About the Mods..

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Elsor
Civus

About the Mods..

Post by Elsor »

Right, I've read through the FAQ and the WIKI and whatever else should there be to read and I'm still a tad confused about the Mods.

Do they start all the posts in the boards for your character's personal storyline, and can you post your own?

Does a Mod have to be in every RP thread?

Would the Mod of my board get annoyed if I came up with a section of my own storyline and posted it to him/her to see if they like the idea to start a board?

Mind-boggling, If there is a question that has already been answered on these topics, I must have missed it. :shock:
Thanks to allavatars.com for my avatar!
Morg

Re: About the Mods..

Post by Morg »

That's a lot of big questions, but I'll try to answer what I can. :) The article in the wiki that will probably help you the most is Event Orientated Modding, which is a fancy title for a simple concept. Basically, the mods are responsible for absolutely everything that isn't your character's own actions. Even the results of those actions are determined by the mod if they could have an impact on the world or on NPCs. You state what the character does, and the mod evaluates your success. It's the system used in tabletop roleplaying, and it's quite a bit different from many play-by-post games out there.

Elsor wrote:Do they start all the posts in the boards for your character's personal storyline, and can you post your own?

The simple answer to this one is no. In fact, players are encouraged to start their own threads and to join threads started by other players. Some mods very rarely start new threads, instead simply responding to ones created by the players.

Elsor wrote:Does a Mod have to be in every RP thread?

No, but the fact that mods are responsible for the environment and for NPCs means that they are in most. The exceptions are usually threads which involve two or more players talking to one another, because mods aren't often needed to make decisions in that sort of thread.

Elsor wrote:Would the Mod of my board get annoyed if I came up with a section of my own storyline and posted it to him/her to see if they like the idea to start a board?

Mods here absolutely LOVE it if you come up with your own plans for things and start your own threads. You don't need to ask the mod if you have a good idea. All you need to remember is that in Tazlure you have control only over your character - you can't assume anything about NPCs or about the weather etc., and you can't assume the success of your actions. That's the mod's job.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you further. If you have any further questions, this is the right place to ask them!
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Elsor
Civus

thanks

Post by Elsor »

Like the subject says, thanks for the help. :D
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Elsor?

I think I've seen your Avatar elsewhere. Tazlure has a strict Avatar policy found here;

http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Avatar_FAQ

Could you please provide some information that you have permission to use that as an avatar?

Thanks!

V. and the Mods.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The pic is Vincent from Final Fantasy VII.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

-.- I'll change it.
Seth
Civus

Post by Seth »

I have been reading a lot and lurking about in each thread.

Since this thread primarily talk about mods...well, I'm confused.

If you're encouraged to create a thread - a storyline of sorts - and mods has the 'last word' on your character actions, and whether they fail or not in that action...then how can you go about doing a storyline about your character?

Example (ok this is a loose example lol):

Bob the Witless decided to be a pirate so wandered in Nether's Gate trying to get a position of a deckhand. While wandering he came across a seashell on the seashore. Bob picked it up, smelt it and tried to listen to the sea but the sand seeped in his ears. The silly pirate wannabe panicked thinking it was a snail or one of those land crabs skittering about. By gods, he was not the brightest star in the sky and screamed like a girl, "Ah!I be invaded! Siren's gots me!"

Bob saw a pirate or a possible pirate working to load cargo on the pirate ship. He frantically waved his hands, careless of the danger or just that desperate to receive help, and yelled pleadingly, "Help me! I'm doomed! It gots me it gots me!"

So can one post something similar like this or is it too freeform for this board? I'd appreciate for clarification. I mean no offense and no, Bob the Witless is not my character in making (thank god) :P
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Well, good question, Empyrean. What you posted as 'Bob the Witless' would be against the rules, mainly because you're making a lot of assumptions.

You're assuming that he finds a seashell first, and that the seashell tips sand into his ear. This is probably a minor one - you can get away with little things like this on occasion, because they make sense. It makes perfect sense that there would be a seashell on the shore (unless, for some reason, the mod has decided there aren't any. Which he might).

The more important error is the second assumption - that there is a pirate NPC working to load cargo on to a ship. You've assuming that this NPC exists, that he is there, and that his ship is there. All of these assumptions are over the line. You need to wait for the mod to describe the enviroment when it comes to big assumptions, and you may never create NPCs (even faceless crowds and minor people are a big no-no).

This is because the mod has done a lot of work behind the scenes to set up his environment in a certain way. What if there are no ships in Nether's Gate that day - they're all out to sea? This is possible, since there aren't that many pirate ships. And no ship means no pirate loading it. Until the mod has told you there's a ship there, and that there's a pirate there, you can't assume they are merely because you think it'd make a nice scene.

You drive your own story in Tazlure like this... your character goes around the environment manipulating it as he sees fit. He should have his own drive and direction in life, and not wait for mods to give him storyline. He needs to wait for mods to tell him what is in the environment, but once he's been told, it's up to him to make use of that. :) And you, the player, can usually have a fairly good idea of what is likely to be in the environment, and then go out to seek those things.

It's not unusual for a character to think about what they're looking for, or the writer to indicate what they're looking for in any given post. For example, "Bob wandered the shore," would be acceptable, whereas "Bob saw a ship on the shore," would not, although, "Bob wandered the shore looking for a ship" is best of all, because it assumes nothing but lets the mod know what you're hoping for. Whether or not the mod provides you with what you want is their business (and depends more on the background of the environment than them writing the scene merely to provide you with your wants), but it at least gives them an idea of what direction you intend to take. :)

It's quite a lot like the effect you have on your own world in real life. You decide only what you personally do, and make assumptions every day. You assume there will be toilet paper in the bathroom, for example. (You're not always right). You might hope your friends will be at the coffee shop to meet you on time, but they might not be. And you can't magically make them appear because you want them to be there. However, once they are there, you can talk to them all you want, and even hug them, or hit them, or whatever you want to do.

Make sense?
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Finn:
However, once they are there, you can talk to them all you want, and even offer to hug them, or attempt to hit them, or whatever you want to do within those guidelines.

There ya go, Finn... Fixed that for ya.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

You can use the location description offered in the wiki to start off your post, as the coordinator of the area has already decided that is what the environment looks like. You may always use what is already established.

Here is what could be allowed, using your priceless example of Bob the Witless. Notice how only a little edit is necessary.

Your post wrote:
Wiki wrote:The sound of rope softly ticking against spar mingled with the cries of seagulls circling above. It was the ever present sound of the Dusk Sea that dominated the docks, where as people making merry could be heard in the distance, from the many taverns and brothels that offered food and entertainment to the less than savoury citizens of Nether's Gate.

A very small natural harbor, Rande's Landing is nestled between a natural barrier to the north and low, soft beaches to the south, beaches cluttered with planks, spars, and cordage and often used for ship maintenance. The dock itself is a single, sturdy pier reaching out beyond the tide wash into the Dusk Sea's diurnal tide, large enough for two large vessels at most. A veritable flotilla of smaller island-hopping craft can be seen either pulled up on the beach or tied to the boardwalk, small ships capable of crossing the Dusk Sea in three tides.

To the west, the nearby Hangman's Noose forms the center of town flanked by a forest of small, low, wooden buildings that make up the villainous hive. The infamous Scarlet Hydra can be seen at the far side of the Hangman's Noose square even from here, a building that, like much of Nether's Gate, never slept.

Bob wrote: Bob the Witless decided to be a pirate so wandered in Nether's Gate trying to get a position of a deckhand. While wandering he came across a seashell on the seashore. Bob picked it up, smelt it and tried to listen to the sea but the sand seeped in his ears. The silly pirate wannabe panicked thinking it was a snail or one of those land crabs skittering about. By gods, he was not the brightest star in the sky and screamed like a girl, "Ah!I be invaded! Siren's gots me!"

Bob ran from the beach towards the boardwalk towards the more busy area of the harbor. He frantically waved his hands, careless of the danger or just that desperate to receive help, and yelled pleadingly, "Help me! I'm doomed! It gots me it gots me!"
Last edited by Maeve on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Seth
Civus

Post by Seth »

Thanks. Now I have a better idea :)
Areana Coufot
Civus

Clarification on mods

Post by Areana Coufot »

Hi All

New here - busy creating my character. I am thinking that the career of my character will be a scout but still trying to figure out which race would be best.

Ok, so on the mods... I have played play-by-post RPGs before but never with mods who are involved in the plot. I have read the wiki and read the above posts but I am still not 100 percent clear. Maybe because I spent the last 2 hours reading the wiki and now my brain is fried!

First: Do the mods lay out the very first scene I ever post in, or do I post first in one of the "entrance" threads and then the mod takes it from there?

Regardless of how I get into the scene, once I am in, is it acceptable to post something like: Sierra walked slowly down the road, enjoying the light breeze. She noticed a man and a small child ahead of her and she quickened her pace, wanting to ask for directions.

(ok, ignore how boring and vague it is ).

Or, can I only say that my character is walking down the road, hoping to run into someone so that she can ask directions?

If I look at Finley's post, he/she (sorry, not sure), says that the previous poster is making assumptions about finding a shell, seeing a ship etc. I am just struggling to see how I can write an interesting post beyond mere description of what is in my character's head? or is that all that is allowed? :? Or can I write something like: Sierra walked down the road, stopping at the bar on the corner (assuming that the mod has said there is a bar). She hesitated and then stepped inside, looking around for any other patrons. Is that ok? (other than the fact that it is rather dull). I feel very silly that I can't get this mod issue, two bloody university degrees later! :oops: I should ask for my money back! lol :P

I will be looking through the current IC threads to get a feel for this but any assistance here would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by Areana Coufot on Mon May 19, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Hello there Chantilli,

Do the mods lay out the very first scene I ever post in, or do I post first in one of the "entrance" threads and then the mod takes it from there?

The easiest way to start play, is by posting in an entrance thread and a mod or supporter will take you from there. They might even give you a few recommendations for places to visit, or maybe a hint to where the action is, or maybe they'll won't do no such thing and just let you into the city. Who knows.

[hr][/hr]

Regardless of how I get into the scene, once I am in, is it acceptable to post something like: Sierra walked slowly down the road, enjoying the light breeze. She noticed a man and a small child ahead of her and she quickened her pace, wanting to ask for directions.

Nope, it's not. The breeze and all would be okay, unless the mod states there is a heavy downpour with thunder and lightning, just to mention something. However, NPCs, no matter how small, usually get inserted by the mods. For example, he might have the streets empty for some reason.

[hr][/hr]

If I look at Finley's post, he/she (sorry, not sure), says that the previous poster is making assumptions about finding a shell, seeing a ship etc. I am just struggling to see how I can write an interesting post beyond mere description of what is in my character's head? or is that all that is allowed? Confused Or can I write something like: Sierra walked down the road, stopping at the bar on the corner (assuming that the mod has said there is a bar). She hesitated and then stepped inside, looking around for any other patrons. Is that ok? (other than the fact that it is rather dull). I feel very silly that I can't get this mod issue, two bloody university degrees later! Embarassed I should ask for my money back! lol Razz

Yes, describing your actions is always good, as well as your thoughts. Especially since the thoughts give the mod an insight into your character and what to throw at him/her. The actions here are very okay. The bar is not an assumption of you, but it's a given fact by the mod. You do not assume there are patrons but look around for them. Now it's up to the mod to define the surrounding for you: whether or not there are any other patrons, the atmosphere in the bar, etc. etc. Of course the example you gave is short and maybe dull as you said, but you'll see that in no time posts will get longer. Even now, sometimes a veteran player has no more than a one line reply and it's sometimes even better than a full blown essay of 5000 words. (Insert exaggeration and sarcasm here ;))

Last note: it is a very good idea to look at IC posts. This gives you a feel of the area(s) and how the posting is done. It also shows you that both players and mods have very different styles of posting at times.

Apart from that, I look forward to seeing you around in Pax.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Morg

Re: Clarification on mods

Post by Morg »

Hi Chantilli - welcome to Tazlure! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. :)

chantilli wrote:First: Do the mods lay out the very first scene I ever post in, or do I post first in one of the "entrance" threads and then the mod takes it from there?

This depends where and how you start. When you create your character you'll have a Place of Origin and a Starting Place. If your place of origin is different from your starting place (say, your character comes from Dort but you want to play in the Citadel) then you have to post in the entrance thread in order to arrive. Some smaller locations, like Sierra and Nether's Gate, may not yet have an entrance thread, so if you want to start in one of these areas you should contact the coordinator.

chantilli wrote:Regardless of how I get into the scene, once I am in, is it acceptable to post something like: Sierra walked slowly down the road, enjoying the light breeze. She noticed a man and a small child ahead of her and she quickened her pace, wanting to ask for directions.

(ok, ignore how boring and vague it is ).

Or, can I only say that my character is walking down the road, hoping to run into someone so that she can ask directions?

If I look at Finley's post, he/she (sorry, not sure), says that the previous poster is making assumptions about finding a shell, seeing a ship etc. I am just struggling to see how I can write an interesting post beyond mere description of what is in my character's head? or is that all that is allowed? :? Or can I write something like: Sierra walked down the road, stopping at the bar on the corner (assuming that the mod has said there is a bar). She hesitated and then stepped inside, looking around for any other patrons. Is that ok? (other than the fact that it is rather dull). I feel very silly that I can't get this mod issue, two bloody university degrees later! :oops: I should ask for my money back! lol :P

You seem to have got the right end of the stick. :D The first example you posted is what you're not allowed to do - what Finley would call 'making assumptions'. Basically, you control your character, and the mod controls everything else: the world, the NPCs etc. If you've ever read/played one of those Choose Your Own Adventure books, where you turn from paragraph to paragraph making decisions, think of it a little like that - except that you aren't restricted to set choices, but can choose to do absolutely anything you like. How successful you'll be is of course another story!

This can seem really restrictive if you have experience of normal unmoderated PBPs, but it has its advantages too. First and foremost, Tazlure really is a 'game' in the proper sense of the word. Although you decide yoru character's actions, the outcome of those actions isn't in your hands, and so there's a real element of excitement. If you play your cards right, your character could become the ruler of a major nation - as recently happened to one player here - or a master of magic, or whatever. If not, character death is a real and painful possibility.

Another advantage, I find, is that it restricts me to thinking about my character within the character itself - it really helps get inside the character's head. I didn't consider myself a bad RPer before coming here, but looking back I can see how much better I've got.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Cross-posted with Thrandil. I should add that I heartily endorse all that he has to say. :)
Last edited by Morg on Mon May 19, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Since this is a very frequent question, does the wiki require updating on this point?
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Zenith Persimus
Civus

Post by Zenith Persimus »

Might as well, most people dont have experience in an rpg like this. Save people answering the question a billion times :P
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over and through me.
When it has gone I will turn to see its path.
Where fear has gone there is nothing.
Only I remain
[i]Avatar by Drakonis[/i]
Morg

Post by Morg »

I'm not sure we can do anything about it, to be honest. The wiki answers the question well enough. From the How To Play article:

Semi-freeform at Tazlure means that players make a character of their own, and this is all they control. Players may not control other player's characters or NPCs, they may not create or dictate location or setting, and they may not assume the success of their actions. In essence, all the player has control over is what their own character thinks, says, does, and tries to do.

A moderator will write locations, NPCs, and tell the player whether or not they succeed at actions they attempt to do. Bear in mind that discretion is key when deciding the success of actions - players may assume they succeed at lifting their own drink, or tying their shoelaces, of course! But they may not assume they manage to trip that NPC, or steal that purse, or scale the sheer wall - a moderator must decide that.

It is our belief that this moderation adds fun because things are unknown to the player, adding an element of chance and tension. If you are looking for true free form, Tazlure might not be the game for you.

That covers everything that's been said in this thread, and it's in a prominent spot in the wiki. What more can we do? Frankly I think that, for people without tabletop experience, the best way to learn the Tazlure style is by jumping in at the deep end and maybe making a few mistakes.

Or do people think that the above isn't enough? Should we create a more extensive article on [[Moderated Free Form]], perhaps? It might run the risk of causing the 'too long, didn't read' effect, in which case we'd be back to square one.
Zenith Persimus
Civus

Post by Zenith Persimus »

Im for the updated Wiki, at least that way when people ask a question you have a URL to refer them to. It wouldnt have to be ten pages long or anything, but just to answer the more specific questions.

Lots of people might not have rpg experience and just a curiosity and an urge to write, to them a more complicated game like Tazlure might be a bit over their head and most people are concerned about making mistakes when they first enter a game.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over and through me.
When it has gone I will turn to see its path.
Where fear has gone there is nothing.
Only I remain
[i]Avatar by Drakonis[/i]
Areana Coufot
Civus

Post by Areana Coufot »

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Think I have it now.

I don't think the current wiki is inadequate - I think that it is more difficult to understand if you have been engaged in PBP games 'til now. On another PBP site, I have been working on the same story line with another person that I have never met since 2003! There are no mods involved in the story - we "direct" the plot it ourselves, so unless the other player throws a complete curve-ball, i'm never too far away from what I had imagined. Anyway, this long ramble is just to point out that people who have some experience in this kind of game may struggle to understand the extent of the mods' involvement. I don't think the wiki is deficient.

Can't remember off-hand if the wiki does this, but maybe have a link to a story-line of maybe 4 or 5 posts with players' and mods' posts so that people can get a feel for how it works.

Ok, I should be working!

Oh, one more thing! I am leaving SA for The Hague to study. I leave in 3 months (EEK!) so if there are any players based there who wouldn't mind some PM correspondance, please let me know (i mean, the players themselves should let me know). I have about a zillion questions about The Hague, and this is my first trip off the continent of Africa.

Cheers all. See you IC :)
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

*chuckles* I'm Leiden based myself. What are you going to study?

Not sure if I'll be much help regarding The Hague though drop me a line if you want to. I'll go point somebody else I know to this thread to find you some local residents to chat with ;)
Last edited by Maeve on Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

*raises hand* The Hague born and raised and still living and working there :)

Drop me a line :)

Syra/Sanneke
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Areana Coufot
Civus

Post by Areana Coufot »

Ok, so I can't stay away from the boards. Going to do my Masters in Development Studies and Human Rights! Rather nervous, I must admit. Appreciate the offers for assistance. Will being PM-ing soon enough :)
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Not the Hague but Dutch though... ehm... off topic: Does this mean we'll be planning a taz party in say... 3 months aboutish? *halo* I mean... I never met an african tazzie before...

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

If I were to guess then I'd say that there is to be a Taz party in the first week of August ;)
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

That would be about right, Maeve *grin*
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]

Return to “Questions & Answers”