On Wealth and Inventory

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Anistis
The Tender

On Wealth and Inventory

Post by Anistis »

Hi! My name's Dan, and my character in progress is Anistis. I'm very taken with the world of Tazlure and am looking forward to playing.

If I understand what I've already read on the subject correctly, the Wealth skill was designed to allow players to simply assume ownership of possessions that are within their means, based on their level in the skill. However, browsing other players' sheets, I see that detailed inventory lists are still the norm. My question is simply whether I should edit my character sheet to include his (few) possessions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Dan
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Hey Dan,

First of all, the wealth skill is quite new. Less than a month, so it's natural to see a lot of those detailed inventory sheets around.
Secondly, I think it's a good idea to edit your sheet and give him the everyday things he'll most likely always visibly carry (or that are of special importance because of certain embellishment).

For example, a set of clothing, with one or two weapons et al, and maybe a few personal things. Don't just do this because I said so, if you think no weapons serves your character better, leave them out. Just an example after all.

In my opinion, the wealth skill is there just so that you don't have to pay for things that are within your skill level all the time. Like it would be useless if a captain of the guard could not just order some drinks and having to pay for it in character all the time. It takes time, slows things down, and lowers the pleasure in posting because it gets tedious. The wealth skill just speeds things up.

Kind regards,

Yet another Dan ;)

(Okay, Danny to be exact)

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Dan has the right of it, Dan. (That was fun to write.)

The long inventory lists are largely holdovers from before the wealth stat was introduced. So it is not a requirement to every last item your character might be carrying. On the other hand, it is a good idea to buy items that are personal to the character or something that would usually be beyond his means according to the wealth skill yet would make sense for him to have according to his background. Some of the heavier weapons and armor would fit that description for example.

Think of the inventory list as telling the mods what items are truly important to the character. It gives us another glimpse into the character and what you want out of your stay in Taz.

-- Trist
Last edited by Tristam on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Always good to meet another member of the Tribe of Dan (I know a lot of other Dans).

This clears it up perfectly. Thank you both very much, and I look forward to seeing you in Tazlure sometime.

-Dan #TK421
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Starting in King's Court are you? We're likely to meet up sometime then... :twisted:

When signs of smoke are seen at the horizon, your city is about to fall... :twisted:

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Ooo, ominous. I'm intrigued. 8)

I love the way you did your background on your character sheet, by the way.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thanks Anistis... I really think I should re-do it though... since things have changed a "leettle beet".

Although the style will be the same, it will just be with some more story and such... oh, I'll probably leave it like that at the sheet and just redo the wiki entry.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008

Return to “Questions & Answers”