Swashbucklerish Question

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Shea Artrien
Civus

Swashbucklerish Question

Post by Shea Artrien »

Hail and Well met.

I've been lurking around Tazlure for awhile now, trying to get a handle on the world in general and just what exactly is going on. Its a lot to take in, but I'm working through it. The world in general is facinating, and the level of rping skill is pretty impressive.

I'm working on a character and need a bit of help in dealing with his starting location as well as where I want to play.

To explain without putting his entire history up for public display, the basic concept is this: I want to try to roleplay the "Swashbuckler" experience.

What that means exactly, I'm not sure at this point, and frankly, I don't want to know. I just want to try and take a character through that lifestyle and see what happens. A somewhat dashing, daring, smart-mouthed hero/anti-hero who lives mostly by the seat of his pants.

He's going to start as a Sailor, and see where that goes...will he become a Pirate? A Privateer? A smuggler? A navy officer? I dunno, and the fun will be in seeing what happens to him.

Now, all that was the setup for this question: Where is a good place for a Sailor to get started? Obviously, Nether's Gate is a good place for Pirates...but I don't necessarily want to start him down that dark path right away. Is there another or Better place to get started?

Something that just occured to me as a factor as well: Where will I be able to most easily get involved with other player-run-characters?

To sum up, where do I start?
Heheh. I guess I could have just said that, huh? But where would the fun have been in that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Yeah, I'm a talker.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of nwvault.ign.com[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hmmm, this is an interesting question.

Swashbucklers thrive in urban area so that would be a must, and thus certain areas are not going to cut it for you.

I would suggest either Dort or Roque, and to a certain extent Citadel. Dort is the center of trade and as such likely to have a well developed sailing and maritime community. Roque too has been developing in such a direction and there is talk that they are linked with Nether's Gate so he could develop. Were it open Muchislie would be a perfect choice, but that is something that may happen in the future.

Hope this helps you.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

It helps quite a bit, thank you.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Yes... In Roque, we have many buckles in need of swashing. In fact, there is a great opportunity for a sailor, just doing his job, to witness members of his crew sneaking things off of the ship that are not on the manifest (piracy/smuggling) and either confronting or joining them as Roque is getting more and more into the smuggling biz.

Not trying to coerce, just agreeing with GW and, as Roque's mod, giving a bit more insight into opportunity.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

I think Shay just might set sail over to Roque. Consider me coerced.
;)

Return to “Questions & Answers”