Pan's Sects

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Pan's Sects

Post by Guest »

I was just wondering about the different sects of Pan. I know there are three sects but i cant find any information on how they interact. Do they follow a common god but disagree with how to praise him sort of like catholics and protestants, or do they they tolerate each other or will they embrace different sects?
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

http://www.wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Pan

To summarise, the three branches of worship in the Panling church are Pan's Art, Pan's Joy, and Pan's Blood. These branches simply worship Pan in different ways - they do not fight each other, and all consider themselves part of the same religion. Panlings sometimes cross over from one form of worship to another - or even worship in several ways at once.
Morg

Post by Morg »

For example, the Temple of Pan in the Citadel has altars for all three, and I believe that's the case for all of Pan's temples.

"Aspect" is probably a better word than "sect" here. A given worshipper might be drawn more towards one aspect than another, but would at the very least acknowledge and respect the other aspects.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

If there is any friction, it is between the sect of Pan's Blood and the other two. Artlings and Joylings tend to focus on pleasures while Bloodlings foucs on the ectasy of battle. As such, the Bloodlings can be a little offputting to the other more peaceful and fun-loving followers of Pan. Bloodlings still come to the parties but tend to form their group in a corner if that analogy makes sense.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OK, thanks. I’ve seen the info on that link at the website but it doesn’t really distinguish there how they deal with one another, only what they are, hence the question. ;)

I was just asking cause I’m playing a half-giant who follows the blood, I just wanted to get the right mindset for how he would feel about the another two. From what you’ve all said then it seems fine for him to acknowledge and perhaps dabble in the other ‘aspects’ (and yeah, that does seem to clarify it better) as the mood and situation dictates. Thanks clarifying it.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The religion of Pan is all about Passion! There is the creative passion, which encircles music and art and even creative writing/storytelling though we've focused on that less. There is the sensual passion which focuses on pleasures such as sex, fine foods/drinks and even tactile pleasures such as bathing, massage, soft cool silk on bare skin, etc. Then there is the physical passion of the blood to protect those under your care, but I believe this would also logically include a love of exercise and strength and the release that comes from exercise.

In a word, Panlings are fanatics. That in itself causes unity... and probably some philosophical division.. among them. After all, as fanatics we are all different than other people and perhaps in some ways 'cast outs'... .. but really we all believe that everyone should share OUR particular passion. However, this is likely to be true even within a certain aspect. As a visual art fanatic, I am going to feel it is superior to the musical vein. Even though I will admit the other veins have value and a place in the stream of things, I'll always feel they are less lofty than the particular discipline which I embrace.

As you might guess... all Panlings embrace the sensual aspect to some extent, some more than others. It is more rare to find followers who embrace both the creative and the blood.

:)
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

I have to disagree with Shaeliana here. I am also playing a half-giant blood worshiper. Mnnaguth loves the old battle chants and poetry. The deep rythems and drumming help take him to the altered state he finds himself in battle.

If anything, he would be less likely to engage in Pan's Joy. He is a sensual being but is afraid of what he might do to a partner in that altered state should he truly let himself go.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Didn't say it doesn't happen.. merely that it is the more common to find those who embrace the sensual aspect as well as either the creative side or the blood side rather than a mix of creative and blood. :)

When you get right down to it, I would guess most panlings have a bit of all three... but by embracing we are talking about that fanatical drive that pushes you to be very disciplined about something, not just an enjoyment of it.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “Questions & Answers”