A Couple of Questions

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

A Couple of Questions

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

Hi, I'm Kittee, and after only a few hours of browsing the wiki, I have fallen in love with Tazlure and would love to play. I've been roleplaying online for many years and have owned or modded several games as well. In fact, over the years, I have learned that being in charge of a game causes me to lose interest faster than anything else. It took me a long time to learn, but now I know that all I want to do is write.

But I have never roleplayed in a forum-type environment, so I will be a complete newbie. But that's good. I love nothing more than learning new things ... and I adore a good challenge.

I have two questions. The first one's a bit silly, but I'm curious: I'm in my late forties. Will I be the oldest player in the game? It doesn't really matter. I have been the oldest player in several games, and the age of those I write with doesn't matter either ... one of the best players I ever wrote with was only thirteen. Like I said, I am just curious.

The second question has to do with character creation. As I was browsing through the information, getting a good overview of Tazlure ... as if flying in the air over it ... I spied a tiny figure down below waving. Dipping lower, I saw it was a young girl, jumping up and down to attract my attention. “Finally, you're here!” she exclaimed. “I have been waiting forever. Now my story can finally be told!”

And, of course, that is how a good character starts ... she tells you who she is and demands that you tell her story. However, her story is just developing, and I wonder if I could get some help with a few things so that I don't invent a character with overused traits or an occupation that is overly represented. I don't want to invent ... say ... a halfling bard if you have an overabundance of halfling bards. I want to create a character that is unique and yet fits seamlessly into the tapestry which is Tazlure. One with room to grow, and who can add something interesting to the game, rather than just existing within it.

I actually have several ideas running through my head, and I would hate to choose one and then find out that one of the others would have fit better into the game. And I might need a little help on an appropriate location. There are so many and even after I read through them all, I know I won't remember everything. You know what they say ... the mind is the first to go. Actually, in my case, it was the body, but don't tell anyone, ok?

I prefer not to ask a lot of detailed character-related questions over the board, so is there someone I can write to discuss these matters before I actually start a character sheet?

Thank you for reading this very long post, and if you think this is an indication that I will probably write long posts IC ... well ... you're right. I've never been known for the brevity of my posts, but that can be a good thing ... uh ... can't it? :-)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Greetings Kittee and welcome to Tazlure. I am fairly certain you would not be the oldest player in Tazlure though I don't have any age stats at my fingertips. As you said yourself, it is the writing that makes you welcome here. Age is details.

As for helping with character ideas, the moderator staff is very responsive to private messages (PMs) as integrating your character into Tazlure is what we want. If you have questions about a particular area of Tazlure, your best bet is to PM the coordinator of that area. Feel free to PM me any general questions you have and I'll see what I can do. If nothing else, I can point you at the people to ask.

-- Trist
Last edited by Tristam on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Our oldest player (no longer around) was 75, and we had several in their sixties. You will be pleased to know we've got several players in their forties and even more in their thirties. I dare say youngsters are in the minority in this game. I'm 37 myself btw, so I dare make that remark ;)

Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself. I do know what you mean about being in charge and losing interest. That is why we work with a team here, which helps keep the bounce. Feel free to PM any of us, though with the wiki you'll have a far estimation of what is going on where.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Thanks for your replies, Tristam and Maeve.

Tristam, I will probably PM you with some detailed questions within a week. I have a busy schedule for a short while. Meanwhile, I'll be absorbing the wiki to see if I can find some of my answers there, so I don't bother you too much.

Maeve, thank you for the details on player ages. It's nice to know this is a predominately adult group, although I have no problem writing with younger players. It helps me to know more about the level of realism and logic that is likely to be a part of the game. And I love your avatar!

I do have one other question. I have been browsing the threads to get a feel for the posting style. I am happy to find that long posts are the rule rather than the exception. I think I will feel right at home here.

Everything I have read so far is written by established characters. Are there any particular threads that I could peruse that show the entries of new characters, so I can know what to expect and how to plan the way my character should make her own entrance?

Kittee
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Most forums will have a thread specifically for the newly arrived to an area.

Citadel has the Harbor Gates for example: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15291

That should give you the idea of the usual gate guard question and answer. You should be able to follow them onto to their first threads from there with a little search fu.

-- Trist
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

My character's first thread: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15319

:D

Welcome to Tazlure!
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Post by Quinlan Corodin »

This got me thinking about when I got started with my current character, so I dug up...

...Quinlan's first post ever. (page 2)
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... c&&start=0

...and the first thread (other than an entrance thread) he ever appeared in.
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

None of it is awe inspiring or anything. Probably less than mundane. :P But I suppose my point is that nothing much has changed - except for World's Mouth no longer being open for play, of course. Your character has always been in Tazlure. It's just you're only beginning to publicize their activities. :D
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Hi, I'm Kittee, and after only a few hours of browsing the wiki, I have fallen in love with Tazlure and would love to play. I've been roleplaying online for many years and have owned or modded several games as well. In fact, over the years, I have learned that being in charge of a game causes me to lose interest faster than anything else. It took me a long time to learn, but now I know that all I want to do is write.

But I have never roleplayed in a forum-type environment, so I will be a complete newbie. But that's good. I love nothing more than learning new things ... and I adore a good challenge.

Upon rereading this thread the above made me curious what games you played online? chat? MUD? WOW? Did you roleplay table top (sitting at a kitchen table with friends) as well?

Forum gaming (also known as Play by Post or PBP) has its its own unique features. One of the things I had to get used to moving from table top to online was its speed. I adored the fact you can really put in a lot of thought and motivation though. The only thing one might miss if used to table top or chat is the a certain immediacy. That of course can be solved by hyperposting (posting frequently to the same thread in the space of a short time with fellow writers).

If you have any general questions I'm sure all of us can help figuring out the answers :D
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Most of the games I have played were PBeMs. There were some people who would post daily and some who would post monthly. A co-post written with other players could take several days or several weeks to write. One series of posts I wrote with another player lasted for over a year and turned out to be over 100 pages long when all the posts were pieced together.

I have read enough Tazlure posts to understand that it could take a while before I get a reply. That's fine with me. I doubt I will be a hyper-poster simply because of the thought I put into each post ... not to mention the length my posts tend to be. Generally, a reply will take me from one to three days. But if I do want to post more frequently, I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for me to do so, based on what I have read of Tazlure.

Incidentally, the only "tabletop" game I have played is an online DnD game held every week on IRC that my husband talked me into joining. I have been doing it for only a few months, and it is a far cry from what I am used to ... not character oriented at all, but action-oriented. It is difficult, but still a good challenge for my writing skills. In fact, in tomorrow's game, my character will turn into a dragon, and I must write the transformation in such a way that the other players know that she is not using her druid skills to make the change, but that another force is causing it. I'm looking forward to it.

And yes, I have a few more questions. The more general ones I will send to the forum so that the answers may help others as well as myself. The more specific ones I will PM to somebody. Tristam told me I could PM him (or is it her?) so I am about to send him a PM with some questions and ideas. In fact, I will send it to you as well, Maeve, so I can have your insight too.

Beware ... it's long ... but I think you are starting to realize how long-winded I am by now. :-)
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Tristam is a he and welcome to Tazlure! I'm pretty sure you'll have fun with us! Have you visited our chatroom? There are a lot of fun people visiting there almost everyday. You can use Trillian or Mirc. The server is darkmyst and the channel is #tazlure

Hope to see you there!

*huggles*
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Sando and Quinlan, thank you very much for offering your entrance posts for me to read. They have truly helped me in seeing the way entrance threads are done here. And both of you are quite good writers. I will want to read more about both your characters. :-)

Fauna, thanks for bringing the chatroom to my attention. I will most definitely visit it when I get a chance. It will be fun to talk to people I will hopefully soon be posting with. Although I have to admit, I'm always a bit wary when entering a chatroom for the first time. In a couple of them, even though I was invited, I was ignored at best and shown the door at worst. But somehow, I don't think it will be that way here. :-)

And thanks for the welcome.
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Hey there Kittee,

As a regular in the chatroom, and having been so for over 6 years (anyone, correct me if I'm wrong), I must admit that we are quite the helpful bunch to "newbies" at tazlure. Answering questions, offering advice... these are just two of the many things we do... but mainly we concentrate on fun of course :)

Kind reggers,

Thrandil

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008

Return to “Questions & Answers”