Information overload

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Information overload

Post by Guest »

Hiya, I found this site about 3 hours ago and since then I have been reading, and reading, and pulling out my hair.

I've no idea where to start- there is just too much information to get my head wrapped around it all.

Here's what I've learned so far/decided:

My character is going to be human- cause then I don't have to be picky about location and- hey! I'm human so it should be a bit easier to play realistically in character.

I'm so confused...

First off- the wiki-- It is really more set up as reference and as a complete noob I'm not finding it very helpful at all. Every article has a ton of links and those links have links- etc.

The FAQ's arn't that helpful either- for instance the getting started faq directs me to the wiki (which as I said before is information overload). I followed the FAQ's advice and spent the majority of that three hour chunk of time reading odd bits in the wiki but not having a better grasp on the world (though I do now know a bit about the races.) But, for instance- the religions--- The Mother religion??? There are like a kagillion (okay about 3) Mothers- so in the race section when they say that a person of such and such a race often is part of the Mother religion- which bloody one are they talking about???

Since the wiki experience was quickly taking me to frustration city (I just want simple answers darn it! It terms a 6 year old could understand) I did the other thing that the FAQ recommended just start trying to make a character (which also directs me to the wiki). Besides that, I accidentally clicked on some link on the bottom of that page and it lead me to a form and now I cannot get back to that info page (and btw- the links in the form found when clicking the question marks don't work- For instance it says:
Your character's name, and any nicknames he/she may go by. For a list of names already used in Tazlure, and suggestions on picking your character's name, please see: On Picking A Name

Please note:
We prefer your loginname to be the same as your character's name.
But there are no links in that text...)

Anyways... Rant over.

I can see that other people seem to have navigated their way into the world (as there is a large member base.)

Are any of you willing to help out a noob-

Like for instance: in other rp's I've done before there is a quickstart type thing that has the bare bone basics all on one page. I understand that the world here is large- but large is intimidating. And I understand there is a beginners guide of sorts already in the FAQ and character creation bit- but those just don't go into enough detail.

And now I'm whining again.

What I mean to say- is this: Should I just grab a gallon of instant coco mix, a kettle, a comfy chair and my laptop and be prepared to spend the next few days/weeks reading all about the world and it's people.

Or is there a fast track option/ someone willing to mentor me?

Thanks, especially if you read this far without skimming/skipping (I give you two cookies!)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Hi Serey and welcome to Tazlure.

There is a lot of information to absorb and I'm not surprised it seems a little overwhelming. The good news is that reading through all that isn't required and we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

If you give me an idea of the kind of character you'd like to play, I can direct you towards the appropriate bits to read up on. Also, I know we'd be interested in what information you could not find or think needs to be placed up front. We are always looking to improve things.

So let us know how we can help and we'll get things rolling for you.

-- T
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Ok - best way to do it is to hit the wiki for reference...only...take it slow and all, hitting just the part you need.

You've decided to be human, which - as you say - does open up some doors.

I found it easiest to start up the character app process and take it a blank at a time. When it comes to 'hometown' and/or "starting location, hit the wiki and pllok at the places only. Don't feel that you have to hit every link on each page, just the main links for locations like "Citadel", "Roque d'Ancourt", etc.,

Each of those pages will give you info about that city. Go ahead and leave background blank (except for a 'to be announced' note, of course), fill in the other blank and go to skills.

The different skills on the character app sheet are listed in detail in the wiki (linked from the first page) as well as bear a 'what's this' button in the character app. Skill the char out and write down what skills you take. Rest of the app is easy from there (shopping), then do your background write-up (4-6 paragraphs) explaining where you are from, how you grew up, how you got your skills, etc.,

After that (and after approval), you may just need to hit the wiki for little things like reading up on the other races (to deal with them) our currency, measurements of time, etc.,

We know it's packed with info and you, the player, can help after joining by helping to contribute to the wiki - perhaps learning the ropes and writing a faq that would 'help someone like you', see? :D

Glad that you are interested in playing and the #tazlure chat room is good for guidance, etc., although many of us will...point you to the wiki.

(Big difference is most of us link to the exact wiki page you need...lol)

Hope this helps. Let us know if it doesn't.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.

Post by Guest »

Things I found easily:

Races.

Where I'm currently stuck:

Where those races live- for instance the elven race is said to live in Pan's Isle. But in the list of available/unavailable locations there is no Pan's Isle. Okay- so the next step I took was to look Pan's Isle up in the wiki while keeping another browers open for both the list of available locations and elven information. I read that whole thing and do not find a single mention/link to any of the locations mention on the other page.

So I click on Empire of the Seven Isles- as that is really the only other place mentioned...

That page was really long so I did a search for Pan's Isle and found only two mentions- one in a history section and another saying that so and so rules the place. But I still have no earthly idea where Pan's Isle is...

Repeat that frustrating process for just about everything I've looked up.

I have no idea what I want to do game wise because I've not even a basic grasp on the setting.

Usually in these sorts of games I like to play a half elf- and perhaps that's my problem (and why I'm just considering going human.) The half elf section says that they are born where humans and elves both live (makes sense) But since I can't even figure out where they both live (let alone trying to understand the religious system...)

Anyways...

I think an overview page would be great: for instance- the religions. Is it kind of like ancient Greece/Rome where there are both monotheistic and polytheistic religions. So that the mono's thing they've got it figured out. And the poly's believe in all god's but pledge their alligence to one god??? If so- why not just say so? If not- I'm sure there is a way to sum up the religious system in 250 words or less.

I'm also hunting for a map... I think a map would help solve a lot of my geographic blahs....

Thanks for the quick reply... It's late where I am so sorry if I'm typing babble/not making much sense.
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Serey wrote:Things I found easily:

Races.

Where I'm currently stuck:

Where those races live- for instance the elven race is said to live in Pan's Isle. But in the list of available/unavailable locations there is no Pan's Isle. Okay- so the next step I took was to look Pan's Isle up in the wiki while keeping another browers open for both the list of available locations and elven information. I read that whole thing and do not find a single mention/link to any of the locations mention on the other page.

In the links on the left hand side of the quick links, you will see a listing of locations. Each of those breaks it down into a census-like listing for that city and shows you population percentages. The Adheil (elves), for example, make up about 80-something percent of Roque d'Ancourt's population (a playable area) and made up a large portion of Taquar's population (a non-playable area), etc.,

The races are fairly diffused over the entire globe, but some places are 'hotspots' where others might just see a handful of this race in their town.

So I click on Empire of the Seven Isles- as that is really the only other place mentioned...

That page was really long so I did a search for Pan's Isle and found only two mentions- one in a history section and another saying that so and so rules the place. But I still have no earthly idea where Pan's Isle is...

Repeat that frustrating process for just about everything I've looked up.

Ok - Easiest way to solve this detour is to take a closer look at the main game listings on the main forum page. The game locations like Aveas, Citadel, etc., are the PLAYABLE locations. Write those down and look up only those locations in the wiki for now. The rest is great history, but a bit confusing, as you have pointed out. Just focus on the areas that you can play in for now.

I have no idea what I want to do game wise because I've not even a basic grasp on the setting.

Usually in these sorts of games I like to play a half elf- and perhaps that's my problem (and why I'm just considering going human.) The half elf section says that they are born where humans and elves both live (makes sense) But since I can't even figure out where they both live (let alone trying to understand the religious system...)

I am not trying to recruit you by any means, merely offering help, but I mod Roque d'Ancourt (which is why it shows up in most of my examples) which has a high adheil population as well as a good human and 'half-elf' population.

Perhaps, if you want to go with what you are comfortable with, you might read up on Roque since it is certainly a city where the mixed breeds would 'hail from'

Anyways...

I think an overview page would be great: for instance- the religions. Is it kind of like ancient Greece/Rome where there are both monotheistic and polytheistic religions. So that the mono's thing they've got it figured out. And the poly's believe in all god's but pledge their alligence to one god??? If so- why not just say so? If not- I'm sure there is a way to sum up the religious system in 250 words or less.

The One/Dominicus is like Catholicism, 'mother/pan' like the pagan religions (wicca, grecian, etc.,) and so forth. It's just like the religions of Earth. QUITE a variety and hard to sum up in even 250 pages - but we try.

I'm also hunting for a map... I think a map would help solve a lot of my geographic blahs....

http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Tazlure_Globe

The link is on the main/first wiki page under "World Map"

Thanks for the quick reply... It's late where I am so sorry if I'm typing babble/not making much sense.

Not a problem. :D
Last edited by Gutter Rat on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.

Post by Guest »

Thanks! I think you did an excellent job summing up the religions in under a quarter K.

And I so welcome your advice. I'm off to bed right now. But tomorrow I'm going to actually follow it. I think it will all be okay.

Thanks, again.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

I would also suggest popping into the Tazlure chatroom (#Tazlure) if its possible for you. The room almost always has someone in it, and I don't know anyone here that wouldn't answer a question or two.

Might be a good way to get a few quick answers, meet a few other players and mods that are on at the same time you are, and they can probably point you in the right directions right away!

We don't bite, I promise!
Last edited by Vanadius on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

This link is pretty much our quickstart
http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Introd ... _Character
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Also, a little confusion about Pan's Isle may be because it is a part of a group of islands called Aveas now, so it is probably referred to that way more often. Unfortunately, our Wiki on Aveas is not up-to-date (it's obviously not a colony), nor is the Wiki on Pan's Isle. But it does still have some good information.

http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Pan%27s_Isle

Really, just try to only worry about YOUR areas first. Look up information on the starting areas, such as population, religion, et cetera. Then, look on the boards! Based on the number of threads, you can get a pretty good idea of how popular the area is, and a loose idea of what's going on. Each section of the threads usually has a post telling about locations, or at least a link to the proper Wiki page. The rest is really imagination: shape your character as you like, then place them into a setting. If you have any more questions after that, making threads like this is a perfect idea. We will always be glad to help. :)
Last edited by Ly Binh Hue on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15174]Hue artwork[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all your help, you guys.

I did it! And managed to submit the first draft of my character. And I've managed to become decent at navigating my way through the wiki.

Guess all that's left now is checking out that chat room...

Return to “Questions & Answers”