancing back to make sure the foreigner was following her.

"I am Ly Binh Hue, a Sojen." Hue didn't think it would mean much to Elvira, but she couldn't recall the word in her language. "Your name..?" She had many more questions she wished to ask, but she had a mark in which to ask them, and there was no need to rush. After all, there were few things Hue did quickly.

Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

Ever quick to grasp any advantage she could, Elvira silently mouthed the words the girl exchanged with the guard as well those of his reply, even though they meant little to her. "Ah, yes. I need clothes for company. Man not fit to see lady. His clothes ripped. Privates show through. Can't shock lady." Just as Hue used simple vocabulary, the pirate turned guest did the same unconsciously, though she was less likely to keep such practice, never being too considerate to others.

Vi fell in step with Hue, and arched a brow at the question, the edge of her lips curling into a smile as she stopped and swept into a flowery bow, which may have looked fancy, but was nowhere near resembling anything in use by nobility or courts. A jest and nothing more. "Pleased to meet you, Ly Binh Hue. My name is Elvira Rodriguez and you may call me Elvira. I am a lady of the sea." That sounded so much better than a pirate.

OOC: Tell me. I hear we can start more than one thread. Perhaps we ought to move forward and start the meeting with the lady right away?
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue nodded her head gently at Elvira's words, understanding enough of them to catch her meaning. When the foreign woman swept into an overexaggerated bow, a soft laugh escaped Hue's lips -- not in mockery, but pleasant amusement. "Very well, Elvira." She seemed to have a bit of trouble moving her tongue around an l and a v next to each other. It came out sounding a bit more like 'ervira,' but it was close enough to understand. "You may call me just Hue. I also like the sea."

Upon reaching the boat, Hue helped Elvira pick out some more appropriate outfits for her companions and herself, ere accompanying her to fetch them, and lead them back to her small apartment in the monastery.

OOC: Fin! I will start a new thread shortly.

Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

OOC: Was thinking more along the lines of playing this through and getting some lessons in local culture and fashion tips, while playing the meeting.

"So tell me, Hue, what do women in these parts wear? What I have on right now is good for a ship, but I think your lady might expect something more official." Elvira was already digging through clothes, reverting to her shopping persona with such an abundance available, much as she had done aboard Harpy after they caught with some fat merchant vessel. Noble lady passengers often found themselves short on wardrobe after Elvira went through it, even though she never wore most of the stuff she hoarded and usually ended selling it in the nearest post anyhow. "I would also like to know how to behave properly. Appropriate forms of address and the like. Maybe you could teach me a few words of your tongue? Something like Good day, noble lady. It is a great honor to meet you. I know only little of your tongue, but wanted to show my appreciation of your person by learning what little I could. Something like that."
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Can I suggest that you PM each other and come up with a summary of things discussed?
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

"Clothing depends on status. Rich wear pretty things, fishermen wear only black robes." Looking over Elvira's clothing, Hue carefully added, "Long sleeves, long robes. Less skin."

Standing nearby, Hue instructed Elvira on what would be best, making sure to steer her away from anything that might offend. Once the clothing was selected and paid for, Hue walked beside Elvira and taught her a few things as they made their way toward her companions. Waiting outside, she offered them advice once they had clothed themselves, and began leading them to her apartment. There was less chatting on the way back, however, as Hue began to feel the pressures of time.

OOC: As per Maeve's request because of the supersync, I am summing this up. Elvira, I sent you a PM with more information. Elvira and friends can continue here.

Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

There was a slight frown at the mention of less skin, though necessity dictated possibilities and if she wanted to get out of this place any time soon, Elvira knew she would need to play along. What was more important, if she wanted to profit from it all she needed not just to play along, but to learn the intricacies of the game and become a master at it. And this girl never played anything for scraps. "Buttoned up to the throat I would guess?" She did take the lessons to heart and even pestered Hue to get her apparel perfect, even seeking instructions on how to walk properly. This Dragon Empress seemed real important and while she may not be the ally Vi would use to get ahead, it was a first step she would make.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Skilled!

Return to “Long Danh archive”